Neroli Brennan: This is Seeds for Success. A show where we have a good yarn about ag life with producers who are having a go. On the show you'll hear from farmers in New South Wales who are out there battling the elements, making tough calls, and getting the job done. You'll get a laugh out of some of their stories and also pick up some knowhow along the way. I'm your host, Neroli Brennan. Today, we're having a yarn with Craig Whiteley. Craig runs a 700 acre property called The Oaks just outside Geurie, overlooking the Macquarie River, where he and his family produce Aussie Whites, lucerne hay, and other irrigated crops. In this episode, Craig shares with us that his family have had a long history with this property. Spanning close to 100 years of continuous ownership. And throughout this time, they've doubled in a number of different ag commodities, ranging from cherries to potatoes and corn. You'll hear Craig discuss his willingness to innovate and make the most of new opportunities when they present themselves, while also striving to balance promising markets with simplicity in production, and just loving what you make. Local land services cropping advisor, Tim Bartimote, caught up with Craig for this chat while sitting on the lounge at The Oaks.
Tim Bartimote: Well, welcome everyone back to the podcast. I'm here today with Craig Whiteley on The Oaks. How are you going today, Craig?
Craig Whiteley: Pretty good, thanks, Tim.
Tim Bartimote: Can you just tell us a little bit about The Oaks?
Craig Whiteley: This place is about 700 acres. It's the sort of place that has a mix of irrigation and dry land. And so, as my father used to tell me, not big enough to get yourself out of trouble and just big enough to keep yourself in it. So it's a mixed operation and we grow, typically now, have done a range of things over the years, but typically now, based on a self replacing mob of Aussie White sheep. And we irrigate about 120 acres under pivot, and principally, lucerne hay production, but have done plenty of corn, popcorn, seed corn, seed production for canola, cereals. We've tried to grow some cherries in the past, unsuccessfully. I think we had one crop in 10 years, so that was the end of that. We've grown Consol lovegrass seed, fenugreek, coriander, potatoes, as well as the usual. You know? Cereals, wheat, barley, canola, those sorts of things. So wide- ranging, but the older I get, the more simplified we get. So, it's primarily sheep and lucerne at the moment.
Tim Bartimote: We're not too far out of Geurie and not too far out of Dubbo. How far would you say we are?
Craig Whiteley: Oh, we're about 3 Ks south of Geurie on the banks of the Macquarie River.
Tim Bartimote: Good spot to be.
Craig Whiteley: It's literally half an hour to Dubbo and 20 minutes to Wellington, so it's a pretty handy spot.
Tim Bartimote: And how long has your family been associated with The Oaks?
Craig Whiteley: On this iteration, my grandfather and his father bought it in 1935. So it's been in the family a little over 100 years. I think the Whiteley's had a crack at it for 20 odd years in the late 1800s and sold it again in the early 1900s, and bought it back again in 1935. So my grandfather and my grandparents were here, and lucky enough to be able to follow suit.
Tim Bartimote: So from day dot, you've spent your entire career on the farm or you've come from other places?
Craig Whiteley: A bit of a checkered past. Spent some time in Sydney.
Tim Bartimote: Oh, we won't hold that against you.
Craig Whiteley: Yes. And went down there doing a little bit of futures trading for a little while and a little bit of building and development work, and backwards and forwards from the farm. But back here full time. So nice to be here.
Tim Bartimote: Yeah, I bet. And can you describe for the listeners a bit about the country itself? Is it mainly river flats?
Craig Whiteley: It's a small place, but it's such a diverse geological background. We've got alluvial country obviously on the river flats, but we've got to the east of the place, is the end of that Devonian limestone ridge that comes through from Jenolan Caves, Wellington Caves sort of finishes up at the back of Geurie. So we've got a little bit of that. Well, if you like, three small hills on the place. Two of those are the shale, and one of them is sandstone. We're on the foothill, if you like, of Geurie Bald Hill, which we can see out the window there, which is an old volcanic plug, which is a basalt plug.
Tim Bartimote: Yeah, there's not much hair on it. So yeah, it's pretty bald.
Craig Whiteley: That's right. So it's quite diverse in its geological breakup. But most of the soils on the dry land side of things would be clay loam.
Tim Bartimote: And is that where your pivots are situated?
Craig Whiteley: Most of the pivots are on the alluvial country, but some of it swings up on a clay loam. So again, each pivot has got a few different soil tops mostly, so that can be a bit tricky to manage. But you seem to be on top of it now and that's just an ongoing thing to keep that soil balance right for those pivots.
