Speaker 1: And now The Money Show with Stephen credits on seven oh two. Let's walk at all.
Speaker 2: The Money Show with Stephen Curtis is brought to you by Absurd Corporate and Investment Bank, proud sponsor of the African Blockchain Report twenty twenty four. Good evening, Welcome to the program. I'm Stephen Curtis. Were plenty going on, of course, and just in the last hour or so confirmation now that the Prudential Authority is going to now appeal the ruling that really went in the favor of Sipol Patiana. You may recall that he was going to be the chair of Absbank. He was the only person that was in line, and then there were various claims against him. The judge eventually ruled in the case that what had happened was the Prudential Authority had sort of conducted an informal process and the reason that that is a problem is that he did not get a chance to reply. He had no right of reply in the process, and for that reason, what the court judgment eventually said was the prudential Authority was wrong to do it in that way. I'm not at awesome prize that there was going to be an appeal here because you kind of can see that the stakes are so incredibly high. Some of the people involved are very big names, people who've been around, people who have reputations to protect, and I have their reputation not want to protect them too. It does mean, though, and I mean taking on seper Patiana, you're going to know you're in a fight one way or another. But it does mean it's going to go on forever and ever and ever, and that I suspect is going to be a major, major issues, the kind of thing that can hang around your neck whether you're a bank, whether you're seeper Patiana, or whether you're the potential authority. So I think there might be some concerns around that. Talking of concerns, it seems the finance was seen Aguana a little worried about the idea of a sort of single holding company for state owned entities. We'll talk about that a bit more in a moment. And then news from Cherry the car company, the car manufacturer, that they're actually looking at making models here. You can understand some of the reasons I can think of reasons why they might choose not to, But we'll get into that in the next little while as well. I'm sure you've noticed this that over the last kind of fifteen years or so, maybe you, but a lot of people around you, if not you, yourself, were probably feeling a little bit poorer. And investors put out a big report looking at this. And we've known for quite a while actually that our economy has just not grown. I mean, how many times have you heard this conversation what it means now? Though then I thought this was very interesting because it goes to our sense of self as a country. Is that our average GDP per capita, in other words, how much money each person gets. So it's a total amount of GDP divided by the number of people in the country that is now quite a lot lower than the global average, and I mean significantly lower. Now we're often seen as a sort of upper income country. Lots of different ways to look at these things, and you can slice and dice the numbers anyway you want, but it may just reflect a little bit on how we see ourselves with this news that actually most people in South Africa are significantly poorer than the global average. And this gets straight to our conversations around inequality, of course, and how difficult some of those things are don't forget investment school tonight. And we thought that commodities being the hot issue, Copper prices spiking, gold still incredibly high, platinum suddenly sort of bouncing. It's a good moment to be talking about that, and that's what we'll be doing this evening. We'll be talking about how you ride the commodity cycle. And one of the strange things about it is that there are a couple of ways to get involved in the commodity cycle. You can buy gold, or you can buy shares in a gold miner. That's just one way of looking at it. The other way that you can look at it is that you can also decide there's no yield in this, You're not going to get dividends, and therefore you're just not going to invest there at all. So there's a lot to look at when it comes to that's a very interesting conversation actually looking forward to that. Love David Shapiro and Vincent Anthony Raja, so really top tier people on the Money Show this evening from seven thirty. Good to hear from you one A three seven, two one four four six o five six seven and seven two seven oh two one seven oh two. I do wonder if it matters to you where in the world your car is made. A conversations next that.
Speaker 3: Is on the Money Shows six to eight PM.
Speaker 2: One of the great sort of games, One of the great kind of conversations over the last a couple of months has been how many Chinese made or how many Chinese brand cars you see on our roads? This confirmation now that Cherry South Africa is in the second phase of the feasibility study that could see them making some of their cars. Heah. The car industry, of course, globally going through a series of transitions, moving away from fossil fuels to hybrid and electric cars, but also away from European and American vehicles to Chinese cars. George Mini is the CEO Auto Trader SA George, good evening, Good to talk to you again. We have a very well established car industry. We have particular government programs that incentifize this. Would it makes sense for Cherry to make some of their cars here, Hi.
Speaker 4: Stephen, and are great to be with you again and you're seven oh two listeners. Yes, it would make very much sense for Cherry to produce cars here. And the numbers speak for themselves, because you know, firstly, they would be able to sidestep the eighteen percent import tariff on importing cars into South Africa if they make them, yeah, or if even if they make a few of their variants in South Africa, they could offset import or su manufacturing credits against imports so that they pay less import tariffs into South Africa. So you know, the drivers really probably to lower costs and they've reached critical mass.
Speaker 2: I mean, that really is the issue. In the end, they're going to look at the numbers and suddenly government policy becomes very important in this.
Speaker 4: Exactly right, and the numbers are very very good for them.
Speaker 2: One of the big issues that has been our government policy towards electric and hybrid So we took a little while for there to be an actual policy on electric cars. If I recall, there are some actually big incentives on the table. If you're going to come and build a car, build a plant to build electric cars, government can probably make that worth your while.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 4: So the incentives, however, fall flat when it comes to the consumer. So from a manufacturing point of view, there are incentives in place, but from a consumer point of view, there aren't any incentives in place just yet. So yes, you're absolutely right. I think the biggest drawback from electric car point of view, particularly is the is the twenty five percent import tariff versus eighteen percent on internal combustion engine vehicles. And right now we can see that Cherry is bringing in internal combustion engine vehicles. Just on audit trator sites alone, we've seen a forty two percent increase in people looking at Cherries June last year versus June this year.
Speaker 2: That's a huge increase. I mean, what's their unique selling point here? And I'm presuming price is the major factor.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a little bit further than price even so I said is price, But you know, I think that Chinese vehicles are probably eighty percent the build quality. And I'm no manufacturer, but you know, I've driven a lot of cars, and my team are driven a lot of cars, and probably eighty percent of the build quality of a European or German vehicles at sixty percent of the price, and that delta of twenty percent is what adds value to the consumer.
Speaker 2: There's a series of transitions that we're seeing at the moment. Volkswagen says they can't make cars economically in Europe. China has a huge oversupply, huge over capacity of electric cars. Can we, as South Africa relatively small, open economy, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera, can we compete giving all of these transitions that are happening. In a way, it's probably China that we actually have to compete with.
Speaker 4: Yes, And I think it is China that we're going to have to compete with in the foreseeable future, because because they just have the volumes and they have the market to be able to do these things a scale, especially if they bring manufacturing plants to South Africa, they'd be able to increase that scale.
Speaker 2: I would imagine also the fact that we have people who've been building cars for many years. Some of them don't have jobs at the moment, but there are plenty of people with lots of experience in the sector, and that could be really quite useful.
Speaker 6: It could be very useful.
Speaker 4: I mean, many people look negatively on Chinese vehicles in the market, but you know, let's be honest. Their vehicles have gained momentum and they've gained a popularity. But besides popularity and momentum, they've also increased the quality of the cast. Yes, maybe not to German and European standards in terms of build quality, but the technology you get in the cars, the extras you get in the cast, they are a good cause at the end of the day, and they do meet the safety standards that are required to be in South Africa.
Speaker 2: George Minnie thanks very much. Indeed, CEO Auto Trader essay the.
Speaker 3: Money Show on seven oas Monday till Friday six to APM.
