Neroli Brennan: This is Seeds for Success, a show where we have a good yarn about ag life, with producers who are having a go. On this show, you'll hear from farmers in New South Wales who are out there battling the elements, making tough calls, and getting the job done. You'll get a laugh out of some of their stories and also pick up some knowhow along the way. I'm your host, Neroli Brennan. In this week's episode, we're chatting with Brad and Beck Hurley. Brad and Beck own and run 22, 000 acres across their properties, Eremeran and Kalabra, a hundred kilometers northwest of Condobolin. In this episode, Brad and Beck explain how living through the millennium drought help them to shift their focus and their approach to farming in their low rainfall zone. They've moved away from their more traditional cropping and Merino sheep to beef cattle, utilizing Speckle Park bulls, running White Dorpers, as well as embracing the benefits of miniature donkeys to protect the lambing mob and keep foxes and pigs at bay. They also share how the construction of exclusion fencing in a collaboration with their neighbors has benefited their farm business. You'll also hear this energetic and fun- loving couple make community a big part of their life with weekend sport a priority in their weekly schedule. And if they're not busy enough on farm, Brad's also expanded into a business repurposing old wares such as silver spoons into cherished pieces of jewelry for family and friends. Local Land Services Natural Resources Officer Jasmine Wells sat down with Beck and Brad at the family table to share some delicious baked goods and this great chat.
Jasmine Wells: I'm out at Kalabra, 100 Ks northwest of Condo, so the first time I came out I thought I was headed to some pretty rough goat country, but it's beautiful out here, guys. Thank you so much for having me.
Beck Hurley: Oh, we love having you come and visit. We have a lot of people come and visit.
Jasmine Wells: And I can see why.
Brad Hurley: Yeah.
Jasmine Wells: So Brad and Beck own two properties, Eremeran.
Brad Hurley: Yes, well done.
Jasmine Wells: And Kalabra. And so Eremeran is a village in itself really, or was?
Beck Hurley: Yes. No, it's an amazing spot and I wish we could do something with it. It was settled in 1863 and changed hands a few times with wars and what have you, but majority of the time it was run by Goldsborough Mort. The homestead's still standing and a stone cottage and the general store post office is in pretty good nick. Shearing huts...
Brad Hurley: Just to 80- odd stand wool shed. Just to imagine how many people were running around there at shearing time. I can't imagine it because you go over there now and there's nobody. Call it progress, but there were hundreds of people on this property a hundred years ago, now there's two of us.
Jasmine Wells: And how big are the properties?
Beck Hurley: Eremeran originally was 400,000 acres.
Jasmine Wells: Yeah. Wow. And what have you got there now?
Beck Hurley: That holding is 6,000, the house block.
Brad Hurley: They split it up in the seventies and dad tended for it and we won the house block. And then we bought the paddock in between when the neighbors sold up a few years later. So that joined us up to Kalabra. So now it's all one.
Beck Hurley: It's an L- shape.
Brad Hurley: Yeah.
Jasmine Wells: And how big is this place here?
Brad Hurley: All up now, it's 22,000 acres.
Jasmine Wells: Yeah. And it's just the two of you here running all of that?
Beck Hurley: Yes, it's just the two of us. I don't know what the kids will end up doing, but hopefully we'll be able to bat on for a while until they decide what they want to do.
Brad Hurley: But we've tailored things so that the two of us can run the place.
Jasmine Wells: You both talked about, it did seem very much boom and bust once upon a time and you had a bit of an epiphany and a change of the way you do things like...
Beck Hurley: Millennium drought.
Jasmine Wells: ... what caused the change, probably?
Brad Hurley: Yeah, well I've been here 40 odd years since I left boarding school now, and I've seen things come and go. You tend to learn from your mistakes, but I think we always used to try and run maximum stock and then if it doesn't rain for six months, all of a sudden you're well and truly into a drought and then you're feeding and then it rains again and it was a boom or bust cycle that we're just trying to eliminate that by getting our stocking rates right, and trying to be a bit conservative. There were a lot of years where you could make more money, but you know what's around the corner so you stick to your conservative rates and see what happens.
Jasmine Wells: So you were wheat, sheep?
Brad Hurley: Yes. Well, everyone was.
Beck Hurley: Yeah, that's changed a lot.
Brad Hurley: Fifties, sixties, seventies, that's all there was. It was wheat and sheep and-
Beck Hurley: Your dad's always had cattle.
