Speaker 1: Struggle to political analysis.
Speaker 2: That's right. Welcome back at seventeen minutes past ten writer on the Aubri Masango show.
Speaker 1: My name is Komotomdisa.
Speaker 2: I'm Infra brah Ups who's taking a much needed rest and it's time now for our political analysis feature. And of course we can't ignore the conversation of the weekend, the conversation of the day, and I can tell you it is going to be the story of the week.
Speaker 1: And there's something really major happens.
Speaker 2: And that is that explosive press briefing from the occasion in Police Commissioner Da Mukuana z the General Dandam Muquanazi there dropping bombs and.
Speaker 1: It I mean, I've been calling it the chronicles.
Speaker 2: Of South Africa because it's bomb off, the bomb of the bomb. And when that press that happened yesterday, I don't know about you, but with me, I was watching and I was thinking South Africans must feel. So it must be a mixed feeling to know that all the fears that many of us have had and the speculations that many of us have had about what may or may not be happening in this country around drug hotels and how it could only be that you know, powerful people are involved, because what do you mean we're not fighting drugs with the capacity that we have here in this country. So Africans, I've been saying, I'm sure powerful people are involved. I'm sure there's big people behind this. And whether or not that's true, the fact that it's coming from a senior police officer is mind blowing. It's insane because this is a man who's at the forefront of crime prevention in his province and a big player in this country when it comes to the combating of crime and the fact that he's making these claims and allegations mind boggling. I tell you, I found myself with my draw on the ground because I just thought, wow, and as expected, there's been development after development after development, and here top Us makes sense of it all is political analyst Shumelo Abaout joining us live now on the show. Shumelo, thank you so much for joining us this evening. Welcome to the open Masamachell.
Speaker 3: Good living in Homoto and toward the listeners, and thank you very much for having me this evening.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm tempted to say to ask first, well, what were your thoughts on the press briefing, and I'm sure you've been asked this so many times as a political analyst, but let's just start there.
Speaker 1: Your thoughts.
Speaker 3: Well, it was very shocking and it left me astonished, to say the least, because I think, not to say that it's unprecedented, but I think it's really unexpected that someone whom we had with high regard, is a minister in terms of Kolo, is implicated in something that is so serious. And I think, secondly, General Quanas, these revelations yesterday actually expose the decay, the institutional decay that is generic in South Africa's public sector, not only in steps but generally, because I think that he alluded to the fact that there are some members of the judiciary as well as some law enforcement agencies within the country who are involved in this entire syndicate that he was trying to highlight. They was trying to paint a picture of yesterday. So I think generally we've been seeing these things happening, but we never really knew what the genesis or what the cracks of everything is. So I think what he exposed yesterday is the decay not only in scepts, but it was just a sample of what is happening generally across institutions in our public sector in South Africa and politically.
Speaker 2: What can we make of this move vime qulanity in lights of him having been shortlisted or you know, been one of the candidates to take over as Hawk's head and then you know that post was withdrawn since on Kunu the minister was drawing that that post. I mean, we know Thatazi and Severe were among the short listed names and you know now that post is gone. But also has been a big favorite among many. Yes, he's been criticized for his policing style by some, but I think he's been a favorite by by most. And now this happens, I mean it almost it puts us all in a state of confusion about where's he placed now?
Speaker 1: Does he stay a favorites of the people.