Speaker 2: It now appears the National Treasury and the Financements that have some serious concerns about plans to create one single holding company that would then house all of the state owned entities, all of the government companies that are in trouble all the time would be in one place. Parliament's looking at the National State Enterprises Bill, but it seems got Iguandero's concern this model could increase the scope for political interference. Do I need to spill out to you what that could mean? Caya Satola is an independent political analyst. Kaya Good Evening. Is a minister right to be worried? Good Evening?
Speaker 5: Yes it is.
Speaker 7: And the reason the minister has to be worried is that when you look at the history we were supposed to doom. It was supposed to correct the sins of the part where different strategically important enterprises had indeed been captured political process in the sense that it was the politicians who determined who needed to go then as AI and forminating a new model who was to be able to break away from that political alliance, which really meant that any minister could decide what the fate of a particular entity would do. The problem with the new proposal is that it's simply.
Speaker 5: The president.
Speaker 7: Obviously, it's probably going to delegate some of those powers to decide who should go away, So it doesn't really solve the ultimate issue of how do you break the link between the political principles.
Speaker 2: All right, Chilestole, I'm sorry we do seem to be losing you on that. Unfortunately, it is an important story and it is something that we want to talk about. So sorry about that does seem to be a little bit of a problem with that line. We had been battling with them earlier in fact, to get them on that line, and just to continue with that conversation. We'll try and get a better line for you, because there is so much to talk about when it comes to these issues. So yep, we'll speak to Kayastole as we move through the program.
Speaker 3: This evening The Lonely Show with Stephen Krutiz Lion on ninety two point seven and one six FM streaming on the Prime Media.
Speaker 1: Plus NAP and DStv channel eight five six.
Speaker 2: Well, there's been a fascinating series of developments in the United States. We've seen in video go past four trillion dollars in valuation yeares today. At the same time, a report on Bloomberg Today that Meta hired a person called Roming Pang from Apple at a price of two hundred million dollars. Essentially, they decided this one person was worth two hundred million dollars to their company. Apple, according to the Bloomberg report, decided not to counter. They didn't try and say that to Pang, stay with us and we'll pay you more, because they felt the only other person who gets anything close to that is their CEO, Tim Cook. And this is all about artificial intelligence. It just shows you how much money is being thrown in that direction. The thing this person can do is all about artificial intelligence, and in video of course is all about that as well. And it does just show you despite everything that's happening in the US, despite all of the concerns around tariff's, despite all of that, the money is going into one thing at the moment, and it's going into that one thing because people are making a big, big bet on the future. But it also suggests something else to me. It suggests, and this is obvious, that the competitive edge. In other words, if you're better by just half a percent, the amount of money you will make will be absolutely huge, and that presumably is what's really going into these massive pay packets for AI programmers. It really is an astonishing thing. Just one to other point to make about these investors. They better be right. The money show of Governor's portfolio manager at rand Swiss Viv good evening and a lot going on around in video four trillion dollars. Yesay is looking at the example of one person being offered two hundred million dollars that's million and dollars one hundred in the same sentence just to go and work for Meta. This is astonishing how much money is still flowing in that direction.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean I think it's even more than that actually, because I think the deal that that is offering people is something like one hundred million dollars to sign up one hundred million dollars salary that three hundred million dollar potential bonus pool per year, so effectively the year, but a person could make as much as a half of billion dollars. So these are the plays that we're talking about that are unbelievable, but like you said, it has to pay off. Remember Meta did something similar with the Metaverse in which they were burning tens of billions of dollars, which even the hundreds of millions on one hundred million dollars only one percent of ten billion dollars, and they were bringing multiple tens of billions of dollars, and then Marks decided eventually, no, it wasn't worth it. Any kind of shout that project. You even had about a Metaverse for a while. This is the kind of power you have if you are the guy with the super voting rights at a multi trillion dollar company. But in this case, I think he's not the only one going for it, ILike with the Metabords where he was pretty much mine alone. Kind of get to VR off the ground like that. Here we have you know, Glock for just came out for Melon Mask. We have. Of course, what's happening with you know, Apple, not Apple fory with the Microsoft and open Ai, et cetera. Actually, Apple, strangely enough, is probably the one company that is the least you know, bullish on AI. It would seem at the moment.
Speaker 2: It's fascinating to watch it all play out, but there's just huge amounts of money that are going in there, and copper prices up, some of them up very strongly. The fifty percent tariff that the US President Donald Trump has been talking about did help some mining companies that have listings here, but that really still is the thing driving some parts of the markets at the moment.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Look, I mean the thing with copper is that if AI does turn out to be a reality, firstly, you would probably need a lot more copper, and I think people don't realize just how advanced with the stuff is. For instance, a way more the self driving taxi company, which is on by Google, has done about ten million rides. Over ten million rides, it's fact patrol rides in the US, and that means basically, at the moment it's pretty much a solved problem. You could get a say like Joe Burg or Durban or Cape Town and replace. You know, taxis talk about the taxi clubs with the self driving vehicles, and if that's the case, I mean the disruption to the globe will be insane. And the two things to note here is that these cars work basically electric, so therefore copper demand for electric vehicles is quite significant, significantly more than for a fossil fuel during vehicle.
Speaker 9: And the second thing is if you need electric.
Speaker 8: Vehicles, you need to have the road to basically get the lexity to the vehicle, which is also a more demand for copper. So which we slice it, the demand for copper is likely to saw dramatically over the next few years. If AI does take off in the way people think.
Speaker 2: It's will still doesn't explain where Trump why Trump suddenly, almost out of nowhere, said that he was going to do this. I mean, it's it's a very strange. So I mean that that's not the only sort of tariff news at the moment. Brazil is getting a tariff of fifty percent. Trump's explicitly tied that to the fate of the former president Jay bel Scenario, who faces criminal charges for trying to ferment a queue. That's the claim against him. And we now have a situation where the person in the White House is not just implementing tariffs, but it's tying it to political objectives explicitly with regard to Brazil, but not with regard to US. This becomes an impossible situation for other countries to manage.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Look, I mean the one thing that we might see abous is the tuckle trade, which is Trump always chickens out, and I think if he does put in place once it's the last chide of a popper. Eventually a digital company would say this is ridiculous. We can't basically hope to have a good that the operation with the electrical electical demands that you could have in the future would be kind of huge class in place. I think the pasty has done that. I mean he's just stepped backwards. It's with the fob workers with security. But said, you know, this is impossible that he did have a step back on down. So I think he's probably going to have to adjust his demand or his idea around copper talents because I mean, people don't realize this, but China, for instance, is adding the entire US capacity every few years to their grid, and he's taken a huge leap in terms of energy production, and the US is not just basically you know, stable in terms of what's happening, it's fully significantly be had what the Chinese are doing at the moment. So yeah, I think he's going to have to change that. With regards to this intervention, with the jival startup, thet the registration has taken a rather strong view and a couple of things. I mean, they've taken a view on, for instance, the AfD Incholas in Germany, which is the dicty party Germy. They've taken their stouts on, for instance, the elections at all media, et cetera. And I think this is just a step for that. The only positive thing here, a get is that they haven't made willing to back that up with any kind of real force, either Germany or in place electro media. Maybe Bizil might be different because it's not part of the EU and part of a bigger group that might protected. But generally, like I think the tackle Traid, like I said, top always chickens out might come be to play yet again, and.
