Neroli Brennan: This is Seeds for Success, a show where we have a good yarn about Ag life with producers who are having a go. On the show, you'll hear from farmers in New South Wales who are out there battling the elements, making tough calls, and getting the job done. You'll get a laugh out of some of their stories and also pick up some know- how along the way. I'm your host, Neroli Brennan. Today, we are chatting with Paul Sinderberry . Paul, along with his wife and daughter, farm at Karawatha, 50 kilometers north of Condobolin. They run a traditional mixed farm with wheat, canola, and pulse cropping, as well as running commercial and stud Angus cattle. In this episode, you'll hear how their stud cattle operation, Moogenilla Angus, was part of the impetus behind their investigation and trialing of hard- seeded legumes within their pasture system. The low bloating nature of some hard- seeded pasture legumes, such as Biserrula and serradella, was very attractive to Paul's operation after he lost expensive stud animals on bloating, legume pastures like lucerne and clover. Paul also shares with us some useful tips if considering growing hard- seeded legumes on your own farm. Local land services mixed farming officer, Rohan Leach, join Paul on the lounge at Karawatha over a cuppa and a toasted sandwich to bring you this great chat.
Rohan Leach: Paul, welcome to the Seeds for Success podcast.
Paul Sinderberry: Thanks, Rowan. We've got a beautiful day here and thanks for coming out.
Rohan Leach: Mate, do you mind telling the listeners where we are and what you do?
Paul Sinderberry: Yeah. Karawatha, we're about 50Ks north of Condobolin, Central New South Wales. We're a mix farm, cropping and cattle and breed bulls. We've got two properties. Yeah, the home block is about six and a half thousand hectares.
Rohan Leach: And that's Karawatha?
Paul Sinderberry: Yeah. Karawatha and then about 60Ks northwest near Babinda, got another block there. It's about four and a half thousand hectares. And yeah, we're running cattle and cropping out there to tidy the place up too.
Rohan Leach: Yep. What are some of your soil types here?
Paul Sinderberry: Typical red soils, sandy clay loams. Yeah, low phosphorus, low nitrogen and yeah, typically 4. 8 to about 5.5 pH.
Rohan Leach: Fairly acid, like probably the majority of the state, west of the hill.
Paul Sinderberry: Yeah. As we're finding, getting more acid all the time. We've got a liming program going as well when it rains. Yeah, our rainfall, we're about 425 mills average. Now we can grow good crops and yeah, grow good pastures as well when it rains.
Rohan Leach: Do you mind just telling me a bit about your cropping program? What crops do you grow?
Paul Sinderberry: Yeah, so I mean the basis is wheat, but yeah, wheat, canola, field peas, a bit of barley, sometimes chickpeas. This year, we're got about four and a half thousand hectares in. We're trying to tidy up some country at the moment as well. But yeah, about four and a half thousand hectares of crop, and about 700 breeders.
Rohan Leach: That sounds like a big job, mate. What's your business structure and people involved in the business?
Paul Sinderberry: Sarah and I, we've over the years, developed a bit of a system I suppose. She's in charge of the cattle, I'm in charge of the cropping. Yeah. We can discuss what happens in between with the pastures and that sort of thing. We've got two full- time employees and my daughter's involved as well. She's partnered with one of the employees, Brett, and they live on the block out near Babinda.
Rohan Leach: Sarah looks after the cattle and you look after the cropping. You come together When it comes for the pasture stuff though, I think.
Paul Sinderberry: Oh yeah, no, as I say, we got to always try and maximize your returns, maximize the efficiency. Yeah, so we grow grazing crops with the cattle. Yeah, when you're trying to run two enterprises, you've got to make compromises. Yeah. Right at the moment, we're finding Illabo wheat's going really well on the grazing side of things. And that's yeah, pretty much how I got into the Biserrula and that. We under- sew all of our crops when they go out traditionally with lucerne and rose clover in particular. And they'll be out for five to seven years until the lucerne thins out and then yeah, come back into the croppy again. Yeah, along the way, you got to make compromises, but that's generally how it works.
Rohan Leach: I've just noticed that you said the Biserrula there, so I'll seize on that. That's a great segue into my next topic. You are tied up with the Central West farming Systems producer demonstration site this year. Do you mind sort of explaining what your involvement is there?
