Neroli Brennan: This is Seeds for Success, a show where we have a good yarn about ag life with producers who are having a go. On the show, you'll hear from farmers in New South Wales who are out there battling the elements, making tough calls, and getting the job done. You'll get a laugh out of some of their stories and also pick up some know- how along the way. I'm your host, Neroli Brennan. Today, we're catching up with Jacob Knight. Jacob is a third generation farmer, who works alongside his family on Boxwood, their 2, 200 hectare property just near Mendooran. In this episode, you'll hear how over the last few decades the Knights have slowly been improving their business through constant self- evaluation, in an attempt to work out the best mix of enterprises. You'll also hear Jacob explain how over the last few years they've increased their focus on dual- purpose cropping and the establishment of temperate pastures, all in an effort to maximize production in their prime lamb enterprise. Local Land Services cropping advisor, Tim Bartimote, sat down with Jacob for a cuppa and this chat at Boxwood.
Tim Bartimote: Good day, everyone. Welcome back to the podcast. Today we're here with Jacob Knight out at Boxwood. How you going, Jacob?
Jacob Knight: Good, Tim. Thanks for having me on.
Tim Bartimote: No worries. Thanks for being here, for letting me come and annoy you about what you do.
Jacob Knight: No dramas.
Tim Bartimote: Can you tell us a little bit about Boxwood?
Jacob Knight: We are here on Boxwood, Tim. This is a family mixed farm. I'm farming here with my brother and my father and our families. My brother and his wife and four kids, and me and my wife and about to have our fourth, and mom and dad here. That's where we're at, just out of Mendooran.
Tim Bartimote: When you say mixed- farming enterprise, what does that consist of?
Jacob Knight: We're mixed farming. Probably the main business is prime lambs come from first- cross ewes. We also do a fair bit of cropping and pastures, a bit of hay. And we've done a bit of cattle trading and just recently put a few of those on again.
Tim Bartimote: For those who aren't familiar with the Mendooran district, which we're not too far from, how many K's are we from Mendooran?
Jacob Knight: We're eight to 10 K's out of Mendooran, on the Southeast corner.
Tim Bartimote: What is the country typically like around here?
Jacob Knight: We've got a fair mix of soils here, Tim, but where we are here on Boxwood, it's more of the redder country. But as we get close to Mendooran, we go down into lighter, sandy acid soils. But there's quite a mix here. Boxwood's the first place that my grandfather bought back in '87, I think it was. There's a couple of paddocks up there back there that they're called Lizard and Goanna. Back then, going round for the inspection, the previous vendor said, " We won't even bother going to look at them. You can't run a Goanna up there." But we've got tropicals up there and it's some of our most productive ground, so it's come a long way in those years.
Tim Bartimote: Maybe it's just me, but there's a bit of a perception that Mendooran country is typically that soupy stuff that you get stuck in when it's too wet.
Jacob Knight: There's a bit of a mix, and you certainly do get soup and some of that down there does get quite wet. In saying that, some of that sandy country does drain pretty well as well. If you go down, you'll go down, but it's not too bad. We've tried it out in the last couple of years and we haven't had too many major disasters.
Tim Bartimote: That's good to hear. You mentioned that your grandfather bought the original block, so back in '87 was it?
Jacob Knight: Yeah. I think in '87 they bought this block here, Boxwood, and they bought that there was a couple of sons that wanted to come back on the farm. They had country at Cowra and it was too dear for them to expand enough back there. We moved up here to Mendooran and this block came with a fully working piggery, so they ran that for 15 years or something. In early 2000s, I think we got out of the pigs. It was too much work and no money, so we got rid of them. Since then, we've added a couple of blocks on to Boxwood here to get to where we are today.
Tim Bartimote: Talk us through that transition in enterprises. Because actually, that reminded me, the audience won't know this, but I actually did a couple of weeks work experience back here when I was at school with your old man. I remember him telling me a bit about the piggery. How's that been in that, because you were in our conversations that we've had before, you've mentioned that you're moving towards more a dual- purpose introduced pasture focus. What's that been like over the last, since your grandfather bought it till now?
