Neroli Brennan: This is Seeds for Success, a show where we have a good yarn about Ag life with producers who are having a go. On the show, you'll hear from farmers in New South Wales who are out there battling the elements, making tough calls, and getting the job done. You'll get a laugh out of some of their stories, and also pick up some know- how along the way. I'm your host Neroli Brennan. Today we're catching up with Ambrose Doolan. Ambrose and his wife, Lisa, run a commercial Angus cattle enterprise, as well as a small stud bull operation, along with some fodder cropping on their property, Tirawundi near Coonabarabran. In this episode, Ambrose talks to us about the opportunities and challenges of family farming in the Central West, and shares with us how the failure of conventional farming in his environment 20 years ago led him to adopt minimum tillage, and then to become the first Australian importer of Seed Hawk Air Drills. You'll also hear how he lives by the philosophy of don't see a need without doing something about it. Which has led him to being very involved with community and local council where he now proudly acts as the mayor of the Warrumbungle Shire. Local Land Services mixed farming advisor, Rohan Leach, sat down with Ambrose over a cuppa for this chat at Tirawundi.
Rohan Leach: Good day, listeners. Today I'm with one of Coonabarabran's most well- known characters, Ambrose Doolan. Ambrose, welcome to the Seeds for Success podcast.
Ambrose Doolan: Good afternoon, Rohan. Thanks for coming.
Rohan Leach: Ambrose, I'd like to start off by getting you to tell the listeners a little bit about your operation here at Tirawundi.
Ambrose Doolan: Yeah, certainly. Together with my wife, Lisa, we run mainly cattle operation, Angus cattle. Commercial cattle is the main game, but we do have an Angus stud called Isla. And we take a great deal of delight in breeding some nice bulls and some nice cows. We do a bit of farming mainly for oats for the winter to fatten our cattle and the odd bit of grain, bit of canola just depending on how the season's going.
Rohan Leach: And how many bulls do you put up?
Ambrose Doolan: It'll be just over 30 this year. We kicked off breeding them many years ago and just a few for our own use. And then the neighbors used to buy a couple. And then we had enough to hold a small sale with about the 30. I think we've got 70 coming along for next year. The numbers starting to build up a little bit. That's where Lisa, she's just off to give those a bit of a mix there now. The oats is a little bit behind where we should be this year, so week or two's time they'll be able to go onto the oats, but we're just giving them a bit of a hand in the meantime to keep them going.
Rohan Leach: Driving in this morning, it's Coonabarabran's looking pretty dry, isn't it?
Ambrose Doolan: We'd like it to be a bit better than it is. We're a bit less than we normally would be. And then a bit of a blue on my part. We weren't ready to go. And when it was time to sow the oats back in February, we had a couple of jobs to do on the Cedar. And great friend of the farmer in our part of the world is Bob Freeborn, who listeners would all know and love. And he's always been very strong on that. Some years you'd just get one chance to put the oats in and if you miss it, you're in for a tough winter. And we did and we are so we'll promise not to make that mistake again.
Rohan Leach: That's it. Your timeliness of operation's so important. It's important with livestock and sheep particularly, but in cropping I just can't seem to stress enough to some growers how important it is to get your sprays on time, get your seed in on time.
Ambrose Doolan: That's right. And then that old fall of rain makes us look like good operators too, which we just haven't been able to jag this year.
Rohan Leach: That's it. An inch of rain at the right time makes a difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer. What are your soil types here and at your Tirawundi?
Ambrose Doolan: Well, we've got a bit of everything. Closer to the river, we've got some sort of sandier loams. A bit further away, you'd either red soils, probably the predominantly red soil we have here. And 50%, 25% sandy loams and the other 25% of chocolatey brown stuff. Fair bit of stone. That's what Tirawundi means, rows of standing stones. We've got a bit of rock in our country. And you can just see this year that lighter country with the lighter falls of rain that we've been having, it's kicking a bit of a go where the heavy country's not.
Rohan Leach: You did point out that to me and the difference is chalk and cheese this year.
Ambrose Doolan: It is. Yeah.
Rohan Leach: And so the pastures on your place, is it majority improved country or is it you've got a fair bit of native pasture?