Brad Hurley: Dad loved cattle. There was no cattle in the district, really, back in the fifties and sixties. My dad got into cattle in the fifties and I'm glad he did, but it was mainly wheat and sheep.
Beck Hurley: So that line of cattle is still going.
Brad Hurley: Oh, wow.
Beck Hurley: Yeah, it's the same line.
Brad Hurley: Sheep are also boom or bust with your wool prices, et cetera. Back in the fifties, the wool boom, a lot of damage was done to this country from everybody running maximum sheep. So they flogged the country out because of the wool boom. They wanted to run as many as possible, but they flogged the country out and that's when a lot of woody weeds took over. It didn't have the competition from grass, basically.
Beck Hurley: And there were rabbits, as well.
Brad Hurley: When they had the big wet and then a lot of woody weeds took over. And I think even Cobar was open grazing country before that time.
Jasmine Wells: And even now, you guys are still battling woody weeds, that's one of your biggest concerns.
Brad Hurley: Yes. Every time we get a couple of wet years, the woody weeds shoot up, which is the rabbits used to chew the top off them back in the day. They used to help with the woody weeds, but now they're gone.
Beck Hurley: There's no more rabbits.
Brad Hurley: No, I'm glad they're gone.
Beck Hurley: It's unreal.
Brad Hurley: Back to the wheat and sheep. It was in the late nineties, whether it was boom or bust, something had to give, something had to change. So sort of thought, why are we growing wheat and running sheep? And it was because dad did. I think a lot of sons come home and they do what dad did because dad probably doesn't let them change. Yeah, my father died when I was 21, so I sort of had to learn a lot, or Beck and I had to learn a lot as we went along. But I think the not growing wheat and getting rid of Merinos were two of the greatest things we ever did. I think we're just a bit far northwest of anywhere to grow wheat.
Beck Hurley: And to be fair, we don't like mechanics, like doing mechanical things. We're not very mechanically minded.
Jasmine Wells: I think you either have to love sitting there on a machine and playing with spanners.
Beck Hurley: It's the maintenance part we're not good at.
Brad Hurley: So 2000, there was an alternate meat breeds seminar at Broken Hill, so a few in the district. We jumped on a train and went on a train trip to Broken Hill and we were introduced to Damaras and Dorpers and Dohnes and all sorts of different breeds up there that we thought could be a new direction to go. So we came home and bought some Damaras, put them over the Merinos and we got the first cross. That's how we got started there. And then after a couple of years we had $ 23 of ram lamb live export and that was big money back then. A couple of months of age, put them on a boat. It was good for a while, but then the buyers in the sail yards sort of turned off Damaras a bit. So we switched to Dorpers, which was great. So that was best thing we ever did, I think. So we stopped growing wheat and started running Dorpers and the cattle and that was a turning point. And then we went into a 10- year drought.
Jasmine Wells: And how'd you get through that? That's when you started changing numbers and how you actually... You'd already changed your enterprise, but then you changed how you organized the enterprise.
Brad Hurley: Changing enterprise and then by chance-
Beck Hurley: We'd had three, two wet years, '98, '99, 2000, three wet years, a bit similar to what we've had. And then boom, the drought came and we thought we had a lot of water and the dams were full of silt really, weren't they? So we ran out of water, which was a bit of a debacle. We scraped through.
Brad Hurley: So the neighbors, we got new neighbors when that drought started and they had to sell their stock and they were going to buy new stock when they moved here, but then all the drought was here so they didn't bother. But I was watching, they had grass next door and we were bare dirt. They had their butts still sitting there, the butt grass. And we'd get 40 points of rain and they'd get a bit of green pick. We'd get 40 points of rain next door over the fence and we'd get a green pick, but then it'd die three weeks later. But theirs was still there. And then we'd get another 30 points and their green pick would grow a bit more. And mine would start again. It was good to watch because it was right on the boundary. We had a road up the fence and I just watched what was happening there with their ground cover. Anyway, it's not rocket science, but we were boom or bust running capacity all the time. So yeah, I thought if we can try and maintain that ground cover because out here a lot of time you only get 30 or 40 points and you've got to try and do as much as you can with it. Once the drought finished and we got our grass back, we've sort of kept it ever since, until the big droughts.
Beck Hurley: Yeah, 2019 there was not much anyone could do about that one.
Brad Hurley: No, true.
Beck Hurley: It was a bit ugly.
Brad Hurley: That was a learning curve. And so now we try and maintain our ground cover as much as possible.
