Speaker 1: And now The Money Show with Stephen credits on seven oh two.
Speaker 2: Let's walk lit all.
Speaker 3: The Money Show with Stephen Crutis is brought to you by ABS, A Corporate and Investment Bank, proud sponsor of the African Blockchain Report twenty twenty four. Good evening, Welcome to the program. I'm Stephen Crutis, breaking news as we go to air tonight. You heard in the E w N bulletin Noboch and Cabane gone as Higher Education Minister. This is one of those presidency statements that you need to decode. You don't see the word fired, you don't see the word sacked, you don't even see relieved of her duties. All you see is the President in terms of da da da da da da da da da, appointing Buddy Manamela the Minister of Higher Education and Training. He was, of course the deputy minister, has been the Deputy Minister there for many many years. And then a new paragraph appointing doctor Mussa Dubeng MuBe the Deputy Minister of Higher Education and Training. No mention of what's happened to Nobole and Cabane, but the context of this is absolutely everything too. What things would you to happen in really the next forty eight hours. In my view, one was more important than the over. But the first chronologically was that she was due to appear in Parliament tomorrow. She's been accused of lying to parliament. The second was that on Wednesday, I think it was, she was due to be the subject of a vote in Parliament in the National Assembly about whether or not the Democratic Alliance would support the vote for her budget, the budget for the Department of Higher Education. The DA had said that they would vote against it. As I understand the technicalities on this, if they had voted against it, that would mean that the entire budget falls away. Now you can just imagine the politics of all of this. The President surely did not want to be seen to be giving into the DA. The DA would say to its constituency, we can't and good conscience vote for a person who we believed to be corrupt and has lied to Parliament. And the A and C would probably say, well, the DA of the people who are imperiling putting in danger the entire budget. And I'm probably way of a simplifying it when I put it in those terms. Now, that particular stumbling block has gone. It may not be the only one, but I would imagine now probably gets a lot tougher for the DA to say to anyone we're not voting in favor of the budget. That's where they might just look as if they're not on quite the same strength of ground. Well, I'll be very interested in your view on this this evening. I mean, maybe the former minister is going to say that she resigned, that maybe she found her conscience, or maybe she did nothing wrong but just decided for the good of the party, or was asked or something. Who knows, Maybe there's another explanation, But for the moment, it would seem that she was asked to go and she's gone. I can't see any other way of seeing it at the moment. They will, of course be lots of conversation around all of this, but the real risk was that one vote by the DA against the budget could sink the entire budget, and who knows what would happen after that. That's when things would start to get very very difficult. Well, we'll get some analysis on this breaking news for you on the Money Show this evening we talk about the situation at fly Safe. We'll speak would you to speak to the CEO at Prime Capital as well, Martin Slubbart not the person who's been reading news for you. Another Martin Slubbetts tonight about the mass issue and it's a fascinating, fascinating issue. Also of course this evening how to make money out of mess looking forward to that conversation from seven thirty and Bali and Clappol the housekeeping and cleaning influencer. If you ever had stains that you're battling to get out of, well that is the person to speak to. You'll hear from her from seven thirty. Good to hear from you this evening. You might well have a view on what's happened to the former higher education and so on. O double one, double A three oh seven oh two two one four four six oh five six seven and Voice Notes tonight on seven two seven oh two one seven oh two.
Speaker 1: The Lonely Show with Stephen krutis live on ninety two point seven and one six FM, streaming on the Prime Media Plus.
Speaker 2: NAP and DStv channel eight five six.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know if your day has yet been affected by the fly Safe strike. Maybe someone you know was traveling, maybe a meeting was canceled. Maybe you drove a long distance to be at a meeting that was canceled, So flight's already canceled. Two hundred of fly Safair's three hundred pilots seem to have joined the pilot strike. The union that represents the pilot's solidarity. They say they'll be on strike for two weeks. There's a dispute about wages. We've had plenty of those. But there's also a dispute about the roster system that fly Safe is using. Guy Leach as the editor at SA Flyer magazine Experts who commentates on all of this, Guy, Good evening. Strikes like this are quite rare in iro environment. Can fly Safe raally survive a strike like this for much longer? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Hi, Stephen, Well, that's a very interesting question because I suspect that they already made a decision as to how much they're prepared to spend on the strikers. It were, how much it's going to cost them, teted it into the long term benefits of trying to keep pilot salaries and benefits low and set a target, and you know, they were already indicated that they're quite prepared to play it out. They were the ones who created the seven day lockout in management. It was probably a slightly spiteful response for a SORTID area to go within a for fourteen days strike. But I think that this thing's going to protract. The real issue is can they really keep the schedule together for longer than seven days?
Speaker 3: I mean, that's surely when things start to fall apast. And I can understand the argument about salaries, both points, both sides will make important points. What I don't get is the argument about rosters. Pilots say they're not getting enough time at home. That's a big problem in this industry. Fly Safe say they use the same rostering system as other airlines. What's the real.
Speaker 4: Problem here, Yeah, it's quite nuanced this argument. The point was that they had a simple roster system of a fixed roster system when they were a smaller airline, and then they grew very rapidly post COVID, and the roster system just clearly wasn't keeping up, so that purchased a proprietary off the shelf system. The accusation that I've heard is that they purchased a sort of the B model of this version. And if it's going to work, it's got to have very rigid rules which they haven't yet negotiated or got in place. So if it's just too much flexibility for an open system, then there's crises at the last minutes. And pilots have been a feel that they've been properly messed around. In other words, they've booked time off for a holiday months in advance, and then all of a sudden they've been called out. So there's obviously a lot of dissatisfaction, a lot of ill feeling about that.
Speaker 3: And then the salaries argument, I mean, our pilots can work in other countries with dollar salaries. They may not want to, they might prefer it. Yeah, I presume they do. Are there other benefits pilots get here to compensate. I mean, I can't imagine fly sapfare being able to sort of, you know, compete with a dollar salary in any way.
Speaker 5: It can't.
Speaker 4: I mean, so African salaries have been significantly falling behind the world average. And a reality too is that internationally there's a massive world perorldwide pilot shortage. So the four Eastern countries, particularly the China airlines, are offering as much as four times more in terms of package, and most of it is tax free. That's extremely hard to compete against. So all the airlines can do is hope that the lifestyle benefits and the defected mini pilots of children at schools and mortgages and so on is going to keep them there. But it's an ongoing problem. Fly Safe is losing for at least probably five to ten percent of it of its workforce every year, not just to retirement but obviously to international.
Speaker 3: Approachain Guy Leitch, thanks very much. Indeed see the editor at fly Saffare two.
Speaker 2: Stephen gone X at at Stephen.
Speaker 3: Say Fly Magazine, not fly Saffare. Fly Saffe, of course, is the airline. Will let's continue, shall we? A war of words breaking out today between High Proper Investments in Prime Capital. They both want to take over control of Mass real Estate. Mass real Estate controls shopping moors in Eastern Europe. On Friday, High Proper announcement open offer to shareholders. Prime Capital owns a sixty percent stake in those developments they which are in Prime Capital Developments. Prime Capital Developments owns forty percent of Mass. In other words, Prime Capital is a big part of the owner share or the share ownership of MASS. Meanwhile, other shareholders, who own around fifteen percent of MASS, say they want changes to the board. They believe two of the current directors are not properly independent. They seem to be backed by the Public Investment Corporation, which owns fourteen percent of MASS. Martin Slubbert is the CEO at Prime Capital. Martin, Good Evening, you've slammed this offer from High Propit does give a current MASS shareholder certain options. Why what do you believe is wrong with this offer?
Speaker 6: Good Evening can hearing?
Speaker 3: Yes we can, Martin Slubbert, thank you for your time. You've slammed the offer from High prop What do you believe is wrong with it?
