Speaker 1: Weekend breakfast with Sarah Jane Marguala King on Talk on cat Talk. All right, then let's start with our top picks for this Saturday. And if you couldn't get up to any Mandela things today, then there's still a chance to contribute today with your sixty seven minutes, join the Two Oceans Aquarium and Cape Talk at Sunset Beach for a winter trash bash beach cleanup. It starts at nine o'clock. It's running until eleven and our very own Zane Johnson will be there and he sent us this voice note with the details.
Speaker 2: It's a very good morning to you, Sarah Jane, and once again it is time for our trash bash. Together with the Two Ocean Seaquarium and with Cape Talk, we will be trash bashing the beach out at Sunset Beach and that's out in the Moniton area earlier this morning at about nine o'clock. Now, a plastic pollution is something that is very very prevalent around the Cape Coast and the Two Oceans Aquarian frequently disentangled Cape first seals insnalled by plastic cords, cables, ropes, and discarded fishing gear. Seabirds also get caught up with fishing line and plastic cords. And then they also regularly rescue turcles that have been ingesting plastic or being entangled in discarded fishing gear. Some estimates say that by twenty fifty there will be more plastic by weight than fish in the ocean. And this is what we need to prevent. It's that sense of getting involved. Getting down here to Sunset Beach at about nine o'clock this morning and together with the two Ocean Saquarium and Cape Talk five six seven, we'll be doing a trash pash. Now, last time we were out at a trash pash, we found a discarded tire, We found a dovey cover that was discarded on the beach, and also a number of smaller minor plastics which also come down from our rivers and our estuaries into the ocean, such as earbuds, a number of other things that are discarded, needles, and quite a few other things that you find on the beach, plastic packets of chips. These are all single use plastics and are not biodegradable, and instead of forming part of the natural system again, plastic breaks up infinitely and a single use water bottle will break into smaller pieces and those smaller pieces will then be ingested by marine life. Make sure that you come down to Sunset Beach this morning at nine o'clock and make sure that you bring the children along with because it is their heritage that we should be living and the legacy that we should be fulfilling, and bring them along at school holidays. I'd love to see everybody down there this morning. That's nine o'clock at Sunset Beach, together with the Two Oceans Aquarium and of course Cape Talk. You don't have to bring along with anything, just a couple of very comfortable walking shoes along the beach or a couple of wellys. We'll give you a plastic bag. We'll even give you the gloves to make sure that you are safe. And that is our trash besh with the Two Oceans Aquerium at nine o'clock at Sunseeed Beach this morning.
Speaker 1: Thanks very much. Indeed, Zaane, there you are. If you want to get out into nature this morning and do your bit for Mandela Day, then go and catch up with Saint Johnson at Sunset Beach and join the Two Oceans Aquarium and Cape Talk for our winter trash bash, beach cleanup all right until the second of August, which is two Saturday's time, you can catch Unruly at the Baxter Studio. It delves into baboon politics, which divides a community seeking answers, and theater makers say it explores how we can understand the issue from multiple perspectives, painting in the process a rich picture of the Cape Peninsula's complex history and shared ecology of mountain, ocean, urban and military environments. Joining me on the line to give us more details is the director of Unruly, Neil Coppin. Very good morning to Neil, and thanks so much for joining us. Now that the play is based on an awful lot of academic and also creative research, tell us a little bit more.
Speaker 3: Well, We run a company called the Amphitheater and it is a research unit as much as a theater company. So we do up to three four years of research before we begin to devise theater out of the research. And we believe, you know, what's the point of doing all this research if it can't be shared back with the communities that has emerged from and be used to kind of create constructive, more empathetic dialogue with one another. So we use theater in quite a strategic way. And then the research we do was done in collaboration with the Stockholm University the Resilient Center that we're doing a survey at the time and wanted to use theater to help kind of articulate the findings back to communities in the South Peninsula. But we also as a company to our own research into historic archives. We look at the mythology years of the area. How you know, baboons are obviously behind this place, so we go deep into how do South Africans understand these creatures? What are our kind of belief systems around him? So it's a very kind of complex and comprehensive research process before we begin to devise a story to share back with people. And and really as a result of that.
Speaker 1: And theatre luminary Andrew bucklans Stars of course once it been like working working with Andrew on the piece.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think I, like hundreds of different theater makers and performers around this country have been grown up watching Andrew and have been so deeply influenced by buyers work in his storytelling. So I was nine years old when I first met him. I was selling programs at a Grand SUSI too sober, and I first saw this man on stage and obviously was in all way ever since. So the chance to finally get to collaborate with him in my old aide and you know, Andrew's been very involved in the research, not just as an actor, but sof and I see it to make it so we're rarely over the last three or four years journey together on the story in a way that's also forms the most beautiful friendship. And I admire him so much, and obviously in such a complex if you like this, to have a former that has so much humanity and empathy for all perspectives, I think it's a very important starting point. And he's he's just a joy and a friend, and I think, you know, I've just been so moved to see wherever we perform, the amounts of people that come up to him and say, you changed my life. When I was growing up, I had a picture of you on my walls with you know, I went into theater because of you. He's had such a huge impact on so many to africans lives.
Speaker 1: And of course there's a musical element to the show. Courtesy of Chantelle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Chanta Willie Peterson is the most extraordinary double basis. And we wrote a double bass into the story and a character that played it, and we searched the country for you know, it needed to be a very particular character, and we found Chantelle and obviously sometimes well known, she's just extraordinary. She's plays with Erica Badoo and Stevie Wonder and just have the most rich musical life. And to have it on stage accompanying Andrew with the double bass as such a such a beautiful form of storytelling. It's not a one man show. It's definitely a two person using music as a kind of response as a character in itself.
Speaker 1: Neil, what are you hoping that people take away from the play?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, you know, looking at the situation on the ground, and I think everyone has a kind of fatigue around it because it's been so ongoing, humans interacting with the boons. How do we learn to live with each other and coexist? What are the answers? You know, everyone's searching answers. And I think this is a kind of microcosm of a much much bigger questions we as humans face into the future around how we live alongside not just other creatures, but each other. And I think the play rarely tries to unpack that and all its complexity that comes with that. You know, it's not trying to reduce it. It looks at, obviously the polar opposites that have emerged in this situation and all political situations of any sort. But I think it asked much bigger questions about how we live a community than you know, ask the questions who's unruly here? Is it the baboons or is it they're humans? And I think the play tries to propose much more provocative questions. It doesn't try to fit in the binary of the situation, but rarely get stuck into the murky in between parts that we don't like to talk about because they make us perhaps a little more uncomfortable or cause us to have to force force us to shift our position of it. And I think we don't like shifting positions that we hold on something, And the play really asked us to empathetically step into very different perspectives and try to form kind of much more compassionate response to each other and the other creatures that we live alongside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, I always think that's there to such a remarkable vehicle for that, for easing people into the discomfort and being confronting in a way that means they can't get up and walk out. Essentially, Neil, good to have you with us this morning, Thanks very much. Indeed, folks, you can get your tickets via web tickets. It's for fourteen years and older. Tickets are two hundred and forty rand. Performances on Tuesday to Saturday at eight o'clock and then a Saturday performance at hof Post two. And you can get in touch with the Yeah with a theater directly for block bookings or school bookings that is unruly at the Baxter Studio. And then finally tomorrow you can meditate over tea in a traditional Chinese tea ceremony which is being hosted at Zen Studio in Yeska's tea house in hout Bay. How can you get in touch with her? Well, cuickt one hundred and eighty rand or three hundred and fifty round for a couple. And yeah, it's a weekly meditation over tea and it's happening at the Zens Studio in hout Bake