Jasmine Wells: And I think you probably don't give yourselves enough credit there. There's a real skill in looking over the fence and realizing that maybe what you've done isn't right and someone else has just done it a bit better. And then learning from that and committing to that I think is a huge thing.
Beck Hurley: I think being open to change.
Jasmine Wells: And likewise for learning, seeing someone else do something wrong.
Brad Hurley: So Peter Andrews' books we read about the same time and that was, I think every farming kid that leaves boarding school should have to read those books as soon as he gets home.
Beck Hurley: Just a different perspective on what is normally drummed into kids. Even, I'm sure, agriculture hasn't changed at school since we did it and they just need to bring in a few different theories.
Brad Hurley: There's reasons why things happen. Anyway, that's what I learned, that not all weeds are bad. They're our friend a lot of the time.
Beck Hurley: Slow the water down.
Brad Hurley: That was another good learning curve. So that's where we're at. And then we got through the drought and since then I think we've done pretty darn good.
Jasmine Wells: And speaking of slowing water, you've got some water spreading in?
Brad Hurley: Water spreading banks. Yeah, we're cleared a paddock and we've got some water spreading banks and now we're trialing all different pastures. We're having a bit of fun with what works and what doesn't out here, so we're not talking big acres. They're sort of 30, 40 acre plots at the biggest. And now we're just having fun trialing all different pastures and try and get a smorgasbord. We're very big on the native grasses and if we can maintain them and then have a little lolly here and there for the stock, that's the plan.
Jasmine Wells: That's a good plan. They all seem pretty happy. And you're not just running cattle and Dorpers, you're running some mini donkeys too, who have their own Instagram pages.
Brad Hurley: So another learning curve. Years ago I split our Dorpers into age groups to lamb. And I had them in different paddocks obviously. And then it came to land marking, the paddocks, as you went, each paddock further away from the house, the lambing percentage dropped about 10%, so had to be foxes or pigs and we can't leave them all around the house. So neighbor had some donkeys that we read about the donkeys that that's technically why we got them, to chase the pigs and the foxes that are in my house.
Beck Hurley: Have we really done that?
Brad Hurley: They're here purely for my enjoyment. No, they're-
Beck Hurley: They're about to go out again.
Brad Hurley: So then we've had a couple of drought years and a couple of wet years. So lambing percentages, we sort of haven't had a true indication, but we're back to normal this year, so we'll put the donkeys back in at lambing time and we'll see what happens this year.
Beck Hurley: Up to seven, nearly eight.
Brad Hurley: Eight. I've got one on the way.
Beck Hurley: Tanya is-
Brad Hurley: Tanya's about to have a baby. So yeah, so I've got nearly got eight donkeys.
Jasmine Wells: So is the plan to keep them or will you start actually trading?
Brad Hurley: Depends on who you ask. If you ask me, I want 100, if you ask Beck, I've got to start selling them.
Beck Hurley: Pretty soon.
Jasmine Wells: How do they work? Do you put one out on its own per mob or they go as a pair or-
Brad Hurley: If you put a pair they play with each other. I've got to put one out and if you put one out there, they'll adopt the herd, hang with them and God help any fox that tries to get a lamb.
Jasmine Wells: So you've seen them in action?
Brad Hurley: I've seen them staunch a neighbor's dog. A dog they don't know, they'll just want to-
Beck Hurley: They sort of barrel things. Bill, our son, saw Glen take after a pig and they sort of drive their chest into the pig.
Brad Hurley: We all would've assumed that they kick it.
Beck Hurley: Yeah, we just assumed they kick.
Brad Hurley: They don't, they use their chest, they drop their legs back and they drive their chest into them and squash them,
Beck Hurley: And bite. Yeah, they go for the neck, sort of thing.
Jasmine Wells: Yeah, they seem so lovely and friendly.
Beck Hurley: Yeah.
Brad Hurley: Well they are, yeah. But if a foreign dog walks up, they just pin the ears back and just want to take a piece out of it.
Jasmine Wells: They're miniature donkeys, aren't they? Why miniature as opposed to-
Brad Hurley: Because that's what my neighbor had.
Jasmine Wells: Yeah. Okay. And they're cuter.
Brad Hurley: And they're cuter. Yeah. So there's dwarf, they're the next ones down. They're as big as a dog. So there's donkeys...
Jasmine Wells: Is that on the cards?
Brad Hurley: ... then miniature then dwarf.
Beck Hurley: I was pretty quick to say that, wasn't I?
Jasmine Wells: There was no doubt about it.
