Speaker 1: Join the conversation.
Speaker 2: Join the conversation you're.
Speaker 1: With Kate Talk the conversation turns out to All Things Motoring. That's the name of the TV show hosted by Ernest Page on Ignition TV. Here is also, of course a representative of Change Cars dot co dotza, and he's standing by to talk to us about what he's been driving, but more importantly to answer your questions about what you are or could be driving. So if you want to ask a question today, remember you can phone in on two one four four six O five sixty seven. You can also send us a WhatsApp to seven two five six seven one five six seven. Good to have you back with us.
Speaker 2: Ernest, fantastic to be by Potmanalaba. You said that more importantly, it's about what the listeners want to drive, because that's why my job exists. It's not about me driving the cause, it's about getting people into the car that they want to get into and figuring out if that's that I've.
Speaker 1: Got absolutely, and thank you in advance for all the help you give our listeners and making those decisions. We do, though, like to sort of live vicariously through you and your driving a little bit each week, So tell us what you've been driving this week.
Speaker 2: At the moment, I've got the M two three five BMW, and this is one of those situations where I'm not walking my opinion back let me start there. But what I am doing is I'm realizing that I might need to amend my opinion on this car. So I've driven the M one three five mostly, and then i spent a little bit of time with A two three five a couple of weeks ago. And BMW's just launched this car now and it's gotten interesting reviews worldwide. Basically, my conclusion and the conclusion of many others, was that it's not a traditional BMW. It doesn't feel like a traditional BMW, it doesn't drive like a traditional BMW. It's not three will drive. It's actually based on a front wheel drive platform, and the tops pick models, the one three fives, they come with four wheel drive. But the reason for that is because it's technically it's based on the Mini. It's based on the Mini chassis. It's based on because MENI and BMW. Basically it's the Mini's owned by BMW, so they get access to all the technology. So you're looking at a bat for the Toppix model, about nine h and fifty thousand for the Topsic model, which is again it's always a lot of money these days. I mean I always exclaim who buys these cars, but upon close inspect the price is very competitive when it comes to its nearest competitive which is the gulf Ar.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I'll parked the car in the driver the other day and while I've literally got a slight look of disdain on my face, my neighbor comes throwing over and he's this young guy, you know, cool like he's twenties, just like gets the world and it gets what's cool, and he says, I love this car. So I told him, look, we need to go for a spin. And we chat briefly, and I think where this car plays is that sort of thirty young, thirty audio old to someone that's making decent amounts of money once and is deciding between a golf R and a BMW, but maybe wants to go for a slightly more mature option, and that's where the BMW fits in. So, whether the BMW sells a lot of these cars or not, it's a good way for strategy wise. It seems like it's a good way for them to get more people into that specific BMW and potentially then get them into air quotes the real BMW's later on.
Speaker 1: Okay, so your labor loved it, even if you were on the fence a little bit. That's a very interesting comment when you say they have to be earning decent money. Just how much decent money does want earn to pay for this car?
Speaker 2: Okay, So letty, I need to work at the installments on that one. But it's basically a million, million Ran. So you're looking at a twenty thousand rand installment basically thereabout because it's a million RAN car effectively, So yeah, you're looking at about I think about twenty k all in with insurance, et cetera, et cetera, ettech. So, but again, some people might get this car as a company car. Some people might get this car on a lease of a BMW does have options for financing, which is I wouldn't say competitive. It makes the installment price a lot lower. I don't have those numbers in front of me right now, but they do make the installment prices a lot, a lot, a lot lower. However, I wouldn't necessarily recommend that pricing structure unless you're going to be doing a certain amount of mileage which is appropriate for that, or it's a company car and the company's paying a set amount every month and you want to get into the best possible car that you can.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, thanks for that. Okay. So that was the BMW M two three five. I believe you've also been playing with the new VWT Cross range.
