Neroli Brennan: This is Seeds for Success, a show where we have a good yarn about ag life with producers who are having a go. On the show, you'll hear from farmers in New South Wales who are out there battling the elements, making tough calls, and getting the job done. You'll get a laugh out of some of their stories and also pick up some know- how along the way. I'm your host Neroli Brennan. Today we're sitting down with Isabele and Pete Roberts. Isabele and Pete farm alongside their family at Cudal on Ridgehaven, running the Ridgehaven Poll Dorset Stud as their primary enterprise. In today's episode, the husband and wife duo talked to us about their complex business and its spread across three properties at Cudal and Forbes, as well as the importance of planning to ensure good communication across the business. Isabele and Pete also share with us the importance of breeding rams with good eating qualities without losing sight of their primary objective, fast- growing lambs that meet market specifications in around 16 weeks. Local Land Services mixed farming advisor Rohan Leach sat down with Pete and Isabele to bring you this part one of this two- part conversation.
Rohan Leach: G'day listeners. Today I'm with Isabele and Pete Roberts from Ridgehaven Poll Dorsets at Cudal. Guys, welcome to the podcast.
Pete Roberts: Thanks for having us.
Rohan Leach: Can you start off by giving us a bit of a rundown of Ridgehaven?
Isabele Roberts: We're a family- owned business located in the center west of New South Wales, just outside Cudal. So we're in a pretty good farming area. We feel very fortunate in terms of what we've got to work with. Our business runs across three properties. Ridgehaven, which is our main stud property where we primarily just produced stud stock, selling about 400 rams each year right across New South Wales and into Queensland. The second property that we run, which is Mount Pleasant, is our commercial lamb production property. It's about 1, 700 acres. And alongside producing about 3, 000 crossbred lambs on that, we also run a Poll Dorset research program called Bowan Park. That's open to a number of different people to put their rams in, and basically we'd look at progeny trial work, collecting data on growth rates, and then we go all the way through to carcass quality with that. And the third farm is out about an hour away out near Forbes, where we run a Merino flock and do a bit of cropping, and my sister runs that one.
Rohan Leach: So who else is involved in the family business?
Pete Roberts: Isabele manages the stud sheep as well as being our CEO. I'm the cropping manager. My brother- in- law, Floyd, he fixes all the stuff I break. And my sister- in- law, Ruth, manages our books and our Forbes properties.
Rohan Leach: There's a lot to take in there in terms of different enterprises and balls in the air. How's that managed and how does that go?
Isabele Roberts: From the outside, I think it does actually look quite complicated. In reality, we run simple systems inside a complex business. That might sound like an answer that I've practiced a bit, but I actually think it's the best way to describe what we do. Our absolute focus in what we do is producing genetics inside our rams for other people's businesses. So the responsibility that we hold from an input point of view out there into hundreds of businesses, we take that very seriously. So in order to make sure that the genetics that we produce can do the job, we run a research program, we produce our own lambs. And so the research program basically looks to see where the genetics are that we want to be either bringing in or verifying what we've currently got. And then our commercial program sends those lambs off to abattoirs and gets them tested and makes sure that actually what we think they can do actually are being produced. So there's this kind of integrated program that we run inside our livestock system. I might talk about sheep a lot because that's kind of my bag. The integration that we then have with the cropping program is that nutritionally animals also need what they need too. So we kind of integrate what's required for them from a pasture point of view and a fodder crop point of view as well. And I think with really great planning, and you can't possibly run this sort of system without really great planning, good communication, good on- farm measurement and predictive measurement on farm, you can in effect put together your program ahead of time and then when either things aren't quite going to plan, you step sideways and you find another way to get back on track, or you just change direction and you go somewhere else. But planning is very definitely the key. Having lots of communication is very definitely the key. But fundamentally I think the fact that all of us want to be able to achieve the same thing and have a common goal, and that's what makes it work.
Rohan Leach: That's a great answer. Yeah, well done. She's doing fist pumps over here for the audience. I really like that, that you're doing research and you're sort of ground- truthing it here all at once. That's really cool to see. I don't know who to direct this one to, but maybe just an overall assessment of the properties that you're running here at Ridgehaven, Bowan Park, and at Forbes. What are you dealing with there? Hectares, soil types?
