Speaker 1: You're listening to the best of The Money Show.
Speaker 2: The Money Show.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Best Bits of the Money Show, a digest of some of the most important insights, thoughts, and interviews from the show this week. If you'd like to hear more, you may well have someone in your family who you believe needs to hear a little bit more about it. Go to your podcast app, go to our website and search for The Money Show. Really is worth sharing some of the content with people. Everybody needs to know a little bit more about money to start. Some of the most important stories we thought from this week, and the Jase crossing really a historic milestone. The all share going past one hundred thousand points for the first time in its history. That's one hundred and thirty seven years. It started with an index of around one hundred points, so you can just see how much has changed over the years. Now past one hundred thousand points. Canel Plus getting approval from the Competition Tribunal for it to deal with multi choice. It's worth than only fifty three billion rand. What we're really going to see is canil Plus taking over at DStv, and I think we'll start to see some changes on your screen soon and Parliament finally, I think a big sigh of relief for many people, passing the last major piece of budget legislation, the two biggest parties in the coalition, the DA and the ANC, finally agreeing after all of the fighting and eye gouging and nonsense of the last couple of months. Well, tonight we bring you a mixture of stories from the world of money from the week that has been your shape shifter this week was Kurt Akerman, the CEO of the South African Urban Food and Farming Trust and co founder of the Ernzerch City Farm and Market. He's been very involved in urban food systems, looking at health and education and human rights. Actually comes from a background in PR leading digital transformation and also looks at climate and sustainability.
Speaker 4: Kurt Akerman I grew up in one of these American college towns, so only there are no postgraduate degrees, and a place called Oberlin in Ohio, so about kilometers west of the city of Cleveland and Ohio.
Speaker 5: And my father was a professor there and my mother was a nurse, and I had a wonderful upbringing, quite a progressive, isolated little little town. And what now would be considered surrounded by trump Land, but had a great diverse, interesting childhood and then went off to university in Chicago, went off to the big city.
Speaker 3: You ended up, so you studied business. You ended up working in PR at Chandwick. They're a big firm. They actually have a bronze here too. I mean it's a massive firm that does PR. So you're doing campaigns for them.
Speaker 5: I had a slightly different journey than your your pre see outlined. So I was actually working in Saint Louis, Missouri, and I was recruited by Shandwick to head up what they could then called the Interactive division. So I had grown up with the my father being a professor of science. I had my first email account when I was seven or eight years old, which would have been in the late nineteen seventies. And so when the web came along and became a like a commercial interest, and I was actually headhunted into this firm to help kind of guide the interactive division as they called it. So I was not trained in PR. I understood the technology and the medium and was kind of an internal consultant and coordinating ten offices across the Americas in how to advise their big corporate clients on using this this Internet thing. So that that was the journey. So I was deep in the belly of the beast without really understanding a lot of what was going on. But it was an incredible experience. Yea. At the time, Shandwick had one hundred and fifty four offices around the world and had these massive global clients like MasterCard and you remember a compact Computer and some of the other So it was quite a time, no.
Speaker 3: I can imagine. And the world was also changing in such an interesting way, and you were kind of in the US that was driving some of that change. So Okay, somewhere along the way at Kurt, you had a major shift and focus. Ok you went from that to food. You had to help me through that, Yeah.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 5: So the journey to South Africa was really driven by my wife's career. So she's a professor. She's a pale anthropologist. She's a professor at the University of Cape Town and had done her PhD research in the skeletal and fossil collections at bits and in East Africa and elsewhere in the world. And when the University of Cape Town was looking for someone to lecture in human Evolution. They opened it up to international candidates and she was offered the position. And so in two thousand we picked up and moved to Cape Town and have happily been here ever since.
Speaker 1: And you, that was the move.
Speaker 5: And I found myself commuting back and forth to the States, which was terrible, flying across the Atlantic and never living where I was. And in two thousand and one kind of severed that connection and had to reinvent my work context in South Africa, which wasn't yet in food. There was still another tenure journey before I found myself in food.
Speaker 3: Okay, so all right, if we can sort of get to how you ended up in food, because that's what you that's your big focus now and you've spent a lot of time on and something that I think you probably have some quite strong feelings on that I wanted to explore. So, I mean, what happened? Were you walking down the road? Was there an epiphany? Did you get hit on the head? Were you going from Damascus somewhere?
Speaker 5: My wife and I had a child, and that was really the start of it. So we had been fortunate to bring a few dollars over in two thousand and we bought a house in anis and really thinking that we would have children. And as things go, you know, one changes one's mind, and we decided we would and started looking at our community quite differently, and we saw our neighbors with you know, kids on the street, but they don't play together, they don't go to the same schools. When kids go to the park, certainly in Euroniusic and I think many other more affluent communities they've got a nanny. Kids don't find themselves in play. People are are fearful. There are walls and wires and spikes, and we were just anxious to raise a child in this environment. And the opportunity came along to help create a community food garden, and it was a chance to really try to find the village in the city, you know, other like minded people who wanted a way to connect but really just couldn't find it. And so it was really a bit of a of a I don't know, not quite utopian, but like a wish full dream to get involved in something, and it wound up literally changing my life. I got involved in starting the Iron Music City Farm with some other volunteers and it just provided such a deep insight into community and the food system, and it clicked with the skills of experience and networks that I had and what the opportunities were to make a difference, you know, in the city and in the world. And after a couple of years that became my life's work.