Jacob Knight: I haven't been around as long as they have, but that was before I was born, '87. But I think that there's been a transition I guess. They did the piggery and that was working well for quite a while, but then I think it must have been that the grain prices were going up and the imports were coming in, and that there was just no money in it. Even back then, hard to get someone to look after the pigs that you can trust and go away. They're just so intensive, you can't leave them really. That's probably the idea of being more grazing focused as well. We want this to be a place that is good for us, that we're not tied to. It's been a continual transition, and we're just looking at what suits. And as we've added on, back in 2015 I think was when we bought the last place, which was in between a couple of places that we had, and that nearly doubled our size to where we are now. Coming from there, it's just been a gradual what works for us, what works for the country and I guess where there's a bit of profit as well.
Tim Bartimote: Because how much of your country's currently just cropping? How much would you put in each year?
Jacob Knight: We've got about 2, 200 hectares here all up. This year, we're probably going to sow probably about half of that, maybe just over half. But we're working towards getting more sown- down pasture and not having to farm as much by sowing tropicals, permanent pasture, as well as on some of this redder country, the better country, well, different country. That's our lucerne block. The lucerne's, currently we're Working towards an eight- year rotation. We're four years lucerne, take it out for four years for typically a canola wheat rotation, and back into lucerne for four years. That's sort of part of it. This year I think there's, I don't know, maybe 400 hectares or so that'll go down to some permanent pasture and some lucerne. What's that? Six or 700 hectares of crop left this year. It was a bit higher last year. Just trying to get country in order and get it sown down to pasture.
Tim Bartimote: Tell me a bit about your tropical. What species are you-
Jacob Knight: Normally the grass is predominantly just digit grass, premier digit grass. We did do a little bit of Rhodes grass back in the day, but haven't done any of that for a long time. Put a bit of Bambatsi in a paddock that was just a bit of a mixed- soil type, and probably would do that again. And then underneath it, it's got the clovers bicerella, a bit of siradella as well, so quite a good mix. And on that country you find it good... A little bit of rain on that lighter country and the tropicals will respond really quickly and grow some good feed. It's probably not as good a feed as the lucerne, but it grows 10 mill rain down there on that sandier country and the digit will go away, but it'll do nothing to a hard lucerne paddock, won't even shoot. It's good having a mix and helps being able to rotate stuff around.
Tim Bartimote: And so how do you find transitioning a paddock into that premier digit block?
Jacob Knight: It's definitely a learning experience. We've done quite a few different ones. We've had very few total failures to be honest. Sometimes you think, oh this is going to be no good, but then it just seems to come up when it wants to. Typically, the Bob Freeburn style of three years of cropping and following over summer and getting rid of all your weeds and cleaning up the seed bank and then just stick it in and see what happens. Mostly it's been pretty good. We've got another maybe three paddocks or something to put in this year, so we'll do those shortly and see how we go.
Tim Bartimote: And how do you find feeding those pastures? Do you have to give it a fair bit of urea or anything like that?
Jacob Knight: Yes, we have been. Ultimately the goal is probably to do the urea most years and maybe the pasture every second year or something like that, so we've done a bit of a mix. Sometimes we've done a blend of single end urea and just put that out so you're only passing over the paddock once. And other times we've done straight, single or straight urea, just depends on what you're trying to feed. It also depends on how the season runs. Season end management, if you've got your summer grass eaten down quite well and you've got space for your legumes to come up, sometimes we get a really good crop of legume and obviously that helps adding nitrogen to the soil. Whereas other times if there's not much of a winter or spring, the legumes have done basically nothing, so you've really got to feed that grass if you want good production out of it. It's also a bit of a... You can decide if you've got the stock and you need the grass, you can put the urea out and you know you're going to get a payback from it. Whereas if you think you've got plenty else, then you can just let it go and chew it off a bit but maybe not get as high a production.
Tim Bartimote: What are your thoughts for 2023?
Jacob Knight: I think we like to hedge our bets a bit. Traditionally we've been going a 50/ 50 blend of MAP in urea through the asada with the seed and that gets it, because nearly all of our cropping is dual purpose cropping, so we go quite early so we can get a graze or a lot of grazing off it and lock it up. But that also just gives you a bit of flexibility so you've got some fur there to get it going and get the early feed off it and then you can top it up as needed really. There's a bit there but you also haven't put it all on, so you've got time to keep adjusting as the seasonal allows.
Tim Bartimote: Jacob, you've mentioned a little bit about dual purpose cropping and introduce pastures. In terms of the dual purpose, what species are you using?
