Speaker 1: South Africans doing great things.
Speaker 2: Our well, our next interview that we're having a South African doing great things is doing exactly that. In his little corna He's about to do something really crazy, something I would never do, certainly, but something that is really admirable. And he is going to be climbing Mount Kilimanjaro.
Speaker 3: It's a I don't know if.
Speaker 2: Any of our listeners ever think of connecting the SPCA animals taking care of our animals and climbing Mount Kilimanjaro.
Speaker 3: He's going to show us the link.
Speaker 2: This evening, we've got Troy With's email with us, who's a part time kennel assistant at the SPCA Santon and he's a qualified game ranger, a lover of animals, and he is a nature enthusiast, joining us in studio this evening. Troy, good evening and welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Good evening, Homoso, and thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: This is quite a title, hey, part time kill assistant, qualified game ranger, animal lover, nature enthusiast and word just.
Speaker 3: All basically an amazing human being.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in studio this evening.
Speaker 5: I mean sometimes when I think about it and I tell my friends, I say, if it was a number of planets, how many times would I be time traveling now with the number of you know, jobs I've done and things like that. So it's been a quite exciting journey. But this one is the utmost exciting for me throughout all my career and more welfare, this one is the most exciting.
Speaker 3: And this one, you mean your work currently with.
Speaker 5: The SPCA, My work with the SPCA and climbing for Casula, climbing Mount Kilimanjaro for Casudi LA and fundraising for the Sentinis PCA, like all of that is just exciting for me a new fields. It makes me nervous at times, but you know I live to learn and I start to learn and to teach to educate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean climbing Mound Kilimanjaro is not a small thing. And I don't think you wake up one morning and you just decide I'm going to climb, But you're doing it for a really important cause, something that's close to your heart, and that is nature and animals.
Speaker 3: So speak to us about that.
Speaker 5: So it's a passion I discovered when I was quite young, you know, playing with playing like outside, watching ants. Do they think you know, watching National Geographic walking dogs when I was young, and actually it's it even reminds me of a story of how I met Stephanie because we used to be under the We used to have a crew, the Animal Kevin Crew. So we go around Alex. That's why I'm born, that's why I'm raised, go around Alex collecting injured dogs, collecting straight dogs, stray cats, injured cats, and then we would take them to the Sentinus. PCA would also keep an eye out for like animal cruelty, any form of cruelty, maybe like dogs that were chained for like a long time and haven't been given a chance to even go out. We would have an approach to like educate the owners, tell them the importance of walking a dog, the dog learning its surroundings. Why it's important to walk a dog because you know, it gets to know its surroundings. Yeah, it gets to leave marks, you know, through urine and things like that. So we would teach a lot of people about that, and not to be afraid of dogs, not to be afraid of cats, you know, like show them that if you don't understand something, that's where usually fear lurks. But when you grow to understand a certain animal and how you can relate to to it using your own characteristics like feeling. I mean they sentient beings, they feel like us, They show compassion, they show fear. These are all characteristics we also share. So we would do those kind of things around the township.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I love that.
Speaker 2: I mean, had you always had a love for animals or is it something you developed over time?
Speaker 4: Probably my past life. I was an animal myself.
Speaker 5: Who knows, but yeah, yeah, yeah, I've always loved animals from a young age. I've always been fascinated by them. Like I said, when I used to see them in TV, I'd ask my parents questions. I'd never miss National Geographic when it even used to play on a SAPC three when I was young, up until you know, we upgraded Enainey and we've got like DStv, so I could watch animals the whole time. So I would also go to the homelands and watchcows, watchcolds. They would even call me's and now call out and I just watch out. I was just fascinated about animals from there, the smallest to the biggest.
Speaker 2: That time running away, I'm like, what do you mean there's that yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yo, yeah, no, I understand what I understand what you mean. But yeah, I've always been passionate about animals, and as I grew up understood the more the passion that love just grew with me.
Speaker 3: So when did your relationship with the sand and the SPCA start.