Speaker 7: Well, we don't like fighting with people, but unfortunately the situation is such that we had to reach to out of smallest share which are difficult to reach, and consequently we decided to do some media interviews, which is not something you usually do. There are basically two issues with High Props offer. The first is that it is not really an offer in the ordinary sense. It is an option disguised is an offer, and I'll impact that first. And then the second is that there's a bit of cloaks or smoke and marriage around the pricing. And we think it's important for shelders to understand this as the offer document is complex and you have to be a lawyer really to follow what's being offered to shoulders. So let me get to the first point, which is that the offer is really a request from shelders to grant high props with options, as opposed to making an offer to acquire their shares. The reason for this is the following. The usual market practice with making offers are that the office will remain open for acceptance after they become unconditional. It's not unusual to make an offer with conditions attached, but it's very unusual or to make an offer that's open only for five days, as is the case here. Saying to show this that you have to accept our offer by Friday this week. But by Friday this week, our offer will remain conditional, and many of those conditions are in our control, and we can't tell you by when we're fulfilling those those conditions might might not be fulfilled. The consequence, which is that once you accept our offer, you give us the right, but not the obligation, to acquire your shares someday in the future. It may be in one month, it may be in three months, it may be in four times months, it may not be at all. As a result, if a shoulder accepts such an offer, they will not be able to trade the issues in the market unless High Proper releases them from the commitment they made, nor will they be able to accept anybody else's offer. This is in contravention. Not only is it not market practice, is also in contravention with the JAYS rules, and we think it also doesn't meet the requirements under mass's Articles of association. The JC has a rule that's applicable to all companies which have their primary listing in South Africa for offers that are made for takeover purposes to remain open for twelve days after they became unconditional. So this is the first issue, and this is why we're saying it really is not an offer but get disguised option contract.
Speaker 3: Just on that Martin, very quickly, you say it breaks JASE regulations. As I understand that MASS is registered in Malta, the primary listing is on the JAC so jas regulations will apply both to High prop and I presume to anyone else trading in the shares, which would include you, which would include Prime Capital. Correct. Okay, then the other issue, and we don't want to get too bugged down in technicalities. I understand that they're important, but we've seen some of the other shareholders ninety one momentum others. I think the pic too. They seem to believe that two of the directors of MAZ, as they sort of describe it, are too close to you, mahel Vasi Lestru and Dan Pascario. Are these two people working for you or supporting you in some way? Are they really independent directors of MAS?
Speaker 6: Yes, Stephens, thank you.
Speaker 7: So the first, it's important to understand that we're not the controlling shoulder of MASS. We are mi ninety shoulder like any of the other shoulders. So we don't appoint directors to MAS. The directors of MASS are appointed by the board and those are pointers are approved by shilders and annual meetings, so and they regularly come up for re election. So I think that's the first point that I think is important to make. The second is not independent. He's one of the shoulders and a partner in Prime couple. That's well known. It's not unusual for a shoulder with a large shohelding to have a director on the board. But that doesn't mean that Meyhal participates in decision making around the DJV or around Prime Capital. MASSES board directors would exclude me out from any decision making when it comes to Prime Capital the DJV, So I don't think there's an issue there. Down Pass career has no relation with Prime Capital. Is not employed by us, He doesn't work for us. We don't move in the same social social circles. He has no investment interest in Prime Capital. So the only link possibly that one could think about when it comes to down Past career and me is that Done used to be the chairman of NEPI many many years ago, and I used.
Speaker 6: To be the CEO of NEPI many many years ago.
Speaker 7: But other than that, you know, I haven't known Done in any other capacity as as far as that's concenter. So Done is an independent director of MASS, and the majority of mass's directors are independent from Prime Capital, and so we don't interfere, and we don't have the ability in fact to interfere in decision making of MASS as far as.
Speaker 3: But then why are some of the minority shareholders, and these are people who are experienced in the market. I mean, this is ninety one and momentum, this is the PIC. They want an extraordinary General meeting to remove them to appoint other people. They tell you have a very different view to you.
Speaker 7: They have a different view. I think it's also important to bear in mind that the shoulders that you've mentioned, including the PIC, all hold more shares and high prop than what they hold in mass. In other words, they are overweight high proper and underweight mass, which means that if there's a transaction pushed through whereby high proper requires mass at an exchange rate which is unfavorable to massive shoulders. In general, the only parties that could possibly benefit from such a thing would be shelders that have a greater waiting.
Speaker 6: To high proper than what they have to mass.
Speaker 7: And the concerning thing is that these shelters seem to be supporting and working with high prop possibly to do a transaction that favors high prop, and that would also favor them because of the net shouldings they had in two companies at the cost of all the other shoulders in mass, which include ourselves and all the other minority shoulders roughly seventy percent of the shoulders, and that is the concerning thing. Now, It's all good and well if sheulders want to sell their shares at eighteen rounds a share, which is what High Proper is effectively proposing with each shares swap, for them to have the right to do so, But we don't think it is appropriate to dress up an offer document, which sorry an option document as an offer document.
Speaker 6: I think that's the inappropriate partner.
Speaker 7: We would expect that the JC should insist that this officer should remain open after it became unconditional, which would be the case for any other offer launch for the company, including if we should launch an offer.
Speaker 3: Okay, the question really boils down to this, why is it better for shareholders? Why do they get more value from basically sticking with the current situation rather than selling, rather than taking.
Speaker 7: This current share price is twenty three round fifty and the price that High Proper is offering again the smoke and mirrors is eighteen rands a share. High Proper is saying it's offering twenty four runds a share in cash or shares and High prop But if you analyze the situation, but closer, you would soon realize that the cash portion of the offer is so small that if all sholders accept their offer, shows will and we receive five percent of the process of the cell in the form of cash. In other words, if you hold one hundred mash shares and everybody accepts, and you decide to sell your shes to high Proper, except grunt them the option rather and high problem than load they later decide to acquire, they may there are quite only five percent of the shares for cash. The rest of it you're receiving the form of high proper shares. And if you look at the exchange ratio that implies the value of eighteen round per MASH share, that is far below the trading price today. It's far below the offer price that we indicate, which is twenty nine rand in cash and thirty one round in equity. And it is also far below the net acid value persue. So you know, it's just a very very poor value prospect. And I think that if you're going to grant an option to another party, then and the option price is below the market price, and then the other party should pay you an option premium for you to grant that option.
Speaker 3: Martin Slabbert, thank you, CEO at Prime Capital on the Money Show this evening. Well you've heard the argument from him. There are other arguments in the market. As you know, someone who's been following this for quite some time as the financial journalist with Business Day, Michael Avery. He's been looking at it, Michael, Good evening. What's really going on here? It is one of those slightly complex transactions, Good evening, Stephen.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: And what is at risk of getting bogged down in corporate finance, legal ease if you go into too much of the weeds, I think effectively, and listening to what Martin Slabert was arguing around the evaluation, I mean that's for shareholders ultimately to decide. I think more alarmingly has been the lack of disclosure. And one needs to go back in time here just quickly, if you'll allow me, Stephen to break it down. Martin and Slabbert moved to Romania back in the late two thousands when he co founded NEPI rock Castle along with South Africa's Resilient Group, and they became one of the largest mall owners in Central and Eastern Europe. He then left NEPI to found Prime Capital in twenty sixteen seventeen along with Victor Semyonov, and they then partner with Mass via this development joint venture, this DJV, which is effectively to co develop property assets in Central and Eastern Europe, and PKI and Mass sign agreements that allow Mass to provide significant funding to the DJV, while PKI retains control over development operations, and over time, Mass continues to provide capital to the DJV, but shareholders begin questioning the lack of visible returns. We also see PKI starting to accumulate a strategic stake in Mass, and it's partly using the capital of the capital that's flowing from the DJV to do this. And that's really now in the early two thousands when concerns starts surfacing about transparency, particularly regarding the development margin and the exact mechanics of capital allocation. Because what happens, and we realize only now with the benefit of hindsight, that there was a fee that was being paid over that was not being disclosed to shareholders. A shareholder circular back in twenty twenty two on Mass's corporate structure amidst key DJV contractual details. These later surface in a recent sense announcement, and this has really fueled the accuisations, these accusations of piecemeal delayed disclosure, and so there's been a breakdown of trust I think because of that, and why these minority shareholders have started to refer to this as a creeping coup or creeping acquisition. Because also what happened is the MI, the Memorandum of incorporation of MASS is in Malta and in Malta. Even though it is listed here as well, its primary domicile is in Malta, and so it doesn't enjoy the same shareholder protections or minorities certainly don't enjoy the same shareholder protections as they would if they were listed on the JC. And just one more point quickly around conflicts of interest. I mean, this is the same Prime Capital whose partner Andrew Bird is married to Mass's former CFO Nadine Bird, the person who helped structure one of the earlier deals and transactions that were announced to the market this year before PKI then sweetened its offer. So there's lots of questions that are circulating around independence in particular, and why I think we see now the EDM requisitioned by these minority shareholders.
