Neroli Brennan: This is Seeds for Success, a show where we have a good yarn about ag life with producers who are having a go. On the show, you'll hear from farmers in New South Wales who are out there battling the elements, making tough calls and getting the job done. You'll get a laugh out of some of their stories, and also pick up some know- how along the way. I'm your host, Neroli Brennan. Today, we are sitting down with Trent Johnstone from Trojan Shorthorns. Trent runs a livestock trading enterprise, along with his Shorthorn bull breeding business at Forbes and Lyndhurst. To facilitate his trading business, Trent has become a bit of an expert at doing the numbers on leasing country and adjesting livestock as well. In this episode, you'll hear Trent share some of his key principles for trading livestock, as well as some of his most memorable wins and losses in the trading game. You'll also learn how he manages livestock on as many as 13 different properties across the state, in an effort to mitigate against the drought. Local Land Services Mixed Farming Advisor, Rohan Leach met up with Trent on the top of Memorial Hill in Parks after Trent ran into a spot of trouble in the morning with a B Double loaded full of stock.
Rohan Leach: Today, I'm here on top of Memorial Hill in Parks with Trent Johnston, so welcome to the Seeds for Success podcast, Trent.
Trent Johnstone: Thank you. Thank you very much for inviting me and giving me the opportunity.
Rohan Leach: Bit of a mad dash this morning. Do you mind telling the listeners, mate, why we've had to meet here?
Trent Johnstone: Well, we were meant to meet in Dubbo and I managed to get a B Double bog this morning, so that was a slight hold up, and I had some cows that I wanted to get rid of and I wasn't going to let them back out of the yard, once I had them in there so I said, " We might just have to make it a different spot," so here we are on top of the hill, which is quite good, actually.
Rohan Leach: Yeah. It's not a bad view, is it?
Trent Johnstone: No, it's perfect.
Rohan Leach: Mate, tell me in about your farming operation.
Trent Johnstone: The farming operation that we run, based home is at Lyndhurst, between Blayney and Cowra. We've got other country, South of Forbes. At Lyndhurst, we've got 2000 acres there. At Lyndhurst, it's all pasture- improved country, fertilized country, heavily fertilized every year sort of thing, and then our Lyndhurst country is ... Forbes country, sorry, it's 24 Ks South of Forbes there, we've got another 2000 acres there and then I've got some other lease country around here, there, and everywhere, and it keeps me in the car a bit, but it's all good.
Rohan Leach: What enterprises do you run?
Trent Johnstone: We've got a stud cattle operation, stud Shorthorns doing about 250 stud cows now every year, and then producing bulls that go all around the East Coast of Australia pretty much and down into South Australia, and so we've got to spread them where our bulls go every year, and then also at Lyndhurst is our lamb feeding operation that we put about 10, 000 lambs through there every year on a good year. Last year was back a little bit, but yeah, predominantly about 10,000 lambs every year go through there, and then our Forbes country, it's grazing, trading opportunistic stuff there that we do. Seems to work pretty well with a bit of forage crops. We don't crop necessarily. I leave that to the other fellows and I just know how to fatten cattle and sheep, and I just do it that way, so I found that that works probably pretty well for us.
Rohan Leach: The first interaction I had with you as an agronomist, your priority was definitely on the livestock side of things, wasn't it?
Trent Johnstone: Definitely that, and I like growing forage crops and we try a few different things and fortunate enough, we put a (Reiziq) cropping out there at Forbes a couple of weeks ago now, and it's up and out of the ground and certainly fine, but we've had pretty good conditions for that too, so looking forward to getting some lambs on that and really making it hum.
Rohan Leach: What a season we're having at the moment. What's your primary enterprise, would you say, or your majority of your focus?