Speaker 2: Then earning season beginning, I suppose so ready next week, maybe maybe even tomorrow, it's going to be very interesting to see US atherfan companies are doing at the moment.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Look, I mean because what it comes to adding season. Uh, the number one to any company calls about is is order early. So you can look at the back row, you can look at the trends or whatever, but it comes down to it, the company itself has to make the money, and we are going to be seeing just what the impact is going to be, uh, you know on the the largest a lot of talents and certainty for some of these companies out there. Also, we're going to be seeing what kind of numbers these are you know, chech companies be pulling that out because realer the check you know, RUT has been significantly stronger than the overall market. It's what the reason the US has outperformed in the last couple of years. So we need to be seeing some of these you know, chech companies pre kind of profits that you know, justify these higher prices. So, yeah, it's gonna be a very interesting a couple of weeks, next couple of weeks out of the US and other parts of the world as well.
Speaker 2: Viv Governor, thanks very much. Indeed, portfolio manager at ran Swiss Ready to appreciate the time. Coming up in the next little while, we'll speak to the CEO at INVESTEC Bank Commission Middler about why it is that you are right when you think you're feeling poorer than you were fifteen years ago. That's the coming with the Money Show. It's just gone six thirty.
Speaker 10: The Money Show with Stephen Krutez is brought to you by Apps of Corporate and Investment Bank crowd sponsor of the African Blockchain Report twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: We'll get to hear from you this evening on double one, double A three oh seven two and two one four, four, six, five sixty seven. It seems the business sector is the only part of the country that is not commenting at this stage. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if we get there about the unbelievable revelations that came from the Quasilla Natel Provincial Police Commissioner in Clantlam Quanazi over the weekend, the claims he made against the policemanister. Since you know, I'm sure you've been following it, it's incredibly important. Then what's really required is going to be some kind of I think quite assertive action. I was struck today by the President announcing on Thursday, that's today, that he will make a step into the nation on Sunday. Now struck for several reasons. One is, any decision you make between now and then is so likely to be leaked. But also if you've got different people in different parts of our criminal justice system who clearly, it seems, almost at each other's throats, I don't know if you wait for four days and say that in four days time you will act, Because someone somewhere is going to think they're about to lose their job, and the risk of that is that this forces them or tempts them into some kind of extreme action. I don't get me wrong. I'm not saying, based on this person or that person, this is what they're going to do. I'm just saying, I don't know if it's such a wise idea. I realize that the Presidency's probably done this to take some of the heat off everybody's saying the president must act for the good of the economy. The president must act. But to sort of say I'm acting but only on Sunday, I think might actually create more trouble for you, for you don't think it's necessarily such a good idea. It's a very very important story. Ewn, as you know, is on it Money Show with seven Cruis. You have had plenty of conversations over the last little while about our lack of economic growth. More evidence now actually that our lack of growth since around twenty ten means our population is now poorer, quite a lot poorer than the global average. And you study by investic wealth and by investing Wealth and Investment International, suggesting our GDP per capital capital is now just over fifteen thousand dollars. That's compared with the global average of just under twenty three thousand dollars. Commercial Middler is the CEO of invest Bank Commsha good evening. I do appreciate that time. It's a really important topic. Our economy has clearly fallen behind and that seems to have made us all poorer and actually quite a lot poorer than the global average. I mean, this gets to the heart of how we see ourselves in South Africa.
Speaker 6: Thanks Steven, and thanks for the chat. I think absolutely.
Speaker 11: I think from a South African perspective, what you've realized is that after fifteen years of sluggish growth, you're really sitting at a situation where compared to your global counterparts, you've had a forty percent decline in GDP per capita relative to global averages. So that's coming out of a period really from if you look at it, between nineteen ninety and twenty ten, nominal.
Speaker 6: GDP capita in South Africa.
Speaker 11: Moved in line with the average nominal GDP per capita globally, and then from twenty ten you saw a stock dislocation between the two. And really, ultimately, as I've said, you look back at twenty twenty three and it's forty percent lower than the global average. So that is when you've had an economy growing at an average of about one point three GDP growth per year in the last fifteen years. So that really does set the path ahead and the urgency that we've got to get GDP growth up to create an inclusive economic story for South Africa.
Speaker 2: It can feel sometimes that we're locked in this path. Fifteen years basically of going backwards is a long time. People still seem to be stuck in old habits, old views, if I can use that phrase of looking at the economy, and the longer we are trapped like this, perhaps the harder it is to break out of it.
Speaker 11: I agree with you but that it is harder to break out of it. But I do take some level of comfort from a few key factors, Stephen. The one thing is, firstly, we were in a lower inforation rate environment and we've certainly seen the benefits of that. So with inflation being well contained within the midpoint of the Central banks monetary policy target is the one point i'd make. The second is we've seen a level of interest rate cuts over the last eight to nine months, and you know, the NPC meets again at the end of this month, and obviously the jury's artist to what that decision would be. What does potentially cost some shadow over it, which I think came up in your show a bit earlier, is the fact that obviously were sitting with trade tariffs now being imposed by the US and what the impact of that would be. So it could be that you sit with a more cautious approach from a manatory policy perspective, but certainly we're generally operating in an interest rate a more interest rate benign potentially cutting environment at the moment. And then also you've seen the rand being relatively steady and perhaps more on the back of dollar weakness, but are rounded under eighteen rand generally better than one would have expected. So with that said, they are a few key factors. And also I think when we look at some of the structural reforms in South Africa, as much as we know there's a long road ahead, we are seeing some positive momentum in areas like energy. We've certainly seen to a large extent the back of the s COM crisis, as much as there's still a lot of work to be done. And I don't think we're completely out of the words, but if we spoke two years ago, that would have been a very different discussion. And some work in logistics around rail ports, which seems to be moving in the right direction. But when looking at the pace of it and having regard for the lack of GDP growth and the sluggishness, you realize the one thing that comes to mind, Stephen, is there's just one phrase, speed of execution.
Speaker 2: Keeps coming back to that. You also make the point that gross fixed capital formation has not happen quickly enough. Basically we haven't been building enough infrastructure. I will see that on my drive home.
Speaker 7: Is that really?
Speaker 2: I mean, do we point to that and say that's a failure of government.
Speaker 11: I think I think the I would link to a couple of things. One do you think and you know you talk about your drive home. I think one of the key concerns we certainly have is local government in South Africa and failing municipalities. And I think as you talk about just living in Johannesburg in the last week, you know, many people, including myself, you had a situation we didn't at running water at time. Now some of us off the back of actual reinvestment in infrastructure, but some of it's off the back of very poor, increasing infrastructure that's not being Plus, you've seen, you know, the impact on traffic large You've seen a lot of deterioration in basic what I would call call the one or one of city infrastructure.
Speaker 6: I think that needs a lot more urgent attention.
Speaker 11: I do take a level of comfort from the fact that the Presidency has, through Operation Wiolendela, now set up a new working group to focus on local government and again we need to get that happening. I am concerned that the disconnect that continues to grownd basic services. Often when there is an electricity issue at the moment, it's not as results of potential s com failure, but a lack of what's happening from a distribution perspective of electricity at local government level, so you know, little substations that are not or not little substations that are not working, infrastructure that's failing. So local government is a very key priority in that you get the right approach. Coming back to some of your debate, the key issue is investment confidence and business confidence. And I think that generally, as much as generally fixed catal formation, a significant amount comes from the private sector that it is led often by government infrastructure spend. And we've got to start seeing these larger projects come to light and coming to effect. And I think you know that in the current budget the Finance Minister has allocated a trillion RAN for infrastructure over the next three years. The sooner we can get those projects moving in the right direction.