Speaker 3: Michael Avery really appreciate that, thank you very much. Indeed, financial journalist with Business Day, the Money Show, the Market, Cier and Barter's investment analyst at the old mutual investment Groups here, good evening. Quite an interesting deal that Sabanya still Water has done now investing in the US.
Speaker 10: Stephen, Yes, quite interesting. So they've acquired a US precious metal recycler called Metlex and the deal's roughly worth about eighty two million dollars in cash, and it's west in Greenville, North Carolina. So the interesting part about the deal is that although it's relatively small, it's part of the continuation of the company's move into recycling, with possibly some sylogies with its still Water recycling operations. And another angle in my colleague mentioned who covers the the company, mentioned that one possible angle is that it could be interesting if tariffs are introduced on precious metals going into the US and therefore making exports from Sothatic a lot more expensive, that it would actually position Sabanya as a key as a key manufacturer within that region.
Speaker 3: And then we've got more sanctions from the EU on Russian oil. Not sure how much of an impact it's going to have. I mean, oil markets have been pretty stable, right.
Speaker 10: So we haven't seen much movement from the announcements of sanctions. And really this is the eighteenth package from the European Union. And additionally, they're not targeting an Indian company called Nayara Energy, so they are an exporter of oil refined oil products from Russian crude. One of their key shareholders is also a Russian so that was also quite interesting. And this is all in a bit to crack down on Russia and the involvement with the conflict of the Ukraine. Although Russia represents about ten percent of global production, we haven't seen much move and I think what we've learned from the from the last wave of sanctions is that actually oil finds a way. So it was in the last way we saw that Russian crude actually went to India and China and the sanctions were pretty more, pretty pretty minimal, had a pretty minimal impact. So yeah, I guess just another way of sanctions.
Speaker 3: Sierah and Barta, thanks so much. Investment analyst at the Old Mutual Investment Group.
Speaker 1: The Lanny Show with Stephen krutis live on ninety two point seven and one six FM streaming on the Prime Media Plus.
Speaker 2: NAP and DStv channel eight five six.
Speaker 3: Just kind accord it to seven. Well, this story is developing in a strange way. So as we came to air, there was a statement from the Presidency saying, and this was the headline, President Drummer Pausa appoints new Minister and Deputy Minister of Higher Education and Training and then went on to spell out at Putimanamella is the new Minister of Higher Education and Training. No mention of Nobochle and Cabane who, Well, one had to read between the lines. Now in the last few moments, a new statement, an updated statement from the Presidency. It says this this is the heading President Romo Pausa removes doctor in Cabane and appoints new Minister and Deputy Minister of Higher Education and Training. That the sentence President saw Romo Porsa has removed doctor Nbuchlyn Cabane from the role of Minister and Higher Education and Training. There's a lot going on here. Donovan Williams as a social commentator in Analyst Donovan Good Evening, I've seen the presidency release statements about reshuffles and removals before. I don't think I've ever seen them announcing well here's the new person, and then a few moments later another statement saying well, actually, yes we did remove them.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 11: It is quite interesting and I think it was mainly prompted by the release of a statement by the Ministry of As headed by the previous minister. I think like a mini muntypython sc by the previous minister thanking the President for serving without necessary saying they are removed or they have resigned. And the interpretation by that was that she had resigned and not the President had removed her. So the latest statement by the President is to confirm that she was actually removed, because the interpretation was that her statement meant that she had resigned. It's kind of like this in a way, if I could use this football analogy on transfers and the team I support in England for all my I guess bad doing is Manchester United, and generally speaking, how they go through transfers.
Speaker 5: Is that they take quite a long time.
Speaker 11: In the end, they pay the club what the club that ouked for initially, and you always wonder as a fan that why didn't you do that in the first place, Why did you go back and forth and with the president on this matter. It seems like he should have have moved very quickly when he had asked her to explain and did not condone her behavior in the Portfolio committee. He should have moved it without the prompting because what it looks like now it was prompted by his opposition parties, the AFF, the DA and so forth, as well as the South African Students Congress and et cetera. So I don't think the President has helped himself. But at the same time, it's an outcome that I think is good. But he's putting himself in a situation where he is dand.
Speaker 5: If he does or damned if he doesn't, and he shouldn't do that.
Speaker 11: So the certainly the South Africans want, they don't feel it even when he asserts himself.
Speaker 5: That's potentially what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: That's that's such an interesting point, So that, I mean, how important was this to this, to all of this, And it may be impossible to know what how important was the DA threat to vote against the higher education budget if she were still the minister, and that would have put the entire budget process in danger and perhaps brought about the end of the coalition. Now I'm sure that DA is going to say, look what we did, We're very clever, etc. I'm sure the A and C is going to say, no, no, no, no, no, it was something else. How important was that?
Speaker 11: Look, we would as you started, we would never really know, except I would say this, our politics are in trouble, steven or parliamentary or party politics are in trouble. If it's horse trading to that extent, if it's horse trading to that extent, where an a matter that doesn't necessarily faith the country in terms of the budget, you are saying we will not vote if you don't remove X minister or so forth. If we get to that point, and I think all the parties must start to realize that South Africa's party politics.
Speaker 6: Is in trouble.
Speaker 11: No single party got over fifty percent, No single party can claim that they have the actual, real critical mass or majority of South Africans. Voting has consistently, you know, decreased very very consistently, and sharply even for that matter, So we have I think political leaders and this is not about government of national immunity and so forth must say to themselves, are we making our politics like a bazaar where you shop for the best pride and have very little with what we require as a country. So that must bother us, and that must posit the president as well as well as the leadership of the Democratic Alliance or whatever else, who thinks that you should be barttering in this way. It's craft and it's not required when you look at what we require, what we need in the country.
Speaker 3: Donovan Williams really appreciate the time tonight at short notice. Thank you, Social commentator and analyst will now the presidency confirming that the President removed the Higher Education Minister.
Speaker 6: What ups Stephen only seventy two seven oh two one.
Speaker 1: Seven oh two.
Speaker 3: A confirmation this morning from Sabania Stillwater. It's spending just under one and a half billion rand. It's buying the American firm Metallics Refining. It produces gold, platinum group metals and silver from industrial waste streams in North Carolina, Pea Major, the director of mining at Modern Corporate Solutions peta good evening. Basically, Sabania gets more access to gold, silver and PGM production. It's also happening in the US where it's protected from tariffs. On paper, this would look like a good deal.
Speaker 4: It does look like a good deal.
Speaker 8: I'm not sure if the price is a great deal or not, because that's the single biggest determinant of return on investment. We don't need what we're above that to tell us that. But that's what he always says. The price you enter in is the single most important consideration. But at least you're buying something that is very similar to something they already have.
Speaker 5: They've already had a big.