Brad Hurley: Are we allowed to have any? No. Little donkey. So yeah, hopefully we'll have a normal year this year and we can put them out. Yeah, so one with each mob.
Jasmine Wells: Yeah. Okay.
Brad Hurley: We'll see what happens.
Jasmine Wells: And then the other thing, we're jumping all over the place in this podcast, but there's just so many cool things out there, your exclusion fences. Let's talk about how that design came around.
Brad Hurley: Well, we're only a part of a group. We're just lucky enough that it came our direction I guess. But a couple of blokes got together that had been up north and decided to try and get funding for one here, which they did, which was good. So it's 230 kilometers in a circle. There's about 23 properties in it, a quarter of a million acres nearly.
Beck Hurley: And then you got a brainwave to do your own.
Jasmine Wells: Was that with Western LLS? Is that right? Are you part of that same fence?
Beck Hurley: Yes. Everyone's in Western.
Jasmine Wells: But your fences here are a different design to what I've seen.
Brad Hurley: So they added up to be quite expensive, the exclusion fence. So it was like six or $ 7, 000 a kilometer. So we had a problem along the main road here. So I thought if I could build it, try and emulate it a bit cheaper. So we built a two- foot bank and then put a four- foot fence on top of that. So effectively when you're standing back you've got a six- foot fence for half price.
Jasmine Wells: And it's also got a dip from where you've built that fence up as well. So the roos are sort of jumping from a lower-
Brad Hurley: Yeah, where they take their spot is down lower. And it worked. I sat up on the ridge and I could see for a kilometer. I watched a roo. A roo won't jump a fence unless it's chased. They prefer to push under. Left alone in the wild, they'll just slowly walk up to a fence and try and push under it. So I just sat up there and a couple of roos luckily hopped over to the new fence and they tried to push under it and I've seen roos running at it, being chased, and they get 30 meters from it and start veering thinking I can't jump that. Yeah. So they just started veering and run along it.
Jasmine Wells: So visually it deters them. Choose a different path.
Beck Hurley: The pigs made a horrendous pad too. They couldn't get through it either.
Brad Hurley: Up and down. Yeah.
Jasmine Wells: Is there a skirt? Have you got an apron?
Brad Hurley: No, just got a big barb on the bottom laying on the ground. It's laying on top of the bank. It'll rust but not in my time.
Jasmine Wells: So financially-
Brad Hurley: It was half price. Yeah, just as effective, I believe.
Jasmine Wells: In amongst all of this, you had three kids going through School of the Air?
Beck Hurley: Yes.
Brad Hurley: Did we?
Beck Hurley: That's a blur, man.
Brad Hurley: Yes, three kids through distance ed.
Beck Hurley: Yeah, 13 years doing that. Shannon, Bill and Tash all did school at home until year seven and then they went to boarding school. So through Dubbo distance ed, that was their call sign.
Brad Hurley: "Shannon Kalabra over." And then they progressed to computers and then it was Zoom with the teacher. So it did progress along the way. But yeah, neither of us were school teachers. I ended up being the art teacher and Beck was the rest.
Beck Hurley: What did they call you? Mr. Duck Bean. The kids called him Mr. Duck Bean.
Brad Hurley: The art teacher. Yeah. So that was different.
Beck Hurley: Yeah, that was a busy time of life actually because most of it was during that millennium drought. So the kids, a lot of time doing school themselves. So they're very independent learners, the three of them.
Jasmine Wells: Yeah.
Beck Hurley: Good kids.
Jasmine Wells: I can't relate to it but often, and you shouldn't judge, everyone's situation's different, but you often hear people how busy they are. And then I think of people like you guys like running all this country, keeping stock alive, keeping kids alive and educating them, hundred Ks from town. And also very active in the community as well.
Beck Hurley: Yes.
Brad Hurley: Well no, God, no wonder I'm tired.
Beck Hurley: No, it's a cycle. Definitely. There's good times, there's bad times. But I think the thing as you get older you realize that the bad times don't last forever. Yeah. I think that's one thing that gets easier to accept as you get older, you think-
Brad Hurley: Keep looking forward.
Beck Hurley: In 2018 and '19, we were thinking, oh gosh, is it going to go on for 10 years again? But you just keep positive. I think that's probably important with all aspects of life, not just farming.
Jasmine Wells: Yeah, absolutely.
