Speaker 1: Seven notes.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the best of The Money Show.
Speaker 3: The Money Show.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Best Bits of the Money Show, a digestive some of the most important insights, thoughts, comments and opinions from the week that we've just been through. You may find that some of them are rarely worth sharing with the friends. Someone about to make a big decision, or someone who you think just needs a little bit more context before they actually go ahead and do whatever it is they're going to do with their money, might just be worth sharing it with them on WhatsApp or something like that. Go to your podcast app and search for The Money Show to start. Some of the news stories that really did dominate the week, obviously, the fact that the US President Donald Trump saying he'll impose a thirty percent tariff on all of our imports to the US from the first of August really being the big story, had a big market reaction to that, and of course in the middle of that, no one really knows what's actually going to happen come the end of the month. The police Minister Sincerome Clooney facing serious claims that he's involved in a criminal syndicate. They were made the claims came strangely from the a provincial Police Commissioner in Kwa zul Ntel and plantlam Guanazi. That's of course for the President to act on that. He's promised that he will and that it'll be over this weekend, so very much worth just paying attention to that and then discovery. The government employees' Medical Scheme and med Scheme have been accused of acting unfairly and in a racially discriminatory manner towards black healthcare providers. This came from an independent panel that was formed on behalf of the Medical Aid Schemes, the Councilful Medical Schemes that's been looking at this. The Medical Aid Scheme is very very angry in their response to this. Tonight we bring you a mixture of stories from the world of money from the week that has been this week's episode of Your Business. Book review for Your Sadiki, author of Hubris Maximus, The Shattering of Elon Musk, looking at some of the big controversy's Musker has been involved in and how he almost seems to court trouble. Sadiki has a thought provoking perspective on Musk's public persona I think.
Speaker 5: I mean, we've seen the proof kind of play out regarding his dispute with the President of the United States. We've seen sort of the proof of the idea, I suppose. I think the book gives readers a preview of the way that these spats played out with regulators, as you mentioned, or safety investigators or officials at you know, every seemingly every possible level of government or official life. You know, Musk would engage in what seemed like at times petty disputes or disputes that were not necessarily helpful to his businesses, but you know they were to advance, you know, what he believed was right. And we've seen this dynamic now play out with a person who some might argue is the most powerful in the world. And you know that attitude of Musks extends even to the President Lency of the United States.
Speaker 2: Your detail.
Speaker 4: In one account, there was an investigation into one of his cars that was involved in an accident, and it really mattered because it was about the sort of quote unquote auto driving feature of a Tesla. Right, and he's speaking to I think it's you call it the National Traffic Safety Board in the US. He's actually being interviewed formally over the phone by an investigator, and halfway through he gets so annoyed that he just put the phone down. I mean, that's an astonishing sort of insight into his character, right.
Speaker 5: I mean, in companies you know, who have been under the microscope and you know, this type of scrutiny from the National Transportation Safety Board have obviously, you know, reacted, not reacted positively right to those types of investigations. But the seeming breach of the established protocols to conduct this kind of investigation, and the lack of recognition of the goal, which you know, for the NTSB at that point, seemed to be gathering information in the interest of advancing safety at you know, at any cost, even if it has to be an uncomfortable conversation. You know, that lack of recognition from Musk was evident early on. You know, he just does not want to play that game if it's going to result in you know, discomfort, unexpected or unwanted scrutiny, or potentially get in the way of his broader ambitions.
Speaker 4: There's been acres of what we used to say newsprint, but by which I mean discussion here in commentary about whether part of Elon Musk's character in the ways behaved in the US is because of his upbringing here, and whether it's a sign of maybe I don't know, as the sort of time in which he was growing up, a sign of disrespectable authority, or maybe just feeding that he's better than everyone else. That doesn't seem to be a big feature of your book necessarily, but I mean, do you think that's I mean, dude, do you think of Americans.
Speaker 2: See it like that?
Speaker 4: That he's like that because he's from him?
Speaker 5: I think I have encountered that attitude obviously, as you mentioned, you know, it's not a feature you know, of discussion in the book, but I do think it occurs to people that you know, maybe the specific conditions of Musk's upbringing and some of what I do go into, you know, the bullying he faced as a child, or you know, his family life. You know, this idea of competition, of you know, a zero sum game. You know, like these things factoring into his business and you know, managerial style. It's not it's not like a you know, for completely foreign idea. Do Americans view it that way? I think certainly this question came up at a time when the Trump administration was looking to taken immigrants from South Africa.