Speaker 5: Apart from it being deeply apart from being deeply connected with it. From twenty twelve, I was involved with it a little. Like I said, we would report cruelty, would take animals there that were injured. Although when I met Stephanie in twenty twelve, and that was also when the first group of Killeman Jerald Schimers was founded. So during twenty twelve I met Stephanie and I had asked about sterilization.
Speaker 4: It was a mobile clinic day.
Speaker 5: They've had a series of mobile clinic day before that, but twenty twelve it was held at Cutter Primary School at Ford Street in alex So. I had asked about sterilization and it was for a gentleman. I knew optim Vola, but I just referred to him as uncle, you know us in Africans, Yeah, you know, that's how we referred to a malue aunt. So he was like Malome and I went with Stephanie to his place to find out more information about his dogs and everything. After they've spoke, we got the sterilization organized. The dog's got sterilized because there's something this PCA in general doesn't promote breeding. I mean, there is a number of dogs without homes and it is because of you know, careless breeding and things like that. So after finding out about that, I had a word with Stephanie. She asked me questions about myself. I told her about myself. That's when she even found out about the Animal Kevin Crew. He met my other friends who are in the Kebin Crew and the we even made a front page at that time Alex News. So when she found out about me, she slowly and introduced me to Angie and they saw me call. They slowly got me into volunteering at the Centinus PCA.
Speaker 4: That was also nice.
Speaker 5: So I started volunteering at the SPCA, walking dogs and everything.
Speaker 4: At first, I didn't know the rules.
Speaker 5: I was kind of like shouted because I just got there, took out dogs, took them back into the wrong kennels, and you know that's quite dangerous. Yeah, soa kinda got in trouble a little. Although as I went through the training as one of the youngest volunteers there, I learned more and more about the SPCA and I started understanding what this PCA stood forward. It was all about the impact it had to the community, and I just wanted to get involved. Even right after school, I don't waste time. I just went right into the SPC and asked for a job there.
Speaker 2: Sure, that's yeah, that's a beautiful, beautiful story. And then at what point did you think maybe I should try some at this mountain?
Speaker 5: So Stephanie has been asking me to climb Mount killy manjarichoklast some time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna ask that we actually introduced Stephanie and oh yeah, yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 3: You make reference to her a lot, and I think it's only.
Speaker 2: Fair she here in studio and she does seem like she's a key to put it aword Os. So I'm gonna ask you just to come closer to the mike, Stephanie. I know that you here accompanying Troy, but yes, we're going to bring you into the conversation.
Speaker 3: So you say, Stephane.
Speaker 5: DoD what So Stephanie got me involved with the Satini's PCA, and she's been asking me to to join the the climb to Mount Killemanjaro and to foundraise for the Santinis PCA. There has been a lot of things that has been keeping me from climbing it.
Speaker 4: But this year.
Speaker 5: I've had more jobs that allow me to be flexible. So I've been going on a series of hikes, you know locally like Mahale's and all these other places, training to to to.
Speaker 4: Climb Mount Killemnjaro.
Speaker 5: And with all these hikes, I guess definitely did also see that, you know what, I've got the fitness, I've got the mindset, I've got the vega to to go clime Mount Kilimanjaro and I mean it's the highest peak in South Africa.
Speaker 3: You know Africa.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and being part of the SPCA, she also wanted me to get involved with the fundraising because we are fundraising for the SENTINISPCA. We need to raise like four hundred thousand for the SANTINASPCA, So it's an initiative I wanted to get involved in.
Speaker 4: So she introduced me to that. I got to meet the the.
Speaker 5: Some of the climbers for Forksudi La and Yeah, it's I've been growing into it.
Speaker 2: Stepny, I just want to bring you into into the conversation because you're from the SPCA and you work closely with Troy. Just, you know, explain your role in the work towards you know, the project towards climbing Mount Kilimanjaro that Troy has not taken on.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you.