Brad Hurley: But it's easier. We haven't got the costs. We're breeding everything. The outlay isn't there. It's not as big a risk, I don't think. We've just got to turn strike, keep the stock alive. But we've done a lot of, all the fences are new in the last 20 years. It's all the infrastructure's sitting there now. So it's just-
Beck Hurley: I'd like a few more fences.
Brad Hurley: Yeah, we're doing a few more. So we're doing that. Yeah, we're splitting paddocks down, we're trying to make life easier.
Beck Hurley: I'm sick of the big paddocks.
Brad Hurley: Yeah. So that's our next project. We're-
Beck Hurley: Split a few.
Brad Hurley: Put more sets of yards around so we're not mustering all day, we're just trying to make it easier because we're getting older.
Jasmine Wells: I'm close behind you, don't worry.
Brad Hurley: So that's the plan, try and make it a bit easier for a couple of oldies to be stock people.
Jasmine Wells: So you had really good percentages this year too, you were saying. So you're putting, we were talking about that earlier, Speckle Park bulls over your heifers.
Beck Hurley: Oh yeah, the heifers were good. Yeah.
Brad Hurley: Yeah. So we've just, we've had Herefords for 70 odd years.
Jasmine Wells: The same line too, is that right?
Brad Hurley: Yes, yes. Been breeders since then. We're just trying to make carving easier. We're trying to reduce all the labor- intensive stuff. So we bought some Speckle Park bulls to put over the heifers and everything will be... Expendable?
Beck Hurley: Terminal.
Jasmine Wells: Yeah, terminal.
Brad Hurley: Terminal. That's the one. So everything will be terminal out of a Speckle. I'm a bit anal when it comes to looking at my stock. I hate things with black spots or white spots or they're not Hereford-looking...
Jasmine Wells: Nice and neat.
Brad Hurley: ... they really grate me.
Jasmine Wells: But they serve a purpose.
Brad Hurley: Yes.
Beck Hurley: Yes. No, the heifers just spit them out.
Brad Hurley: Everything that we turn, yeah. So out of this year's hundred heifers, we had 96 in calf. So we'll see what happens there.
Jasmine Wells: So that's this year you started doing that?
Brad Hurley: No, last year we started. Yeah. So this should be the second.
Beck Hurley: So they're few on the ground now. Yeah.
Brad Hurley: Yeah, the bulls were a bit young last year. We didn't get the proper percentage but they worked well this year. So we'll see what happens there.
Jasmine Wells: And then-
Beck Hurley: Yes, it's fun. We love our cattle.
Jasmine Wells: Yeah, just not nice, neat tidy Herefords.
Brad Hurley: I hate a Dorper with a black spot, even. That's why I don't have blackhead Dorpers.
Jasmine Wells: Yeah.
Brad Hurley: Just the white ones.
Jasmine Wells: And then just to jump around a little bit more, we didn't talk about Good Going Out Cutlery.
Brad Hurley: The artist within.
Jasmine Wells: Yeah. So how did that come about?
Brad Hurley: Well every now and then I get a fad. I was down in Tasmania and there was a bloke down there making rings out of spoons, teaspoons. And I was going to buy one for my wife and my two daughters and I chose them and I was walking up to the counter and I thought, ah, I could make these. I went and put them back on the shelf and I went to a secondhand shop and bought some spoons and came home and started making Good Going Out Cutlery. So I had a bit of fun with that, but if I can't do it in a couple of minutes, I lose interest. So I never take on big arty things if I'm... I could never do a sculpture for 10,000 hours or anything. But anyway, so yeah, I started bending spoons and-
Beck Hurley: You had a lot of fun with it.
Brad Hurley: Especially with my marketing girl.
Beck Hurley: Tash helped you with your website.
Jasmine Wells: I just love that. I know family here, they had some cutlery from their family and they gave that to you and I actually got one of those rings from the Neils and I just think it's beautiful. That was Esme's good cutlery and now it's the girl's Good Going Out Cutlery.
Brad Hurley: And I know it will get used.
Jasmine Wells: That's right.
Brad Hurley: There was another lady that's-
Beck Hurley: Had a few families do it. It's a great concept.
Brad Hurley: Yeah. Another lady bought some teaspoons in Germany when she was there when she was 20 or something and they've been in the drawer ever since. So she sent them to me and I made six rings for her six granddaughters.
Jasmine Wells: That's so sweet.
Brad Hurley: All different styles. That was, yeah, I liked doing stuff like that. That's got a good purpose.
Jasmine Wells: And it's really, I guess you do all styles, but what I've seen, I guess the word would be quite contemporary. It's really cool stuff. It's not nothing boring about that.
