Speaker 1: And now The Money Show with Stephen Credits on seven oh two.
Speaker 2: Let's walk lit all.
Speaker 3: The Money Show with Stephen Curtis is brought to you by ABS, a Corporate and Investment bank, proud sponsor of the African Blockchain Report twenty twenty four. Good evening, Welcome to the program. I'm Stephen Curtis. There are plenty of stories we'll touch on in the next few moments, some of them vitally important, including I think our conversation with the Health Funders Association. They're furious at these findings by the Council for Medical Schemes that some of the big medical aids that you will know and have heard of and may well belong to are guilty of some form of racism, I suppose in terms of paying out patients who had treatment from black healthcare providers, doctors, nurses, whatever. And we'll get to that in the moment. We'll talk about Trump and tariffs, because that's also vitally important. But the story that stuck out for me, and you can reach around and if you're young enough, put yourself on the back, is that we're all so keen to pay our taxes that the website crash today. Now, obviously that's because some people expect a SARS pay out. I wonder what that's like, But so fascinating to see that so many people are keen to sort it all out, get the situation going that actually the website crashed, and I've made this point before. I suspect that we're about to have a lot more discussions about SARS, be talking a lot more about SARS over the next couple of months. And let me just explain why I say this. The first is that there's been quite a big promise made by the Commissioner, Edward Kisvetter, that he can get a lot more money in. And by the way he started saying, I think by two years ago that in fact, he thought around a third of the economy was sort of untaxed, so he thought there was a lot of money out there that was owed. So fine, good. So the first thing that's going to happen is we're going to say, are you getting that money in? And if he falls short, and obviously he's not going to get it all in the first year. Can you imagine these are people and businesses and the elicited enterprises, criminal networks, whatever you want to call them that have been going for years and years and years untaxed. Not all going to happen at once. There's that point. But the second is that the disputes, the number of disputes around SARS and involving SARS, are simply going to rise. To put it another way, if you had to ask me, what should you do if you're in a dispute with SARS, I would say how much stomach do you have for a fight? Because I think they're keen to find the cash, more keen than perhaps they've been in just a little while. So I was strangely encouraged to see that the SARS website crashed today. Somewhere there's an IT guy shouting at an ID guy shouting at an ID guy. But what it does mean is that people are willing to interact with it and get on with it and sort it out one way or another, whether you're expecting a refunder, whether you just want to know what you owe. It's one of the great miracles of South Africa is that when SARS works, things are a lot better for all of us. I don't think I've ever spoken to on the radio an auctioneer, never mind an art auctioneer. Will be speaking to Susie Goodman later on the programm, executive director of Strauss and Co. She studied art history and then translated that into becoming an art auctioneer. I wonder if she knew that when she saw at her first year, but that would that's what would happen. Very interesting journey oh double one double A three oh seven two two one four ur six oh five six seven and voice notes this evening on seven two seven oh two one seven oh two. Lots going on, watching the White House very closely Tonight The.
Speaker 1: Money Show with Stephen Krudis live on ninety two point seven and one o six FM.
Speaker 2: Streaming on the Prime Media Plus map and DStv channel eight five six.
Speaker 3: The announcement of a finding today by the independent panel commissioned by the Council for Medical Schemes that medical aids you have heard of many of them, the government employee Medical Scheme med Scheme Discovery racially discriminated against black doctors and black healthcare providers. The panel, which was shared by the Advocate Timberk and Glucai Torby finding that claim submitted by patients who had black doctors or black health workers had a much higher chance of being investigated as compared to patients with white doctors and white healthcare workers. As a result, it seems that many black health care workers or patients had to wait longer for their payments were not properly paid out at all. There's some very interesting examples. According to the findings made, cheme was made. Scheme was six times more likely to investigate a claim from a black and ethetist than a white one. Black dental therapists who are three times more likely to be investigated. There's a long list of this. Thonishon Naid is the CEO of the Health Funders Association. Thanishon Good Evening, as I understand it, you reject the findings of this report. On what basis do you reject them?
Speaker 4: Thanks, Steven. So we're still actually studying the report. It was just released today, so we're still going through it. I think you know, firstly on an own basis that we note that the final report has been presented as including findings of systemic unsaid discrimination of profile, but it's actually not the case. Your reports when you read it, it's felicitly states that it does not make a legal finding of unfair discrimination. And also it does not make any finding regarding racial profiles. And we note that the internal report noted there was no explicit evidence of profile. So the one concern, and we've raised it throughout, is you know where where, for example, some of the conclusions have been drawn. They're based on a model, a statistical model, which is flawed because when we looked at it in a very high level, the analysis was looking at surnames and classifying them according to race. Now that was not peer reviewed by anybody, and there was significant amount of experts opinion, independent expert opinion which said, you know, that methodology is flawed. So we're a little bit baffled. It's been say, you know that the panel is actually placing reliance on a flawed methodology and then making conclusions from that respect. So I think, you know, we're still studying the report and follow.
Speaker 3: I mean, I can completely understand that to say to somebody, this is your surname, and therefore you must be of this race or ethnic group is problematic, I mean obviously, but in terms of big numbers, when you're looking at large numbers of people, I mean, I think in some ways it would be seen as common sense, we kind of know which groups tend to have which surnames, and the risk of your argument would be that you're using a technical reason to try and avoid a finding that involves race against your members.
Speaker 4: No, no, not at all. And remember, I think it's not me that's actually said that. This is several independent experts, you know, credible independent experts have come forward and actually said this is inaccurate. So we on that basis, you know, you can't place reliance on a flawed methodology.
Speaker 5: I mean sure, you know.
Speaker 4: For example, you know you've got regions in various places that let's say case it in which I think was raped, there are probably more Indian doctors there and Indian providers, so you'll see our higher likelihood of investigations or you know of that nature. But you know, we still go to the fact that in the methodology that's been and even though we provided evidence, you know, and resorts, the panel only relied on one single expert, which is flawed.
Speaker 3: Okay, do you believe then that there's no problem relating to race and medical aid claims?
Speaker 4: I do not. I do not believe that there's racial profile and and in fact, you know, the report actually says so that there isn't the case, and in fact it went further to say, uh, you know, uh there they didn't find any cases and won't call on to find any case of discriminational in factor said would specifically each case should come on its own case by basis to look at where there was discrimination, but there wasn't.
Speaker 3: Okay, So you can say that about anything that you need to go on a case by case basis, and in terms of finding justice for individuals, that's obviously what you have to do. I accept that. But there's also and this has been seen in other places, and I'm sure at some point there'll be findings here. There is also a thing such as institutionalized prejudice or institutionalized discrimination. I mean, the same report that you point to also seems to suspect say that, for example, Medschein was six times more likely to investigate a claim from a black and eth it'sis than a white one. Now, okay, you can use the surname argument there, but do you have any other explanation for why this would be the case?
Speaker 6: Were so?
Speaker 4: I think you know it's also important, why would those just specifically selected, you know, those particular ones and I think this really does go as if you look at various other ones, they're very much in line from what we understand. But you know, those ones have been selected for whatever reason, you know, as faces to be made. But it's not the fact situation across the body.
Speaker 3: But I mean, doesn't that still mean that black and nethethists are being discriminated against? It would certainly seem so just on you know, the primum first level, at this point, on face value, it would seem that there does seem to be some kind of problem in the medical aid industry.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, So I think let's a step back. Actually, maybe let's look at this. Right, ninety percent of providers, over ninety percent of providers are paid without any issue. Less than ten percent of providers are flagged. Right, and we're talking about medical schemes works on a trust basis. Yeah, you once you presented with the invoice within thirty days, you're automatically paid. It's only ten percent of providers that are flagged, you know, and then there's a white spectrum of that ten to spend. So it's broad waste and abuse. So some are you know, intention of fraud, which is a small percentage and some are actually a majority are actually billing errors. So when we talk about billing errors, we're talking about, for example, billing for ten liters of oxygen which could have been a type of when it's supposed to be both for one litera. Now that's an error, So that's flag right, and that's not necessarily a provider. It's been reflected on the analytics. There's no race in together.
