Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mom with mea podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Parenting out Loud, the podcast for parents who don't always listen to parenting podcasts. Do we think we're better than the other parenting podcast I'm not sure, but we might sometimes because where you try to bring you sort of the news and the trends and the culture rather than the toilet training tips.
Speaker 3: I'm Monique Bowley, I'm Amelia Lester.
Speaker 1: And I'm Claire Stevens.
Speaker 2: Hey thoughts impressed to anyone camping this easter? Just like, hope it's going well for you. Hope the weather's holding out, Hope the petrol tanks are full.
Speaker 4: I'm picturing friend of the podcast, Holly Waynwright. She's going camping, and I just get the sense everything's going to be damp, even if it's not raining, it will just be damp because that is camping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's resilience building, all right.
Speaker 3: Coming up on today's show.
Speaker 4: Is Chris Pratt, the most hated dad on the Internet.
Speaker 5: We look at his supposed crimes.
Speaker 6: And why do Australians love school uniforms so much? A Sydney school ditched them to its peril.
Speaker 2: And the U come last rule, which blew up the comments section this week. But first Easter aside, what has been happening this week online?
Speaker 6: This might be the parenting version of the Fire Festival. The Fire Festival was a twenty seventeen music festival in the Bahamas.
Speaker 1: You might remember.
Speaker 6: It failed so badly. It was documented in a Netflix special and all these hipsters were like showing these sandwiches that they'd paid thousands of dollars for on this remote island where the musical accident show up. It was just like an epic fail. Well, Florida parents who spent a lot of money on tickets to something called Barbie Dreamfest this week are comparing it to the Fire Festival. Tickets to this event cost something like one hundred and ninety dollars. It was marketed as an immersive celebration of Barbie with interactive experiences and themed installations. Let me pause to say, this is exactly the kind of event I love to waste money on. Yeah, because in my head I think that Saturday taken care of the children will be so grateful to their mother for providing them with this immersive themed experience. I will pat myself on the back and we'll all go home happy.
Speaker 2: It's also the kind of event Amelia that you know is going to look good on your social media. I can't believe I have to say that, but in twenty twenty six, like you know, people buying tickets going, I know what my aesthetic's going to be on my Instagram page for when I take my children to this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 6: And you also want to be that parent who's like I just try and find an interesting and unique experience to have my children exposed to every weekend.
Speaker 1: Or maybe that's just me.
Speaker 6: Anyway, most found themselves very disappointed with the Barbie Dreamfest, and they left with their children after an hour.
Speaker 3: To picture for us of what it actually was like.
Speaker 2: So you think it's gonna be like the Barbie movie, right, what happens when they walk in Amelia?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, it's a sparsely decorated warehouse space and there is not even any music playing. So just imagine like a giant warehouse like situation with a few sort of like desoltry pink cardboard spaces throughout.
Speaker 1: Very quiet because again, no music.
Speaker 4: They should just play the Barbie movie soundtrack.
Speaker 1: They could so.
Speaker 4: Well for one hundred that's one hundred and ninety USDs tickets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they could afforded.
Speaker 6: Let me quote from one attendee who told People Magazine as we walked to the entrance around opening, it was empty and there was no music. The first things you saw were the eighties skating rink and the bike event. The rink was metal bars and a tiny disco ball, no music.
Speaker 1: No theme.
Speaker 6: The Barbie dream House, which I would have pictured myself kind of wandering through a La Margo Robbie, was a cutout cardboard box with a pink blanket in front, a couple of chairs and a VW bus that you couldn't even go oh no.
Speaker 5: The kids would have been so pissed.
Speaker 6: It gets worse because there were apparently a few vendors there doing activities, so there was a Mad Scientist stall and a crafting store, but the.
Speaker 1: Experiences weren't included in the cost.
Speaker 6: Is there anything that enrages a parent more than paying a lot of money for something and then your children harass you to spend more.
Speaker 5: Because there's nothing to do.
Speaker 1: There's nothing to do.
Speaker 3: I couldn't start looking at this.
Speaker 2: I was like one of those I just didn't know what to think, and I went so deep into the comments, and I think I messaged you Amelia. I was like, don't disturb me. I'm in the comments eating popcorn. This is like the greatest and the worst thing I've ever seen. At the same time, it it feels to me like madly unfair, Like can't we just have nice things?
Speaker 3: The world is a lot right now.
Speaker 2: I just want to walk through the Barbie dream House and it is just a cardboard cutout, like it just feels so symbolic of everything right now.