Pete Roberts: The eastern properties are all on red basalt with a 600 mil rainfall. It's choice. You wouldn't get much better growing conditions. Winter we have a cold snap, we have a heat snap in summer, but really we have a pretty extended. So we usually, we will start sowing on the date 1st of March every year, whether it's dry, whether it's wet. We're generally half to three quarters way through our sowing program by about the 10th of April. Everything we grow, bar lupins, which go in at Forbes, is grazed. So we're double- dipping in everything. So every season's different. Every outcome's different. The drier seasons, the forage is worth more. In a wetter season, the grain's worth something. So it's a complicated system with lots of compromises through the year, but we generally have three to four... Well, probably have three outcomes at the start when we're sowing. We want to graze, we want to take hay, or we want to go to grain. But there are seasons that changes. So we generally run... Forbes is Grawlin- type clay. It's a really difficult soil type to work with. It's either too hard or it's too wet. 70 per cent of it goes under water. So the last few years have been difficult.
Isabele Roberts: It's been quite challenging on our Forbes property. It's called Muddy Water. We didn't name it that, but we certainly know why it's named that. Listeners are probably fairly aware that Forbes got flooded fairly significantly a couple of times in the last few years. And so we've learnt how to deal with water as well as drought.
Rohan Leach: Yes, I've always wondered at the name of that property, driving past, and so good to know that you guys have no idea who named it that as well.
Isabele Roberts: No, well actually, it used to be one paddock of the old Carrawobbity station, and so that paddock's name was the Muddy Water.
Rohan Leach: Because it was obviously very wet.
Isabele Roberts: I would suggest so.
Rohan Leach: And so maybe pastures, and yeah, maybe what pastures you're running on farm, and maybe split that in between east and west.
Pete Roberts: Yep. So eastern blocks, we have the luxury of running permanent pastures, so phalaris, lucernes, chicories, a little bit of cocksfoot, a little bit of fescue. We run rye grasses for production. We still have native country, which is improved with sub- clovers. In Forbes it's a little bit more difficult because we don't have the grass component. So we have in our flood country we run tropical grass, so Bambatsi, digit, which gives us a really good bulk into the autumn. Quality is very poor, but it gives us good bulk. And then any of the non- flood country, lucernes, they go out there.
Rohan Leach: The temperate pastures, so your phalaris, cocksfoot, have you ever given them a crack out west or it's sort of not suited to the environment?
Pete Roberts: They work where water pools. So generally the summers are too hot and dry for us. There is a few cocksfoots you could grow, but nothing seems to eat them, so we steer clear of them.
Rohan Leach: So what was the idea of buying the Forbes place?
Isabele Roberts: We've had it for a while. And we might've painted a negative picture. It's actually a pretty nice farm to have, it's just the last few years have been... Well, we went through the '17, '18, '19 drought and then we got flooded. And then we had one good year and then we got flooded again. So in recent memory, it's been less easy to manage, but it's actually a pretty nice farm. My dad and mum bought that just before my sister got married, so that was 20 years ago. So at that point, we just owned Ridgehaven. And they were looking to expand and make the business just a little bit larger anyway, so when Ruth was getting married they decided to make that move, and she's lived there, basically.
Rohan Leach: So just the right property or looking to diversify and spread your risk?
Isabele Roberts: Yeah, so we sell quite a number of rams out around the Forbes, Condo, Tullamore, Grenfell, like in and around that area. So one of dad's criteria was effectively to buy a farm that we could use to sell rams from as well. And that's been really quite effective. It is just much more convenient for the western blokes to come there and pick up their rams rather than coming all the way to Cudal. So that was probably a business strategic decision. And in around Cudal was very tightly held. And so sometimes it's just the timing of what's available. But it's been a good addition to what we do.
Rohan Leach: Perhaps then the more recent acquisitions around Cudal, is that, again, just about expansion or is there more a business decision on that as well?