Speaker 2: Yes, BWT Cross has been updated. It was a couple of months ago and they've launched a new entry level model for three hundred and ninety nine thousand. I'm a colleague, Jason Williams. You went to the event to go check out what was happening and the T Cross line. The pricing has remained very competitive even when they updated the vehicle. So now you can still get into the seventy kilowat manual version for just their hair under four hundred thousand and three hundred ninety nine thousand, and the top peck one goes for five hundred and forty three that's the eighty five killer what now. VW has been very clever about this because they know that this is their entry level suv and they've got lots and lots of competition in the space. So you do, however, get a manual gearbox with this, but you also get decent fuel consumption under under six liters one hundred claim the real world figures is about six point five. It's got Apple corplay and auto USB ports, it's got a nice entertainment system sixteen inch will central locking, child locks, et cetera. So the basic good stuff is all in there. But then when you look at the competition, of course, you look at something like the Cherry t Go four Pro, which maxes out at three hundred and eighty six thousand, which is less than the entry level, and then the Renokai Go one lead to Turbot, which I think it's not premium enough, that's at three hundred and twenty nine, and then of course the regular Haval Jullian one point five T top spick for just thirty thousand more, you're gonna get a fully loaded Haval Jullian. So a couple of years ago, the VWT Cross would have been the sensible choice, and I think it still is the sensible choice if you're not willing to risk it with one of the with a Valve or Cherry, which is not to say it is a risk I just think, you know, we're still at that point where there are still some questions being asked, and I'm starting to get some feedback on parts availability, with certain parts not being as easily obtainable. But I need to get more concrete evidence on that. But I did a review on a Handai. The other had had Tucson, and someone I know actually bought that car, and I can maybe get your input on this. Hyundai went from being the Korean Handa was the old Chinese cause basically just like before that the Japanese cause with the turn from the East kind of thing. But now Honda has become a trusted brand. And even though the pricing on that car is a little bit high, the person that I'm usedtill got it because they trusted the brand. What do you think of that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear you. I've never driven one myself. I have to say that upfront, but I think you're right that the perception of the brand has sort of settled and solidified, and it's a very different perception today than it was just a couple of years ago. We're still a bit of an unknown factor. People were nervous about it. You kind of you were nervous, a little nervous about parts availability and servicing quality and all of that stuff going forward, and reliability and longevity. I think it's now had sufficient longevity that we could trust trust in the brand more. And you know, one hopes that the same will apply in five or six years time to the brands that right now we're feeling a little bit iffy about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, and we at that we get into that crossover point now where GWM has been in the country for many, many years, and I think they are trusted brand. I've had some incidents, as I mentioned before, with people that own GW and BUCkies with the white Africans gentlemen said to me in a very strong Africans accent, it loved it. So you love these GW and Bucky. So that is starting to happen. But the sensible choice is still the VW T Crass starting at three ninety nine for the manual version.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you so much for that feedback. Ernest page Dandy by now to take your calls and questions O two one four four six, O five six seven if you want to ring through, otherwise, pop through a WhatsApp, text or voice note to seven two five six seven one five six seven. Diane's call was more consumer than motoring, even though it relates to a cart. So Diane, we're going to call you back during Consumer Talk and Tyrone just confirming receipt of your question for Wendy. But if you'd like to speak to Ernest, please send your question through right now to O seven two five six seven one five six seven. Let's take a question that came in last week that we didn't get a chance to answer, and it was from Jackie who would like to know your opinion on the Proton one point five versus a t Go four.