Speaker 8: PGM recycling business, so there will be synergies there. It's easy to those synergies. They don't have to use smoke and mirrors to justify it. It's not like they're buying a different commodity in a different country that they've never had presence or experience in. And I don't know how much of this is paid in cash your shares because it's still a chunk of money, and it says it's paid in cash, But when your share price has gone up threefold in the last six months, it's not hard to raise that kind of cash. So say, this isn't a bad deal for Sabania on what I've seen compared to the other deals they've been making the last few years.
Speaker 5: I think this is a decent deal, Steve.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's fascinating to watch this play out. So Sabania produces platinum, platinum is exempt from US tariffs? Is it now in a you know, a really strong position. No matter kind of what happens, it's someone's playing very very good trump chess here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I.
Speaker 8: Think they would have bought it under the current I think they would I bought it without all this tariff hussle. To be honest, it was quite forthright when they bought still a few years ago. We have to diversify out of South Africa, and we know we have to pay more than we pay for assets in South Africa. We think it's worth the trouble, the risk, the expense, so that shareholders have a very international company that's much more impervious to the machinations of South African politics and legislation, et cetera. So I think, like I said, this is more in line with their traditional work. And yeah, it's on the far end of the PGMs. It's after they've dug them out on the ground, refined them, sold them, they got used up, and then they get to recycle them again. And the fact that they got the PGM metal prices, all of them turning now and going in their favor for the last few months. It's really given a great suit charge to the share to the company.
Speaker 3: Peter Major, thank you so much, Director of Mining at Modern Corporate Solutions.
Speaker 12: The Money Show with Stephen Croutez is brought to you by Absolve Corporate and Investment Bank crowd sponsor of the African Blockchain Report twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Well, you've heard over the last few months a little bit of a debate around whether government should still encourage or even financially incentivize smelters to operate when they use so much electricity. I suppose this takes you to an argument about industrial policy, whether we should still be producing certain products here. If you don't, you're de industrializing. And of course there is this strong argument that you should be beneficiating our minerals here rather than selling them a sort of raw awe to China.
Speaker 13: RP.
Speaker 3: Fullard is the CEO of Glencoy glen Core Pharaoh Alloys. Yuppie, good evening, thanks for your time. You're in an interesting position. You actually produce chrome with Marafa Resources, you had to suspend production of some of your smelters. Electricity prices are very high. I'm sure you would agree with me. They're going to go higher. Still, is there still an economic case for chrome smelters in South Africa?
Speaker 14: There are good Evening Stephen, and first of all, thank you also for the opportunity to also put our viewpoint forward. Would it be okay perhaps if I can just just quickly highlight Glink or especially our footprint in South Africa. As you know, we've got Glink or Fellow always where we've got massive beneficiation operations. We've got chrome mines underground chrome mines, so that means that we are integrated, so we mind the are and then we also beneficiate the ore. Then we also have got astron energy as you know, and then also Glink or Cole, So I mean from that perspective, Glink is actually quite a big player in South Africa in terms of using it using you know, electricity, but also in coal to be able to actually produce electricity.
Speaker 5: So we are we are on a very fortunate puisition.
Speaker 14: But coming back to your question, just in terms of beneficiating or into ferrow, you know, into ferrochrome. So that means you take the value of the ore and you upgrade it, and by doing that you are adding a huge amount of value. And if you just think about all the positive spin offs. I mean, obviously we are very electricity intensive, and this is where the challenge comes in, is that you know, during load shedding, we as the as the energy intensive users, are being asked, let's try to pull back some of our operations, which we are doing and did do so in the past quite you know, quite successfully.
Speaker 5: But unfortunately.
Speaker 14: I mean, if you have a look at what happened since two thousand and seven, electricity prices went up but by more than eight hundred think and where the GDP only went down by one So you can see that there is a massive disconnect. And for that reason, if you compare US versus China or more than fifty percent cheaper than us on electricity and lectricity being a very important cost effecting our operations, I mean.
Speaker 3: That that that probably almost makes it unbeatable. Unfortunately, are the other big risk to you the regulatory environment. I mean, regulations can change quite quickly. Cabinet I think two months ago said they supported an export tax on chrome for example. I mean, I wasn't expecting that you might have been. Is there regulatory environment? Does that make it tough for you?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I mean, of course, I think just to come back again, South Africa sits between seventeen and eighty percent of the chrome or in the world, the place in South Africa. So obviously we we are South Africans have got first of all the right and and and then secondly the opportunity to actually create the value. And due to policy, it makes it quite difficult because I mean, obviously the Aortax, we knew about this coming coming forward a while ago. But it's it's important to understand that it's not a single solution that is going to help us to really beneficiate in South Africa. I'm not sure if you know about the cabinet statement that was released by the on the on the twenty sixth of June and in the year they specifically refer to a cheaper electricity tariff for the energy intensive users. So if we can get that, obviously we will then be more competitive. So that's the first focus. The first focus should be to have cheaper, cheaper electricity and that is a govern policy that need to you know, to change and if they can do that, sure, obviously we you know, we will be the competitive and then obviously there's yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, sorry, we've got thirty seconds left left. There's a trade off here. So government on the one side, if they give you cheaper electricity, if they change the policy in that regard, okay, it'll involve Eskin, but that probably means that everybody else has to pay a little bit more. Now, explain to me why it would be worth that. What I'm really asking you is to paint the picture for me of South Africa without ferrochrome smelters.
Speaker 14: Yeah, Stephen, I think that that is that is the perfect you know a question if you have a look at what we are contributing to to you know, towards Iscom's revenue. We're talking about on the fedoclone side, between fifteen and twenty billion rand per year if we close down all the smelters. I mean, I just want to say that we don't have one smelter current is running, so that means ISCAM doesn't get that electron sales. So either you get fifteen billion which they are getting now versus zero. So the South Africa is somebody is going to pick it up anyway. So it's actually more beneficial to actually use more electrons so that they can have a constant revenue and by having that work around alternatives, I'm not treating that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Sure does Yappi Filler, thanks very much in Dedco for glen Core Pharaoh Alloys. Just bringing the time to just after seven o'clock.
Speaker 1: And now the Money Show with Stephen credits.
Speaker 3: On seven oh two network that all The Money Show with Stephen Cretis is brought to you by ABS, the Corporate and Investment Bank, proud sponsor of the African Blockchain Report twenty twenty four. Good evening, Welcome to the second hour. I'm Stephen Cretis. Well already, I'm quite a sort of busy money show really. The Presidency statement kicking us off, saying that there was a new Minister of Higher Education, clarification about what had happened Tonbokle and Kabane. Then about half an hour later clarification from the presidents he's saying he had removed her. You heard Donovan Williams explaining earlier that in his view, it seems that Nobokle and Cabane may have caused that by simply announcing that she was leaving, not even really formally resigning. I suspect, though, that lots of people are going to see this in lots of different ways over the next little while, and it is going to all get a little bit messy. My first thought, of course, is that it should mean that there won't be any drama with the budget and the appropriations process in Parliament later this week. Hard to know for sure. This is South African politics we're talking about, but I would like to think that this will now go through. And I say that because having the budget stop now would lead us down a very very difficult path one way or another, whatever were to happen. We're talking councils and municipalities. In just a moment, Trevor Manual's been talking a little bit about them. And then well, of course we'll be looking at a book review. We'll be talking about companies that actually do change things. And then don't forget em Bali and Clap or someone who's made of money made a lot of money, well, I think done well for herself out of becoming a housekeeper and cleaning influencer. Did you know that in the last quarter of last year the number of domestic workers employed in South Africa was still sixteen percent lower than it was before the pandemic. Something happened in the pandemic to domestic work in this country, and think of how many people depend on it, how many families depend on what's happened to them. So one of the questions are put to Embali when she comes in in about twenty minutes time is if she's any seen any less demand during that time? Extraordinary things going on? Could to hear from you tonight as well? You may well have a view on the former higher education minister all the new one Puttimnamella I know double one douaa three oh seven two two one four four six o five six seven and voice notes tonight I know seven two seven oh two two.