Pete Roberts: Oh, it's opportunity. Really, if we had the finances, I'd buy the district. There's nowhere else I want to be.
Rohan Leach: That actually reminds me of something you told me years ago, and that was you could make the land purchases around here really stack up with your ram enterprise, and that probably your other enterprises weren't quite able to make this $ 6- 7, 000 a acre country, or more, work in terms of getting a financial return. So can you explain that a bit more for me, and why can't you just devote all your land area to the stud and take over the world?
Pete Roberts: Well, that's option number one. So for us, look, we run a pretty good show, but our business is in animals, and we've probably learned how to make money out of prime lambs in this area, because you've got to be proactive and you've got to make decisions and you've got to push the system in this eastern country to justify the land acquisition. The stud stuff, it's a hot premium product, so it suits this environment. But it's the prime lamb business is actually is where our growth is, but we're on the money and we have to be on the money to justify it, to even look at buying more country around this area. From a farming point of view, it's not in our interest to be straight farmers here.
Isabele Roberts: As in just growing grain. So there's your comment in and around expanding just the stud business, you have to have clients to buy more rams. So if we were to produce 2, 000 rams, it doesn't mean we could sell 2, 000 rams. And so from a business expansion or putting a little bit more scale into what we do, having one part of our business that's a commodity, and a high quality commodity of lamb, but it is a commodity product, which means that you can put 400 lambs on a truck whenever you want and your business just ticks along. There's a level of making sure that inside the business that you spread that risk as well. And so yes, it'd be great if we could produce and sell 2, 000 rams. As long as they were of good quality, I'm very happy to go there. But at this time, and I think from certainly a control of the output of what we produce, scaling the lamb production side of our business, and doing that well, we can do that and we can afford the country around here, I think simply because we've got a system that works.
Rohan Leach: It's something I did notice just driving in. Obviously, the sheep poo sales for $ 3 a bag out the front, that's probably helping a bit with the business as well. Who's the enterprising...
Isabele Roberts: She's about four and two and not even one. So my niece and two nephews, Floyd's little kids, are doing that. So a bit of pocket money for them. I don't think it's going to underpin the business, but sure, why not?
Pete Roberts: I don't know, they're doing better than me. Our kids did it 10 years ago and I bought every single bag almost without them knowing, whereas my niece and nephew have actually taken it onto Facebook and they actually sell it outside the business, which is lovely.
Isabele Roberts: And actually if you look at it as a business model, it works quite well because the input costs are zero. You've got to put a little bit of labor in the digging, but the bag that it goes into is literally a waste product from a different part of our business. The poo, which is naturally produced and ever- growing underneath the shearing shed, it's not going to run out.
Rohan Leach: Well, I reckon if you put a Ridgehaven stamp on it, you could charge a premium, get that up to maybe 15 bucks a bag.
Pete Roberts: Three bucks is pretty (inaudible) .
Isabele Roberts: Not sure if it's high quality poo or not. I've not looked into the research on that.
Rohan Leach: Well, that's probably a great segue into the Ridgehaven Poll Dorsets. So can you tell me a bit more about that operation?
Isabele Roberts: Yeah, so you've probably caught us in a good year actually. This is our 60th anniversary of producing rams. So 60 years ago, my dad, he worked with his family, mainly on a Merino operation, but some of the older ewes went to a terminal. And he went hunting around looking for rams and he just couldn't find what he wanted. And so, Dad being Dad, he always just liked to do the best he possibly could, and so he decided he'd breed his own. And so 60 years ago he founded Ridgehaven Poll Dorsets, and we've been producing rams ever since. And I think the goal that Dad had right from the very beginning, which was genetics that can produce a really good quality lamb, one that can put profitability into your business, that just does the job for you, I think we've just had a follow- through the whole time on that.
Rohan Leach: So things have probably changed a bit over the 60 years, so what does Ridgehaven look like now?
