Speaker 1: Now, as I mentioned at the top of the hour, for consumer Talk today with things doing things a little bit differently since Wendy isn't available today, So for this first conversation taking us to the headlines with Zulfa, we're going to be looking at the difference between motor plans and motor warranties and the problem with them is that you often find out the difference between the two only when something has gone wrong with your car and you realize that you are not covered for the repair. And we're going to be speaking in just a second to Erica Liedenberg from Just Money to explain the difference and what you should be looking out for. And then the second half of the hour, we're going to be talking about how a tech platform is helping South Africans to access their unclaimed benefits from, among others, the retirement industry. Did you know there's more than ninety billion rand in unclaimed assets in the country, some of it could be yours. All right. Let's start though, with looking at the difference between a motor plan and a motor warranty and to make sure that you are choosing the right one when buying a car and in ensuring that you've got the right one, that you therefore have the right cover when those unforeseen car repairs hit. We've got to Erica Liebenberg from Just Money with Us, and that is a platform that helps consumers make good money choices, which I'm here for. Erica, thanks very much indeed for joining us. Money is tight for an awful lot of South African households, and just the thought of suddenly being slapped with an unexpected car repair bill can make things very, very difficult for most of us. Give us an idea, you know, I mean, what's the range when it comes to what repairs could generally cost. I suppose it's how long is a piece of string?
Speaker 2: It is to an extent, Sarah Jane. But you know, we've sort of got some starting points that we can consider. So you know, of the twelve million self propelled vehicles that are registered in South Africa as of November last year, most of them are cars and station wagons. So it just gives you an indication of how many cars are actually on the road and for each of those vehicles, you know, obviously maintenance where and tear services, all of those things are an issue. You know, if you have a look at labor rates at franchise dealerships, you're looking at anything between eight hundred to fifteen hundred grand per hour, So that's just for labor. And then parts are very often important. So if they're not after market parts, meaning you know, non genuine parts, if you like, not Toyota specific or manufactured by Toyota, you know, those are slightly cheaper, but the genuine parts are often imported. And you know, certainly when your vehicle's at the beginning of its life, you want to be going to a registered franchise. You want to be using the right parts, you know, the genuine parts, because that all affects your vehicle resell value as well. Once your service plan runs out or once your vehicle gets a little bit older, people tend to start looking more towards those after market parts. Those are a little bit cheaper. But to give you an indication, if you need to replace your brake pads on a mid rad you're looking at two thousand to three and a half thousand grand. A clutch replacement on a hatchback can cost you ten thousand grand. And then if you look at premium vehicles, you're looking at fifty thousand grand or more if a turbocharger or gearbox goes, and believe me when I tell you, they go and usually at the least convenient times, and generally when your maintenance plan or your warranty has just run out. Most listeners would be able to relate to that.
Speaker 1: So let's talk through those two things that Normally when you buy a car, the dealership tries to sell you a motor plan or a warranty, and these terms are often used interchangeably. But they're not the same thing, are they What is the difference?
Speaker 2: No, absolutely not the same thing at all, Sarah Jane, and crucial to know what the difference is. It's important to note as well, many new cars do come with both a motor plan and warranty bundle together, and then it becomes even more confusing as you know in general that you're covered. But a motor plan basically helps you manage the cost of keeping your car in good running condition, meaning it may include a service plan and a maintenance plan or both. That's your motor plan, so a warranty and will break down what a service plan the maintenance plan are and what the differences are. But if we look at a motor warranty that's also called a factory or manufacturer warranty, and that's always automatically included with a new car because that's a requirement, and it usually lasts for a six period like three to five years, or up to a certain mileage like one hundred thousand or even two hundred thousand kilometers. But it only covers unexpected mechanical or electrical failures in key components like your engine or gearbox, or if a part fails suddenly going to a manufacturing fault. What it doesn't cover is if a part wears out over time, and it doesn't cover your routine services. That's what your motor plan is for.
Speaker 1: It's it's a guarantee of the of the the quality of the car essentially in the you know, it's not wear and tear. If you drive you know, this car, then then obviously there's going to be where in tear. But it's it's a it's a guarantee of this is we we put our name on this for X number of years.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's that in a very similar way to buying a large electrical appliance. Yeah, you know, if you buy a you know, a reputable brand dishwasher or you know, fridge for example, that will come with a warranty. And again as exactly as you say, that's the stamp of quality from the manufacturer to say, you know, we certify that we know that this product is going to last you at least x amount of time. If anything goes wrong within that time, that owes to a manufacturing fault, we stand by our product and will cover it for you. But if you slam the fridge door hard and the handle comes off in your hand, that is not going to be covered. That's wear and tear, and very similar with a motor plant. So if we break down what a motor plant is, that is a service plan. It can be comprised of one or both of these things. Either a service plan which covers the cost of your routine services according to the manufacturer's schedule. So that would be you know, for example, your tenenty fifteen, twenty five, thousand, and so forth, services that are required. If you want your cart to stay in good working condition, and that includes laboring parts, then you might also, as part of your motor plan, have a maintenance plan, and that includes everything in a service plan, plus the replacement of parts that wear and tear over time, or we're out over time, like brake pads, the clutch, the battery. It will also cover mechanical and electrical failure, so you know, in that respect you would probably find a little bit of overlap between a motor warranty and a maintenance plan. But again, the warranty will not cover you for anything related to wear and tear. That's where your maintenance plan kicks in.