Speaker 6: Men.
Speaker 4: Of course there's other ones which is provided as a flag for at a pharmacy for dispensing medicine when they're actually taking nappies. So those are intentional fraud. So we're talking about a small minority of providers here, you know, who are actually found as part of the fraud, waste and abuse perspective. So it's not a majority of the issues here.
Speaker 3: Okay, So just to be clear, funishing, you believe then that a patient treated by doctor and I do in a patient treated by doctor Hutez, their claims will be treated in exactly the same way byes.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, fairly and with our discommination furnishing idea.
Speaker 3: Thanks very much. Indeed, CEO of the Health Funders Association, Stephen has.
Speaker 2: Gone x at at Stephen or.
Speaker 3: The US Treasury Secretary Scott best Under confirming this afternoon that while the Trump administration will be sending letters to various countries informing them about the tariff sale face, those letters will still point out that there is still room for negotiation. The US President Donald Trump saying over the weekend, countries that are part of or align with Bricks will face an additional ten percent tariff. In other words, we would expect to pay ten percent more than whatever it is that we were going to pay as a result of our membership of Bricks. In fact, the presidents Aroma Porza in Brazil wrapping up his meeting with members of Bricks this afternoon. Yesh Ramklawan, he is the managing director and economist at DNA Economics. Yes, good evening to you. I do appreciate the time. I mean, I find myself once again in the position of wondering, how seriously can we take a Trump threat? Is it going to happen this time? Is he going to chicken out? Or are we just going to be in this unpredictable position for the next three years.
Speaker 7: Good evening, healen, and good evening to the listeners. Yeah, it's a valid question, are we going to see another Soucco trade in place? Very hard to say. I think if we step back and look at where we currently are, we know that South Africa faces the universal ten percent tariff on most of its products, although there are a bull range of products exclusions. There are the steel and aluminium additional duties of around fifty percent, and then the additional duties on vehicles at twenty five percent. So despite the fact that the direct or bilateral tariff on South Africa has been suspended until possibly the end of Wednesday Thursday, we still face a range of additional duties and very hard to say, I think the extent to which we will see the imposition of the additional thirty percent that was originally in place in April. So yes, lots of questions I think for everyone, and I.
Speaker 3: Suspect for a while to come if we do get the original tariffs he wanted to impose, or kind of a bit plus ten percent. I mean, at some point it must end out traditional trading relationship with the US. I realized there are exceptions and emphasids put those do to one side for a moment. But I mean, if we start looking at tariffs on a permanent basis of twenty five percent or more, let's say thirty percent or more. Isn't that pretty much the end of our goods into the US. It will just be too expensive in that market.
Speaker 6: So yes, and no.
Speaker 7: I think the products exclusions are actually quite important because if you look at Salaska's trade profile with the US, we can, at the risk of generalized in public categorize it into three broad categories, the first being South africa exports of primary commodities, a large proportion of which are actually included in the list of excluded products, those products that don't face the additional duties. And I think that's quite important to note because on the Trump administration side, their big focus has been on reindustrialization and improving the manufacturing base in the US. And if you look at all of a large proportion of South Africa's exports to the US, that is actually intermediate goods which feed into the manufacturing process. So even if we do get a big increase in import duties targets in South Africa, I think the product's exclusions would be very important to consider. Having said that, yes, there are a large number of other products which are not included in the exclusion list, which would face very significant consequences and the US consumer facing an additional forty or fifty percent duty on products such as citrus, blueberries, vehicles which caun't amongst the largest imports of I guess finished goods or consumer goods from South Africa. That would be very detrimental to South African exportance and probably effectively close off the market for South African exportance.
Speaker 3: The list of exclusions, which I suppose another way of looking at it as saying these are the levers we could use, right And I remember at the time, I think a lot of people sort of laughed in response when Guada Mantasha, the Minister of Mineral and Petroleum Resources, said we should just say we're not going to sell certain things to the US. But I do wonder more and more if actually platinum is the lever to say we're not going to sell you this stuff and good luck getting it from Russia.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 7: And I think a lot of the products that have been included in the product's exclusion list are what I have been termed critical minerals, although the exact definition of this varies across different countries and different classifications, but I think that is potentially one area of leverage for South Africa, and in terms of the bilateral trade talks that might be taking place and the list of offers that could be made by South Africa to the US. We currently do have an export tax on a small number of products. One of the options might be to raise the export tax on a border range of minerals exports to the US. Although again, if you look at how the US has reacted to China's in position of additional duties, they've ended up just raising duties. So it does risk a further trade war, if you want to call it that, between South Africa and the US. Although having said that, that is probably one of the core areas where South Africa has strong leverage compared to any of the other areas where we might be negotiating.
Speaker 3: It's fascinating from what I can see, we've been playing for time, and I'm sure there's a long list of countries playing for time saying let's negotiate this seriously, but let's do it over time. Do you think that the Trump administration is going to grant that? Again, an impossible question, yesh, But actually the US probably doesn't have much of a choice, because it surely can't negotiate with the entire world and sort of two hundred and ten or whatever different negotiations at once.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So, Stephen, I mean, if you look at trade agreements in history, these typically take anything between two and ten years to negotiate. So trying to negotiate I think somebody from the administration, the US administration that said they are going to negotiate ninety deals in ninety days highly improbable. If you look at the country that originally were targeted, it was about fifty plus countries targeted with the additional duties on Liberation Day in April. Out of those fifty countries, to date, we've heard of only one, I think it is Vietnam, where there's agreed some sort of agreement, but it's not clear exactly what. And then one country, which one even targeted, has reached some sort of framework agreement, but again not clear exactly what the detail of that is, being the United Kingdom. So I think the reality is that there will be some extension. Even in yesterday's press briefing, it wasn't very clear from President Trump whether or not it was going to be imposed this week, or whether or not the circuitary was actually correct in suggesting that it would be imposed in first of August. So I expect there will be some delayed reaction to the imposition of the tariff, and hopefully it'll just be a continuous delay.
Speaker 3: You and the rest of the world will all be holding thumbs together. Yes, thanks so much, I really appreciate it. Yes, Rum Clown and Managing director economists at DNA Economics, The Money Show, Sibernice and lomarlo Is, chief investment officer at the Old Mutual Investment Group Sibnio. Good evening holding thumbs along with the rest of the world. I mean, it's a terrible investment strategy, but maybe all we have.
Speaker 5: Go liveling.
Speaker 8: Stephen Coulibling to your listeners, Stephen, one of the things we like to say is is investing with perspective. And with all of this noise, I just wanted to take a step back. Half the year has been and let us look at perspective, which then will explain where we think the world is going. One of the things that is true is that if you look at being a Sathasrican investor has proven to be extremely profitable in the first half of this year, if you're invested in South Africa in the AUCHE index this year, for six months to date, you are up close to thirty percent, twenty nine point two percent. If you're invested in the S and P five hundred in the US with those big tech companies and all those companies, you'd be up five point five percent. And if you'd invested in emerging markets, you'd also be up just about five point six percent. And so therefore, with all of this noise that's going on, being invested in South Africa, given what's happened in our commodities, because we're commodity producing nation, especially in the PGM sector, has proven to be highly profitable, and so steven if I continue and I say, actually what drove this. One of the big things that happened in the first half was the US dollar fell over eleven percent. Now this doesn't look like a big move, but it's actually the biggest move, the worst start to a year in the US dollar in fifty years. And so why is the US dollar under pressure? Well, the US has got a lot of debt. In fact, they've got the seal amount of debt they last had back after.
