Neroli Brennan: This is Seeds for Success, a show where we have a good yarn about ag life with producers who are having a go. On the show, you'll hear from farmers in New South Wales who are out there battling the elements, making tough calls and getting the job done. You'll get a laugh out of some of their stories and also pick up some know- how along the way. I'm your host, Neroli Brennan. Today we're chatting with Ian Clifton, or Harry as he's better known. Harry, along with his family, run a commercial Angus cattle herd on their 12,000 acre property, Karonga, near Coonabarabran, where he uses Wagyu bulls over his Angus females to create a crossbred or F1 steer destined for the Japanese market. In this episode, Harry talks to us about the basis of his operation, his pastures, and how growing slender leaf serradella has helped his difficult and less productive soil types pull their weight. Harry also talks about selling Wagyu animals across different seasons and markets in his eight years of experience in the enterprise. You'll also hear Harry discuss the importance of relationships when marketing his animals, and how in the Japanese Wagyu market, this means creation of a personal, family- based and often lifelong connection with their buyers. Local Land Services mixed farming officer, Rohan Leach, sat down with Harry for this chat after a morning out in the paddock collecting some slender leaf serradella seed.
Rohan Leach: Harry, welcome to the Seeds for Success podcast.
Ian "Harry" Clifton: Oh, thank you.
Rohan Leach: Harry, would you mind telling the audience a bit about your farm out here at Karonga?
Ian "Harry" Clifton: Yes, we've got 12,000 acres, bit more, over two properties in basalt hill country that runs onto the back of the Pilliga Forest and we run a beef cattle operation with Angus cows joined to Wagyu bulls, and over the years we've put a lot of improved pasture in and had quite an extensive fertilizer program. Rohan is here and I'm giving him a bit of a lecture about slender serradella.
Rohan Leach: That's right, mate. Thanks for outlining that topic. We'll jump into that topic a bit more but just like to know a little bit more about your farm. So you've talked about the Pilliga and your basalt hills. It's pretty diverse soil types here, isn't it?
Ian "Harry" Clifton: Yes, where we are, the Warrumbungles are actually a horseshoe and they run around. They start on the western side of Coonabarabran and run around to the eastern side where we are. So it is actually quite steep rocky hills that take a fair bit of management and quite rough and it's important that you keep a fair bit of ground cover on these hills, otherwise the water just runs off into the creek. And then as we meet the Pilliga scrub which runs back towards the highway, Rocky Glen, if anyone knows the area, turn into loamy reddy soils, then eventually just into raw Pilliga sand that was quite a low pH of five and a bit sort of thing.
Rohan Leach: We're just driving around this morning and yeah, it's pretty amazing to see the transition and how quickly it can go. You go from this beautiful, fryable, black soil to sand within a couple of footsteps it seems at times.
Ian "Harry" Clifton: Yeah, that's right. And you get a lot of sifton bush and wattle grow on that sand, which takes a bit of management but it is good country for serradellas and Consol lovegrass and Premier digit grass, so you can make it productive. Yeah, it's one of those soil types where you can't run out of money because it just needs constant attention and the basalt country subsidizes it a little bit from time to time, trying to keep it productive.
Rohan Leach: Almost hydroponic. You've got to put every ounce of fertilizer in to get something out.
Ian "Harry" Clifton: Yeah, that's right. Yeah, it just needs a lot of single super. Every three years we try and put single over it and Mo super probably every seven or eight years and we've got techniques of pulling the sifton bush and wattle down probably every seven or eight years. It's just a constant thing. And look, even that sifton bush is not that bad because it grows up and then you pull it over and then there's ground cover on the ground that rots away over the next five or six years. It all helps, really.
Rohan Leach: That aging workforce in rural areas is a bit of a problem, isn't it?