Trent Johnstone: Probably a 50/50 split, to be perfectly honest. It just depends on the time of the year too. We're just about to ramp into this lamb job now. I've got a heap of lambs that are out on adjestment at the moment, but they're all coming back and they'll go on feed. That lamb job goes from end November through till May, I suppose you'd say. Just when it starts to get a bit too wet in the feet, we boot them out, and I go looking for some adjestment, some cropping country, which I've over the last few years, I've been quite fortunate to be able to find some cropping country to be able to throw some lambs out onto and slow some crops up for some fellows. Yeah, it also gets them out of feed lot for me when it starts to get a little bit too wet and they don't do the weight gains. They're the ones, it starts to get a bit like that, so they sulk a bit, so that time of the year, and then there's a bit of a bit of a crossover there. Obviously at the moment, we've just been doing a big fixed time AI program with our stud cattle, so that takes up a bit of time, so which was all pretty good as a crossover period there and then we get into March next year and we start our bull selling season, and that carries on from March through to September with all the different sales we go to. I guess to answer your question, it's probably a 50/ 50 split and try and make it work best we can and grab what opportunities come past if we can get something and go from there.
Rohan Leach: How has your seed stock enterprise ... It sounds like that compliments the trading enterprise and vice versa?
Trent Johnstone: Yeah, definitely. It gives us cash flow, and that's the hardest thing on farms is cash flow, and with the seed stock thing, we sell bulls, March and then June and then a whole lot in July, and then we take a load of bulls up to Monto in Queensland. We've been taking them up there every September. It just helps and sure, we do the miles. Like the sale in March, that's down at Naracoorte in South Australia, we take a load of bulls down there, but at does help with the cash flow, the seed stock side of things, and it is something I'm passionate about, I suppose, is the seed stock. I've had the opportunity to judge all around Australia, really, judge cattle at Royal shows and stuff which I do enjoy, so the seed stock thing is a major part and it helps, and it's something, if you enjoy it, it's not that hard of work really, I guess.
Rohan Leach: Mate, just as a little aside, earlier in the month, when we were trying to book this interview in, you mentioned another podcast that gave you a good idea with a trainee. Would you mind telling that story?
Trent Johnstone: Yeah, I was just driving along to one of the places where we had some stock and I was listening to a podcast which I do sometimes just to pass the time, because the radio gets a bit boring. They were interviewing someone. I think it was in Western Australia, actually and they were saying about how their staff and stuff like that and at the moment ... Well, back then, we only had ... It was Dad and I run the farms, and we had a bit of casual labor, and I've got a bloke at our Forbes place that looks after it as well, but was starting to get a bit too much and Dad's getting a bit older and stuff too, so I thought ... I started to listen to this podcast and they said they've put on a trainee and the government subsidies and all that sort of stuff, and it got me thinking, and then I finished listening to that and we made a few inquiries as to about a trainee. Anyway, so now we've got a trainee working for us now, which he's only been there three weeks now, full time with us. Fresh out of school, Year 10 kid, got plenty of go in him and he wanted to stay in the agriculture thing and I didn't want to lose him to somewhere else, and I thought, " Well, if we can look after him and keep him in the agriculture side of things, and with some government subsidies and help that they give, was a no-brainer, really."
Rohan Leach: You were saying it's a pretty cheap labor unit.
Trent Johnstone: Yeah. Very cheap labor unit by the time the government puts their hand in their pocket and gives us their bit, and then it certainly, the hourly rate, the labor unit per hour, it's good and you get to train someone, and in the years to come, it's a two- year traineeship he'll do with us and then after that, hopefully we'll have him full time. You get to train them how you want to, yeah, which is good and as long as they're willing to have a go, which he is, so it's a good thing, I think.
Rohan Leach: Yeah. You said it was a bit of a ... Your style is a sink or swim. You chucked him in the yards for a few days in a row and tested his metal from there.
Trent Johnstone: Well, this is the best way to test him. We're doing a bit of contract landmarking and we threw him in the catching pen and think, we started at seven in the morning, half past seven sort of thing, and then we finished at one, but he caught 750 lambs all by himself as a 16- year- old kid. I thought, " This kid's got a bit of go in him." I'll see how he go and give him a few hard ones, and he's going all right so far, so we'll see. But yeah, sink or swim sometimes. That's probably the best way to put it, I reckon.
Rohan Leach: Just to delve a little deeper in the trading side of your business, where's the value in the livestock market this week?