Speaker 3: Well, honestly speaking, what I've been observing from the public after yesterday's press briefing is that the public is rallying behind general because you must remember that ordinary South Africans are beginning to lose confidence in South African police service at a local level, at a lower level of government, because you will find that some people complain about them reporting cases of murder, cases of robberies, or cases of abuse for that matter, be it domestically or otherwise, and them actually not getting the necessary attention that they need. I mean, the disappearance of darkness is something that would expect at a lower level of this institution, and it's been happening for a very long time, by the way, So to hear that these things have been happening at a national level and with higher ranking political officials and office bearers was actually very shocking. And obviously it does have political linkages to it, because we do know that, for instance, the genesis of this whole thing was in regards to the fit of the instituting of the political killing tork killing caved in at the Roguanadet mensions, which by the way, is the province with the most political killings and murders in this country. So it was obviously linked to that and him actually deploying members of that tossed into Johannesburg and unraveling that happened subsequent to that. So obviously, as he had mentioned yesterday, that there are a lot of political figures, all big shots, that have been involved in this entire operation, and that I've been trying to meddle and also ensure that they do not get caught, because as he had mentioned it yesterday that what what he themained, what actually made him to come out about this entire thing is the fact that the Deputy National Commissioner of Police, who is Shatrak Shadrack Silia, had actually acted at the discretion of the Minister in disbanding this trust team that was investigating political killing, which actually goes to show that there are political interests and in middling that is involved in this entire thing. And it also takes me back. I'll actually take you back to the time when a similar thing happened whereby Jack you Ci Lady, who was then National Commissioner of Police in the two thousands, was arrested and convicted, actually sentenced in prison for a similar case whereby he was fraternizing with drug lords and people who were riding. So this is nothing that is very unprecedented. It's something that has happened before. And I actually drew a parallel between what happened late and what is happening now, which means that certain there are remnants of certain things or linkages of politicians as well as people in our law enforcement agencies, which actually brings our our country security into question because once the country dometic security or even defense is being tampered with by politicians, they put us at risk of being vulnerable to those who are criminals.
Speaker 2: I mean, talk me through the responses politically that have come through, you know to what Quality had to say. Of course, the NC could not ignore this, the you know, questions about whether any this matter.
Speaker 1: Needs to go to the NEEC. We saw.
Speaker 2: I don't know the responses I've been hearing from ANC members, from the NCUTH League, from from the Secretary General of the NC figure in Ballula. It sounds as though the NC is closing ranks, but they also are saying that there must be some sort of an investigation into sens on Colonel.
Speaker 3: Now, one thing that you should note about the ANC is that they will always seek to protect their own. I mean, I was not surprised when I heard Colin Malatti's the remarks yesterday after the press briefing, which did not really have any background off by the way, saying that people should be arrested and time for people being pop stars is over. You could actually sense that he did not have an idea of what he was talking about. You were just speaking out of protecting someone for something that doesn't even have an idea of. So I think the caliber of people that have been that is something that would expect from the ANC in terms of them protecting such elements or criminal elements. We saw it with in the Swiftites administration rather when they were protecting to you comes to my Emparliament in regards to the whole guy and Thesaga, we saw them actually doing with the President Rama course in regards to Pala Pala, and we even see the President actually shielding those that are supporting him within the ANC, people such as were the Mandasha who have by the way, been implicated in the State capture report, people like Malusiki Gaba, David Matlubo and the list is endless. So it's not something that is unprecedented and it didn't come as a surprise that people that members or leaders of the ANC would come out in defense of something like this. And I think that for a change in South Africa, we just need the Lord to take its course and we really need to really need law enforcement agencies like the NPA to not allow themselves to be captured by politicians, and also for politicians to use these institutions as weapons against one another, because that is what is currently at play now, and that also puts the legitimacy off the state in question if politicians are being enabled to use these institutions like SAPs and the NPA as bridge co weapons against one another, because that's what we're being thing unfolding in the ANC, that those that are part of a certain cohort are safe and then those that are actually actually have a dissenting due to the President or certain people in the ANC adulthood of which there's an inconsistency in that. And you cannot have a country whereby institutions that are supposed to uphold democrat or democratic order are being used as politic weapons to fight one another.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Open up the line zero double one double a three oh seven two zero double one double a three oh seven O two. That's the number two call to make your contributions. I mean, how are you feeling about the reaction by the ANC, you know, and Parliament that we saw today reacting to that groundbreaking explosive press briefing, Ye General and Quanazi. If you'd rather send us a WhatsApp. It's on zero seven two seven O two one seven o two. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on that, you know, I want to f I've been thinking, Melo that now that we are seeing the ANC at pains to almost show to rebrand, you know, and present an anti corruption posture, could this be the opportunity that they need, you know, to do something or is some send some too senior a member and too senior a person in the party for him to almost become the example of what the ANC can do in this fight against corruption.
