Speaker 1: The money shows the Africa Business Report, doctor Rotundo and doing he's founding director of Tribe Africa Advisory and author of Rumble in the Jungle reloaded a Rotundo. Good to see you. How's it very well, Stephen? So I don't know, how do you say this? Perhaps PAPSS. This is the payment initiative. It's expanding to a lot more countries.
Speaker 2: It is. And this is spearheaded by the Africans and banks, Stephen, and the African Payment Settlement System. So I've educated you. There's something, Stephen, when you always educate me. And the reason why there's a bit of a hype now and this was announced that the recent on the news headlines is that fifteen financial institutions and fourteen national switches are now connected. So it's a milestone achievement. Why is this important because it's a key component of the IFCFTA with regards to the free movement of goods and people. Why is that such a big thing Because at the end of the day, if people and goods are moving across the country freely, across the continent freely, then there has to be a free move of money. And that's why it plays a key role. Just to give you some stats, Stephen, as of twenty twenty three, two BILLIONOIS dollars went through that system. The cumulative figure since it opened up in twenty twenty two or sixty eight billion NEUIS dollars. And the vision of PABs in terms of the coming years is that they want to expand or in this year twenty twenty five, they want to expand to thirty countries on the continent. And there's a key focus in terms of leveraging of AI, and one of the carriers that focusing is in the agrisector because agriculture plays a key role in the content. But another key component as well is that with anti money laundering. You know, Africa has always been sort of a had a big loop all there, and they're using AI through this application in order of managing that. So but a key milestone in terms of AFCFT and leveraging of a payment system that can integrate the continents even.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's fascinating to watch payment systems change and evolve and more and more. We've had out issues with the gray Less and the Financial Action Task Force and all the rest, but you've got to manage them very very carefully, people get quite a little more. It sounds simple, we should alway use the same payment system. Actually it's incredibly complicated.
Speaker 2: Now it is, and just to give you how complicated it is, perhaps at the moment, I think they're probably linking about. And these are individual accounts, banking accounts, five hundred million bank accounts within its system. So obviously it's from small startups to big corporates and it goes on and on. But the idea is that you've got a lot of money integrated to a lot of countries, interacting with a lot of multifaceted scenarios SOT. At the end of the day, if there's similess interaction and engagement from a financial perspective, that's all great. But the end of the day, it has to stimulate the economy. It has to stimulate trade and the free movement of people and goods. So it's something to continue watching. But a key milestone and Africian Bank has to be uplauded, and I think the president or Professor Benedict to step down from the leadership and with the new leader coming on board, I think a legacy he has left something quite significant as one of his achievements.
Speaker 1: Ethiopian investment Holdings. They've signed a deal with the US Private Equity fun They're going to build a five star hotel in Addis.
Speaker 2: A five star hotel in Addis Ababa. So why is this important? I mean, Ethiopia has been making a lot of key non economic initiatives just in terms of developing the economy. They've partnered up with the US. They've recently announced this is the big US Africa conference that happened in Angola. I think the cost of the investment is estimated about about two hundred and fifty million US dollars. That's quite significant. Why is that important? They've actually started trading on FCFT today, so one July, and that's a big another big mouthstone. Remember last year, Stephen, we talked about how they'd liberalized the economy by floating the currency they'd often also listed. I think earlier this year their first stock exchange over. They've reopened their stock exchange.
Speaker 1: I can't have a stock exchange for a five star hotel. I mean we all know this.
Speaker 2: So if you traveled to Ethiopia, you need to stay somewhere good. And but another thing also the airport that they've expanded. Remember that's also looking at processing one hundred million passengers. That's more than the population of South Africa. So all of these things they've attracted investors and the one to create obviously good lending ground for investors and investors coming onto the country. So two hundred and fifty million US dollars have gone into hotel. The Ethiopian investment holding the AH is the one driving the initiative and it's quite a significant thing. So quite excited about that and looking and I think Ethopia has got its challenges, but they're definitely making key initiatives from an economic reform perspective that will stimulate the economy take it to the next level.
Speaker 1: And then malaria obviously a major major issue for us and there's quite a lot more technology around this now.