Isabele Roberts: Oh, there's a few more sheep running around. And we're also in a totally different state. It was started down in Bairnsdale in Victoria. So in 1993, again, Dad being Dad, wanted his business to be bigger than it was and he had this really big vision of what it could look like. So we moved the whole stud, holus- bolus, the whole family, truckloads of gear up to Cudal. So that was a massive change, but the reasoning for that was that this is a really great lamb production area, and so from a business point of view, there was excellent opportunity. We now run around about a thousand stud ewes. And those are bred from a few different lines of genetics, but the key outcome for us is that we are looking for them to be carrying those genetic traits that are really significant in the commercial attributes. So we want lambs that have really great lamb survival. So ease of lambing is really critical for us. Any ewe that doesn't have its lamb all by itself, she's no longer part of the stud. And so we lamb down, as I said, a thousand mature ewes and a couple of hundred maidens each year, and we might assist one or two, and it's usually twins coming at once. Like it's just not a thing anymore.
Rohan Leach: And it's something that you're probably driving past and notice you don't have a set, " We need to check the lambing paddocks at 9, 10, 11." Yeah.
Isabele Roberts: Oh gosh, no. No, no, no. We check the lambing paddocks to make sure that everything gets tagged and birth weighed and all of those maternal checks that we do on the day that they're born, making sure that the lambs are with their mothers. And that's literally it. It's not a check for any sort of lambing issues at all. So that's fundamental to us. Most importantly though, we're looking for ones that grow incredibly fast. That's the purpose of a terminal sire. And certainly when you're putting those genetics into any sort of lamb system, your lamb growing fast is what drives your productivity and profitability. And more recently, what we've started looking at is actually looking at the quality of the carcass at the other end. So that's yield, but it's also the eating quality side of things too. Which we know is never going to be the most important driver of profitability for lamb production, but it certainly is one of those things that will underpin the demand of Australian lamb. And there is a growing percentage of lambs that are now being sold out under measured environments that will also go into branded products. And so we basically want our genetics to be able to sit inside that space. If any of our lamb clients want to produce their lambs for that, we want them to be able to do that. So yeah, I suppose it's slightly different to what Dad was looking at 60 years ago, but I think probably technologies and efficiencies and measurements on farm have enabled us to do that now too.
Rohan Leach: So you've touched on the goals of the stud and eating quality and all those sorts of things. Is growth and just fast- growing lambs really what you're chasing?
Isabele Roberts: The answer is yes. The biggest percentage of lamb to be sold will always be sold under commodity conditions. That's just at the end of the day, kilos of lamb on the hook is what will drive a lamb producer, a meat processor, distribution from that point forward. That is what will be driven from that. So you have to have really good growth in your lambs to enable all of those people to actually be able to achieve what they want. But if you don't have good eating quality, then the potential risk is that the consumer at the other end may not enjoy their lamb as well as what they should. And so there is a potential risk then you might erode your consumer base if you don't look after that. So it's just one of those foundational things that if you look after it well, you can kind of push everything else as much as you want.
Rohan Leach: You can kind of get hung up in the efficiency and growing quick and big and high yielding, but you sort of look at it, lamb is still... It's a luxury product almost. And if you want to be paying for those premiums and get those premiums that you can see in the butchers and supermarkets, then I guess it all comes back to eating quality. You don't want to cut your nose off to spite your face.
Isabele Roberts: No you don't. The MLA's done such a great job, particularly, I'm thinking about export markets more than domestic. But the MLA's done such a great job of promoting Australian lamb that all Australian lamb is good. And so we as genetics developers and lamb producers just need to make sure that we can uphold that promise.
Rohan Leach: Looking operationally, this has been a bit of a more recent question that I've been throwing at people, but just a calendar of operations. Where are you sort of joining, lambing, those sorts of things?