Tim Bartimote: So would you say that the Australian Whites are the main driver in your business, like that's the main source of income?
Craig Whiteley: It would be equally split between the sheep business and the irrigation business. So it would... Yeah, about half and a half. But the hay business obviously compliments the sheep business well, because when we finished the hay season this year, we got to the end of April, we had a cut of hay ready to go. Season changed a little bit, got a bit rained, and got quite dewy in the mornings and cold. And we made the call that we didn't think we were going to be able to make the hay or make some quality hay at least. And so we ended up putting a mob of lambs on there. So you get that extended grazing period. We tend to run highly interactive lucerne varieties, which gives us that little bit more shoulder production. So that works in well with a sheep. Typically no bloat issues. So we are not worried about cattle on straight, loose and always a good thing. And it gives us the opportunity if we get a bit of rougher hay as well, we can use that for our own sheep stocks. And they compliment each other pretty well.
Tim Bartimote: Is lucerne hay the predominant thing that you're making with the pivots? You've tried a number of different things, which I want to get into later. I'd love to have a chat about that. But at the moment is lucerne hay the primary output?
Craig Whiteley: It is. That mixed with probably a seed corn production. That's a nice way to use up some of that additional nitrogen fixed over that lucerne period. Either that or back into winter cereal type to utilize some of that extra nitrogen. But typically it's based on at the moment a lucerne, straight summer lucerne growth without anything else into... What I mean by with anything else. We're not growing lucerne with phalaris or lucerne and clover, or anything else. It's just a straight lucerne monoculture.
Tim Bartimote: How long are these stands lasting for?
Craig Whiteley: Typically four or five years. We get quite a bit of khaki weed on the rib flats, or can do. And that's a great indicator. As soon as we start seeing any of those things coming into the... You know? that the plant stand has thinned out and it's time to rip it up. So it's a great indicator.
Tim Bartimote: So in regards to thinning out of lucerne stands, are you primarily making that decision based off weed burden, which demonstrates to you that the stand has dropped to a point, the population has dropped and so you need to do something about it? Or could you just argue that maybe it just needs a winter clean or it needs to get blown out or something like that? Or is it you find a strong correlation between plant population of the lucerne and the increase in population of weeds?
Craig Whiteley: Yeah, very strong correlation between the plant population thinning out and the increase in weeds. So yes, we will sometimes then oversow a winter cereal for the wintertime, as a hay production in the spring, or feed it off. But that following summer will be far reduced yield in terms of hay production or anything else. So we might do that, take the hay off in the spring, rip it up and plant whatever, say a corn crop then in the late spring.
Tim Bartimote: Yeah, right. It gets to the point where it's just not worth carrying it on anymore. And that's demonstrated by the increase in the summer that-
Craig Whiteley: And it costs you the same. You're putting on the same amount of water, the same amount of inputs. You're just not getting the yield out of it and it's just time to rip it up.
Tim Bartimote: Once heard an old cookie say that if you're not plowing your lucerne with tears, then you're doing it too late.
Craig Whiteley: Yes. Yes. Yeah. That's a good saying because you always do look at it and you go, " Oh, there's plenty here, there's plenty here," but experience tells you it's just not worth persevering.
Tim Bartimote: Yeah, okay. Because I definitely would find maybe more in the dry land space that people argue for like five, six years or something out of a stand.
Craig Whiteley: In a completely different situation. You definitely get productivity out of it, but it costs you so much from an irrigation point of view. You've got that opportunity cost, you've got the infrastructure, you've got the water costs, you've got the electricity costs. You've got to make it pay, you've got to keep it moving. So if it was a dryland situation, different story. It's very easy to go, and I've got plenty of them here, dryland blocks have lucerne where you do go, : Oh, it'll kick that can down the road for another year or two," and do so. But it is different on the irrigation.
Tim Bartimote: Yeah, so the bang for buck is... Yeah.
Craig Whiteley: Yeah. That's the theory anyway. Sometimes you weaken and you keep a block for another year, and you always get in the middle of the season and you go, " Oh, why did I do it?"
Tim Bartimote: Yes. It should have been gone. Should have been growing cherries here.
Craig Whiteley: I need to learn that lesson again.
Tim Bartimote: No. So let's move into that question that's probably on everyone's mind. Well mine anyway, potatoes, cherries. How'd you get into cherry... What happened there?
