Speaker 1: Well as ESKIM continues its campaign to get everyone with the solar installation registered by March next year. At the new warnings that actually, if you have a solar installation, you might be paying quite a high fixed charge to ESKIM. That's even if your system is currently properly registered with ESKIM or with your council. Professor Vali Padiachi is a former executive manager of ESKUM and a former senior executive of City Power in Johannesburg. Is a power and energy expert. A value good evening. So, as I understand it, anyone who uses electricity is going to have paid to maintain the network. Okay, I get that. What kind of fee then, can someone who's relying on solar force a sixty percent of their domestic use, their home use, how much would they expect to pay in terms of a network fee? Would it be quite a big amount?
Speaker 2: Living stevening to you and your listener and thank you for inviting me to the Bunny Show. Yes, in fact, that fee a bunch of related fee, but it would be a reasonable fee. And it's also contextual. I mean, depending on the user, it could be i or low. But there's definitely a fee, and my understanding is that that it comes with a free smart meter, and would the three smart meter together with all the applications that goes with it, it's about nine to ten thousand lands Steven.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is only if you're continuing to use Eskum while you're using solar as your primary source of electricity. In other words, if you're off the grid entirely, you don't need to worry about this, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, In other words, you only if you're grid tied. And let me define good tide. Good tide means obviously you're connected to the grid, but it also means that even if you don't generate, but you are good tie, than you're liabel for the fees we goad tore the misnomer from developer than some of the users that even if you're collated to the grid and you don't generate, you're off grid. Now you're also good tyed.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if you are then using solar, so you use so you're buying a lot less electricity from eskin. Would you be paying a higher network fee per mega what hour than someone who only uses Eskum and therefore uses more Eskim electricity. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that if you have a solar installation and you use say, let's just say that someone who's using Eskim completely is using one hundred percent, right, if you're only using forty percent because you're using solar for the other sixty percent, would the network fee per mega what hour be higher for you?
Speaker 2: Well, I think if you do the mathematics, it would it would default to that. But but just to make it simple, Steven in other words, whether you use the grid or not, but if you're good tired, you'll pay a fee. And so the advantage is if you want to get the advantages of your having the grid of the backup, you would use the solar. But it's no use you, I mean transpenity that that you're good tired and you don't use that network. And I would probably say, if you've got an holiday own, a set to be corrected day. But I think I'm correct If you've got an holiday own and you're good tired, then then I think you'll be liable for if it's judged whether you use or not.
Speaker 1: Okay, So there would be a fixed network fee of X and it doesn't matter how much electricity you use, you would pay the same network fee.
Speaker 2: Yes, because well understandably, Steven, when you say maintained that a people's that's there twenty four by seven. That's keeping the grid alive, maintaining it and keeping it in the float for the for the user who probably at two o'clock in the morning, who doesn't have any wind to generate, would default to the grid, and it's there available for you. So you pay for that service, Steven, and I say that with all hubility and with the utmost respect. So it's not an elegant response.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, sure, I get that. I think what's really changing here is that in the past you might have expected to pay a higher network fee for more electricity that you use. Now it would be the same no matter how much you use.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think just to also clarify that, to make it a bit more simpler. In other words, you are if you're good tired, and the fee that SCOM is asking for it, and also the municipalities we'll also ask for that is that because you're using the grid battery. So if you didn't use the grid at the battery, if you were totally off the grid and if there are those sun and wind, you would have had to have a backup battery yourself. So whether you get it yourself or you're getting it from utility, you're paying for that.
Speaker 1: Professor Vali, thank you so much. Former executive manager of ESKU and former senior executive at City Power and Power and energy expert. Listening to that, Wayne Duvinage, the CEO of the organization Undoing Tax Abuse, Wayne good evening, is this a reasonable approach by Eskiman Municipalities?
Speaker 2: Ah?
Speaker 3: Yes, Stevens. It's quite frustrating, you know, to have government incentivizing the public to go off grid use you know, find alternatives, give you incentives through sars, begging you to go of grid, and when you do so, and then they realize the is now going to hurt economic model. They want to charge you more if you are off grid or not completely off grid, but if you have alternative electricity and they're putting it, by the way, just on solar, and there's a lot of irrationality. So let me just explain to you. Somebody next door has a solar system and you next door to them build a house. It is extremely efficient and you have let's say gas as thoves and gas skeezers, which you can do and you're not connected to a solar system, but you've reduced all your electricity. You're not going to pay, but you've also taken away a lot of the use of Eskam's electricity. And if you're at the coast, by the way, you can introduce a system, a battery part system that is partner by very efficient small home installed wind generators, but it doesn't apply to them. So there's an inconsistency here. And I think what Eskin needs to know is that the public are our getting frustrated with us, and I don't think they're going to have a big uptake with this registration process. It's going to be a crunch come March April next year and they're going to have a big problem with this issue.
Speaker 1: The other thing it seems to me is that if someone has the money to get a solar system, they probably can also spend another twenty thousand round on a backup generator for when they can't use solar, and it would be cheaper in the longer run. Anyone who's still financing the home with a bond might find this easier and the longer run to just go off grid completely cut escum. Yes, you will need to hassle of running a generator, but you would save a lot more money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you will, especially if that fee starts to You know a lot of people have reduced their home electricity bill bar let's say two and a half thousand and three thousand now here they come with this additional network fee of another one thousand round you are going to do the sums and you know, you get very efficient generators these days, gas generators, quiet generators, and you'll take every thing else of the system. I mean a guess gizer now far more efficient than electricity geezers and guests stove, so you literally will need very little of electricity. So the push to now go off grid, as they said, as these additional fixed fee and network charges come on board, is going to be, I think as ESKUM shooting themselves in the foot. It's going to push a lot of people to say, well, let's go that extra twenty percent and go off grid completely. And that's not going to do ESKIM all the municipalities any favors.
Speaker 1: Wayne duven Age is the CEO at the organization I'm doing tax abuse,