Speaker 1: The conversation email Popah at CapeTalk dot co dotza.
Speaker 2: Let's finish with some music, and today we welcome back an artist we first spoke to on the show at the beginning of last year when she was just sixteen years old. You may recall she had to pop out of her school classroom to come and talk to us. Well, we've timed it better this time round. It is still school holiday, so we're not pulling her out of class today. Lee Devilliers is though still at school. She's better known by her a stage name of Lovely and has just released a new single called Broke Me, which we are going to play for you this afternoon. First though, let's say, oh, welcome back to Cape Talk and it's lovely to catch up with you again.
Speaker 1: Lee. Thank you so much for having me again. It's finished in a while.
Speaker 2: I know it feels like just yesterday we were dragging you out of the classroom. Lovely, you in metric this year, and I know you've already released three songs.
Speaker 1: How on earth are.
Speaker 2: You managing to do it all to keep up with your studies and still keep on recording music.
Speaker 1: It has been crazy in the beginning. It wasn't that bad, but when term two it was insane. I was late nights not to be very much. But this holiday has definitely done me some good and the music is going to slow down a lit of it here for finals, because obviously education does have to take a bit of a forefront now. But yeah, it has been busy.
Speaker 2: But it has also been very fulfilling, and is the plan to keep on with the music after the exams are done. What you're thinking around next year and.
Speaker 1: Beyond it definitely is music is definitely my focus, although my parents are more like, okay, let's just get a degree. Let's have something to fall back on, as it is a very difficult industry. So I'm probably going to go study marketing, which will therefore also help me with the music. It's kind of like a double wheremy you get the degree and you can also help yourself with the career that I want to do, which is for music.
Speaker 2: It makes a lot of sense. Those skills are going to stand you in very good state in terms of promoting your music. It's been created in future, so I think your folks are probably onto something. They're in guiding you in that direction. For the record, sure, let's talk a little bit about the sort of the subject matter of the current music. I know that you've said that a lot of what you're creating at the moment is intended for those who are struggling with their mental health. We know that it's something that the youth of today are really battling with. We keep on and on hearing about the growth in mental health issues in the younger generations. Is that why it means so much to you to focus on the subject material? Why does it resonate so with you?
Speaker 1: It resonates me because it probably sounds a bit generic, but mental health has been a very big thing in my life personally since a young age, and your music, cliche enough as it is, music was the thing that got me through. So it kind of feels like a sort of a guty to give that to someone else as well and fill the gap of the topic and stuff they're not spoke about when I was struggling kind of thing, and then actually be the person who actually talks about it, because so many people when it comes to mental health, they kind of they talk about it, but they don't really talk about it. They take the long way, most vague way to talk about it because they don't want to hurt any feelings or they don't want to get too touchy or too close to those delicate conversations. And I really just want to pinpoint it in a way that makes people actually feel heard, because you can talk to anyone about mental health, but if you don't talk about the specific stuff, they're not really going to feel like heard.
Speaker 2: And yeah, well let's talk about the specific stuff. Have Broke Me, which is the name of the new song before we play out the show with the tune lovely, do you want to just tell us a little bit more about what inspired it?
Speaker 1: Sure Broke Me is just capturing the intense emotions of a breakup, especially the first breakup. I feel for everyone, the first wife always the worst because you don't know what to expect, so all of a sudden, there's all these emotions and you don't know what to do with it, and you have to navigate that. And also it broke me. While I was writing it, I was obviously crying. It was written in like maybe an hour, because that was right after the breakup. I wrote a song, So yeah, while I was writing it, I also realized all these things that you look past all these like little mistakes or little things that they did that kind of put you off, but you didn't say anything because you were like so in love and infatuated about this person. And then later on you realize, damn, I really shouldn't have actually looked past those things because those are the little things that eventually broke it in the end, And that's where it broke me came from and just feeling totally shattered in pieces, and yeah, it's really just the deep dive into those horrible feelings you feel when you've just been broken up with.
Speaker 2: I'm really sorry you went through that, But can I just say what sweet revenge to take all of those feelings and turn them into a wonderful song that gets to be played on the radio. I can't wait think of a bet away of taking the lemons and making lemonade lovely. We're going to play out the show with your new track. If our listeners like what they're here, remind us where they should be following you to keep an eye for more of your music.
Speaker 1: Yes, so you can find me on Facebook, TikTok, Instagram, YouTube, anywhere. I'm probably there, Spotify as well as Apple Music and all those major streaming platforms at Lovely, which is l u V L e I g H.
Speaker 2: Well, all the best for the big finals that loom not too far from now, Lovely, and look forward to hearing more music from you on the other side of them. For now, though, we say goodbye from our show with the new track called Broke Me Allow Me a Dan.
Speaker 1: It was bad man,