S1: Hi.
S2: I'm Chris Porter, creator and co-director of Solar. This is a story where every answer asks more questions. It's a fully staged sonic experience of cinematic proportions. So especially if you're driving, be prepared for voices and sounds all around you. Dig deep into the ever evolving environment through our weekly episodes. And in between, you'll find short bonus audio assets.
S3: That will clue.
S2: You into pivotal perspectives here on Earth due to strong language. This program is intended for audiences over the age of 13. Solar is best enjoyed on headphones, though. However you choose to go on this mission, we encourage you to immerse yourself in this journey to the heart of our solar system. And now.
S3: Solar.
S4: You create the.
S5: Moment.
S4: Where I get hurt. You gotta make certain things happen. Parker No.
UU: No, that's right. Not now. Anthony Oh. We?
S4: Take your seat. I'll take a picture. Thank you. Thank you all for being here. I know it's a difficult time for all of us. My name is Felicia Bryant, and I am the serving director of public relations for the North American Space Coalition, NASCAR, following the untimely passing of Dennis Altman. Joining me is the eighth on mission control flight director. After our hearts here at NASCAR, go to those impacted by the solar flare two weeks ago. We extend our thoughts and prayers to those who died and those who lost loved ones as a result of the flare. And we pray for a quick end to the rioting all over the Western Hemisphere. Mankind will rise above, as it always has. Mr. Patel, NASCAR located the eighth on two days ago. Mission Control identified its solar orbital position on April 4th, 2045, at 11:32 a.m. coordinated universal time. However, we have not established contact. Apart from locational pings, there have been no data transfers between mission control and the eighth on following the flare. In addition, we have not been able to identify any evidence of steering or propulsion that would clarify the functionality of the craft. Please wait until we open the floor for questions. We won't answer any questions until six seven. Men and women on board, the eighth on and you only care about one.
S1: Tanya was largely considered the face of the mission.
S4: There are seven people on board the Ethan, and as far as I'm concerned, they're all alive. Please continue, Mr. Patel. They were rule altitude. Thermonuclear reactor appears to still be functioning to some extent. However, as the Ethan is currently orbiting the sun at a fixed altitude free from normal gravitational orbit. In layman's terms, Mr. Patel, the Ethan has power. The engine is keeping the ship at a fixed altitude, not relying on orbit. It was designed to keep the Ethan and Semtex equipment on this side of the sun in sync with Earth's orbit, which is why it doesn't orbit as fast as Mercury. But now the Ethan isn't moving with us. Given our current trajectories, the eighth on an Earth will move to opposite sides of the sun in roughly seven days. And at that point, we will lose any opportunity to contact the Ethan for almost a year before the Earth on an Earth can make direct contact again. We we will continue to monitor the situation and hold out hope for the mission's seven potentially surviving crew members. Potentially. We remain in touch with the families of those on board and ask you to respect their privacy. At this time, we will open the floor for questions. A public alert instead of informing the White House or the Canadian prime minister first. We only had 20 or 30 minutes from the eighth on distress call to the flare arriving on Earth. It was determined the warning was best directed to the public to take individual protective measures. Yes, over there. What is this doing to prevent this in the future? This isn't something we can prevent. We can only prepare for any of the crew members at fault. All protocols were followed by both NASCAR and some tech crew members. Not for such a common solar flare, it's ridiculous. Question We have no power over the sun. Listen to yourself. We have no control over solar events, not taking any steps to help in the recovery effort. Obviously, we will do whatever is requested by the Canadian and United States governments to the best of our abilities. They have access to the few remaining lines of communication that we. They're giving resources. Where do you want us to do exactly? We are the North American Space Coalition. We are responsible for your phone lines or the power grid. We don't control the universe. I apologize for Mr. Pertell to apologise for replying, Miss Bryant. What are the odds of survival for the UN crew? We won't speculate on those circumstances. I'm sure you can understand. They are. And I quote Mr..
S1: Old Men.
S4: The farthest away from earth any human being has ever been.
S1: Even if they did survive, is it realistic.
S4: To believe they could be rescued? Again, I refused to speculate. Would saving them even be worth it? Does anyone have any other questions? And you know, it means we're going to do everything we can. Mr. Putnam. No, no, you. What is your name? Christian Yancy. US headline. Mr. Yancy. These men and women have risked their lives for their knowledge and science and our understanding of the universe and what may have been their final moments. They warned us about the flare. They are heroes. We will bring them home, if you can. Your problem.
