Speaker 1: South Africans doing great things.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: We're staying with the theme around conservation and animals, and it's a lovely theme because both of the projects that we have tonight are about nature and animals, but they are also about or linked to the Alexandra Township. Our next guest is Raymond Kramer, the founder of Guardian Angel's Wildlife and Marine Trust, and he's got an amazing story to tell us about the Mandelaity initiative. He joins us now on the line. Raymond Greebning and welcome to the Aubri Masang, Michelle.
Speaker 2: Hiko Marshall, thank you very much for having me on. That's appreciate it, yep.
Speaker 1: I mean, it is absolutely amazing to have you on, especially because you are doing wonderful things with your initiative. Maybe we should just start with just tell us about Guardian Angels Wildlife. It's a beautiful name.
Speaker 2: Okay. So about fifteen years ago, you know, iued to do a lot of business in Africa, in the continent, and you know I was in areas because of war, poverty and so forth, and you know, you know, real poverty and criminality and the whole story that goes with it that you find yourself in a forest where you don't even have a hear a bird, for example, and that left me with a very eery feeling. And I grew up, you know, as a young boy on a farm with freedom, with animals, with nature, and you know, I've always been a conservationist, keep at heart. So that was quite a while ago, and then I wanted to get into it, but I was too busy with business. And then in twenty twenty one I met with former President Ian Karn of Wotswana and we got on very very well, and I looked at the What'swan a model of how he basically turned photographic tourism into the second biggest industry after diamonds in the country. And we became good friends, and he became the patron of Guardian Angel, which we created, and I gave him the right to give it the name Guardian Angel. He has chose the name Guardian Angel while not a marine trust. And we specifically didn't want to talk about a particular animal or a fish or a bird because the word guardian angel is so powerful, because we should all be guardian angels of our mother Earth. And that's how we came to that particular name.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's so beautiful. And where does your love for nature stem from or do you have a particular story with how you fell in love with conservation?
Speaker 2: Do you know I loved animals, I loved the bush, I loved nature. It's just one of those things that's ingrained in me. And you know, I've got four grandchildren. I've worked my grandson who's eight years old, who can tell you probably ninety nine percent of all the birds that are out there in South Africa. So we go to game reserves very often, we go to the country areas very often. And I also thought about it, I see, you know, having looked at the decline in animal populations, wildlife bi diversity, I thought, you know, wow, you know, we've got to do something for the future generation. And one of my biggest motivators was looking at my grandchildren and saying, what's going to be left for them one day? And that is one of my biggest passions. That's actually one of my biggest motivators as well. And joh I love nature and I feel very passionate about it, and that's why I'm actually very very involved and excremely passionate about conservation in general.
Speaker 1: And tell me about your initiative, Raymond, that you are going to be running for Mandela day in alex Maybe let's start with why Alex.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we all live in the screen belt here, Come on, sir, you know here we live in people live in Sampson, the richest square meter in Africa. And I go back a long way in Alexandra township that we worked with taxi guys in the old days in the eighties. So you can call me like an alex boy, you know. So I've got that sort of history in Alex And I took an American visitor visiting the country into alex about three years ago and he was actually horrified and frightened. I actually have two policemen accompanying me. And the disparity between Alex and Santuon is just so huge. I mean, the paradox of the wealth and the poverty. And you know, you know, everyone thinks we start with wildlie conservation somewhere around a national park or whatever. I say to myself, No, we can start right here in Alex on our doorstep. We've got between one to hu those three million people. It's impublished, it's it's it's it's a let's call it. I just want to say it's. It's not a pleasant looking place when you're looking from Santon. And also a lot of the people from Alex also come from all over the country. So we started off with a couple of projects last year with a cleaning up of the XK River, getting the youth involved, getting the teachers and the schools involved. That went on to a second program we had last year for education where we introduced the tests to hosses, horse rides and education in a day, a full day program of conservation. So that was last year and for this year we decided to do something we're continuing. So also we're not we don't want to jump around. I don't believe in jumping around. So we decided we focus on Alex and we went over the community's hearts and minds and we're starting off this year with the the the actual we're calling it keep Gussie Clean. Now when I grow through Alex, you know every time I drive through, you know, sadly a lot of South Africans don't have pride in the country. You know that people throw litter on the floor after taxis and you know It all starts off with a simple discipline, don't litter and discipline and that is why we started off, and that is why this year we're calling it Keep Gussie Clean. And then I can elaborate about what we're going to be doing on the day, starting with the small things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, because I was about to ask, I mean, you know, when you think kinds of you think the bush, you think, you know, you don't think urban, you don't think in a township, and you certainly don't think Alex. So what exactly are you going to be doing on Medelitay.