Speaker 3: They running as a farmer's market designed to standards of the market sort of exploded. It started, I mean, very small and like, I don't know, the next minute it was this big thing.
Speaker 5: It felt like that to us too. So we started the farm in September of twenty twelve, and the market started really without a whole lot of planning, driven by volunteers who were interested in kind of harvesting and good food and organic produce and so on. Before we had a harvest, and so some of the other volunteers and supporters had access to some organic produce and they would donate it and we would sell it literally on the back of a couple of hay bales to raise a bit of cash for this project. And then someone brought, you know, a coffee machine, and someone brought some snacks, and then we needed a bit of a tent to cover that because you know, you've got sun and wind and other things. And before we knew it, we had, you know, eight or ten tables and after a year we had about twelve hundred people on a Saturday coming.
Speaker 4: You couldn't park.
Speaker 5: Anywhere in the area, and we were in conflict with the city over heritage policy because it was in the park that was a provincial heritage site. And yeah, it just took off. It became the the you know, the tail wagon, the dog or whatever the metaphor is, and went crazy. We actually got kicked out of the park. We had to shut it down. We wound up in the premier's lawn at Lunhoff Helenzilla was lobbied by fans of the market and we didn't miss a market. And once the farm and the market split then this was in November twenty fourteen, it really put us on two different trajectories and into different areas of the food system. So the market landed at the Vina Waterfront in June of twenty fifteen, and that was fantastic on a three thousand square meter site. But it grew and grew and became really about kind of retail and consumer awareness and working with local farms and strengthening them, and it was in an area that those of us who were on the farming and food gardening side really weren't fully at home in and it needed to become its own thing. It needed to fly, and so at the end of twenty seventeen we spun it out and sold it off and it has run independently ever since. But we have very close relationships and the market is really important kind of calling card and you know, just kind of signature place where one can go to learn about parts of the food system. But it really does speak to the more affluent consumers and kind of that part of Cape Town that is, you know, able to enjoy a farmer's market like that.
Speaker 3: That was Kurt Ikman talking about his journey through urban food systems, education, health and human rights started out, of course, in a very very different place.
Speaker 1: The Best of the Money Show from this.
Speaker 3: Week earlier this week on How I Make My Money and Balie and Clapple, known as a housekeeper and cleaning influencer Practical Cleaning Tips, also runs her own business. Someone very involved in this industry, and she's really turned what became, I suppose a passion into quite an important career for her and her family.
Speaker 6: I prefer to be called a housekeeper. I prefer to be called a housekeeper. Actually that's what I love.
Speaker 3: Well, good evening, thank you so much for joining us. And in case you're wondering how she feels about her work, here has a little taste of some of what in Bali's done over the years.
Speaker 7: The house skill fa d I I of keeping all your trusses nice and key.
Speaker 6: One cup of.
Speaker 7: One cup of vinegar kills your class coffee table like it's running out of fashion. Also kills your TV. You called your laptop spring a nice how amazing? Do note that you do not do the love and shape. However, do the s pat in shape and the plasses will be nice and keep las minds.
Speaker 6: The house skill.
Speaker 3: In Bali you pretty much like that in person. I've made the point that most of us run away from dirt. You run towards it, and I love it. What do you see that we don't I see.
Speaker 6: I see it clean space, A fresh mind. When I see I kind of even explain it the way I love it. I see a fresh mind. When your space, or your place or your home is clean, your mind is always sharp. Actually, a clean house is a happy home. A Tattlers house is a peaceful home.
Speaker 3: You don't think, I mean some people say, no, I've got young children and dogs and things, and I quite like the mess. You don't like that at all?
Speaker 6: No, I don't. No, I don't.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: I mean I was thinking a little bit about what could make it so, because it's rewarding for you, right, yes, And I was thinking, like often you can be at work as part of a team and you don't know what your contribution is. You can spend a lot of time and energy with your children. You don't know if that's going to work out. But when you clean, you can see the results. The result is that part of it, do you think?
Speaker 6: Yes, you can see the results. And you know what's satisfying is when you get to a room, the walls are deity. When you finished there, they are so nice and than there is satisfying when the laundry is dirty, when you finished, it smells fresh. That is so satisfying. Shoes, especially sneakers. I can go on and on, because a clean house is a happy home.
Speaker 3: How did it start for you? I mean, how did you end up doing this?