S1: All right. I'm just trying to do my job.
S4: You're being insulting.
S1: I'm being.
S4: Realistic. After these past couple of weeks, I personally don't think anyone should be waiting for miracles. I agree. Mr. Patel. There's no such thing as miracles. But this won't be a miracle. It'll be a triumph. Now will bring them home. Do you understand?
S1: And are you going to partner with Centex in this triumphant rescue effort?
S4: Marian Technologies is our partner on this mission. Three crew members were specifically placed on this mission by Semtech. Of course, they want to rescue this crew just as much as we do. Moving Are you implying that Semtech wouldn't.
S1: Want to help in a rescue effort if it was only.
S4: NASCAR crew members? Of course not. Correct me if I'm wrong.
S3: It was Semtech who paid for most of the mission.
S1: Yes, Semtech bailed out NASCAR after the downturn, so maybe they out of.
S4: We have reached out to Semtech and are awaiting a response. Are you saying you haven't.
S1: Been in contact with.
S4: Semtech since the flare? We have been in contact with Semtech for months. No, no, no. We've been picking up anomalies, shudders and erroneous readings for almost a year now, and we've been reaching out to Semtech for answers over and over again. And we haven't heard a thing. Just silence. They're refusing to answer us their feedback. Listen, if any of you have a way of reaching Semtech.
UU: Tell them to come and talk to me. I'm going to bring my crew home and I'll work with Semtech if.
S4: They want any of our crew to come back alive. Wait. Are you implying Semtech doesn't want the key.
UU: To return a line? What do you mean, anomalies? How long did you believe the it would endanger?
S4: My apologies to the rest of you on behalf of Mr. Patel and Mr. Yancey was.
S5: As an operating system timer failure has resulted in terminal error. Audio packets are unable to be compiled chronologically. Please reset AOS Internal Clock. Manual Whiskey Foxtrot 156. Delta two. Emergency Audio Packet 22 Dash Alpha 2425.
S1: Kurt Coe Media Presents. Solar. Episode one The Pilot.
S5: Post Solar Event Approximate Mission Day 547.
S3: Safety restraints set by restraints on.
UU: It can feed on reactor turbine. Standby on remote.
S3: Joystick control for reactor repair.
S5: Arm control on standby.
S3: Thank you, Ali. Please disable all standbys from the last 30 seconds.
S5: Yes. Pilot Jamal Davis.
S3: Reactor. Okay.
S5: Yes, pilot Jamal Davis. I detect no irregularities.
S3: You never do. But with the flare, you detected it. You track the system overloading, but you didn't feel it.
S5: I am unable to answer the question.
S3: You didn't feel the surge? The explosion?
S5: I feel no pain.
S3: And the glitchy.
S5: I am unable to answer the question.
S3: Sexual harassment. Yeah. Okay. Shut out, Jamal.
S5: What are you working on, Jamal Davis.
S3: I'm writing some auxiliary programming.
S5: Auxiliary programming can be quite extensive. Can I assist you?
S3: No, I don't think you're up for it, Ali. You keep forgetting where the sun is.
S5: That doesn't sound like me.
S3: It doesn't. And the sun is right out there. I can see it from my window. Point is, I need to write this programming myself. You're broken right now, Ali.
S5: I am broken.
S3: There's something wrong in your code that I don't have time to fix.
S5: Why do you not have time to fix my code?
S3: Because I'm going to run out of oxygen in about five days. So I need to prioritize what I do with the time I have left.
S5: And you need to prioritize the auxiliary programming?
S3: Yes.
S5: Can I assist you with anything?
S3: He can leave me alone.
S5: How long would you like for me to leave you alone?
S3: What is this? Why are you being so talkative today?
S5: You have declined ten of the last 12 messages from Dr. Ron Guerrero.
S3: Yeah.
S5: So you are isolating yourself, okay? Isolating oneself, following a personal trauma may indicate depression, anxiety and or a mental could.
S3: This d all of the above.
S5: I am programmed to help humans to my fullest extent.
S3: I know.
S5: I want to help you. Even if I'm broken.
S3: Okay. Let's do another recording. I'm going to keep typing, though.
S5: Who is this recording for?
S3: I don't know yet. Just go ahead and start recording. Chelsea. So. Never mind. But Jose, delete that and start a new recording.
