Speaker 1: Wake up with a bang hey worme Honnel and the club.
Speaker 2: On nine four seven.
Speaker 1: This must have been so exhausting for the for the judge of the magistrate here, because the landlord is sewing for eight hundred and ninety six thousand rands worth of rent areas the tenant is suing for nine hundred thousands, like I fix your house for nine one thousand, you owe me just pointing because you you're wrong, you're wrong, take us outside. Either way, this tenant did some renovations to a house that didn't belong to him. The title did wasn't in his name, it wasn't the landlord's name, did renovations to the sound of nine hundred thousand. But because they had a gentleman's agreements that when you do want to sell, are you going to sell to me? And we're renting to buy. Also, by the way, can somebody jump on the line, oh one one eighty eight thirty eight nine per seven, explain to me what rin dubai is, because everyone was like you, I'm ranging, Toby, what does it mean?
Speaker 3: But agreed, it's an agreement between you and But that's more formal. That's a formal thing. So if you agree with your landlord that you're going to purchase this house. Then you agree on a purchase price.
Speaker 1: So when I start rinting.
Speaker 3: No no, no, but let's say before you even usually people would rent for like a year, Like in my situations, it's very similar. Rent for a year and then you speak to the land you say, I really want to buy this place if you were willing to sell, and then you do an evaluation and then the landlord says, cool, we agree on a price as a two bar right, and then so you keep on renting and then at the end of let's say for a year, that money gets subtracted. So you could say, you could say, I'm renting to buy, so I'm going to spend I'm going to pay my full rent and then that'll come off the purchase price for example, because it's.
Speaker 1: Like you lay buying your house and then at least you get to experience.
Speaker 3: It and then you could But the point is you could get to the end of that and go, no, I don't want to buy anymore, or.
Speaker 1: He could say I want to sell anymore. So the risk is the risk. But so when that happens, then do we put that on paper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's definitely on paper.
Speaker 4: Not everyone is like Frank, you own tricks anything that does not belong to you. Period. I have a tenant that just tells me they're gonna change my light bulbs. They're gonna change my light for things, and they think is their prerogative.
Speaker 1: Our tenant even send us an email if he wants to plant a tree a tree. So, yeah, you don't do renovations at my house?
Speaker 2: Are you planting like a tree on someone else's property?
Speaker 1: Because the tree is for everyone the world in beginner, not just your house. I don't say. I don't know anyone would be opposed to a tree. What kind of dark person are you?
Speaker 2: Maybe I don't like trees.
Speaker 3: What do you mean you're gonna plant a tree in the middle of my grass and shade?
Speaker 2: And what kind of trees?
Speaker 1: Guys? Don't you know? That's saying The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago. The second best time is today.
Speaker 3: Okay, all the day, Minister of forest tree.
Speaker 1: Yes, good morning, Welcome to an alien the club.
Speaker 5: Money an alien, the club.
Speaker 1: How you go well? Great with great? So you move into house's house?
Speaker 5: Yes it is?
Speaker 1: Oh, oh you're currently in the house present we.
Speaker 5: Are currently in the house.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: So we moved in the house and what was wrong with it, Well, it's got a league in the main bedroom, but it's a very annoying league. It's not just a league in the little corner. It stands across the whole bedroom. So there's a whole section in the bedroom that we can't use. And we knew about it when we moved in, and our agreement was that they would fix it before.
Speaker 4: We moved in.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: Then we waited an additional months and a half before we moved in. A week before we moved in, we met the landlord and then they told us they would only be able to fix the league in March. I'll keep in mind we moved in in fab okay, and then we were like, okay, that's fine, Okay, comes March. Still nothing getting fixed in July, now I know. But the problem is apparently the leak is coming from our next door neighbor because their bright area balcony is above that bedroom. So there's been a constant back and forth between them and the landlord, and they are not the easiest people to deal with. They have fixed the leak twice in the past. It still was leaking, and.
Speaker 1: Then it's the developer then isn't is it not?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the department is. It doesn't solve this problem because she lives in the bedroom that's leak. That's the issue.
Speaker 1: You can't use the full bedroom. I hope you get a discount on your rents. We don't.
Speaker 5: We try to negotiate with the landlord because in our contracted states that we are allowed to reduct rent of a room or area that we're not satisfied with. But it needs to be negotiated with the landlord. And the landlord only for the first month said she would pay our utilities and what's electricity.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 5: We have not yet had any reintroduction. And we actually did work out how much the square meters of the room is and it comes down to like a thousand, two hundred rand.