Trent Johnstone: That's a good one. It changes. As we all know, it changes day to day. Nearly minute to minute at the moment, but I've been buying a few lambs out of the West. My agents, they've been buying them for me and been shipping them over, and there seems to be value in that and we'll be able to value add to them, and some of them lambs locked in on a forward contract for January, February. That takes some of the risk work out of it, as long as they put on the weight, they're doing the numbers on, but as long as they're well bred too, so that takes some of the risk work out of it. Look, and I still think there's still value in females. There's definitely value in females with this herd rebuilding thing, whether it be-
Rohan Leach: With cattle?
Trent Johnstone: Cattle and sheep. Yeah. Might get back in the market to buy a few more cows shortly or some heifers just to join. I've got a bull sitting around at our fold block doing nothing at the moment, so throw something in with them. It's getting a little bit late in the season, but we might just be able to do something there and go there, but yeah, I've got a lot of trade cattle up there and they're all females now. I did have steers and then I got out of them and into females, so joining all of them up. I think just at the moment, that's where the opportunities are, but everyone's different too, I guess. Depends on your situation and what your farming practices are, I suppose.
Rohan Leach: Have you got any principles or fundamental things that help you reveal these good buys?
Trent Johnstone: Calculator. It's about a calculator, and you've got to surround yourself with some good people too, I believe. If you can get a good agent that's willing to work, which I'm fortunate enough to have, or works in conjunction with us and people are willing to actually have a go and yeah, throw caution to the wind a little bit, I suppose, and also, you've got to obviously do your numbers and make sure that when you're buying in big double loads of lambs at a time, that got an out there somewhere and also monitor their progress. That's a big thing too. Don't be afraid to sit down with a pen and paper and do the numbers first, and if you think it's going to stack up.
Rohan Leach: That's it, so it's, you've really got to work on it.
Trent Johnstone: Yeah, for sure. Yeah, you've got to do the numbers. Even with steers now ... Well, not so much for me now, but through the winter, I had steers up at Gunnedah on crop. When they're putting on, even if they're only doing a kilo a day, which some of the poorer performing ones are only doing kilo a day on crop, but if they're still doing a kilo a day, at five bucks a kilo, or when I sold them, they were $5. 90 a kilo, you're still making good money. It's pretty good. If you're say, at $ 6 a kilo at seven days a week, six sevens or 42, you're making 42 bucks a week. That's pretty good charf I reckon, but you just got to do your numbers and prepare to get burnt sometimes. I've been burnt. Don't worry about that. They stick in the memory bank, the ones where you get burnt and you just got to move on from them, but you can't dwell on them, because they'll bring you ... Make you crazy in the head or something.
Rohan Leach: That's probably a good segue. What's probably one of your better wins?
Trent Johnstone: I can give you a couple of my losses. I had some lambs I got from up North. It was only 220 of them, I reckon from memory, something like that, that came down. Really good lambs too, they were, and it was a pretty hot day and I had them in a pen and I felt a bit sorry. We just had them shorn and I started to feel a bit sorry for them. I thought, " I'll just let them out of the pen, and led them up a lane way and get a bit more shade." They've got shade in their pens already, but I just thought they can get a bit more and get under some trees, and there was a bit of water there. They can lay around and just ease them into it. I wish I didn't now, because I lost 62 that day, I remember out of that mob. I'm was pretty sure it was 220, so I lost 62 of them to nitrate poisoning. Ended up getting the (OLS) fed out and we cut them up, and they got into a heap of mint weed, where the mint weed grows. It was a bit of a bare lane way and heap of green mint weed comes through and smells lovely. But yeah, that smell of the dead sheep overtook that after a while. That's some of the losses, but look, where there's losses, there's wins too, don't worry. One that sticks your mind, I remember buying some lambs. They were composites. Anyway, I went through and drafted ... I mixed sexes. I went through and drafted the ewes out, give them four weeks on feed and spun them around. They looked pretty good. They come back looking pretty neat and put them on the box, and yeah, that was a nice little windfall in them, 80 bucks or something in for a week, which doesn't happen all that often. They made up for the losses beforehand. You've got to think outside the square a little bit too sometimes, doing stuff like that, like if you buy mixed sexes and you can wheel some out and do something a bit different, that's not a bad thing.
Rohan Leach: You mentioned before, livestock prices have been pretty eye watering since the drought broke in 2020. Pull out your crystal ball, and what are prices going to do mate, in the next six months?