Speaker 2: So the Proton one point five is the one point five turbo three cylinder engine and the Ti Go four is the one point five liter turbo four cylinder. Both of them make similar power, similar talk. But the Proton has got a seven speed DCT gearbox, which means that it's a conventional deal clutch gearbox versus the CBT and the Cherry Ti Go four, which not my favorite tub of gearbox, especially when you've got to call it a little bit of power. Then you start noticing the CBT, and I think the talk and the power in the Cherry Tig. It's quite up there. The Proton will and should use less fuel than the Cherry Tig, and I don't necessarily believe the claims of both of these manufacturers, so it would be something that you'd have to get real bold figures for. Unfortunately, I don't have any of those deal Bolt figures at the moment. Both of them have warranties of about five years, but the Cherry Tig's GO one hundred and fifty thousand kilometer warranty, and then of course there's that ten year one million k kilometer one million kilometer warranty on the engine, which that's gimmick key. If you're going to keep the car for a million ks, then you've got a warranty. The engine vituals service plan on the Proton is better than the on the Cherry Tig. Excuse me. The Proton does feel more premium inside with a lot more soft touch materials, but the ti Go, of course, especially the elite version tops Pick one, is going to be much much higher spect and it's also both be causse f ten point twenty five touch cream displays, where the Tig has a seven inch digital cluster and leave the seats so the t GO is quite a substantial amount less than the proton. So if money is the primary consideration, then yes, you're looking at about a sixty five thousand difference and you're paying that premium on the proton. I think protons still, They've been here before, but they are still. Was he trying getting a foothold in South Africa? I would just say my personal recommendation, I would probably go for the TIG on this one.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, Jackie. I hope you were listening to hear that feedback and thanks for the help on that one. Ernest. Okay, let's see we've got a WhatsApp, Blanche. I'm afraid we can't assist with valuations live on air, but so I would advise you to rather go and just do some research on sites like change cars, dot co, dotja to get an idea of the comparative value of the vehicle that you are discussing. So let's rather move on to Dana. Dana would like your thoughts on the Persia two thousand and eight GT.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and eight GT. I spent some time with that car a while ago, and she's correcting saying that I used to call it the two double eight that's actually a two thousand and a GT. It's got the one point two liters three cylinder engine. There is a later model now, so I haven't driven this car in such a long time, and there are various iterations, so I think I'm want to walk away with this one and do some research. I am working with a client now that actually sells these cars as well, so I can get some inside info and maybe even get some pricing for us, so I can get more info, and then I'll come back to us next week with the detailed research on the future, because I haven't given one of these in ages.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you so much for that, So Dana, please make sure you're listening next week for feedback on that question. Amanda has a follow up to one of your earlier comments. She is interested in how the Kia Sonnet models compared to the Cherry and the Toyota Cross that you've been discussing.
Speaker 2: So again, the Ka Sonnet dependable, solid care. I just feel like what my opinion is that it's generally underspect. It's got a decent sized boot of my three hundred and eighty five liters eighty five Killer Watts talkers, the one hundred and forty four Newtons, most of them have CVT gearboxes. If you're not going for the manual, it starts at two ninety nine, it ends off at about four hundred and eighty. The sensible choice, for sure, the sensible choice. Easy to drive, easy to live with. Everything works good, right, quality, sometimes a little bit firm. The visibility of the backs not the best in class, but again it's the same choice for me. Now. The main and we're getting a lot of these questions, the main consideration is how much spec do you want versus the sensible choice. That is the key a sonnet which will definitely not be as well inspect. But again, the manufacturers of being now being forced to play in the space where there are tons and tons of features, even on an entry level car. So that three hundred thousand, four hundred thousand grand space is the most difficult space to play. Now, if you're shopping in this, well, not difficult, but it's got the most options. For me, it's difficult because I've got to come up with good alternatives.
Speaker 1: Okay, thanks for that, Amanda. I hope there's some food for thought in there. Okay, I'm trying to digest a question from Dean. Let's come through with I think perhaps the spelling or autocorrectors not quite said what Dean was precisely meaning. But I think I'm getting the gist of it that Dean is wondering when there is going to be a shape update for the Suzuki Jimney three door. If I'm making head or tail of a somewhat confusing question, any comments on on on the on the styling of the Suzuki Jimney.
Speaker 2: I haven't heard anything about the chimney being facelifted. There's I'm looking online now, there doesn't seem to be any facelift discussions. There's just HD autel says there's I've just found an article on HD Auto desk. You can try them out, and they're talking about a features update which is ads TIC update, which means that you basically have drivers support systems for traffic recognition, break support, automatic braking and things like that. But it does seem like the design is going to stay. I changed it, and I think Suzuki knows that they're onto something with head Cliff and Jimney. Everybody loves the chimney that has one and to change the look on that car. I think it would be a risk. I think it should it's not. It's it's still fresh face. Let's do that way. It still looks cool and I think it will continue to look cool for quite a while longer. So don't missed with something that's a good sort of recipe. I think they're going to keep that card looking like at for a while. There's in my mind, there's no in my circle, there's no mention of an update on the looks on that.