Speaker 6: Believe that all.
Speaker 11: Boost business confidence, which then boosts fixed capital investment and fixed capital formation.
Speaker 2: Back to the political promise that will turn the nation into a construction site, I mean, I hope that it happens this time. We had a new round of tariffs announced by President Trump earlier in the week thirty percent for us, there's so much to it. Personally, I'm not convinced it'll be thirty percent in the end, but the uncertainty makes it harder for the world to grow, and when we're trying to get out of this sort of no growth trap, I imagine it makes our life quite a lot harder too.
Speaker 5: It really does.
Speaker 6: And I think Stephen the couple of things.
Speaker 11: One is that the debate and I think the US have indicated they're open for further engagement, and I think they've set a window now, and we understand this is a hard deadline and not like some of the softer deadlines we've seen to date in the stir of debate. The hard deadline, I understand is the first of August. So effectively, you know, we at the tenth of July. We've got three three weeks from a South African perspective, to hopefully engage the US trade counterparties and reach some sort of trade agreement, which is more beneficial at thirty percent at is punitive. And there are a number of key sectors that are impacted, particularly particularly around motor industry and agriculture. So I think the key sectors that are impacted and there will certainly be secondary impacts to that. The second aspect would be that we able to negotiate a trade deal which also creates the opportunity for South Africa, for example, to consider. I know one of the key issues is US gas as a potential supply to South Africa. So potentially could there be still a lot more done in the space. I think they could be, But the next three weeks are going to be the most imperative and one would hope that we were putting our best approach and best team forward to be able to negotiate that for us.
Speaker 2: Commish, thank you so much really to appreciate the time, as I say, such an important topic. Commission Middler is the CEO at investig Bank.
Speaker 3: The Money Show on seven see Monday till Friday six to a pm.
Speaker 2: Well, so much of the time on the Money Show you'll hear conversations that at their roots are really trying to sort of boost your return. They're trying to make sure that you get as much money as you can make it as sustainably as possible. But money can also be used in other ways. It can be invested in a way to have other impact. And what I'm talking about is often called impact investing. Glad when Liu is the CEO at E Squared, it's an impact investor. Glad when good evening, you've actually been in this game a little while. How would you define impact investing? Obviously different from normal investing?
Speaker 9: How d Stephen thank you for having your thank you for having me on your show, and good evening to you or your listeners. How would I define impact investing?
Speaker 4: Or the best way to describe it is we.
Speaker 8: Want to do good while doing well.
Speaker 9: We want to invest in in the early stages of where businesses are formed and essentially harnessed in order to build those big businesses that will eventually become the engine, the driver by economy.
Speaker 2: When you look at your returns, do you assess them in the sort of normal way or do you include other criteria?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not just about a return, but you now have a lot of other criteria you need to include.
Speaker 4: So we look at the returns.
Speaker 9: We aren't invested in business at our core, but we do look at as a return. So we look at transformation in the form of more equitable distribution, investing in black and female founders. We look at job creation. We look at industries that are the impacting. So, for instance, from our portfolio perspective, we're more invested on the ed tech, health stick and infrastructure side of things.
Speaker 2: I presume men, that you get to know those sectors really quite well, you kind of know what's cooking there, and you become a specialist in it.
Speaker 9: So the thing about the SQUED is the industry agnostic primarily because though when Eastford was set.
Speaker 4: Up by.
Speaker 9: Mister Gray Allen Ray is the man in two thousand and seven, he set it up to invest in primarily beneficialies of the Allen Gray Orbust Foundation and also to benefit nonprofit companies that have public benefit organization status. And so therefore we would we wouldn't be able to determine what businesses these Allen grade fellows would go into. However, we've since diversified, so we are industry agnostic and say se agnostics. So we see a lot of different industries and we now are trying to use that data to further inform how we construct our portfolio.
Speaker 2: Does your investment approach have a little bit more risk? There's a lot more to take into account. It's not just about money. You also perhaps need to be a little bit more what's the right English work lad adventurous with what you decide to invest in, And does that automatically mean it comes with a little bit more risk?
Speaker 10: It does?
Speaker 9: It does come with a lot more risk, and we are very benefit. We're really we've benefited from the way and then very set up in the business. So in two thousand and seven he sold a minority equity take in Alan Gray, the asset manager, to Easquad. It is funded by a South African financial services institution into a TODUSK. What then happens is each fat benefits from as long as Alan Gray continues to do well, we benefit from dividends and therefore our funds and the management keeps growing. Why that's important is we can take a lot more risk because we don't have shareholders or limited partners sitting waiting for a financial return, and so we can essentially try to take a lot more risk because we've grown out the assets under our care and we able to. How can I say accept a lot more risks because you're not dealing with patient fund money or other people's money.
Speaker 2: So does that mean then, I mean, does that have a material impact on your return over time. I mean if you have if you have just one percent more risk over ten years across your entire portfolio, that that would have an.
Speaker 9: Impact, would have an impact. We've i guess, in the in the in the venture capital space, and like you said in the question before, this sometimes been known as adventure capital. And so what you start to see in this space is we take a lot more resk be invested at the pceed very early stage of the business life cycle when the businesses are their concept, proof of concept, in that validation phase. But then we also are investing at the small cap private equity. So on the balance of things, we've had a really good return. So we've got a forty two percent fair market value growth in our assets under management. But like my chap, my X chairperson used to say, safe market value is like beauties in the eye of the beholder, and so but we've also been able to get real returns. So we've been able from the five hundred art million that we've put into commercial investments, we've returned about one hundred million.
Speaker 2: All of this, I mean, you must see sectors change if you're putting money into certain places. I know you say your industry agnostic but you'll be able to also monitor companies going from very little to something much bigger, to beginning to stand on their own two feet without you.
Speaker 9: Yes, yes we have. We've been able to see that in the green space, infrastructure. We've been able to see that, like in the ethics space as well, because we're you know, we've seen students start three D printing companies. We've got a bake, so we've seen a lot. But what we have seen change quite significantly is where the returns are coming from. And we've seen that, for instance, the infrastructure space, and I know you were talking to your previous the previous interview, we're talking about it. We've seen the infrastructure space, specifically independent power producers, the assets there grow quite significantly. And then we have a water technology business that's also done really really well.
Speaker 2: Glad when most people, I think, look at their returns and their reward comes from that. So it comes from probably two things, one getting the money and two sort of knowing that you actually made the correct choice. I wonder if your sense of reward maybe comes from somewhere else.
Speaker 9: I would like this seeing all these businesses sludgage. So we do see a lot of businesses fail because we are investing at this very early stage, but we've seen businesses grow. One of the examples I can talk to you about is is Cooler, one of the businesses that in our portfolio we have just helped while we led the CDs A around this year, and you know that is quite significant for us, and you know that reward and seeing that business go from being a small digital platform to winning awards and today'sing their CDs A. You know, in the business that's in the agriculture space is just is sole rewarding. I sometimes I think I annoy my wife because we'll be driving and I'll be like, you see that business we've invested in there. And so that's why I think we're a lot of personally for me at least where my reward comes from.
Speaker 2: I'm glad we're in LIU. Thanks very much. Indeed, CEO at E Square do appreciate it. Lots of different ways to invest, of course, lots of different ways to have an impact. And as I say, one of the whole points of the Money Show is to basically try and help you have a rewarding kind of reward, to have the best possible investment outcomes, but an impact investing goes through phases. Of course, there's a lot of activity around it from time to time. There's certain things everybody wants to invest in. I do wonder a little bit about how adventurous you actually have to be and how difficult that can be. But yeah, fascinating world and a slightly different one to the normal investment conversations that you here on the Money Show.