Speaker 1: If you're just joining us this afternoon, it is consumer talk, no Wendy this afternoon though. Instead we're looking at a couple of issues that we thought you might like to be aware of. The First one, we have asked Erica Liebenberg from Just Money to drop by and help us out to understand the difference between a motor plan and a motor warranty. When you buy a car, I wonder, then what options might one have, Erica, when the cover expires, what other options are there for you to kind of offset the costs of repairing your cart, Because for some people, they're never going to be in a position they might be able to afford a monthly premium, but they might not be in a position to be able to afford fifty thousand round for a you know, to redo their gears or whatever.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely, there are quite a few options available, thankfully, because I think very very few of us are in the fortunate position of being able to cover such high repair cost. The first would be if it's available to buy an extended warranty or buy an extended service or maintenance plan or bor if those are offered. So if you buy an extended warranty, this will cover the same things or most of the same things as an original warranty, some mechanical and electrical failures, but it's very very important to check what's included in that. And then your extended service or maintenance plan. Again, that would cover your routine servicing if it's a service plan, or your wear and tear items if it's a maintenance plan. And you can buy those extended service and maintenance plans for specific time frames or mileage limits. And again it varies widely in terms of what they cover, so it's absolutely crucial before you part with money, which can be between fifteen to thirty thousand grand, you know that you check what is included in those extended plans. The other option that you've got, and it's the one that you noted, and I think very few people are in that position. As you also noted, is to pay out of pocket, so that would give you probably the most flexibility, but it leaves you hugely exposed to sudden and potentially very large expenses. The other idea is to actually have a dedicated savings account set aside, so you literally put a certain amount of money each month into that savings account to cover your future car costs. We call this self insurance in a sense. But it's important that if you're going to take that option that you understand you may still have a shortfall. It could still be substantial depending on what you're sitting aside, and it's crucial to put your money in a high interest bearing account. It's got to at least keep up with inflation rates, otherwise your money is just going to not be of the same value over time. And then the final option, which I think is quite a good one. It's probably amongst the most viable options for most of us, is to trade in or sell your car while it still has a decent resell value. So once your car looks like it's going to start incurring high repair costs, it's worth looking at selling it. You might have your own limit. In our family, we tend to get rid of cars when once they start hovering around the two hundred thousand kilometer mark, because if at that point they're still running nicely, there haven't been any major repair expenses, we can sell them in good conscience and you know, still get a reasonable value and put that value towards a newer vehicle that's covered by a warranty or service and maintenance plan. So that's your that's your fifth option. And you know, really choosing between those options depends on you know, your driving habits, your car's age, and your financial situation. Those are all the things that you need to take into account.
Speaker 1: Do you think that it's always going to be worth somebody getting a getting a maintenance plan? I mean, what are some of the things that you should.
Speaker 3: Care sitting up?
Speaker 2: Yes, go on, So sorry I lost you completely there.
Speaker 1: The line seems Oh, no worries, No worries, Erica. Sorry, I was just asking do you think it's always worth somebody getting a maintenance plan? What are the things that one ought to consider when buying a car and deciding on the type of motorpath? I mean, are some cars just if somebody's just kind of buying a little run around for less than one hundred thousand round, Is it then worth it to have a motor to have a maintenance plan?
Speaker 2: Look, it really depends on the kind of driving that you're doing and also your risk appetite, because you know, for some of us, you know, I'm very risk averse when it comes to things like insurances, and I make sure I'm fully fully covered, so I will poney up personally for the highest premiums because I cannot stand the idea that I'm going to have a mechanical failure. And I have faced that situation before and I've just found for myself it's really worth it. But it comes down to whether you clock up high mileage or you drive in tough conditions. Under either of those circumstances, the likelihood that you're going to face a really expensive repair bill are high. They're really quite high. So you know, either high mileage which all tough conditions, or both are where a service or maintenance plan can really help you to budget more predictably and help you upset what I personally would consider too hire a risk to take. If your car is, you know, relatively new, you've run out of service plan or you've run out of you know, warranty because it's a it's an older vehicle, but you're not driving it very much. Your driving habits tend to be moderate. You are not driving rough roads, you're not driving much. Your car lives in your garage most of your time. You know, zing you could possibly look atself ensuring, you know, setting aside that money to say, Okay, if something does go wrong, it's pretty unlikely. I'm getting my services done. You know, they're not picking up anything disastrous. My car is still only got you know, I want to say fifty thousand on the clock. The chances of something going catastrophically wrong are pretty limited. I'm not going to worry about paying for an extended warranty or motor plan. You know, that would be the option I would go for under those conditions. And you know, whichever option you go for, if absolutely crucial to read the fine print, because what your original warranty covered may not be the same as what your extended warranty might cover, and the same with a motorplane. You've got to got to read that fine print. There is nothing worse, and I think most of us can relate to this then, you know, putting forward a large sum of cash only to find out that the one thing that goes wrong with your vehicle is the one thing that it doesn't cover. What are the.