Speaker 6: I end up doing this because it started when I was retrained. Actually I was working at a furnisher shop. Then I was retrained shop. I seart at home. About three weeks my sister in law called me to say that in Bali, I've made arrangement with another lady. She did not come. I'm still waiting at the apartment station. I said, okay, hold on, I called, I called, I called, I called everyone a church all around, and one lady said I'm going to do it. I said, Mama, you know that was twenty fifteen. You know that you're going to work. They sleep in and doing that. She said, I'm going to do it. Even today, she's still working there after them, three weeks or so, everyone was calling me now, Bali, can I have a cleaning lady, Bali, can you come and clean for me? And my neighbor said I need to clean for hey. So she said okay. Everyone was now calling me. I said, okay, so this is Bali Shang and Bally this, and yet I know how to clean. I know the diis. So it was just a combination.
Speaker 3: How did you find people to actually fill the jobs? I mean, was it church networks? Was it something else?
Speaker 6: It was before it was church networks, Before it was church networks. Now there are people that are applying to be housekeepers. Before it was simply church networks, and then now every CV you get CV, you get applications.
Speaker 3: M I mean, are there some people who you don't pass, who you don't you don't accept.
Speaker 6: Yes, not everyone can be a housekeeper. Not everyone can be.
Speaker 3: So when you you, I mean you're cleaning, you're running a business, You're doing some of the cleaning yourself. You film yourself doing this. Are you still sort of getting a sense of satisfaction when you go to bed every night, not just because of the work, because of the work of getting other people work, but because of actually the cleaning that you're doing yourself.
Speaker 6: Every time. I get satisfied each and every time, especially when I come to train. When I go to train housekeepers, I get so satisfied to think that that housekeeper has saved her job. She is going to be a proper housekeeper, not a perfect one, but getting to detail one. I feel happy.
Speaker 3: What kind of training do you do?
Speaker 6: What does it take train housekeepers? I train someone that wants to become a cleaning expect someone that loves to clean, someone that is working as a housekeeper currently, It actually takes for them to know what to do, what to use, how to use it so that you save time.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's saving time is a big thing you can You can get a lot done if you know exactly what you're.
Speaker 6: Doing exactly and knowing what to use correctly. You're actually saving a lot of time.
Speaker 3: When you are helping people into employment. Sometimes I wonder if South African bosses are maybe not very nice. Have you come across that A lot?
Speaker 6: A lot people are not the same. Same applies with workers like your your housekeepers, they're not the same. I normally say that I will train a housekeeper to be etarawan. Yeah, I can't train a bet attitude. So people are not the same. If you've got bad attitude, there's nothing that I can do about it. If you're willing, I can definitely work with you.
Speaker 3: And some bosses people who want housekeepers. I mean, if you ever had to say, well, actually i've I've dealt with you before, I'm not going to do I'm not going to help you again.
Speaker 6: No, I haven't get in to that point.
Speaker 3: Well, I hope it doesn't happen. The experience of helping people into work that must be very empowering because people are desperate I mean people are desperate everywhere.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, it must be. It's actually so good. It feels so good, especially when you help someone to find work to be at wake and they last at that work and they make their bosses happy. Actually it's two way. The homeowners are happy, the sister is happy, we call them sisters. Sisters is happy, then you are good. You good people are looking for employment.
Speaker 3: Do you employ any men?
Speaker 6: Yes? I do.
Speaker 3: Do you notice any differences about how it works out?
Speaker 6: Yes, I've noticed. You know what, brothers, I'm not sure it's because of their where they're coming. They know that if you don't have ten runs, you don't have ten runts. Brothers are hard working. They don't come with stories to say that tomorrow I'm taking a child to school, or I'm sick or what. They're herdworking.
Speaker 3: Sure, I mean I'm always told that it's men who once we are lazy.
Speaker 6: Oh, actually men who loves to clean.
Speaker 3: H and ages. I mean, do you find a difference, because I mean sometimes older people look at younger people and say they don't want to work, you know, I mean that's what older people have always said through the ages.
Speaker 6: And that is true.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 6: Sometimes actually the age is it's tricky house. You find a lady that is fifty five years old, Yeah, they want to mother you. Yeah, it's your home. You find a thirty six or twenty seven or the year lady. They don't want to work, Actually they don't. They're not getting their house working. Yes, how is that being a housekeeper or the cleaning business.
Speaker 3: So it differs, and living life experience matters. I think, you know, if you're working in a house that's got young children and you don't know what young children are, you know, that's a whole new level of stuff.
Speaker 6: That's the whole new level. And also getting a younger lady that will be really too. As young as she is, she's willing to know, she's willing to lend, she wants to grow as a housekeeper.
Speaker 3: So something happened during COVID nineteen and I went to go and look up the numbers earlier today and last In the last quarter of last year, Statis stated a survey about domestic workers, and they found that the number of people working as domestic workers was sixteen percent lower than it wasn't twenty nineteen. So, in other words, something like sixteen percent of the people who are working as domestic workers in twenty nineteen are not working as domestic workers now, and that scares me because that's a large number of people who usually the only person who was working in the family bringing money in. Do you still see strong demand? How's demand for your services? People phoning you? How's that changed over the years.