Craig Whiteley: Oh, cherries? Long story, but in a nutshell it was the guy around orange that was growing some cherries and basically looking to expand and grow some in these western climbs, thinking that we would have enough of the cold requirement to be able to do it just on the western edge of it. And we did, but I think again, experience is such a wonderful thing, but in hindsight we did have the cold requirement, the chill requirement to be able to just grow the cherries. The issue for us, and I'm struggling to remember the numbers exactly, but I remember reading this paper obviously after we'd finished this full experiment, but it was a paper out of Japan where they'd done some research on once the fruit had been set, the temperatures after the fruit had been set, and again I'm struggling for the exact number, but I think it was 28 degrees. Once the fruit had fertilized and you got more than three days above 30 degrees, the fruit would abort . And that was happening to us, and it looked like the fruit was frosted. It had that same sort of look. So the trees would fertilize, you'd get a little pea- sized fruit, and you think, here we go, we're away. Because the other thing we were worried about was frost. The fruit has formed and then it would just senesce and die fall off the tree. And so in our climate here, very much in that October period, we go from spring to summer very quickly. We always talk about the hair dryer gets turned off, the winds come in from the northwest, and that's the end of spring. So typically I think what was happening for us was it was getting too hot too soon. And so the cherry trees would abort , drop the fruit and go, we'll have another go year. And so the year that we got some fruit was actually a wet year.
Tim Bartimote: So you need that atypical soft spring actually produce a decent crop.
Craig Whiteley: Yes, correct. So if you look at the areas, they grow a lot of cherries. Orange, young, Tasmania, further south. They get that longer finish to a season. So I think that's where our issue was.
Tim Bartimote: Which can happen. We've had a few the last couple of seasons. We've had a really rough spring last year and then had some soft ones. But we don't get them commonly I guess.
Craig Whiteley: That's right. They are atypical, aren't they?
Tim Bartimote: Yeah. And potatoes, what's the story with potatoes?
Craig Whiteley: Potatoes, again looking at crops that you could potentially get bigger yields from. And they were 25, 30 ton an acre sort of yield potentials. And this was a fair while ago now, back in the '90s, and we had some local guys that were growing potatoes and looking for some extra country. And we grew it with them, and they were sent to Sydney and turned into chips. But it wasn't without its issues. But interestingly enough, some near neighbors last year have started growing potatoes again for the first time. And I think they've had a pretty successful season. So well power to them and I think they'll be doing it again. So it's interesting.
Tim Bartimote: Maybe it was you who was telling me that actually. Because I was like, " Huh," it sounds like you're not the first and you won't be the last anyway.
Craig Whiteley: As is always these things. And again, just across the river we've got a few guys growing cotton. Which this far east we'd never seen before. And as varieties change and as things change, it enables other crops. So it's forever thus I guess.
Tim Bartimote: It's that age old story of you've got a certain amount of water, it's just trying to make the most money I guess, in terms of you're always going to use the same amount regardless of the year. And so it's like, well, you're going to grow this crop that makes this much money or you're going to grow that crop that makes more money. Obviously you're going to go with the one that the best bang for your buck kind of thing.
Craig Whiteley: I do remember an old agronomist telling me that it takes three years to grow new crop.
Tim Bartimote: As in three years to get used to a new crop to grow it well?
Craig Whiteley: Correct. So in my youthful impetuousness, I poo-pooed that and said, that won't be right.
Tim Bartimote: Work it in one .
Craig Whiteley: But I often reflect on that and think how right he was. Because anytime I've grown a new crop or something new, it seems to take at least three seasons to figure out what it is that you're doing. And sometimes you never do, but it's a fair approximation for where you start to get more comfortable.
Tim Bartimote: It sounds a bit like a pendulum. You go really hard one way and you're like, " Oh, that didn't work," and then you swing back the other way too far, and you're like, " Oh, that didn't work either," and you find your equilibrium in the middle maybe.
Craig Whiteley: Such his life.
Tim Bartimote: Yeah, that's it. That's really interesting. And so now I just go back to a bit about the fodder story. Because obviously you've been involved in one of our programs called top fodder, in pro grows.
Craig Whiteley: Indeed, yeah, both. Yeah, still doing the pro grows now.
Tim Bartimote: So in terms of hey versus silage, what's your thinking now? Are you still using silage or you've kind of chucked that out and going back to predominantly hay?
