Speaker 1: Master Class.
Speaker 2: The Master Class with Real is brought to you by Decorates joe bergs Africa's premier decor and design expo, and we're going to be exploring how cutting edge technology is transforming modern homes, from smart appliances to energy management, home automation, automation, and even how AI is finding its way into our living spaces.
Speaker 1: So I want to find out from you.
Speaker 2: I mean, are there any tasks you fully automated in your home? Do you trust AI to manage things like security, lighting or energy?
Speaker 1: How? How ahead of the curve are you here?
Speaker 2: And then is it possible to even keep up with the curve? Things are changing so quickly, aren't there all the time? So I'd love to hear from you. Just remember our phone numbers are one to one double A three seven two. You can tweet me at radio seven o two using the hashtag se no two afternoons. You can email me on seven oh two afternoons at seven o two dot co, dot z or WhatsApp me on seven two seven o two one seven oh two. You can also send what'sapp, voicemails, voice notes and we'll play those. You can also SMS me briefly on three one seven o two and also send a message on the YouTube homepage if you are watching us through that. My guests on this masterclass is smart Living is Nission pla digital and academic of Digital transformation Space and Laserdi Lebojor, Managing director of Techroid Solutions. A very good afternoon to both of you.
Speaker 1: Can Hi, Nishan Li Sadi.
Speaker 2: Let's start off with you when we talk about and let's start basic when we talk about a smart home, what exactly is that?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, thank you very much for putting into Jane so smart poly so thick about appliances that you have in your house. It could be that would be your spots, could be your feede right that energy right, So, so smart home technology is integration.
Speaker 1: Oh is that a smart intervention there? Yeah?
Speaker 3: We can we can go ahead, okay, okay, thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, so it has a long chain right from energy monitoring and the devices themselves. Right. But in order for you to you know, necessarily understand how the ecosysteam works, it's all about you know, how automation or acts with devices and integration to to to like the likes of your mobile phone that you can use to control you control everything in your home.
Speaker 1: Nissan, Do you want to add to that? I mean, what are you seeing?
Speaker 4: So I think, I mean, a smart home is really about the customer. It's the use, it's me and you, and so I think the idea of smart home, or the evolving of smart home has been around a technology they call Internet of Things, which is this idea that you know, your fridge traditionally wasn't ever connected to the internet, or you know, your kettle or your doorbell, and so now things that were in your home for a while and now connect to the internet, and what are the possibilities of that that integration and that sinking of the of those appliances together. So smart home really is around the For me, it's around the efficiencies it brings to the users of that house by connecting things we wouldn't have thought could be connected to the internet.
Speaker 2: So if that's cooled the smart home, I wonder what you call a home full of smart people.
Speaker 1: Smart smart home.
Speaker 4: With a lot of books. It's a lot of books into.
Speaker 2: Integrated books nissansor I mean, tell us what's out there? I mean, there's so many things like Alexa, Google Home, Apple Home Kit, I mean.
Speaker 1: What are they?
Speaker 2: What are we seeing from the lights that are out there to the appliances that we can have access to.
Speaker 4: So, Jena, I must tell you I love this topic. It's really because I'm not just speaking from a point of theory. I've had a smart home in an integrated home for a few years now, so experimented as the technology has gotten to the mainstream, and so you find that Android is probably the leader, at least locally in terms of integrating tech and smart homes because I think it's it allows the platform is open to a lot of third party integrations, which means, you know, you can connect a lot into it compared to Apple, So the two big ones, Apple and Android, and so what is out there. At the very basic level, You've got your you know, your lights that you can adjustifire your cell phone to the point where your fridge can order groceries if it sensors that missing milk and so it can tine and order groceries. Or you can control your sound by your voice, or you can pause your your Netflix as you're watching with your voice. So there's a range of solutions, and ultimately it boils on being connected on the Internet and sitting on a platform. So Android is simply a platform where that integrations happen. But as an example, if you have a make of fridge, whether it be Algae or whether it be Samsung that has a platform, and so a lot of the smart tones do depend on what platform you choose to integrate and get the value from.
Speaker 2: And Lecedie, what are you seeing? How smart is your home?
Speaker 3: Now? What I have in my house is just as smart TV afric Alexa, but I bell implemented it because it doesn't support most of the appliances, especially in sortificated implemented INCA. So once once the reedit to implement locally, I'll be able to use a Lexa.