Paul Sinderberry: I guess, yeah, for a while I'd been on the hunt for some pasture other than lucerne. Basically, we run Angus cattle breed bulls, we can grow really good pastures. And occasionally, the pastures are too hot and now we have lots of issues with bloat. We've got ways of managing that with bloat oil and hay and that sort of thing. But there's just times, anyway, it's a compromise. I've been on hunt for a while to try to find something different. And I came across Biserrula and serradella. Did some research. Talked to some good people, particularly Dr. Belinda Hackney, who helped me a lot. And yeah, we ended up sewing some trial sites here and out of that by Biserrula and serradella. And probably particularly the Biserrula have done really, really well. Then non- bloating, so of it's going really well through that. Then Central West Farming Systems came on and MLA, gave us a hand and supplied us with some seed and stuff like that. And now we're working at integrating those Biserrula pastures with the cropping system and possibly replacing the pulses with Biserrula. That's where, yeah, MLA's showing an interest. Yeah.
Rohan Leach: Yeah, cool. Because we've gone for a little drive around this morning and I noticed that you had a dam fenced off and you had bloat troughs and that sort of stuff in a paddock of lucerne. You were doing all the right things I guess, and with hay and whatever, but you just still found that risk of bloat just too high with the lucerne?
Paul Sinderberry: It's just that unknowing. I mean, yeah, you can go 90% of the time, you're absolutely fine. And then the one morning that you go out and it's not fine, that hurts. And particularly even from an animal welfare point of view, but an economic point of view now with the price of cattle and that, it really hurts. Yeah, we're just always looking for alternatives.
Rohan Leach: Yeah. Have you got any horror stories about bloat?
Paul Sinderberry: We haven't really. The odd one, certainly no large numbers, which has been good. But financially we've lost a couple of very valuable animals. Yeah, that hurts a lot,
Rohan Leach: It would do, particularly at this time in the cycle of Angus prices. They've seen some pretty crazy prices. And you guys hear yourself at moving a lot of Angus. Yeah. You guys had been doing all right as well. Can you tell me when did you first sow your first crop of these hard- seeded legumes Biserrula and serradella and a few others was it?
Paul Sinderberry: Yeah, 2017. I went to a couple of presentations days where yeah, Linda Hackney was speaking. Yeah, it was through discussions with her. She suggested that we try, instead of just sewing one or two things, whatever, try a paddock, single species strips and just see what performed. Yeah. In 1785 hectare paddock and we sewed I think seven different species just in single lines. Tried to work it so it was the sewing matched up with boom spray wits if we needed to spray it. And we had arrowleaf clover and Biserrula and bladder clover, gland, two types of serradella, rose clover. And so, that was really interesting because yeah, we sewed them, they all grew. People remember 2017 in this area, it started well off the back of '16.
Rohan Leach: We had a good autumn that year, didn't we?
Paul Sinderberry: Yeah, we had a pretty good autumn. Everything got off to a good start. And then basically, just about the middle of the year it just stopped raining. And then we had a heap of frosts, a lot of crop got frosted. It was pretty hard on the pastures. But straight up from that I was really impressed with the growth and the length of season that the Biserrula and serradella in particular had. Arrow leaf clover looked good at the time. Rose clover did what it always does. It's good ground cover but then cut out really quickly. On the back of that, I actually bought another ton of serradella and sewed that into a different paddock. Unfortunately, that didn't go so well. Basically didn't rain. I think we must have had just enough small rains that it germinated, a bit of a downer. But then late in '18 we had an inch of rain, October or something. And all of a sudden the Biserrula I'd say in the previous year just bounced back and took off. And I was actually able to graze that paddock a bit, just pretty much on that. I thought that was pretty amazing. Then we went through '19. And '19 just got worse. Pretty much didn't see anything in '19. And so, by the end of that thinking, " Oh, well, okay. This is all that was good fun, but nothing's going to come of it."
Rohan Leach: Fun while it lasted. Yeah.