Speaker 6: It has changed a lot since from COVID until now. I do agree. Usually would have domestic workers that would go and leave December time. We used to be so busy December time is that time because of most of the domestic workers are now going on LEAF and us the sisters at work will come and stand in. So now because of since COVID, they're no longer going on leaf. They take weekends off instead of the whole December. So maybe it's because of money. Instead of the easters, they can take weekend off not the whole month. So it yes, the demand has changed.
Speaker 3: People must be finding it tougher. Yes, I think everybody seems to be finding it tougher. That must be very tricky.
Speaker 6: Yes, it is. Actually has changed a lot compared to what we know. To say that December you will hire attempts. Actually it's start October to train the housekeepers temp because we know that December will be so busy. Now it's no longer the same.
Speaker 3: Sure do you expect so having domestic workers is it's not something you see in most parts of the world. Yes, do you see it in Southern Africa. And it's very entrenched in our society. I mean, it's something that maybe hasn't changed much at all since nineteen ninety four. There's a Labor Relations Act, there's compensation, there's even a union that I think hasn't done very well, but it's really hardly changed. Do you think it's ever going to change? Do you think we're always going to have this? I mean sometimes I think we need it because of the employment it provides. But it is a kind of almost uniquely South African thing.
Speaker 6: It will change. It will change now before we used to think that domestic workers are just domestic work. Now the domestic workers industry is actually a profession, so we need to take it professionally, register them for uif for pension, finding all that. It will change.
Speaker 3: It's very interesting sort of to sort of work it all out. Do you ever feel a sense of stress that people rely on you for their jobs? And when I speak to people who run businesses. You know, I think that moment where is somewhere they're responsible for someone else's sealers. That must be very scary.
Speaker 6: You do feel stressed. I would stress. I will feel stressed because if I don't get clients coming in, there's fifteen people or eighty people that are not working. So I need to make it a point that they keep on working. Remember it's not only them, it's their kids. They are family that are looking upon them. So they are looking upon me, and their kids are looking upon them. So, yes, you do feel stressed.
Speaker 3: We're speaking to Embali and Clapo this evening, Housekeeper and Cleaning Influencers. She's with us through until eight o'clock on The Money Show.
Speaker 6: The Money Show, How I Make My money?
Speaker 3: Embali and clap Or the housekeeper and cleaning influencer with us on The Money Show this evening. All right, Embali, I mean I have a few questions. I have to ask about the actual nitty gritty, the worst job you've ever had to do, where you've opened or you've got to the property and smelt the air or whatever it is. Are you able to tell us?
Speaker 6: Yes, I'll tell you the worst job that I've ever done is the holder home. Oh yeah, someone there is a holder. Actually, when you get there, the cockorroages I just all over. Kep waves are just all over, and the smell of reds urine before you given see the smell is there. You'll go there, put on your mask, your cloves, and you need to get to work. You are called to do that. You are cold to do that, and you need to do it.
Speaker 3: Do you wear a protective suit when you do a job like that?
Speaker 6: Yes? And I make it a point that when I come to when I get it home, I by the front door, I need to take out my shirt, my trouser before I get insight, because you never know, maybe might have some cockorroages or what.
Speaker 3: Are they many jobs like that? I mean things happen. People maybe pass away and now they children come, or the next door neighbor says something's happened here or whatever. So I mean there must be big jobs like that.
Speaker 6: No, they are. They are big jobs like that. Sometimes maybe someone has passed away. The relatives are getting to that house and calling us to say that please did that, and we need to sell the house or we need someone to stay in the house. There's so many jobs like that.
Speaker 3: And you go with a team when you do that.
Speaker 1: Yes, like.
Speaker 6: Tell me I have the a team of that week for that job. There's an a team that specifically deals with it.
Speaker 3: I would think for the owner or the person asking you, they're just going to pay the money. They want to walk away.
Speaker 6: They want to walk away. Ask you how many hours? You tell them the hours they'll come back afternoon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, so there's money to be made. Are the particular jobs you have to charge a lot for? So a job like that would be a lot. Do you find that? And maybe there's a small business you end up having to charge more for than a private home or their particular homes where actually you can just you can just tell from the person on the other end of the phone, this is going to be a big job.
Speaker 6: No, you can't. You need to go and quote. You need to go and quote for such they'll tell your aspects. Is to say that there's this room that was not opened for ten years. Does these rooms the windows were not opened for fifteen years? You need to go and quote.
Speaker 3: That was in Baliant Clapple sharing how she turned her love for cleaning into a thriving business and has become really very very influential online. Seven you are.
Speaker 1: Listening to the money shows the Best Bids Your Business.
Speaker 3: Book review this week Ian Man, the managing director of Gateways Business Consultants, discussing the book Distinguishes This by Professor Sandra van Deer murv He looked at the insights of office into how your business can set yourself apart in competitive markets and also some of the strategic thinking that's needed to really have a meaningful differentiation.