Ian "Harry" Clifton: It is actually. It is. Look, I've employed a lot of backpackers over the years. Over the years we've had some fantastic ones and we're still in contact with them all these years later, but they generally only stay for three months. But constant retraining young people is hard. Getting older people actually, I find is actually quite productive. I've got an older lady on at the moment and she's 74. She came here when she was about 55 or six, but her and her husband had run their own business and it's just amazing when someone's run their own business, how much they get what you need and don't need to do. I actually think the older generation can actually be more productive and better on your gear than younger people who just don't have that experience of financial management.
Rohan Leach: They've got a lot of independent thinking as well. And it's probably a bit of an art to not over bossing those sorts of people. Let them do their own thing.
Ian "Harry" Clifton: Well I do get in trouble from micromanaging from time to time, but I do try to be the bottom of the food chain when you're running the farm. Yeah, if you can let them do their thing and I know they probably don't think so, but I do take on what they say and their advice and listen to them and not all their ideas will get legs and fly, but yeah, some of them yeah, I think that is a good idea. We're going to do that.
Rohan Leach: You alluded to before that there is some pretty tough soils here and we've been talking this morning about this Coonabarabran region. I'm glad we took your Land Cruiser around this morning because while it is beautiful, there's a fair bit of up and down and creeks and gullies and constant weed spraying is a thing. It sounds like a pretty tough environment at times. Why do you farm here?
Ian "Harry" Clifton: Well, I often think I would like to ask my grandfather, who turned up here in 1920 after the Second World War, and of all the land he could have come to, I don't know why he came here. Over time, the Clifton family have learned how to farm this country and be quite profitable. It is a real skill to do and yeah, you do need larger holdings where we live, because it's not quite as good. But larger holdings can be very profitable in good years. You can really punch a lot more income out because you don't have the ability to run at maximum speed all the time. So when you have the good times you can really put a lot of weight on your cattle and that's just all to the bottom line. And you tend to not get in trouble with droughts as much because you've got a bigger area and cattle can't walk into every corner but they tend to in dry times just go up a few dry gullies and top of hills they wouldn't have otherwise been. And I think look, we have a very good community. That's a very important. Coonabarabran is just under 3, 000 and it's far enough away from Tamworth, Gunnedah, Dubbo to be its own independent town. And I speak to a lot of people from bigger regional centers and they say, " We don't know anyone in our town." Whereas in Coonabarabran, everyone seems to knock around together. There's no split in the community at all.
Rohan Leach: You mentioned just then that income and your cattle, probably a big part of that is your pastures. And I first met you a couple of months ago at a pasture field day when you were very passionate about your pastures and you've said, " Come out and have a look at my slender leaf serradella." So how long have you been growing slender leaf serradella for?
Ian "Harry" Clifton: It was recommended in a mix from Pulp Freeburn when we sowed some country we'd cleared, some Pilliga scrub country, in probably early nineties and I'd never heard of it. Anyway, we put it in and then several years later it just appeared everywhere. It was just climbing all up through the sifton bush and growing in really wet, swampy areas that often you get in the Pilliga, and also in the dry areas. It just seemed to fit everything, and it's such a long season variety. It gets going in the autumn but you don't get a lot of production till the spring, then it really bounces away. And if you get a year like we've had this year, which is quite wet and cool, it'll still be producing feed in January. It's staggering. And the other thing I like about it is that cattle spread it really easily. We put it in one 300 acre paddock and it's basically got all over our farm, all over our lighter country in that time. We have sprinkled a little bit around from time to time, but it is an amazingly productive variety and it just doesn't get any airplay. I'd like to buy more seed but it's just unsourceable.
Rohan Leach: Slender serradella is different to your French serradellas and your yellow serradellas. It's probably more suited to even some of these really tough, sandy soils, water- logged soils as well. What have you found to be the biggest benefit of it in your system?
Ian "Harry" Clifton: Especially on those very bare soils, it'll grow on quite acid country, and it's such a good ground cover, just crawls all over. It's such a prolific seeder, even the seeds are ground cover, there's just so much of it there. I think it's the most productive of all serradellas in my mind. I don't know why it doesn't get more airplay or why it's just seemed to have fallen off the radar by these commercial seed companies. And it's why at the field day, I was trying to bully you guys and a few those seeds wholesalers there, you got to get this stuff going. There's money to be made here.