Speaker 4: It's, you know, the issues around Twitter, around X. And I mean, I'm someone who years ago used to love X and now haven't tweeted for over a year just because he seems to have destroyed it. And maybe it was heading that way anyway. But at one point, you say, he sent an email to employees that they had to commit to quite enjoyed this phrase hardcore Twitter. Aston interesting thing to say, but the writing was on the wall. He was going to turn X into what it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, and this is another area where there seems to be a principle at play. It's this free speech absolutism, free speech maximalism. You know, let's welcome back individuals who or accounts whose suspension Musk objected to. But then, as the book lays out, there were times when there seemed to be arbitrary decision making that worked in Musk's favor, where you know, there were accounts that were you know, not necessarily Musk's favorite, who were subjected to discipline, were not you know, accepted on the platform. If you look at journalists in particular, if you look at an account that was tracking the location of Musk's private jet and the treatment of that account. So for all of the discussion that Twitter then became this cesspool and it was in the interest of free speech. There were now questions about whether Musk was actually abiding by the tenant that he laid out, which was free speech absolutism.
Speaker 4: There's a quote that there's a graveyard of his enemies. It's a quote described to him. Actually, there is a long list of people who've gone up against him, and most of them have kind of been flattened. How's he been able to run over so many people so strong? I mean, obviously he is clever. I mean, let's just accept that. But there must be something more to it. There's a force of personality.
Speaker 5: I think that is an area where the comparisons to President Trump seems strongest. Right, these are individuals who repeatedly have not faced the same consequences as you know, comparable individuals in their positions would, Right, And so how has Musk been able to, you know, I suppose get away with it all? He has this platform and he now owned there's a platform that he now owns which allows him tremendous influence. He is also the richest person in the world, and for a time he was close ally and you know, key advisor to the US president. So it's just an illustration of the power and the concentrated power that he has commanded.
Speaker 4: I was a little bit surprised that. I mean, look, like everybody, we kind of expected to bust up between Musk and Trump. But on all things, the issue of US government debt, it's not sexy, it's not interesting, it's very important. Musk may actually be on the right side of the argument. Do you think this was a relationship that they were just looking for the right rock to break it on?
Speaker 5: Not necessarily, And I take the point, but not necessarily because if you look at Musk's history, you know, when he has a goal in mind, and you know, there can be arguments on whether that is the right goal, whether that is the righteous thing to do, whether it's you know, morally the correct principle, But when he has a goal in mind, it is difficult to deter him from that specific goal. And that's a personality trait that I like to think is you know, laid out repeatedly within the book that you know, if he is focused on one aspect of the company or one of the areas of technology that he's overseeing. You know, he cannot be deterred from that easily. And you know, cutting federal spending and reducing the national debt was one of the tenants he laid out. Of course, people wonder like, why why is he so focused on that? He's hinted at like it's in service of this other goal to you know, get humanity to mars. So if he sees it as genuinely obstructing the goal, it stands to reason that, all right, he is now going to you know, mount to fight against it.
Speaker 4: He's not going to change course, is he. He's not going to change behavior. It's worked for him. That's how he'll see it. He's clever and better than everyone else. And I mean, this is how he is.
Speaker 5: I mean, I was frankly a bit surprised that he dialed back his attacks on Trump, and you know, he even said, you know, he regretted that some of it seemed to have gone too far. That felt like recognition that you know, maybe this was not a fight that that you know, would serve his best interests. But yeah, no, in general, he is He's not someone to back down.
Speaker 4: That was for hisz Sidiki, the author of Hoopers Maxims The Shattering of Elon Musk, a sharp and critically on Musk and the controversies around him. Seven Notes is the best of the Money Show from this week. On How I Make My Money This week, Susie Goodman, the executive director of Strauss and Co, sharing her insights into really an astonishing journey that she's had moving in the end to managing Africa's leading art auction house. Someone who is an art auction N's had a really interesting ride over the way, and particularly interesting in some of what she learned in other countries. Susie Goodman, an amazing story.
Speaker 1: Unluckily, I also have a few genes in my family, and both my mother studied art in Johannesburg and my dad was a wildlife photographer. So I suppose the apple didn't fall very far from the tree, but they certainly weren't involved in auctions.
Speaker 4: Okay. And at the time when you started studying history of art, did you think this is what I was going to do because there aren't many ways to make money with that degree.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're absolutely right, And now I actually also did take geography, just as a sideline because I thought maybe I better branch out a bit. But I was very lucky. I realized that actually there are many different facets to the art world, and auctioneering is actually something that lots of people don't talk about or don't know about, and particularly in this part of the world, the secretary market is a small market. So I was lucky. I did a post graduate degree that taught me about the magic of the auction world and how you can sell anything. And I did think that I would be a jewelry specialist, which is as much as I love jewelry, I like too many things now, so I think maybe I'm more of a generalist.
Speaker 4: Okay, So I mean the number of times that I've seen in auction, I haven't seen many. I do remember as a child watching someone on the side of a road just auctioning whatever it was that they had, and I found it fascinating. There's clearly something that you find I don't know if it's a vibe a feeling, but something mesmerizing about a good auction.
