Speaker 1: Welcome to your new day. This is early Breakfast with Africa Milani twenty one minute. Night is two five o'clock. In a moment, I'll speak to Mark Dingle. He's a performance coach and running expert. Will be talking to us about the Jeffing Method, which is apparently part walking, part running. First time I hear the phrase. We'll get to unpack it a little bit more with Mark in a moment, and then later this hour we'll speak to the CEO and executive manager for Harvey World Traveled. That's Scale Lee Galake. It's going to tell us about the best safari escapes even in the winter of South Africa that you can consider. We are it's the first week of school holidays, right and there are two more, two and a half more, three more to go, so you will need to entertain your children and perhaps escaping to a safari with your family if you can afford it, could be an option. So we'll find out where which part of South Africa would be best to go to in the middle of winter, because some journeys are better taken together. Let's walk thet's talk. Seven notes is twenty minutes. NINETEA is two five o'clock. Mark Dingle A very good morning to you and welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Well, how's learn. How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good, I'm good, Thank you very much. What pray tell is jeffing.
Speaker 2: So it's it's a training method that was developed action the seventies by a guy named Jeff Galloway. And what it is is it incorporates the right walk method. So it's it's, you know, someone starting running, it might be very overwhelming to say you have to go and run five k straight, or you have to go run eight k straight or whatever the distance may be. So so it encourages people to to incorporate walking within their running before they get too fatigued and tired in reality that they can't cover that distance.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because I mean, I'm imagining a situation where you're running for thirty seconds, you're working for thirty seconds, you're running for another thirty seconds working for thirty seconds. Doesn't that make you feel tired sooner?
Speaker 2: In reality? You shouldn't know. What it does is it enables your body to adapt and recover a lot quicker as opposed to especially for beginners going out and trying to run for five minutes ten minutes, whatever the time may be. If you're doing those thirty second intervals where you walk thirty seconds, you run thirty seconds and you repeat that circle, what that does is it just prevents one from getting tired quicker, so in reality you can then go further for longer.
Speaker 1: And part of that, to just try and understand the biomechanics of it all, is that it allows you time to breathe i's nothing else and take it more oxygen that you would not be able to do so if you are running and having and passing.
Speaker 2: Right, No, of course, because as I said, you're not. You're not as fatigued, so you are your heart rates not as elevated. So with that walk break, you're just allowing your body that that short recovery period and then you can again get back into the running, which you can then maintain a more consistent and and quicker pace than one would when they are trying to run consistently for for pro long period.
Speaker 1: What are some of the other advantages, Mark, I imagine it reduces the risk of injury, amongst.
Speaker 2: Others, of course, you know, especially coming back. You know runners coming back from an injury or starting off running off an injury, and they want to reduces that that that that load on the muscles, load on the joints, because instead of that consistent pnding when you are you know, the constant movement of running, you're giving yourself that walk break and it does, it does alleviate the stress on the males. And you know the old saying, rather walk, walk early before you have to walk, So make it a choice before it becomes mandatory.
Speaker 1: Why would that be a good idea? Yes, to reduce fatigue, But why would it be to your advantage to rather force yourself to walk even though you you might not be under pressure or distressed to do so at that time.
Speaker 2: You can just you can just in reality, then go further for longer. You know, a lot of ones. This is a great method for new runners obviously building up fitness that don't have the fitness to run, to run a certain distance of five or ten or twenty k whatever it may be. But it's also used a lot in marathon running and within South Africa we know we have a love for the two oceans and for comrades, so the ultramarathons, a lot of guys incorporate this, rather walk earlier when you free shirt to save the load, to save on build up fatigue, because then it'll pay later in the run when you are when you are able to then run more consistently, as opposed to if you want to use the term burning all your matches early on and then your your body's pretty bug. It to to be able to run consistently at the end of the the at the latter stage of the run mark.
Speaker 1: Some people will train in order to finish distances, be it outra marathon's, irregular marathon, half a marathon, even shorter distances. Others are running because they want to lose weight. Will the Jeffing method be as effective and someone wanting to lose weight if they're walking and running some of the time.