Speaker 5: World War Two. We've got about thirty seven trillion in debt. Now a third of that, about nine point two trillion, is going to be refinanced this year in twenty twenty five. Now, the sticky part of that is that interest rates are high. They've gone high. At the last time when they were raising the state indust rates were close to zero. And so therefore, if you take tariffs, if you take high gateatedness in the US and the fact that it needs to be refinanced and a week of dollar, the US is under immense pressure. There's a devaluation of income and purchasing power. And so therefore, hence Trump has to try and raise revenues by imposing these terriffs because their own financial situation.
Speaker 7: Is not good.
Speaker 3: Sure, there's a lot going on there. I mean, platinum group metals have been suddenly almost out of nowhere, but not really out of nowhere, suddenly done very well over the last five weeks and now consistently, I mean the platinum the world platinum investment councils saying they expect prices to stay high for quite some time. Sort of expect them to say that, but it's a very rational thing to say.
Speaker 7: Yes, it is.
Speaker 5: I mean, all commodities, and the as the dollar weekends, commodity prices because they're treated in commodities, tend to go up. So that's good for commodities. So we want a week a dollar. That's why when we see a strong rand, that tends to be good for our commodities. But if we talk about the platinum group metals, platinum itself is up fifty percent this year. Palladium is up about twenty percent. Why are they going up, Well, basically, platinum group metals are used in what's called auto catalytic converters, which go in cars to obviously clean out the fumes that come out of the back of the car. And so therefore what's happened globally is that evs or illuctric vehicles, that penetration has tapered off, So that's starting to come off. It's not proving to be as sustained. But the platinum companies are not investing in new production and so therefore you've got the demand of internal combustion engines that is continuing to grow, whereas the supply of platinum that you need to obviously manage the embisions that is coming off, which means then prices have to adjust economics one oh one. Now, Steven, what's really good about this that Soasca produces seventy percent of PGM or platinum groups And the last time we saw a sharp rise in platinum group metals because we produced seventy percent of them, then they paid texas in South Africa. So if you go back to twenty twenty two, we saw the fiscus corporate Texas I think rolls about one hundred billion rand because of the Texas that came from the PLATINM group metals. So if glet and group metals keep going up, it's good for South Africa's budget and it's good for our stock exchange. Maybe it's a good time to invest in South Africa.
Speaker 3: See Venetian Lomarlo, Thanks so much, Chief investment officer at the Old Mutual Investment Group.
Speaker 1: The Money Show with Stephen crutis live on ninety two point seven and one o six FM, streaming on the Prime Media Plus NAP.
Speaker 2: And DStv channel eight five six.
Speaker 3: Well, I was watching President Seramposa just briefly sort of wrapping up the Brick Summit in Brazil, and he's been there for much of the weekend and just thinking sort of idly about bricks and trade, and it's worth just repeating a comment that's been made many times, which is bricks is not not yet a sort of trading block, and actually how difficult it will be to make bricks to trading block.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 3: We do a lot of trade with China, obviously, and we do a lot of trade with Brazil, and you'll hear more about that in a moment. We don't do that much trade with Russia. Now. There's been a lot of discussion about our relationship with Russia, but we don't do that much trade with Russia.
Speaker 7: India.
Speaker 3: Now, India's interesting because on some level we have such a shared history with India. We have shared cultural links, we have shared sporting links. I mean, there are millions of people in India who watch more South African cricket than South Africans do for various reasons. And I'm really not making that up, by the way, it's true. And look at the SA twenty the cricket tournament that's played here that involves Indian franchises. I mean, the links are very very strong. The problem is that, for example, if you are our farmers, you'd be thinking, oh, let's sell oranges to India. Let's sell this to India. But I can't see any country in the world that will get around the political constituency that is in India. They are immensely strong and they will not allow you to trade very easily there. They will be tariffs, and I mean tariffs of you know, fifty percent kind of tariffs. So I do wonder at some point if someone somewhere can sit down and do some more deeper thinking about the trade that we that we are doing with bricks countries and the trade that we can do with bricks countries. And some of it's obvious, some of it's are a little bit more complicated. On one level, I know that people who support bricks will be thinking, this is the moment as the US seems almost determined to disengage from the global economy. What a Gullambalam call it a sort of brexit from the from the global economy. All of that said, it's a lot harder said than done, and maybe we'll have to come to terms with that double one double A three oh seven I do to one four four six O five six seven.
Speaker 1: That is on the Money Shows six to eight pm.
Speaker 3: We're talking about Brazil, you'll be able to buy Brazilian chicken products again. Our Agricultural Department it seems to have now lifted a ban on all chicken meat imports from that country following bird flu being found in the state of Rio Granda de Sul. Currently, Brazilian chicken is seen as a vital ingredient in our whole range of products that you can buy, including mechanically de boned meat. Now you might like your your bolone, you don't necessarily want to watch it being made, but most of that would include chicken from Brazil. Immamalan Motibi is the CEO of the Association of Meat Importers and Exporters Imamalan. A good evening, appreciate your time on the Money show. Obviously, all of this vital for your industry and for your association. You must be breathing a sigh of relief.
Speaker 4: We are.
Speaker 9: Later the must say stiven in good evening to their listeners.
Speaker 3: There's a much bigger issue here in all sorts of ways. So in the past we've banned imports from an entire country. I mean, if a country has that, if a country has avian fluenza, I can understand why it's incredibly contagious. Now we seem to be going states by state, so Brazil can show that it's controlled, that is not spreading with a lot of importance in is that an important shift, a significant shift?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Grin and Stevens as indicated, we are very excited to have reached this milestone. Brazil was the only country standing in terms of Avian influenza, and when they announced the outbreak late April, I mean in May, sorry, until then, all other countries we're coming in and out of an influenza, including South Africa. So I think, as we can see, it is a global phenomenon. The Keuy question is how do we manage diseases within the mid trade sector, because it looks like we are there.
Speaker 3: What would have happened if the bandits tayed in place for much longer? I mean, presumably it would have pushed meat product prices in South a grow up dramatically, and maybe some products wouldn't have been available, definitely.
Speaker 7: Seven.
Speaker 9: If you look at the mechanically debud meat monthly, we input about eighteen thousand tons into South Africa and all of that is for human consumption for the processing of polonies. As you mentioned, the Vienna's Russians, and that is product protail product that is mostly in the availability scope of the lower income consumers.
Speaker 5: In South Africa.
Speaker 9: We also import roughly four thousand tons of chicken feed one thousand, five hundred tons of gizzards. So offal is a key component as well in terms of the products that we bring in from Brazil because the local producers are not able to meet that demand. So it's not this place in the existing industry. It is complementing what the producers can provide based on the demand of the lower income consumers. We all know that the consumers are tight now in terms of affordability. Therefore they've been moving from chicken potions to where we are now in terms of offer and protest derived from mechanicality bond meat. So this is a key market for South Africa because it's the largest producer of these products we're speak in too.
Speaker 3: Globally, I mean and also pilchards. People have been looking at those two. I mean, Brazil, as you say, a massive supplier. In fact, I was told once that just one of their big farms matches our entire chicken outputs. I mean, that's astonishing. What happens to the global chicken industry of Brazil is cut out of it for some reason. I mean that would lead to a massive shift around the world.
Speaker 9: Actually, when the outbreak was declared in Brazil, it was a global clinic throughout all markets. You should have seen, in essence the cues of people that were countries that were going through Brazil in terms of going into negotiations on how to get around around the disease management programs because, in essence, because this had never happened in Brazil and in many other countries before it happened, countries used to have certain regimes in terms of protocols that never anticipated the development of an outbreak of diseases into it as part of what needs to be considered in trade. So essen when these eventualities happen, countries have then shifted to get into new agreements that accommodate that. But because Brazil had never had that, many countries had actually still not got into apport to a point of new arrangements that envisage the outcome of an avian influencer should it arrive at that point. So most countries we're not training.