Speaker 1: There certainly is. And actually, just as a sideline story, I was asked by as you know, which is a training institute in this country to help be involved in training auctionais. And I had to say that I experienced the wide variety of auctioneers. So you have cattle auctioneers, car auctioneers, property auctioneers, art auctioneers, and I sometimes think that's quite fun because we talk very differently. So there was a wonderful Zimbarbie auctionnaire who sell tobacco, and he started before me, and he was going but I like that, and I was like, oh my goodness, and I had to come after him and go to two thousand, two thousand, two hundred, two thousand, five hundred. So it was quite amusing. But the thing that grabs me about an auction is is that it's the culmination of an amazing journey of finding artworks to sell on behalf of the seller, and obviously presenting them to the future buyer, and then working with a buyer and putting and placing them in a collection. But the bit about auctions that rarely rarely grab me is that you don't raally know what's going to happen on the night, because yes, you've got a value, yes you've got a reserve, yes you've got people interested, But if you have all of the ingredients and you've got two or three people who land up fighting for it. You can the numbers get bigger, and the excitement gets bigger, and the adrenaline gets drive faster, And I think that's the bit I just love that magic, is that the ultimate price is defined when the hammer falls. But I like that drama. I love the fact that you don't know who's going to be on the phone or who's going to be in the room. So for me, it's a it's an amazing privilege to be able to sell art this way.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's interesting. That's actually quite a few movies that, now that I think about it, have scenes involving auctions because of that inherent drama. It's it's actually, I imagine being part of it is far better than watching anyone trying to create a fictional account of it.
Speaker 1: It absolutely is. And I'm sure you realize that a few weeks ago we sold the painting for thirty one million rand, and I promise you could have heard not only a pin drop, but you could hear everyone inhaling as the price grew, and exhaling as an expert in bid and it was just it was you can't make it up. It's the most extraord it's the most extraordinary sensation. But also it is you know, it's full of it's like a performance, but it's not really a performance because it's real life. So I think that's that's the bit that it does capt you. It is evocative, So you're right. There are lots of movies that have very good looking people taking auctions, and there tends to be sort of a Thomas crom af Fair moment when something gets pinched off the wall. But luckily for us that doesn't happen too often, so it's you know, but it does. It does create the sort of magic of I suppose prestige and celebrities and numbers. But I often remind people that we auction things as just as much passion for a thousand round as we do from aly a million round. Million round gets a bit scary, but we do sell all varieties of pricing by auction.
Speaker 4: And I mean there is there is as much excitement when something that's relatively at relatively low cost is suddenly increasing in value as opposed to something you expect to go for a lot. I mean, in a way, something you expect to go for a thousand round going for two thousand it's a lot more exciting than something you expect to go from going for one too.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and actually the bit that Steven that sometimes is really humbling bit is that because we deal with the people who's selling, often we know the story about why someone's selling, and so you can see the person who's brought the work in for a valiation day and perhaps they're very desperate for some money, or they're trying to pay their university fees, or they're trying to put a deposit down in a house, and they've got this sort of that whole of works of art that they're hoping they can realize a little bit of money towards those dreams. And then those works start climbing and the share amazement when somebody they're getting a thousand round and they get two and a half thousand rand, or they're thinking something which we valued at five thousand round, suddenly people are fighting over it and we sell it for twenty five thousand round. Those moments are so incredible and are so joyful. There is also the sad side when someone is desperately needing it and then something doesn't sell, and that's hard because that also the reality of business. Not everything finds a home as much as we try to find homes. But it's that sort of emotion of you're not quite sure. We say it's this value, and then it goes for the right amount or what goes above it, and that moment is also quite exciting.
Speaker 4: Are there certain things that you that you find this happens to this sort of level of excitement than others? And I'm presuming in my own head, I'm thinking that this must happen to works of art where you get a much higher price, a much more exciting auction than almost anything else. I mean, yes, maybe they're fancy cars or elon musk s mug or something that I'm presuming it's art where you're more likely to have that happen.
Speaker 1: I think you're right, because there is you know, as a lot of people know, art is not a you know, it's not bread or milk or your necessities. It's an amazing privilege to have a piece of art owner. It gives you joy, It gives a different satisfaction to an essential necessity. So I think there's which comes with auctions. Is that an amazing feeling of I love it. I've fallen in love with it. I like it, I want to collect it, I need to own it. I would love to have it on my wall. So there's emotion in it that sometimes it's a little bit less. It's very different to maybe somebody who's trying to buy a card a second hand auction, because that's probably just a pure transactional fact. But the bit that I think the bit that is special about those moments in the auction world, you have stories, and an artwork keeps that story with it because if somebody, for example, bought it from the artists and has owned it in their collection for a while, and they knew the artists, and they follow on and say they've made it for a wedding or they made it for a birthday, those stories keep going with the picture as much as we can hopefully retell it. Or they're a wonderful story about who owned something or it was in the collection. As you know, you mentioned somebody like David Bowie. All of those things have stories that I bought something from a David Bowie's collection. What it encourages encourages evocative competitive bidding because you want a slice of it and that you don't get when you're doing secondhand cards.