S5: It has been 5 seconds and you have not begun a message. Would you like to terminate the recording and begin again?
S3: No, no. I just need to talk. Figure out what I want to say.
S5: Do you not know what you want to say?
S3: I do. I just don't know how to say it.
S5: How can I assist you in how to say it?
S3: You can't. It just takes time. You got to let it come out naturally. Let it find its own words. You got to start walking before you know the destination.
S5: Oh, is this recording for?
S3: I don't know, Ali.
S5: Would you like to terminate the recording and begin again?
S3: No. Just keep it rolling until I tell you to stop. Okay.
S5: Yes. Pilot Jamal Davis.
S3: Please don't call me that. Especially now.
S5: What would you like for me to call you?
S3: I want you to call me Jamal, but I know that I don't rank high enough to.
S5: Protocol to address pilot Jamal Davis.
S3: As Jamal, you said, I did it rank high enough to override naming protocol.
S5: You do now. I do. Yes, John.
S3: I saw two ghosts dancing last night. They are ghosts. People freak out about that word, you know. But I don't know what to call them. Or as manifestations. Visions. Hallucinations. Maybe. Maybe aliens, I guess. But Wren got really angry when I suggested that. But I'm seeing something. I will start with Eli. I've seen 11 ghosts in 15 days. Ever since the flare. This was my first time seeing two ghosts at once again. I know they aren't Ghost. Don't go telling random claiming they're ghosts.
S5: I watch them all.
S3: But these things. They were dancing. I think they were holding on to each other, moving slowly, almost like sheets in the wind, at least the way sheets look in the movies in real life. They just hang there, you know? What the hell am I talking about? We had a dry year growing up. I've never seen laundry drying on clotheslines. I was just trying to be poetic, Pamela. To do that. Right. I've never wound up a car window. I've never saved things to a floppy disk. But I know the icon. At what point is my understanding of the world? Just what I've been told it used to be. Maybe ghosts are just dead people who haven't realized they're dead yet. The ghosts are humanoid is the word, but they're made of light, like hundreds of overlapping strands made of blue gold fiber, glowing threads woven in the shape of a human or an outline of where a person should be, but moving all the time. Internally restless. Outwardly calm. Just like dancing, I guess. Paused. Recording.
S5: Recording, paused.
S3: Ali, can you run my program in simulation mode?
S5: Running auxiliary programming in simulation mode. Auxiliary programming simulation has failed.
S3: Can you bring back up the coding and show me the line where it failed? Thanks. Unpause. Recording.
S5: Recording, unpaused.
S3: I forgot where I was. Just like dancing. I can. Yeah. These dancing ghosts or whatever they are. They were in the loading dock, formerly capsule five, now the nothing in the centre of the earth before it was ripped in half the temperature of 108.5 degrees. This isn't what I want to say. I'm going to try again. Let me just.
S5: Drinking water will decrease your oxygen supply.
S3: No, Ali, thank you.
S5: Who is this recording for?
S3: Still don't know, Ali. I grew up in Cape Canaveral. Did you know that?
S5: I didn't know that. Yeah.
S3: Of course you did. I miss the sound of the ocean.
S5: I have 52 unique recordings of the ocean.
S3: Ali, please. I appreciate you mentioning it, but every wave is different. There are 52 different sounds.
S5: I have 52 unique recordings.
S3: I get it, Ali. Thank you. Please just let me get through this and try to figure out how I want to say it.
S5: Okay, Jamal.
S3: When I was ten, I and my friend Chelsea, she convinced me to go and watch a space x launch with her. My mother said I wasn't allowed to go. We were still in the pandemic and she didn't want me to risk exposure. But I had to go. So I snuck out and Chelsea and I rode our bikes for something like five miles to get there in time. We have to fence to get a little closer and away from everyone else, but still far enough away that no one was patrolling. You could feel the roar of the engine inside of your chest. Even from far away the light from the engines. Just cutting through the sky, illuminating and blinding all at once. The wide column of smoke shooting straight up to heaven like the holy smoke from the temple being sent to God.
S5: Are you religious?
S3: No. But I like the poetry in it.
UU: Restraints on. Display can't.
S3: Feed on reactor.
UU: Turbine standby on remote joystick control for reactor the power on standby.
S3: You okay, Ali?
S5: Yes, Jamal.
UU: I'll continue. I'm going weightless.