Speaker 1: Stephens on the Money Show six to eight pm.
Speaker 3: Well, you probably know that many people feel well a bit frustrated about their municipalities at the moment. In most parts of the country. I think there's actually a growing sense of anger. In Joeburg. News twenty four has been reporting how the A and c's chief whip in joe Burg, sit In Biso Zongo, has been accused of running it basically a construction mafia. He denies interfering with the school project. It does seem that he was actually sentenced to two months in prison for his involvement in that. Again he denies that. Meanwhile, and this was very interesting last week the chair of Old Mutual Trevor Manuel, yes the former finance minister. He made a series of comments about councils in general and joe Burg in particular.
Speaker 15: If we look at what's happening in local government across the country, and for the bulk of my time, I live in Johannesburg, and you can't think of a worse local authority than Johannesburg. Many days without water, how many days without electricity, how many roads without potholes, how many roads where sewage does not flow down the streets because of neglect, because tenders are more important than the people.
Speaker 3: Trevor Manuel speaking last week at the funeral service of a former mayor, OK Theresa Solomon. She was, of course a former mayor of Cape Ton, did play other roles during the struggle and after nineteen ninety four as well to Tyro Rantlwane is engagement manager at in Tisaw Revenue Consulting to Tyro good evening. I think Trevimmanuel may have been speaking for many joe Berg residents when he said that, and maybe for a lot more people when he spoke about the sense that money is just being stolen or eaten or disappears somehow. Is that feeling ready backed up by evidence in many councils around the country.
Speaker 5: Graving Stephen, and thank you so much for having me Wimately, is that is the same messages reverberating throughout the different municipalities as well, right, I mean, if you look at even the works the white paper that we are busy reviewing now, the very very first critical issue that needs to be reviewed is basically municipal fiscussed and financial reform. You know, it's basically ensuring that the funds that are coming into municipalities are actually properly allocated. I mean, even our honorable President he actually mentioned that. I mean, he's on a speech saying that, you know, across the country, roads are not maintained, water electricity supplies are often disrupted, you know, I mean it's basically the basic services that a lot of a mere person like you and me are sometimes being discarded about. Because this is what we are experiencing on a daily basis. So there is an element of frustration and anger. There is the idea of mismanagement of funds that's happening. As I said, it's actually number one of the nine critical issues to be reviewed by the White Paper for Local Government.
Speaker 3: I don't even have to make the obvious point about joe Berg that I live in joe Burg, like River Manual, perhaps like yourself. I don't know. And there's a budget of eighty three billion round and I can't see where the money goes. I just can't. But there's another great example of how this particular council has dealt with money. Several years ago, they voted in favor of having a surcharge basically a if you buy prepaid electricity, you needed to pay a network fee.
Speaker 16: Right.
Speaker 3: They eventually implemented that at two hundred rand a month. And now suddenly they've decided because they went through a period of having decided to implement it but not actually doing it, now they're crawing back the money from people. I mean, this is kind of almost tailor made to frustrate.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's essentially sometimes what the people on the ground are actually constantly feeling that the constantly more and more money that's being taken out of our pockets, you know, And it comes back to really reviewing how money is actually being managed, and it talks about even transparency right and accountability and actually ensuring that what the municipality is as adequate public participation that's happening. People who are residents need to know what's happening, What is the strategy that the municipality is imposing. If the municipality isn't distressed financially, you know, let it be known. You know, let it be known. There'll be discussions. Let it be in diesels and people are away. Why there is a search charge that is being imposed, not just it being given to your false fed to you, but there has to be reasons behind it, and people somehow I believe it or not. Once you sit down and you actually explain the whole context, in most cases they do understand that you can't find we are where you're from, what you are about, what their accountability is and the transparency. Then we can actually then agree to the search charge if we see it fit. You know, it's all about transparency, It's all about getting public participation involved. And when you say transparency, even talking about financial management, right, we will then know how the money is being spent. It is spent to the development of what has meant to be allocated to, you know, and that is very key. And that's why a lot of people are actually very frustrated at the moment because it's like a dark curtain, you know, and all you get is just all your search are just coming in. But then there isn't a bit of transparency with me, and you are quite clear, and I say to what's happening and where we are going as a municipality.
Speaker 3: Is the white paper going to fix any of this?
Speaker 1: The t.
Speaker 3: I kind of want to just lie under the table while while we take a minute and think about it, you know.
Speaker 5: I mean even our president you know, mentioned that that it's all good and well on paper, right. However when it comes to execution, it's a different story. I Mean, the white paper itself really touches on all the core principles that needs to have to be achieved. I mean, if you look at the vision as well, it is really something to look forward to, you know, and ensuring that having every municipality really adhere to that vision will definitely change how South Africa is. However, it is not a silver bullet, right, It has multiple levers that need to be pulled, you know, and for that it really needs all people to really put their shoulder to the boulder and move this border appards. I mean, as I say it, we're talking about I mean there's also the issue of cater deployment, you know, where people are not necessarily qualified in their roles are in the you know. So it's all about ensuring all of these and ensuring that planning is better. I mean based on the white paper. I mean in the past five years, right, eighteen billion was returned to treasury eighteen billion, and yet we have so many municipalities that are in distress. So what does that tell you? Stevens tells you that there's poor planning and poor execution in some of the areas, you know, And what does that mean. It means that maybe bring in other people who can actually come in and actually execute. And what needs to explicit because every rand return to treasury is basically families that are not going to be impacted positively.
Speaker 3: There's there's an interesting thing that's been happening in Joeburg and There's been a lot of commentary about it, and maybe it's just a comment on the WhatsApp groups I belong to de Tirro about these public spaces like Marx Park, right, and that the city, all the city, all the Joeburg Property Company says it wants to do is kind of reassess whether they're being used effectively. What so many residents in Joeburg think is happening is that no, the city's going to take this over, try and make more money from it and effectively steal the commons from it still, you know, common areas from us now. I don't know which version is true. What I'm getting to is that the citizens are showing, or many of them, a complete lack of trust in the people who are running joebig. That's that's what I see from this, is that they don't trust Joe, they don't trust the council now and reminded that matter Queenie. Last year some people came very close to refusing to pay their rates, and I wonder how close we are to something like that.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm not necessarily going to speak for one specific municipality, Steven right, I mean what we do because we are involved in multiple local municipalities. We kind of do see some similar trends or similar pain points that are being experienced, you know, and there is definitely an increased non payment culture that's happening, right, and majority of it is because we're not getting the basics right. You know, people are not getting the statements of time, or people are not being built as accurately. I know that there's a lot of estimates that have been done in a lot of municipalities as well. Why because some of the things that meter reading is not being done as effective as supposed to be.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 5: So those are small things that one can actually start looking into. As another strateisical leader. They keep on emphasizing the transparency. You know, when you're transparent, then you actually ensure that public participation is the people really then understand what's going on.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 5: It's like the board, you know, you constantly have to ensure that your shareholders know what's happening. If there's an Iceberger hate, you need to tell them in time that listen, there's a potential term work coming. So that's the reason why we might actually have a specific surcharge. So yes, there's definitely a huge, huge, non payment culture. I mean, as we speak now, I think there's about three hundred and forty eight billion that has been ulti municipalities by residents. You know, especially when you're talking about electricity day now, when you actually touch base on some of these majorities and are saying, well, I'm being built, but I don't trust what I'm being built. So that's why I keep on saying that transparency and public participation is very important, but talking about it as well as financial mismanagement needs to be really curved. You know, people need to be accountable, and then people need to make sure that the right decision makers with qualifications that can really cutapult the municipality to the next level, are they you.