Jacob Knight: We've been doing wheat a lot lately, so we've been using mostly Kittyhawk the last couple of years. We've put a bit of Severn in as well or Bennett Wheat and then we're finding them good for grazing and then also grain recovery at the end. Done a bit of the oats as well. We still do a bit of oats on that lighter country. Did a fair bit of trit back in the early days, back in early two thousands, probably 10 or 15 years ago. But we're having a lot of trouble with frosting and we think we've gone to this Kokoda, which we think is probably better for that. We found that Kokoda quite good, grows well, can get good grazing off it and then also good grain recovery on that lighter soil where wheat's not going to do as well.
Tim Bartimote: It was a pretty handy variety actually because I remember we had a conversation about some of the trials that we did with that in terms of dry matter production and that really kicked a few goals.
Jacob Knight: For us, it's a good crop but it's just a ground it suits as well so it's nice to put it there and be able to get good production off the ground as well as grain recovery, so it's good.
Tim Bartimote: Is that particularly aluminum percentages that you're talking about?
Jacob Knight: A bit of aluminum but just that lighter soil, more acid and lighter, lighter sandy soil. The wheat's just not going to do there. Sometimes the trit doesn't either. It just depends on the season as well. But no, it does suit down there a lot better than the wheat. It oats country as well. You could grow oats there no worries. But we are fine with the trit. You get more tons per hectare and it's worth more as well. Sometimes a little bit hard to market it or get rid of it. But profit per hectare, the trit's definitely over the oats.
Tim Bartimote: Just in terms of the grazing?
Jacob Knight: Grazing and grain, both.
Tim Bartimote: What are your thoughts when people say, " Oh, triticale is a bit hot on stock?"
Jacob Knight: It could be. I don't think it's any worse than wheat, so it's all just about management. Tim, we're feeding it in the feed lot at the moment. It's just about how you get them onto it. I think it is what it is. It's not oats, but we typically don't do a lot of oats either through feed. Sometimes we use oats for induction and then transfer them over to Bali or triticale. Don't often feed wheat. It's more of a premium to sell. But trit seems to be a good middle ground.
Tim Bartimote: And so just touching back to those wheat varieties that you use, how do you find Bennett particularly requiring... How do you find that with disease?
Jacob Knight: Last year we didn't grow any Bennett and we probably won't this year either. We switched over to the Severn. I think the Bennett probably was slightly better in terms of production or certainly biomass production anyway in that green grazing phase and probably similar in grain recovery I think. But it's just one of those things you have to manage putting chemical on the fertilizer to try and help with the rust and then spraying it two or three or four times to try and keep it out of it. As technology moves forward, hopefully they'll be able to make newer varieties that produce as much without those issues. But it's just one of those things you've just got to manage them. The reason that we're not doing all of them is, we're just trying to simplify it. You can have 10 different varieties of wheat growing here if you want to. Last year we did a bit of Mustang wheat as well because we were quite wet in the early sowing season so we got the Mustang so we could go a bit later. But we're just trying to get two varieties of wheat if we can keep it simple and go from there.
Tim Bartimote: And have you played around with a bit of grazing canola as well?
Jacob Knight: We did a little bit of grazing canola. I reckon that might have been five or more years ago, probably might have been nearly 10 years ago. There's definitely benefits there I can see. But the biggest one is animal health. I think we certainly lost a few, we only had sheep at that stage and we lost a few ewes on it, lamb ewes. I think it's management and they will grow well, but you've just got to look after them and be really on top of it, make sure the licks out and make sure they're all going to the lick and they're wean them onto it and maybe have hay access there so they can have a bit of roughage as well. But we've done a few brassica mixes as well with what we call it, a foda mix. Just ryegrass, brassica, a bit of tillage radish, clover, that sort of thing. And we find that quite good because it's a mixed species, they can choose what they want to eat and it grows well.
Tim Bartimote: There's potential to not eliminate but reduce some of the animal health risks.
Jacob Knight: I think definitely with the mix it helps just not having a straight paddock of canola. It definitely helps to have that variety that they can choose from.
Tim Bartimote: I just want to touch on the fact that you've got ryegrass that you're sowing. How does it feel doing a fair bit of cropping, trying to keep that out of one paddock and putting it in another?
Jacob Knight: It's interesting. Just finished up our spray program at the moment and you're always just trying to get weed, ryegrass and summer weed and all that sort of stuff and then you go and plant ryegrass. It does feel funny but it's also, that's a mixed business. We're not a straight cropping farm and we're not a straight livestock farm, so there's always compromises one way or another. And the ryegrass has been growing well for us the last few years that we've planted as well. Quite productive and pretty good feed. Those sown introduced species are certainly better than the stuff we're trying to spray, so it is different there. That's actually sown for feed, not just a weed.