Speaker 3: Look, Homoto, I don't see the a n C actually acting. I'll speak about the ANC. So speaking about the ANC and not the president, but the A and C. Generally. Remember in the A n C, the National Executive Committee, which is the NEC, is the highest making decision body, and there's so much power that is in the NEC, and that even the President does not act outside of directors that are given to him by the NEC, not any other official. By the way, So like I mentioned before that the ANC is always is known for protecting its own deployees that are in government and those that are found that are alleged of wrongdoing in any form within government or even though that are not in government, within the A and C. So I've been actually saying this that the AENC is actually suffering the same state as all its counterpart in neighboring countries and other of What I mean by that is that it's suffering the same state as all other liberation movements in neighboring countries, do VANAPF in Zimbabwe and for Limo in Mogandigue, you name them, in that they do not want to they fail to actually deal with certain things that are negatively impacting them. And in South Africa, I think we've seen how the public has actually reacted to how the ANC has been behaving over the years and that they've been declining of the election of the election. So in so far as this is called, I really don't see. I really don't think that they will act punitively against terms of Tony because coming, like I mentioned, is regarded as someone of statue in the ANC. Like I said, even as Eli Aficans, they didn't expect such from him. Yes, there are the investigations that are going to be conducting. There's not just there's so much evidence. But the ANC, like I said, is always known for protecting its own even though the magnitude of the wrongdoing that the person is implicated in is so huge, like we find now we saw it like I mentioned with Pala Pala, and even with the VPS scandal with people like tim to seeing Ali and whom they're president, by the way, did not act punitively on but chose to move to another ministry, which also was a sign of the A and C contradicting itself in its renewal project. I think the only person that we've seen actually being dealt with in the A and C who was implicated in corruption and all manner of wrongdoings was as Maacha Shule, who eventually got expelled in the party, which goes to show that if you get actually read into the dynamics of the ANC, you will know that as Maacha Schuler was an anti pieces of president I'm a port of Way who was still in the ALC. So it goes back to what I said that within the ANC, these institutions are being used as weapons to fight people that have dissent in views with one another, which actually draws on what does an inconsistency as well as their not being coherent with their renewal program.
Speaker 2: So then, what should South Africans make of the following quote from Figel.
Speaker 1: And Baluda the SG.
Speaker 2: He says, the ANC will not defend anywhere wrongdoing. We'll get to the bottom of this and all our ministers in government must be subjected to process of government in terms of good governance, either in Chapter nine institutions or even in Parliament. They must account should they be in the wrong. We will not hesitate to take action in that regard or call for our President to act on them. So in this particular instance, we follow the rule of law. What should we make of that? That sounds pretty decisive, It sounds strong. It says we're not going to protect Kuno or anyone else.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's not the first time that we're hearing such remarks from the Secretary General in so far as a matter of this nature is concerned. When Jim Simulana was being implicated in the VPS scandal, he made similar remarks. When kumbut And Chabeni was also being implicated in issues of corruption when she was still a municipalt manager in liim Borbo, he still made the same remarks, but we did not see any action there. Are many other people within the ANC that has been implicated in wrongdoing and the same question has been posed. He still gives similar answers, but no action has been taken. I mean, I think the beginning of the year they alluded to the fact that there will be a committee of some sort that will be instituted within the Essuy's office to deal with some of the state capture issues. I mean, the report is there, the report is there, Why not actually deal with these people and investigate further or actually actually recommendations that we're given by the State Capture report. So it just goes to show that there's no intention in so far as dealing with the wrongdoing in the A and C is concerned. The issue that the ANC has is that it's very polarized and people are using institutions to deal with one another instead of being intentional and looking at things with an objective eye.