Isabele Roberts: I don't know if Pete's going to get an answer here. So we've got a pretty strict calendar of operations. I can pretty well tell you what we're doing every week of the year, sometimes every day over the year. Getting back to that planning. It doesn't work without planning. If anyone was going to ask what's the most important thing about farming, and probably running any business, but planning is absolute key. Particularly when we're talking about livestock production, because your joining date influences absolutely everything else. So if you don't get your planning in terms of when you're going to join, when you're going to lamb, how are you going to market them, nothing works. So planning is key. So operationally, we have a pretty good calendar that is considered every year before anything really gets put into play. Everybody's aware of what that is. We have a pretty good operational flow in terms of weekly meetings with everyone, including all of our staff, monthly from the decision makers inside the business, and quarterly, again, looking at just business strategy, and then an annual planning that reflects back on what we've previously done before. And then potential changes that we might use from that or potential changes because we think that there might be change in direction in the business. So, yep, that just sounds like a whole lot of meetings, but it just means that everybody's on the same page and it's pretty easy on a day- to- day point of view to get things achieved.
Rohan Leach: And specifically about lambing, joining, those things?
Isabele Roberts: Ridgehaven stud lambing, we have two main lambings. One which is an April- May. We rerun in April- May because our early lambs are the ones that we potentially will start selling out as young ram lambs. So nine to 10 months old come February, March the following year. And then our main lambing happens in the spring, which is August and September. And that really just fits in where the feed availability and the natural cycles of ewes are. Just keep this in mind when I tell you the other lambings as well. That's (inaudible) April and August is at Ridgehaven. Over at Mount Pleasant, which is the commercial and the research program, we have an early lambing for the commercial, which is in a March lamb. Prime purpose for that is that we are looking to get our suckers off at the end of June and July. So a big portion of those lambs, there's a significant push to make sure that they're ready to go at that point. One, because the next little lambs are coming and going to hit the ground. But we lamb then because we want to hit those high prices that are generally there for end of June, July, start of August. So if we can get the first of the suckers in, we can get the best prices. They hit the ground, they grow, they're out, they're gone. That's critical.
Rohan Leach: So a question there, you can be outside primarily of your main pasture growing season, how are you supplementing them there?
Isabele Roberts: Yeah. And that's the core problem. And I'll throw you up Pete, because he's actually charged with the responsibility for making sure there's feed on farm.
Pete Roberts: Yeah. So this is always the compromised position of running a cropping program when meat is your output over grain. So post pre- test. So we pre- test everything. It gives us accurate numbers on how many lambs we would expect for different periods. So the cropping rotation is manipulated post that date. So for this year, we've got quite a small autumn lambing in our stud sheet just on pre- testing results. So we've manipulated our cropping rotation to favor our spring. So more spring forage production. So less grain production, more forage production to accommodate that extra DSE.
Rohan Leach: That's probably a great teaser for what we're going to talk about later in the podcast, but let's get back to the calendar of operations there.
Isabele Roberts: On the flip side of that, our cross- bred ewes, I have quite a few more lambs on board on the ewes than I had planned. And so there were a few crop adjustments that needed to get made to make sure that we've got feed for them. So this is where I say we integrate our decision- making. So one will impact the other, but the whole overall business works because we've got a bit of flexibility in it. So that's the March lambing. And then May lambing is our research lambs, and that's an AI program. So we can have 300 lambs in five days that all need to be birth weighed, DNA sampled, tagged, loved and adored because every single one of those lambs is critically important to be able to get data from. So that's May. And then we have a little break then at the start of June.
Rohan Leach: A few days at the start of June, sure.
Isabele Roberts: Just a few days at start of June. Probably to get a few lambs marked and whatnot. And then so end of June, July is our main lambing for the commercial lambs. So we'll lamb down about 2, 500 lambs in six weeks there. Super important, as Pete said, the preg testing is critically important to us. We do earlys and lates and multiples and all of that. And so, lambing paddocks can get allocated well ahead of time. And so the grazing rotations can be set well ahead of time. We know where our feed gaps are likely to be, based on the nutritional requirements of the animals at that point. And then August is back at Ridgehaven. And Forbes I haven't spoken about much because I don't actually... I'm not much involved in the operational side of that. But Ruth has one lambing, which is a end of May, June, start of July. And about 70% of her Merinos are joined back to Merino ram and 30% are joined to a Dorset just for terminal lambs.
Rohan Leach: Ruth with one lambing sounds like the sensible part of the business minder.
Isabele Roberts: She comes over and helps me. It's okay.
Rohan Leach: And so where do you source your genetics from for your Merino enterprise?