Trent Johnstone: I believe the cattle job in the next six months, Queensland going to drive the day. They'll come in swinging a pretty big bat, I reckon. Now they're getting a bit of rain, Queensland will drive that cattle job. I got little bit of an insight when I take bulls up there, and there's no cattle around up there and them fellows, a lot of that's real proper cattle country and they'll come in swinging a big bat for females and that herd rebuilding thing. That's probably one of the major things that's probably going to happen there, looking into a crystal ball. I think livestock in general for the next few years are going to be quite good, just with the whole herd rebuilding. Numbers are down, plenty of confidence, plenty of feed, and it'll still keep pretty solid, and good quality animals always sell too. If you can chase that quality or breed that better quality, or spend that little bit extra more on your bull that you buy and stuff like that, that definitely changes things too. We bought some bulls over the years and kept a bit of a track of what they actually do for you and stuff. I remember, the very first time we'd done it, we paid $10, 000 for a bull back then.
Rohan Leach: Which was big money back then.
Trent Johnstone: That was massive money back then. I still remember the day we bought him. I kept a bit of a track of it just to see what it actually done, and yeah, that bull made a hell of a difference within our herd. We sold $ 240,000 worth of progeny out of that bull, out of a $10, 000 purchase and ever since then, I've believe that they're a pretty cheap article to buy if you keep track of them and follow it through. We don't mind spending a bit of money, if they're the right article.
Rohan Leach: That return on investment there's not a bad one.
Trent Johnstone: That was a good return on investment, that one, but it's like an anything. You get some that aren't (inaudible) sometimes, but I think, yeah, quality. Crystal ball, quality's always going to pay, females are where it's going to be at for the next little bit. It sounds like a lot of money, going and spending three and a half thousand on a cow and calf unit at the moment or something like that, but you break it down to she's a 600 kilo cow. Around that weight, it's not all that much money. When you break it down, there's a weaner there and you can her back in calf again. Things like that, that's where I'm going to be looking at, I suppose, in the next six months or whatever.
Rohan Leach: Mate, have you got any trading tips for producers that are looking to step into trading?
Trent Johnstone: Quality. If you can just buy quality. I've just loaded the B Double of not such good quality and that reiterated that today. They were cheap at the time, but they are cheap for a reason. Well, I can give you a prime example. I bought some females at the exact same time, some good, well- bred heifers, carved them down. We bought these cattle in February this year. Yeah, so there was some cattle out of the North that we bought that were cheap, and then I went to Victoria and bought some females out of their well- bred females. Carved them down in March and sold them in April. Had them for 60 days and I made $1, 300 a unit clear profit on them, and I've had these other Northern cattle from February till ... What is it now? The start of December, and obviously, they're not sold yet, but they'll be sold tomorrow, but in that same sort of period, I'm probably only going to make a $1, 000, and that's with weaning a calf, often putting them back in calf, which is still nothing to be sneezed at. A $1, 000 is still a $1, 000, but time period and the amount of feed they can consume and stuff like that, yeah, I'll change my approach a little bit there, and it's been the same too with feeding lambs. I've had some disaster stories. Probably just animals that are not quite bred well enough, or people maybe use their own rams and things like that. A bit of a list of some that I don't worry about touching anymore and others that I'll jump at them at a heartbeat. I've had some very good composite lambs that have gone pretty well. I remember weighing them last year and I thought, " There's something wrong with the scales." Some of them were doing 500 grams a day at their peak. They were just humming, but it all comes back to quality, I believe.
Rohan Leach: When I first purchased my first starter mob, they were pretty wild and pretty wooly, and that's definitely the first tip that my agent and others have told me is to get into more quality.
Trent Johnstone: As long as there's still twist in them, you can do it, but if things turn sour and you got to (inaudible) and offload them, sometimes that twist isn't there.
Rohan Leach: You've really mentioned a lot about leasing and adjestment, and you've got stock over a few different places. My dad who's quite good mates with you, loves telling me how you've got cattle spread from Condo, to sheep up at Monto or Lyndhurst and in Lithgow. How do you manage having stock spread over so much of the state?