Ambrose Doolan: All top dressed. We've just been a bit behind where we should be with our fertilizer the last couple of years, but that's again a legacy of our mate, Mr. Freeborn. He really pushed that onto our district, how you can turn light soils into really productive country by the use of fertilizer. And in conjunction with that, we were consol lovegrass on our lighter country and later years we moved on to more digit, which we think is a better grass. And lucerne's been a big part of our job here over the years and that's got a bit behind in those dry years. We lost a few paddocks of lucerne, so it's up to us now to get on and plan a bit more pasture than we have done. And to that end, we're just doing a bit of quite a big program subdividing a few of our paddocks. They're a bit too big. And that'll allow us to get on and pasture improve those paddocks. And then graze them a bit more efficiently rather than setting them on there and setting the cattle on then leaving them for too long.
Rohan Leach: How big's too big? How big are you cutting them down to?
Ambrose Doolan: Well, the paddock that the fellows are in there at the minute, there's 128 hectares of cultivation and then some big rocky knobs. There's probably might be 160 hectares in the paddock and we are cutting that into four. And then the next job there's another paddock, there's 170 hectares that we've got into oats. And there's probably another 40 hectares of rocky knobs and railway line and bits and pieces there. That one, we'll cut that into five or six. Then you don't have to put on five or 600 head of cattle in one mob. And then if you want the big ones out, you've got to go through all of them where if we can draft them, put them on and have big little and small heifers and steers run the joint a bit more efficiently than we have been.
Rohan Leach: Is the terrain here pretty mountainous or is it more gentle slopes?
Ambrose Doolan: It's slopey. Anything along the river's flat. And then as you get up a bit we have some gentle slopes. Yeah.
Rohan Leach: And does that make any headaches for fencing?
Ambrose Doolan: No, not too bad. I did ask the people giving us a hand with that and they said, " Oh, no, this is good here compared to other places like Coolah," so they're happy enough. It's all good.
Rohan Leach: It sounds like you've got a pretty summer rainfall dominant system with premier digit and consol and lucerne. Have you got any winter growing varieties or species that you go for?
Ambrose Doolan: Oh, just the sub clovers and arrowleaf and things like that that we put into the mix. That's been our mainstay. And in a normal year, looks after us pretty well. Just a bit tougher this year, so lagging behind where they would normally be.
Rohan Leach: It sounds like you're a bit more focused on your livestock than your cropping enterprises. Why is that?
Ambrose Doolan: Well I think that's where the money is for us here. We used to do quite a bit of farming, but I think it's probably better to leave it to folks like our son, Mick's, out there where it's flatter and you can get a bit of a go on. Where if here, if you're not going up a hill, you're going down a hill. And it's just a matter of there's just only so many hours in the day. We are quite busy with the number of cattle that we run. We've got a full dance card most days.
Rohan Leach: It's just more of a soil type and climate selection.
Ambrose Doolan: And a bit of lifestyle choice too, Rowan. We are busy enough with the cattle. It's the farming can take all of December up if you've got wet harvest and things like that, things you need to be doing. And so we've just made a conscious choice to be more livestock and less farming.
Rohan Leach: Now you've touched on it there briefly. Your son, Mick, who has also been on the Seeds for Success podcast, what does he think about his father following in his footsteps coming on today?
Ambrose Doolan: Well, we can probably blame him, but Lisa and I, we're very lucky. We've got two children, there's Mick and their daughter, Emily, and they both followed us into the farming caper. Mick and Pip are out at Canable. And Emma and Joe are at a lovely block next door to our other place. And they're all involved in what we do here and it's very special and we are very lucky that they're a part of what we do. And that was one thing during the dry weather in 2018 and 19, it was pretty solid here. That's all we did for two years was feed things. And it'd be easy to get down in the dumps and think, " This is always us." But one thing I really was conscious of how lucky a fellow is to have his family interested in doing the same thing and we're all doing it together. That's how we were able to get through a pretty tough time as a unit. And hopefully I'm not launching into another one now.
Rohan Leach: Yeah, fingers crossed for that. It's a pretty privileged position that a lot of farming families are in to be able to work and see their family every day and being the business. How have you found working with your son and daughter? How has the dynamic been there?