Speaker 4: For sure, there is some artwork which is incredibly controversial. I can think of example, I spent as a as an e WN reporter a couple of days outside a gallery which there's the same name that you do very controversial artwork, and that I mean that must it must have come as a surprise to all involved. Then I think it did. But there must be times when you look at a piece of work and you think, sure there's a controversial story, or it's a controversial piece, or the person who created it, or maybe a previous owner is now controversial and actually, I don't know if I want to touch this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's I think that comes with I think that's a very good point, and I think that comes with the story of things. And I think the one thing that I've learned about the art world is that everybody, there's something for everybody, and there's different tastes for different people, and there are different genres for different subjects. If something has had a you know, for example, an artwork that's been damaged, on artwork that has been if you take actually which you reported on, if you take that artwork that we handle the stolen pioneers in a sense, not that could auction it because it belongs to the state. But the story behind that is so intriguing. I mean it is if it ever came up to auction, it would it would increase in value. I mean they say in the auction world they are aspects that you always put into too value, which is the collection that comes from how good a piece, what condition is, in what period it was painted. You know, with the wow factor, that work would have a wow factor, and it would it would cause a stir of excitement because it has such an intriguing story with it. You're right, not every story you want, not every story you can you necessary. Maybe you want to pass on on that sense, but you also have to realize that the artwork is still a wonderful artwork, whether you like it or not. Might not be your taste, but it might appeal to somebody else. They tend to I think that's what's quite nice about art. It tends to find the homes that needs to go to. But I do find the story intriguing. I mean when you when you meet somebody who inherited something or got it from the artist, or I mean the other day, because we sold the treat Chikof. There was another client who had a tree Chikov they sold and they bought it directly from the artist. And her husband died, so she phuned up Tritchikoff and said should I sell it? And he said absolutely not. You must wait until I'm really really dead. And you know, those kind of stories are quite fun, but they make it sort of I don't know, it's quite nice. If you had it on your wall, you could retell it so that. Maybe I like the auction world too, because it's about people. Somebody maybe art, somebody's going to own it, somebody will earn it. So I guess it's the cycle of life. Really.
Speaker 4: It's an astonishing comment by Tritchikov to say that, but I mean, I'm afraid to say probably correct, Yes it is. When you started, you actually went over season, you went to Christie's and their renowned auctioneers in the UK. Were there many I mean, I can't think of out the places really in South Africa that you could have learned art auctioneering. I mean, there aren't many options to sort of get into that business.
Speaker 1: No, it's a much smaller pool here. I was very lucky to go and work at Christie's, and I was very lucky to try. You have to go through an auctioneering course. I was a little bit cheeky because we went on the court and we were bidding, and we were learning how to breathe and to do the increments. And at Christie's they run the auction book, so where the auctioneer has the estimates and the reserves and the bids, they run it in code, so they use in case somebody stole the auctionaires book, they wouldn't be able to read the increments of the people's bids that have been left, so they use a sort of code, which is you have to learn and then you have to do a practice and now all of these auctioneers looking at you. And when I started auctioneering, there were only four women globally that were auctionaeers. So it was quite fun to break some of those barriers. But I was a little bitteeky because the auctionnaire who was sort of running that day said to me, I don't quite understand what you're saying. So I said, oh, which bit? He said, are you saying the bid is on the left or are you saying the bid is in the lift and so I thought, oh my goodness. So I said, no, I think maybe it's my act. So he said, oh, oh, oh, yes, perhaps, and I said, now, an auction entre, an international company, wouldn't it be good to have a South African accent. So I was a bit cheeky, but luckily I was able to do it, and it was the first auction I took. I remember standing in the rostrum and South Kensington was a sort of part of the Christisburg had King Street in South Kensington, and South Kensington had this wonderful atmosphere of selling house sale contents and silver and furniture, so it was quite There was quite a lot of lots, and they let me cut my teeth on a silver sale and I remember standing up and going, oh, my goodness, this is real money. Because until you get to that moment, which is the culmination between the buyer and the seller, it salt of his numbers. But suddenly the reality of like, oh, this is really a lot of money. But it was only fifty pounds, but still, I think the nerves and what I was doing was like oh, but the fun part about it is that you get your style, you get your flow, I talk fast, as you know, and so I often got the sales that have a lot of loss, so you had to get through three hundred lots. And they would say, seesue, you do it because you can talk quickly. But when we were training, and I'm sure other auctionaiers that maybe have experiences too, one of the people who are training I said, you know, sometimes in the middle of an auction, you can because you can be up there for two or three hours. They said, you know, sometimes your mind just wonders, and you can find yourself thinking, oh, my goodness, you know what's for dinner? And I remember thinking that's impossible because there's too many things between the increments and the clients and the telephone bids and the code. And then I suddenly one auction was standing there going oh, should we have chicken? Or maybe we should have beef. So you do find your mind is working fast, but it can wonder. But the tempo is important. So as I mentioned earlier, you know, cattle auctionaires have a different tempo. We do too. When you're selling something like wine, you definitely go faster than when you're selling you know, big tentridge or an erma Stern in the millions that you have to you have to send the room, and you have to use the style of bidding an increment that suit what you're selling.