Speaker 2: We're speaking to political analysts Ashuma Lobaba on that explosive press briefing by the General and Ganumqnaz in case it ends really interesting times that we're living in South Africa, and I suppose now the story is what next, which is going to be the second part of our of our conversation. I want to invite you to make your contributions. I see some of your WhatsApps. There someone here saying, did I hear right? You actually take the words of the SG series.
Speaker 1: I mean he's saying them.
Speaker 2: You know, he's saying them, and I think all we can do is listen and wait and see. But are you skeptical that the ANC will take any action against them who as a senior member of the party or any other parliamentarians. I mean we heard him Quanaze saying that they are parliamentarians who are involved in this drug syndicate. And you know, I think he's got the records and he's got the names, and that's why the President has promised to get to the bottom of it when he comes back.
Speaker 1: I get in touch with us. I want to hear from you, and.
Speaker 2: I want to encourage you to call when we still have time, and not towards the end of the show, when we've got five minutes of What often happens on the show is that people wait until five two and then there's eight callers and some of you don't get through. So please make your contributions heard when there is still time, the number is zero double one double eight three oh seven oh two zero double one double eight three seven two. Do you take what Figula says seriously? Do you think the ANC will be dealing with sens On decisively or is he just too senior a member for anything to actually happen to him? And the outcry that we're seeing now from the parliament and opposition parties, what do you make of that? One double a three seven two. Shumelo Aba is our guest on the show this evening and he is a political analyst helping us make sense of this particular story tonight and the direction really that I want us to take the conversation in now Humeto, is the President Posson or actually, before we go there, Shimelo, let's highlight the fact that the DA now has written to the National Assembly and they want the Speaker Togot Diza to have an urgent debate in Parliament on the corruption allegations within the National Police Service. I mean, what would a debate like that look like? It would be base on allegations that have been made by a commissioner and case it in surely that that's not how things would work.
Speaker 3: Well, this is a matter of national interest Coromoto in that it also puts our national security at risk. I actually had an interview in another platform earlier on where I said that the President has doesn't have a good track record in terms of acting punitively against people that are implicated and wrongdoing. Like I mentioned that with Timby Simelani, didn't act with any punity, didn't act punitively with Timmy Simelani, even with a lot more others within the agency such as David Masbo, Mada, et cetera. And By. However, with this one, I believe that it's a different case in that it compromises our security as a country because these are very serious allegations and general quanas. It seems to have a lot of substantive evidence that is backing everything that you allited to. Yesdy, I do be believe that there is an urgent intervention that needs to be taken by the President and by Parliament in order to have a debate, because we've had similar instances before when urgent matter has been brought to the fall publicly and then Parliament convenience to have an urgent debate. I did actually see that the Security and Peace Cluster Portfolio Cluster in Parliament today did have the briefing whereby Ian Cameron was the Portfolio Committeeture of Police and also made some dining allegations in regards to this whole revelation of commission and tum qualities. So I do believe that this is a matter that needs to be treated with urgency in that it puts it puts it implicates our security at our nest and security at risk. And there are also other people's lives actually that may be involved, may may be lost for a lack of the belt term in this country, because we do know that in South Africa if you are also blower, you're risk losing your life. You saw with the late and Pormofole who was an ordered in ecolin Unity who subsequently lost his life after acting against the corruption that probing the corruption that is happening in that municipality. So in South Africa, Finion, we're so blower or being someone that actually cracks the work against any wrongdoing means that you are putting your life at risk. And I think that's a phenomenon that needs to come to an end and the President and others that are in power need to act punitively and ensuring that people who are found or implicated in such cases must be must face the might of the law, and you must learn to crack the work on these people, irrespective of whether or not that in instection in the aenc or whether or not they are supporting him in one way or the other pact. Everyone is equal to the law and they should act accordingly. So I do believe that this is an urgent matter and Parliament as well as the President, to be specific, should ponder on it carefully and also act accordingly, pending all the investigations that are yet to be brought to the fore.