Speaker 3: Know, he needs people with vision. Yeah, the Tyroll, thanks so much. Really appreciate the time the Tyroll run. Laowane, his engagement manager at in Tesau Revenue Consulting. So much going on in the local government space, so much not going on in the local government space at the moment. The Money Show Business books, well, yeah, man managing director of Gateway's Business Consultants. He's been looking at the book Distinguishes not Distinguished Distinguishes by Professor Sandra vanderva Ye and good evening fund I think quite a long track record in South Africa and marketing all sorts of things as all sorts of things. What's this, what makes what distinguishes distinguishers.
Speaker 17: Distinguishers is an unusual what she does. It's it's almost an encyclopedia where the world's moving to. But she analyzes what she's seeing and she breaks up into four four stages. And the beauty of this is that you can actually understand where it's all going to, and you get a sense of where you should be positioning yourself and I should be looking at your company and what more they can actually do. The book covers by one hundred different companies and examples from all of them, local, international, everywhere. So it's a fascinating read, reads very easily, and it's not just an agglomeration of a lot of ideas. She's got a model that comes right through this. She says that they are four stages in change that goes on. First stage is to shake up and disrupt the status quo. The second stage is to frame an emerging future so it's different to what's now, and then you're going to build into their future. The third one is anything you do do at speed because the guys are coming after you. And the last one is scale it up. So what she's done, she's taken examples from all over to show how all this can work. Now, the thing what's most useful is that actually is practical. You if somebody said well you must shake up your industry and say, well, a great idea, what does that actually mean? And I think that she's using She's shown examples of four different types of shakeup. I'll just give you a couple. One of them is is the logical triggers. There are things which are happening around you which are logically not okay, And when you look at it, you say, logically, here we have far too many accidents in this country, and because we have far too many accidents, it costs insurance companies a great deal of money. Logically, there must be a better way to do it. And then you give people like discoveries, saying okay, i'll tell you what. We'll give you all sorts of benefits if you drive properly, so we'll monitor your how you drive, how you break all sorts of things, and if you're good at that, we're gonna benefit you're gonna benefit from it, So I've now got an incentive to actually try to be a better driver. There will be a logical trigger for something else. You also get emotional triggers. So what happens is you can you might find that you've got a you're involved in something and it's emotional, and you see music and you want to enjoy it more, but you can't. So you have to have something or other that's going to allow you to enjoy that sort of thing. The ethical triggers. The ethical trigger could be we've got to try and make money more available to people. So if you took something like impesso, which is a way of sharing money with people who don't have bank accounts, you've got all those sorts of ways that there's got to be a better way of doing it. And people who have come up and started to do new things are the ones that make a difference. She tells a cut little story about Zuckerberg early at the very early point of trying to build Facebook and one of the you can imagine suited investor system. Have you got any examples of anybody who's created a global social network and made any money out of it? He said, no, but that's exactly the point, sure, and I think that the key is to try and find something that nobody else has done so you can start doing something that really makes the difference. So what we what when you look at trying to shake up an industry. One of the most obvious examples of an industry that's shaking up. As opposed to selling stuff, we're selling services. So you don't you wouldn't but you wouldn't buy a car, you'd buy the service of a car.
Speaker 3: And so it's going from buying your IBM computer yes, to buying services from ib.
Speaker 17: Now the lovely part about that is IBM would retain the computer themselves, they sell, have it on their balance sheet, and all they have to do is they have to see to it that works all the time, because if it stops working, you'll cancel your contract to give it back or you should be giving it back and they will repair it for you quickly so that you can continue using it.
Speaker 6: So the challenge is not Yes, there.
Speaker 17: Are people in in in South Africa who might put solar panels on your roof, but there's a there's a company in the United States called sun Run. What they do is they will they will rent you the solo, which is terrific, except that all you want from solar panels is electric So what you do is you don't rent the panels. You pay only for electricity that you use. And this is there's a there's a mind shift because as opposed to saying, well, you've rented the car and now you just have to have it. So you've rented the car fromust and our job to see too that you can continue to doing what you paid money for, which is to drive the car. So you might only pay for the amount of kilometers that you drive, but it's turning as much as you possibly can into into into a service which we've never had before. And I think that that's that's a game changer.
Speaker 3: So I mean when we talk about distinguishes, what we're really talking about our companies that actually change the world.
Speaker 17: Absolutely, And it really is that to the extent that you're you're talking about changing changing behavior. You don't want to simply create new stuff which will enhance people's behavior, but what you are trying to do is you want to literally change their behavior to reflect what the new demands would be. You want to improve the products or services, so you find better ways of doing what they can do. So you're trying to really shape things completely differently. And I think that the the instead of using technology to enhance your ability to produce more products more cheaply, you use technology to see that the customer's experience is much more wholesome and therefore they more likely to use your product more.
Speaker 3: So You've got, You've got. These are not ideas.
Speaker 17: You can actually read this lovely book with hundreds literally I think it's about a hundred different companies that they talk about, but that she talks about, all of these companies are going to be examples of what you can do. I think this book is particularly valuable to people in business only because it will stimulate your thinking. And I think that what happens very often we hear more of the same. And when you hear stuff, we're just out of the box. That's nice, and especially if there's something already in the box, so you can say they did this, let's do something else. And if somebody has done something, you can always have an add on if you look. If you think that you can turn a car in into an asset which now becomes something you can use. But if you can't afford the asset, maybe you could just rent the asset, says Now a company there rents ubers and and supposed to whenning where the guys actually can give you your money back as he as he clocks the fear that he has a portion of their fear goes directly to a person that's rented the car from. There's a company that's set up South Africa and i think also in Brazil, and you find clever ways of getting much much more out of the satisfaction that the customer will get from using your product.
Speaker 3: It's really and it's really it's a really interesting study. I mean, there are a lot of companies to look through. She must have done a ton of research she has.
Speaker 17: I mean they're they're South Africa, and they're international all sorts, and they come from all different areas of business. So you've you've really got a lot of things to get your mind around and a lot of stimulus. It's it's one of those books that really should be read by all business people because it's a stimulating will give you so many wonderful ideas that you can think of, and and behind all of that is this four part model that you're trying to change things and you're trying to move into someone which was quite different. You really do want to want to shake up what's happening in disrupt The opposite of a distinguisher is an extinguisher. If you don't, if you keep doing what you've always done, wan't, you won't get what you voys.
Speaker 3: Had something to read then while you wait for your fly Cepha flight and thank you our regular book reviewer MD at Gateways Business Consultants. The book is called Distinguishers. It's by Professor Sandra vander Mehevi. It's just gone seven point.
Speaker 2: Thirty Her Money Show, How I make my money?
Speaker 3: Well, there are lots of different ways to make money in South Africa. As you know in Bally and Clapple has done something that many people sort of run away from. I think most of us run away from cleaning and dirt. She's run towards it, she's described. I don't know and BALI, how you feel about this about her as a housekeeper and cleaning influencer. Do you ever better? Do you prefer I mean, do you prefer something else?
Speaker 14: No?
Speaker 13: I prefer that I prefer to be called a housekeeper. I prefer to be called a housekeeper. Actually that's what I love.
Speaker 3: Well, good evening, Thank you so much for joining us. And in case you're wondering how she feels about her work, here has a little taste of some of what in Bali's done over the years.
Speaker 18: The house kip pa dy of keeping all your trustes nice and key one cup of one cup of vinegar kills your trust for table like it's running out of fashion. Also keeps your TV, your computer, your laptop spring a nice how amazing?
Speaker 2: Do not that you do not do the ladd shape.
Speaker 3: However, do the s Patan shape and the plasses will be nice.
Speaker 1: And she lack.
Speaker 2: Minds val.
Speaker 11: The house.
Speaker 3: In Bali you pretty much like that in person. I made the point that most of us run away from dirt. You run towards and I love it. What do you see that we don't?
Speaker 13: I see it clean space, A fresh mind when I see I kind of even.
Speaker 2: Explain it the way I love it. I see a fresh mind.
Speaker 13: When your space, or your place or your home is clean, your mind is always sharp. Actually, a clean house is a happy home. A tattlers house is a peaceful home.