Speaker 6: Well, our story is quite intertwined. As Troy explained. We met in twenty twelve and it was at a Santana Mobile Clinic day. And I have found my passion around and I loved your previous interview by the way, because I mean, my passion is making an impact one step at a time. And I came into mountains really climb. My first KILLI Majar on two thousand and seven, and it was an amazing experience, huge challenge, and it's a great opportunity to share the experience with people but also fundraise. So I with a group of people founded Kusudi La Adventures in two thousand and one and we fundraise for animal welfare, conservation and wildlife and also communities along our journey. So our beneficiary for Kilimanjaro this year is the santon SPA and it's wonderful to sort of see the circle, you know, it comes full circle now.
Speaker 1: Troy and I were speaking on our way here.
Speaker 6: It's like, can you believe that we met thirteen years ago, you know, in a parking lot at a school in alex And here we are climbing Kilimanjaro together to fundraise for that organization that brought us together.
Speaker 3: Thought, yeah, so you're going to be doing it as well.
Speaker 6: Again, Yes, this is my eighth climb shows and how are you feeling about that? Oh?
Speaker 1: I'm feeling strong. But you know what it is.
Speaker 6: One of the things that's wonderful about it is it's the challenge. So I do not take this mountain for granted. Yeah, I am training, but I'm really I look forward to it every year.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, listen, this sounds amazing. How about us.
Speaker 1: You've got an invitation?
Speaker 6: You say, yes, We've got all of your listeners listening.
Speaker 3: Listen. That maybe takes time. I mean it sounds like a big challey.
Speaker 4: But I mean it is amazing.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, And I think that you you are so brave, you know, to be wanting to do this for such for such a cause. Yeah, Troy, I mean you you work for the SPCA in sent and what are some of the needs that the SPCA has. I mean you're trying to raise these funds. You said four hundred thousand rand is needed. What do you need at the SPCA.
Speaker 5: Currently, Well, there are kennels that we need to develop medication, you know, develop the clinic, the there's there's quite a number of stuff. Probably Stephanie can also add to that the number of stuff that we need.
Speaker 1: Well, Troy is very right.
Speaker 6: I think the list is long that I think our specific project is Becauseudi La is to raise four hundred thousand rand to refurbish the kennels in the clinic. So Santa and SBCA has hundreds, i think thousands of animals that come through its doors every year and they all need medical treatment and so they have cannels that they obviously that they stay in before and after their treatments, and they are in much they're in very poor repair, so they need upgrading. So that is our big ask is to Casudi Love would like to raise four hundred thousand rand for the Santon SPCA.
Speaker 2: And I mean what does it take to some Maybe I should ask you if you know what does it take to summit Maud Kilimanjaro.
Speaker 3: What do you need to have in order to make it to the top.
Speaker 6: I think the most important ingredient is resilience, that ability to put one foot in front of another when you are tired, when it is cold, when the air gets thin as you are climbing to the summit. And remember or remember many your listeners probably don't know. We climb to the summit at night, so we will start climbing between midnight and one in the morning, so it'll be dark, it's cold, and we'll make our way up that summit and we will climb to five eight hundred and ninety five meters, so that is yeah, you know altitude.
Speaker 1: You can feel that altitude when you're walking. But we walk very slowly poly poly as they say.
Speaker 4: And sweetly slowly slowly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, well it does sound like it's an amazing experience. But also I think it's very inspirational what you're doing for the Santon SPCA.
Speaker 3: So you have a friend there with you, someone there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Tenzy our mascot, Yasudila mascot, tell me about Tenzy, So she's she's our mascot for Caudilla climbers and we always take her on well, she's always taken on hikes, on hikes. I'm also going to be joining her this year on a hike. And she also represents the animals at the SPCIA that we are chiming for and that we are trying to raise these funds for, and the Centines PCA as well.
Speaker 3: Sure, so she goes up the mountain too.
Speaker 5: Yep, she's been the how many times?
Speaker 4: Eight times? Now?
Speaker 6: Oh she's well, she's she's the second they were first retired, So I think this is her fifth Summit's still quite impressive.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, if Tansy can do it, I can do it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, we all heard that.
Speaker 2: Maybe just speak to us, Troy about the message that you have for young children from your community that have a love for animals that want to get involved. You know, how can we encourage them to develop that and and to get involved with organizations like the SPCA.