Trent Johnstone: Yeah. You spent a fair bit of time in a vehicle, which is all good too, but I just like spreading the geographical risk. I'm a big believer in that. I started it a little while ago. A few years ago, in the drought actually, I started spreading a few around and that geographical risk or where someplace will get a rain and the other one misses out, there's a big difference there. But yeah, no, you do a lot of time in a motor vehicle. I bought a new car this year, back in March or something, and now it's got 50 odd thousand Ks on it in six months or whatever, but yeah, look, it's easy enough to manage, if you partner yourself up with some other good farmers that are happy to run an eye over them and get on a phone and give you a call, if there's something wrong and that. At the moment, I've got the Gunnedah block, so there's 1, 300 acres at Gunnedah, and then I got some sheep out at Parks. They're out there on adjestment, and then I've obviously got our own one at Forbes, and then I had some cattle down at Wonga, but just sold them, and then yeah, got some other country at Lithgow as well as along with our Lyndhurst country. Yeah, I've got a bit of a spread on them at the moment, but there was one stage there last year, I remember my wife saying to me, " You're mad." We had stock on 13 different places or something, but if you can make the numbers stack up, and grass is cheap and transport's cheap. If you're doing a few numbers, it all works out in the wash, so you've got to be prepared to get a slap across the wrist every now and then or something like that. But no, I think it works and it works for quite well, and actually, there's some at Dubbo too. I've got some lambs at Dubbo, but everything will be making its way back shortly and getting locked up and fed and whatever else, but I do like having them in different areas and keeps you thinking too. It keeps the brain ticking and it's good, and you learn a lot. I've learned a lot by doing that, just different areas and how they work, and what's the better times of the year, and remember, I sent some lambs out to Condo. Not this winter, the one just before and they're flying. I had 1, 500 lambs out there on adjestment, just to slow those crop up and they absolutely flew, and that's bit warmer country too. If you can move it around to suit the climate a little bit, it's a good thing, I think, as long as you're happy to get out and about and chase it a bit, I suppose.
Rohan Leach: Probably, the drought and spreading your risk is really what's driven you, for sure.
Trent Johnstone: Yep. For sure. Without a doubt. I remember, I sent cattle down to Lithgow for the winter, and I mean, I was born down there and left there a fair while ago now, but I remember the winters being cold down there and I thought, " I'm mad probably, sending cattle down there," but they're running around down there in the hills, and they can actually get up in the hills and they get half protected, and now that's an ongoing thing. Every March, I'll wean my calves and move the cows down there, and they spend the winter down there and bring them back in August, and they come back fat as fools and you're just ... I can't fathom it, but they get up them gullies and they get out of the weather, and it's not too bad. It's been different ways to learn things. I learned a bit, like that sort of stuff when I went over to Canada a couple of years ago. We went to a university. They were doing some studies there, and they were trying to wind down the cows, like how much they could feed them during winter. I remember, so they had some 500 kilo cows and they were in snow up to their bellies, and they wound them down to 10 kilos a day and they held their condition, and that was ... Things like that impressed me, and I learn a bit and thought, " Well, you can make them tough it out if you have to, over the winter, especially dry cows."
Rohan Leach: It's about that livestock class, and suiting livestock class to feed source?
Trent Johnstone: For sure. Yeah, without a doubt. Yep. Now, if you want them weaners, I tend to get them on a crop and not afraid to feed the crop too. Fertilizer prices are quite dear at the moment, but in all seriousness, they're still reasonable when you're getting $6 a kilo for steers and $9 dressed for lambs or something like that. It's still quite ... You rear at whatever price it is now. I know, before this next lot of rain comes or something, the next forecast, decent rain at Forbes, I'll hit this (inaudible) with a heap of urea and not be afraid to have a crack at it.
Rohan Leach: Yeah. We're at a lucky time with high costs of inputs, but it's also high commodity prices all around, isn't it?
Trent Johnstone: Yeah, exactly right. Yeah. It is a very good time to be in the agricultural game, I suppose, but I guess, we're making up for some times a few years ago where it was all just going out the door and not coming back in, so it's a nice business to be in for just at the moment.
Rohan Leach: What are some of the advantages or/and disadvantages of leasing over owning the country or leasing adjestant?