Speaker 2: Well, what we're doing is we're teaching the kids about the environment, you know, not to pollute your water, not to litter. We're giving them a whole host of things to think about in terms of environment. You know, a lot of the Alex kids have never been in touch with nature or conservation. Many of them have never been to the Cruder Park or actually come into contact with wildlife at all. So what we're doing is we're starting off with these programs to expose them and to get them to start thinking about the environment. And from there, obviously, from there it grows and kids get taken out to see animals and parks and so forth. But we have to start somewhere, and you know, we need to start influencing the youngsters at a young age. So one of the other reasons is that you know, with all the law enforcement we've got in the country, unfortunately, you know, we are still losing our wildlife. So the reason we decided with Alex as well is to focus on the youth in one place and start off having successes in one place and then move it out into other areas once we've been successful.
Speaker 1: All right, So the event where how who must come, how must they be dressed or what can they expect?
Speaker 2: Okay, so for the for them, it's an by invitation only. So what we've got on the day and is that basically we asked a lot of the teachers what would they like to see for these students, So you know, they said they'd luck to see people in uniform. So we've got the South African National Institute Suncy Cunning. They will be there. They were last in nineteen twenty four by the Deputy President His Excellency for Matritalian. This is an adminisiative that falls you know, under the leadership of the Department of Defense and Military veterans and SAMDA where youngsters have been trained and given a three month character building period and then obviously getting them ready for vocation, trading them in various locations and getting them ready for jobs to the job market. So we've also got the sps, we've got the Hawks, we've got Polo riots, we've got entertainment, we've got the South African Scouts arriving on the day, we've got industry arriving. So it's to expose the kids to a day, a fun day. It's a fun walk first of all on Mandela Day to celebrate the sixty seven minutes of service Global service. So we're started off with a fun walk around the yuch stay picking up some letter and that is part of the whole Mandetta legacy. And then we go into the day's events with all these type of things taking place. So the Suncy will be showing their marching skills. Now, remember these kids have been taken off the streets from very difficult backgrounds and they've been put through a character building course. So you've got youngsters that were lost that are now disciplined for marching, who can do pt and are coming to demonstrate on that particular day what they were and what they are today. And they now also going into vocations. So it's also an opportunity for the youngsters to look for job opportunities within the South African Army, you know, to look at what sons it can offer them. And so it's a combination of environmental awareness and creating jobs.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, I love that. I love the fact that the idea is to bring opportunities to the people of alex because for many people, especially in townships, they may feel like they're locked in and in order for them to be exposed to opportunity, they need to leave the township.
Speaker 2: Well you know, you know, you know what, if you think about it, who are the role models today? You know, youngsters need role models and you know, one of the success formulas for life is I've got a little thing here chart. It might be out, but discipline. Fifty percent is disciplined, you know. And you know that discipline comes from when when these youngsters see people in uniform, it makes an edible impression on them. But what we've also done, from a guardian angel point of view, we bring up business angle. I'm on the coordinating committee of SUNSI for example, we've already lined up for the Sunsei graduates ten five to ten thousand direct jobs from a certain corporate in South Africa. That will basically when the kids have passed the character building phase. You know, obviously now they're a better type of disciplined youngster. It looks a hell of a lot better on the CVS. They will then be offered positions once it convened you've done their vocational skills and they will basically be often positions as for examples, drivers mechanics. They are going to roles as e commerce entrepreneurship. So one of the if I may mention the name one of the if our mad mensure, one of the names of the companies is Butler International Logistics. For example. You know that the people known Timu Shane, they've for example offered and tied in with Sansei to offer these type of jobs when the youngsters have completed the series. So what I did was I started, you know, there's no point in giving youngsters hope and then what so you train them? And then what so what we did was we work the other way. We said, look, let's find the jobs for the people, for the youngsters and let them look forward to knowing that at the end of the day they've got something to look forward to. You and within the sons, of course, Guardian Angel also brings him a wildlife conservation curriculum, so while they're getting the character building, they also learn about wildlife and generally, Aboso, I want you to ask more questions. But generally, a youngster that is in touch with nature, that respects wildlife and just understands more about the environment turns out to be a much better human being and is less inclined to get involved in crime and get involved in drugs and alcohol and all those things. Because this is where we try to keep them away. Do the right thing, guys, and then you can actually get these jobs in the future. So this is a very big program, Please God, that works out well, that actually has a very good ending for youngsters who tell you the line, who are disciplined and look forward to the future. We want to give them a future, give them real hope.