Speaker 8: Distinguishers is an unusual what she does. It's it's almost an encyclopedia of where the world is moving to. But she analyzes what she's seeing and she breaks up into four four stages. And the beauty of this is that you can actually understand where it's all going to and you get a sense of where you should be positioning yourself and how I should be looking at your company and what more they can actually do. The book covers by one hundred different companies and examples from all of them, local, international, everywhere. So it's a fascinating read, reads very easily, and the it's not just an agglomeration of a lot of ideas. She's got a model that comes right through this. She says that there are four stages in change that goes on. First stage is to shake up and disrupt the status quo. The second stage is to frame an emerging future so it's different to what's now, and then you're going to build into their future. The third one is anything you do do at speed because the guys are coming after you. And the last one is scale it up. So what she's done, she's taken examples from all over to show how all this can work. Now, I think what's most useful is that it actually is practical. If somebody said, well you must shake up your industry, say, well, great idea, what does that actually mean? And I think that she's using She's shown examples of four different types of shake up. I'll just give you a couple. One of them is the logical triggers. There are things which are happening around you which are logically not okay, and when you look at it, you say, logically, here we have far too many accidents in this country, and because we have far too many accidents, it costs insurance companies a great deal of money. Logically, there must be a better way to do it. And then you get people like discoveries, saying, Okay, I'll tell you what. We'll give you all sorts of benefits if you drive properly, So we'll monitor your how you drive, how you break all sorts of things, and if you're good at that, we're gonna benefit. You're gonna benefit from it. So I've now got an incentive to actually try to be a better driver. There will be a logical trigger for something else. You also get emotional triggers. So what happens is you can you might find that you've got you're involved in something and it's emotional, and you see music and you want to enjoy it more, but you can't. So you have to have something or other that's going to allow you to enjoy that sort of thing. The ethical triggers. Ethical trigger could be we've got to try and make money more available to people. So if you took something like impesso, which is a way of sharing money with people who don't have bank accounts, you've got all those sorts of ways to that. There's got to be a better way of doing it. And people who have come up and started to do new things are the ones that make a difference. She tells a little story about Zuckerberg early at the very early point of trying to build Facebook and one of the the you can imagine suited investor system. Have you got any examples of anybody who's created a global social network and made any money out of it? He said no, But that's exactly the point. Sure, And I think that the key is to try and find something that nobody else has done so you can start doing something that really makes the difference. So what we what when you look at trying to shake up an industry, one of the most obvious examples of an industry that's checking up. As opposed to selling stuff, we're selling services. So you don't you wouldn't, but you wouldn't buy a car, you'd buy the service of a car.
Speaker 3: And so it's going from buying your IBM computer, yes, you're buying services from ib.
Speaker 8: Now the lovely part about that is IBM would retain the computer themselves. They sell, have it on their balance sheet, and all they have to do is they have to see to it that works all the time, because if it stops working, you'll cancel your contract to give it back or you should be giving it back, and they will repair it for you quickly so you can continue using it. So the challenge is not Yes, there are people in in South Africa who might put solar panels on your roof, but there's a there's a company in the United States called sun Run. What they do is they will they will rent you the solo, which is terrific, except that all you want from solar panels is electricity. So what do you do is you don't rent the panels. You pay only for electricity that you use.
Speaker 2: And this is there's.
Speaker 8: A a mind shift because as opposed to saying, well, you've rented the car and now you just have to have it. So you've rented the car from us, and our job to sito that you can continue to doing what you paid money for, which is to drive the car. So you might only pay for the amount of kilometers that you drive. But it's turning as much as you possibly can into into into a service which we've never had before. And I think that that's that's a game changer.
Speaker 3: So I mean, when we talk about distinguishes, what we're really talking about our companies that actually changed the world.
Speaker 8: Absolutely and it really is that to the extent that you're you're talking about changing changing behavior. You don't want to simply create new stuff which will enhance people's behavior. But what you're trying to do is you want to literally change their behavior to reflect what the new demands would be. You want to improve the products or services so you find better ways of doing what they can do. So you're trying to really shape things completely differently. And I think that the the it's sead of using technology to enhance your ability to produce more products more cheaply. You use technology to see that the customer's experience it is much more wholesome, and therefore they're more likely to use your product more. So You've got, You've got. These are not ideas. You can actually read this lovely book with hundreds literally I think it's about one hundred different companies that they talk about, but that she talked about, all of these companies are going to be examples of what you can do. I think this book is particularly valuable to people in business only because it will stimulate your thinking. And I think that what happens very often we hear more of the same, and when you hear stuff which is out of the box, that's nice. And especially if there's something already in the box, so you can say they did this, let's do something else. And if somebody has done something, you can always have an add on if you look. If you think that you can turn a car into a into an asset which now becomes something you can use. But if you can't afford the asset, maybe you could just rent the asset, says Now a company there rents ubers and and supposed to Windering, where the guys that actually can give your money back as he as he clocks the fear that he has a portion of their fear goes directly to a person who's rented the car from. There's a company that's set up South Africa, and I think they also in Brazil, and you find clever ways of getting much much more out of the satisfaction that the customer will get from using your product.