Ambrose Doolan: Oh, it's been good. I wouldn't have had crosswords with Emily when she was here full time more than a couple of times really. Only a couple of arguments, lost them all because she knows what she's talking about. And similarly with Mick, he's a good man. And so no, it's been good and I think if everyone gets a chance to have a say and their views are listened to and taken board of, I think that it seems to work. I don't know, we seem to muddle through. We get by. My dad didn't want me to be a farmer and I can see why at times because it is, it can be tough. And he said, " Oh, just go and do something else." But then when I said to him, " What do you think if I come back and work with you when we finish up at school?" And we both went to the same school down there in Bathurst when I said to him, " Can I come back and work with you when I finish school?" And then he just said, " Well, that'd be good." And that's as it got. Here we are 40 years later. And I think it'll continue on, but all the grandkids are pretty interested in what we do too, what their parents do, what their grandparents do. That's something that will continue on.
Rohan Leach: Going into your Isla stud operation, what are the genetics based off?
Ambrose Doolan: Initially we bought a couple of cows from Milamura be 20 years ago now. Mick was still at school so we went down and bought a few cows there and we bred up a little bit from there. And then a couple of other studs as they were selling out and they sold all their stock. We went and bought a few cows here and a few cows there. Usually if we're getting some extra genetics in these days we buy some embryos, but we've bought a couple of nice heifers and a couple of nice cows off again, Milamura and some their progeny from other places, Brook Lana. And it gives us a lot of pleasure to be able to look at a cow and then be able to purchase her and then join her to something and then see those calves come in the future. It really gives us a lot of joy. And we'll sit here of an evening when the new sires come out in the springtime and different semen companies will have a video presentation that they'll put on about all the new sires that are coming up for this year. And Lisa and I'll sit in the kitchen with a nice glass of red and just watch those and take notes. And it's where people have simple pleasures and that's as good as a good night out.
Rohan Leach: That's almost impossible to explain to people not from agricultural backgrounds that the sense of enjoyment or satisfaction in breeding animals or that farming other enterprises bring to agricultural people, isn't it?
Ambrose Doolan: No, it is. It is really is wonderful. There's a horse over there that's in fo to a pretty handy stallion that is the great- granddaughter of one that I broke in when I first left school. We've kept that and Mick and them rode the progeny of that at Pony camp when they were kids. And in the future their kids will be able to ride the progeny of that when they go to pony camp. Well, they're going to pony camp now. That's special and there's something in that. That's what we do, what we do. It's not often about the money, which is just as well sometimes, but there's more to it than just the financial rewards. It's all of that connection to what's gone before and what's coming after. And we are very lucky to be in the middle of it.
Rohan Leach: We've gotten very philosophical very early in this, Ambrose. I like it. With your stud, what's your breeding objective?
Ambrose Doolan: What we are looking to do as us, we were just breeding bulls for our own use to start with and now obviously want to sell them to some other folks. But just functional cattle that easy birthing. Our philosophy's there's no good fixating on how big a 600- day weight is if they don't get through day one. That's you've got to be able to good carving ability. And then the other things we look for high growth after that. A little bit of marbling, not too much, we want some fats on their ribbon rump because we think that aids with fertility. And then they're the figures we look at. And then it's just the animal itself, that just that shape that appeals. And not too big a mature weight so that they're not eating you out of house and home. And yeah, they've got to be able to perform here. And the market we have been using for our commercial cattle for a long time is the feedlot job. We're just the characteristics that we want to sell our cattle to the feedlot and they thereafter that growth and bit of marble and some yield in the cattle. And just talking to the feedlot, JBS is the main buyer of our cattle. They're happy enough with what we do and they've got feedback that they give to us and share with us that tells us we are on the right track. We'll just keep muddling along, poking along the way we're going.
Rohan Leach: Sounds good. I mentioned before that you're pretty well known in the Coona District. Why would that be?
Ambrose Doolan: Lived here all my life, I suppose. Just a couple of years away at school and then back here to work on the farm and been here ever since. I think what you're dabbling at is I've got the...
Rohan Leach: You have picked up that I'm angling. Yeah.