Speaker 5: And yeah, I also there's smart lighting you know where if it's like x p M, I cantroll it just you know, you know, light the lights and then it's in the morning six am the lights just reach off.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's what I have currently.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go back to that French because that absolutely fascinates me. So say you say you short of milk Nation, how does it I mean, what does it do?
Speaker 1: So it alerts you that we've got a shortage of milk.
Speaker 2: Does it get through to pick and pay or checkers or Willis or whatever you fancy.
Speaker 1: What's the next step.
Speaker 4: So I think there's stages of automation. So one of the things it does is its similar to kind of the if you've heard about the Amazon ghost stores, and these are stores where there's no cashiers and you go in and you pick an item, and you walk out, and it automatically knows what you've put into your trolley and and it charges you for it. What it does is the fridge can either work on image recognition. So what you do is you'll have a place to put your fridge and I mean for it to put your milk, and a place where you put your vegetables. And what you do is you'll give it an inventory and you'll say, you know, I've now I now added these grosses into you. And what it does is it either uses weight or it uses image recognition to know actually you're low on these on these quantities. And so what you can do is you can display the missing items, so it goes you know, you need these things because this is what you put in the beginning of the month, and now you have by the middle of the month, you've you've reduced, and this is what you need. But what you can also do is you can tighten an automation or smart workflow. And so the minute your milk gets below a certain point, it can trigger routine. So I don't want to be I don't want to use too many because you know, when you live in the tech world, you can often use words that a lot of people don't necessarily instinctively get.
Speaker 1: So routine, I'll give you an example of it.
Speaker 4: So I'll give you an example of routine. When I get up in the morning. I've got a Google Home speaker in my bathroom, right and the speaker is part of an ecosystem of speakers through my house. And what I'll do is I'll go and I won't say hey and the word because it'll activate my smart systems in my office. But I would say to Google a good morning. That routine goes into a its platform, and the minute I say good morning, it kicks into several routines. One is it gives me time of the day, It gives me weather, it tells me how long to get to work. I've also added that it must tell me a funny joke. I like a good smile on my face in the morning, it'll tell me any outstanding tasks I have. So if I've put any reminders into into you know, over the lo it'll tell me the reminders and perhaps my meetings for the day if I have, and how long it will take me to get to those meetings. And then it goes into my news reports. So there's several like tech check or CNBC that often have podcasts that they release once a week. It will then play those in order that I wanted to find little play raterers. So this is the routine I kicked in by simply saying good morning. It kicks into this while I'm shaving, brushing my teeth, et cetera. And so these are smart workflows, and so you build these, you know, as you use smart you can build these routines in. And that's how the fridge would work. You'd build a routine in and it could easily API into your Checkers app and place the order.
Speaker 2: Got I do love the idea of that because it also focuses you nicely in the morning. For example, if you've got everything set up for you, We've got a caller on the line from Johannesburg, David who owns a business and I think you've got a question around SLA.
Speaker 6: Hello David, Hi, good day.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 6: So we're a company that install for both residential and commercial installations. We use a product that is AI driven. The products for the residential site will learn your load profile and will automatically read the load shedding schedule and understand how much battery capacity you need for a two hour or four hour load shedding and automatically charge your battery ahead of a load shedding should you have not enough battery capacity for that's determined load shedding. You can also add smart switches on tur its so for excess solar you can then heat up your gizer with excess solar or run non essentials off the excess solar, like your heat, your pool pump, your heat pump for your gizer, whatever it might be. For companies, we can also install it so that you can take advantage of the different time of uses, so you can now snot arbitraging power, so you can charge the batteries off grid and then discharge it during high peak time off peak and peak, so you can make a saving like that, and it's all integrated by AI and the system continue learns your load profile and continues to improve the efficiency of the plant using the assets that you required, either the solar panels, batteries, whatever it might be. So it's all a driven.
Speaker 2: And David a premium for that kind of information.
Speaker 6: No, so it all comes standard with the package. The product is very very well priced. What comes with a ten year warranty on the batteries and the inverters far better than what's currently out there with the other products. They've only got a five year warranty and it's a swap out warranty, so it's it's not a carry in repair warranty, and it's all come standard and part and parcel of the products, so it rarely very it's a it's a very clever system. And for businesses, specifically for business big commercials. We can save customers thousands millions in a year just by working heavily with the time of use, demand charges and so forth. So it's it's a very very viable solution for businesses and reservation.
