Neroli Brennan: This is Seeds for Success, a show where we have a good yarn about ag life, with producers who are having a go. On the show you'll hear from farmers in New South Wales, who are out there battling the elements, making tough calls and getting the job done. You'll get a laugh out of some of their stories, and also pick up some know- how along the way. I'm your host, Neroli Brennan. Today we're having a yarn with Logan Tighe. Logan owns and runs LJT Harvesting, a professional kangaroo harvesting business, with two chillers based in Coonabarabran. Logan is an avid listener to the Seeds for Success Podcast, and was keen to educate more people about the kangaroo industry. In this episode Logan talks to us about the industry, including what's involved in harvesting kangaroos and what the meat is used for. Logan is passionate about what he does, and he believes in the sustainability of the industry, the quality of the product, and the welfare of the roos. You'll also hear how Logan aims to build a trusted relationship that provides a valuable service through helping farmers reduce their grazing pressure and control their invasive pests. For him, it's a partnership between farmers and harvesters. Local Land Services Mixed Farmers Advisor, Callen Thompson, sat down for this chat with Logan just before he headed out to work for the night.
Callen Thompson: Well, today I'm with Logan Tighe. Logan's probably the first roo harvester that we've spoken to, I think, in our podcast. And I got the idea for doing this podcast while Logan and I were driving around, and I was showing him around my place, and started asking him some questions about the industry and where the product went. And I thought there's a lot of farmers that will probably be pretty interested in how roos are harvested and what the end product is. So Logan, can you tell me a bit about what a night looks like for a roo shooter?
Logan Tighe: Mate, nights can look very different. Depends on the place you go, depends on the weather, depends on all that sort of stuff. You can go out and you can go to a good place where you know you're going to shoot your 10, your 20, or you can go out to some little blocks where you could surprise yourself and you could shoot your one or your two, or you could shoot your 10. It just depends on the night and depends on the roos, and it's all that sort of stuff. Obviously your bigger places with a bit more scrub, hold a fair few more roos, so you're going to get better nights on that. But, depends.
Callen Thompson: I imagine weather still plays a fairly big part in it.
Logan Tighe: Yeah. The rain at the moment, it plays a very big part. And with the feed around at the moment, it spreads the roos out a bit. They're not mobbed up like they normally are, so it makes them a bit harder to find. Around here they're just coming back. Coming into spring, bit of clover, they're chasing that, and the crops they're coming off that a little bit now, they're a little bit higher, but they're still there. Still poking around.
Callen Thompson: Bit of wet weather, you'd be at risk of getting bogged. I know there's a few times you've had a few hairy situations on my place.
Logan Tighe: Yeah, definitely. There's a couple of wet spots around, but you got to know your country sort, and you just get around it. No one wants to go and cut up tracks for a farmer. It doesn't look real good, and no one wants to spend half a night bogged either.
Callen Thompson: No, for sure. Wind did play a bit of an issue as well, would it?
Logan Tighe: Yeah, wind. Depends on your rifle, what rifle set up you got, but it makes them a bit flighty. Obviously, it's hard to shoot in wind, but you can overcome it, just depends how much wind you've got.
Callen Thompson: I've known you since you were a little kid. I used to work with your mom and you'd come in after school and color in and do your homework and stuff like that.
Logan Tighe: Play with the trucks out in the front garden there.
Callen Thompson: Yeah. Yeah.
Logan Tighe: (Crosstalk) , it was great.
Callen Thompson: How'd you get into roo shooting?
Logan Tighe: I got a cousin who you know. He's pretty big. He really got me into it, and he really got the passion for it. Obviously as a child, as a young kid, I was shooting with my father and that sort of stuff. He's not a roo harvester, but my cousin, he set me up pretty well. That's where I got my passion from.
Callen Thompson: Yeah. No, I know who you're talking about. Him and I are good mates from early age, I think. And he's always been very passionate about kick, chasing (crosstalk) .