Ambrose Doolan: Yeah. Currently the mayor of the Warrumbungle Shire, which is a great honor and a great privilege. That's a job with a big responsibility and it adds a fair bit to the workload. But so far I've got the forbearance and support of Lisa and everyone else here who chips in and covers for me when I'm tangled up with council duties.
Rohan Leach: Yeah. How have you found being a counselor?
Ambrose Doolan: It's great. Yeah, there's a lot you can contribute so that you can hopefully brings some improvements to our community, but it's a pretty stressful job too at times. We've had different issues that have confronted the council and I've just thought of times, " Geez, why am I tangled up in this? This is just, I've got enough stress at home without this." But it is good if you can navigate your way through those things which we haven't been able to do so far and get a good result. That's satisfying, that's important to get an outcome that will benefit our community.
Rohan Leach: Obviously there's a big time commitment there. How do you find the balance between your own farming business and serving the community?
Ambrose Doolan: Well, technology's a great help here these days. Since the COVID, a lot of meetings that would've been face- to- face and our Zoom. I can do those in the tractor spraying in the cattle yards. You just got to remember when you're doing them in the cattle yards to get the mute right. And when you're...
Rohan Leach: Not swearing at dogs or workers or
Ambrose Doolan: Well that's right. The odd word might pop out at the black devils when they're not cooperating. You don't need that broadcast to all and sundry down the line.
Rohan Leach: What are Lisa's thoughts on your involvement in council?
Ambrose Doolan: Mix is probably, mix would be a good way. I know in 2018 there was an election for the mayor of the council then, so I became a councilor in 2016. In 2018 there was an election and Lisa said to me, because we were in a world of pain with the drought in '18 and she did say, " Do not come home from this meeting as the mayor or there'll be trouble." I took my advice there and then got the mayor's job in 2020. And then there was an election in 2021 for all the counselors again. And as luck would have it was on Lisa's birthday. And she did say to me that I could give her no finer present than if my name wasn't on the ballot paper. But anyway, I managed to get the okay and put my hand up again. And was lucky to be reelected as a counselor and then in turn reelected as the mayor.
Rohan Leach: You must be very persuasive then if you can convince others that maybe council is for you in fact.
Ambrose Doolan: I don't know if persuasive is the word, but I'm just lucky that I've got a good off- sider in it's a good game as we're discussing the farming game and it's nice to have all our family there. But there are times and it's pretty tough. Those last couple of years were pretty tough and '18 and '19. And I'm very lucky to have someone who likes being a farmer and is good at it too. And understands that there are good times and there are sometimes that are pretty tough. And we're not a bad team.
Rohan Leach: That's really nice. Mate, you've got a big focus on community. Why do you see that as important in a rural setting?
Ambrose Doolan: Oh, well, it's not that many of us out this part of the world, Rowan. We're pretty lucky in our part of the world that people do hook in and help in the community. And that's an example from both of my parents who are both very community- minded people, mom especially. And it's just following on from what they did, which is don't see a need without doing something about it. That's the way we were brought up. And that's just continued on here. Whether it's involvement with the kids with the pony club, what they're doing or junior rugby or senior rugby when I was playing that. And I was involved with Cooinda, which is our aged care retirement village in town here for 20 years. And what I always liked about that was it was set up by, I think it was the Presbyterian minister originally kicked it off because his mother- in- law had to leave town to get some care. And I thought, "Well, this is not on." They set up that and some old farmers and ministers and that got in and set up this wonderful organization we got in town here. And at the minute it's 3% of the town works there and 3% of the town lives there. It's a big part of our community this Cooinda. And it's got everything you need, whether it's just independent living or dementia specific or nursing home hostel. And what I liked about it in the early days was that everybody got the same amount of care. If you've got some money, you've got some assets, well they would like to invest those assets and take the interest while you are living there. Your family get most of that, nearly all of that back when you pass on. But if you are someone in the community who doesn't have any money, you get the same treatment, the same room, the same amount of care as someone who does. And I just think that's great. Things have changed a bit with the way the government regulations in latter years, but that's always been a wonderful way for our community to stick together so that you could be a wonderful community person all your life. And then at the end of your days when you need some help, you have to go to Dubbo, you have to go to Mudgee or you have to go somewhere else. Well, you don't have to do that anymore. You can stay right here with all the people that love you and they can come and look after you in your own town. That's a good thing. And then just got tangled up with council because a couple of people, my next door neighbor cornered me here and said, " Why don't we run for council?" And we did. And still in the job seven years later.