Speaker 4: There's so much to it, all right. That was Susie Goodman, the executive director of Strauss and Co, sharing her expertise and experience in the world of selling art.
Speaker 2: Seven notes.
Speaker 4: You're listening to the money shows the best bids you Consumer Ninja Wendy Nola this week taking a dive into the hidden dangers of cell phone contracts and particularly what happens when your contract comes to an end and you haven't read the fine print and you don't actually do anything about it. You do have to actually look at that and be very very careful about what can happen.
Speaker 3: Okay, so they tooish, as you mentioned canceling, and that's one of the big problems because many people don't realize that the contracts don't actually automatically contract cancel. Rather, you have to still give thirty days of a month's notice for that to actually happen. But I'm talking about the scenario where people decide that they not go to cancel, and they're not going to you either, They're just going to let the contract carry on in a month to month basis, so they're getting the same deal, very similar in most cases historically, and then they don't have the commitment the strings. They can cancel it any time with thirty days notice and no penalties. Right, So that's the benefit of that. But what's happening is that people are finding sometimes many months later, they think they're still paying the same amount by debit order every month, and then they found out, as Farosa of Durban did, that actually the monthly subscription had gone up in her case fivefold I think if a maths is correct, from one hundred and sixty nine random month to around six hundred random months, right. And the point is she didn't know, she got no notification whatsoever.
Speaker 4: So I mean, okay, so you're paying one hundred and sixty nine random months is probably a dartis some are relatively cheap. Now the contract ends and then suddenly it goes up to six hundred round Now there can't be any economical financial justification for that. Well is she told.
Speaker 3: No, there's a justification, as they say, well, they have these very promotional discount offers and when the contract period to which that applies ends, then the contract if it rolls over month to a month, will revert to so called standard rates. Obviously, this is a strong arm tactic to get people to ask commit to another to your contract, because that's what the networks want. They want this commitment because it works financially for them. But in terms of this case, in for Rose's case, she didn't get any notification. And the point is that the Consumer Protection at compels companies which offer fixed term contracts such as cell phone contracts and gym contracts to contact them. It's very specific with than forty to eighty days before the end of that contract period and spell out the options and the implications of each one. So the idea being if you want to cancel, you must do it with you know, give us three days notice if you if it's going to roll over, this is what's going to happen. It's going to go up to six hundred renament and if you want to renew year the options well, predictably, the self industry is very good at the marketing of their new offers, but not so great on the detail of you know, the other options. And in this case, and this is where it got really interesting, empty ND said they did notify for Rosa and bearing in minders is a data only contract, but they send to an SMS, which they say, in their words, she was unable to access right So in other words, she didn't actually get any notification and hence the huge bill bill shock.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I do that with a provider. I have some card in an iPad for data, and I actually would wouldn't have the first clue of how to access the SMS. I don't know, I mean presume it receives them. I can't imagine why you would use it exactly.
Speaker 3: And I think, and I think the point for me is that this must happen in many, many, many cases. So when I took up the case with empty End, they put things right by crediting the amount of what substantial four and a half thousand rand to Forrosa's account, being the difference between her so called promotional one sixty nine a month and that six hundred random month, which had been charged four months before she realized it. And they said, we acknowledged this gap in communication and sincerely regret the inconvenience caused. We've engaged with Farrosa to explain that whatever whatever. But you know, as we say, it's it can't be alone case.
Speaker 4: Do we know how many other empty and arta contracts are the same awful surprise?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we'd love to know that, wouldn't we. But it's not the sort of information that gets shared with the media. They did say that notification processes for data only subscribers were being reviewed, as I said, to improve transparency. And then this is a global thing that happens these in promotion, these promotional low subscription fees, and then they jump up and they call it promo drop off. But I don't know how many people that actually are paying for these contracts know that term and the implication of it. And that's why we want to talk about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I suppose issues around transparency, right, and this is I mean back to the fine print in the contract. I mean, yes it's there, Yes, you should be able to understand it's actually, in real terms, not very transparent. I mean, what's the industry's track record on this kind of.