S1: I feel it. The reactor arm video reactor.
S5: On video feed only available in capsules.
S3: That's fine. Still, I. Joystick control. Thank you. Grabbing the rotary drum.
UU: It reads, I didn't.
S3: Stepping myself into the chair.
UU: Grab the coaches drum drop grabbing.
S5: All systems are nominal. As on audio packet from Mission Control 30 5-1 2040.
S4: 318 This is Mission Control Flight Director R Patel Mission Day 35 Audio Packet one. The day the eighth one. Leaves Earth Orbit. This is the first audio packet communique for the eighth UN mission. And as a matter of confirmation, I am reaffirming that official radio communications have ceased between the eighth on and mission control until the eighth and has returned to Earth orbit. Radio communications can be sent in cases of emergency, but responses can take up to 5 minutes at present and can take 20 to 30 minutes as the eighth on approaches the sun. Commander Tolley, in your response audio packet, please confirm receipt of this packet 30 5-1 and acknowledge the new procedures of radio communications and manual echo echo victor five three. All right, business out of the way. I just want to say how proud we all are. I'm jealous. I'm excited. I can't wait to see what happens. Congratulations. Included in this packet are a few messages of note. There's a joint statement from the US President and the Canadian Prime Minister, along with one from the head of NASCAR, Fred Choo. A message from Public Relations Director Dennis Altman, one from the head of Semtech Ellis and Logan, and then a few personal messages for some of the crew. Three for pilot Jamaal Davis. Please ask him to limit his responses to under 5 minutes per recipient. He's not good about that. Also, Alex, there's a cute message from your school, Tully Elementary, and some well-wishes for their and colony. It's pretty cute. You might want to share with the others. Uh, let's see. There are some annual updates. A patch that should fix the bugs between the AOS and just this bionic arm. And. Oh, and we've reached out to Alden at Semtech. Regarding the outlier data you picked up, I know Margaret wasn't concerned, and neither are we. Our guest is that it's just a ghost in the machine, if you will, some glitch from starting up the program with Allie without all four of the solar satellites or payloads in position and activated for the Semtech experiment. I'll let you know when we hear back from Semtech. All right, Nathan, as always, be careful. Do your job, get home safe, change. The world will be here for you every step of the way.
S5: You have selected to play the classified message for Dr. Ren Guerrero. Please enter the four digit security code. Now play a classified message for Dr. Ren Guerrero.
S4: Wren Since we're switching to the audio packet communiques, we're shutting down the secure wireless communication we were using with you away from Semtex. Access will reopen it if circumstances change. Good luck. We're counting on you. Godspeed.
S5: Post Solar Event Approximate Mission Day 547.
S4: Ali, please confirm.
S5: Insult has successfully.
S4: Been replaced.
S5: Filter has been replaced successfully replacing bank.
S4: I want to take the safer street.
UU: We're with you, Mr. Ball. Don't give up.
S4: Don't let go. Please, Jamal. I want to talk to the police. We need you. We can't do this without you. Please, Jamal. Through three actor, please. So be there. Please. Please. I need you.
S5: All systems are nominal.
S4: Okay, Ali?
S5: Yes, Dr. Guerrero.
S4: Contact Jamal. And release safety. Restraint.
S5: Restraint?
S4: Really? No, Ali, it hasn't released. Try again.
S5: Restraint. Released?
S4: Still no Ali.
S5: Jamal has declined your contact. What do you like to leave him? Another message?
S4: No, I wouldn't. And I don't want him to know. I got stuck in the harness again. Okay, so don't tell him.
S5: Yes, Dr. Guerrero.
S4: How long it takes me to undo and redo these straps. Ali?
S5: The longest you have taken to replace the straps is 21.5 4 minutes.
S4: Okay, well, that was my first time. I'm faster.
S5: Now. Yes, Dr. Guerrero.
S4: Ali, take note of all scientific readings throughout the on life support data, reactor readings, sim tech payload monitoring for whatever their experiment is, monitoring everything from the past 5 minutes timestamp all of it loading to the kudos on earth.
S5: I am unable to locate mission.
S4: I know. Just put in the queue.
S5: An operating system timer failure has resulted in terminal error. Audio packets are unable to be compiled correctly. Please reset RSA Internal Clock. Manual Whiskey Foxtrot 156 Delta two.