Speaker 3: It's really and it's really it's a really interesting study. I mean, there are a lot of companies to look through. She must have done a ton of research.
Speaker 8: I mean they're they're South Africa, and they're international all sorts, and they come from all different areas of business. So you've you've really got a lot of things to get your mind around and a lot of stimulus. It's it's one of those books that really should be read by all business people because it's such stimulating. I'll give you so many wonderful ideas that you can think of and and behind all of that is this four part model that you're trying to change things and you're trying to move into someone which is quite different. You really do want to want to shake up what's happening in disrupt The opposite of a distinguisher is an extinguisher. If you don't if you keep doing what you've always done, you won't get what you voys had.
Speaker 3: That was in man Unpacking the Lessons from the book Distinguishes by Professor Sandra.
Speaker 1: The Best of The Money Show and.
Speaker 3: On Personal Finance this week John Monique, they head a financial education of Old Mutual. He looked at the risks associated with the two part retirement system one year in it's a year after it was implemented. He looked at someone emerging concerns, the behavioral trends that we've started to see and how our retirement landscape is evolving.
Speaker 2: For me, it's a mixed bag.
Speaker 9: You know, on the one end, you can one can argue and say the two part system is working in a sense that in the long run it will improve preservation levels. That's the one end. On the other end, there's an issue with people accessing their retirement savings early, to the extent that even if there is some level of preservation, but that level of preservation is not adequate enough to sustain people in.
Speaker 2: Their retirement age.
Speaker 9: So we are likely going to have people preserving, but we are likely going to have more people retire, retiring into poverty, which is the set reality that will hit us when that time comes. In fact, I would even add and say I expect that there may be some people, given the trends that I'll share with you in terms of the people who are likely to withdraw from What we are looking at is that we might even end up having a situation where there are people who are getting retirement annuity from their retirement fan, but that amount might even be smaller than what people who are getting are receiving from the government, because I don't think it has hit the cord that these early withdrawers are going to hit us later in life.
Speaker 3: So one of the reasons this reform was brought in was that people were resigning from their jobs to access their pension. I mean, that's a terrible thing to do. I would like to think that on the positive side of this, this has stopped that from happening.
Speaker 9: Yes, you're right, it has stopped that from happening, because I mean, if you resign, yes, you can access whatever was there the old man and others, whatever money was in your retirement kitty prior to this reform, but going forward, and it was certainly limit to But for me, you know, Stephen, this isn't It's more like a small blanket during winter, so you have to decide whether you cover your face or whether you cover your feet. So hence I say, yeah, well, at least we can say people are going to present, but if you're still preserve, but you're still going to come out on the other side, other side, even para than one who's actually getting SASSA. We really need to need to ramp up the level of financial education and to create awareness about the risks of these early withdrawns.
Speaker 3: I remember the fuss, the cues the report to getting from the finance companies on the first day that people could access and I mean, you know, there was such differing estimates of how much money would come out of pensions and in the end, I mean what I sort of thought at the time, and I don't know if this has been shown to be true or not, was that so many people are so desperate for money, and I can completely understand why that basically people would take whatever they could out of the system. Now that hasn't necessarily happened, I hope, But what we do know is that quite a large number of people have already claimed twice and that must show the level of desperation in some ways.
Speaker 9: No, absolutely, And I can tell you now even those who are withdrawing, they they cite different reasons why they are withdrawing from the funds. I mean, if I were to look at just old mutual alone, uh, versus what SARS is reporting, and I think for the period from inception of the two part I would say at least up.
Speaker 2: To the you know, the new text.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think we know that the SARS would have process claims with forty two billion, and this is specifically on the occupational retirement funds. We haven't even touched on the other related products such as retirement annuity and all mutual would account for just and a four billion of that forty two billion for for for that period. I mean, if you start looking at when we look, for example, the retirement annuity from a different divisions, those who are in our massive foundation class, I mean, when we looked at that, we've had about ninety two thousand claims with an average claim of about three thousand.
Speaker 2: Four hundred, so the amounts are quite small. When you look at.
Speaker 9: Those who are more your affluent customers, your middle income and so forth, we've had about fifty five thousand claims with an average claim amount of about nine thousand rains.
Speaker 2: So it differs.
Speaker 9: But the overall number for or rather the average number for the occupational retirement funds, the average claims there amounts about just twelve thousand, two hundred.
Speaker 2: It's not a lot of money.