Speaker 6: Spevent because at at Stephen Krutz well.
Speaker 2: In a moment. I don't know if you've seen these. I've managed to stay away from them as far as I know. But reaction videos. These are people who make a ton of money on TikTok and YouTube, not by actually adding a huge amount of content. You see their reaction to another video that's playing, and there's actually been quite a series of court cases about it, some of them really interesting. You put. Maleta Zondie has been looking at that, and we'll focus on that over the next little while. But it gets to the heart of whether you can what you can manetize, and how you can monetize. It's actually quite complex because it leads to questions about whether you're just really reshowing a video or if you're reshowing a video while you react to it, Is that now new content? Well, I'm not really sure, maybe maybe not, And I think court cases have gone in different directions on this, but it does just show you how the social media environment is changing. Out of YouTube, always something new. It's just gone seven o'clock.
Speaker 1: And now The Money Show with Stephen credits on seven oh two. Let's walk little.
Speaker 2: The Money Show with Stephen Critis is brought to you by Abster Corporate and Investment Bank PROWL, sponsor of the African Blockchain Report twenty twenty four plenty coming up in the next little while. Don't forget investment School tonight. There is so much going on around commodities. We've got very high goal price platinum prices that suddenly seem to be booming again so unexpectedly as well by and large, and then at the same time, of course, we've got copper prices spiking. This week we'll focus on all of that. But how do you ride the commodity cycle? Do you invest deeply? What kind of role should commodities play in your investment portfolio. That'll be part of the conversation that we're looking at in Investment School. We'll talk about social media, YouTube and TikTok, monetization and reaction videos in just a moment, and then also the impact of all of the tariffs on smaller businesses in small business focus tonight, you might think, I mean, in some ways it's to be a group of people in a very far place talking about something that may or may not happen. But unfortunately, for various reasons, it does look like the tariffs will happen, and even if they don't, the sheer uncertainty of it all is what's creating so many problems for so many companies and so many business people around the world. Tonight could hear from you as well, of course on double one double A three seven o two two one four four six oh five six seven and Voice Notes this evening on seven two seven oh two one seven oh two.
Speaker 1: The Money Show Take Thursday.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 2: In social media, many people have started to make careers and actually done quite well simply out of posting online content.
Speaker 5: For the moment.
Speaker 2: The person who is most followed on TikTok is ca be lame from Senegal. They make reaction videos. In other words, they're not rarely original. It would be a reaction of them listening to me for example. So lots of arguments about whether this is the greation of new content. Here's facial reactions to people's videos. YouTube says they're now changing the type of content that can actually be monetized on their platforms. See Pumelle la Zondi. Of course you take experts, you Pumellelo. Good evening. So YouTube have been running monetization for quite a long time. Now, why are they're deciding to change who can monetize on their platform?
Speaker 12: Yeah, YouTube says are changing their monetization particy simply because there's a lot of AI contents that's starting to appear on the platform, and I suppose they're changing what original content is. And also the worry is that a lot of people earlier you mentioned Krbi Lam for example, whose contents on other platforms is basically reaction videos where people are posting other people's videos and then or he would be reacting to other people's videos. A lot of such content is starting to appear online because I guess it worked with one person, so it's working with other people. So they're saying that they want to focus more on original content as opposed to contents that not created by the individual themselves sometimes and also contents that it's created by AI as well.
Speaker 5: And I think there's a lot of because of AI.
Speaker 12: There's a lot of sort of like spamic contents that's starting to appear, where you find people just getting this content that is it's sort of like bombarding their accounts when they don't want it. And we do know that with AI as well, we are getting a lot of of fraud as with the contents that's starting to appear.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I mean to try and work out which content is which can be actually quite difficult, and some people who have been producing content for a long time might suddenly find themselves on the wrong side of.
Speaker 12: This totally and it will be so we can't know what their exact method is going to be, right because the starting of the fifteenth of July, so yes, and you might find that people who actually probably have benefited from YouTube's vannasization policies might get into trouble and might end up might find themselves not being paid the way they would normally get paid by the platform because they would have changed what original content is or what they the type of content that they want to pay.
Speaker 2: We've seen these sort of facial recognition videos, and in some ways it's not really new content. It's someone watching a piece of entertainment or something something that's already on YouTube and just reacting to it and not saying anything literally just their face. I mean, I honestly don't get it. But maybe that's just a sign of something that I have to deal with. But I'm presuming that. I mean, these have become very popular, but the argument about what's original content, which is as old as art itself, suddenly becomes right to the front.
Speaker 12: Well that's the thing, right because sometimes you might find that it's your own video.
Speaker 5: Is that going to is that also not going to be paid for?
Speaker 12: Because what you might find is that you've taken an old video because you want to say something about the old video, or you want to do a compilation of let's say, I don't know you you went to ten different locations in the last year, you did individual videos about those ten different locations in the last year.
Speaker 5: You now want to do a compilation video.
Speaker 12: So when their algorithm picks up that hold on, it seems like we've seen this before, We've seen that before, but it's still your video. It's still an original video, right, because you've sort of turned that content to something else and you've created something new from it, from something that you would have filmed yourself. So this is where it gets tricky on what they will be finding to be original contents. But once you're also finding, especially with news sites online or news platforms, you'll find that someone might take content from a particular news platform upload it on their own a page because it's a topical issue. They might make money from that as well. But they didn't generate it, did they They found it, They found it online, they found it on a different platform, and because it's topical it's what people are searching for, they make money from it.
Speaker 5: So it does actually get.
Speaker 12: Tricky on what they will be choosing to be calling original contents and whether if it's your own video, if it's a compilation of some people do compilations of things that they films themselves, but of videos they've taken in the past, if that's going to be recognized as it was in the past, or if it's going to say everything must be fresh and you had never appeared online before.
Speaker 2: What is original radio? Obviously, is this a change we're going to see on other platforms. I mean know, we're going to see TikTok. Maybe going in a different direction, they might actually get more content and make more money that way.
Speaker 5: Well, that could be it, right, they might get more content.
Speaker 12: But they're also in some regions, especially like in South Africa, haven't been here on how their payouts work, and people would believe that they don't have payouts. But sometimes you would speak to a content creators as hold on Us had a payouts, but obviously they haven't gone public on how this actually works for them and how they choose and the type of contents that they recognize if they recognize everything as original contents as long as it's reached a huge engagement. In regions where they're clear, they do say that it must be about one hundred thousand views on your particular page in the last thirty days or so, so if you not from one piece of content, but on your page. This is in the regions where they have publicly said that they do have some sort of payouts. But maybe content creators can also look for different methods for them to make money. Sometimes the method is outside the platform itself, right, Sometimes the method is on other platforms because your page is popular. You then go outside the platform to look for money, which is what a lot of South African content creators have been doing.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Cepo Mallela Zondie, thanks so much, really interesting conversation. A lot happening around social media and YouTube at the moment.
Speaker 6: The money showed.
Speaker 1: Small business focus.