Logan Tighe: He's still very passionate about his roos, he loves it. Eat, sleeps, breathes it. He's really put my foot in the door and I can't thank him enough.
Callen Thompson: Yeah. Okay. And you mentioned you used to go shooting a lot with your dad, and I think your dad was actually the first person to ring me. Is he still involved with the roo shooting, or just comes out as a bit of a hobby?
Logan Tighe: The old boy comes out and opens some gates. And he doesn't tell me what I'm doing wrong, because I know I'm a bit of a better shot than him. And he knows that as well, but yeah, he keeps you awake and a bit of conversation in the paddock is always good. Always makes the night go a bit quicker, and yeah, I'd be lost without him too.
Callen Thompson: I remember talking to your mom once, she was doing a bit of paperwork for you in the early days?
Logan Tighe: Yeah. She did a fair bit of paperwork. She's pretty handy with that. She'd do my numbers and that sort of stuff. And I was going off to work, and she had a couple more hours than me. My parents really helped me out a lot with running the (crosstalk) . It's a bit of God sent really. I love it. Yeah. It's awesome. It's a passion. Definitely.
Callen Thompson: So once you've shot a roo, what does field harvesting look like?
Logan Tighe: So you shoot your roo, you go pick it up, drag it or drive to it. If you're lucky enough you can drive to it. Then you put it on the back of your rack. Depends on which company, you might take the tail off, or you might leave the tail on and then just swing him up on the back of (inaudible) . And they sit through the pelvis, and they don't touch the floor. So they don't get contaminated in that way.
Callen Thompson: Do you leave in like livers-
Logan Tighe: Liver, heart, lung, that all stays in.
Callen Thompson: Yeah. And that's so they can tell if they're healthy?
Logan Tighe: Then they can run tests on those and tell if they're healthy. And obviously tell if they've got any conditions, worms, that sort of stuff.
Callen Thompson: Oh cool. Once you've got them on the back of the (inaudible) , where do they go from there?
Logan Tighe: I own a chiller in Coonabarabran, I have my own two chillers. They go to there and then I sell to a company called Macro Meats. So they go to Adelaide essentially, in a truck. Take them to Adelaide and they export. And that's also on your shelf at Woollies.
Callen Thompson: What size roos are you looking for?
Logan Tighe: Well, anything really. We've got a minimum weight of 15 kilos for the national parks. So anything over that is fair game, good to take really, add up to your bigger stuff. Obviously there's a general consensus that most roo shooters want to take the big ones, which is handy, more money, but if you're doing it properly, you take whatever you can get really.
Callen Thompson: And so what's the market for those smaller guys, I guess?
Logan Tighe: Well, it's all the same. You just get paid per kilo. So whatever (inaudible) , it's all per kilo. So it just depends on how heavy it is really. You're obviously looking to get rid of as many as you can for the farmer and for yourself, because it's the more you get, the more money you generate obviously, and you keep your farmer happy.
Callen Thompson: And once they're at the processor, where does that meat then go to?
Logan Tighe: Like I said, it goes to Woollies or it gets exported overseas. I'm not quite too sure where they export to, but I know generally it's about 60 countries-
Callen Thompson: Okay.
Logan Tighe: That you can buy roo meat in.
Callen Thompson: And is the majority of it pet food or is some human consumption (crosstalk) ?
Logan Tighe: No, so all your bucks are human consumption, that keep the consistency in the meat.
Callen Thompson: Yep.
Logan Tighe: And your does are in your pet food.
Callen Thompson: Okay. So I imagine there's a level of accreditation and training that you have to go through?
Logan Tighe: Yeah. So it's pretty tough. Well, it's not really tough, but it's a bit to get into. You got to be pretty passionate. So you got to do a shooting course, which is a paper test and a shooting accuracy test. You have to have your rack set up, and it's all got to be accredited by Safe Food. And then you have to be approved for a national parks license to harvest your roos. And also when you get on a farmer's place, they have to fill out a consent form for the national parks, so they know where all your roos are harvested. That's about it. And you got to order tags for each roo, and all that sort of stuff.