Rohan Leach: I think you've outlined there with your Cooinda, the aged care and just the importance that getting involved and the impact that can have on a rural community. Probably nullifies my question a bit, but do you think that the bush is slowly dying?
Ambrose Doolan: No, our population here is static, so I suppose that's not dying. I think we've had a couple of people, especially in our business in the farming business, we were pretty lucky that my friends' children, they follow their parents into the farming as well. we've got a lot of those coming back in the last few years and that's wonderful to see. I always took a great deal of delight there. One of your previous people you did was my mate Harry Clifton. And I was just thinking on Saturday I couldn't get into watch the rugby, I was just busy here feeding cattle. And Harry was doing the commentating with another good mate, DJ. But listening to the footy, though a lot of the names are calling out were sons of blokes I played footy with. And that's really special too, to hear those fellows good names go around as they're running around and I can just think about all the good fun times I had playing with their dads. Yeah. I think just in our part of the world, I think we're holding our own rather than dying. I think we are holding our own and that's a good thing to see that young people want to come back and give agriculture a crack. That is great.
Rohan Leach: Just going into the next topic, I find it probably interesting that you've got such a big focus on your livestock enterprise, whereas you've actually got a bit of an interesting aspect to your farming in Seed Hawk Planters. Been given a bit of background info that you know a thing or two about them. Why is that?
Ambrose Doolan: Well, we used to import them, Lisa and I for a while before they set up their own franchise out here and kept us on. We got into it a bit accidentally. Be 20 years ago this year, after dry time, we had all our country farmed up conventionally. And as I was saying, it's a bit hilly here. And we just finished planting in April 2003 I think it was. And we had five inches of rain one night, dirt up against the fence, complete mess. And I thought it was really quite upsetting to go and look at that and I thought, " Well, we can't afford to have that keep happening, we need to change the way we do things. So we need to get into this direct drilling caper." And we looked around for a planter that might be suitable and we'd go to Agquip and we went to Orange and we went to all the fieldos. And we just couldn't see something that we thought we could bring home here to our hard setting rocky dirt that we wouldn't break. And as luck would have it, we were just driving up the paddock one day and we noticed our neighbor was using a little 10- foot wide Air Seat and it just had the tines on or the openers on it that I'd imagine that that's what we needed. I spoke to him and I said, " Where did you get this thing from? This is fantastic." And he put me onto the soil conservation down at Wellington. And so I contacted them and I said, " Where did you get this thing from?" And they put me onto Seed Hawk in Canada. We sent a few emails to these characters over there and nobody replied. Then I worked out if I made it overseas phone call before, worked out how to ring Canada and gave these cowboys a phone call over there and spoke for best part of an hour to them on the phone. And I thought Lisa will have a fit when she sees the phone bill, but it was only seven bucks I think as it turned out. Anyway but they said, " No, you're too far away. We don't want to sell you anything, we've got all we need here." I would ring them every week and pretty pleased them with persuasion that you were talking about before. Eventually they did agree to sell us one. There was a bit of mucking around in getting the first one through customs and quarantine, which didn't need to be. It was just dealing with the wrong people. Eventually when you deal with the right people, there's some people in the world that want to help and some people that don't. And when you find the right people, eventually we got it was only four phone calls and you'd get a machine from Saskatchewan to Coonabarabran, four phone calls. Simple when you talk to the right people. But anyway, we got the first one delivered down in Sydney and the Wolfie people gave me a call and said, "Are you Ambrose Dulan?" And I said, " Yeah, mate, that's me." He said, " Do you know how many parts are in this container?" And I said, "I don't know, there's got to be a few." And he said, " There's got to be 10,000." And there was a few salty swear words thrown in. And he said, " We are not unpacking this. We're going to send you up the container and you unpack it." And I said, " Well, I've only got a curtain sided truck down there." And he said, " Well, send him away and get someone with container pins." Anyway, the container came up here and there wasn't two bits of steel welded together. They just as they cut it all out in Canada and threw it in the container. A local bloke here, Richard Murphy, gave us the hand to weld it up and paint it up and we got it going. And then the first year that we used it was a dry autumn and our crop came up pretty well. And then our next door neighbors noticed how well it came up and they said, " Can you get us one of those?" And then we did a bit of contracting work for a fellow to help pay the machine off and the farmer liked it. He said, " How much to leave it here?" Accidentally we got into selling them that way. We left that one there, sold that to him and sold one to the neighbors and then went on from there.