Speaker 2: Sadie, What do you make of that? I should imagine you see quite a bit of that in the word that you do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely techinically, Jim, Yeah, so I think nowadays, Like I referend who stays in the US, right, he got one of his houses in so you know what he does he cons his home with smart ticketage while it's in the US. So I think once we adopt to tech and understand how it works, it will be you know, efficient and use of the in a on a user's perspective to use smart technology definitely is much you know, more helpful is spicly going in South Africa.
Speaker 1: Okay, David, thank you very much for those comments.
Speaker 2: And it's wonderful to know what is what's out then and what we have access to. I mean a nasion. I mean, I suppose smart technology in a way, it can make us a whole lot smarter, right once we learn how to control the information that goes into it.
Speaker 4: So Jane, it's it's right because technology can't exist by itself, so there's no use to it. And so the technology by itself, we've got to go what do we want it to do? You know? And as an example, I'll give you an example recently. Ring. So Ring is mostly in America, but Ring is a digitized doorbell. So what it is is it's a doorbell that has a camera, on it, and so in America it's quite popular and Ring recently announced that they have AI built into their platform. So what they will do for premium users is that if somebody rings your doorbell, it will automatically identify who it is and it will send you a message to say, this person is at your door. Now that's quite interesting because some people people would say, well, is that not an invasion? You know, like what sort of information are they collecting to be able to identify me? While other people might say, I'd love to know before I open my camera and look at it and open the door, I'd love for an ogation to say, you know, Jane's at the door, Niches at the door, or you know that mother in law is at the door. You know, you'd love that kind of information. But people have a different view on it. Is it about being too invasive or it does it add value? And ultimately it's got to be where it'd add value. So the previous caller talked about a system that adds value, and that's what you've got to decide is how much is going to add value? Because maybe a fridge that's going to cost you one hundred thousand ran that simply tells you what's missing in the fridge is maybe doesn't add as much value as you like, but perhaps speakers that you could say, please play a song for me and you anyway in the house and it plays that song could be massively valuable to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a listener wants to know the name of that fridge. I mean, where do you find these fridges and how much can you pay?
Speaker 4: So they are quite extensive. So the fridges that have that are connected to the Internet and they generally have LEDs LED displays on the front of the fridge. I know Algae and Samsung and there's some boutique technology companies that are working on it. Those fridges. They are going to be very expensive. So you would look at probably close to one hundred or two hundred thousand rand for a fridge that will tell you what's missing in it. The capability is there, and the question is whether you know any new technology is massively EXPERI I remember when I started experimenting in the space, it was expensive to buy my first Google speakers, but as time went by, an Xbox had it integrated as part of its console. So now I had it into Greatest as part of the tech I was buying. And so now the price point has dropped significantly to be able to automate QR I mean little NFC tags that can enable some of this automation. Sometimes five rand for a little sticker. So the price has come down, but it's almost separating the trend from what is functional in your life and what will become useful for you.
Speaker 2: Nicka from Polokwania, I have that answers the question about the fridge, and le said Nicko also wanted to know.
Speaker 1: About the TV.
Speaker 2: You were talking about the smart TV, but I think what you were saying was that maybe it's not smart enough.
Speaker 1: You could definitely go smarter. What direction would you go?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 3: I would say, you know and the best when it comes to smart TV, so that like basic stuff like you know, your Netflix, intact it with your Gmail account so that it can have access to all of those so so so the smartest of the television, it's more around you know, asking the's a Netflix switch, say if you want to to to watch at that stage or you could easy to go to you know, any other channel and you know, use your voice to access the til that you want to you want to watch at that stage smaller tis that we have currently that we use.
Speaker 1: And process.
Speaker 2: Smart technology to help me to be more efficient with energy or to improve security is absolutely a necessity. But a smart fridge is an absolute waste of money and promotes laziness. Just check what needs you need yourself, stand up and go and buy it.
Speaker 1: I mean he's got a good point, hasn't.
Speaker 2: I mean, do you do you think the smart technology starts to make us lazy? Do we start relying on on this technology when actual fact we should be doing it ourselves.