Craig Whiteley: We could have made some silage this last cut that I was talking about, this season just gone. And I think it really has its place in that, perhaps first cut of the season and last cut of the season. Again, this is just my take on it, not everyone's take, but I think from doing the silage course, which was great, the top fodder, learned a lot about silage, but also learned how much you don't know, to some degree. Have I made silage before? Yes. It hasn't been a regular part of the program because the way that we've done it has been individually wrapped round bath, which tend to be from a cost per ton perspective, the most expensive form of silage. And it is a form that, it's difficult to transport, so it's hard. We sell a lot of the hay that we produce, where the silage is more difficult to sell over long distances, because you're transporting half water. It's got problems in terms of we've got a lot of cockatoos on the river, you get a lot of bag damage from birds. So it doesn't last a long time. So you can put cut of hay away in the shed and that will last one, two, three years, no problems at all. But with your silage, if you're putting it in a bag, you better be starting to think about using it next year within the year, and two years is probably the max that you'd want to go. It's an expensive form, it's not that transportable, and it doesn't last.
Tim Bartimote: So in your experience, because of your tendency to export and sell what you're producing on the pivots and just your local landscape. So what about pitted silage?
Craig Whiteley: So I've never done the pitted silage. I think there there's an opportunity for that. But again, the disadvantage is you've got to use it on farm, and once you open the pit you've got to use it. Now if we're in a different sort of production system where we were trying to feed some cattle or some sheep or whatever the case may be, different story. I think it's all horses for courses. My take home from the top fodder course, with a silage, it's a lot easier to make good quality hay than it is to make good quality silage. And that is you cut the hay if you get the seasonal conditions right, if it doesn't rain and you bail it up, it's easy to get that right. When you're on-siling, you've got to get your moisture content right, you've got your bacteria, right. You've got... You know?
Tim Bartimote: Yeah, you've got those 48 hours, those two days to really sort it out. Yeah.
Craig Whiteley: So much more, the processes are far more critical. And what you are on-siling, and it's stage of growth, and the sugar contents, and how much fermentation goes on, all that sorts of things. So it's more difficult to get right. It doesn't mean it's not worth doing, and it's a valuable food source.
Tim Bartimote: Yeah. Is the potential higher quality or having a different timing against hay, do you think that's worthwhile in that potential?
Craig Whiteley: Oh, absolutely. I think the real advantage for the silage in an operation like ours, as I say that first cut and the last cut where you can extend that season a little bit. Or if you've got a weather system coming or something, where it just gives you that little bit extra flexibility. But there's no point making it unless you've got the use for it on farm, or a market for it.
Tim Bartimote: It goes back to the potato question I guess. All the cherries and things.
Craig Whiteley: That's right. Everything else.
Tim Bartimote: Yeah, it sounds great. But you haven't got anywhere to sell it or if it doesn't work with your climate, then it's not really a good fit.
Craig Whiteley: It's interesting just doing the pro grows course now and doing some actual feed tests. And we did it on one of these pivots with lucerne, in it where we tested the lucerne as it was growing, and it was about a week off being fit to cut for hay, when we would normally cut it for hay. As I said, it turned a bit cold and wet, so we didn't cut off hay, we put the lambs on it. But we did the feed tests on that and then we did feed tests on... This is a new block of lucerne, so we only got three cuts off it for the season. But the three different cuts that we did were pretty ideal. It had no rain on, it all went pretty smoothly, all pretty well. And so we did a feed test on each one of those cuts. And the green lucerne. Now each one of those cuts you could throw a blanket over the results of the lot of them. They're all fairly similar. But what was the standout for me in a light bulb moment, was that the green feed was testing at around 32% crude protein. Whereas the hay was about 18%. In the haymaking process, we lost 50% of the crude protein with no rain, just a normal haymaking process. The metabolizable energy dropped by about 30% from memory. So I think standing in the paddock it was roughly 11, and came back to eight or nine for the hay, which was a pretty significant loss in the haymaking process.
Tim Bartimote: That's ideal. They talk about 11 plus kind of thing, like 10 plus. And to do certain things with certain livestock classes. But then you're dropping in that eight or nine, it kind of limits.
Craig Whiteley: And as I say, this is off the top of my head, but I certainly remember that the drop from the green feed and the paddock to the hay was a 50% loss in crude protein, and basically a 30% loss in metabolizable energy. So it'd be really interesting to do some tests on the silage to see whether that loss is linear over the number of days that it's drying down, or whether a lesser loss in the silage making process in terms of food quality.
Tim Bartimote: I think that's for those who haven't done the course of that critical 48 hours. Getting it done within that time obviously helps with that preserving. Because I guess it comes back to what are we doing? We're preserving something. You can't make something better if it's not...
Craig Whiteley: That's true.