Speaker 2: I do think it would be. Yes, it's it's it's It's quite a controversial topic, but I do believe the Jeffing method is highly beneficial because again, someone in a scenario get starting running to lose weight, starting starting a new sport, it can be very overwhelming. You know, if someone has to go to their first five k park run, they might they may not want to go because it's very overwhelming for them. They might not be able to run five k straight. But what they can do is incorporate this method, break it down into a thirty second run thirty second walk. Once they start to get fitter. As the week's progress, you can then start to shorten the walks or lengthen the run, So you might then do a thirty second walk and a one minute run and then become a two minute run. So over the long term you are actually reducing the total amount of walking and increasing the total amount of running, and in turn is that is really beneficial.
Speaker 1: I remember going to a class at a gymnasium that I was a member of for a couple of years, and the one instructor obviously teaching us the heat method, where you're working out doing something for forty five seconds and then for fifteen or twenty seconds you're resting before the next exercise or the repetition of that, and she always used to say keep moving, like, don't add distress to yourself. But instead of being stationary, some people are doing sitting down that seemingly will be worse for you than in the case of Jeffing working for a distance, for example, So it is not advised for you to run for thirty seconds and then to stop for thirty seconds, is it? No, not at all.
Speaker 2: You know, while you're walking still you are there's still blood flow, You're still being active. There's still blood flow to the mussle, so there is recovery. Okay, your heart rate would be dropping, there would be as I said, blood flow to the massle. So you are recovering, but again you are then still covering distance. You're still moving forward as opposed to executly what you said, just standing in a still position.
Speaker 1: When people are I suppose recovering from I don't know, the Comrades marathon or something. Could this help as well where you need to get a little bit of activity, but obviously being mindful of the fact that you've already torn your muscles apart while you were running the distance of comments Madathine.
Speaker 2: It's definitely a great method for active recovery and guards coming off of a demanding race like Comrades or Two Oceans, where the body ready just takes a pure beating. It's a great way to ease back into running instead of instead of trying to jump straight back into her mileage. To incorporate the Jeffrey method is really beneficial and in a scenario like that. You know, the first the first two weeks, s guys, mind incorporate a lot more walking than running, and then, as I mentioned earlier, just reduce the amount of walking and increase the amount of running to a point where you can try to run consciously again until you're fully recovered from as I said, from a big grace like it.
Speaker 1: Well, I might not have known what the Jeffing method is ahead of this conversation, but I can tell you I've been applying it all my life. Whenever I've had to run, there definitely would be moments when I'd have to walk. I'd never do it as the liberty as you suggesting I do. So the next time I do put on my running shoes and go for a short run, I will suddenly remember this. Mark, thank you very much for your time this.
Speaker 2: Morning, anytimes everykay appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Mark Dingle is a performance coach and a running expert talking to us about the Jeffing method, which is where you run some of the distance and you walk some of the distance genuinely in short intervals, and as he says, start slowly and then build on it, where you reduce the intervals where you do stop and increase the times that you are running, but do so as a preventative method for injury and against fatigue. Seven o two Walk the Talk is happening in the city of Sane on the twenty seventh of July. It's in part to mark, of course, forty five years of existence of Talk radio in Johannesburg in seven oh two Land. It's our flagship event, It's back. It takes place on Sunday, the twenty seventh of July in the city of Swaney. The event is hosted by Freedom Park and we expect about twenty thousand people to participate over three distances of six point seven kilometers, eight kilometers and four kilometers for parents, for kids and moms with prams. So don't miss out. Grab your event ticket now. You can go to prometere plus dot com search for Walk the Talk. Entries will close on the twenty third of July or when we reach our limit. We only permitted a certain number of people that can walk on the day, and once we reach that limit, you will not be able to register anymore. So do go to Promeida plus dot com for more details and how you can get your entry ticket to this year's edition of seven or two Walk the Talk