Beck Hurley: The ones with the forks, so the little cocktail forks are pretty groovy. They're a bit different, aren't they?
Brad Hurley: Yeah, no two are the same is my motto at the start.
Jasmine Wells: Yeah, I think you've achieved that.
Brad Hurley: Yeah. Yeah. And they're quick to do so I don't lose interest.
Jasmine Wells: So you can stick to it.
Brad Hurley: Yeah, so that's a bit of fun.
Jasmine Wells: So what's on for the future? What are the plans? Making things easier?
Beck Hurley: Yeah, a few more fences, divide a few paddocks up, a few more dams.
Brad Hurley: More dams, more fences, more pasture.
Jasmine Wells: Are you finding with more ground cover you're having to watch the water more? You're not getting as much water in dams?
Brad Hurley: Well luckily we're still getting the big rains. We've got quite slope- y country, so it's a good catch. If we're on flatter country, I'd be very wary. I've heard of blokes, they maintain their ground cover and all of a sudden they never run water anymore. We're luckier that way. We've got a lot of ridges and good catches. So good heavy inch of rain will do go a long way to filling most dams. So it's not hard to get that every now and then. So no, we're lucky that way.
Beck Hurley: It's like a block full at the moment, that's for sure.
Brad Hurley: Yeah.
Jasmine Wells: It's beautiful.
Brad Hurley: That's not a negative. Biggest negative, it will be one hell of a bushfire when it comes through. I mean that could just change everything because we've got so much ground cover. Funny, the old days they would burn the rank grass because nothing you needed. That was a mentality. Oh, you got to burn that and you get the green pick. Yeah, well you get the green pick and then it turns 40 degrees and then you've got nothing again. And then that was back to that cycle of you never want bare ground out here because you're not guaranteed the rain to replace it. So we are keeping all the dry rank grass now, but gee, everything's still growing underneath it. I think that old mentality's very wrong. Plus you've got the competition, the galvanized burr and all those sorts of things just don't grow when you've got so much ground cover.
Jasmine Wells: Yeah, well they're those early colonizing plants, aren't they?
Brad Hurley: Yeah.
Jasmine Wells: They're the ones that it's hard to look at because you have to leave them there because they're doing a job.
Brad Hurley: After a drought, they're the first things to grow. But then once your grass takes over again they die out and then they don't come back. I think it's a great cycle of the galvanized burr. This country used to be flogged out with rabbits and sheep and covered in gal burr, now you're lucky to find a gal burr once the grass is established. So that's a good change.
Jasmine Wells: So more time for more golf.
Brad Hurley: Now the kids are all educated.
Beck Hurley: All independent.
Brad Hurley: All independent. We play golf on Saturdays.
Beck Hurley: And they'll say that that you played golf the whole time through their childhood.
Brad Hurley: Yeah, I played sport on Saturday.
Beck Hurley: We all played sport Saturday.
Brad Hurley: We all played sport. You've got to get off the farm and do something one day a week.
Beck Hurley: That was our church, wasn't it?
Jasmine Wells: I love that because it is 100 Ks. Fair chunk of it's dirt or gravel.
Beck Hurley: Yeah, nearly half.
Jasmine Wells: But it's nothing for you guys to just, I see you at the race meetings and you are 100 Ks from town, but you are so involved in the community still.
Beck Hurley: Yes, and we've always been like that.
Brad Hurley: Yeah.
Beck Hurley: Brad's been captain of the golf club now for a few years, which is pretty hectic. It's a big job, but you love it.
Brad Hurley: Well. They say to be a good captain, you've got to have a lovely wife.
Jasmine Wells: Then you should be the best captain.
Brad Hurley: I'm sure of that.
Jasmine Wells: Well, thank you both so much for your time today.
Brad Hurley: No worries. Thanks, Jas.
Beck Hurley: It's been a pleasure.
Neroli Brennan: Thanks for listening. This podcast was brought to you by Central West Local Land Services. Local Land Services delivers advice and support to farmers, landholders and the community across New South Wales. To learn more, you can find us online by searching for Central West Local Land Services. If you'd like more information about the topics we discussed today, as well as links to relevant articles, fact sheets, events, and other helpful resources, we've added those into the show notes for this episode. You can find them by tapping or swiping over the cover art in your podcast player now. Hey, and while you're there, please leave us a five star review. It really helps other farmers find the show. I'm your host, Neroli Brennan, and I'll chat to you next time.