Speaker 2: I found it interesting and maybe even a little impressive that the President steps aside from his work work at the Brick Summit in Rio de Janeiro and he responds to these allegations that were made in that press briefing in a statement, he says, this is a matter of grave national security concern that's receiving the highest priority attention. It is vital that the integrity of the country's security services is safeguarded.
Speaker 1: And the rule of law is affirmed.
Speaker 2: He then says, or the statement then says President Ramapossa will outline the actions to be taken on this matter on his return from the Bricks Summit. So I mean I got the sense that, oh, okay, he's committing to doing something about it.
Speaker 1: But I think the second part of that is what can he actually do.
Speaker 3: I mean, he is the president and at the end of the day, all the power in so far as cases of this nature concern raised on him. Yes, there are law enforcement agencies, but as the president, you are supposed to be leading the charge and ensuring that people within your cabinet or within your cabinet in particular mysticism on Trinity is alleged to us to be involved in this whole ordeal. Is he should be the one who is taking the charge and should be the one who is actually ensuring that the necessary steps and measures are taken in ensuring that the work is cracked on people that are found on the wrong side of the law, of which in this case there is clearly a foul play in that a task team, which he as the president, instituted in twenty eighteen after coming into office, is being disbanded without any i won't say any progress, but without its work being done. So it should be a matter of great concern to him because he was the one who was at the forefront of combating political crimes and political violence, which I believe led to us being here. Like I mentioned earlier on, so the President should be able to take the charge and also being sued that the law takes its course and not in peed on these law enforcement agencies, because we've seen a lot of meddling like I mentioned, of politicians in law enforcement agencies, and that also makes us as citizens to question the independence of these churchline institutions to be specific, such as the NPA, even the Hawks and SAPs. Like I said that in the moment, the danger of all of this if we as South Africans question the legitimates and the independence of these institutions is that it puts the legitimacy off the state, and it puts the ciminity of the states in question, and also makes the state very fragile in that if you don't have security as citizens, then where are we to go? Because if our security is exposed and compromised like this, they didn't mean that as citizens we are not states at all. So the president should ensure that the number one citizens of the country actually leave the charge in ensuring that people are safe and that these institutions rew enforcement agencies play their role in ensuring that no one should actually get away with murder or get away with wrong doing in the manna and how Commission Cornery has alluded.
Speaker 2: To, all right, I'm taking your calls and zero double one, double a three or several two. We're speaking to political un lest who's helping us make sense of the press briefing by a case and police Commissioner danam Kanaz, as well as the president's response. And really the question is what next. Let's go to Akana. You're in Burrier and you want to comment on m. Kanazi's claims, grivening, go ahead, Hello of them?
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm very well, thank you, thank you for calling O'Connor.
Speaker 4: Oh I thank you very much for taking that corner as well.
Speaker 5: Actually I wanted my cake is on this guy.
Speaker 1: Lick yeah, Colin malogic.
Speaker 3: President.
Speaker 4: Yes, the statement that made against Quanazi, he said that guy in Kanas is actressing the media and acting like a pop stars something like that. Yes, yes, and then what what I saw to that guy, Look, Juanna's is not a politician. First of all, right, and then that guy, uh, he's speaking from a political point of view, so which means those are two totally different things. And I'd like the fact that Quana doesn't well an opinions, just came with the issues and the fact and the evidence way, so I know all those that the agency that will defend those guys that are implicated involved in this corrupt and especially in that department, because actually in that department, it's all implication after implications, implications after implication. So I like that THEA came up with these issues and bring them to the public so that we all know and those are not opinions, those are the pairts. So the guys from the NC don't protect themselves amongst themselves and try to debrize the work of Quanas and try to make him a politician, of which it's not, because it is just a public seving. We're serving us as the client of country, because we are the cities.
Speaker 2: No, I hear you, I hear you, eor And do you think the ANC will do anything to get to the bottom of these claims?
Speaker 5: I really, I don't have a not as should I don't have a hope.