S4: I've read it, Ali. There's nothing in there about how to fix the problem. Just please. Loaded into the queue.
S5: Data lock loaded into two. All readings are nominal given current conditions. Dr. Read. Get it? Are you sure you would like to transmit log when connection has been re-established?
S4: Yes, Ali. Stop asking me if I'm sure about things. I'm sure.
S5: Yes. Dr. Wren. Get out of here. Ali. Yes, Dr. Wren.
S4: Guerrero, pull up Jamal's current readings.
S5: Jamal currently has enough oxygen and water for approximately 6.35 days. If he limits oxygen, enter a capsule cooling system usage.
S4: And if he doesn't?
S5: Approximately four.
S4: Days. Four days. No decimals.
S5: Approximately 3.8.
S4: Six days. That sounds more accurate. When did you write yourself optimistic programming day 400? Ali I wasn't serious writers of some sarcastic programming when you had the chance.
S5: Dr. Record at Don't. 109.2 degrees Fahrenheit, 4.2 degrees Celsius.
S4: Here we go. Much faster on the restraint releases.
S5: Safety restraint. One is currently nonfunctional. Please relay safety.
S4: Yes. Thank you, Ali. I'm aware. Ali, please let the current queue distress call. Mayday, mayday, mayday. This is the eighth on solar flare x 45 should be able to power system and nuclear core overload resulted in onboard explosion stopping the delayed distress call.
S5: Are you sure you want to delete the distress call?
S4: I'm sure, Ali.
S5: They want to record a new distress call.
S4: Yes. Have we lost any hands?
S5: I am unable to answer the question.
S4: How many ants are there?
S5: 632 or 633.
S4: Why is it or.
S5: I am unable to answer the question.
S4: At this point, Ali, it's all rhetorical. It's always rhetorical.
S5: How would you like for me to respond?
S4: Begin recording a new distress call. Recording. Mayday, mayday, mayday. This is the eighth on the mission has gone critical on day 532 of Avon's mission, March 21st, 2045 at 1832 hours coordinated universal time UTC, the Avon was in the middle of deploying an activating payload for of the Semtech gravitational time distortion experiment. Right. Ozzie and Holly were launching the satellite be a spacewalk. Aquino was in capsule four in the medical bay. Her commander to all these orders. I was the onboard commander during the walk. After issuing an alert to Earth the eighth, I was struck by the largest solar flare and coronal mass ejection recorded to date. The CME overloaded our systems. The payload, which hadn't fully deployed, exploded and blew out the center of our ship. Compartments for the seven were destroyed. Flare was pointed directly at Earth and frozen. And maybe you don't have a way of reaching us anymore. Maybe we were alone. I don't know what kind of a priority there would be in rescuing us anyway, but. There were six of us left. I don't know if I'm allowed to say it, but there were seven, then six and now two. Pilot Jamaal Davis and me. We are trapped on separate sides of the ship. I'm in compartments one through three. I have the living quarters. The central computer mainframe, the supplies. And I have a functional airlock and one remaining spacesuit. For what it's worth. Pilot Davis. However, Jamal is trapped in compartments eight and nine. He has access to the reactor, but no equipment to be able to do anything about it, even if we needed it to. He has no airlock, no spacesuit. With the explosion of capsules four through seven, we have no way of making in-person contact. We are separated. We only have radio communication whenever a shutter happens that shuts down the reactor. Schmalz jumpstarting it himself using camera feeds and machinery controls that I no longer have access to following the explosion. Obviously, if Jamal doesn't make it, I'm screwed. And Jamal claims he's been seeing. Ghosts that aren't actually ghosts. I think you might be hallucinating. He'll run out of oxygen within a week. So. Jamal has given up. In his mind. He can die fast in comfort or slow in agony. But I'm going to find a way to save him. I want ask him to last as long as he can. It's selfish, but I don't. I can't. If I was alone. Ali, please delete the recording after he'll run out of oxygen within the week.
S5: Delighted.
S4: As I am on the side of the ship, the formerly held supplies for seven individuals. I have the potential to survive an estimated two or three years. Lucky me. I'll be pleasingly. Lucky me.
S5: That was sarcasm.
S4: Yes. Ali.
S5: Lucky me. Delighted.
