Speaker 1: Join the conversation email popahat kpetalk dot co DOTZLA. Let's finish with some music, and today we're featuring a local singer who has relocated to the UK and really reinvented herself as she chases her dream of a music career. These days, she's using the underground drum and bass scene in the UK as inspiration for her music. Melu a South African who started out her musical journey here at home in South Africa, but as I said, these days is based in the UK and we're going to share her new single with you in a moment or two. But first let's say a quicker low because she's joining us by a zoom. Great to have you on the show this afternoon.
Speaker 2: Hi Papa, thank you so much for having me. It's so shy to be here.
Speaker 1: Tell us a little bit about your journey and what has led you to this point and this place in your life.
Speaker 2: It's been crimeor journey. I've been in a few bands, I've done various kind of solo project works, but this is the first time I feel like I've had a project that fuses. I feel like all the parts of my own personality that I haven't been able to do before, so it's kind of this renownding space for me to embody all of those things in music for the first time. So I'm just really really excited. And also just this show. I have to say being on the show is actually quite surreal for me because I've listened to you in your show so much.
Speaker 1: I'm well glad we could make that pop for you. I mean, the decision to move to the UK not an easy one to make, to leave home and go and forwarde a path elsewhere. What's it been like for you? How are you finding the experience over there?
Speaker 2: So I was touring. I started being in the UK a lot more because of touring and opening for bands, so that's sort of the main reason I was based out of the UK the last couple of years. But now I'm also a lot more just everywhere. I don't really see that I have a base as much currently, Like I'm currently in a visa and I was in the US recently, so I'm missing home quite a bit. But the UK also just I guess it was a trigger because I got invited to do a few opening tours, which sort of is the reason I started media project in the first place, because I wanted to write music that was catered for both having a bit more fun and having that depth, and also for these bigger audiences I was going to be able to play.
Speaker 1: Okay, now we get to share the new song called slow Burner with our audience today. Tell us a little bit more about the inspiration and then the process of creating this piece.
Speaker 2: So slow Burner is the first of my Melu songs coming out. I have about twelve that are in the running ready to go. And it was this combination of finally finding a way to make folk fun for myself. I'm a huge folk fanatic, especially when it comes to like the sixties and seventies. And yeah, it was this amazing just it was written kind of within a few hours and a blend and with my friend raf Or his name is Rafa Prod and he's an amazing producer, and we were recording the folk song playing with and obviously we've been listening to a lot of drum and bass and a lot of these festivals drum and bassed and I do enjoy your own bass, but I yeah, it kind of all of a sudden just clicked. We were playing live drum and based folk music, and then that is how Melu was born.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm looking forward to hearing it and sharing it with our audience. Delighted to know that there are another eleven or more to come. So if they're like what they hear Melu, where do we send them to find more? To explore your music catalog and to keep an eye out for future releases.
Speaker 2: I'm all over the socials that it's Melu Music, so m E E l U music all my handles and obviously on all the streaming platforms, so yeah, people can keep an eye out there for all the new ones to come.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for squeezing in the time to chat to us in what sounds like a very busy diary right now. Meliu, all the best to you, and we'll look forward to hearing all the other new songs still to come, but for now, a great pleasure to be able to share the breakthrough slow Burner with our audience. All the best to you.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, great with us.
Speaker 1: She's at Melu Music m double E lu Music and this is the new track called slow Burner. Her name is Melu spelled m W E l U. Look for her on socials at Melu Music. That was the new track called slow Burner.