Speaker 3: He mummaling, Thanks so much, Mummaling Mortiba is the CEO of the Association of Meat Importers and Exporters. Do you want to know how your Polonia has made?
Speaker 1: Do you really?
Speaker 10: The Money Show with Stephen Crutez is brought to you by Absolve Corporate and Investment Bank Drought, sponsor of the African Blockchain Report twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: On the next Money Show, personal finance expert co founder of Galilere Capital, Warren Ingram, we'll talk about your midyear financial health check. We are halfway through twenty twenty five years. It is time to do a health check reveal on your money, to see how you've progressed and to figure out what you need to work on for the next six months. Doctor Rutendo and Dwinkie, founding director of Tribe Africa Advisory author of the book Grumble in the Jungle. Reloaded as the latest business news from around our continent. Also the latest on the top business news from around the world.
Speaker 2: The Money Show on seven notas Monday till Friday.
Speaker 3: Looks like our wine industry maybe yet another casualty of how you're feeling about our economy. A little bit of a lack of confidence, it seems leading to a slight slow down, maybe a bigger slowdown in sales. So wine sales are down, bad news for wine farmers, maybe pretty good news for you. Michael Fridjohn is founding of Wine founder of Wine Wizard, Dots Dot to Day, visiting professor of Wine Business, Visiting professor excuse me of wine Business at the University of Cape Town and director at wine x and Michael good evening, good to chat again. How bad is the step? What's happening to wine sales?
Speaker 6: Definitely, you can see the figures and it's a fairly reliable report, the Vineymarket Market Review, and it does show that there's a general decline, but there's a stodginess, and that starginess is I'm afraid, a affection of our economy. I don't think it is all doom and gloom, but that's because I'm a perennial optimist, because I see things which are available to South African producers notwithstanding the threats on the horizon.
Speaker 3: So domestically, is it just about consumers spending and how people are feeling about money or is there some other shift? And we know younger people around the world are drinking less alcohol.
Speaker 6: Look I think there is that trend, but I have to say I'm not sure it's that evidence in South Africa. If you look at the crowd we had at Stanard Bank WINX last year, it was a very full haul for three days. It was a young crowd, it was a vibrant crowd, and it was crowd keen to learn about wine. And that for me is one of the silver linings to this cloud. African continent as a whole is a new frontier and the wine industries of the world have advanced from the eighties thrutl today by getting a new generation interested and involved with wine. So Margaret Thatcher created the Yuppi generation. The yuppy gen generation brought wine instead of beer and spirits the way it's parents did. Now Africa is that next frontier, and wine sales generally in Africa are more buoyant and are not being compromised in the same way as they are amongst the more mature markets, and as they are amongst consumers such as gen Z. So I do think that we have on our doorstep a new market ready to learn about wine and ready to imbibe. And what the industry has to learn to do is to communicate with that generation and to take advantage of the fact that they are there. We don't have to look as far afield as we did previously. We have to make more of our markets closer to home.
Speaker 3: In normal times, the ups and downs of an economy, is there normally a correlation between how much wine is being brought and drunk and what kind of wine and sort of consumer spending. In other words, if you look at our economic numbers, are you surprised at or to see.
Speaker 6: What you not surprised at all. You know, everyone says when the economies down, people drink more. If only that were true, they don't. If you don't have the money to spend, you are certainly not going to necessarily take it out in wine. One of the facts which may be skewing the figures, of course, is the size of the illicit market, and it's now estimated by the industry to be at least forty percent total alcohol sales. The government does nothing to close down on the illicit traders, many of whom are obviously extremely well connected. So if you talk to the sales guys, they will tell you they know how much money they're losing. So the volumes are going through. We're not being able to pick them up on the figures, but definitely, as a general rule, in times of recession, people spend less, which means that either buy less or buy cheaper.
Speaker 3: This is probably an impossible question, what are less that wine whine made legally be cheaper only because it's not paying the X size tax and the other taxes, or would it be cheaper because it's made in a different way to.
Speaker 5: The answer too is both.
Speaker 6: So the really illicit alcohol market is product called ale, which is essentially a fermentation which doesn't require any fruit of any sort use simply use sugar and yeast, colorant and flavorant. That of course is very cheap to produce, and in addition, of course it doesn't pay that and it doesn't pay tax once wine has been produced. If somebody is clever enough and it doesn't take a huge amount of skill in a situation as porous as ours, to move a whole bunch of that bulk to an elicit trader, and that trader is able to run a cash business that doesn't account itself to sars, well, then of course there's a massive saving in that and x SIS and in the lower end of the wine market. That is a significant amount of money that can be saved, and it can go into pupsucker, can go into returnable glass, or it can go into plastic, plastic being probably the packaging of choice for that market.
Speaker 3: So, with all of this happening at the moment, if you are a wine drinker, are there some bargains on bargains around that wouldn't normally be around or perhaps more affordable than they are in normal times.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, because cashlow is a problem. They've had a fabulous twenty twenty five vintage, both good volumes and obviously fantastic quality, and producers have to clear the pipeline in order to pay for packaging. You've got to get rid of whatever you have in your cellars. So for those who constrain cash flow, the only possibility is discounting, so consumers can look forward to better prices from people trying to clear past vintagers to make way in their sellars for the great twenty twenty fives.
Speaker 3: Michael Ford John really appreciate the thought. Thanks so much. Visiting Professor of Wine Business at the University of Cape Town and founder of Wine Wizard dot co dot CEDA as well and of course the person who formed wine X, but just interesting to see if this is the moment for someone to actually sort of develop the taste for it and then move into you know, the right kind of vintage. It is, as you heard, as you said, a moment where there could be some bargains that are around in a moment. Looking forward to speaking to Vais Sadiki, the author of the book Hoopris Maximus, The Shattering of Elon Musk. I was paging through it today, some astonishing stories that come out of it, and the timing, of course couldn't be better considering what Musk has been up to over the weekend. So looking forward to that in the next hour. Don't forget we'll be talking to an auctioneer from seven point thirty as well. Good evening you at the Money Show. It's seven o'clock The Lonely Show.
Speaker 1: With Stephen Crudis Lion on ninety two point seven and one o six FM, streaming on the Prime Media.
Speaker 2: Plus NAP and DStv channel eight five six.
Speaker 3: So I was fascinated by report today in News twenty four around cell phone coverage and you may sort of be frustrated about where you live in the cell phone coverage that you get. Did you know that just on Vodacon there are six and a half million devices that rely on two G cell phone coverage. You know what two G gets you? It gets you voice caused and s messes. That's pretty much it. I mean, it's not even EDGE. I think you know it might be EDGED. You remember EDGE. I mean I have very bad memories of EDGE. You wouldn't even be able to sort of manage on WhatsApp on that. And you might say to yourself, are they really six and a half million people that actually have cell phones that are only two G? And I think the answer might be, well, yes, if you consider they're about one hundred bucks. You use them as a spare, You use them as your sort of alarm, your FM radio, and to make calls if you need to, and it costs you virtually nothing where you just use it as a radio and make one phone call a month. And I think I can see the problem trying to switch that off, and people would want to switch them off, they want to use the spectrum for other things I value things. Is actually quite difficult. I'm sure. Also there are sort of other devices that use some cards that are not cell phones. So just off the top of my head, and I'm kind of making this up. Maybe the weather service uses them or something, but there'll be some sort of group of devices together that'll use TWOG. In the moment someone says we're going to switch them off tomorrow, you'll find out exactly how many people use two G devices. It's a fascinating and interesting side of our country. But six and a half million two G devices still on on Vodacom alone.
Speaker 2: Seven oh two with Stephen email him on Stephen at seven o two dot co DOTZ.