Speaker 1: Common things that they don't that it wouldn't cover? Erica, is there can you highlight that for our listeners at all? Is there something that you're like, you know what?
Speaker 4: This is?
Speaker 1: Very often what isn't covered there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Look, it varies so widely, it's hard to say. The real rule of thumb just comes down again to the fact that warranties are not going to cover wear and tear. It doesn't matter how good your extended warranty is. Unless you can prove, for example, that a handle fell off, or a light broke out, or the econ stopped working because of a manufacturing polt, you're not going to get that covered under a warranty. And then, of course the owners of previous on you, and that can be very, very difficult. If you've got a good supplier and you know they're giving you a full breakdown of what's gone wrong with your vehicle, and they're honest with you, they are going to make sure that whatever they can to the full extent possible, they will push it through under your warranty, but you can't be you know, that is not a guarantee. There are so many things, and of course some of the time it's really hard to say whether something was actually a manufacturing fault or whether it was war and fear over time. And I think you know that's something that applies not just to cars, but also to electrical appliances. There can be a hidden fault that is virtually undetectable unless there's a product recall. You never found out and you end up having to pay the cash yourself to get something six it was actually a manufacturing fault, but neither you nor the service technician are the wiser to that. So the warranty is really really so limited in that respect. So to me, you know, a motor plan can mitigate that risk to and extinct insofar as if it is wear and tear and it is something that is subject frequently to warrantear like breaks, they pads, clutch battery, earboxes, you know, those sorts of things, then you are going to be covered for those kinds of things. The other thing to bear in mind with this conversation is that if you are in an accident and something breaks, that's not wear and tear, and that's not warranty, you know, specific or applicable. That is a different issue again, and that is where your car insurance comes in. And the only thing that's going to cover you for, supposing that you've got fully comprehensive insurance, is that accidental damage, their fire and third party planes. None of those things are going to be covered by your warranty. So you could be real or motor plans, so you could be really unlucky. Let's say, and you've got something that is wrong with your vehicle inherently already and it's kind of about to fall off or about to go haywire, or whatever the case may be. Then you get in an awful accident. Let's say somebody bumps into you from behind and that item gets damage. You're never going to be able to show that that wasn't a result of the damage, and that's where your insurance was kicking. So that's another important thing to take in mind.
Speaker 1: We've had a couple of voice notes that I want to take a listen to Eric here, if you can just bend with this just for a second, let's take a listen. Christopher and Wesley have sent these voice notes.
Speaker 4: In Hi, SJ. Thanks for the great show. Question from our side. Just recently procured an older vehicle with low mileage which I financed, and the finance house, a well known finance house, apparently had a stipulation that I had to take out an extended warranty on the vehicle, I e. An aftermarket to a motor light warranty. So another standard warranty. Is that a finance requirement? Or was I taken for right?
Speaker 1: Okay, Erica, maybe you want to jump back jump in there. Would that ever be a requirement of y a finance got right?
Speaker 2: Okay, definitely the listener can take hard. You definitely have not been taken for a ride. It's very similar to when you take out a bond on your house. You are required to pay out in to adequately cover that property. Because at the end of the day, if that vehicle is a lemon, and we really hope not, the financing house is going to require you to repay that loan is full and they want to know that you're able to do that.
Speaker 1: Let's just take a listen to Wesley's voice note.
Speaker 3: Please and always there from Geval from personal experience, I had a I bought a brand new vehicle and I had an accident. Unfortunately, due to certain fine brand in the insurance, they would not pay for it because the refew and the parts alone just to repair a fender, a bumper, aheadlight lower control on ninety seven thousand R which had to come out of my pocket and in the ten thousand towing costs to put it on a flatbit to get it there. And this was a distance from my house of less than five hundred meters, so the costs can really really escalate.
Speaker 1: Sure, thanks for that, Wesley. Ten thousand rand put it on a flatbed. Yoh okay, thanks very much. Indeed to our guest Erica Liedenberg from Just Money, this has been hugely informative the difference between a motor plan, a maintenance plan and a motor warranty. Knowing what the difference is and reading the fine print could literally save you tens of thousands of Rand