Speaker 4: Jane, you know there was I was sorry, Sorry, sorry, I got ahead. Oh okay, I was saying that, Jay. I mean recent research came out that said that, you know, use of chatch Ept like jenitebay I can actually make us dumber and and and I think the question is about what skill do you need to experiment now that will become a norm in the future. So uh, it's it's I think I believe it is necessary to experiment with technology in your home. So if you, if you allow me, I'll give you an example. I've got a I've got an h old daughter, and I've been talking to my house for many years, you know, asking it to for a recipe to play a song, to pause the TV, to switch on the lights, and children learn from what you do and h The other day, I was at gym and my my Spotify account. The song I was listening to completely changed, and I was wondering, what is going on into some Korean kind of song, you know, k pop, And so I changed it back and it changed again, and I realized that what had happened was my daughter was engaging with my home So she was chatting to my Android system, my Google home hub and asking it to play a song that she had heard on TV or something she watched on Netflix. And so she had learned to engage. Maybe so she had engaged with that technology, and so she has now learned to skill to how you ask technology to give you something, because there's a very specific way you've got to ask it to play a song on Spotify, so not just a song on its native app, but through a specific platform. And so now I've got to actually create a profile for her in a voice print for her because she's engaging with the technology. And so I believe that the needy is we've got to experiment with the technology, We've got to play with it, because if we don't, then the future is going to pass us by. So the minute we have more tech, think of smartphones. You know you we removed but from smartphones. If we weren't playing with the technology and need it in our life, we would never have We never learned the skill of operating a phone without buttons, and now zero buttons on the phone. And so the question is what's skilled do you want to learn in terms of tech that's going to add value to your life going forward. So I do believe you have to experiment with it. Maybe it isn't the fridge, because the fridge is I do agree, you've got to get up and look at what's in your fridge.
Speaker 2: We all want to know that we can afford it, but maybe we shouldn't go that route.
Speaker 4: But there's other aspects where it's good to learn. It's good to know how you engage with your voice assistant on your phone. Why because you don't want to touch your phone when you're driving. But if you know how to engage with your assistant, you can easily make a call, sender WhatsApp, check your messages without picking up your phone, and that could be useful as well as safe.
Speaker 2: All right, we're speaking about managing transforming modern homes and what it is that you need to do to upgrade your home to get a smart home with my guests Nasion Pillay and lace Le Bojo, and we're going to be taking your questions and your WhatsApp notes which have been coming through seven or two masterclass, so master Class today Smart Living, How technology is transforming modern homes.
Speaker 1: Norman has sent us a voice.
Speaker 7: Note, Good afternoon, Jane. Very interesting topic, nomen in pretoria. But what I'd like to find out is what happens if you take a system like the ring that he's talking about. What happens then when the authorities come and say, we would love to have access to this system, so that if your system recognizes the most wanted medaer that the police have been chasing and it says that this person is outside the door at XYZ address, we want to be able to get that inform mention immediately from your system and then being able to act. Would the company that runs this system have their right to say no? Or does a country just basically make a rule and a law that then makes it impossible for them to say no?
Speaker 2: JHN Nasion soon as you brought up that doorbell, would you like to answer that?
Speaker 4: Thanks, Jane, I'm having a good smile because it is often with technology were the fear is the first thing that comes up, right, like what happens with our data? And this was an interesting case. I mean, ultimately it's about trust, and so the question is the brands you're engaging with, do you trust them? So there was a case in America where Apple, they had actually asked Apple for data and Apple had said no, and they went into a court case where the government wanted data. And so the question is do you trust ring to be able to protect your data and not use it? So, as an example, I always think of you know, we see those Vooma tel towers, you know the cameras they're all over Jannersberg. They've got cameras and they and they ultimately have some version of AI or software built in where it's image number plate recognition, and so the question is do we trust that they are keeping the data for themselves? So, as an example, if I wanted to track a cheating partner, can I have access on a prepaid basis to track a number plate and see where it goes around the city? You know, the question is do you trust that the intention you give your data for is used? So Poppy says, the intention whatever you signed off that data, so you signed off the contract, the intention that you had it must be used for that. But we know with spam calling, we know, you know, databases and information gets shared, and so for me, it always comes down to how much do you trust. I've got a lot of information in the Android ecosystem, but it's because it's given me value, It's given me no reason to doubt it, and I trust it, whereas other people it might be a different experience. For me, it's it's not. It doesn't come down to the ts and cs. It comes down to reputation and trust of the brand that you're engaging with, because they ultimately hold you down the city.