Speaker 3: Well a promise from the Finance miscity you not got iguana to improve its oversight of the Public Investment Corporation. He sold an action samb that this might include a restructuring of how it's managed by convention. The chair of the BIC the PIC has been the Deputy Finance mister or a Deputy Finance minster. Looks like that position will now be held by someone who's politically neutral, I presume, an investment expert. At the same time, the PSC is facing questions about its role in the daybreak saga that saw that company being allowed to collapse. Sconati Manchanja is a journalist with News twenty four investigations secanatic Good evening, Excuse me I forgot an award winning journalist with News twenty four investigations. We all remember the in party inquiry. It made recommendations some time ago. Are we now finally going to see all of those being implemented?
Speaker 11: Stephen good afternoon. That's what politicians do when they get asked questions. They always make promises. But if you'll remember, this Empathic Commission gave those recommendations over over three years ago, and to date, very little has changed in the governance of the Public Investment Corporation. Still far too much power is invested in the politicians, in the form of the Finance Minister.
Speaker 3: I mean the idea of removing the politic politicians chair. On the face of it, that would seem to be a good idea from what you're saying. Actually there needs to be a lot of other changes.
Speaker 11: Absolutely, that is only that would only be a good start. But it is only that a start. What does need to happen is one for the Public Investment Corporation's board to be appointed, not by the Finance Minister, as is currently the case, who then delegates his deputy to chair the board. The all normal companies, in terms of the company's act, are governed by a board of directors that's elected by shareholders. Now, in the case of the public investment corporation, the shareholders are the beneficiaries who who are the civil servants current and past who benefit from from the management of its funds. Those are the people that work for the state and for parasitital entities such as, for example, the Unemployment Insure Fund and such other similar entities. They need to be able to elect the board and the majority of the board. They are independent non executive directors, with the exception of the chief financial Officer or finance director and chief executive officer, and of course, in the case of the PIC, the chief investment officer. The rest of the people do need to be appointed by the people who shall care. They can for each decisions good and bad.
Speaker 3: There's another sort of philosophical question about the public investment corporation. It's so big, it receives so much money to invest that it could create almost not just new companies, but almost entire industries. And I just wonder if you look at the coalition era we're in the sort of scope for patronage, etc. I mean, maybe it's just too big in some way, Sikanati. I mean that might seem a strange thing to say, but the opportunity for badness wrongdoing is so vast.
Speaker 11: There is, indeed a very big opportunity for for things that should not be done to actually be done and are being done and have always been done by by by the people appointed that's so peter again by the finance minister. And I'm not questioning the integrity of the current Finance minister, but all finance ministers have been appointing the board of the public Investment Corporation, concentrating so much vast power that they have three trillion brands in control of of of assets which which need to be to be vested in the in the hands of professionals. Those are the people that I manage assets as professionals, not people who then have to go to to politicians at every occasion, where they of course obviously always get asked for particular favors. And you know what that does when politicians are involved.
Speaker 5: And have any power.
Speaker 11: You have seen the disasters that for example, in Daybreak, the chicken, the chicken farm, the chicken company, that you have just mentioned now that was acquired by the PC in twenty fifteen and in ten years it was totally destroyed by the management that was appointed by the Public Investment Corporation. Again, you need to avoid those disasters. I mentioned the VPS Mitchell Bank, which again was destroyed through that the appointment by a board that was partly the PC was responsible for that. Of course it sent senior members as directors there. So there are many disasters that could be avoided by normalizing the governance of the public investment corporation. In companies where you and I our consciens are invested, the boards of those companies regulate themselves and shareholders are always hovering around. For example, in the Public Investment Corporation, currently the finance minister, any finance minister or the finance minister in office at the time just wakes up after year three of the board and replaces everybody and they appoint whoever they choose. Of course, they will place those superficial advertisements which have no serious requirements whatsoever, and therefore professionals asset management and life insurance professionals really stay away from applying for those. But then becomes the system of the people who normally are unemployed and unemployable, who are really in good terms with the people currently in office and government. That does need to change if you need to safeguard those investments held by Deputlent Investment Corporation. Of course, should that change, we also need to get to a point where the PIC ceases to be a defined benefit contribution, where people are guaranteed what they will get as they put in. You and I, our pensions are managed through the open market and we depend on the outcomes of market performance of the time, whereas the civil servants, the tax players are underwriters of that fund. That does need to change in order to bring about modernization, professionalism on the board, and certainly to take away power from the politicians, who we know what politicians do when they come in contact with money or the possibility of managing other people's money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, I mean a big part of it isn't it is the unlisted investment portfolio, because the listed investment portfolio we can kind of see. But is that way we need to have a lot more scrutiny. I mean, that's the daybreak story.
Speaker 6: Really stephn on all of.
Speaker 11: Those and I must say the understood portfolio is only about one hundred and seventy billion rent to one hundred and ninety billion rates out of three trillion rents in assets. The fact that you know or you can see where the assets were invested in terms of the listed companies and in terms of bonds and government debt doesn't change the fact that the people that were appointed to manage the funds are themselves accountable to very questionable people. To put questionable politicians. It becomes worse than when it comes to the understood funds because you really have no clue where the money goes. I don't know how big the mandate of the of the management team is in order to sign off on individual investments, but whatever the size is. In normal companies, boards will will go sorry, the executive management team will go to the board for final approval or on a big investment that's regulated by the Takeover Regulation Panel, it's regulated by the Companies Act, it's regulated by other market forces. When it comes to the PAC, you don't really see that kind of rigorous regulation, which again has direct impacts on the performance of the fund and the performance of the or other The fortunes of the only beneficiars of that fund. It does need to change and has been needing to change, particularly in the state culture era the last fifteen years.
Speaker 3: Definitely second Narti man Chancha, thanks so much. Journalist with News twenty four investigations the My show Business books well, astonishingly over the weekend, Elon Musk claiming he'll be starting his own political party. He says, both the Republicans and the Democrats are failing Americans. But the real reason, I suppose, probably presumably there's this break with Donald Trump, the president of the big beautiful bill that was passed last week. Well, it's either just lack or sheer production excellence. That tonight your business book, because Hubris Maximus, it's the Shattering of Elon Musk. By phayase Zaddiki, a journalist at the Washington Post, joining us now, pay is a good day to you. Ready to appreciate the time. Congratulations on the book. Someone like Elon Musk fascinating, complicated. Mercurial might be a word that people use. The subject of several biographies, you focused primarily on some of his disputes, his fights, his arguments with regulators. Why did you focus on that? What did you think was so interesting about that. What does adelask?
Speaker 12: Hey, So, first of all, thank you for having me. I think, I mean, we've seen the proof kind of play out regarding his dispute with the President of the United States. We've seen sort of the proof of the idea, I suppose. I think the book gives readers a preview of the way that these spats played out with regulators, as you mentioned, or safety investigators or officials at you know, every seemingly every possible level of government or official life. You know, Musk would engage in what seemed like at times petty disputes or disputes that were not necessarily helpful to his businesses, but you know they were to advance, you know, what he believed was right. And we've seen this dynamic now play out with a person who some might argue is the most powerful in the world. And you know that attitude of Musks extends even to the presidency of the United States.
Speaker 3: You detail in one account there was an investigation into one of his cause that was involved in an accident, and it really mattered because it was about the sort of quote unquote auto driving feature of a tastelet, right, and he's speaking to I think it's you called it. The National Traffic Safety Board in the US. He's actually being interviewed formally over the phone by an investigations and halfway through he gets so annoyed that he just put the phone down. I mean, that's an astonishing sort of insight into his character, right.