Speaker 1: Sure I love that you say that, because you know I was about to ask. You know, I mean often we have these events and a lot of the projects are event driven, but you know, we sell them and I wonder maybe a lot how or what are the long term benefits of this supposed to be? You know what, what are we leaving with the community of Alexandra there And I love that you say you're leaving that seed, you know around conservation, which will really help to form and make the young people better people in the future.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So you've got a million to civilian people and we keep, we keep, we stay within. We don't start the project or any event, and then it just appears like you have a concept, you know, singing concept. We we stay there within And for example, we are also helping the South African Scouts to recruit up to a thousand Scouts in Alexander Town, GIP and these are volunteers. So there's a lot of work being done by Godian Angel d with a Marine Trust to bring the youngsters into the system where they volunteering and they learning basic basic manners and there's the Scout laws and all these sorts of things. And then we continue, we continue working with the schools and then what happens is we start taking these type of successes and we start rolling them out throughout our tent, for example, into other areas. Now, if we have to be very honest, with ourselves. Joebert is not a city that we should be very proud of, you know, in terms of letter and the way it is. And I think a lot of our leaders acknowledge this and we but we have to start somewhere, so, you know, instead of complaining, you know, I believe that we roll up our sleeves and we have there's no ego, and anyone that wants to join us organizations, people that want to work with us welcome to join with us where they've got their strengths. And we continue with these type of initiatives over weekends. Now, if we take an example of a country like Rwanda where there was a genocide in nineteen ninety four, you can basically eat off the streets in that particular country because the whole country has changed its culture. You just don't lit in that country. It is to allow you with the plastic bag and the kids are taught conservation, environment, community, it all comes together and that is what we're doing. So it's a combination. There's no one recipe for everything. So what we bring is we bring in that business acumen, we bring in the entrepreneurship, we bring in the real hope with jobs, We bring in the education and the kids have to do, they have to work, they go through we have to go through a bit of a tough course in order to come out the other side. And let me tell you that, please God, you know, well, you could attend and have a look and see for yourself on that you invite it as my DRT guest as a matter of fact, and come and see for yourself what youngsters that might have gone in a completely different direction, what they has become. And I think that gives me a lot of hope that if we continue with this throughout the country and put the wildlife aspect in the late the environment, don't let it guys. You know, it makes a hell of a big difference. And this starts changing their way of thinking. So I want to end up in this sentence by saying we want to change the world view of the youngsters. We want them to start changing their minds and knowing that there's a big world out there. Besides looking at the wrong people in your township. Hey, there's huge opportunity in the world for you if you do things the correct way, say your drugs, stay away from crime, etc.
Speaker 1: There might be young people out there. Raymond In fact, I'm sure they're young people out there who would like to get involved with Guardian Angel's Wildlife. So how do they get in touch with you? How do they get involved?
Speaker 2: Well, we've got our website, you know, and you know, they can reach out to us on ww We've got a coordinator for example in in alex Obviously it's it's quite a question, you know, it depends on what they want to do. So I think, yeah, they can just look at look up for it, look at look just look us up on the internet. They'll find all our details there. And I think what's important is is that I think, you know, we can only do so much. So for the youngsters, I think as we moved through these training courses and the exposure they get five the events that we have, that's where the opportunities present themselves for the youngsters, for example, the Scouts, they start off there. So that is what I'm going to suggest, because you know, within the organization obviously we're doing these type of things and we will meet the youngsters along the way.
Speaker 1: So just to make sure I have you right, So, Raymond, you're saying this event is by invitation?
Speaker 2: Is it? This is by invitation? Only because we limited to a certain number of people that we're hosting on the day.
Speaker 1: So what do I have to do if I'd like an invite?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, meal ready, so we're going to fetch you in.
Speaker 1: Yes, But for the people, yeah, the people of alex people that are listening that would really like to attend, how do they go about it?
Speaker 2: The you know, what we did was we focused on the students. So what the students had to do at the schools or sign an indemnity form it's there under the age of eighteen, and we focused on x amount of students because we catering for them, and also due to the limited space in the on the Altri sports field, you know, so we couldn't have tens of thousands of people. It could be chaos. So we're limiting it to around about one and a half thousand people and most of them will be students and the participants on that particular day. But obviously, you know, so sadly we couldn't. We can't accommodate everybody. It's not possible, sadly, but we will be doing more events in the future where the community, you know, can get involved in a larger scale. On a larger scale.
Speaker 1: All right, Raymond Kramer, thank you so much for coming onto the show and sharing, you know with our community about the work that you do. I think you're doing amazing work, and I think that the people of and the other communities that you work in really appreciate your contributions. Thanks so much for spending your time with us this evening.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Commoso. And if I can also just say thank you very much to Toboco Moroke, he's a local man in alex for dominating us. He's been fantastic. And we have a wonderful team working with us and wonderful people in that part of the world that we're making very good friends with it. And thank you very much for being on the show. This is way past my bedtime. You get going. I hope I did.
Speaker 1: Okay, you did amazing and we wish you a good night's rest.
Speaker 2: Raymond, Yes, thank you, Thank you so much. Cheers, have a wonderful weekend. Thank you father.
Speaker 1: That's Raymond Kramer, founder of Guardian Angels, Wildlife and Marine Trust. That's our South African doing great things.