Speaker 4: I don't think so, because there are so many cases, including yours, Macula, a high, highly profile case, the case of Babich who was wosted.
Speaker 5: More what have they just.
Speaker 4: It's the long long story of the law that an she's gonna do and it's gonna defend itself. I don't think the ANC is gonna do anything against this allegation.
Speaker 1: Yeah O'Connor from Berria, thank you so much for your call. We appreciation this.
Speaker 5: Oh, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I suppose you know, Simelo, that's really the sense that many people have.
Speaker 2: It's the fact that the ANC serves itself and it's people only, and and and what they try and to pick to be a party for the people is.
Speaker 1: Just on paper.
Speaker 3: No, honestly, Homoto, because like I mentioned, I think the ANC has failed to act against anything that seeks to tamper with its integrity as well or taint its integrity as well as to moral because if you are a party that speaks, that speaks to that speaks for the people, and seek to represent those that are downtrodden and marginalized and society, you are supposed to actually defend yourself again anything that is implicating you and wrongdoing. But I think, like I mentioned, previously that the a INC is just suffering the same faith as all its counterparts in neighboring countries like XANOPF as well as for a limo who actually self distract and behave in a manner that is unbecoming and a manner that is unethical in society. So I think that that's the what the AENC is currently, that's the faith that the AENC is currently suffering, and that's the direction that it's heading too now in that it does not really care about smorral compass and it does it seems not to care about protecting its integrity because like I mentioned to you, majority of the people that are implicated in the Zonder Commission are people who are A and CD prois in government and people who are have occupied A and C leadership positions before. And like I also mentioned, I think the last time we had a high profile politician being arrested and being convicted was with Jqcleby who was the then National Commissioner of Police in two thousand and I think in two thousand and four until two thousand and seven when he was actually arrested for having received bribes from a drug lord. So it just goes to show that right now, the caliber of leaders it actually makes us quit the current instances that we've been seeing recent years, makes us to question the caliber of leaders in their integrity within the ancs to whether are they really intentional about this renew or that they've been preaching for almost ten years now since President came into office, or is it just a smoke screen to make us believe that they just want to a smoke screen to make us believe that they are intentional about cleansing themselves an organization. But clearly for me, it's just a lip service which they are using to make people believe that they are intentional, whereas they are tons and tons of corruption cases and fraud cases that are clouding members within the organization. So the issue of sense of too currently or the cases generally within the A ANDC, I believe that they should be they should just let the law take its course. I think that whether the A ANDC decides to handle them in a different way or protect its own people, but the law enforcement agencies should actually take their should actually take their play their role now in ensuring that all of these people are convicted and those that need to be prosecuted further, are prosecuted further without any fear and without any impediments from politicians.
Speaker 2: What can we make of the different responses from the different people in that are, you know, from the ANC? I mean, I'm reading here what Badula said, which basically says, you know, people must be held accountable. But then Colin Malachi says, but this person should not be a pop star, almost villainizing quanity, you know, And it almost seems as though, after this press briefing yesterday and ANDC officials were in different places and they were called to react or ask these questions.
Speaker 1: They had to say something, but their views on this are so different, you know.
Speaker 2: The one wing almost seems to create the impression that they want accountability, but the other is there again villainizing a person that.
Speaker 1: Is essentially what's not blower?
Speaker 2: I mean, isn't that telling about the ANC's posture towards people that come out and speak about corruption, especially when it's.
Speaker 1: Their own.