Speaker 2: Small business Focus is brought to you by cap Tech. No matter the size of your business, Capitech's got you so obviously. The last few days dominated by the news from the White House, the US President Donald Trump imposing tariffs of thirty percent on US also instituting tariffs of fifty percent against Brazil, and of course it's fifty percent tariff on copper imports. There's a lot going on. You've had many conversations around song Corbo Ubap is an entrepreneur and business strategist, So Cooba, thanks so much for coming in. Good evening. So in a way, the trade wars are happening far away, doesn't really matter. He's not going to do it anyway. I shouldn't be looking at it like that for my small business. Should I I don't think you should?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 13: I think what's that saying? Never waste a good crisis? And I actually think that this is an interesting crisis that small businesses need to wake up and pay attention to. So either those small businesses who are exporting some of their goods or you know, goods overseas and bar overseas, really like not just the US, but also kind of small businesses who aren't currently exporting. It really forces you to take a look at the global environment and ask yourself, are you kind of operating in a really small island if you're just operating in South Africa? And as kind of certain products become less and less competitive from a pricing perspective, I mean using a good example, I think after this week, we all need good examples. So wine makers in South Africa. There are certain wine makers in South Africa who export all their goods and a fair amount goes to the US. With certain tariffs currently growing up and duties going up, what it means is that we may have a lot more supply sitting in South Africa. And therefore if you're a local wine producer and kind of only seld s Africa, you suddenly have a lot more competition because some of the larger players are now back with additional product that they're looking to sell in South Africa, So I really think it's one you need to look at.
Speaker 2: It goes in lots of directions, right there, consequences in every direction. So at first glance, it may look like this sector is going to do very badly and suddenly it changes. So it reminds me a little bit of COVID. You couldn't get in your car, but if you could drive a motorbike and had one, you were sudden in a position where you could make money.
Speaker 13: Exactly whereas before COVID, we weren't really respecting you much on a motorbike. Right, So one hundred percent, I think part of this whole tariff war was really forces us to understand input costs. It forces us to understand the full unit economics of some of the products that we produces as businesses. But it also forces us to think about kind of like you say, the sectors were in So I mean, if you look at kind of how the markets are responding every time these tariffs are announced, there's certain kind of sectors that struggle and then there's some that bounce up. So I mean, if you look at copper as an example, if you look at the resources you know on the Stock Exchange have been doing. That kind of tells you what the market thinks is going to happen in those sectors. And I think as small businesses who operate in the value chain of some of these large companies, we need to be paying attention because you may think, listen, I'm just running a marketing company and I service a couple of customers. But the reality is, if you're servicing a company that does export to the US and suddenly isn't or suddenly their goods are no longer competitively priced in the US, it actually means you're probably going to be hit because they're going to be looking to cut down on spending and you need to start thinking about where do you replace that revenue from.
Speaker 2: It would seem to me that there's going to be a lot of competition for new markets, and you really kind of want to be first in You want to be the first South African knocking on the door of a company in Beijing. You don't want to be the fifty third. You want to be the first one hundred percent.
Speaker 13: And I think unfortunately the ship is sailing right, so actually ones already late to the part. It's interesting that you should mention Beijing. If you think about the president who's on his way back to take us into his confidence on Sunday, right coming back from bricks and effectively, there's number of moves that are being made from a bricks perspective in order to enable trade between small businesses in South Africa and other bricks nations. If you think about the AGOA framework between US and America, which basically now as a trade agreement is really on the rocks and unlikely to continue. There's certain products that you know in the Sadic region even are now suddenly needed or there's an oversupply of you know ours reading up today, leading up today and thinking about how you know, certain things we'd take for granted, but like tea can be traded terraf free between Kenya and South Africa. You know, if you're a tea producer, are you currently trading with Kenya or are we all trying to get into the US market. Another one that was interesting is flour, maize, meal, poultry products. They can actually be traded terra free between Guana and South Africa. It really forces us to look on the continent and it really forces us to look at partners such as bricks and China is a massive market, and I think for small businesses what we need to do is we often look at it as so over stimulating and daunting and overwhelming.
Speaker 2: We really need to get engaged.
Speaker 13: And I think one of the tips I would give to small businesses is that a number of financial services providers, banks and otherwise actually have really brilliant trade solutions and support for helping small businesses to actually get their certificate to be importers or exporters and actually help them along the way from a trade finance perspective, if finance is the issue, or from a quality assurance perspective, or even finding off takers for your products to get into Beijing where probably sixteen thousand of our companies would be needed to produce enough for what the buyers in China are needing for their enormous market. So I really think this is a crisis not to be wasted for small business.
Speaker 2: Since the nineteen ninety we've really seen a trend towards increasing globalization, so transport costs were down. It's all about moving stuff the Internet. I mean the fact that you know on WhatsApp you can just have a conversation with someone wherever they are, and it's the same cost or virtually free rarely if you're outside of McDonald's WiFi. And who hasn't done that? So now we're going backwards, and I mean I find that, frankly quite scary for lots of reasons. More trade usually means fewer wars, but you now have to we're in a completely different era, and I'm not sure how some more businesses shouldn't really navigate that.
Speaker 13: I think it's so You're right, it does feel like we're going backwards. I think as I reflect on it, it's really that we're living in parallel universes. Yeah, because we are in the age of globalization. I mean, look at your earlier interview about content and YouTube and social media, right, we are kind of literally a device away from someone in any part of the globe. However, at the same time, from a politics trade perspective, from leader's perspective, I think a number of countries are starting to protect their own territory. And if you think about even the US, that's what's happening. It's kind of all in the name of protecting the US and making America great again. And it does also force us to be a bit insulated in our view of like, oh, actually, what are the opportunities in South Africa, what are the opportunities in satik in Africa? Whilst still being super connected. And I think the balance that we need to strike is how do we leverage the globalized toolbox in order to be super efficient and competitive in our home base, which is the African continent. If we can manage to straddle those two extremes and live in those two parallel universes, I think that's where the magic is for small businesses.
Speaker 2: In the end, it's a bit like our country. We're all crying and screaming and look at us. If our economy was stronger and it hasn't grown we were talking earlier since twenty ten, then we wouldn't really be in this position. If you're running a small business, you need to crack the local market. It actually needs to be a well run, efficient, to organize, sustainable local business to sort of survive these difficult times.
Speaker 6: One hundred percent.
Speaker 13: And I think it's maybe a blessing in a curse is if you can build a business in South Africa and make it tick and make it work, you could probably build a business anyway, right, So I really think that's the challenge, and like you say, we've got to get really sharp in how small businesses focus on opportunities, are super efficient leverage the technologies and other global advances that are at our disposal whilst still solving for local problems, because I don't think you're going to find another place that has more problems ripe to be solved with some of the technology that's available to us as a toolbox.
Speaker 2: And that's really the ask. Thank you so much for coming in some corbo vulba is the entrepreneur and business strategist really do appreciate it. Small business focus tonight.
Speaker 14: The Money Show Investment School.
Speaker 2: Well, one of the big story of the last sort of few months has been what's happening with commodities. Gold in particular has broken record after record. Then we've seen platinum suddenly, almost out of nowhere, suddenly start to do a lot better than it has been doing, mainly not for any particular market reason, but some people suddenly realized there was a deficit of platinum copper. Of course, the latest this week there was a reason for that, and Trump's threat of a fifty percent import tariff on imports of copper into the United States. So what role should commodities play in your investment portfolio? If any, Vincent Anthony Rogers, the CEO and co founder at Differential Capital, and David Shapiro's the stockbroker and chief global equity strategist at Sassin gentlemen are ready to appreciate the time. Thanks so much for coming in. David. Let me start with you how much I mean, how do you even start with commodities when we see the cycles, and particularly recently, can swing so strongly one way or another.