Tim Bartimote: You've mentioned that you've probably moved a little bit from a more heavily cropping focus to a grazing focus. Can you explain what the thinking is there?
Jacob Knight: Typically, we've done cropping but it's always been... It's been a mixed business and it's dual purpose cropping a lot. I think we're probably just moving away from the cropping a little bit, both for labor reasons, just for logistics when you're trying to sow and harvest and spray and stall grain and all of that stuff. Also for lifestyle, it's a bit less stress with the grazing business, you've got a bit more time to react and manage where we are. We're just dry land, if it doesn't rain. And then the risk as well, I think, so if it doesn't rain you get nothing off a crop. Whereas at least with the dual purpose crop you've got grazing off nearly always. We'll get some grazing off and then you can just do what you want with your stock. You can feed them through the drought. In '18, '19, '20... '17, '18 '19, we fed all the ewes and we made that choice and we kept reassessing and looking at it. But you don't have a lot of choices or options with the cropping. You do, there are options there if either grazing it or cutting it for hay or that sort of thing, but you're really reliant on what happens from the sky.
Tim Bartimote: Jacob, you mentioned before that you've got a bit of a prime lamb operation as part of your bigger mixed enterprise. Can you explain the process you go through there?
Jacob Knight: For the last I think 10 years we've just been buying our first cross ewes in, so we just buy them in each year and put a ram over them and try and grow as many big fat lambs as we can. We've got options here as well. We can take them out to heavyweights or a few times over the last few years we've sold them as store lambs and they're really good lambs. It's quite a simple operation, just buy the ewes and grow lambs.
Tim Bartimote: What ram you bring in?
Jacob Knight: We put in a White Suffolk over the first cross year.
Tim Bartimote: And is there a particular reason why you take that approach? Is it purely because of the simplicity of it?
Jacob Knight: Probably the simplicity. That's what we have been doing. We're always looking at different ideas and different options and not just with the sheep but cropping or anything else, you've always got to keep reevaluating. You can't just keep doing the same thing just because you're doing the same thing. But with the ewes it's quite simple. You buy in the ewes and we've been buying from the same place for quite a long time. We've got a good relationship there and we know what genetics we've got and we know that we grow good lambs and they will perform well. Yes, that's just been how we've been doing it.
Tim Bartimote: And you've already touched on this slightly, but how did you go about... What was your decision process in the drought? Did you try to keep as many as you could?
Jacob Knight: Yeah, that's the way we looked at it and we did, we kept reevaluating it. In the end, we did keep nearly all of the ewes through. We might have called a little bit harder, but we didn't sell off a mob of ewes as ewes. We kept looking at it and we knew that when the rains came they sheep would get deer again and it would get harder to get back into them. And I guess because we have focused on genetics, we knew what we had and they weren't just any ewes that we wanted to get rid of, we wanted to look after them and keep them. But we kept looking at it and we still joined and lamb down through the drought and got some pretty good results surprisingly. But we learned a lot too, through that. It was just a decision that we made and kept coming back to and kept deciding that it was a reasonable thing and it turned out pretty good when it rained we had the ewes there and we let them out and away we went.
Tim Bartimote: What are some of the things that you did learn from that experience?
Jacob Knight: There's just all sorts of different things to do with joining to do with feeding, to do with lambing down in the feed lot and we were feeding ewes as they were lambing in a small feedlot paddock. Lots of things that aren't ideal but it is doable and you can do it again if you want to. It's just I guess the knowledge that you've got there that it's possible. It just allows you to make decisions, Tim. You just don't want to be forced into a decision I think, and that doesn't matter whether it's sheep or cropping or whatever else, you want to have time to be able to make a good decision or foresight. You don't want to be forced to sell because your stock are too skinny and you get no money for them anyway. It's a decision that you make, so to have that as another tool that you can use is definitely helpful.
Tim Bartimote: You mentioned having being able to make a decision and not be forced into a situation. What enabled you to do that?