Rohan Leach: Well we'll see what we can do. It's probably the most productive on your country of all the serradellas. Do you use this as part of a mix?
Ian "Harry" Clifton: Yeah, sometimes it's called McFarland serradella, which was this old guy up at Narrabri and he used to strip it somehow and I used to go and buy bags of seed from him. Well I can't find him anymore and I'd like to buy more and I think everyone should be growing it. That's why I'm trying to encourage some sort of production of it. But it'll be interesting to see if it does. You've taken home a Woolworths bag full of it. So if you can get it going in trials and just see if it does grow everywhere else. Perhaps it's just quite unique to our environment or that sort of Pilliga soils. Maybe that's its home. I think it can make a lot of people very wealthy farmers in the future.
Rohan Leach: Maybe in a generation we'll be calling it Harry's serradella. So how do you get the best out of it, Harry?
Ian "Harry" Clifton: I think we probably should be liming this country because our pH is quite low. But I mean another alternatives just grow varieties that are quite acid tolerant and you don't have to worry about the lime. Certainly, Consol and digit grass, they grow, they're quite happy to grow in those soils and if you've got something like this slender leaf serradella, it can be as productive as any other in your lighter country than growing clovers and if you're going to all that great expense to buy lime and putting it on a ton to the hectare, adds up to a lot when you could just buy a bag of this slender leaf and solve all your issues.
Rohan Leach: So it looks pretty magnificent even now in December. It's starting to dry off a bit, but as you'd expect with a winter annual. Looking good in a wet season, how did it do in the drought?
Ian "Harry" Clifton: It'll germinate every year. You don't see a lot of things but it certainly is there and you get a bit of ground cover and look, they do get a nibble at it and sometimes I wonder how, if it's setting enough seed to germinate the next year because they just chew it into the ground. But it is such a prolific seeder. There's no worries. Once you've got it, you're never going to lose it.
Rohan Leach: Just that hard seeded nature of it is also a big help of why it's so resilient and persistent. While it might seem that every grain has come up, only probably 20 or 30% at the very most might have come up. So there's just so much in the seed bank.
Ian "Harry" Clifton: Yeah and look in dry times that's very hard on those poorer soils to get any production and this gives you an opportunity to get at least a mouthful and of something green anyway.
Rohan Leach: So you've mentioned it grows in well, it's got a good system with Premier digit and your Consol lovegrass. You've also got a lot of natives and plains grass and I saw some red grass and other things growing today. You've got a bit of an interesting system on how you sow some of your tropical grasses. Do you mind just talking through that?
Ian "Harry" Clifton: Well yes, on our basalt soils it's in total madness. Forefathers tried to crop this country in years gone by and look, I think in the sixties and seventies when wheat was worth a hundred dollars a ton, if you get a ton to the acre, a hundred dollars a ton, that was a lot of money. You could buy a new car for $800 so you didn't need a lot of tons to wheat to be profitable. But as time gone on, wheat's probably only tripled in value in the last 50 years. So it's certainly not profitable anymore. So we do have a lot of old farming country that went back to native passes a bit and what we're doing now is just putting two knockdown sprays over that, late winter, early spring.
Rohan Leach: And knocking down with Roundup?
Ian "Harry" Clifton: No, just we'd normally put two liters of Roundup on and 500 mill of ester and then we've got a rock hopper. I don't know how many people are familiar with that, but that was a machine that was produced probably 15 years ago and we happened to get one from our neighbor when they sold up. And it's an amazing machine where it can just crawl over all these rocks and logs that we have here and just cuts a little disk groove in the soil and it just drops the seed in the groove and some of it bounces out on the ground, and it does take a fair bit to get that digit out of the ground. It does need four or five days of really moist soil. But the last couple of seasons have been fantastic for that and we've had some great success in getting digit going on basalt soils, which is not always recommended for, but once it gets going, there's no better plant for that. Hopefully over the years to come we'd nearly have all our farming country and now we're just hoping that we'll get over our hills and just see what we can do. Just put little pockets of it in everywhere.
