Speaker 1: Right twenty one minutes past three. The City of Johannesburg now has a new speaker. I refer to all of this a little bit before as musical chairs. If people are not familiar with the game, it's usually played by children at parties, and the music plays and the kids move around chairs or whatever it is, and when the music stops you have to stop. That is all harmless fun. I would humbly suggest that the constant changing of significant positions in the executive of running the largest metro and the biggest economic hub in the country is not harmless fun at all. It doesn't seem to me to achieve anything productive at all. Nevertheless, we do have a new speaker, and that is Margaret Arnold's. She was until recently MMC for Finance. It's not a position she held for particularly long, and by the way, she was formerly for a while also the speaker of the House. I guess we will be looking or hearing about because nobody's asked us for our views, so to say we're looking is really missing the point. But there will be a new MMC for Finance unless there is one already and I missed it. But somebody's not missing any of this is our EWN colleague to bisk over Tubby's so good afternoon. So Margaret Arnold's is now the new speaker. Was it convincing and does the margin of victory, if it was convincing, suggest we might have some stability at least for a while.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean the local government elections only next year, so the stability, the stability is only going to be for a year, for you end a few months. But the victory was convincing. John, Margaret Arnold's got one hundreds and thirty seven votes. She was up against the DA's Alex Christians who got sixty eight and the UDM who got five. Now, obviously Margaret Annolds was backed by the a n C lead coalition, which obviously features the ATM, the a C al JEMA and the Patriotic Alliance Market Arnold's John becomes the fifth speaker since the twenty twenty one local government elections. And and you know, as you're saying around those musical chase, I think you know we've seen all when you look at the mayors. We've also seen five mayors since the one local government elections. And I think it's interesting. I was only recently, at an event John with the former city manager, the mayor, the current mayor. Do the more is also there and the former city manager, mister Trevor Fowler, said that these constant changes of executive leadership.
Speaker 3: Yes, they bring up a decline.
Speaker 2: They sort of the hearts of the decline of Johannesburg because every time you change, you change a mayor, change a speaker, change someone in an executive they come in with a fresh new perspective, a fresh new agenda, and this obviously disrupts those people that fall under it the way they have to constantly adapt to the new person's new agenda and new mandates. And he says, you know, at some point we're going to have to have some sort of stability if Johannesburg is going to return to his glory days. I'm from Durban, so I don't know what the glory days for Chranspur look like.
Speaker 1: Well that's okay, some people might have forgotten them who've lived there all their lives, like me. But let me ask you this just in conclusion, Tubby, So do we have a new MMC for finance?
Speaker 3: So is that still to be settled? That's still to be settled.
Speaker 2: We don't expect that Margaret Arnold's is going to be both Speaker and MMC. She's likely going to resign. The mayor data Morero is out of the country, so obviously he will have to come back. There will be a coalition meeting and a new MMC for Finance will be appointed. We do obviously it's an appointment position, so obviously there won't be any sort of elections and will be appointed within the coalition agreement.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much, Tubby Goobe.
Speaker 1: I mean, honestly, really, I would like to know and if you want to argue with me and tell me I'm flat out wrong, people who are involved in any of the parties in the governing coalition. My distinct impression is that you've got a coalition that allows you to exercise power. Within that you then allocate various positions that are more have more to do with political balance and issues of political large ess than they do have anything to do with expertise and skills fit for purpose to run particular positions. I'm not saying for a minute that there may not be some competent people in the mix, but they don't seem to stay there and they don't seem to have enough competent people around them to actually make a difference to what needs doing in Joeburg.
Speaker 3: I'd love to be wrong.
Speaker 1: And if you want to come in and say I'm missing the point, I'm being unfair, trust me.
Speaker 3: I'm keen to here. But I want to hear an argument.
Speaker 1: I want to hear an argument that is bad up with some substance, please, so if you know where to get us, Oh, double one eight A three O seven O two looks like a hot mess to me.
Speaker 3: I'd love to be wrong. Twenty six minutes past three