Speaker 15: Stephen, that's a problem with gold. The fact that we're talking about it now is probably too late. You know, we should have we should have bought the gold when when, when nobody wanted it, which can be a ten year cycle. You know, that's that's gold. You can wait for ten years before you finally get your kind of returns, and it's usually in times of stress. And we can talk about what's caused the gold price to go up and also discuss whether it's you believe it's going to continue. So it's one of those assets, it's a fair asset. It's something people buy when they feel things are going to go wrong, or it's going to collapse, but it's for years people have bought them, particularly in the Europeans and also South Africans have always had a little bit of gold in their portfolios. But commodities can be very, very tricky to deal. It's always best best left to the professionals.
Speaker 2: Vincent. Why do commodities have such cycles? I mean, that's the way that markets work, But it says something maybe just about how the globe economies work, global economy works, that we have such cycles of commodities.
Speaker 14: Well, if we split commodities up into like the main types, your mining commodities and your soft commodities, I think with mining commodities they tend to be more cyclical simply because it takes a long time to build a mine, and often during that time, demand can either move in one direction or the other. And typically what happens is miners start their capex cycles too late. And as you can see now, which is probably going to be the case with the platinum industry, where we're probably years away from adding new supply, you could find that if demand just tilts in a certain direction marginally, it ends up squeezing the price dramatically. But I guess that's just how you stimulate new new supply. When it comes to the soft commodities like you know, corn and maize and things like that, that's that's slightly different. You know, they have much shorter cycles linked to weather, linked to Avian flu and things like that, So you know, the different ranges for the two types.
Speaker 2: David, I'm surprised after all of this time there are still surprises. So the sort of gold supercycle that we're seeing now, I think very few people saw coming. Maybe someone could have predicted what was happening in the States, maybe if you had predicted Russia's invasion of Ukraine. But what's really driving it, though is central bank buying of gold, and that's a harder thing to sort of see. But this is a kind of supercycle that no one saw coming in is that a risk and a little bit of a blessing? Maybe, Well, no one saw.
Speaker 15: It coming because no one expected Russia to invade Ukraine. And I think what probably triggered that is that America's reaction was to freeze Russia's assets, and I think other central bank said hold on a sick you know, and there's a lot of rogue states around the world. There a lot of people who fear that this could happen to them, and we started to see the shift out of the dollar, you know, out of the clutches of the United States, into other assets, gold of course being one of them, and that's continued. I also think there was a desire to break away from you know, the control of the United States, control of the dollar, and that cycle's continued, you know, for now and now for two years plus, and gold has literally gone up. Stephen is there's something that I must I must mention as well. They're just two things very quickly. I won't go into detail, but you know, if you if you go to a bank and you want to be their top client, what card do they give you? They give you a platinum card. Okay, yes, and platinum is now only it's a third the price of gold. They should give you a gold card. But that tells you how gold has moved against platinum because platinum traditionally has always been more expensive than gold. And I think there's a bit of a catch up coming now. People have just understood, you know, this this this gap or this deficit, and should from gold to platinum. I think the other thing and just talking to what Vincent says, there's a big difference between dealing in the producers and dealing in the metal. Now, for most of our life I spent on the stock change. We dealt in gold mines, not gold commodity. And that's a whole different dynamic the mining the profitability of minds, you know, the efficiency of minds at whatever price, versus the actual underlying commodities as well. So there are two different markets there that you know, we can talk about.
Speaker 2: Well, I was going to ask that because that's one of the big questions, isn't it, Vincent, Do you invest in the mine? I mean, Harmony is a great example of a mine that share price is just shot up through all of this, Or do you invest in gold? And obviously even a mine in a boom time can make a mistake. On the other hand, you might get a better return over time.
Speaker 14: Well, with gold producers and miners, that's been quite difficult over the last fifteen years, simply because it's the rate or the costs of mine have risen far faster than even the gold price has until until very recently. And so that's the key question is whether the goal price here sustainable. If it is, and it hangs around here and perhaps you know, goes a little bit higher. These gold stocks aren't on very expensive multiples, and some of them do have reserves that are quite long, so you can you can possibly see.
Speaker 5: Them being.
Speaker 14: Becoming more expensive. That's on the goal side. Perhaps it's also worth talking about, you know, the platinum stocks, because that's something that's really interesting because to David's point, I think with gold, we know that the drivers, as you know, central banks, there's there's there's some secular trend there. But in the case of platinum stocks, what what is potentially interesting is that there is a you know, a fundamental driver, which is, you know, perhaps electrical vehicle take up is not going to be as quick as people thought, or might not even have the penetration that people expected. And the alternative, which is you know, hybrid cars, which actually consume far higher amounts of platinum, become sort of the neutral ground in which the world market settles on for you know, and in the quest for lower emissions. And we now have a situation, a situation where in South Africa, and you know, I guess to Russia to some extent, where you've got large reserves but no one has really spent the last five years trying to expand supply, so you could you could see companies that have large reserves be seen as call options on potentially a massive spike in in platinum group metals. So so you know, that could be an interesting sector to watch.
Speaker 2: One of the other things in Vincent you were talking about sort of softer commodity, so food agricultural products, and David, I would like to think that if you're looking for something that's pretty stable over time, we're always going to need to eat right, and you would think that that might be a food production company, agricultural produce or whatever it is, might be something you need to keep a few shares in just because no matter what happens, that demand's not going to go well.
Speaker 15: If it flies or grows, just leave it alone. You know it grows in the ground. That's not always it. Leave chickens alone and flies like a chicken, Leave it alone. Those kind of commodities, food commodities. That's honestly, that is such an incredibly difficult area because there you're subject to changes in weather and you know, globally people grow wheat and you'll find it if one country goes through a bit of a tough time, the price goes up and so on. I find that it's really something that when I say professionals, people who are really close to that kind of industry should get involved with farmers for example, but not you and me or just the common or invests a very very difficult area the one. If you want to add to the area of difficulty, we can bring in oil as well. You know, if you really want to get punished or punish yourself. Tart trade oil so exceptionally difficult.
Speaker 2: To read it. Yeah, No, it's fascinating, I suppose, vincent. I mean the other role. The other question we would ask is is there I mean, is it better to have a portfolio with no commodities in it at all? You know, we've spoken in the past about investing in gold and why you would do that and why you wouldn't do that. There's no there's no dividend for a start, But what did it actually be better on balance to just leave them all alone, Especially when you see the volatility that we've seen quite recently and with Trump and the White House, that volatility is going to be there for a while.
Speaker 14: I think if you can afford to stomach some volatility and you've got a longer term investment horizon. I think it would be unwise not to have commodity exposure. And for me, you know, I'll go back to those those secular things. So if we can look at I mean, you know, David's spoken very well about the Central Bank and gold, but if I could talk about a few other sort of off peaced commodities like copper. So in the case of copper, we're starting to see a material divergence. You know, out say, over the last thirty years, there's been a bin big link to building construction and copper demand, you know, copper piping and things like that. That relationship is actually broken down recently, and that's because of the rise of let's call it the middle class in many parts of the world, as well as developed countries in the world consuming far much more electricity due to AI, which is a secular trend. There is no element that conducts better than copper. You can use aluminium potentially as a substitute, but that's required you know, three or four times the amount, so that you know, both of those metals are things where you know, over the long term again, and they offered in form of ETFs. If you look at the copper, the rand copper price, it's actually quite as stable, not as volatile as gold and then the others, and that trend over the long term actually substantially beats inflation and you can get you know, ETFs to to to physical copper. I also think it's you know, quite a few of the producers as well are worth worth a look. So so you know, I think if you've got a longer term view, I think you should you should have a have a serious look at it. And to David's point, you know, perhaps you know, look at specialists that can can invest that for you in in commodities.