Callen Thompson: So what sort of training do you go through for the-
Logan Tighe: The dressings side of it?
Callen Thompson: Yeah, the dressing side?
Logan Tighe: So the dressing side of it is a TAFE course that you do online, and you have to go out with a harvester and they have to show you how to do it. And you get photos or a video taken of you. And then you send that into the TAFE course and they approve you on that.
Callen Thompson: And how often do you do accuracy?
Logan Tighe: The accuracy is every five years. And your rack inspection is every year, and your national parks license is every year.
Callen Thompson: How do you ensure quality?
Logan Tighe: So you use sanitizer, you wash in between everything with sanitized water, my knives are dipped in sanitizer every time, which they're meant to be. Obviously keep them out of the dirt as much as you can keep them out of the grass, as much as you can, you don't want any foreign contaminants in there. But you got to be clean. It's not hard to be clean.
Callen Thompson: Yeah. I noticed (inaudible) is always pretty spotless.
Logan Tighe: Yeah. The stainless steel it's really good to clean. It makes your life a whole lot easier.
Callen Thompson: It's not like the old days of pig chasers driving through town with (crosstalk) all sticky and horrible looking.
Logan Tighe: Yeah, that's back in the old pet food days. They changed a lot since then. Definitely.
Callen Thompson: And I guess if you are having to do that shooting accuracy regularly, the animal welfare respect from the roos is pretty good. There's pretty much a roo standing in a paddock, next minute it's dead and it's getting dressed.
Logan Tighe: Yeah. The roo doesn't know what's happening. It doesn't feel a thing.
Callen Thompson: Yeah.
Logan Tighe: Doing the accuracy test. And I'm out in a paddock five to seven nights a week, a minimum five nights a week. You keep your practice up pretty well. You get pretty good at it.
Callen Thompson: Yeah. And I imagine you guys would be a lot better shots than a lot of farmers, who are going out into the paddy once or twice every couple of weeks.
Logan Tighe: Yeah. Well, we obviously need to shoot in the head. If we don't shoot in the head, we can be fined, because that's not a humane kill. Our accuracy is pretty good, in my own words, from what I see from the blokes I've got shooting for me. We take a fair few roos out of the area all week. It also saves a farmer a night, who's been working all day, going out shooting all night. He might like it. It might be a bit of a passion for him, but at the end of the day, he doesn't have to get out and do it every night.
Callen Thompson: Yeah. I guess from my point of view, you coming out here, save me a lot of time. I can now spend with my family at night and not have to be out in the paddock in the cold.
Logan Tighe: Yeah. It's no cost to have a roo shoot at all. There's no cost to it. It's all basically free. We're helping each other out. In a sense I'm helping you with your crop and you pasture, keeping the roos off it. And you're helping me by, I obviously make money out of it. And I love it. It's a passion for me. It's not a job.
Callen Thompson: Yeah. And I noticed in the drought, even paddocks that we completely de- stocked of sheep or cattle, were still getting heavily grazed by roos. And it was causing some pretty bad ground cover issues.
Logan Tighe: In the drought it was easier to shoot roos than when it's wet, obviously, because there's not as much feed. So you could really clean out the roos. But there was a big problem with roos in the drought. It was very noticeable. And now you can notice they're still there, they haven't died off like people said, they have, they're just more spread out. They're all covered in the scrub. They've got plenty of food, plenty of water. They don't have to come out if they don't want to. But now they're chasing the clover and that's a bit richer, they'll end up poking out a bit more coming in the spring. In summer, they'll definitely be out.
Callen Thompson: Is it hard to find farms to actually harvest?