Speaker 12: I mean, in companies you know, who have been under the microscope and you know, this type of scrutiny from the National Transportation Safety Board have obviously you know, reacted, not reacted positively right to those types of investigations. But the seeming breach of the established protocols to conduct this kind of investigation, and the lack of recognition of the goal, which you know, for the NTSB at that point seemed to be gathering information in the interest of advancing safety at you know, at any cost, even if it has to be an uncomfortable conversation. You know, that lack of recognition from from Musk was evident early on. You know, he just does not want to play that game if it's going to result in you know, discomfort, unexpected or unwanted scrutiny, or potentially.
Speaker 5: Get in the way of his broader ambitions.
Speaker 3: There's been acres of what we used to say newsprint, but by which I mean discussion here in commentary about whether part of Elon Musk's character in the way has behaved in the US is because of his upbringing here, and whether it's a sign of maybe I don't know, as a sort of time in which he was growing up, a sign of disrespectable authority, or maybe just feeling that he's better than everyone else. That doesn't seem to be a big feature of your book necessarily, but I mean, do you think that's I mean, dude, do you think Americans see it like that, that he's like that because he's from here.
Speaker 12: I think I have encountered that attitude obviously, as you mentioned, you know, it's not a feature, you know, of discussion in the book, but I do think it occurs to people that, you know, maybe the specific conditions of Musk's upbringing and some of what I do go into, you know, the bullying he faced as a child, or you know, his family life. You know, this idea of competition, of you know, a zero sum game. You know, like these things factoring into his business and you know, managerial style. It's not it's not like a you know, for completely foreign idea. Do Americans view it that way? I think certainly this question came up at a time when the Trump administration was looking to take in immigrants from South Africa.
Speaker 1: You know, well.
Speaker 3: The issues around Twitter, around X and I mean, I'm someone who years ago used to love X and now haven't tweeted full over a year just because he seems to have destroyed it. Maybe it was hitting that way anyway. But at one point, you say, he sent an email to employees that they had to commit to quite enjoyed this phrase hardcore Twitter, astoniesting thing to say, but the writing was on the wall. He was going to turn next into what it is.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean, and this is another area where there seems to be a principle at play. It's this free speech absolutism, free speech maximalism. You know, let's welcome back individuals who or accounts whose suspension Musk objected to. But then, as the book lays out, there were times when there seemed to be arbitrary decision making that worked in Musk's favor, where you know, there were accounts that were you know, not necessarily Musk's favorite, who were subjected to discipline or were not you know, accepted on the platform. If you look at journalists in particular, if you look at an account that was tracking the location of Musk's private jet and the treatment of that account. So for all of the discussion that Twitter then became this cesspool and it was in the interest of free speech. There were now questions about whether Musk was actually abiding by the tenant.
Speaker 3: That he laid out, which was free speech absolutism. There's a quote that there's a graveyard of his enemies. It's a quote described to him. Actually, there is a long list of people who've gone up against him, and most of them have kind of been flattened. How's he been able to run over so many people so strong? I mean, obviously he is clever. I mean, let's just accept that. But there must be something more to it. There's a force of personality.
Speaker 12: I think that is an area where the comparisons to President Trump seems strongest. Right, these are individuals who repeatedly have not faced the same consequences as you know, comparable individuals in their positions would, Right, and so how has Musk been able to, you know, I suppose get away with it all? He has this platform and he now own there's a platform that he now owns which allows him tremendous influence. He is also the richest person in the world, and for a time he was a close ally and you know, key advisor to the US President. So it's just an illustration of the power and the concentrated power that he has commanded.
Speaker 3: I was a little bit surprised that. I mean, look, like everybody, we kind of expected to bust up between Musk and Trump. But on all things, the issue of US government debt, it's not sexy, it's not interesting, is very important. Musk may actually be on the right side of the argument. Do you think this was a relationship that they were just looking for the right rock to break it on?
Speaker 12: Not necessarily, And I take the point, but not necessarily, because if you look at Musk's history, you know, when he has a goal in mind, and you know, there can be arguments on whether that is the right goal, whether that is the righteous thing to do, whether it's you know, morally the correct principle. But when he has a goal in mind, it is difficult to deter him from that specific goal. And that's a personality trait that I like to think is you know, laid out repeatedly within the book that you know, if he is focused on one aspect of the company or one of the areas of technology that he's overseeing, you know, he cannot be deterred from that easily. And you know, cutting federal spending and reducing the national debt was one of the tenants he laid out. Of course, people wonder like, why why is he so focused on that He's hinted at, like it's in service of this other goal to you know, get humanity to Mars. So if he sees it as genuinely obstructing the goal, it stands to reason that, all right, he is now going to you know, mount to fight against it.
Speaker 3: He's not going to change course. Is He's not going to change behavior. It's worked for him. That's how he'll see it. He's clever and better than everyone else. And I mean, this is how he is.
Speaker 12: I mean, I was frankly a bit surprised that he dialed back his attacks on Trump, and you know, he even said, you know, he regretted that some of it seemed to have gone too far. That felt like recognition that you know, maybe this was not a fight, that that you know, would serve his best interests. But yeah, no, in general, he's not someone to back down.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much. Indeed, by his Sidiki really appreciate the time. The book is ubers Maximus The Shattering of Elon Musk. Some of his disputes make for fascinating reading. Just gone seven thirty Money.
Speaker 2: So how I make my money?
Speaker 3: Well, you may, of course know, there are lots of different roos to end up in certain different fields, but not many people do a degree in art history and end up running an auction house. One of them is Susie Goodman, now the executive director of Strass and Co. Susie good Evening, and thanks so much for being to spend some time with us on the Money Show tonight.
Speaker 9: Oh Seger, thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: You started by studying a history of art degree at uct Art and let me just let me just get this out the way. Art had no fascination for me when I was at school. Clearly it was very different for you.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 9: Yes, And luckily I also have a few genes in my family and both my mother studied art in Johannesburg and my dad was a wildlife photographer. So I suppose the apple didn't fall very far from the tree, but they certainly weren't involved in auctions.
Speaker 3: Okay. And at the time when you started studying history of art, did you think this is what I was going to do, because there aren't many ways to make money with that degree.
Speaker 9: Oh, you're absolutely right, and no. I actually also did take geography just as a sideline because I thought maybe I better branch out a bit. But I was very lucky. I realized that actually there are many different facets to the art world, and auctioneering is actually something that lots of people don't talk about or don't know about, and particularly in this part of the world, the secondary market is a small market. So I was lucky. I did a post graduate degree that taught me about the magic of the auction world and how you can sell anything. And I did think that I would be a jewelry specialist, which is, as much as I love jewelry, I like too many things now, so I think maybe I'm more of a generalist.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I mean the number of times that I've seen in auction, I haven't seen many. I do remember as a child watching someone on the side of a road just auctioning whatever it was that they had, and I found it fascinating. There's clearly something that you find I don't know if it's a vibe a feeling, but something mesmerizing about a good.
Speaker 9: Auction there certainly is. And actually, just as a sideline story, I was asked by Tito as you know, which is a training institute in this country, to help be involved in training auctionais, and I had to say that I experienced the wide variety of auctioneers. So you have cattle auctioneers, car auctioneers, property auctioneers, art auctioneers, and I sometimes think that's quite fun because we talk very differently. So there was a wonderful Zimbarbie auctionnaire who you sell tobacco, and he started before me and he was going but I like that, and I was like, oh my goodness, and I had to come after him and go to two thousand, two thousand, two hundred, two thousand, five hundred. So it was quite amusing. But the thing that grabs me about an auction is is that it's the culmination of an amazing journey of finding artworks to sell on behalf of the seller and obviously presenting them to the future buyer, and then working with the buyer and putting and placing them in a collection. But the bit about auctions that rarely really grab me is that you don't raally know what's going to happen on the night, because yes you've got a value, yes you've got a reserve, yes you've got people interested. But if you have all of the ingredients, you've got two or three people who land up fighting for it, you can the numbers get bigger, and the excitement gets bigger, and the adrenaline gets drive faster. And I think that's the bit I just love that magic, is that the ultimate price is defined when the hammer falls. But I like that drama. I love the fact that you don't know who's going to be on the phone or who's going to be in the room. So for me, it's a it's an amazing privilege to be able to sell art this way.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's interesting that's actually quite a few movies that, now that I think about it, have scenes involving auctions because of that inherent drama. It's it's actually I imagine being part of it is far better than watching anyone trying to create a fictional account of it.