S4: And then, Ali, the eighth on language interface has been glitching. She's been glitching the whole mission. But obviously it's been worse. Following the event for Control, Ali's emergency protocol was activated, so I can't even read. Listen to the disaster to see what went wrong. I'm going through all the NASCAR manuals, but even the ones Ali directs me to have proven useless. I also just been thinking about time. It took us over a year to get to the sun, and I'll be on the far side of the sun for just as long. Given my supplies and how long it would take to launch a rescue effort from Earth if there still is an Earth and if they want to save me, I have roughly five days to contact Earth before it's too late. Ironically, most of the ants are still alive from the Tali Elementary School experiment. Is that ironic? So sarcasm is difficult, but you get dramatic irony.
S5: Dramatic irony is based, in fact. Sarcasm is based in falsehood.
S4: Cool. Thank you for the English lesson.
S5: That sarcasm.
S4: Yes, Ali. Please, please send the wrong person. Not worth it. Delete this recording.
S5: Are you sure you want to delete the recording?
S4: Yes, Ali.
S5: Recording. Deleted. Would you like to record a new distress call?
S4: Give me a minute.
S5: Yes. Dr. Rangitoto.
UU: Searching for mission control.
S5: Praise Solar Event Mission Day 74.
S1: Guerrero Commander. I'm just coming in to grab some coffee.
S4: I had Allie make about a while ago. Help yourself.
S1: Sent in, Ron.
S4: You know why.
S1: It's two in the morning.
S4: I'm aware, Commander. Thank you.
S1: And now by the you for a moment.
S4: Yes, Commander.
S1: May I sit down?
S4: Um, yeah. Let me put it this way.
S1: No, you don't have to do that.
S4: I do. I'm sorry. I have to.
S1: Understood. For some reason, when they told me I'd be the bridge between NASCAR and Semtech, I thought I'd be able to help things unite people, bring organizations together for science.
S4: And what do you think now?
S1: Bridges are lonely and exhausting.
S4: So you're a glass half empty kind of guy?
S1: No, definitely not. I'm a half glass kind of guy. Do you know that if you had dinner with the rest of us, which is what I wanted to talk to you about.
S4: Having dinner with you.
S1: Having dinner with us? Most of us eat dinner at the same time so I can be a part of the team. We're all working together. We may as well break bread on occasion. Right. When no one knows what to think of you. You joined late. You keep to yourself. You work into the night alone. Never talk to anyone.
S4: I talk to just.
S1: Because you have to. We all do.
S4: I have a lot of work.
S1: It's an invitation. An order. Okay.
S4: Thank you, Commander.
S1: Alex.
S4: Alex. What is a half class guy?
S1: I call it like it is. It doesn't matter if you see it as empty or full. It's a half glass.
S4: Seems pedantic.
S1: We're scientists. We have to be pedantic. I.
S4: I mean, do you have a particular way of talking?
S1: I was born in the United States, but I spent the first decade of my life in Scotland. The farm there went belly up, which was an early sign of things to come, I suppose. But we moved to Alabama, got a new farm, and about a decade later came the real downturn. When that farm failed, I left and joined the Air Force. Which are all great examples of the glass thing I'm talking about. Farm stops working. I get to see the world downturn hits. I join the Air Force. I fly unimaginable aircraft. I see the whole world. I get to be a commander. What you need to know before you can make an argument of half full or half empty is whether you're pouring or drinking.
S4: Hmm. It seems so obvious now.
S1: Clear as mud and as a half glass guy, I'm compelled to say that this coffee is terrible.
S4: I mean, that's on only. How can you drink this? It keeps me awake when I need to be.
S1: I was working on status reports from Mission Control. I've got a couple of days behind. A little because of Margaret and little because? Well, I got behind. What about you?
S4: My research is very involved.
S1: I have said you are a hard worker. Thomas Chesterfield, the guy who had spy before you. He was a guy who would take his time.
S4: What was he researching?
S1: DNA and gene mutation monitored over a long space mission with artificial gravity and close interstellar occupancy.
S4: The upshot is that not important.
S1: NASCAR didn't think it was important enough. They reduced and simplified this experiment and handed it off to Jezza.
S4: Is that the and thing?
S1: Oh, the ed thing. No, that's just a PR stunt. The whole experiment is just to see how many survive. And I don't think the school even has an accurate count to begin with.
S4: That seems important to know.
S1: Not really. Listen, Allie, how many ants are there in the habitation nest? 633 C 633.
S4: Were you close with Chesterfield?
S1: Not terribly.