Rohan Leach: Normally on further west, maybe some more arable country, I'd really advise people to probably crop for several years to tidy things up. But it's fascinating to see what you guys have done here. You're obviously having a fair bit of success with just a single season of a knockdown.
Ian "Harry" Clifton: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it does break a lot of rules and all that. I think the issues with it, if you do farm it and disturb that soil, you will get a lot of weeds come back. So our idea is just to knock these native grasses back enough for two or three months while this digit is getting established and once it's got its roots down, it takes a lot of killing after that. And then you just end up with a mix. You have your natives and probably 50% of it is digit grass and it tends not to take over on your basalt soils as much as it does on lighter country.
Rohan Leach: That's probably one of the problems of digit is that it gets too thick and stops those legumes from coming in.
Ian "Harry" Clifton: Yeah, that's right. If that black soil dries out, it'll just sit there, the digit. Whereas those natives seem to be able to respond a little better to lighter falls. So it's good to have that mix.
Rohan Leach: We might just move on to the money maker of the operation. You're running a F1 Wagyu and Angus operation, correct?
Ian "Harry" Clifton: Yeah, that's true.
Rohan Leach: So what are the main things to get round your head or probably for advice for other producers, compared to a standard beef breeder operation?
Ian "Harry" Clifton: Running Wagyus, this F1 operation, does take a little bit more management skill, not a lot more, but you've just got to be aware that you can't run... Well, I know people do you run a commercial Angus herd beside your Wagyus is really hard because there aren't too many fences that keep Wagyu bulls in. So you're then caught buying replacement Angus heifers every year. But that's okay because your Wagyu cross heifers you sell make more than your purchase price for your Angus heifers. So you're always in the market every year looking for replacements. And also you've got to have an outlet before you even start thinking about it. You've got to have somewhere to go, because there is a very small market and it gets oversupplied really easily and undersupplied really easily. So it's quite a boutique market, so you've got to have a connection of where you're going to sell these cattle, and if you get caught in a dry time, you just can't put them in the sale yard like other cattle. You just can't offload them because you just get smashed. They are very specialized. They've got to go into a feed lot and be on feed for around that 400 days before you can sell them. And our steers go to Japan on a boat and they're on feed for 540 days before they get slaughtered. So you're in a network with your buyer. So we are suppliers to these people and they rely on us to supply cattle every year. Particularly dealing with Japan, they like to have a very long connection with their suppliers. I can tell you a funny story that we had the Japanese come here probably it'll be seven or eight years ago now, and they turned up and we talked, a bit like we're talking now about our operation. Then they started asking me the history of our farm, how long we'd been on this farm, what our thoughts are for the future. And then they started talking to our son who was in year six at that time and they started asking him questions. See, just meet these guys. We actually had a little pet kangaroo at the time. He was bouncing around him, which was a big hit. And in the other interesting fun fact, my wife is a school teacher and they praised her highly, as teachers in Japan are thought of very highly and they are right up the society tree. If you're a school teacher you're considered a very important person. But anyway, they started questioning our boy and after they'd left or the conversation had finished, I asked this Matt Edwards from Edwards Livestock, who purchases our calves. And he said, " Oh look, I should have warned you. The Japanese, when they do business, they do business for a long time." And we were standing around the garden. He said, " See those two guys standing under that tree over there, they've been doing business since 1795. One owned a shop and the other one owned a little killing works in Japan in those times, used to hang it up in a tree. And so now they are major retailers and an enormous abattoir chain. When you do business with Japan, it's like working for Toyota. You do it for a lifetime." And so they just wanted to make sure that if they're going to take our cattle, we're still going to be here in a hundred years time. And that's the way that Wagyu industry works. You can't be jumping ship in and out because you just will find no home for them.