Speaker 5: Firstly, for the for the children that have already discovered that, you know, they have a love for animals. It's a great thing, you know, it's a great thing. I think they should tap deeper into their interests. You know, if you're interested about a cat, learn more about that cat.
Speaker 2: Know what.
Speaker 5: Drives it, what makes its characteristics to be a cat. If you interested in in a dog, learn about that dog. If you're interested in nature, learn about nature and grow your interests, you know, and to to try and not get distracted by a lot of things that happen, you know, in the streets, because there's quite a lot of distraction now that that you know, it takes us off of things that you know can grow us and improve us as a people. So with whatever passion you have out there, just make sure it's going to bring in a lot more than it would take from your future. So if you interested in that sports, if you're interested in animal welfare, go to these facilities. Learn more about them, even if it's the zoo, even if it's game reserves, just learn more about them. Or whatever interests, whether it's sports or whatnot, focus on it because there's always something to get from whatever interest you've got, whether it's sports, whether it's writing, regardless, So focus on that and try to grow on it as much as you can. That's the message I've got.
Speaker 2: I think with me, I first need to get over my fear of dogs and cats.
Speaker 5: Actually well, researching more about them will show you you know, like, for instance, just the behavioral characteristics of a dog. When it's wagging its tail, you understand it's happy, you know, when it's that's.
Speaker 3: When I'm panicking. I'm like, what's going on? Are we okay?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, I understand, I understand. I understand.
Speaker 2: Some of our listeners may want to follow and yeah, follow your your your journey as you are working towards Kilimanjaro. Where can they follow you? How can they stay involved? And how how can they get in touch with you?
Speaker 4: They can follow us on LA.
Speaker 5: There's there's an that we have an Instagram page and you can also email Stephanie on Stephanie brown Kula dot com.
Speaker 6: I think yeah, so people can find follow us on Facebook, La Adventures and on Instagram. As Troy mentioned, people can also email me Stephanie at Kassudi's hyphen la dot com or go on our.
Speaker 1: Website www dot la dot com.
Speaker 3: Maybe let's spell kasdila for our listeners.
Speaker 6: It's k u s you d and then there's a space LA and preps. I could just share with your listeners the meetings. So Kudi La means for purpose in Swahili because Kasui La Adventures is all about purposeful adventure.
Speaker 1: You know, we do it for the adventure, but we also do it for our purpose.
Speaker 3: Oh that's beautiful. There's a question here for you.
Speaker 2: Actually, one of our listeners wants to find out which course is considered to be tougher to summit and roughly how many days would it take.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's a great question.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I think let me just start with Well, there's there's lots of different routes, and I think they all have different Some of them are longer than others, some of them are Yeah, I think some of them are a little harder well than others. So we do the Wrong Guy route, and because I like that route, it's the northernmost route, it's the newest route. It's not too long and it's not too short, and it's also a tented root, which means means it's it's clean.
Speaker 1: And it's not that busy.
Speaker 6: So we go up the Wrong Guy route and we take five days to summit and two days to come down, and then we come down a different route, the Marangu route, and the Maranga Root is the original route. It's you know, traditionally it's sometimes called Coca Cola route because lots of people do it, and you can do it quite fast. So I did that route in two thousand and seven, a five day climb, and I think that you know that was too that's too fast. I think the ideal number of days is seven. So that's what we do, just to give people the best opportunity to acclimatize, and we fully expect everyone on our team to be standing on the summit.
Speaker 2: Well, our listener, Zeno here says Kilimanjaro is on his bucket list and it's just a matter of time now.
Speaker 1: Well, I look forward to hearing from Zeno.
Speaker 6: We will we climb every year, so we've got dates for next July as well.
Speaker 2: So yeah, get in touch, you know, do the right thing, and maybe if you do it, I'll try to.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: Troy Muzim from the Santin SPCA and Stephanie, thank you so much for joining us. Thank you for spending your time this afternoon. You're doing amazing things. I wish you all of the very best, and I hope that your climb is.
Speaker 3: A memorable one. I'm sure it will be very memorable.
Speaker 2: I hope that it's a fantastic one and I look forward to hearing from you when you come back.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you very much, Moso all of the very best.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having us