Speaker 3: You don't think I mean, some people say no I've got young children and dogs and things, and I quite like the mess. You don't like that at all? No, I don't, No, I don't.
Speaker 13: So.
Speaker 3: I mean I was thinking a little bit about what could make it so because it's rewarding for you, right, yes, And I was thinking, like often you can be at work as part of a team and you don't know what your contribution is. You can spend a lot of time and energy with your children. You don't know if that's going to work out. But when you clean, you can see the results. The result is that part of it, do you think?
Speaker 13: Yes, you can see the results. And you know what satisfying is When you get into a room, the walls are deity when you finished there, they are so nice and clean. There is satisfying When the laundry is dirty, when you finished, it smells fresh. That is so satisfying. Shoes, especially sneakers. I can go on and on, because a clean house is a happy home.
Speaker 3: How did it start for you? I mean, how did you end up doing this?
Speaker 13: I end up doing this because it started when I was retrained. Actually I was working at a finisher shop. Then I was retrainched shop. I sat at home about three weeks, my sister in law called me to say that in Bali, I've made arrangement with another lady.
Speaker 2: She did not come.
Speaker 13: I'm still waiting at the apartment station. I said, okay, hold on, I called, I called, I called, I called, everyone a church all around, and one lady said I'm going to do it. I said, Mama, you know that was twenty fifteen. You know that you're going to work. They sleep in and doing that. She said, I'm going to do it. Even today, she's still working there. After them three weeks or so, everyone was calling me, now, Bali, can I have a cleaning lady, Bali, can you come and clean for me?
Speaker 2: And my neighbor said I need to clean for hey. So she said okay. Everyone was now calling me.
Speaker 13: I said, okay, so this is Bali Shanganisa Bally this and yet I know how to clean, I know the diis.
Speaker 2: So it was just a combination.
Speaker 3: How did you find people to actually fill the jobs? I mean, was it church networks? Was it something else?
Speaker 13: It was before it was church networks, Before it was church networks. Now there are people that are applying to be housekeepers. Before it was simply church networks and then now every CV you get CV, you get applications.
Speaker 3: I mean, are there some people who you don't pass, who you don't you don't accept.
Speaker 2: Yes, not everyone can be a housekeeper. Not everyone one can be.
Speaker 3: So when you I mean you're cleaning, you're running a business, You're doing some of the cleaning yourself, you film yourself doing this. Are you still sort of getting a sense of satisfaction when you go to bed every night, not just because of the work, because of the work of getting other people work, but because of actually the cleaning that you're doing yourself. Every time.
Speaker 13: I get satisfied each and every time, especially when I come to train.
Speaker 2: When I go to train.
Speaker 13: Housekeepers, I get so satisfied to think that that housekeeper has saved their job. She is going to be a proper housekeeper, not a perfect one, but getting to detail one.
Speaker 3: I feel happy. What kind of training do you do?
Speaker 2: What does it take train housekeepers?
Speaker 13: I train someone that wants to become a cleaning expect someone that loves to clean, someone that is working as a housekeeper currently.
Speaker 2: It actually takes for them to know what to do, what to use, how to use it so that you save time.
Speaker 3: I mean that's saving time is a big thing. You can You can get a lot done if you know exactly what you're doing.
Speaker 13: Exactly and knowing what to use correctly. You're actually saving a lot of time.
Speaker 3: When you are helping people into employment. Sometimes I wonder if South African bosses are maybe not very nice. Have you come across that A lot? A lot people are not the same.
Speaker 13: Same applies with workers like your your housekeepers, They're not the same. I normally say that I will train a housekeeper to be etarawan. Yeah, I can't train a bet attitude. So people are not the same. If you've got bet attitude, there's nothing that I can do about it. If you're willing, I can definitely.
Speaker 3: Work with you. And some bosses people who want housekeepers. I mean, if you ever had to say, well, actually i've dealt with you before, I'm not going to do I'm not going to help you again.
Speaker 2: No I haven't getten to that point.
Speaker 3: Well, I hope it doesn't happen. The experience of helping people into work that must be very empowering because people are desperate. I mean people are desperate everywhere. Yes, yes it must be.
Speaker 13: It's actually so good it feels so good, especially when you help someone to find work to be at wake and they last at that work and they make their bosses happy. Actually it's two way. The homeowners are happy. Sister is happy, we call them sisters. Sisters is happy, then you are good.
Speaker 3: You good.
Speaker 2: People are looking for employment.
Speaker 3: Do you employ any men? Yes?
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 3: Do you notice any differences about how it works out?
Speaker 13: Yes, I've noticed. You know what, brothers, I'm not sure it's because of their where they're coming. They know that if you don't have ten runs, you don't have ten runts. Brothers are hard working. They don't come with stories to say that tomorrow I'm taking a child to school, or I'm sick or what.
Speaker 2: They're hardworking.
Speaker 3: Sure, I mean I'm always told that it's men once you are lazy.
Speaker 2: No, actually men who loves to clean.
Speaker 3: And ages. I mean, do you find a difference because I mean sometimes older people look at younger people and say they don't want to work, you know. I mean that's what older people have always said through the ages, and that is true. Wow.
Speaker 13: Sometimes Actually the ages, it's tricky house. So you find a lady that is fifty five years old, yeah, they want to mother you yeah, it's your home. You find there is six or twenty seven or the tear lady. They don't want to work, actually they don't. They're not getting their house working. Yes, how is that being a housekeeper or the cleaning business? So it differs, and living life experience matters. I think, you know, if you're working in a house that's got young children and you don't know what young children are, you know, that's a whole new level of stuff.
Speaker 3: That's the whole new level.
Speaker 13: And also getting a younger lady that will be willing to as young as she is, she's willing to know, she's willing to lend, she wants to grow as a housekeeper.
Speaker 3: So something happened during COVID nineteen, right, and I went to go and look up the numbers. Earlier today and last in the last quarter of last year, Statsis stated a survey about domestic workers, and they found that the number of people working as domestic workers was sixteen percent lower than it wasn't twenty nineteen. So, in other words, something like sixteen percent of the people who are working as domestic workers in twenty nineteen are not working as domestic workers now. And that scares me. Because that's a large number of people who usually the only person who was working in the family bringing money in. Do you still see strong demand? How's demand for your services? People phoning you? How's that changed over the years.
Speaker 2: It has changed a lot since from COVID until now. I do agree.
Speaker 13: Usually we'd have domestic workers that will go on leaf December time. We used to be so busy December time is that time because of most of the domestic workers are now going on leaf and us the sisters at work will come and stand in. So now because of since COVID, they're no longer going on leaf. They take weekends off instead of the whole December. So maybe it's because of money. Instead of the easters, they can take weekend off, not the whole month.
Speaker 2: So it yes, the demand has changed.
Speaker 3: People must be finding it tougher. Yes, I think everybody seems to be finding it tougher. That must be very tricky.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is.
Speaker 13: Actually has changed a lot compared to what we know to say that December you will hire temps.
Speaker 2: Actually we'd start October to train.
Speaker 13: The housekeepers temp because we know that December will be so busy.
Speaker 3: Now it's no longer the same sure. Do you expect so having domestic workers is it's not something you see in most parts of the world. You do see it in Southern Africa, and it's very entrenched in our society. I mean, it's something that maybe hasn't changed much at all since nineteen ninety four. There's a Labor Relations Act, there's compensation, there's even a union that I think hasn't done very well, but it's really hardly changed. Do you think it's ever going to change? Do you think we're always going to have this? I mean sometimes I think we need it because of the employment it provides. But it is a kind of almost uniquely South African thing.
Speaker 2: It will change.
Speaker 13: It will change now Before we used to think that domestic workers are just domestic work. Now the domestic workers industry is actually a profession, so we need to take it professionally, register them for you if for pension finding all that.
Speaker 2: It will change.