Speaker 3: Well, not good. I have to say. When my own Voticon contract was coming to an end about eight months ago, I did get an sumes from the network about that, but it was really shockingly vague. It said your contract will soon come to an end, any discounts will fall away. They didn't give me any detail on that, and when you know, no dates, nothing like that. So when I challenged them, I was told that they use generic messages to ensure we comply with their CPA notifications that are up for renewal, and that when you upgrade, they give you the details. But the point is, what about people who aren't upgrading, that are rolling over, that are going to get caught by a surprise hike because and the act is very specific. It says that the service provider in this case that software networks must well before the contracts end, notify people of any material changes should they choose not to cancel or commit to a new contract. So they really are paying a bit fast and loose with that requirement. And what I want to do is advice is warned people that you you know, if about that this can happen, and to be you know, if you don't want to have that huge increase act accordingly, but if it's if what happened to us that happened to you and you didn't get that notice. Specifically data contracts, because they say they you know, as they should have emailed you, but they're only saying to an sem is, if it's happened to you, you are in line for a discount, sorry, a refund, just as Farosa was. So so go and do those checks.
Speaker 4: I wonder sometimes also now as I get older, you know life hacks. They call it when you sign any kind of contract. And I've never done this, but it would make sense. If you're signing a cell phone contract for two years, actually put in your diary or electronic diary, which you know survives two years from now, that actually you know the month before this is what is going to happen, and therefore you need to take action and that should maybe get you around some of the trouble.
Speaker 3: Yes, very very good advice. And as is, you know that you put it in the month before because if you want to cancel, you you have to give them that thirty day notice otherwise you end up paying for another month that you really would prefer not to have.
Speaker 4: That was your consumer Ninja Wendy Nola. The often overlooked risks associated in cell phone contracts, The Best of The Money Show and seven two your shape shift to this week you Huntcots of the CEO of agri Esa. He reflected on his career a journey in is leadership philosophy in the agriculture sector, looking at what he did in Mozambique, what he did in the agricultural sector as a banker, and now of course leading agri essay.
Speaker 2: Now listen through truly on farming. My great grandfather was an Italian out of Italy and he was he was, I think the large farmer for us. And then on my mom's side, they grew up in Zambia, so they went to go and farm in Zambia and my father was also a farmer. So truly a farming community, a typical Afrikaans speaking Buddha farming community.
Speaker 4: So were you growing up on a farm yourself?
Speaker 2: Yes, I did, and I also farmed myself for seven years.
Speaker 4: Okay, I mean I started by talking about the passion that people have for farming. It seems to me to be something quite different to everything else. And I'm not sure why that is. I don't know if you have a kind of rational explanation for something that I think is is really not about rationality, It's about love and passion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it starts in a community. If I can recall my own life, you grow up in a farming community, not knowing anything else than farming, and you you kind of you live yourself into this dream of being a farmer one day. So I think it's something that is stimulated by being involved in farming from a very young age. And also I think it's like minded people being together in a community and just installing it into a little kit and into people. So that's the one thing. The other thing is I think that the love for nature and the love for what we do is not known. If I if I recall when I travel overseas and I meet, well, I meet a lot of farmers. It's different in South Africa. I think the passion we have, I think we are conservationists. We love nature. It's something it's so deeply embedded in us that and I think that's where that passion comes from.
Speaker 4: I often think, and in fact, my children have asked me, how is it possible for someone to be a doctor that looks after ill children? And I always say to them, well, you must have you must see children in the most awful way, but you must also watch them walk out of the hospital because you've cured them. As a farmer, you must watch crops grow, animals grow from nothing to you know, mighty stalks of maize or you know, very valuable beef and things like that. There must be something very rewarding in.
Speaker 2: That Stephen I could recall as a kid that my father would take me when they start after the first trains to plow, to walk behind the plow and look at the little birds, the eggots coming in and looking for a little wounds. I could remember him putting his hands into the soil and then literally it would he would touch the soil, and he would he would bring it to me and say, can you smell it. So so that reward is and I think it never goes away if I not farming. Now, if I travel and I see a little lamb, or I see, say, for instance, goats and little goats just just dropping around, I will stop and have a look and enjoy the moment. Thereof that reward is so deeply embedded with us. I think another thing is the enjoyment we have for nature. And so if if even if I'm in the city and it starts to rain and I can smell the rain, it brings so much memories and so much joy back to us, and I think that's the the reward that we live with if we are farmers.