Trent Johnstone: Leasing is good. You're locked in there for a certain period of time. When everything's going in your favor, that's fine. It gets a bit dry, it might not be as enjoyable, but I guess with leasing, we're still building up some of our foothold, I suppose, with country and probably want to go again shortly. In next couple of years, I might be able to do something again and expand again, but with leasing, I guess it's just the cheaper alternative at the moment. If you're paying, whatever the figure may be on some lease country compared to an interest rate, if you can correlate those two and build a bit of equity along the way, I think it's definitely the cheaper way to go, leasing at the moment. Look, there's a lot of farmers that I've found that don't want to sell their farm necessarily. They're happy just to sit there. I had one at Boggabri last year, happy just to sit there and potter around and treat my animals like they are his own, and they give him a purpose, but they don't want to let it go, but they're happy to let someone else come in there and utilize it and do the job on it. But there's plenty of older fellows that are looking to do that and don't want to actually leave, but there's opportunities there to maybe lease a bit of country off them. Adjesting is good. It's good until you have to get off, I suppose. It's been very fruitful for us over the time, but it's still, as long as you're putting kilos on it, adjesting's the go as well, so they've both got their advantages. Disadvantages are sometimes you get boxed into a corner and you got to get them off and you think, " Where the hell am I going to go now?" You start getting on the phone and ringing up, and see where you can find another little pocket or you ring up and order another simulative pellets or whatever the feed lot, and you just yeah, tighten them up in there a bit and go from there.
Rohan Leach: Yeah. I think, I remember a pretty frantic phone call from you six months ago or so when you-
Trent Johnstone: Yeah, there was a-
Rohan Leach: "Yeah mate, just got this ... A fair bit of urgency on this one, so appreciate it if you give me a call back."
Trent Johnstone: Yes. Yeah. There's been a few of them phone calls that, it's not what you know. A lot of the time, I don't think there's ever been a truer word said, as far as that goes, if you can branch out and call on some other people that might just know of someone, it's a good thing. In agriculture, it's a pretty tight- knit community that they're always willing to help out another fellow, and if I remember that frantic call, they were on their way and we didn't really have anywhere to put them. But anyway, we found a spot and that's been good. We made a really good friend out of that too. We didn't know this bloke from a bar of soap and then we've become quite good mates and he's a good fellow. Yes. What you can do out of a situation sometimes is quite good.
Rohan Leach: With freighting and logistics and that stuff, have you got any tips there?
Trent Johnstone: It's always nice to get back-load, like if you can get them on a back- load going somewhere, but that doesn't happen very often. I guess, there's no real tips. You just get someone that's reliable. I use a couple of a bigger freight companies that are very reliable, and then I've also got a neighbor that I use quite often, and it works pretty good when everyone can make something happen when you need to. We've got our own truck as well, and you can juggle a few things around where you need to, I suppose. To answer your question, I don't really have any tips. You've just got to get on the phone and ring them up and it's all on a kilometer rate and I think it's fair and reasonable, and I take my hat off to some of them drivers that sit there and I had one today that he's done a fair few miles already today, but they love it, which is good.
Rohan Leach: We're just about to wrap up. You've gotten through my questions very concisely and neatly, mate, but what I like to ask a lot of the guys that I interview is, what do you see as the big issues in Australian agriculture at the moment?
Trent Johnstone: Some of the main issues I see at the moment is ... Well, I can speak from experience there on one of them. I had some sheep booked in to go to abattoir down South in Victoria, and then the day before that I meant to go, the abattoir got shut due to COVID or whatever else. They just shut it and I had sheep in the yard and things like that. I mean, things like that going forward are probably obviously going to be a bit of an issue, but I mean, as far as agriculture in general, I think we're in a very good position, as far as exporting all around the world and stuff like that, and it's pretty highly sought after, the Australian quality that we produce here. Off the top of my head, I can't really think of anything that's really a concern to me. The next drought's not that far around the corner, obviously, but we've all learned from the last one. I know, I've learned a lot of different ways to manage it and feeding stock and doing things a lot different that way. It always, it's etched in the back of mind that you've got to remember what to do from the last one, and there were some testing times there. Don't worry, and I mean, we're in a pretty safe area too where we are usually, but still test you. I remember calling mates out West and seeing what they're doing and getting a few of their ideas, and it was very good and I got through it, but yes, that's probably one concern is the next drought is not that far away. We can't have good seasons like we've had twos in the row and I've never seen a candle burn at both ends yet. I think that's probably one of the things going forward, we're going to have to deal with again, surely.