Paul Sinderberry: Fun while it lasted. That paddock we sewed oats into in '20 when it started raining, early '20. And we sewed oats into... And then even as I'm sewing the oats, I was just looking on the ground and going, " Wow, what's all that stuff coming up?" And it was in particular the Biserrula. It just bounced back. It was amazing. Yeah, went up with a fantastic crop of oats that we grazed really heavily and in particular that was the Biserrula and the yellow Santorini serradella just worked for us. And it was now different places, different things are going to work for different people in different soils and whatever. But on our place, that's just what's really standing out. When the other ones pretty much disappeared and you'll see bits and pieces of them. But those two in particular just really stood out.
Rohan Leach: Yeah. That's advice from Belinda of just sow a few different types in strips really worked out for you.
Paul Sinderberry: Yeah. Absolutely. Because yeah, I'm sure I hear lots of stories of arrowleaf clover working really well for other people in different places. And those other ones, they're obviously all out there for a reason, but just in our environment it just seems that this is what works for us. Yeah. And so I've gone on with that. Yeah, we've got a few paddocks of straight Biserrula. In and I'm now sewing Biserrula with lucerne. Wherever we under- sew lucerne I'm sewing Biserrula to hopefully, we'll still need to provide that gap filler because that's loosened things out. Instead of having weeds grow, it's good if we have something beneficial that grows. And also, hopefully the Biserrula then tames down the bloat risk of the lucerne.
Rohan Leach: Yep. The Biserrula has got something called condensed tannins in it. That while it makes it a little bit not as tasty to eat, not as palatable maybe as something like a sub- clover, yeah, that helps with the bloat.
Paul Sinderberry: Yeah. And I've had other people say, " Oh, now the Biserrula, it's not palatable or something." But I don't know from what I've seen, our cattle love it. There's places where they've got options, tree lines and there's plenty of grass around at the moment and stuff. And they still seem to hammer the Biserrula and we've seen, won't say none, but very, very little signs of bloat with it.
Rohan Leach: We've been driving around this morning and walked through some probably- knee high paddocks of Biserrula. it looks pretty magic here at this time of year. What are you planning to do with that stuff you've locked up?
Paul Sinderberry: We've been harvesting. Paddock I sewed in 2020, we harvested it now the last two years, got seed off. And then yeah, so I'm now using that to spread everywhere else. That's a really good economic gain and cost reduction. To be able to graze the paddocks during the year, then lock them up and get seed. And so that's makes it look pretty good for a pulse replacement.
Rohan Leach: Yep. And so how have they been yielding?
Paul Sinderberry: Probably on average, about 100 kgs a hectare. I think that's probably what I'm getting off. Yeah.
Rohan Leach: Yep. And are you using all of that seed? Are you selling any surplus seed?
Paul Sinderberry: Yeah, I've been selling, yeah, some seed just locally pretty much. I was spreading it around the west of the state. But yeah, just friends and other people, anyone who's inquiring. But no, we've spread a fair bit of seed around the place. Yeah.
Rohan Leach: Is it difficult to harvest?
Paul Sinderberry: Yes and no. It's difficult to get it in the header or in the box I should say. No, it's been pretty easy. I have to thank Mike O'Hare down at Beckham for giving me some pointers. No, we've just been going in in January, February hitting, going up with the hay rake, just raking it up into windrows. And then using pickup front, putting it into the header. That bit's all easy. The hardest part then is trying to get the seed out of the pod. And it's got a really thick leathery pod that doesn't really want to split open. Yeah, I mean that 100 kilos a hectare I've been getting, I reckon that it would've been three or 400 kilos in the paddock, of which I've just spread back around again. But yeah, we get to take a bit of it.
Rohan Leach: Yeah. Probably not the worst thing for the sustainability of the system to leave a bit behind. But yeah, I guess you're probably more thinking a bit short term by just getting as much as you can year to year.
Paul Sinderberry: Yeah. Oh yeah, no, it's an area we definitely want to improve. We're going to keep trying some different things. Yeah, it'd be really nice if we can get some more of that seed, for sure.
Rohan Leach: And you also said that you've just bought yourself a new seed cleaner. Do you mind talking about that?
Paul Sinderberry: No, it's pretty simple. You're going to put me on the spot because I've forgotten the name of it. It's just an air one. And just, yeah, it's got a fan, the seed flow drops through the fan. And it actually does a really good job of sizing seed. Because all the lighter stuff blows out the back and the heavier stuff drops straight away. Even with wheat and pulses and stuff like that, you get your heavy seed all up the front and all the light stuff gets blown out. It's been quite beneficial just as a help as a pre- cleaner and stuff. I can do all my wheat seeding and that with it.