Speaker 4: You did spend quite a lot of your career in banks, and I mean you were at Absay, you were at first Round in Mozambique, and you were in Mozambique at a very interesting time. That economy was beginning to grow, it was opening up. Our country was now changing and changing quite quickly. What was that like, I mean, I presume you were kind of helping to finance that expansion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, listen, I learned me and to be a corporate banker, just to realize that corporate banking mostam Big is a bit different than South Africa. It was just the start of I would say, the new new phase of mosam Big to day is totally different than what we had. I always refer back to to the gratitude I have for abs that they did send me to Africa and I had the opportunity to go to Africa. If if if I look back in my career, it's it was one of the best times for us as a family. It was one of the best times for me as an individual in banking. I've learned so much, and it's humble people, it's people with a different mindset, it's people with a different outlook in life, which enriched my life a lot. And then I think what humbled me the most is what they made of what they had, and they literally had nothing, and how they create something about out of something that is so small and South Africa would be insignificant. And I've learned that you work with what you have and you turn it into gold. And that's what the mosen Beacons told me. So I've listened my life of my heart that the mozen Beacon experience we had as a family living there was absolutely one of the most amazing experiences in my life.
Speaker 4: Were you doing a lot of sort of agricultural deals. I'm presuming there. I mean, that's one of the things that Mozenbiak really has to offer. I think most of the bananas I've eaten in the last five years come from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Listen, we did a lot of deals in and Mozambique. A lot of South African farmers popped over the border from Kumarti side and started to farm in Mozambique, and we funded whatever we could. I could remember even that crocodiles. And the guy who approached me to fund the crocodile project, he came and we lost his one arm and I before I couldn't even ask he said. He looked at me and said, no, no, dunstress, wasn't a crocodile. I lost it in an accident, so don't go there. So we lterally funded whatever we could. Fish was a big one. Bananas big. It's a big, big, big business and it's a it's a bicycle business where they sell to thirty ton trucks of bananas every day on bicycles. I think one of the largest egg farms I've seen, including South Africa was a Mozmbique. Broilers also a big, big business of Mozenbique. It's not that big in agriculture Africa, but big businesses in Mozambique doing doing agriculture. Sugarcane is also a big one refined sugar, so it was also one of our bigger clients in Mozambique.
Speaker 4: I'm presuming that you one of one of the reasons you did it, one of the reasons you were asked to do it was your farming background. Right, This kind of banking is I'm presuming different to your santin merger and acquisition.
Speaker 2: It was to develop farming. I think that we at that stage APPSO was still a novice and doing business in Africa. So SO farming was for us a big, big focus. And I think the reason why I got the job was because of my farming background and what we did with farming, especially in agro processing. Maybe just if I may a concept about Mozambique. A lot of people ask me why did I go to Mozambique because it was a very poor country. I think it was the fifth poorest on Earth at that stage, and why would you go with your family to Mozambique. Now, the reality was that a lot of my my counterparts went overseas to Australia and New Zealand and and we just felt we want to stay in Africa. We want to stay in South Africa. And what I did realize is that I don't understand Africa. Although we South Africans, we do not have that much knowledge about Africa. So I choose Africa. I choose to go to Africa, and I'm grateful for the opportunity because the Africans taught me. I think some valuable lessons which the Africans is only the Africans having those lessons, and so one experience in having an African mindset which we sometimes overlook and we don't give the credit to Africa for for their mindset with with what they have and what they what they create is absolutely beautiful. So a total turnaround in my own concept as an individual to underst stand Africa better. And my take was if I want to be creative in South Africa and contribute to the South African community, which I loved, I need to understand also the African concept. And today it's working. Today it's helping me a lot.
Speaker 4: It's so interesting that because I mean, you're right, a lot of people who have the opportunity went to other places. But I think a lot of people who who went into Africa from South Africa seem to have maybe had had a much happier experience in many different ways. You did then go and if I understand your your career too, directory you went from sort of banking to the Pork Producers Association. So you went from money in agriculture to representing an industry. It's a whole new set of skills. And I wondered how big a change that was. I mean, sure it's still farming, it's still your your passion, but it's a it's a different kind of thing. And maybe some political skills along the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe you missed. Seven years before that, I went from corporate to work for myself and I always say referred back to that. It was one of the most expensive experiences in my life where I created the most wealth. I came to a point where corporate just it felt like I was swallowed in by corporate. We literally started at four o'clock in the morning and we ended at eight, and I made a U turn and I resigned and I went with my three daughters and we went to go and live in Nature's Valley in the Western Cape and smaller place. And I just said to myself, I need to find life in a different way. And what a beautiful time. Because the investment in my family was a big I would say, yeah, it's an asset today. And I think that's what Africa taught me that our valuable community and specifically family is and the impact in your own life in carrying you in difficult times. Going from banking into representing the pork industry, I would say, it was one of the greatest leaps I had. I could remember when they phoned me, I said the following. Now, I say it was arrogant to my my thinking, I said, never my life, I work with farmers, but to work for a farmer, it's one of the most difficult jobs because they are so diverse in their thinking. And the next thing is pork in my life, picks. Never man, there's no chance I would be I would be able to do it. And then also thinking back into it, I was the CEO then and I started as the CEO. What a colorful experience. It is a humble industry, not talking that much, but what a what a fantastic industry technologically than the for ruthers in South Africa in an industry wise, if you have a look in the world, they are world leaders in biosecurity. And if I say, that's not what I'm saying, it's what the world is saying. So what a fantastic experience. I think what many people are missing is that, and I think that's what made me good while being with them. I never tend to be a politician. I never tend to take the political route. I always took the corporate rout and doing business. So we spoke about it yesterday one of my one of the guys in industry, and I said, one of the things that we lack an industry is we can't make a decision because we politically want to be correct. Sometimes you need to make a call and you need to stand for the call that you made. And I think what corporate taught me is to stand for those calls. And the pick industry allowed me to be there. So what a wonderful what a wonderful experience with the pick industry.