Speaker 2: I mean, what sort of research should you do? What should you be looking for when you're buying this type of equipment?
Speaker 1: What are the red flags?
Speaker 3: I think what you need to do is to, let's say Phillips that has the specific the technology you need to, you know, go through their website and research more at the product that they have because they're the ones who knows more about the product, right they will tell you, you know, the posts and contact at the product. You know how efficiency the product is, you know, how can the product help you, you know those kinds of things. Yeah, so what I would say, I would say, uh, research base is more into you know, going through their website to understand specifically what that products have. You know, more information about the product.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, somebody has asked how we get in touch with both of you, and we can get that information out just closer to the top of the hour, so we will get onto that. Jackie sent a funny message saying jen z z z lived dangerously answering the phone without knowing who's calling, and swinging milk from the fridge past itself by date.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, absolutely right.
Speaker 2: A message here from Sarana saying, Hi, Jen currently have about twenty nine smart devices, ranging from air cons speakers, lights, humidifier and heaters. But I can never find myself buying a fridge and washing machine. They're not smart enough yet you still have to put the dishes and laundry and that's the hard part. The downside is the subscription costs to many devices.
Speaker 1: Nission.
Speaker 4: It is because you know, there's a model called platform business model and platform business models is where like Android, it's not on the devices where they make their money. They make their money on the platform, which is the software. And so quite often it's a subscription service. So as an example, I don't want ads on my YouTube, I pay for a description. I want Spotify to not play with ads. I purchase a premium Spotify and so annuity income is key for a lot of these tech which is income that is recurring, and so there's a lot of subscriptions for the different services use. So my advice on the cost is try to pick an ecosystem. To try to find an ecosystem, I've chosen Android, and so as an example, any connectors, I'll buy a dumb TV as an example, I'll buy a standard TV that doesn't have any smart capabilities, and I would buy a media player Android media Player, and I connect it to the smart TV. I'm into the dumb TV and what it does. It gives me the functions of a smart TV, but in an Android ecosystem, so I don't have to be on a Samsung Eco half the while. Yeah, exactly. So it's it's value for money I would and so I would buy so I wouldn't buy a smart light. What I would do is buy it and excuse it me calling it dumb, you know, but I would buy a dumb light, and I would I would buy a little switcher that connects to the internet that simply turns the electricity on and off on that light, and so I can talk to my my Google ecosystem and I can switch the light on and off, even though I'm not paying the cost and getting into a different platform of a different lighting system.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's stick with costs.
Speaker 2: Let's say, I mean, how realistic is it for the average South African to adopt smart home solutions? Is there a good way of getting in getting your toe in there? I mean, do you start with plugs? Are they smart plugs? What's your advice?
Speaker 3: So I would say you would start with, you know, small devices that are avoriable. I'd seen you know, turners and marketplace where you can buy the same product that some song silly you could also go through to say you do I apply it to ali that devices that do cheaper than buying from some some which will you know add more quostly And so I would say, rather you do your research on you know which other bands are there are that cheaper that you can go for.
Speaker 1: And nishan if you were to start.
Speaker 2: I mean, one of the things in my home that drives me absolutely bonkers is plugs. And I've got, you know, one plug and it's got the wire coming out and four wires coming out. I can't stand. It drives me mad. I don't know if there is a smart plug option out there. I mean, is that a good way of starting? Should you start with that kind of framework? Let's get the plugs in, let's get that talking to the TV?
Speaker 1: What what way?
Speaker 4: I would say? I mean it always comes down to the value to you, because you could follow a trend and it adds no value to you and it becomes you know, it becomes useless in your life. I would find, what is the thing that you want to automate? Is it you don't like putting the light on and off on your bedside table? You want to which the fountain on outside, but you don't want to walk outside and turn them and put on the plug. Do you want to pause your TV? Do you want? You know, find the thing you want? You know, for some people it might and for a lot of people, I mean friends have given this advice to their coffee machines. So quite often that you know, you don't want to go to the coffee machine, you groggy in the morning and then have to turn it on and now wait for it. And so you like that it comes on at a certain time and when you go down, it's nice, it's hot, it's perfect drinking temperature, ready to go. And so a lot of people go, Okay, I've got this coffee machine. Let me buy a smart plug. And then once that plug is smart, once that that, once you've connected that plug to the internet and your platform, you could put on and off times. You can. You can talk to your phone say switch on the coffee machine and it will. It will then actricity on, it'll it will switch on. And you know, you can get these things as cheap as one hundred to one hundred and fifty rand for a Wi Fi enabled plug. And so it's simply it's between your electricity and your device and it's simply an on and off switch. But it's connected to the internet. And I mean recently, I mean I always like stories, Jane. I'll tell you another one. I was buying bulbs for the house and my daughter said, I said, what color cool white or warm white? And she went rainbow color. I went, okay, but you know that's not gonna work. But through that conversation we ended up buying a Wi Fi enabled bulb for her for her night light, and so now she can actually change the color of a night light because the bulb changes color, and so that for her added maximum value and it's simply a way to engage with technology.