Isabele Roberts: From Roseville Park. So if we go way back, this is like a historical thing of our family. My grandfather, he really pulled the core of our Merino operation together. He did have some Merryville blood way back then, but I think in the last 80... I think Ruth and I were looking at the other day, it's about 85 years we've only sourced rams from one place other than Roseville Park once. And so, look, hats off to Matthew Coddington. He does a great job with his Merino operation, and Ruth sources the rams that she wants when she needs them. And we have some excellent quality wool because of the genetics that going into it and the work that gets done. So I won't speak very much to that because they're really not my bag, but Ruth does a great job and Floyd does a great job with the wool too.
Rohan Leach: Before we all need to take a big deep breath after that busy calendar of operations, I'd love your thoughts on where you see shedding sheep fitting in the industry, and whether they're a competition for you guys, and just the whole aspect of people with maybe composite sheep that were needing shearing and now it just seems that there's more and more types of shedding sheep coming out that don't require shearing.
Isabele Roberts: So I'll start this by giving you a little example. I got sent a photo from a friend the other day of the back of his ute and he had shedding rams in it. And he said, " Look what I've done. What do you reckon?" And my response to him... I had two responses to him. I said, " One, I hope the wool price doesn't go up for you. And two, I hope they grow as fast as the ones that have got wool." Because he's a lamb producer. He's always been a lamb producer. And so fundamentally, he's removed one element of his income, and that's fine because he's also removed hopefully an element of his expenses. And if we balance the two of those out, at least he's come to a zero point. But if they don't grow as fast and therefore he can't stock his farm as well or he can't drive his cash flow in the way that he used to be able to, then there's that potential risk. So that's me responding in a way of, " I hope you've done the right thing." I think from an industry point of view though, why not? If they grow as fast and if you can't actually get that income, and if you can minimize your management of your stock, then a shedding sheep probably makes a whole lot of sense. But there's a great big what if in a scenario that is new, and a lot of these breeds are developing still, and so we haven't kind of figured out exactly what they can and can't do. So I'm not saying it's risky, I'm just saying that there's a bit more of an unknown sitting inside of that. Saying that, we're not going to go into shedding sheep. We really quite like the ones that we've got, and I don't mind the shearers and our shearers come when we need them to, and we get pretty good money for our wool. And so we're happy.
Pete Roberts: There's only one silver bullet. It's not a shedding sheep, it's not a fine wool Merino, it's not a Dorset, there's nothing you can buy that's a silver bullet. The silver bullet is management, and it's your ability to produce a product that you can sell at a premium and be cost- effective in this production. So if you want to go into shedding sheep, you've got to do it well to make money. If you want to go into prime lamb production, you've got to do it well to make money. Silver bullet is management. It's not an easy one because not everyone's a good manager.
Rohan Leach: Which is our truth sometimes. Yeah.
Pete Roberts: Yeah. But the reality is the silver bullet is in your management style. So if you think you can make money out of a shedding sheep because you've never made money out of wool, you're probably not going to make money out of a shedding sheep.
Rohan Leach: That's probably a really good message to end on for today's session. So Pete and Isabele, thanks so much for coming on the podcast.
Isabele Roberts: Absolute pleasure.
Pete Roberts: Thanks.
Neroli Brennan: Thanks for listening to part one of our two- part conversation. If you've enjoyed it as much as we did, you can catch the rest of this chat in our next episode. This episode was produced as part of Central West Local Land Services Adapt Project, through funding from the Australian Government's National Land Care Programme. Thanks for listening. This podcast was brought to you by Central West Local Land Services. Local Land Services delivers advice and support to farmers, landholders, and the community across New South Wales. To learn more, you can find us online by searching for Central West Local Land Services. If you'd like more information about the topics we discussed today, as well as links to relevant articles, fact sheets, events, and other helpful resources, we've added those into the show notes for this episode. You can find them by tapping or swiping over the cover art in your podcast player now. Hey, and while you're there, please leave us a five- star review. It really helps other farmers find the show. I'm your host, Neroli Brennan, and I'll chat to you next time.