Rohan Leach: It's a fascinating story. I would like to hope that the new ones that you get in aren't in 10,000 bits and the importation process is a bit more streamlined.
Ambrose Doolan: We're a bit removed from that now. We don't have to do that. They come in mob called Land Power bring them in now, and Joe, the son- in- law sells them now. Yeah. He just ordered and it comes complete. We did suggest to Seed Hawk that why don't you put them together like a big Meccano set? And they said, " Well, you are the only person we export them to. Why would we change just for you?" And then mob called Vaderstad from Sweden came along and bought half of their business and they wanted to sell them to Europe. Then they had other customers that wanted them. They did make them. That's how we got stuck into that. When we were talking about buying the machine back in 2003, I did say to Lisa, " Buying a new machine's a bit of a big step," and her words were, " Let's go for it." So we did. We bought that thing. in the future when we'd have 10 machines ordered and four had only been delivered and three weren't built. And it's all stress to get them done before planting started, I'll always throw that back at her and say, " This is all your fault. If you hadn't have said, let's go for it, we wouldn't have had all this trouble." But it was good to be able to build the bigger ones. The bigger ones, the 80 footers they're eight meters wide down the road, which isn't a problem in Canada because the agricultural machinery gets priority on the roads, so they don't care how wide it is. But it's a bit of a trick down here. Eight meters, you're in a world of pain in Australia. We would build those on farm. Often I'd be away for weeks at a time and Lisa kept the wheels of industry ticking along here. And we'd be home for the weekends and get a bit of farming done or what are we doing and then go back and build them some more when we were trying to get on a bit. And the smaller ones, we'd build those here and just put them on a truck and deliver them. Mick was telling me when he left uni, he went to Canada for a year, worked on a farm over there and they wanted to shift their windrower to their other property, which is a 100ks of oil or something like that. Mick asked them where the comb trailer was and they just thought that was hilarious. They said, " What do you want that for? Just 30 foot wide front, just drive it down the road. What do you want a comb trailer for?" Oh, geez.
Rohan Leach: You've talked through, they're a pretty versatile, bulletproof machine, that's why you've used them on your hard and tough soils and conditions. What are some of the other benefits of the machine?
Ambrose Doolan: Well, it's just ability, well it'll dig, so it has to be able to dig, but the contour following of the ground. Each opener can travel up and down 20 inches probably so it can follow the contour of the ground. And then the wings on the machines, they've got a ground following ability too. Between the openers going up and down and the wings following the contour, if you want to plant at 10 mills deep, she's 10 mils deep right across the whole machine. That's what it's good about, the accuracy of where it can place the seed. And then also the thing that I always used to tell people, we don't sell machines, we sell emergents. We get stuff to come up and was I saying to you before, we made a bit of a blue this year not being ready to jump when the oats was ready to go back in February. I remember planting all of our oats on the lease country one year and it all came up nice and early. And a lot of my mates put a bit in but then thought it was a bit dry. We had it all in. And if you think about waiting six weeks until the next rain came, that's 42 days. If you've got a beast putting on a kilo a day at say four bucks, that's 28 bucks, is it, a week. Six times that, it's 150 bucks. That's proper money. You've got to really take that opportunity. That what we're saying there before, time is king, you've got to get it in. If you can get it in and up where other people aren't, that's a big difference. I know we sold a machine to a fellow, we became pretty good friends with him over time. He didn't know me from a hole in the head to start with, but we sold him a 60 footer down south of here and he had 7, 000 acres of farming. Two blocks 100ks apart. He put the first 4, 000 acres in all right. And then he had a bit of tractor trouble. And only on 20 mills of rain, he had a bit of tractor trouble. The time he got to the other 3000 acres, it was a month after the 20 mills. I went down and had a look and I said, " It'll come up. We'll just do a little bit." I said, " No, put it all in. It'll be right. It'll come up." And it came up so well that we had a field day then and got people to come and have a look. And the night of the field day there was another inch of rain in the district. A lot of people planted some more on that inch of rain six weeks after he'd done his planting. And he told me that that 3, 000 acres yielded 11 bags to the acre. It's a bit old school for some of the young folks, but 11 bags to the acre.