Rohan Leach: Yeah, so what are your plans going forward to get your harvest a bit better? Maybe any tips on maybe desiccation or windrowing or anything like that?
Paul Sinderberry: Yeah. Hopefully, I'm going to try that this year is we're going to try and desiccate as soon as the crop's 90% ripe or something, we'll try and desiccate. And I believe maybe at that stage that the pods might be more brittle, got a stripper front coming. And I keep hearing stories where everyone says how wonderful stripper fronts are for picking up down crops. This one looks pretty much like a down crop to me. I'm hoping, yeah, if we run it that we might be able to help pluck the seeds off and these pods off. And if they're brittle enough, shatter and then we'll be able to get them in the box. Yeah.
Rohan Leach: Yeah. You've got experience with chickpeas and field peas in the past. How does this crop compare to them?
Paul Sinderberry: Yeah, well, I suppose it will just be, just like peas, when it matures, it all just falls down. It's all knee- high plus at the moment, but as it matures that'll go back down to our ankles. Yeah, pretty similar from that front. But then, yeah, with this pod situation, I mean it's not like you're worrying about seed cracking or anything like that. Not even really worried about shatter out the front either. It's more about actually trying to get the pods to break open. We're mucking out, doing some things, mucking around with concaves and that. Trying to close concaves up or put a wire mesh in there. You can try some stuff like that.
Rohan Leach: Mate, it sounds like I need to come out here in another six months and talk to you after harvest. It sounds like a constant learning experience with something new and exciting like this.
Paul Sinderberry: It is a big learning experience, which is really enjoyable. I mean that's a fantastic thing about farming is just we're all learning all the time and try new things, but I am a bit excited about this crop. I think it's showing a lot of potential to then become part of our cropping system. And the fact that you've only got to sell it once and once you've got it, it's there. I think going forward, that's going to be really good.
Rohan Leach: Yeah, it's interesting that you call it a crop and you talk about it as if it's a crop. We've gone straight into the detail there. But maybe we'll step back and have a look at a bit of the system of this Biserrula and hard- seeded legume. Just for the listeners, these hard- seeded legumes are much more persistent in the soil with a hard seed. And they can basically regenerate even after a cropping phase. Is that what you've seen in your experience, Paul?
Paul Sinderberry: Yeah, and the '17 to '20 was a typical example that we sewed a crop in '17. I wouldn't have even said we had a great seed set then, but it did have a seed set. And then we've had complete wipe out in '18 and '19 with no rain. And then for the crop to come back the way it did, it's obviously got a lot of hard seed. And so, there's no reason it won't continue in our cropping system. Even then this year, we sewed one paddock. Last year, in '21, we sewed a 240 hectare paddock just straight Biserrula. It grew pretty well. We probably sewed a little bit late. It definitely likes an early sewing once it starts, cools down.
Rohan Leach: What time of year is an early sewing for you?
Paul Sinderberry: Yeah, I think we want to be late March, early April. Which is good in that we're getting it in before the rest of the crop so it's not interfering. It's only about the same time as we sewing our grazing cereals. The growth out of it then, when it gets a start, it's so far ahead of then something that you so in late May after everything else. That crop grew well last year. We grazed it. We had 100 young bulls on it for a couple of months and they didn't even touch it really. And then it all set seed. Then yeah, this year I came in and said, " Okay, the plan is to sew wheat in late April." As I'm going into the paddock with a boom spray to take everything out or sow the wheat, it was just a carpet by Biserrula. It's pretty hard to keep going.
Rohan Leach: It's a bit of a sickening feeling when you think this is just going to be some magic feed in a couple of weeks. But I guess it's done its job already. It's built up all that nitrogen. The one thing with these is that the broadleaf weed options, probably weed control options aren't that great. Yeah, I think putting it into a wheat's a great option.
Paul Sinderberry: That's the downside. There's really very little in the way of broadleaf weed control options. Yeah, I think it's almost a case of, I mean you do the best you can to get as clean a paddock as you can before you sew it. And then probably pretty much got to close your eyes that first year to other weeds. But then come back in with a cereal the following year and then take all those weeds back out again and try to avoid any use of the SUs of that. Because like any of those medics and clovers and all that sort of stuff, but it's not going to like that, but if I can avoid using them, I think we're going to have a good fit in our cropping system.