Speaker 1: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm with you, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: And having said that, but if you do want to spruce up your chimney, there are so many off the market options available. But yeah, you can get lift kits, you get big wheels, you can get light covers, you can get through fras, so there's a lot of ways to make your jymney look cool and individual so Zuki is very much about individualization. They do sell some parts themselves in house, but there are also many companies in South Africa that do upgraded parts for the Suzuki jymney.
Speaker 1: Okay, so lots and lots of space to play with what you've already got. If you're getting bored with the look. I think they're still very cute and fresh. As you say, okay, I think we can squeeze in one more. And this is from Fran who is interested in the new golf and would like to know what other options should she be considering an the same class size and price capacity.
Speaker 2: As far as the golf goes, I've spoken to a couple of people, and I haven't driven it myself yet. Unfortunately, I was invited the Lords but couldn't make it, and the colleague of mine went through and it is still the good old fashioned, dependable VW. You know exactly what you're going to get. It's the same pleasant polo esque driving experience with extra space, but it's just not as relevant as it used to be, simply because the market is now looking at SUVs. But if you set on getting something like this, the starting price is five hundred and eighty thousand for the one point four life and goes up to a million round or so. But for the call we spoke about early on, which is the Golf, are other cass to consider would be the Honda Civic, a much better all rounder. Possibly it's a lot more refined. Also, maybe a little bit more modern looking, a bit larger than the Golf. Other option is the Mass the three one of the best looking cause in the segment, very underrated all Masters, or just blanket underrated Pugo three h eight if you want something of a bit of French flair, that's also an option starting at four eighty. But notice that these these cars will start at one hundred thousand and less than the Golf. And then the Toota Corolla Hatch bulletproof, Toota Corolla super efficient, well equipped, and also there's a hybrid version as well, which I think might be the pick of the bunch. And if you've got a bit of extra budget, then maybe look at something like the used Audi A three.
Speaker 1: Oh. Okay, fran there are lots of options for you to consider there. Thank you. I'm intrigued by what you just said about Mazda's being so underrated, Ernest. Why do you think they are? Is there is there history here of problems in the past that is still lurking in people's memory.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of it's got to do with marketing and the engine range. Firstly, let's start with the marketing side of things. They I believe you do need a Halo car on your fleet. They've gotten the rid of their Halo car, which is the NX five. They've now only got the hard top hotel version, which is not great, So you don't have that enthusiast sort of sub section of the market that's always mumbling about. Also, Masdas are and then they're pricing it's pretty decent their cause of well inspect, but the engines have let them down in the past. They've now started to bring in bigger engines, but I think MASDA might need to look at turbo charging down the line. But once you inside the car and you drive the car, and you experience a car, it's chic, it's stylish, it's not overly spect, but it's well inspect and I just think it's a good driving experience for someone that's thinking maybe something a little different.
Speaker 1: Okay, thanks so much for the explanation. So we're going to leave it there for today. But I just want to just say a reminder, if you've got a particularly complex question, or if you are wanting a comparison of multiple vehicles and competitors within a class, can I encourage you please to feel free to send that through in advance that we can brief Earnest to research it for you and give you same week feedback. You're very welcome to do that any time of the week. Just pop through an email to me on peperh at cape talk dot com co dot Sday and we'll brief Ernest to research for the following Wednesday so that you can get the quickest possible feedback. Danis, So we're going to do that for you for next week feedback on your question around the perso. But I just wanted to remind everybody that you very welcome to not wait until Wednesday and send your questions in advance. Ernest. We always appreciate the research you do for our listeners, and of course the hard work behind the wheel, the terrible job of testing all these cars. I know you hate it.
Speaker 2: It's a tough line, but someone's going to do it. Please. There was a cheeky answer from me, but I'm feeling cheeky today. Thanks so much for everything. Appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Thank you, and please drive safe. Feeds. We'll reach out again next week Wednesday. Ernest Page of Change Cars dot Co dot Surday