Logan Tighe: It is and it isn't. Some farms are a bit different about it. Some are like, you are really approachable. I've known you since I was a kid, basically. Been around the area, I've known a lot of people. And then you get on some people's properties and word of mouth gets around and yeah, it works out pretty well. Word of mouth around about me now. And I don't really have to chase country and door knock like I used to, but also, I don't have country coming in every week. You just got to be presentable. Know what you're talking about basically. And just be yourself.
Callen Thompson: Word of mouth in small rural towns does travel. If you weren't doing a good job for a farmer, people would say (crosstalk) .
Logan Tighe: It's in my completely best interest to do everything right by the farmer. Not leave gates open, not leave trash through paddocks, not do the wrong thing, essentially. Not shoot top wise or fences. Roo shoot is pretty respectable. We know if we do the wrong thing, it comes back to bite us at the end of the day. And it's not good for anyone.
Callen Thompson: Even though you do love it, it is a job.
Logan Tighe: Yeah.
Callen Thompson: And you've got to be professional (crosstalk) .
Logan Tighe: 100%. You've got to be very professional. It is a job. But they say, if you like your job, you never work a day in your life. And that's exactly what it's like, for me anyway.
Callen Thompson: You work full time during the day as well. How do you manage working all day and then not sleeping at night?
Logan Tighe: You get in a routine. You definitely get in a routine. Some days you're a bit doughy, but you push through. Like I said, it's a passion for me. So you got to know your limits as well. You obviously don't want to drive tired. You're endangering yourself and other people. That's not a great thing, but you got to know your limits basically.
Callen Thompson: Logan, I've noticed when I drive into my paddocks, I often see the dead fox and dead pig. And you always give me a rundown on what pigs you've seen and things like that.
Logan Tighe: Love knocking over pigs. They're very destructive. You know yourself, seeing it in your own crops. They just get in there and they dig and dig and dig. And foxes the same, around lambing time, foxes are terrible. I always knock down foxes, especially.
Callen Thompson: And I think that's a part of the industry that people don't know or don't understand, is that you guys are actually taking a lot of those feral animals that we are working really hard to control, out of the system as well.
Logan Tighe: Yeah. And that's it. And obviously with harvesting kangaroos, if a farmer's going out and shooting him himself, he's leaving him in a paddock, and they're going to sit there and they're going to stink. He doesn't have to deal with that. He doesn't have to drive past a paddock of (inaudible) he wants to have a look at, and go, " I don't like driving here because it stinks." He doesn't have to worry about that. It's a bit different, but if you've got gut piles there, you're going to have foxes coming in as well. So you know you can go there and you can clean up a couple foxes as well. And pigs, same goes for pigs.
Callen Thompson: Yeah. And I guess you've removing that meat, that high protein meat that allows pig numbers to really build up and fox numbers to build up too?
Logan Tighe: Yeah, can't get them all, but you can do your best. You can clean a fair few up in a night. And the foxes are pretty tricky to shoot, I'm not going to lie, but nine times out of 10, you'll get them.
Callen Thompson: Yep. So Logan, one of the first things I think you and I had a yarn about was biosecurity. So for me on my own farm, biosecurity's really important. And it's a message from LS that we're always streaking, is that clean on and off. How do you manage that side of things?
Logan Tighe: Basically blow the (jute) out every afternoon and wash it out. You can't get 100% out, but you can do your best to limit it. You can take all the mud out. (inaudible) are bad. They get everywhere in your radiator, grass, seeds, all that sort of stuff. You got to do your best to get it out, basically. If you're turning up on farm and, and your jute is messy, that's not a great look, it's not a desirable look. Like I said, it's not hard to be clean. It might take you an hour to wash your jute, or you might just do it when you get home while you're still awake and clean it out. So then you're ready to go the next day. But yeah, biosecurity is a big thing. And a lot of farmers always talk about biosecurity as well.
Callen Thompson: That's good to know. Often I'm wondering whether our message is getting through.