Speaker 3: It's very interesting sort of to sort of work it all out. Do you ever feel a sense of stress that people rely on you for their jobs? And when I speak to people who run businesses, you know, I think that moment where somewhere they're responsible for someone else's salaries that must be very scary.
Speaker 2: You do feel stressed. I would stress.
Speaker 13: I will feel stressed because if I don't get clients coming in, there's fifteen people or eighty people that are not working. So I need to make it a point that they keep on waking. Remember it's not only them, it's their kids. They are family that are looking upon them. So they are looking upon me and their kids are looking upon them. So yes, you do feel stressed.
Speaker 3: We're speaking to Embali and Clapo this evening, Housekeeper and cleaning Influencers. She's with us through until eight o'clock on The Money Show.
Speaker 12: The Money Show with Stephen Crotest is brought to you by Absolute Corporate and Investment Bank Drought, sponsor of the African Blockchain Report twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: The Money Show, I Make my money.
Speaker 3: Imbaliant clop Or, the housekeeper and cleaning influencer with us on The Money Show this evening. All right, and Bali, I mean I have a few questions. I have to ask about the actual nitty gritty the worst job you've ever had to do, where you've opened or you've got to the property and smelt the air or whatever it is. Are you able to tell us.
Speaker 13: Yes, I'll tell you. The worst job that I've ever done is the holder home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, someone there is a holder.
Speaker 13: Actually, when you get there, the cockorroagers I just all over, kep waves are just all over, and the smell of res urine before you even sit, the smell is there. You'll go there, put on your mask, your clouds, and you need to get to work.
Speaker 2: You are called to do that. You are called to do that, and you need.
Speaker 3: To do it. Do you wear a protective suit when you do a job like that? Yes?
Speaker 13: And I make it a point that when I come to when I get it home by the front door, I need to take out my my trouser before I get insight, because you never know, maybe might have some cockorroaters or what are they many jobs like that?
Speaker 3: I mean things happen. People maybe pass away and now their children come, or the next door neighbor says, or something's happened here or whatever. So I mean there must be big jobs like that.
Speaker 2: No, they are.
Speaker 13: They are big jobs like that. Sometimes maybe someone has passed away. The relatives are getting to that house and calling us to say that please did that, and we need to sell the house.
Speaker 2: Or we need someone to stay in the house. There's so many jobs like.
Speaker 3: That, and you go with a team when you do that.
Speaker 8: Yes, like.
Speaker 2: Tell me I have the a team of.
Speaker 13: That week for that job. There's an eighteam that specifically deals with it.
Speaker 3: I would think for the owner or the person asking you, they're just going to pay the money. They want to walk away. They want to walk away. They'll ask you how many hours. You tell them the hours, they'll come back afternoon. Yeah, yes, so there's money to be made. Are the particular jobs you have to charge a lot for? So a job like that would be a lot. Do you find that? And maybe there's a small business you end up having to charge more for than a private home or their particular homes where actually you can just you can just tell from the person on the other end of the phone, this is going to be a big job.
Speaker 2: No, you can't.
Speaker 3: You need to go and quote.
Speaker 13: You need to go and quote for such they'll tell you aspects is to say that there's this room that was not opened for ten years. There's these rooms the windows were not opened for fifteen years.
Speaker 3: You need to go and quote. So removing things like stains, right, what are the toughest stains, and I presume they're on particular material, So it must be tougher to get red wine out of this than it is out of that.
Speaker 13: Okay, removing stains is my heavy place. Actually, I know removing stains is my heavy place. Such as when you've got stained wine stain on a white tshirt, it's not like when you have it on a carpet. Yeah, so on a white tshirt you lose high ridge in peroxide dish washing liquid and.
Speaker 2: Buy carbonut of salt right dish washing liquid? Yes, correct.
Speaker 13: Now, on on a carpet stain, you need to mix hydrogen peroxide, salt by cobonut of soda.
Speaker 2: And a lemon.
Speaker 3: Does it matter how long the stain's been there for, Yes, it does.
Speaker 13: The longer the stain was, the harder for the stain to it's going to come out. You need to soak those products. Yes, still using the same products as long as the wine stain is they just soak it.
Speaker 3: Is it ever impossible to get a stain out?
Speaker 13: Ever?
Speaker 2: Impossible?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 16: Really, no, no, no it's not. It's not impossible. As long as you know what to use, it's not so so if you can't get the stain out. You're the one making the mistake.
Speaker 13: You're the one that's making the mistake or not using the correct detagent.
Speaker 3: Sure, so can you make it look like new? What do you think? I mean a white shirt? Yes, red wine, white shirt. You can't make it look exactly how it was, not.
Speaker 13: Exactly how it was. Because maybe, let's say it's not new. You can make it clean. Yeah, like I'm always saying, what it is?
Speaker 1: Not new?
Speaker 2: However clean.
Speaker 3: When I was younger, you were never allowed to drink red wine because of the stain. Now people drink it all over the place, even the couches. Yes, the other time we were removing wine stain on a white couch. That took us two days. Two days. Yes, we have to use a hair dryer or something at some point.
Speaker 13: Why did it took us two days? The first day we went and soak the couch. The second day we went and cleaned the couch. Yes, did red wine get easier to clean? Did we just get better at it?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 2: It doesn't.
Speaker 13: It doesn't come out easier. However, we need to use the correct ones and also soak it. Like I said, we went two days. First day was the soaking second day was.
Speaker 3: The sure do people get in touch? So you obviously you're a business that wouldn't exist without social media. Yes, no, it would, it would, it would, but you'd be very different. Yes, I think, I mean yeah, So, I mean it's interesting to look at the impact of social media for businesses a lot, because I mean, and I keep using this example. Lisa Rally was talking to us a while ago. She runs health stores, so Jim. So she she started by going to people's houses, right, and she always used this example, had to put leaflets under people's windscreens. So she'd go to a university or something, or a hospital or whatever and just put all these leaflets. Now that leaflet is Instagram, it's whatever the doctor. Yes, and waking that work must be such a big part of your business.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is. It is such a big part of the business.
Speaker 13: Before COVID for the TikTok Brainston, it used to be flyers standing door to door or to the gate or to the robots.
Speaker 2: Now we're no longer doing the flyers as much. Now on social media.
Speaker 3: You and I met you half an hour ago. Strike me as someone who is not scared to go in front of a video camera. Talk on the radio things like that.
Speaker 16: No, I'm not.
Speaker 3: Would it have been much harder if you were, Yes, it.
Speaker 13: Would have been much harder if I if I was scared to do it, it was going to be higher.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because I'm not scared to do it, it's actually easier.
Speaker 3: So what I'm saying is that for a small business person, someone who wants to start a small business as you have, who's a bit shy, they can have a tough time. I think nowadays.
Speaker 13: Definitely, definitely, because nowadays you need to stand in front of the camera and do your thing.
Speaker 2: So if you shy, you need to come out of the shyness.
Speaker 3: And BALI we've got We've got twenty seconds left. Yes, you're very confident for the future, lots of demand. Maybe pass it on to your family, get them involved as you do. Yes, I am very confident to the few. As long as we have houses, then we have business and red wine and red wine and Confisstine and Berlin Clappell. Thank you very much, Really enjoyed talking to you tonight on The Money Show. How she makes her money, the housekeeper and cleaning influencer, cleaning up the mess that we make.
Speaker 12: The Money Show with Stephen Krutz is brought to you by Absolve Corporate and Investment Bank Drought, sponsor of the African Blockchain Report twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Well, US market's looking up mostly today, particularly a lot of tech news coming up at record highs as they were for the JSE earlier. The Dow Jones are half a percent, the Nazek up three quarters of a percent, and the S and P five hundred ze point six percent at the moment. Lots to come in the next twenty four hours or so. We used to talk about changing payment systems on the Money Show this evening. Don't forget the developing story. Of course, what the presidency has now confirmed is the remove rival I think was the word of a higher education minister. Good evening, it's eight o'clock