Jacob Knight: I think we're still learning as we're going, Tim. But it's just looking at it, dad's quite good on this as well. He looks at his numbers and he figures out how much is it going to cost to feed them, how much return are we going to get from them if we're joining them and lambing them down? How much is it going to cost to get back into them when the drought does break? Because it's always going to rain again, it's just a matter of when. It's a focus on numbers and it's a numbers game. Yes, we wanted to keep them because we like our ewes and they're good genetics ewes that we've paid for so we didn't want to sell them. But looking at it and reevaluating it and knowing what we can do with them, allowed us to make good numbers- based decisions around what we should be doing.
Tim Bartimote: It's that idea of always self- evaluating what you're doing. Is this going to work? Is this going to work out all right, if we're buying in feed? Are we going to be able to cash in on the end?
Jacob Knight: Like I said before, you've got to keep... Even with the enterprises, you've just got to keep reevaluating and seeing how things change. It hurts when you're buying a B- double, a week of grain and it's over $400 a ton. That hurts when you're feeding a lot of sheep. But if you can justify it, financially and business- wise, then that's okay. But you've just got to keep coming back to it and looking at it, doing your numbers, seeing what's happening.
Tim Bartimote: It's that old adage of it's all right to spend money as long as you're making money at the other end.
Jacob Knight: That's right. You've got to look at it for the long run and see rather than just, " Oh well I've got them here, so I better buy another load of grain so I can feed them." We had all the lambs in the feed lot as well and we knew what they were doing, how they were performing. We took a few contracts so we knew what was going to be coming in and so you can figure it all out. Takes a lot of management and I think we learned a lot through it as well.
Tim Bartimote: And so understanding all that, how are you feeling with current prices backing off a little?
Jacob Knight: It's always interesting and I think that's one of the challenges that we have to deal with as farmers. We don't really get to choose what our stuff costs to buy. Fertilizer's coming back a bit now, but the last 12, 18 months has been crazy for fertilizer prices historically. And we don't get to choose what we sell things at really. There's a bit of flexibility there, especially with storing grain. But with lambs, the lambs are ready when they're there, when they're ready. And you sell them at the price you can get. There is contracts and that sort of thing, but sometimes it's just unavoidable. Lambs aren't bad at the moment really historically, but they've pulled back a bit definitely from what they were. But as I said before, you've just got to keep looking at it. Can you make money out of our system of buying ewes and selling lambs or how's the trade cattle looking? Or do you make some more hay this year or what is it? You just got to keep looking at it and doing your figures and doing your numbers and seeing how it all works for where you're at.
Tim Bartimote: And so is that one of the benefits of having this mixed enterprise is, you have that flexibility to be like, " Oh, this part of the business isn't doing and crash up because of this market where shift back put a bit more emphasis back on the cropping side of things." Or vice versa, or you don't have as much flexibility as that?
Jacob Knight: There's definitely some flexibility there, but I think it's a mixed farm is interesting. I think I said to you before, there's always compromises in a mixed farm, which is okay, that's the business that we run. But what's best for the cropping enterprise may not be best for the sheep enterprise. You've just got to figure out your priorities and be able to shift your focus. It's a benefit, but it's also requires more management, I think than just a single enterprise business.
Tim Bartimote: Okay. It feels like you got a few more balls in the air.
Jacob Knight: I guess so. And that's why we try and spread the management out more on the cropping pasture machinery side of the business and my brother and dad are more on the livestock grazing side. It's about dividing that management but then also coming together and making the decisions as a team, as a whole farm business really to figure out what's going to be best for the business as a whole, not just the singular enterprise.
Tim Bartimote: Does that mean you get to spend more time in an air- conditioned cab and they spend more time in the outs?
Jacob Knight: Yeah, probably Tim. Most of the tractor seat hours, is me.
Tim Bartimote: Jacob, it was great to have a chat with you and learn a bit more about Boxwood and the family farm out here. But yeah, appreciate your time mate.
Jacob Knight: No, thanks for coming out, Tim. Good on you.
Neroli Brennan: Thanks for listening. This podcast was brought to you by Central West Local Land Services. Local Land Services delivers advice and support to farmers, landholders and the community across New South Wales. To learn more, you can find us online by searching for Central West Local Land Services. If you'd like more information about the topics we discussed today, as well as links to relevant articles, fact sheets, events, and other helpful resources, we've added those into the show notes for this episode. You can find them by tapping or swiping over the cover art in your podcast player now. Hey, and while you're there, please leave us a five star review. It really helps other farmers find the show. I'm your host, Neroli Brennan, and I'll chat to you next time.