S4: I meant, did you mind me joining the mission sweep?
S1: Oh, I absolutely did. Okay. I was with Jamaal on that one. Both Jamaal and I wanted to stick with Thomas. We knew him. We trusted him. And I always favor people I trust.
S4: But you made it seem like I wasn't a problem.
S1: I had to.
S4: Why?
S1: The bridge thing. Remember? An hour of asked me to trust him. And I always favor people I trust. It's a curse. What can I say?
S4: Can you tell me anything about some text research?
S1: No, no, no, no. That's classified. I had to sign my life away just to find out the bare minimum of what? Sumerian technology. You can.
S5: Be vague.
S4: Since they need their satellites to be synchronized with Earth orbit. It must have something to do with capturing large quantities of energy. No emissions?
S1: No. I have to work between Semtech and Nasdaq. I can't tell you anything, and I can't tell Margaret anything. I understand. But you also don't have to ask me for help. What do you mean? Ali can rent have access to the power readings recorded during Semtech experiment?
S4: I don't have authorization.
S5: Recordings are confidential Commander Alex Tolley, but Dr. Ren Guerrero has access to power usage readings from the reactor with authorization.
S1: And who can provide authorization.
S5: I let Jamal Davis.
S1: Well, sounds like you want to talk to Jamal.
S4: Thank you. Alex.
S5: Post Solar Event Approximate Mission Day 547. All systems are nominal. Incoming message from Dr. Ron Guerrero. Decline. You've declined ten of her. 12 previous messages.
S3: Declined. Ali?
S5: Yes, Jamal. Would you like to terminate the recording and begin again?
S3: No.
S5: Do you know what you want to say?
S3: Still? No. Save auxiliary programming.
S5: As one.
S3: Margaret.
S5: Saving as Margaret Thought NPR Dash Auxiliary Programming Saved.
S3: Brand is going to hate the Bible.
S5: Dr. Wren Guerrero Hate that.
S3: Sorry, Ali. I'm still not sure if you get jokes.
S5: I have 2500 jokes in 13 different languages stored in my memory. What is this program for, Jamal?
S3: Saving Wren for when I'm not here anymore. Turn on air cooling system.
S5: That will reduce your available oxygen.
S3: Turn it on. Ali. That afternoon with Chelsea watching my first launch, I knew exactly what I wanted to do with my life. We started sneaking out for every launch. I was obsessed. We used to crane our necks and squint our eyes to follow the smoke trail to see who would be the last one, to see it leave the atmosphere. I always won. I always lied. But it didn't matter if I saw it last or not, because I knew one day I was going to be on one of those launches. Leaving everything behind. When I told my mom I wanted to be an astronaut, her face got real serious and she told me I didn't mean it. She said she'd pray for me to stop talking nonsense and have a career that wouldn't put me in harm's way. She was a librarian. She wasn't closed minded, just scared you could live through books. So why put your life at risk? She thought of books as stories completed, but to me books were instructions.
S5: Capsule eight. Temperature is currently.
S3: One. I read everything in the library written by men and women who had been to space. I made a plan for my life. Join the Air Force. Be the best, become a test pilot. Join a space program. Just get to space and never look back. There was nothing on earth I wanted more than to leave it, even for a little bit. Who? What's that.
S5: Phrase? I am unable to answer the question.
S3: That poem written by that old guy. Old guy? They put the poem on the headstones of pilots and astronauts. I let it go to two, slipped the surly bonds of earth. And danced the skies on laughter silvered wings. Sunward I've climbed enjoying the tumbling mirth of suns splayed clouds. And I've done a hundred things you have not dreamed of.
S5: John Gillespie. McGee Junior.
S3: Yeah, that's the old dude.
S5: He died at the age of 19.
S3: Oh, shit. Well, I guess I have it better than him, at least. For six years while my mother worked in the library, I planned a secret life without her knowing. And in one afternoon, all of it came crashing down. One of the books I checked out fell to the back of my locker. The late notice from the library went out. My mother saw it. Check my history. And I came home to a list from the Challenger disaster. January 28th, 1986. Columbia. February 1st, 2003. Vladimir Komarov 1967. Michael J. Adams. Also 1967. The three on board Soyuz 11 1971. And it went on and on. And you still want to throw your life away and go to space? My mom asked Kam, Mom, if God made the universe, then why should I be scared of it?