Logan Tighe: No, (crosstalk) especially, you see all the signs on the gate and everything now, the biosecurity signs. So there's a lot of farmers around here that are really into it.
Callen Thompson: Yeah. Awesome.
Logan Tighe: Which is good to see.
Callen Thompson: Yeah. Is there any new technology that you guys are starting to use, or that you can see being used in the future?
Logan Tighe: I've seen a lot of shooters, I don't have it myself, but they're using thermal. So it cuts down on the light, which then spooks to roos. It's a very easy way to spot something in a paddock. You obviously see the bright red glow, and you can make it out, what it is perfectly. You can see the size of the animal. Same with foxes, pigs, roos, anything. That's one thing I've seen that's a really big advancement. But like I said, I haven't got it myself or used it. But I know a bloke that has got it, and he loves it.
Callen Thompson: And I imagine that's fairly expensive technology now, but hopefully it'll come down a bit in the future.
Logan Tighe: Hopefully it'll come down. It is pretty expensive. You can get cheaper versions, but if you're doing it full time, you want the best one you can get, or a mid one. But yeah, it's pretty handy from what I've seen. And I'm still a old spotlight and scope sort of bloke, like old fateful. That's what roo shooters have been doing for years. It works efficiently, it's easy, it's fail safe as well. But yeah, that's about it, really. Yep.
Callen Thompson: What's the plans for the future? Is roo shooting a long term job for you?
Logan Tighe: I'm about to start another apprenticeship. Yep. But I'll still be doing mt roos. So I'll be able to make that work again. So that'll be my second apprenticeship, but it's definitely a long term goal for me. I've got my two boxes here. I've got a fair few blokes shooting for me. They pretty well run themselves. There's a bit in running the chiller. You got to do your daily temps every day, and you've got to check your box, make sure it's running all right. You've got parameters in times, roos have got to be cooled down and all that sort of stuff. But yeah, it's definitely a long term plan for me. I'd love to retire early and keep doing it, but just depends on what happens I guess.
Callen Thompson: And in managing all those brew shooters that are delivering to your boxes, do they deliver only to you, or do they deliver to other boxes?
Logan Tighe: No. Well, they only deliver to me as far as I know, obviously. We've got an invoice system, so I supply book, they write down their roos, their weights, where they were shot. So you need a pit number as well, where that was shot. And you got tag advice numbers that helps both of us, because with them, we both have to log them in a system for the national parks monthly, and the box has got to be done weekly. That just shows the national parks where they're at with their numbers and all that sort of stuff.
Callen Thompson: So it sounds like a fair bit of paperwork involved?
Logan Tighe: There's definitely a lot of paperwork in it. It's a very regulated game.
Callen Thompson: And I guess it needs to be, to make sure you're not taking too many roos, and also keeping that quality.
Logan Tighe: That's it. Your pit numbers trace it as well. So it trace it to the place they come off. The quality is a big thing, but it's pretty well regulated.
Callen Thompson: Yeah. (inaudible) mate. Well, thanks so much for your time.
Logan Tighe: No worries. Thank you for the opportunity.
Callen Thompson: It's been good for us all to get a better understanding of where the roos go.
Logan Tighe: Yeah, it's good to shed some light on it. We're here to help, basically.
Callen Thompson: Cool. Thanks mate.
Neroli Brennan: Thanks for listening. This podcast was brought to you by Central West Local Land Services. Local Land Services delivers advice and support to farmers, landholders, and the community across New South Wales. To learn more, you can find us online by searching for Central West Local Land Services. If you'd like more information about the topics we discussed today, as well as links to relevant articles, fact sheets, events, and other helpful resources, we've added those into the show notes for this episode. You can find them by tapping or swiping over the cover art in your podcast player now. Hey, and while you're there, please leave us a five star review. It really helps other farmers find the show. I'm your host, Neroli Brennan, and I'll chat to you next time.