Rohan Leach: Yeah. This year being particularly wet, have you started to notice that your nitrogen needs weren't as high in those paddocks that you had these hard- seeded legumes?
Paul Sinderberry: To be honest, I haven't this year. I mean we've only, that's the first paddock that we've really done. And I think, well, there was a lot of things went against that paddock this year. We did end up, actually, I had some leftover urea I was putting on some other paddocks. I did put 55 kilos of urea across that paddock. Yeah, we haven't seen a great benefit yet. And I think last year, I think the amount of fleabane and stuff we had last year, I mean last year was incredibly wet over the winter. And we sewed it too late and all that. There was a few things that weren't right and I think the weeds got away a bit. I think they probably would've sucked out a lot of the nitrogen benefit from last year. Yeah, we got still learning, still got to do a better job at that side of it. Yeah.
Rohan Leach: Yeah. Probably just one of my last questions on this topic. I know Belinda advises the dry sewing of the un- scarified seed. Have you thought about that or considered that?
Paul Sinderberry: Yeah, yeah, for sure. Because once again, the real benefit of that is going to be that early germination and it gets going faster. The inoculation is an issue. Or just not an issue but you have to use ALOSCA, the clay- based inoculant.
Rohan Leach: And which comes in a granule.
Paul Sinderberry: Yeah, it comes in like a granule. And it can be mixed with fertilizer. I haven't tried that yet. It's definitely something I'll think about. People are talking about even if you're sewing digit grass October or November or something in the spring, maybe your hard- seeded legumes could be so with ALOSCA at that time. And they'll probably, they should just sit over the summer and wait and then come up in the autumn. And things like that, there's yeah, we still are working at learning how to do that stuff better. And once again, your weed control paddock's going to have to be pretty clean because you lose any ability to take out any weeds in that situation. But if you've got your paddocks right, there's certainly I think a place for it. And all the evidence is that, oh, the plants grow so much better, you'll get so much more production that first year.
Rohan Leach: You just mentioned that you're growing it with premier digit. Is that those two are providing the synergies of the legume in the winter and the grass in the summer? Are you seeing some good benefits there?
Paul Sinderberry: Yep. That's the plan and that, yeah, that's going well. Yeah, once again, I'm selected paddocks where I don't really want to be cropping. We're using that once again as a bloat offset at times of the year and conditions where we think bloats a risk. It's nice to have some digit paddocks that we can put the cattle on instead. We've actually got all our heap of carving heifers on a paddock at the moment. As they calve, we've been walking them onto that. And so yeah, the digits pretty much dormant at the moment, but the Biserrula is growing really well. And yeah, that's later in the season the Biserrula is shut down and the digit will take off. Yeah, hopefully we're going to get nice synergy there. That's right.
Rohan Leach: Yeah. And hopefully it's fixed a heap of nitrogen and that premier digit really jumps away. When we were driving around before, we're talking about how good a season it's been for cattle and you are maybe moving away from cropping a little bit this year. How have you come to that decision?
Paul Sinderberry: Coming from the economic side of it, I've always done the gross margins. And the cropping, there's a higher gross margin on average than livestock up until recently. And so therefore, we've tried to concentrate on putting our best country into crop. And then, the rest of the country in and out of crop or straight cattle, whatever. We've split the farm up and we've got areas of continuous crop, we've got paddocks that have been 15 years continuous crop now. Some are coming out of crop and then some are just native pastures. But I think with the change in livestock values over the last few years, that dynamic's really changed. When I look at our gross margins now and I go, well, we can make just as much money out of cattle as we can from cropping with a quarter of the risk. And particularly the way input prices are at the moment, that's really highlighted that even further. But our risk, particularly out here where it's pretty... We are marginal cropping country. We've just had on our third good year now. But we can still look, go back, look at 20 years of yields and we're only at about 1. 6 tons to the hectare, the old eight bags or something. Our average is still only around that. I couldn't imagine growing an eight bag crop, amount we've spent on inputs. This is, once again, if we get that Biserrula in, sow it, it's established, come Autumn next year, if all our sub- soil moisture's disappeared and things are looking dodgy and the forecasts aren't good, then maybe some of our lesser paddocks we could just say, " Okay, let's just leave them out and just have it as a grazing paddock for the year." If all goes well, we might end up harvesting some seed, whatever. But the risk is so much reduced against a crop.