Speaker 2: He's being too Vincent Anthony Raja this evening, the CEO and co founder A Differential Capital, David Shapiros, you know, of course, the stockbroker, chief global equity strategist at Sasmen. We're talking about investing in commodities on Investments School tonight kind of the right time to do it when you consider everything that's happening around the world. You're with the Money Show, the Money Show Investment School. Vincent Anthony Raja's CEO and founder A Differential Capital, David Shapiro is veterans, stockbroker and chief Global Equity Strategists Assessment on Investment School tonight, talking of course around commodities. I mean, David, when we talk about cycles and we talk about gold, for example, at some point, if you're going to raise any return, you need to know when to sell, and you're as always trying to sort of predict the future. We had a kind of moment where maybe you start to have that conversation with whoever, is it now the point at gold that we need to sell? Is it now at the time where we need to sell some gold and buy some more platinum for example.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 15: The fact that we're talking about it now, that it's become such a hot subject, I think you'll normally find that that's the time that it starts to lose momentum. And I wouldn't be surprised if we've seen the peak in both of those. I like Vincent's view on copper, and I like the view that you know, the expansion of AI of data centers and that is going to require a huge amount of electricity. I don't even think we can underst stand how much power is going to be needed, which is going to increase the need for a commodity for base metals, for industrial metals. So and the other thing is, I think we're going into a cycle where interest rates are going to start coming down in the United States quite quite dramatically, and that's going to take a lot of the you know, the what's with the glow off gold as well. I know that people will say, oh, well, it's going to increase it, but the deficit in the United States, panic and so on. But I would my own view is I think we've seen the top of gold. It might not fall in a heap, but I think it's going to struggle to kind of get a lot higher from you know, from the levels that we've seen. So this is kind of for me peak gold, Vince Adam not not not not not a common view not you know, you're going to find the gold bulls phoning in and sending hate mail and so on.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure they have you already, David from you know the Last time. Vincent is the other other commodities that people are looking at at the moment. I mean, everyone's talking about rare earths. Wherever you go, there's a racist story about rare earth's and Trump.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I I also like the rare earths for similar reasons that I like copper for So, if you think about a mineral like neodymium, it's a weird thing. They call them rare earths, but they're actually quite common, but it's it's hard to find them in concentrations enough that you can mind them profitably. You take a metal like an element like neodymium, it's critical to make magnets for electric car vehicles. China produces probably eighty percent of the world supply. So there are some some interesting ETFs that you can get access to that have you know, can that can give you exposure to those And I think that that, again is a secular trend that one has to watch very carefully. Maybe just to add on to to what David was saying, you know, this electricity consumption trend. Besides copper, there's there's a nexus around that which includes surprise, surprise, coal because even in countries like China where they're building a huge amount of solar, there's still a big, big, big amount of coal that they're still continuing to consume. And then the other one, which is a pet favorite of mine, is uranium, which you know, I think nuclear is probably in the in the very long term, probably the most stable low emission power source that we can use. And as it becomes safer, and now that the technology has evolved too, you can make these what they call small module reactors. As that technology gets rolled out, I think the demand for uranium could increase quite substantially. And that's also not the most common mineral around. So there's again interesting listed companies, but as well as ETFs that can give you exposure to that.
Speaker 2: David. When it comes to commodities like this, I suppose what you're looking for are things that you know are going to be needed in the future and yet will be quite scarce. I mean, that's the platinum story. At the moment. Gold output in a slightly different category, but that's certainly the platinum story, the rare earth story, the copper story very much. So you've got to look for examples of where you know they will be demand in the future and as they become more and more scarce, or let me put this another way, are in areas that are harder to mine, then actually that's the place to put your money. I would think if you're going to get into the space.
Speaker 15: In theory is in practice, we find it doesn't really happen. And that's a difficulty with commodities, and that it is such a specialist world and run by people who are very very close to those markets. From a common point of view, I try and avoid them. It's leave it to the professionals. And I say this with the best of intentions. It is so difficult, you know, to understand. And I have to tell Vincent a story. You know, my dad, for my ba Mitzvah, he took my money and he bought an uranium company. Remember my dad was on the market as well, a big gold trader, and he bought me with my bu mitzver money a uranium company called Dominion Reef. And every morning, every evening when I was on the front lawn playing and the star would come up and go look at the pass of Dominion Reef. And one day I looked it wasn't there? Is it gone?
Speaker 13: You know?
Speaker 6: I finished, and that's uranium.
Speaker 15: It's ever since I've been on the market, and that we've always been talking about uranium, and it's never really you know, it never really featured and reached the kind of levels that we thought. But I'm not taking away from the view that we're going to need it. A nuclear could be another fuel, but uranium is such it's probably more difficult than anything else we've spoken about tonight.
Speaker 2: Sure, interesting, I mean I'm still stuck on the start. But because I mean I also grew up in that kind of how so much has changed, I didn't look at the share price though, Vincide. We forget, of course, in our country how important commodities have been, I mean essentially formed it, you know, in some ways. And that still then has an impact. So of course if we go through a time where platinum and gold are very strong, that must have an impact on all of our lives, just because we're in South Africa.
Speaker 14: Yeah, A simple example is when platinum, gold, coal, whatever it is, the prices rise substantially. Remember these companies pay huge royalties to the government. So simple thing is you won't see that increases when we see commodity prices rising, you know quickly. And you know, I grew up in a small town called brits which so I've lived commodity cycles, you know, through boom and bust, and you could you can literally see the impact of rising platinum prices on the economy around you. People getting jobs, you know, opening up small businesses, and then they start to shutter on the other side of it. So I suppose South Africa is interesting in that we're not that disconnected, you know. I know, platinum and gold small contributors directly to GDP, but indirectly it's quite substantial. And so that's important thing to remember in the South African case. And I suppose that's where there's a it's important to realize how you diversify. You know, sometimes you might find that investing in the banker that funds the platinum companies just the bad ideas, you know, investing all of your money in in in one place. So it's important thing to to to remember and it's a key driver of our our economy.
Speaker 2: Vincent Antony Racha, thank you so much. See you and co founder a Differential Capital, Thanks so much for coming in. David Shapira, always our joy to talk to you. Ready to appreciate the time. Thank you the veteran stockbroker, stockbroker and chief Global equity Strategists at SASSIN.
Speaker 10: The Money Show with Steven Crotes is brought to you by Absolute Corporate and Investment Bank crowd sponsor of the app Can Blockchain Report twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Well, of course, US markets open and beginning to trade positive now, partly because Delta Airlines they had such a bullish update. They're predicting quite strong earnings over the next quarter or so for various reasons. As a result that dal Jones is up point six percent, the nastacap point one four, and the S and P five hundred up point three to five. The story still, of course around Nvidia, the huge amounts of money that go into their valuation. The other story that Bloomberg report we referenced earlier around how one person is being offered a salary of two hundred million dollars just to leave Apple and go to Meta. It is astonishing what we're seeing happening in terms of global markets when it comes to artificial intelligence. We'll be back with you tomorrow. Good evening, it's eight o'clock