Tim Bartimote: The best you're ever going to have is like, yeah, sitting out there in the paddock with the... I think I can see some white specs in the distance, doing some grazing at the moment. They're going to get the best option right now, but then how do we stop this deterioration, and which is the best way of preservation?
Craig Whiteley: And if you think, and again, this is something that came up in the top fodder course about cutting hay, and that first 48 hours is still a respiration process, and perhaps in that first 48 hours in that respiration process, that is when you lose the least amount of quality and potentially gets exponential, and you're losing more as the days progress as you're drying it down.
Tim Bartimote: Jumps off a cliff maybe.
Craig Whiteley: Yes. Maybe. Don't know. Well, more to find out.
Tim Bartimote: So it's been really interesting, Craig, to hear your thinking, I guess in terms of what you actually grow. And we have talked about this before about matching markets and landscape, and preferences, like obviously your corn. In this area anyway, there seems to be a lot of corn growing along the river, because of potential market and value per hectare. Is that really what is driving your choices? Do you think it's more preferences or more markets?
Craig Whiteley: It is multifactorial. It is-
Tim Bartimote: That's a good word. Multifactorial.
Craig Whiteley: It's definitely driven by price. It's easier to get excited about different things when there's a higher price involved, but you do have to come back to what you enjoy doing and what you like doing. I think I calculated one time that growing seed corn versus growing the lucerne hay, we had basically the same number of passes over the land. Differed by one or two. So the seed corn crop would typically be a 90 day crop. So it's quite quick. You've got to get all your ducks in a row. If you have a irrigation problem or a pivot problem or something goes wrong with that corn, if that happens today, you better have that going tomorrow, because that crop needs it. With your lucerne, it's far more forgiving. But it's a long season. You're talking six, seven months. And if you get to a period where, like we did a few years ago in the drought, you get a week of 42 degrees days, and you are struggling to keep a crop going, you can go, well, it doesn't matter, I'll cut it now, because it's only three parts done, or it's half done, or whatever it is, that'll do, let's take that leaf away, that transpiration pump away, and turn it into hay, and this period will pass and we'll go again. So you can do that. But with a corn crop you can't do that. So once you start, you're locked in, and away you go. So it feels more intense with a corn crop, because it's obviously compressed over a 90 day period. Whereas the lucerne spread over six to seven months. But the number of passes that you do over the land with you lucerne hay production, your cutting, your raking, your bailing, your carting, you do that four or five times, versus your corn production where you're inter- rowing and you're sewing and you're inter- rowing and you're chopping the tops out, and you harvest all the rest of it. So getting back to your original question though, multifactorial. Yes, you do start off following the money, and then you lean toward the things that sit well with you. And the lucerne production sits well with me because it is a little bit more forgiving. And yes, you do have failures and you get a wet cut and so forth. But you get another bite of the cherry. With your corn production, if you have a misnick or a non pollination, or wiped out with hail or whatever it is, that's it. You get one bite at it.
Tim Bartimote: Right. So it's not completely relativistic where you can grow anything you really want. There's some good options that fit. Obviously we're not growing cherries at the moment, but there's some good options that might fit your business, and you've just found something that you like, that you're good at, and that works really well, out of the couple of options that you do have. Those number of factors is what's helping you make a decision about what do you do with this block. It's not a complete blank slate, like it has some particular ridges that make it suitable for some things and not other things. But at the end of the day, you're growing what you like to grow, and-
Craig Whiteley: I think we always gravitate toward that. It's easy to see. With guys who might run cattle and sheep together, for instance, very often you'll see they do a better job on the sheep than they do on the cattle, because they like the sheep. Or vice versa. Some guys like sitting on tractors and growing crops.
Tim Bartimote: And listening to podcasts,
Craig Whiteley: You're listening to podcasts. It's much harder to listen to podcasts when you're drenching sheep, but can be done.
Tim Bartimote: Well. Thanks Craig. Really appreciate the conversation and your time, and having a chat about your business. I hope you have a great rest of the season.
Craig Whiteley: Thanks, Tim. Pleasure.
Neroli Brennan: Thanks for listening. This podcast was brought to you by Central West Local Land Services. Local Land Services delivers advice and support to farmers, landholders, and the community across New South Wales. To learn more, you can find us online by searching for Central West Local Land Services. If you'd like more information about the topics we discussed today, as well as links to relevant articles, fact sheets, events, and other helpful resources, we've added those into the show notes for this episode. You can find them by tapping or swiping over the cover art in your podcast player now. Hey, and while you're there, please leave us a five star review. It really helps other farmers find the show. I'm your host, Neroli Brennan, and I'll chat to you next time.