Rohan Leach: It just really makes that system really flexible.
Paul Sinderberry: That's it. I think it's again, going to give us a lot more flexibility. And because you've already sown it, it's there, it's waiting to go. It's just to choose whether you spray it out and sow a crop or whether you leave it and graze it.
Rohan Leach: Beauty. That sounds, oh, this farming business sounds pretty easy, Paul.
Paul Sinderberry: Well, I might make it easy.
Rohan Leach: Mate, we've talked a lot about the benefits. Have you noticed any downsides to the serradella or the Biserrula? I know some people have seen photo sensitivity in some stock, particularly sheep.
Paul Sinderberry: No, we haven't seen anything. We're running black cattle, so apparently that pretty much cancels that out.
Rohan Leach: Oh great. Yeah, no, I didn't know that. Yeah.
Paul Sinderberry: Yeah, yeah. I think cattle in particular are less sensitive than sheep. And running black cattle means there's no problem whatsoever. But even talking to people about with the sheep, the only time that they really have a problem is if you've got a very pure stand and there's nothing else to eat. And they're on it for long enough that it might become a problem. Once again, just through management you can move them on and off supply hay, supply other things. There's ways around it. If you are a total sheep operation, maybe you don't want to put Biserrula over the whole property. It's a bit like me not wanting to put lucerne over the whole property. You need to have options.
Rohan Leach: Yep. Mate, this has been a very technical episode and I've loved that. But for my final question, I like to go a bit broader and ask my guests, what do you think is the big issue in Australian ag at the moment?
Paul Sinderberry: Big one and a dangerous one, it's the political divide. And we're seeing it happen in other countries a lot more where political decisions that directly affect farming are being made. The banning of glyphosate or in Sri Lanka, the cutting back of fertilizer, they're wanting to go organic. And it's having huge ramifications because unfortunately, the people who are making these decisions don't have all the information and don't understand what the implications are. And not using science. And so yes, so that is a huge one, which I'd leave it to the powers to try to work that out, but it's a worry. And as our country becomes more and more acidified, that you've got more and more people who don't really understand what it is that they're dealing with.
Rohan Leach: A lot of people grew up with city cousins or whatever, but now that just doesn't seem to happen as much. Or people have moved to the cities and become more urbanized, as you said.
Paul Sinderberry: Yeah. But on the whole, I'm really positive about agriculture and I think we're in a great space at the moment. It's a really good place to be. There's great things happening everywhere, resolving now a lot of these problems. Yeah, I mean it seems that we're going to have to play our part in going forward. I mean, we could say one big issue is the whole electrification of everything we do because I don't know where we're going to get all our electricians from to fix all this stuff that we're playing with. But it's so exciting some of the things that are coming through. And the tools that we've got to play with now and help us do our job. And what we can record and measure and crops, from NDVIs to the protein and moisture meters and everything on our headers. And it's just giving us so much information and ways that we can improve. In general, I mean I think meat's going really well and I'm really glad to hear that there's a bit of question marks are starting to show up in the whole systems. Because I think meat's go really well and meat's always going to have a place. And livestock have a place in our production systems. There's never any one simple thing. And I just wish people would realize that sometimes that just because something works really well in one area doesn't make it the right thing for somewhere else. And to say we must ban this or that or anything else for everywhere is just ridiculous.
Rohan Leach: I think that's a really positive aspect and cracking way to finish the podcast. Paul, thanks so much for coming on today's episode.
Paul Sinderberry: Thanks so much, Rowan. It's been fun.
Neroli Brennan: Thanks for listening. This podcast was brought to you by Central West Local Land Services. Local Land Services delivers advice and support to farmers, landholders and the community across New South Wales. To learn more, you can find us online by searching for Central West Local Land Services. If you'd like more information about the topics we discussed today, as well as links to relevant articles, fact sheets, events, and other helpful resources, we've added those into the show notes for this episode. You can find them by tapping or swiping over the cover art in your podcast player now. Hey, and while you're there, please leave us a five star review. It really helps other farmers find the show. I'm your host, Neroli Brennan, and I'll chat to you next time.