Rohan Leach: A bit under a ton to the acre I think is the conversion.
Ambrose Doolan: Yeah, that's the conversion. And the stuff that other people planted on that rain in June, it went three bags. He just said to me, " 3, 000 acres times an extra eight bags is a free machine." He said, " You gave me the machine, I paid for it one year." That's nice when people can tell you something like that.
Rohan Leach: Is there any other situations that it's maybe not as well suited to?
Ambrose Doolan: Oh, look, they've had their troubles with, they leapt into some super technology with sectional control that was probably needed to be workshopped a bit more, but they've got that under wraps now and that's really quite good. That'll be the next thing we'll go to with them with the sectional control. Like every boom space sectional control now. If you can do that with a planter.
Rohan Leach: With your seed and fertilizer.
Ambrose Doolan: Yeah. We've got a paddock up at the other block. The boom spray makes it 110 hectares. The planter makes it 140. There's 30 hectares that don't exist, but you're chucking 150 bucks of fertilizer at it plus seed.
Rohan Leach: And then on those areas that you're double sowing, the plant establishment is not what you want. It's twice as thick. You could be looking at decreased yield there or higher screenings in those areas.
Ambrose Doolan: Yeah, that's right. Or in a good year might be lodged, the crop will lodge with extra fertilizers will tip over. It might go too well. It's less than ideal. That's what we have our eye on to do next is get one of them with the sectional control. It's a good thing. And we had a machine here that they got us to trial that had finish the field. You can just tell the control, set it up that when we finish this paddock, I don't want any seed left in the box. And it will say to you, " Okay, well if that's the case you wanted 50 kilos to the hectare. We don't have quite enough for that. We've got enough of 46." Oh, okay, righto. We'll go at 46 and the box will be empty when you finish the paddock. Rather than it's always think, " Oh, look at this thing, I've got half a thing to get rid of," or whatever.
Rohan Leach: Or run out when you've got three hectares left. Yeah, no. That's very cool.
Ambrose Doolan: That's pretty cool. I do like the sound of that.
Rohan Leach: Yeah, cool. Ambrose, I've had an absolute cracker today. Before we wrap up, my final question, I like to ask our guests, what's the big issue in Australian ag at the moment?
Ambrose Doolan: You hear a lot of people struggling to get people to help on the farm, so that's big. We rely pretty heavily on the people who work here with us and we'd been strife if they weren't here. That's probably a big issue where the next lot of people come from. And I think that's something that we need to be working on to tell people who live in the city that it's pretty good out here. And you don't have to be born on a farm to be involved in agriculture. Mick's got some mates from school that done pretty well in the agricultural field and they come from Sydney. But wanted to be involved in agriculture and then found a good career that they can do out here. I think we need to work on our city cousins a bit more, that it's all pretty good out here. And you don't have to be fogging yourself six or 700 bucks a week to rent somewhere. You can come out here and have plenty of room and a bit more in your pocket than you will do in Sydney. I think that's something.
Rohan Leach: Well, I think if with the powers of persuasion that you've got, I think you are probably the right man for the job, Ambrose. Ambrose, thanks so much for that. I love that answer and thanks for coming on the Seeds for Success podcast. Right, mate. See you.
Neroli Brennan: Thanks for listening. This podcast was brought to you by Central West Local Land Services. Local Land services delivers advice and support to farmers, landholders and the community across New South Wales. To learn more, you can find us online by searching for Central West Local Land Services. If you'd like more information about the topics we discussed today, as well as links to relevant articles, fact sheets, events, and other helpful resources, we've added those into the show notes for this episode. You can find them by tapping or swiping over the cover art in your podcast player now. Hey, and while you're there, please leave us a five star review. It really helps other farmers find the show. I'm your host, Neroli Brennan, and I'll chat to you next time.