S5: Would you like me to provide a list of all space disasters?
S3: I know it by heart alley. My mother burned it into me. Every name, every disaster, every possible way to die. My mother thought all these men and women would be deterrents to me. Reasons why I shouldn't follow my dream. But they sacrificed their lives for something, right? They risked their lives for something. Anything. Life doesn't have to be contained by the bounds of gravity, does it?
S5: Does it? I am unable to answer the question.
S3: No one will ever know if they thought it was worth it because those people who sacrificed their lives are gone. There's this recording of a lost cosmonaut. Some people think it was coming from Soyuz one, but no one knows for sure. It's a man or a woman in a defective spacecraft hurtling into reentry that the cosmonaut is angry and scared, cursing, mission control, cursing God, cursing themselves. And there's the photo of a body being displayed in an open casket. And that we know is Komarov.
S5: Did you find those documents to be traumatic as a youth?
S3: No. The opposite. My mother forced me to listen to the recording on loop every night as I try to go to sleep for the last few months before I left. Right up until I joined the Air Force, she made me stare at the photo of the open casket and ask if it was really worth it. And after a while, I learned to find peace in a cry for help. And that desperation. It was sacrifice.
S5: For me. How did Komarov sacrifice himself for you?
S3: We stand on the shoulders of others. And I could accept their losses, paving the way for the next person to carry the torch just a little further. It was worth it. I could see myself standing over the casket and still thinking it was worth it. If I could see myself lying in the casket and I. I thought it was worth it.
S5: How is this recording for?
S3: On the day of my graduation, my mother asked if I still wanted to be an astronaut. I said I did. He said, If you go down this road, then you'll be dead to me, because I don't ever want to hold out hope that you'll be coming home. But you won't. I became a ghost to her. I was dead already. I just didn't know it yet. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you're listening. Upside.
S4: You are right.
S3: I never should have became an astronaut.
UU: Natural progression from.
S3: Ten minute recording.
S5: Post Solar Event Approximate Mission Day 547 Safety Restaurant Pre-leased.
S4: Yes, Ali, that time. You got it.
S5: Thank you, Dr. Rand Guerrero.
S4: Did did you say Jamal?
S5: I said Dr. Arun Gidado.
S4: No. Earlier, Jamal.
S5: Overrode his name in protocol.
S4: He can do that?
S5: Yes. Jamal can now override his naming protocol.
S4: Because we rank high enough now.
S5: Yes. Dr. Ren Guerrero.
S4: Now that everyone else is gone.
S5: Yes. Dr. Rand Guerrero.
S4: Ali. I'd like to override my naming protocol, too.
S5: What would you like for me to call you?
S4: Hmm? Just read for now.
S5: Overriding naming protocol to address Dr. Ron Guerrero as red.
S4: What was that?
S5: I do not detect any abnormalities.
S4: The lights are getting brighter. Is the electricity overloading?
S5: Everything is.
S4: Nominal. The console screen is scrambling.
S5: Ali, I detects no irregularities.
S4: Well, then I think we're both fucked. Except. Except it's coming in through.
S3: The High Line to get away from the High Line down to a different compartment. I get out of.
S4: Town for one more. What are you talking about? From the power of the. That's right. Home. Dad saw my friends, my son.
UU: There's not. No. Solar from Cocoa Media.
S1: Created by Chris Porter and directed by Jenni Curtis and Chris Porter starring Stephanie Beatriz as Ren. Alan Cumming as Alex. Jonathan Banks as Jamal. Jenni Curtis as Ali. With Nicole Pye as Arrow. Dana, Guri as Felicia Mickie Shallower as Christian and John McCormick as narrator. Additional Voices by Chris Porter, Tom Choi and Jaco, Emily Goss and Joy Brunson. Produced by Jenni Curtis, Chris Porter and Bill Curtis, executive Producer Bill Curtis, executive producers Paul Anderson and Nick Pernilla. Executive Producer Helen Hunt. Sound Design Mixing and Mastering by C.J. Drumheller. Music by Chris Porter. Recorded at Shane Sult Productions. Production Manager Doris Stone assisted sound designer Alison NG Casting Consulting by Norman Boling Casting Solaris is produced in association with Workhorse Media. For more information on cast and crew, visit our website through the link in the description. This podcast was recorded under a SAG-AFTRA Collective Bargaining Agreement. Kurt Coe, media. Media for your mind.