Speaker 9: It's not like it's people are taking money to go buy cars and all that. And I think when we start going deeper into what sort of reasons are people advancing for withdrawing, and I think you will realize that it's not necessarily the money is not drawn for the pepoles that the two post system was designed for.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, no, no, no, I think I get you. So there's been quite a lot of financial education around this. I mean, is this sort of went through the process. We've all been talking about it as it became law, as the reform started, and all the rest. And I would like to think that people who are paying money into a pension have actually gone through a process of understanding what it's for. So is there a failure of financial education that so many people are taking it out or does it just again another reminder of the desperation.
Speaker 9: Look for me, it's a it's an issue of it's also a case of one being conflicted because even if you know that I think, I mean, we know that too much consumption of sugar is not good for our body, right, the same goes without goods. But does it deter people from consuming Not necessarily, because you know, at the point at which a person is facing their and they have to make a decision, but at least they're making a decision fully aware of the consequences of their decision. I think the certing would be if people were to continue to make these decisions without appreciating that. Because there are people, by the way, who have decided and I'm quite keen to share with you what the reasons people are citing for withdrawing. There are people are saying, no, I want to withdraw from my two part savings for a simple reason that I just feel that the text doesn't make sense.
Speaker 2: So for that.
Speaker 9: Reason I want There are others who did make it withdraw and when we ask them, how likely are you to withdraw?
Speaker 2: You know, so they would say different reasons. So I think to the extent.
Speaker 9: That people appreciate the disadvantage they're putting themselves by doing so. But again, one would imagine that given the fact that, you know, the two part system was at its inception, there was a lot of hyper hour. I think over time, maybe people soon realized that actually it's not worth it. Maybe I should keep there. I should keep it there. But we need to continue intensifying our efforts to provide financial education across the board.
Speaker 3: Why are people withdrawing money from their part? I mean, I imagine debt is a big issue.
Speaker 9: So here's the thing, and I'll tell you what the people are saying, and I will also give you my opinion.
Speaker 2: On that one.
Speaker 9: So about from our customers, I mean, forty five percent said, well, they withdrew to actually settle debt about eighteen percent said no, I withdrew them money to pay school fees. Others said no, I needed to pay my bond. That's eleven percent. Six percent said they were drawing for for groceries. When you look at some of the recurring themes, you know, overall, we've had people saying, well, I had to lay by close for for December holidays for my child. Others are saying no, I needed to buy clothes for my run and others said no, well I had to put money aside for my brothers going to initiation school. And the others said, look, they want to buy tombstones and things like those.
Speaker 2: Other other reasons people have advanced there.
Speaker 9: But I want to hold in on the the pain of death, which is about forty five percent.
Speaker 2: That's the biggest number.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 9: Whenever you do surveys, you must always be mindful of some of the biases that creeps in, you know, because people want want you to see them favorably, so they would always project the image that they are responsible. So I think they claim that, uh, there you had with they withdrew this money. They withdrew this money to pay off death. I think maybe we need to wait until we look at the financial statements of banks, uh you know, you know, for for that particular text here and say financially, and say are we hearing bands and other financial institutions saying they're seeing an improvement in their delinquent book. I think if we start hearing such stories, I'll start believing that it may be there's merit to that that they had to settle that. Yes, we've had other things. I want with raw again because I've settled my debt. So I think that is something that we need to put an eye on. I'm very ten to see whether indeed that.
Speaker 2: The man was used certainly to settle debts.
Speaker 3: I mean the risk is that people, yes, we're settling debts, but we're settling debts because I've gone and bought a car and that's the debt I need to settle, you know, because I knew that this was going to happen. I think some people have had a nasty shock around tax So you expect that you're going to get a certain amount out and then you suddenly realize that actually, sahs quite busy little organization at the moment, are suddenly taking quite a lot out. And I think that must have been very tough for a lot of people.
Speaker 9: No, absolutely, In fact, there's about forty five percent of members who told us that, look, the text is too high, and this is the reason they excited, why they are likely to.
Speaker 2: Preserve.
Speaker 9: But I think I must also highlight a stiven that people who are likely to withdraw are people.
Speaker 2: On the low end of the income.
Speaker 1: Bracket.
Speaker 9: For example, when you look at people are ending between five thousand and just under ten thousand, they are the biggest withdrawers us those who are high income. And so when we look at people aiming, for example, from seventy five thousand to just under one hundred thousand, those are the people who are least.
Speaker 2: Likely to withdraw.
Speaker 9: I mean again, one can argue and say, well, I guess they and more so therefore they don't they don't need it. But I don't think it's so much about it. But I just think the pressure is far higher for those who are aiming less. So that's why we're seeing the biggest withdrawers from people who are ending between five thousand and just under ten thousand. But what was concerning for me was that almost eighty percent of FAND members indicated that they are likely to very likely to withdraw again, so which leaves us with about thirteen percent who said they're unlikely to withdraw. The other ones were maybe they's somewhat, but the thirteen percent.
Speaker 2: Of those who are saying that unlikely to withdraw.
Speaker 9: But eighty percent is a high number of people who are saying they're likely to withdraw. So I don't think the issue of text has hit home for many of them.