Speaker 6: But she still is not budging on giving.
Speaker 1: You're a nicer person than me and my angel.
Speaker 2: I don't see the problem.
Speaker 6: My partner is serious.
Speaker 3: And and are you guys moving out, because that's what you have to do, just move.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we need to find a new place to move in.
Speaker 1: Well, then find a new place. Yes, here's the deal. Find a new place. And then don't pay rent for three months.
Speaker 3: Say they keep your deposit. Ye, there's a deposit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're in the three months. You can take it because deposit is usually one man.
Speaker 3: If you can't Nott pay rent.
Speaker 1: Yes you can. You can believe you know, you can give us some story. It's like getting a bond break. Yes, bring the lawyers and I can make the lawyers have the meeting in the leaking room.
Speaker 2: Listen to that criminal in the room their rainco.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also the thing about I'll bring lawyers. Babe, your lawyers will cost you money. Let's go.
Speaker 2: You sound like my mom. You can go to court, random.
Speaker 3: Mom, Please, I would say that you seek legal advice, proper legal advice.
Speaker 1: Oh money, dad, you have to pay. Listen to me. Listen to me, I'm telling you now. Listen to me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we love the place like it's such as such a beautiful place.
Speaker 2: She likes having a spring in her house.
Speaker 1: I really hope this works out. But okay, try every other method first, and then in the end just try mine.
Speaker 5: If we will, Well, thank you for that.
Speaker 1: Anytime you should hey hey, hey, yeah, it's a financial.
Speaker 3: Registered a registered service provider of any card.
Speaker 1: Fine, you fight to hate us.
Speaker 6: Stewart, Good morning, Annelle.
Speaker 1: No, Stuart, you are the drama. Yeah, you have a tenant who's refusing to pay for rents since COVID and one move out.
Speaker 6: One hundred percent. So I'm the same Stuart with the changing lanes, keep left, pass right, remember, yes, yes, and.
Speaker 1: You can get very passionate, yes.
Speaker 6: Very passionate.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So I've got a tenant who's been in the house for ten years. The first five or six years was amazing, paid on time, no problems, you know, very happy to stay. And then COVID happened and he said, no, he lost some business, so he's in a bit of a financial situation and he needs, you know, like a month or two to to sort himself out. So he would pay for two months, then not pay a month, then pay for three months, then not pay for two months. So it was very like sporadic up and down, Yeah, sporadic. And then eventually, like enough is enough, he owed us like eight or nine months rent. We said, you know, you got to get out. I mean, your your lease is now up, we're not renewing it. You've got to get out. I mean, you owe us eight or nine months rent. So he's like, no, no, no, he wants to pay. He wants to pay, he wants to, you know, make right what he's messed up, and like it just went on and on and on, like now we've eventually gone the legal route. So from January, we came back from our December holiday and said no, enough enough this scummus get out, went the legal route and he stopped paying. Now he's like not paying a cent since January. So we had have.
Speaker 1: You tried the other things that you know, such of the waters, such of the lights, change the logs.
Speaker 6: So now because we've gone the legal route, the lawyers are saying, you're not allowed to do that. Yeah, we wanted. We wanted to like restrict his access to the complex. The lawyer said, don't do that, don't do that. Then we said, okay, we're gonna switch off the water. We're gonna remove the front door. Someone advised me remove the front door. Yeah, and yeah, no you're not allowed to. The lawyer said, don't do anything, just let us handle it.
Speaker 1: Have you tried to move in with ten of your buddies because it's your property.
Speaker 6: So my wife went down for a funeral because we in Joe Burt and the house is in Cape Town. So my wife went down for a funeral and went to the house to go and see him. And apparently you're not allowed to do that either, but he was a major thing that she NOA came to the house and invasion of privacy and all of this stuff, saying your rent you're don't house.
Speaker 1: And this is the thing about people not being rented. They know they are right.
Speaker 3: And there must be nothing worse than someone in Cape Town not paying rents.
Speaker 1: Stewart, you could renovate the bathroom.
Speaker 5: You could take out the toy at the basin and just start with renovating the bathroom because it needs to.
Speaker 2: Be fixed right.
Speaker 1: And then you never get around to it.
Speaker 2: And then they pull in the middle of your living room. Well they have to live in it. They don't care.
Speaker 6: We We just worried that they're going to start doing you know, malicious things.
Speaker 1: I mean me, Stewart, you call me when you're ready.