Speaker 1: Fascinating. God, She's going to be the coolest little kid, isn't she.
Speaker 2: We're going to keep talking about how technology is transforming modern homes and how to go about It's a quick spot break Nextler two masters. All right, we're talking about how to make your home smart. And there is a question here about home equipment has been very susceptible to lightning damage and expensive to replace.
Speaker 1: Let's SAIDI do you want to answer that that's a problem, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yes, it does you know affect you know as so what I would say is that you know, some brands, it's difficult for them to fix that you know product like at that specific time. It might take you know some time to go and fix it. But I would say it is better if you know the company isn't isn't in the certificate market. It does you know, local support where they could do it locally and then fix it in in tailia as.
Speaker 2: Let's say Lebojo, Managing director of tech Roid Solutions. I'm going to put this voice note to you, nishi and academic in the digital transformation space, let's listen to it.
Speaker 1: It's from Kyle Jane.
Speaker 8: The smart home debate always needs to come down to what do you expect something to do. I think we watched The Iron Man once and thought that a smart home can do all of that. To some degree, it can, but if you're going to go down this streete, it's important to look into your options. There's an open source platform called homer Systems that most people use, and this allows all smart devices, or almost all smart devices, to talk to almost all other smart devices, so you're not stuck onto one company's platform.
Speaker 4: For example, I.
Speaker 3: Have my cameras.
Speaker 8: My cameras can act as therefore as motion sensors, and if it's a cat that opens up the water sprinklers and sprays cats that come into my property. So none of those or all of those four different systems are from four different companies, but you are able to allow them to integrate into one central.
Speaker 2: Huby Nicham, would you like to respond to that? And I must say, it sounds confusing. Is it something that somebody like me could do?
Speaker 4: So the Jane, the thing is it's around trying and error and trial and error. So you know, sometimes we talk about the use cases, like the first time we did it, it worked, and I'm sure the caller before before he got the system working in terms of the sprinklers and the cat and the and the and the cameras, there was probably a lot of trial and error and failure. And we often think failure is a bad thing, but it's not because that's where the learning comes from. And so you've got to be able to experiment. So Jane, to answer your question directly, it's not you can absolutely get into this. It's simply if you go into a store and you buy a smart plug or you audit online, you plug it into your coffee machine, you're connected via the instruction. Now you've got your coffee machine working, but maybe you can't get the right voice, and then you're experimenting with how to get the right time to activate the coffee. Then that adds maximum value you go, you know what, I'd love to automate that reading light. And then you try that, and maybe you'll try a different plug. And so it really is when it comes to technology, because it's shifting all the time, and the more we use it, the cost keeps on going down, you know, economies of scale. Yes, we have to be experimenting with this. We have to be trying this out, and we have to be playing with the with the tech and the systems to find out what works best for us.
Speaker 2: You've mentioned your daughter and how she sounds very tech savvy. But is there a danger for kids here in this world? What sort of measures can you put in place to make sure that they don't face any dangers they're not exposed.
Speaker 4: From experience? As an example, the tech in myles is not mobile, so the speaker she's talking to, engaging with is stationary. She can't lift it up and walk with it. And one of that is that she has to physically go to somewhere to interact. And I think that physical activity is important. Technology shouldn't prevent us from or disrupt our humanness, our ability to be active and get outside, and so we must have a balance. It must make our life easy and how we protect this is if we feel that technology is disrupting our ability to socialize, our ability to interact, our ability to go outside, our ability to appreciate a conversation, then we need to think about Okay, hold on, is it too much of technology? Have we have? We have we disrupted something that's useful for something that is not, but ware it adds value and adds to our life. So, as an example, I love that my daughter can play a song because she wants to dance with me, or she wants to dance while we're cooking in the kitchen. But now that she can interact with it by a voice, she doesn't have to now get a phone in a different device. It's a natural way she interacts to add value to what she's doing. And I think that's the key, because you know, you can say limits screen times. You know that we've read a lot about this, but each individual is different, each parent is different. We've just got to focus on what is healthy behavior and what is not as human beings.