Speaker 9: It absolutely is. And I'm sure you realize that a few weeks ago we sold the painting for thirty one million rand, and I promise you you could have heard not only a pin drop, but you could hear everyone inhaling as the price drew and exhaling as the next person bid, and it was just it was, yeah, you can't make it up. But it's the most extraordinary. It's the most extraordinary sensation. But also it is you know, it's full of it's like a performance, but it's not really a performance because it's real life. So I think that's that's the bit that it does catch you. It is evoperative, So you're right. There are lots of movies that have very good looking people taking auctions, and there tends to be sort of a Thomas Crown Affair moment when something gets pinched off the wall. But luckily that doesn't happen too often, so it's you know, but it does. It does create the sort of magic of I suppose prestige and celebrities and numbers, but I often remind people that we auction things with just as much passion for a thousand round as we do from aly a million round, million round, gets a bit scary, but we do sell all varieties of pricing by auction.
Speaker 3: And I mean there is there is as much excitement when something that's relatively at relatively low cost is suddenly increasing in value as opposed to something you expect to go for a lot. I mean, in a way, something you expect to go for a thousand round going for two thousand, it's a lot more exciting than something you expect to go for a million going for one too.
Speaker 9: Absolutely. And actually the bit that Steven that sometimes is really humbling bit is that because we deal with the people who's selling, often we know the story about why someone's selling, and so you can see the person who's brought the work in for a valiation day, and perhaps they're very desperate for some money, or they're trying to pay their university fees, or they're trying to put the deposit down in a house, and they've got this sort of that whole of works of art that they're hoping they can realize a little bit of money towards those dreams. And then those works start climbing, and the share amazement when somebody they're getting a thousand round and they get two and a half thousand rund, or they're thinking something which we value the five thousand round. Suddenly people are fighting over it and we sell it for twenty five thousand round. Those moments are so incredible and are so joyful. There is also the sad side when someone is desperately needing it and then something doesn't sell, and that's hard because that also the reality of business. Not everything finds a home, as much as we try to find homes. But it's that sort of emotion of you're not quite sure. We say it's a value, and then it goes for the right amount or what go above it, and that moment is also quite exciting.
Speaker 3: Are there certain things that you that you find this happens to this sort of a level of excitement than others? And I'm presuming in my own head, I'm thinking that this must happen to works of art where you get a much higher price, a much more exciting auction than almost anything else. I mean, yes, maybe they're fancy cars or elon musks, mug or something, and that I'm presuming it's art where you're more likely to have that happen.
Speaker 9: I think you're right, because there is you know, as a lot of people know art is not a you know, it's not bread or milk or your necessities. It's an amazing privilege to have a piece of art owner. It gives you joy, It gives a different satisfaction to an essential necessity. So I think there's which comes with auctions.
Speaker 3: Is that an.
Speaker 9: Amazing feeling of I love it, I've fallen in love with it, I like it, I want to collect it, I need to own it. I would love to have it on my wall. So there's emotion in it that sometimes a little bit less. It's very different to maybe somebody who's trying to buy a card a second hand auction, because that's probably just a pure transactional fact. But the bit that I think the bit that is special about those moments in.
Speaker 6: The auction world.
Speaker 9: You have stories, and an artwork keeps that story with it because if somebody, for example, bought it from the artists and has owned it in their collection for a while, and they knew the artists, and they follow on and say they've made it for a wedding or they made it for a birthday, those stories keep going with the picture as much as we can hopefully recall it or they're a wonderful story about who owned something or it was in the collection, as you know, you mentioned somebody like David Bowie. All of those things have stories that I bought something from a David Bowie's collection. What it encourages encourages evocative competitive bidding because you want a slice of it, and that you don't get when you're doing secondhand cards.
Speaker 3: For sure, there is some artwork which is incredibly contentsial. I can think of one example. I spent as a as an e WN reporter a couple of days outside a gallery which there's the same name that you do that very controversial artwork, and that I mean that must it must have come as a surprise to all involved. Then I think it did. But there must be times when you look at a piece of work and you think, sure there's a controversial story, or it's a controversial piece, or they're the person who created it, or maybe a previous owner is now controversial. Actually I don't know if I want to touch this.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think that's I think that comes with I think that's a very good point, and I think that comes with the story of things. And I think the one thing that I've learned about the art world is that everybody, there's something for everybody, and there's different tastes for different people, and there are different genres for different subjects. If something has had a you know, for example, an artwork that's been damaged on artwork that has been if you take actually which you reported on, if you take that artwork that we handle the stolen pioneers in a sense, not that we could auction it because it belongs to the state, but the story behind that is so intriguing. I mean it is if it ever came up to auction, it would it would increase in value. I mean they say in the auction world they are aspects that you always put into too value, which is the collection that comes from how good a piece, what condition is, in what period it was painted. You know, with the wow factor, that work would have a wow factor, and it would it would cause a stir of excitement because it has such an intriguing story with it. You're right, not every story you want, not every story you can you necessary. Maybe you want to pass on that sense, but you also have to realize that the artwork is still a wonderful artwork whether you like it or not. Might not be your taste, but it might appeal to somebody else. They tend to I think that's what's quite nice about art. It tends to find the homes that needs to go to. But I do find the story intriguing. I mean when you when you meet somebody who inherited something or got it from the artists, or I mean the other day, because we sold the treat Chikoff, there was another client who had a Treachy Coff they sold and they bought it directly from the artist, and her husband died. So she phoned up Tretchi Coff and said should I sell it? And he said absolutely not. You must wait until I'm really really dead. And you know, those kind of stories are quite fun, but they make it sort of I don't know, it's quite nice. If you had it on your wall, you could retell it. So that maybe I like the auction world too, because it's about people. Somebody made the art, somebody's going to own it. Somebody will own it, so I guess it's the cycle of life.
Speaker 5: Really.
Speaker 3: It's an astonishing comment by Trichikov to say that, but I mean, I'm afraid to say probably correct, Yes, it is when you started, you actually went over season. You went to Christie's and there renowned auctioneers in the UK, where many I mean, I can't think of out the places really in South Africa that you could have learned art auctioneering. I mean, there aren't many options to sort of get into that business.