Rohan Leach: That's a long- term feeder option, but it's also a long- term business option.
Ian "Harry" Clifton: It is. Sometimes you can't get your cattle in to the feedlots when you want to because they get oversupplied and they do their best to accommodate you. You've just got to be patient and wait your turn. The return probably is 30 or 40% more. But as I say, it's not for everyone. And you've got to be prepared to work with your purchaser and be patient enough to just roll with the seasons. And more often than not, you're always getting a premium. But there are times when the Angus price is actually better than the Wagyu price. Sometimes they'll set it 12 months in advance and sometimes six months in advance they'll set the price and there is no negotiation, there's no market fluctuations. That's just going to be the price for the next six months.
Rohan Leach: So, do you sell your progeny as get them to a certain weight range or it's time or how do you decide when to sell?
Ian "Harry" Clifton: The steer calves which go on the boat to Japan, they've got to leave the farm around 270 kilos. Remembering that the weight gain of a Wagyu is not what it is of beef cattle. So we generally weigh them at 300 kilos full weight and then by the time they get up to the quarantine feedlot at Oakey, they're about the right weight. You get a per head rate of them, there's no cents per kilo for them. They just pay you per head. And I think this year it was around $2, 700 but I know there's going to be a fall for next year. The next time the price comes out it's going to be less than that and they go into quarantine for three weeks and then they get on a boat and go to Japan, which takes 11 days. And then they go in quarantine in Japan. So by time they actually get on the feed in Japan, they're probably only weighing about 230 kilos. And so they don't do any good on the boat and they don't do much good in quarantine either. They only want to just keep them ticking over, not trying to fatten them. And then the heifers, they go to a feedlot at Condamine called Lillyvale and you get a cents per rate for them, which is somewhere between say $ 7 a kilo up to eight or $9 a kilo. So it's good two or $ 3 a kilo better than commercial Angus.
Rohan Leach: Than the current prices.
Ian "Harry" Clifton: Yeah.
Rohan Leach: What sort of growth rates do you expect out of them? Are you an autumn or a spring calving here?
Ian "Harry" Clifton: Yeah, spring calving and they're probably doing 0.8, 0. 9 kilos a day maybe, hopefully. Whereas your commercial cattle are probably doing 1.0, 1.1, 1. 2. They tend to also be a lot more difficult to handle. They're very bad behaved children when they are young and as they get into adolescence they actually tend to grow a brain and they're a bit easier to handle. I often say you do need round paddocks when you run Wagyus because they just all pile up in corners and jump fences. And so there is a bit of skill in handling them.
Rohan Leach: They sound a bit belligerent, maybe the goat of the beef industry, are they?
Ian "Harry" Clifton: Yeah, they are. There's no doubt about that. And the other trick is they are so fertile. Oh my god, we actually spay all our heifers now because we just can't stop them getting in calf. They'll get in calf on their mother, and the bulls, they break all the rules you ever knew about beef cattle, testicle size and big rumps and these are just very small testicles, they're very athletic and they just turn up in the most amazing places. And so you've got all your heifers ready to go and you find a bull in them so then you have to give them a prostaglandin and abort the calf before they get on the truck. Yeah, as I say, there are good returns in it, but there is also a higher degree of management.
Rohan Leach: With your replacement heifers, do you see much better calving ease with the Wagyus is?
Ian "Harry" Clifton: Oh, without a doubt, yes. In fact, I don't even know where our calf puller is anymore. Many years ago we had Herefords and we used to wear calf pullers out, and then we went to a (inaudible) cross Hereford and that commercial cow, and yeah, we still pulled a few, but with Wagyus, they just slip them out. It is amazing. They're just little cats when they come out.
Rohan Leach: So is there anything in particular that you look for when you're buying your bulls?
Ian "Harry" Clifton: Well that's the other thing. Our supplier, when we need new bulls, they work out our marbling scores and how things are going, because it's all about marbling scores. It's nothing to do with the frame of the animal. And they will supply us with the bulls that they think we need. And so you just say you want three bulls and they'll just turn up in a truck one day. So that does save you several days of year of work going around bull sales trying to purchase bulls.