Speaker 1: How concerned are you about that? Lessay?
Speaker 2: I mean, what do you see when it comes to these spaces and kids and how to protect them?
Speaker 3: Okay? So I would say, like for you, let's say if your kids using mobile device, as a parent, you can have full control on the mobile device so that maybe they can they cannot do no access proloctly, for example, and you know stuff that you know it will be beat for them. So I would say you put measures in place where you could have control over the device so that you can be able to block stuff that you know are not necessarily for the kids to look at.
Speaker 2: And Nissa, what's what's coming up next? What's coming up in the next five years? I should imagine it's hard to guess, right because it's changing so quickly.
Speaker 4: For me, there's probably two things. One is proactive tech. So you know, I work in a business that manages insurance and manages properties, and one of the things we've seen is devices connected onto geezers to tell you before it's about to you know, bust or tells you when something needs maintenance or a car perhaps needs maintenance, or something's gone. And so proactive risk, I think we're going to see a massive trend in that. And that's talks to ring being able to identify users because it proactively identifies who you don't know and warns you before you get to the door that there's a stranger. And so we're going to see the rise of automation and devices that's going to be more proactive to add value to our life. And the second one is I think location devices are going to want to know where we are. If we walk into a room, it's going to want to know we walked into that room. Why because we might want a certain light to come on as we walk in and certain music to play. Maybe we want the TV to come on so we don't have to reach for the remote. And so in terms of home automation, I'm going to I predict a rise in proactive technology and also location, so so it really understands who you are and knows where you are.
Speaker 1: Saidie, what what excites you? And what is your message?
Speaker 2: To any of the listeners who want to get into this briefly.
Speaker 9: If you will, I would say take a little of Jack said me, because you know we have we have people, we are busy, right, we don't have time, so we need convenience.
Speaker 3: So once we have convenience in your home. Once once you have convenience may be through your phone. You know you would be able to attend to methos that you know needs your attention, your full attention, all.
Speaker 2: Right, and if somebody wants to get hold of you, how do they go about that?
Speaker 4: My number.
Speaker 3: To six. So we have our company website which is w take it solution to sue the city?
Speaker 1: All right, thank you very much for that.
Speaker 2: And Nissa and your your word of advice to anyone who wants to get in wats any red flags? Any any If you could sum up this conversation, what what would the takeaway be?
Speaker 4: Don't be afraid, you know it's that he checked his guide to the galaxy. Don't panic, don't be afraid. There's accessible technology out there. Don't be afraid of it. Experiment with the pilot, go small, and don't just think it's for a younger generation. My you know, over at old grandfather happily does internet banking on his tablet. And so technology isn't for for certain ages. It's your willingness and hunger to experiment and and fail and fail and then finally succeed and grow and learn. And that's that's my advice. So don't panic, it's going to be okay, but try out technology.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Just want to put this question to you from a security point of view. I mean, so much that we do now is reliant on our face face recognition, finger recognition. Is it safe to put your home in that sort of environment with that sort of technology overseas?
Speaker 4: So it is a lot of the reputable platforms are encrypted and so they have security layers built in. Example, if you have a camera in your house, you can't just access that camera if you're in a Wi Fi. It requires you to be very close to the camera physically. It acquires a log into that platform. So my advice for you, if you experiment within, stay within trusted ecosystems, reputable ecosystems. You know there's millions of reviews out there. Stick within reputable ecosystems to maintain your security. Make sure there's passwords and protects and encryption between the technology and the world.
Speaker 1: And if anyone wants to get hold of you, how do they go about that?
Speaker 4: The easiest way is through my LinkedIn profile. So I'm managing director of ASI Financial Services niche PLA n I s H A n p I double l A Y over LinkedIn. I'm very responsive on direct messages and you'll also see some of my thought leadership there as.
Speaker 1: Well, nih PLA and the Cite Leboro. Good to talk to you.