Speaker 9: No, it's a much smaller pool here. I was very lucky to go and work at Christie's and I was very lucky to try. You have to go through an auctioneering course. I was a little bit cheeky because we went on the court and we were bidding, and we were learning how to breathe and to do the increments. And at Christie's they run the auction book, so where the auctioneer has the estimates and the reserves and the bids, they run it in code. So they use in case somebody stole the auctionaires book, they wouldn't be able to read the increments of the people's bids that have been left, so they use a sort of code, which is you have to learn and then you have to do a practice. And now all of these auctioneers looking at you. And when I started auctioneering, there were only four women globally that were auctionaeers, so it was quite fun to break some of those barriers. But I was a little bit cheeky because the auctionnaire, who was sort of running that day, said to me, I don't quite understand what you're saying. So I said, oh, which bit? He said, Are you saying the bid is on the left or are you saying the bid is in the lift? And so I thought, oh my goodness, so I said no, I think maybe it's my accent. So he said, oh, oh, oh, yes, perhaps, And I said, now, an auction entre, an international company, wouldn't it be good to have a South African accent? So I was a bit duty but luckily I was able to do it, and it was the first auction I took. I remember standing in the rostrum and South Kensington was a sort of part of the Christie'sburg had King Street in South Kensington, and South Kensington had this wonderful atmosphere of selling house sale contents and silver and furniture, so it was quite There was quite a lot of lots and they let me cut my teeth on a silver sale and I remember standing up and going, oh my goodness, this is real money. Because until you get to that moment, which is a culmination between the buyer and the seller, it sort of his numbers. But suddenly the reality of like, oh, this is really a lot of money. But it was only fifty pounds. But still I think the nerves and what I was doing, it was like, oh, but the fun part about it is that you get your style, you get your flow. I talk fast, as you know, and so I got the sales that had a lot of loss, so you had to get through three hundred lots. And they would say, suesue, you do it because you can talk quickly. But when we were training, and I'm sure other auctionaiers that maybe have experiences too, one of the people who are training I said, you know, sometimes in the middle of an auction, you can because you can be up there for two or three hours. They said, you know, sometimes your mind just wonders and you can find yourself thinking, oh, my goodness, you know what's for dinner? And I remember thinking that's impossible because there's too many things between the increments and the clients and the telephone bids and the code. And then I suddenly one auction was dowding there going oh, should we have chicken or maybe we should have beef. So you do find your mind is working fast, but it can wonder. But the tempo is important. So as I mentioned earlier, you know, cattle auctionaiers have a different tempo. We do too. When you're selling something like wine, you definitely go faster than when you're selling you know, a big tentridge or an erma sterne in the millions that you have to you have to CeNSE the room and you have to use the style of bidding an increments that suit what you're selling.
Speaker 3: There's so much to it, all right. We're speaking to Susie Goodman, the executive director of Strauss and Co. She's an art auctioneer How she makes her money on The Money Show Tonight.
Speaker 10: The Money Show with Steven Chrutez is brought to you by APPSOL Corporate and Investment Bag Browse, sponsor of the African Blockchain Report twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Four, The Money Show, How I Make My Money.
Speaker 3: Susie Goodman is the executive director of Strauss and Cosey's the art auctionneier. We speaking to her this evening. Susie, they when you started, I'm presuming that auctions were really in personal on the phone. I'm presuming they're done in lots of different ways.
Speaker 5: Now, sure, that's a very good question, he is.
Speaker 9: Since COVID, they're completely transformed. Before COVID, we have a room of three or four hundred people an auction. Post COVID, we're grateful when they're fifty people in the room and we've got six hundred people watching us online, and obviously then we've got a bank of telephones and people's bids in our book. So I did find myself in the middle of COVID looking at it as a sort of computer and a camera and thinking, my goodness, that people watching us, but we've got no connection, and you sort of imagine then what are people doing? Are they working or making tea or eating supper. One client told us that when we had a live auction, we sort of became their sort of evening entertainment because you could see us, but we couldn't see them. So, yeah, it's the personal side. Sometimes that's a bit I missed, because when somebody's bidding in the room, there is definitely a rapport. You can see if someone you know could possibly bid again, or they've had enough and it has its I guess you have to adapt. But then we're also very grateful because so many more people are bidding, so many more people accessing artworks on the art community and the art market on the southern part of the continent because of the digitalization. So I think it's got a very big, shiny silver lining, even though we might miss the nuances of being able to use someone in the room and you often can. You know, there's those great stories like you mentioned in the movies where somebody comes into an auction room and they're sort of waving at their friend to see their seat, and you, as the auctionaire, I can make a little bit of a jokert and say, you know, are you bidding, and then you know, two hundred thousand for you, and they suddenly go, oh, no, no, no, I was just waving. So those wonderful moments that add to the atmosphere are a little bit different when you're looking at you know, TV and six hundred people watching.
Speaker 3: It, I can imagine. I mean, I presume then that the more people who are in the room, whether they're virtually or actually in the room, the more people bidding, the greater the chance that you're going to get higher than you expected. I mean, the more people are involved, the more money for the seller.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 9: Yes, And obviously there's some lots that attract a lot of bidding, particularly and that's when you get some of those fantastic prices, and lots attract one person. But when you've got a good sale that's been well marketed and we've reached goodbye, then it should make for a better felty rate and many more of the lots in the art sales cell. So I think, yes, you do. You do want to have lots of people online. I mean, even if they're just watching there, maybe understanding the process so that they can bid or sell. And I think that's you know, there's also an intrigue like, oh my goodness, I'd love to see what that work. I saw it, I viewed it, but I'd love to see what it actually fetched. At the end of the day, you mentioned something about training, and I think that's one thing that I think was really important about being in London because it's such a big market. The nuances of the rules and regulations around auctions and art auctions in particular is incredibly important. Because when I was at Christie's there was the big anti you know, antitrust case between Southeysi and Christie's when they colluded over commission, and of course it all went to court and as you know, what happened. But for us, it was an amazing place to learn properly the rules and the transparency and how you do it and how the increments works. So, you know, because I think there's an understanding, sometimes people think I don't quite understand it is what I'm getting the right thing. And because we learnt and we work with the international rules, we very much coherently make sure that we are applying you know, the right You're not bidding off the chandelier. Sometimes people can accuse us of because it's misunderstanding, and I think that was one of the biggest privileges of being in a big pond. Those rules and regulations were very, very defined.
Speaker 3: The future of auctioneering. I have a horrible vision of a sort of AI bart trying to conduct an online auction, and on one level, you could do that in text quite easily. I can't imagine that it would be any fun for some people. That wouldn't necessarily matter. But do you worry that the role of an auctioneer could be diminished over time.
Speaker 9: I think there's always going to be you know, I really look at a pure online sale. There's always a place for that because you're able to sell things over a while without having somebody in the rostrum talking for days. But I don't think you could replace an auctioneer in a high value sale or a sale that has important works, because sometimes things go wrong. Sometimes somebody builds on the wrong lot and then you have to reverse it, and you have to undo it and say no, let's start again. Those nuances of the sort of flying plates in a Greek kitchen scenario, those things can't You wouldn't be able to use a bot to manage it. It would be too many. You'd have to train it for a long time to learn some of the scenarios that auctioneers have to use on their feet or adapt in a situation. But I think it would take take out too much of the Yeah, I don't think you'd get the drama and the excitement and the nuances and the character. I think a bot would be very clinical, and yeah, I hope not, because it would be it wouldn't be nearly as fun having a challenge of I don't think I'd get the timing. They definitely wouldn't get the problem solving aspect, because those things you do have to think on your feet. If somebody, you know, suddenly someone wants to split an increment, how is the bot going to know? Was? Brodie could train it, but it wouldn't be nearly as fun to be able to sell everything by an AAI generated Bob.
Speaker 3: So much about AI is Yes, it could be done, but what would be the point? And I think this is a good example of that. Susie, Thank you. I really enjoyed talking to you, and it's always wonderful to speak to someone who enjoys.
Speaker 11: What they do.
Speaker 9: Yeah, certainly, dear, I'm really lucky. Thank you guys for having me.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Susie Goodman, the executive director of Strauss and Co. How she makes her money on The Money Show.
Speaker 10: The Money Show with Stephen Kroudez is brought to you by Absolute Corporate and Investment Bank BROUD, sponsor of the African Blockchain Report twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Well Wall Street Down tonight the US President Donald Trump saying he'd impose twenty five percent some goods from Japan and South Korea starting at the end of the month, starting on the first of August to be precise, and that's pushing the Dow Jones down a percent, the NAAZEC down point eighty six, sorry, the stick downpoint eighty eight, and the S and P five hundred down point eight six. You can imagine, of course, the impact that that is going to have. We'll find out a little bit more about it all tomorrow, which is when we will read jo Any, thanks for being with us tonight, you with the Money Show. It's eight o'clock