Speaker 3: What sitting If the legal root doesn't work out for.
Speaker 1: Your legal route, doesn't the justice system, if the wheels.
Speaker 3: Not justice are turning to stoney Stewart, can I just say we had a conversation weeks ago about you you marrying a lawyer, and how and how it makes sense in.
Speaker 2: Terms of who you are.
Speaker 3: And I think everyone listening now realizes.
Speaker 1: Why are you saying it? Guys? Can I tell you my poor fiance. He spends half our life saying, baby, come down. Okay, we're not gonna do that. Oh yeah, that's the favorite line for me. Okay, love, We're not going to do it like that.
Speaker 2: Where orange Wow? When the time comes.
Speaker 1: We have horrible landlord.
Speaker 4: If something then it becomes an absolute nightmare having to get whatever's broken fix, in particular the gizo or the stuff.
Speaker 7: We moved to our current place in March. The bedrooms had carpet, and I have asthma. We decided to tie the house ourselves. Now the bathroom is troubling, and we're gonna renovate it ourselves because looking at the landlord, he doesn't care.
Speaker 3: You're not going to get your money back.
Speaker 2: We're wanting you.
Speaker 3: You're not going to get your money back.
Speaker 1: And to the first guy who says the landlord it's difficult to get hold always fine, you know, call them at twe in the morning.
Speaker 3: The problem is that often you don't know who the landlord is. Because you're using a rental company, but.
Speaker 1: Then the onus is on that company to make it as soon as as a rental company that makes you guys are getting paid to make things sweeter. I actually think it's much more difficult. If you're dealing with the landod one on one and they did their own rental, then you're in trouble. But once the rental company, I'll be at to officers every day, my friends outside the every day until you fix the issue. Pearl, Good morning, good morning, good morning. So Pearl, you live in Houghton, Yes, and you are currently in an ongoing dispute to their landlord.
Speaker 6: Long over du but yes, what happened?
Speaker 1: What's happening?
Speaker 8: Oh my word? So I had to find a place quick, quick, right. I wasn't spold for trade, so I found the place close to work. Move in right. The landlord tells me, Okay, there's some construction still going on. Hope your own minds are found right, So not in my apartment specifically, He just says for the rest of the building they still building. Not cool, cool, cool, it's fine. Only to find out that there's still some changes to be done inside my apartment. So the think had to be changed because it wasn't fitting the countertop that they put in. The countertop had to be changed, and they all had to put you know, the thing you hang the TV with.
Speaker 4: They had to be store it that as well.
Speaker 8: Right, it comes with the apartment standards.
Speaker 5: Okay, fine.
Speaker 8: I listened in so that I ask occasionally, hey, guys, know you can come in, And at some point they was trying, don't mind. At the end of the year, I'm like, ah, it's not except for me. Made me move out, right. They come in for an inspection, inspect the apartment and then he says, sorry, your wooden floors are scratched. Right, So I had wooden floors and it's like a small part of the wooden floor and he says, sorry, I have to keep keep three thousand rands off your deposit because I have to change this. And I'm like, excuse me, sir. You had people come in and out of my apartment carrying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the construction people are the ones that scrashed it.
Speaker 8: Not mean exactly exactly. So I went to the small claims court and they said no, no, no, that's not they they what this department it was, right, And I had to go to what's the seas in Randburgh and then I had to go to the housing tribe, you know to find it. Day, Yes, my complaint, they and yeah.
Speaker 5: Still I'm going.
Speaker 8: Still, I'm going, so I have to follow up with that case.
Speaker 3: I'm just I'm super impressed with you, Paul, that you actually because this is the problem as soon as you're running too that bureaucracy and red type. Now I've got to go there and then I've got to do that give up, people give up, And I'm impressed that you're sticking it out.
Speaker 8: And after that, he also wasn't paying because part of the what's the contract he said that our deposit would be secured in a like a fixed deposit and to care for our interests. All lie same people there. Yeah, and like believe there was a whatsap group of all the what's is the tennis there? So I look that everyone to say, hey, guys, make sure that you're getting your interest and people are like sloking out of that place. But I'm like, you're not going to play around with me, because the way he treated us was just yeah, so that's why I'm fighting for that three thousand and oh.
Speaker 1: Amanda Amanda good for you. Do not leave the fight.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, yes had to Cherio.
Speaker 1: Thanks well for this call, Kushian, you're going to wrap it up for us. You're not writing. What's your drama right now? Is your landlord?