Speaker 2: So just six hundred thousand people every year die in Africa because of malaria, so it's still taking its toll. And I think the impact on GDP steven is estimated to be sixteen billion US dollars in total in Africa. So you know, you'd have thought by now in terms of technology, in terms of investment in the medical space, that would have overcome the challenges of malaria, but was still far behind. There's a Japanese company called Sora Technology, and these are private investors, and they've used AI technology using drones that specifically go and detect mosquito breeding and apply and apply love resides, which are the insecticide to kill mosquitoes. And they've I think they've invested in Nigeria, they're looking going to Ghana and the rest of Africa. They've recently received another and these are the Japanese investors. They've injected another four point eight million US dollars in this initiative. The outcome of this obviously results in a seventy percent reduction in insecticize, a forty percent savings in prevention costs, and a fifty percent decrease in labor costs. At the end of the day, for Africa to be a healthy economist even or to be productive, for us to go to the next level where there's industrialization, you need a healthy workforce and malaria is one of the unfortunately those things that hold us back amongst other challenges. So this is a positive investment. I think the I think when I was looking at this article and reading it's even I think my frustration as where where the African investors. It's an African problem, but I think we should have more of African investors leading the charge. And in this case, these are private investors from Japan. From Japan, we're actually making this investment and they're seeing the return on investment. And the big question is where the African investors with regards to providing these homegrown solutions. So at the end of the day, we benefit as a continent. But still there's that gap of that query in terms of why African investors not investing in homegrown solutions.
Speaker 1: It's very it's very very interesting in Gambia. There's a farm fish in Europe likes farm fish big time. What impact is that happening on people in the Gambia.
Speaker 2: So the Gambia it's a very small country, Steven. You know when I when when you look at the GDP.
Speaker 1: That very interesting leader for a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't have to walk around a lot in terms of this country. I mean, Gamba is almost like I think it's the Lusuto Swail. It's a strip within Senegal.
Speaker 1: You know the colonial history of it that was so the idea was that a British this is the sort of colonial legend, right, So I mean don't take it.
Speaker 2: So history is history.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the story was that a British warship went up a river and then fired shells in four different directions and where they landed with the borders of Gambit.
Speaker 2: Very possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the story.
Speaker 2: It's very possible. The gdpist even is two point three billion, the population is two point three million, so it's almost a GDP capital of one thousand dollars per person, which is which is actually fascinating. But anyway, coming back to reality, one of the big challenges that they have is that they've got a lot of European industrialized fishing businesses taking out fish from there from their shores, namely the I'm trying to remember the Bonga fish and the sardines. And what is the IMPACT's making is obviously, as a small economy, it relies a lot of fish as a subsidy for its people and its businesses. The estimated loss that they are making not just Gambia, but if you bring all the surrounding countries of Mauritania, Senegal, Guinea Bissau as well as say early on, they're losing about two point three billion US dollars. So it's quite significant for an economy like those in terms of the challenges that are there. So I think the big thing is now now they're fighting with the EU, trying to take back the rights with regards to those that they're given to the EU. And obviously that in itself is a complicatedness, especially when you're not a big economic powerhouse and you want to fit fight the big guys again. And I think it just highlights again is that the challenge that is always there for Africa was seeing with the d C with the US, when you structure these deals where you want to benefit economically, but it's the expense of the local people, there's always a balancing actor. I think that's where Gambia finds itself in terms of trying to sustain its economy and its people and something to continue watching.
Speaker 1: I mean Saudia rate is lending thirty eight million dollars to Tenisia.
Speaker 2: Thirty eight million US dollars, and you know, the when you look at the history of Saudi and Tunisia, it goes back apparently about seventy five years, and over seventy five years, Stephen, they've given Tunisia has received from Saudi through the Saudi Development Fund about one point two billion US dollars in sessional loans and grants to the point of one hundred and five million US dollars, and this is Saudi investing in Tunisia. And in this specific investment, the thirty eight million is targeted specifically towards the Oasis project, which is forecused in terms of one thousand hectares of agri land that has been refurbished and being developed. There's also to equip about twenty two wells in terms of digging and producing water and deliver about twenty and eighty five thousand units. So it's quite a positive story. I think the sad thing is that at the end of the day, Saudi is still battling in terms of debt. Their public debt is about fifty million US dollars. And the last thing, also Steven, is that they're the fourth highest Arab in the Arab world in terms of debt. I think there are dead sevens that are about three point eight billion US dollars and their third after fourth after Egypt, Lebanon and Jordan. So great the investment is coming in, but as an economy there's still a lot of reforms and things that they have to do to change direction and move in the right direction.
Speaker 1: Doctor Rutendo and Dowinki, thanks so much for coming and really appreciated. The founding director of Tribe Africa Advisory also author of the book Rumble in the Jungle. Reloaded