Speaker 3: I think, like I said, it's just putting their integrity in question as an organization, because in such instances as an organization, you're supposed to speak in one voice. If you're an organization, that teaks to protect its image. In so far as corruption and wrongdoing is concerned, everyone is supposed to speak in one voice. In that you're supposed to speak in. Your posture is supposed to be that of combating wrongdoing as well as ensuring that people are Heal's accountable. But like I said, Collin Malat, you was speaking something else, something that didn't even have an idea of, by the way, yesterday and then figuring in Baalula, like I mentioned that he was just the remark that he's been making are not different. There's nothing that he actually means intentionally. I think it's just the lip service just to get journalists of the of of his case and all of that. So there's no there's not really an intention to deal with the wrongdoing that they that ministerstmo discounting system right now. And I really do not believe that the ANC will be intentional in so far as dealing with this matter optimally is concerned, because like I mentioned, for instance, they did it with Pala Pala with a protected peris and drama pasta, and what happened subsequently after that is that we saw the former speaker being a race after the pa Pala issue was being voted for in parliament. We saw her being probed for some corruption charges for some corruption and as well as fraud that she was implicated. And so it just goes back to what I said that his institutions, as well as people people that are found of being founded from doing are now being used against them. Should they have a dissenting view against the president or against those that are close to the president. Have the president's here, which is something that is very unfortunate and something that speaks to the verse that contradicts the very same integrity as well as morals that they seek to uphold as an organization.
Speaker 2: So of the WhatsApps, here's someone here saying, I can tell you for sure, Commoso, that neither the ends you nor the President will act on Minister to mark my words, if anything at all. Presidents might just shift him to another ministry, as he did with Similiani. Simelo just said that on the other hand, he might actually suspend or do more m chanizing for his whistle blowing, breaking a protocol by going public with his allegations. And I think many people are looking to see what the President's response will be. He has promised now to respond. So we're all looking out there to see what exactly he will do and if he will make any major announcements as he returns from the Bricks Leader summit in Brazil. All right, let's take a call from anonymous that you are in Johannesburg. Anonymous, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: For your call. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Helloel were you.
Speaker 1: I'm very well. I hope you will too.
Speaker 5: Please go ahead, yes, man, I just want to default your sorry with your gun to do there about comparing the ANC with ZANAPF and different nimo, mm hmm. It goes to me the ANC is like a more democratic party whereby they took their things. Okay, if they are something like, for example, now this guy, the general I mean took out I mean the secness of the elect for example of the minister out into the public, which is good for democrats as well, but in for example, in Zimbabwe, you can't do those things and authority is so for me to compare those two. You remember zan is a minister party and the ANC is a political party. They do that, they do they think the democrat even though they're not I mean real hundred percent like people are saying they will always support their Pharoh, guys, last look, the president I mean dismissed this minister and the d guys they are supporting their guy as well. So that's part of politics. But at the end of the day, to compare the two, like, I don't think I mean they really say anonymous.
Speaker 1: I'll it's a familar to respond to you.
Speaker 2: But don't you think that the the terror is the distraction of the ANC through corruption and how they go about a corruption right now, there's really clear similarities to those of as an APF entry a little more. I think that's what Femala is trying to say.
Speaker 5: No, if you look at corruption in politics and my sisters, everywhere you hear the trump is whoever put in So I mean, for example, in the ANC, we don't ideas the corruption is there, but the end of the day, they don't deny its like for now, okay, you hear this gre saying no, guys, if you never discorrupt, I mean, it is posible for himself. So in other ways, the NC they said they were trying to rebuild the party, so you'll see when the present comes. With the way he talked in Brazil there, I mean from his voice, so as can with and besides being forced by the citizen of this Ranto's current with an at that will see many decisions country women to say that they're with I mean a good president anonymous.
Speaker 1: Do you believe him? Do you believe Balula?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I believe that is one of the smartest guy men politics manly. I mean they call him matas whatever, it's fine, but I mean when he talks like this, you see, for example, politically they are all left to save their careers because if if you I mean support we know the minister, well support him in there. But inden of the day, if if it's true that I mean involved in those those things, I mean, you might be said, aside, what do.
Speaker 2: You make What do you make of all the ANC officials or ANC members people leaders that have been linked and have been highlighted in the State Capture Commission of Inquiry that implicated an act of corruption that still remain members of the n C and how the ns we've seen previously the lip service.
Speaker 1: But no real action. What you make of that?