Rohan Leach: Do you get any feedback from the suppliers about how your animals are going and anything that you can improve on?
Ian "Harry" Clifton: Yeah, no, that's a constant. At least once a year we all go Toowoomba and they give you your data and how things are going, and they want a marble score around six to seven. So if you fall in between four and eight, you're doing okay. It's a bit hard to adjust anything here. It really is about the genetics of the bull and once they leave our place, they go to a feedlot and then the feedlot actually has a lot of influence on the marble scores, how they feed them. And even killing when they go to the abattoir when they kill them, if they don't chill them slow enough, at the right temperature, that can nearly knock a whole marble score off. A lot of people have influence on your final data, but I think if cattle get a bit of a setback it does take a long time to turn Wagyus around and so you've got to just keep them constantly going and yeah, supplement feed them when you have to, which is about all we can influence really.
Rohan Leach: How long have you been breeding Wagyus for?
Ian "Harry" Clifton: Look, I think we started about 2007 or eight or something. Something around there. Yeah, they'd been around for a while and I'd sort of toyed with the idea. And when we got involved, there really was no commercial outlet for your heifers, it was only the steers. And that slowly developed because most of the heifers now go into the high end restaurant hotel trade and export to Singapore, Middle East markets. With the steers, they basically go to that Japanese market and mainly only in the supermarket trade in Japan because all their high- end stuff is full blood Wagyus, which the Japanese produce, and a few Australian producers. They get exceptional marble scores. We have been to Japan, been there twice. You have to go there and speak to the Japanese and look at what they're doing and they give you tours and talks. It is a real connection between supplier and processors and supermarkets. Theirs is a whole different eating experience compared to what we produce.
Rohan Leach: What I've got from this conversation is just a relationship that you've got with the buyers and that it's a really long- term thing. Mate, for my final question I like to ask, what do you think the big issue is in Australian agriculture at the moment?
Ian "Harry" Clifton: I think, well there's quite a few issues actually. Let's start with the price of land. There has been a real spike in land prices and it's going to be a real issue in years to come in succession planning, in trying to get young people back onto the land when prices are so valuable. Especially they've got a couple of siblings involved or as a young bloke trying to start out. And that feeds in with the aging workforce in the land. The average age of farmer gets a year older every year.
Rohan Leach: Every year, yeah.
Ian "Harry" Clifton: When I started out, the average age of a farmer was 50, now it's 65 or six or something. I don't know what it is. But better commodity prices and better seasons, I'm amazed how many young people have come back on the land. So there is some hope there. I am not one of these climate change skeptics. I think that's a real thing, but I think it's a real opportunity for farmers. There's money to be made in climate change and we really can, if they can find a way to get carbon-
Rohan Leach: Soil carbon or carbon accounting.
Ian "Harry" Clifton: If we can get some reward for laying down soil carbon, I think this is going to be just another source of income.
Rohan Leach: Beauty mate, I love to end on a positive note and I think that's a good one. So Harry, thanks for coming on the podcast.
Ian "Harry" Clifton: Oh, thanks very much, Rohan.
Rohan Leach: And hopefully we can maybe get Harry's serradella in the botanical books maybe.
Ian "Harry" Clifton: Yes. That's it.
Neroli Brennan: Thanks for listening. This podcast was brought to you by Central West Local Land Services. Local Land Services delivers advice and support to farmers, landholders and the community across New South Wales. To learn more, you can find us online by searching for Central West Local Land Services. If you'd like more information about the topics we discussed today, as well as links to relevant articles, fact sheets, events and other helpful resources, we've added those into the show notes for this episode. You can find them by tapping or swiping over the cover art in your podcast player now. Hey, and while you're there, please leave us a five star review. It really helps other farmers find the show. I'm your host, Neroli Brennan, and I'll chat to you next time.