Rohan Leach: Yeah. That's probably one of the big learnings that a lot of people got out of this last drought is they've picked up a lot on drought feeding and confinement feeding and that sort of thing. What particularly have you learned there?
Trent Johnstone: I learned that cows, you can feed them pretty ruthless, and having clients up in Queensland, I went and visited some clients there in September and it's pretty ordinary up there at the moment, or it was for them. Some of them guys are up feeding 30% urea. He said, "But you just don't let them go without. Make sure you keep it up to them." But I was doing a lot of straw and urea for dry cows in the drought. Don't be afraid to wean them early. They're tough little buggers. They can handle it. As long as you keep the protein up to them and stuff, cows are pretty ruthless. Yeah, I remember thinking, " I'm going to kill these things." But yeah, no, they just kept going and they'd done quite well on it, but I think when you feed a lot of urea, you've got some fertility issues sometimes, but as long as you can manage that along the way, it's good, and a lot of minerals too. I'm a big believer in minerals, lot of dry licks and stuff. I do that on induction into the ... Feeding lambs too, they get a mineral dry lick and also some liquid minerals in their troughs, and the minerals there play a big part in nutrition, I reckon.
Rohan Leach: More in that high rainfall zone at Lyndhurst there, or just everywhere?
Trent Johnstone: I think everywhere, and the animals, they're pretty smart. They work out what they need and what they don't need. But remember in the drought like at Forbes here in '19, I was feeding just some straw and some high urea content and some dry lick and stuff like that and (inaudible) through the dry lick, but then they were also eating leaves off trees and just keeping them going. I've done a lot of calculations as to what we were feeding a lot of ewes out there at the time as well, and I was pretty ruthless on them. One day they were getting fed pellets and then the next day they were just getting straw, and it worked and we got some quite good conception rates by doing that. We had them confined in a pen and they got 1. 2 kilos. I remember, 1.2 kilos of pellets, we were giving them. That was on one day and the next day they were getting straw, and then they'd go back to another day, 1.2 kilos of pellets, and the next day they got some good canola hay and I wound our ration costs right back down. I think from memory, I had them, I think it was $ 3 30 a week, I was feeding these ewes and get them back in lamb. You can wind it down and some learning was done there and it was good, and it wasn't at the expense of fertility either, so just with giving them minerals and that as well, along the way.
Rohan Leach: Probably, a final point is just that you've really got to do your numbers, whether it's from trading or feeding or whatever.
Trent Johnstone: Yeah. Without a doubt, do your numbers. Don't be afraid to get a slap across the wrist every now and then. Just bounce back and learn from your mistakes. Yeah, don't be afraid to ask people as well. That's what I've found out. Get on the phone, and my wife's always up at me that I'm always on the phone or my phone's always ringing or something like that. She's come to terms with it now and understands that it's always ringing and stuff like that, but it was a bit of a shock for her at the start, people ringing all the time and now she knows that, obviously that telephone's probably a important part of the business too and you can make a lot of decisions off a couple of phone calls here and there and calling in and mate, every now and then to give you some advice or someone that might have done it, that you can learn something off.
Rohan Leach: Mate, thanks for your time today, Trent. It's been a really good chat and thanks for being on the Seeds for Success podcast.
Trent Johnstone: I think it's a great thing and people can really get something out of it, and learn from other people's mistakes or errors or something like that. Thanks for having me. It's been good. Enjoyed it.
Neroli Brennan: Thanks for listening. This podcast was brought to you by Central West Local Land Services. Local Land Services delivers advice and support to farmers, landholders and the community cross New south Wales. To learn more, you can find us online by searching for Central West Local Land Services. If you'd like more information about the topics we discussed today, as well as links to relevant articles, fact sheets, events, and other helpful resources, we've added those into the show notes for this episode. You can find them by tapping or swiping over the cover art in your podcast player now. Hey, and while you're there, please leave us a five star review. It really helps other farmers find the show. I'm your host, Neroli Brennan, and I'll chat to you next time.