Speaker 2: Others might say, look, I hear you, they are the text, but it's okay. Whatever I get is okay.
Speaker 9: But I think when people need to understand what it means in the long term.
Speaker 3: Were speaking to John Monika this evening that have financial education is all neutral. I'd be interested in your stories, your views on the two part retirement system. If you've taken money out, what you used it for. Maybe you know someone who claimed they were using it, who said they were using it to pay debt, actually went and bort a car, maybe the other way around. I don't know, but you know, has it actually made you stand in your job longer? Maybe that would probably, I hope, be a very very good consequence. O double one double A three oh seven oh two and two to one four four six oh five sixty seven, The.
Speaker 1: Money Show, Personal Finance.
Speaker 3: John Manique, head of financial Education at Old Mutual with us tonight. Your stories please on O two to one four four six, five six seven and O double one double A three oh seven oh two of the two pot retirement system. John. The tax issue which has caught so many people by surprise that you have to pay tax on the money you take out. I think that the real sort of root of it is that people are not necessarily aware that they don't pay tax on what goes into their pension when they actually pay it in. Is there a bigger conversation to have around how people need to understand the tax that they pay on their income.
Speaker 9: No, absolutely, I do believe, as much as it might sound controversial for me to say that they they to a larger standards. A mathematical problem here lack of appreciation of what it means, what these numbers mean. What would happen if you keep with drawing and really you know that when you get text when you draw, it's money that you've lost, but it's actually going to erod the value of your fund, and you're going to need every sense so that later you can benefit from from the compound interest. I think these are the type of conversations that financial advisors need to continue to have with their clients. I think these are There are opportunities for employers to open the doors to financial institutions to come and provide this type of financial education to fund members to appreciate what it means to benefit from your compound interest and how you can easily erode a value when you keep withdrawing, and also to remember to keep reminding people that your retirement fund was designed to help us to replace our salary when we retire, and you want to try and max what you're likely to get when you retire, So, in other words, when you retire, ideally you need to keep what we call at seventy percent replacement ratio, so meaning at least seventy percent of your last pay check should actually come from what your fund would buy you when you retire, and unfortunately, many people will fall way short of that number, which is just a completion based on you know, assumptions that it's more likely to keep you afloat, to stay afloat and to maintain your standard of living. But yes, a reality different. There are people who are going to retire still with some degree of debts, and yeah, we could be talking mortgage, we could be talking whatever cars they're driving. Yes, one might say, well at that time, my children will be out of school.
Speaker 2: Some might still be a testiary. But all those things.
Speaker 9: I mean, the reality will be different from one person to the other, and you need to just understand the number.
Speaker 2: So if you're uncertain, speak to your financial advisor.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, this really sort of boils down to that so often. So if we try and sum up the reform so far, do you have enough evidence to try and turn the clock back. Do you think this was a bad idea. We need to go back to where we were, and we mustn't forget at a point I made earlier that there were some very real problems with where we were because of the consequence of it, which is that some people were leaving their jobs because they wanted to access the pension money. I made the point at the very beginning this is kind of a unique reform. We haven't seen it really in other places. So I would suggest that actually you need ten to twenty years of data before you know if it's really a good idea. I mean that withdrawals might sort of tape off a little bit, they might not. I know, John, that's I think a bit like me. You're a kind of savings talk if I can call you that, and I mean the best possible way. And I also want to save as much as I can for later. I don't always, but but often, But so I think that people like you and I kind of you know, get to that to an extent. Our jobs make us like that too. Is it too soon to stop us? Do you think? Do you think we need more data? Or do you are you? Are you decided?
Speaker 9: Look, I think we need to appreciate the fact that the decision had to be made because the situation was quite dire. That you know, when people keep with drawing, you know, you know, rather exiting and not preservel, you know, not preserving and just literally withdrawing all their retirement funds when they resign, and so we were going to be sitting with a much bigger problem unless they were there was some kind of reform. So I think for me, for now, the two part system may be a better angel compared to where we would have gone to if we didn't make the changes that we have that we have done up to now. However, On the other hand, we still have a lot of work to do to raise a level of awareness of what it means to withdraw. So yes, it was said that look for emergencies. You can, but you know, human beings are human beings. I can make anything an emergency, you know, So I think that level of discipline. So it will require a lot of considered effort across the board to raise this level of awareness to the extent that people will see that there's no need to be withdrawing every single year. If you can avoid withdrawing even better, you'll be in a better position. So it's a case of settling for a better angel and giving ourselves a best shot at providing financial education.
Speaker 3: That was John Monika reflecting on the evolving risks and behavioral trends linked to our two part retirement system. He's not a great fan.
Speaker 1: You are listening to The Money Show's Best Bits.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Best Bits of The Money Show with Digestive some of the most important insights and thoughts from the show this week. If you'd like to hear more, you can go to our website or your podcast app and search for The Money Show. Thanks for being with US this week. We'll be back on The Money Show six o'clock on Monday. Have a good weekend