Speaker 4: Okay, so exactly rock Cliff, But it's not really a landlord issue. It's a house drama of it. We bought a property and the seller hydacked property, and three and a half years later we finally got our property back a lot of month ago.
Speaker 1: Who are these people who raised them? Okay, so you bought the property and then the sella refused to get out?
Speaker 3: Yeah, refused?
Speaker 4: She Yeah, so she had felt that the bank had owed her money, so she was in herrears and the property is going to be auctioned. So they gave an option of the easy sell platform. So basically they were the sisters selling the property. She's still selling it. So she signed the OTP. Everything was done November twenty one. The property registers in our names and she says, well, sorry, I'm holding alsos everage over the bank to the baby, and yeah, that started a three and a half here drama.
Speaker 1: And where were you living for three and a half years? Well, this drama's.
Speaker 4: Appening pretty much all over Joe Bugs. We moved four times in two years, so we lived in rampertem with family. We had to we rented cottage in somebody's backyard. We eventually, yeah, we moved four times, and in April twenty three.
Speaker 1: You are incurring more costs because obviously now you're still paying for the house that you bought.
Speaker 4: So we were paying rent and the bottle at the same time. So eventually, in April twenty twenty three, I'd basically lost everything, so we had to move into the house. So we literally moved into the lounge. So my parents, my wife, my kids, and I lived in the lounge with her. And yeah, she lived, she lives in she lived in the main bedroom. Oh no, no, yeah, no, guys, it sounds too good to be true. Yeah yeah, And eventually she moved the homeless couple into the house as well.
Speaker 1: Try to frustrate you guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they occupied the bedrooms. We slept in the lounge. We had to share the bathroom with the homeless couple. The wife was assaulted for use in the kitchen. We were asked on a daily basis. We lost about we're over a million n that we lost in legal fees. But yeah, like you said, you're not going to get anything back. You know, because of the way the law is structured. You can't remove doors, you can't do any of these things. She couldn't do anything. She tried to take us to court because we moved in, but at the enery with a lawful owners So this is what.
Speaker 3: I was going to say. Her fight is with the bank, right, Yeah, but the bank doesn't care because it's not their problem anymore. It's now Cushion's property. Yeah, So did she not understand this is that frustrating you as Cushion isn't going to help her with the bank?
Speaker 4: Yeah, she didn't exactly that, she didn't care. She just she she took the dying to the homagement and she lost. She just didn't tell us and we were busy with the vision at all time.
Speaker 1: So what was the final store for her to finally leave?
Speaker 4: The vision was granted in January this year, she took it, she appealed that at the High Court it was dismissed, she took it to the Supreme Court and then when it was it dismissed last month, we finally got the sheriff to come and remove them, and.
Speaker 1: Where the sheriff removed them. You took the homeless couple with Yeah, every all of them.
Speaker 4: All of them had toally they were the court order stated that they wanted to leave because she called them her guests, so she was she was liable for them, so she had to make raigements for them.
Speaker 1: Basically, did you cleanse the house? Did you cleanse the house?
Speaker 4: Yes? I had a pass to come in and actually pray for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's a long road a head because the house is actually a very bad condition. It's actually quite dilapidated, so and we don't have any money to renovate. So basically people have actually gifted us with like paint and stuff like that so we can actually try and make the house owner. I've got a long road heads.
Speaker 1: I have some candles if you want to, we want to, that's wild.
Speaker 3: I'm so im as well to say I'm so sorry you had to go through this, because this is I mean, this is a hellish thing. This is not even I'm a landlord of my tenant dons and want to move up this. Yeah, I literally your house.
Speaker 1: Your house, You've got nowhere else to go and now.
Speaker 4: You have to share it.
Speaker 6: I would you need to call us?
Speaker 1: Oh my, I'm so angry on your behalf. I'm so angry, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the worst part of it all was that we actually lost my momth three months ago during this whole fight, and she said to me that son, she will die before she sees me lose the house because of the struggle that we've gone through, and sadly, yeah, just before she could see the wind, she actually passed away.
Speaker 3: So, dude, I would I cannot imagine being in your shoes. I would have given them.
Speaker 4: I would.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't wish this on anybody, but I hope you know, people actually do a lot of homework before they buy a property because this is what you could be subjected to. So it's important that you do your homework and have clauses in your contract to say that if the property is not vacant, you're not you're not taking the property.
Speaker 1: Back to making your mourning and la and on nine four seven