Speaker 1: And it's with Jacob mushorquar with you until three pm. Getting into our last feature now, and it is of course the more exciting one, the music feature. You can get in touch with us zero seven two five six seven one five sixty seven, or you can give us a quick phone call. Oh two one four four six zero five six seven, that's the number. Coming up at three pm is of course Afternoon Drive with Mike Wills. He's in for John Maatham. But for now we're joined on the line by Zena. She's part of our musical segment. Today. We're featuring a singer, songwriter and actress who's just released her new song. Xena's debut EP in twenty twenty three helped cement her career and now she's back with new music. But before we play you the latest track, let's get to know her a little more. Zina, Welcome to Cape Talk on Lunch with Jacob. How are you doing?
Speaker 2: Hi, Jacob, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm fantastic. Thank you for asking. Are you good? Are you strong? Are you warm?
Speaker 2: I am? I'm trying to keep warm in this crazy cold weather we are suffering.
Speaker 1: I think it's part of the journey. Stay warm. There, and I'm sure your voice is also quite soothing. I want to know where it all started for you started performing at a very young age. Why did music become that calling for you.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, when something comes really easy to you and you don't really have to try hard. I think that that's music for me. And not to say that try hard in the sense that you don't have to work hard to obtain anything, but I think melodies and lyrics come to me so quickly that it just felt like the right thing to do and that it was a God given gift as opposed to it, you know, being something that grew to love and loving it at such a young age afforded me the opportunity to you know, expand my you know, my hobbies and what I originally wanted. But music was such a foundational thing for me as a child because I feel like it helped me embrace who I was and helped me really figure out what it was that was going on in my crazy head because I really thought I was a weird.
Speaker 1: Child growing up and a part for singing. It seems as though you are multi talented, because acting is also involved there which one do you prefer singing or acting.
Speaker 2: Definitely singing, I think because I was trained in musical theaters, so we're trained to sing, act, dance the whole thing. So we're all trained to be performers. But singing is definitely my first point of core, honestly.
Speaker 1: And now let's get into this new song of yours. It's called we Know. Tell us about the inspiration behind the song.
Speaker 2: So the inspiration behind this song is that, you know, we've all been through some sort of relationship or we've been in certain places that were no longer serve us and are no longer supposed to be a part of our journey, and for some reason, as human beings, we tend to hold onto things that are no longer for us, And so the song is about trying to let go or wanting someone else to pull the rug underneath us so that we can eventually be able to release ourselves from that position or from that person, or that project or that dream that you once wanted. And I think the end of something isn't always just the end, it's the beginning of something else, and so being able to leave a situation that's not for you open the doors to be able to receive something better in your life, and so that's what the song is about.
Speaker 1: And the writing or penning down your emotions after experiencing all different types of things in life, does that come quite easy for you?
Speaker 2: Yes, it really does. And I think songwriting for me is something that really helped me a lot in primary school days and high school days when things are just really overwhelming, I'd opened up my diary and just start writing songs or just diary entries. And the older I got, the easier it became for me to be able to put my emotions down onto paper so that they I could be able to deal with them and help my mind kind of get through what it was that I was feeling and makes sense of what I was feeling as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so tell us what are you up to for the rest of the year. We've literally just hit the middle of twenty twenty five right now, and people already like, oh, I don't know if I'm going to make it till the end of the year. What are your plans for the rest of the year musical perspective, obviously, no, Jacob, you.
Speaker 2: Know we have to make it through. Twenty twenty four was a crazy gird So twenty twenty five. We need to end with the bang. I'm releasing a new music video this month which I'm really looking forward to. I'll be participating in the show called Born to Perform as the host this year, which I'm really excited about. And of course more music coming up and in the pipeline and so I'm hoping for more performances to come from that.
Speaker 1: And while you add it, I think it would be appropriate right now, Ob maybe if you can start rolling it there for you to introduce. We know I'm going to play about about two minutes of the song, so you'd have to just stay on the line, but it'll be nice to also hear what people think of the song as well. So this is your time to shine. Please introduce your song, Zina.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, this is We Know by your girls, Diena. I hope you enjoyed it and I hope you inspired this song. That's the love. I guess there's something.
Speaker 1: It's lunch with Jacob Qua on Cape Talk. That was the sweet sounds of Zena with her latest song titled We Know Zina. Hey, the people love you in Cape Town, Dude, they love you. That was amazing.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you so much. I really appreciate that.
Speaker 1: We got a message from Tanya saying she has such a sweet voice loving the beat of the song. It's the beat for me as well. What do you think of the beat?
Speaker 2: I think the beat is incredible. That shout out to Slowey and find Tune Studios. He's an incredible producer and it's just so funky and hip.
Speaker 1: A funny story. I actually do know we find Tune Studios. Is I used to do my voiceovers there in Brianston. If I'm not mistaken here, it's exactly there.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: That's so cool. Yeah, no, listen, I'm an ex Jo Burger and I'm now cape Tonian. But now what needs to happen with you is we need your musical talent in the mother city as well. So you need to tell us where are you performing next and how can people book you and what's your socials, et cetera.
Speaker 2: So anyone can follow me at on Instagram at Zina Rose under school, or on Facebook or on TikTok. You find me at Zina Rose and then if you'd like to book me, you can email Zenimusic at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: So Xeno Rowse is how we get hold of you and it's Xeno Rows on all the socials. Yes, sir, now tell me something before I let you go. In terms of musical inspirations when you were when you were young and you were growing up, I mean, obviously music was something that you always got drawn to. Who were your musical inspirations back then?
Speaker 2: So back then, I really loved Brenda Fassi. I was a huge fan of Whitney System, obviously being also being able to travel with the Whitney System to show I love things like Abba. I loved Beyonce as well. And apparently my inspiration is Victoria Mane. She's an incredible songwriter and she is such an inspiration to me.
Speaker 1: You're an inspiration to many others out there. I wish you the best of luck with your journey, and just by hearing your music today, I am sold. I am now going to be following Xena Rose on Instagram and on TikTok, and I'm gonna be and I'm going to be telling all my friends about you. I wish you all the best of luck.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Jake, lovely talking.
Speaker 1: To you, absolute pleasure chatting to you too. Her name is Zena Rose joining us here on lunch with Jacob Mushaqua in for Papa Hudson, and of course chatting about her musical journey and where she gets her inspiration from. Inspired by the likes of Whitney Houston, Beyonce, and even Brenda Fassi. Hey, oh be Brenda Fazi. Remember Brenda Fassi. Dude, Yeah, you're an og if you know who Brenda Fassi is. And I think if life would have had it, we would have definitely had Brenda Fasci on our musical journey because she is a She was a proud Cape Tonian and I think she carried Cape Town and South Africa very well on an international space. I do hope the likes of Xena Rose are spotted somewhere on the international space because that is definitely a golden voice.