Speaker 4: We speak to Johann Cutter tonight is your shape shifter? The CEO at Agria's.
Speaker 3: A the Money Show shape shifter.
Speaker 4: Is jo Hannekotsas, the CEO at Agriessay, is your shape shifter? This evening your hand. I do need to ask you a question or two about your current job, right And I've often wondered about managing the politics of farming because I think I think for a lot of people who are not farmers, they're probably two things that they think about when it comes to this. The one is food prices and the other is questions and arguments around land and land in South Africa, is, as you know better than I historically, is the cause of a lot of pain or what happened really is the cause of a lot of pain. You must have moments when people are really very angry, very emotional, and with good reason. How do you deal with those moments?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do, I must be honest. I think sometimes it's a bit lonely and we it comes and goes, so it's a It's not that it's every day, but then you get into a season where there's a lot of focus, specifically on land, which is very emotional in South Africa. I think the way to deal with it, My way with dealing with it is I wake up quite early in the morning and I really put myself into a different space where I just think through it. And you always come back to a point where you say it's not about you. So I believe sometimes we are very self centered when we deal with this, when people are attacking you as a person, and I think my way of getting out of it is to not be self centered and to focus on what needs to happen in South Africa and to have a clear mind regarding this. And if I may that, I don't if I take it personal I normally go back, and I think the one weapon that I have is forgiveness, and even if I'm in the wrong or somebody else saying the wrong, is just to say, God forgive them, and I forgive them. And I'd helped me a lot as an individual, because that he is stuff. And then you get to the point where where you work and you can work through somebody else else's mind and kind of understand their minds and the way they think, and kind of put yourself into their stance, and I think out of that a lot of clarity comes comes with that, a lot of wisdom to just start to deal with the situation.
Speaker 4: I sometimes, I mean, I look at this and as I think you might know, I followed this as a sort of political reporter and with what I do now, and one of the things I find really difficult, especially at the moment, is that so many people say things that are not true, and they're saying that they're doing that deliberately. I mean, that must be infuriating for.
Speaker 2: You, Stephen. I went to America and what an eye opener. And the first night I felt like batters and I felt like somebody in a in a boxing game, and I just they just got me out and I was I was bruised, and I sat down and I went through my mind through this whole concept. But what happened this day and what came to mind is people spoke about agriculture out of a fear and out of what possibly might go wrong, but they did not testify of who we are. And what came to mind is that I can't change the world itself, and I think social media is good but also evil in this sense. But what I can do is I can testify about the goodness of what I experienced through the farmers that we have in agriculture. And what started to happen is that testimony is so true that overpowers the lie. And I think what we what we tend to do with agriculture specifically, an agree essay is to talk about the testimonies of farmers. And sometimes it's tough, it's hard, but you can enough pushed back into that space. The difficult one is that we need to be the voice of reason, and that voice of reason is not a strong voice being radical and to the left or to the right, but it's always middle ground, and so you can't participate and you can't push back in social media when you have this harsh discussions, and that's sometimes stuff. But we've learned that the testimony of a farmer, there's no greater voice, and there's no stronger voice regarding certain situations that we are in, and we just need to advocate that a little bit more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we've we've got thirty seconds left, I'm afraid. But everyone talks about how the world is changing, and every time I hear the phrase AI and artificial intelligence want to scream, is it changing as quickly in farming as it seems to be changing in other places?
Speaker 2: It does? It does? We utilize it a lot. I think position farming is a big, big, big, big play for us. We have world loss farms participating on world loss plays forms. An AI does play a major role into this. I think quality wise, product productivity is jacked up by AI. So there's a lot of off take on AI. Still a lot to do, still a far away to go. But as South African farmers, we well get it and well well I would say, well equipped with AI and we do understand the concept. Often we utilize it.
Speaker 4: It was your Handkotsa talking about his career journey through the agriculture sector from his roots as a farmer, becoming an agricultural banker and now leading the organization that helps farmers in South Africa, a CEO of agri Essay you all listening to the Money shows, the best bits you've been with, the best bits of the Money Ship. Digest of some of the best thoughts, interviews and insights from the show this week. If you'd like to em more, you can go to our website or your podcast app and search for The Money Ship. We'll be back again on Monday. Have a good have a safe weekend.