Speaker 5: No? The thing is I mean, like I said that, I mean that is part of the many politics like for example, if there's some dill say that. I mean the general is not a politician. I mean that that is not a lie. You say the generality, I mean public work, all public worth. They I mean their voter systems, so we ever vote, I mean, is it is he I mean involved in politics.
Speaker 2: So so what I'm asking is, why do you believe that in Bula will do anything about it and the NC will do anything about it? If we've seen previously where the NC has not done in fact, they've protected their own, why don't you just say why don't you just say, I'm I'm comfortable with the fact that they protect their own, not that I believe they will do anything about it.
Speaker 5: No, this time around there to do something well, for example, like the other guy, the other guys in the GNU, for example the DA. Yeah they even this, I mean calling the present trick against there's two previous ministers. Yes, so if so, it's the ncas again that is the arrogance I mean to the to the people.
Speaker 2: All right, anonymous from Chinesburg there, I think you know, I understand with people, especially people that have experienced either design per for freely Moore and they feel that, oh, South Africa is still better.
Speaker 1: But don't.
Speaker 2: It's not good enough, is it. There's still stock similarities, which is what you're highlighting.
Speaker 3: Well, the most common thing between the reason why I threw a parallel between Friendly Moore and a pear from the ANC is like I mentioned initially that there are all liberation movements in Africa. Yes, the ANC is more democratic than the two liberation movements in Zimbabwe as well as more than big in that I actually made this illusion last year where I said that one thing that we can dener we can never announce the A and C on is upholding democratic principles within their organization and the country as well, whereby we have free and faye legs and people can contest each other without any repressive measures. However, when it comes to ensuring that we enhance the fragility of our state in that we have effective institutions that are not politicized and that where politicians don't impeed on institutions that are supposed to uphold democracy in South Africa, I think that's where the commonalities between the A and C and the other liberation movements are. Because if you go to Zimbabwe, if you go to Mozambi, you will find even other countries within the continent. For instance, in Uganda, way president has been in power for more than thirty years, you will find similarities whereby institutions that are supposed to uphold democracy or law enforcement institutions are now being politicized and are also used to suppress those that those that have dissenting you to the president all those that are in power. So that is what our currenty thing in South Africa. I'm growing more and more now where by institutions that are supposed to uphold democracy, like for instance, the NPA, the South African Police Services. Fortunately the sa NTF is not at that level yet, but we are seeing growing symptoms that are similar to these countries that have that relate by formal liberation movements also growing in South Africa in the sense that our ordinary South Africans as well as citizens generally are beginning to lose confidence now in the very same institutions that are supposed to protect us. For instance, Once a law enforcement agency is being used to protect politicians, then that means that our security is a country and also public trust agains these institutions continue to grow, then it means that the illgitimacy is something that will follow which will then ultimately lead to us becoming a failed state. I always make the argument that South Africa is not a failed state yet in that there is the form of some form of democracy and privileges that you enjoy citizens. However, when it comes to institutional effectiveness, I think that's where South Africa might actually miss the lot and become like some of these other countries that have also other liberation movements that failed to uphold democracy and its effectiveness. Because what General one, as I mentioned yesterday, in that there was there was an instruction to disband a task team which was meant to investigate political killings, which is something that is very prevalent in our country and it has been prevalent for the past ten years or so. Is actually very alarming to say the least, because if you are a country that seeks to have institutional effectiveness and uphold democracy, then why would you actually disband the very same task team that is meant to unravel and also bring to light things that you are fighting against. Is a country so in a way, for looking for the research terms, that is something that is a bit country revolutionary, and that is something that is irregressive in the sense that it does not take us anyway. So I think that's the context that I meant when I said that the ANC or South Africa generally is following in the same trajectory as some of its neighboring countries that have used similar, similar tactics to suppress demo, to suppress the democratic order in those countries, and to also weaken institutions that are supposed to uphold democracy and ensure that there is law and order.
Speaker 2: Yep, Sat and List, thank you so much for spending your time with us.
Speaker 5: A