Speaker 1: The Money Show with Steve.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Let's talk uncertainty now. The Northwest University Business Schools Policy Uncertainty Index moderating a little in the second quarter from the record high in the first quarter, mainly, I suppose, because the first quarter was dominated by Trump and tariffs, and you remember how scary all of that time was. Professor Raymond Parsons is the person who helps to put the index together, an economists at the university or at Northwest University's Business School. Almond, A good evening. I mean, so much has happened over the last few months. I suppose it's easy to forget just how unsettled, how uncertain the first quarter of the year was. But what changed from the first quarter to the second quarter?
Speaker 2: Oh, good evening, Stephen. And as you're right you say the first quarter is the benchmark, because that was the record high for our policy Uncertainty index over the nine years that we have been in fact trying to see what's the level of uncertainty has been in our economy. So the two major factors, firstly external, as you rightly say, was the shock, the first round of shocks of the tariff which were announced by the White House. But internally, Remember also in that quarter, the first quarter, we had the uncertainty around the first time that a South African budget was not introduced on the day in which it was scheduled and would be postponed, and as we know what happened over the second and the third rounds of that budget. So that explained the high record level of the p UI in the first quarter. But in the second quarter there's been obviously some easing, some changes in the tariff approach. We are looking now to the ninth of July for the next deadline, so several of those tariffs have been suspended until now all of them, so they're still a big cloud of uncertainty. And secondly, of course internally there have been both positive and negative factors, but on balance the total impact has been to say, yes, there's been an easing from the record level, but the level of policy uncertainty is still well in negative territory and is an issue that we need to address. And I say that with this caveat the external factors, there's not much that a small open economy can do about them.
Speaker 1: That has to.
Speaker 2: Respond to them, and it responds partly by addressing the factors over which it has control, namely internally, and in that process also builds some resilience in order to deal with any external shocks. So that's where we are now with the level of our policy uncertainty index.
Speaker 1: The sort of what happened towards the end of last week and over the weekend, the sort of moment where it looked like maybe the da you would pull out of the coalition government over the firing of Andrew Whitfield, I mean, has become a big story. I suspect it might rumble on for a while, but it seems to me that we can have quite a lot of uncertainty coming out of our politics still for quite a while, despite the fact everybody was so happy after the election, well, the business community was.
Speaker 2: Well, Stephen, I think a big picture is that if you're a business decision maker, you're probably saying to yourself, are we into a new normal of uncertainty or are we into a new abnormal of uncertainty. I don't think we quite know, given both the external and the internal factors. I would just make two points before I get onto your specific question, that what the data is telling us the economic data, and this is reflected to some extent in the PUI is that this economy is an incipient upturn which is battling to try and maintain momentum. We are battling, and you can see that in the reduced forecasts of growth, which are now down to about one percent for this year. We know that's not good enough, and we know what we need to do in order to create a more favorable in climate in order to engender the economic activity and the investment that we need. On the political side, it's clear that the markets and business want the GNU to succeed. They understand there will be hiccups, there will be tensions, and obviously we add news for the economy if the GNU was in any way to collapse. But the important point now is that from a business point of view, which is not party political, they simply say, if you want us to invest, if you want to growth more than one percent, you must offer us political stability and some degree of policy certainty that we in business who have to undertake big investments will know where we stand over the next few years in terms of the commitments we need to make. We can give the decision makers on the investment site that sort of assurance, and we can build on what we are trying to do in terms of accelerating reforms, getting the infrastructure spending translated into tangible projects on the ground, then we can do better. But the big message of the PUI is we're not there, and this economy is at the moment struggling to gain momentum to even reach the one percent growth for this year.
Speaker 1: The Trump factor in some ways, I mean, I'm sure you've heard the phrase at Tacko Trump always chickens out that things are never as bad as they sound. Could he have lost a little bit of his bite in some ways because people kind of know now that he's not going to do what he says he's going to do, He's going to do something a little less than that.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's true, but it's combined with a very erratic approach. And this is the big problem that I think many decision makers and indeed the foreign policy experts has to grapple with. Yes, some cakes, they may be the bark is worse than the bite, but embodied in that is a huge level of unpredictability. You simply don't know. Take the Canadians, they thought they were working out something in the last few days with the United States. Now overnight, suddenly the White Houses said, no, we're going to take a retalient reaction because of some action you take. So this whole uncertainty around the fact that the rules based system has been abandoned, that it could easily generate into a beggar your neighbor policy. You simply don't know where you stand. So the important point from an external point of view is you will have to develop internal your internal policies to be able to cushion you against some of this uncertainty. But from the South African point of view, the important issue is there are factors under our control that can make a difference to economic performance. And so those external issues over which we can exercise very little control except to react or respond to them, we've got to say, what is the unfinished business of the GNU agenda that will give us the impetus, the acceleration, the push that we need to translate what we've said we are going to do into a much better economic performance underpin by the investor confidence that we need, and in that process reduce the policy uncertainty which has bedeviled so many of the investment plans that we've heard about in the past.
Speaker 1: Professor Raymond Parsons, thank you very much. Indeed, from Northwest University's Business School,