Speaker 1: It reminds me.
Speaker 6: Also, do you remember the Glasgow Willy Wonka?
Speaker 1: I think about that, so I know you do, Claire.
Speaker 6: I didn't even ask you about this beforehand, but I just know there's a little corner of your brain devoted to that.
Speaker 1: Can you remind us about that? Yeah?
Speaker 4: So it was basically it was similar and then it was all all set up like Willy Wonka, but really it was shit. No, timmy shallah. It was really bad, but even potentially worse than this. It was scary. All the umplopers really terrified the children, and I was like, oh God, imagine you're not even getting the fun experience, but your kids are actively upset from attending oh man, I would have been soapy sed off.
Speaker 2: Weren't my favorite comment. My favorite comment was and there was there were thousands.
Speaker 3: If you have.
Speaker 7: A Barbie event and you advertise for scale dream house, then your only priority is one hundred percent to make sure that the dream house is there, come hell or high water, like.
Speaker 1: They come hell or high water.
Speaker 2: But I don't think the kids would have cared that much. Really, like you take a kid anywhere, you take a kid to an elaborate thing, and they're like playing with the cardboard box they're playing with, like the one free balloon that they got given.
Speaker 3: On the way.
Speaker 2: I think it's all the parents that feel mightily ripped off, and as they should. It's very much like Barbie Budget Cut Sedition. Okay, another thing that I saw that went wild online this week. I saw it and I thought, oh my god, I just would like to put this to the podcast to discuss it because it was an Australian couple that went viral for this little postpartum video. So picture the inside of a maternity hospital room, private room. It's filmed sort of point of view from the basinette and the text on the screen on the Instagram real screen says, when you didn't tell the grandparents about the birth of their grandchild. And what you watch is the grandparents walk into the hospital room and see the mother and say hello, you know, how are you feeling hard? Card hug and that moment when they spot the baby and they're like, what a baby?
Speaker 1: When did this happen?
Speaker 3: And they're just completely shocked.
Speaker 2: So congratulations mum and dad, I guess and they do say in the bid, well, she came early. But Claire, have you planned a sort of rogue surprise birth and baby reveal for your own life?
Speaker 4: Well, the thing is, I can't keep secrets for shit, so I would be so bad at this. But I remember before I gave birth for the first time, we had a discussion in the office about whether it is whether when you have a baby, it's just baseline expectation that grandparents free reign to come whenever suits them, like the night you deliver, the early morning hours, whatever, that they are entitled to be there as soon as they want to be. And a lot of other people were saying no, and I said yes because I was like, this is a shared joy. The baby is that everyone don't hug the baby. And then once i'd been.
Speaker 1: Through it, I thought, absolutely not.
Speaker 4: I am all for that couple needing a minute, just needing a minute. And I think it's so clever to actually not tell anyone. There is nothing more annoying than being in labor and getting a million questions from people about how it's progressing, when you're like, this is really slow and I'm bored as fuck. But I love that idea of not telling them and them getting a massive surprise. It also means that you then don't have to rush anything, like you don't have to rush, how you feel, you don't have to rush, how your recessing, any of it. But I'd love to have the self restrained to do this.
Speaker 1: I just don't.
Speaker 6: You're not a Kylie Jenner no how She famously kept her first pregnancy completely secret from the world. Yeah, and then dropped the Instagram video revealing the baby. My first thought here was like, was this a Kylie Jenner situation? But that's interesting ones that that the baby came early. I had a baby early, and I remember that after the baby came out, I snapped a pick of the baby and sent it to one Mere Freedman.
Speaker 1: Oh, and she wrote back saying.
Speaker 6: Who is this because no one expected that baby to come. I said, that's my baby, Maya. She's like, oh beautiful. But like you can when you have a baby early, it is a silver lining. The nursery might not be ready, you might have a lot of medical complications, but one silver lining is you get to surprise your friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah and your family. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, congrats guys. All right, there's a new rule for parents this week. And as you're parental correspondent, I wanted to bring you across it. It's doing the rounds online after it went viral on X, which used to be Twitter, but we will still call it.
Speaker 1: I resent having to call it.
Speaker 4: X formerly known as Twitter. No one can call it X because it's a bad name. Elon, it's a terrible name.
Speaker 3: Has not got good form with names. He really doesn't.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me read let me read you the X. My super strong parenting opinion is that while the kids are awake, you come last. Laura Hudson at Latter Day Laura wrote this week, no spending all of Saturday golfing. That's family time, six a m.
Speaker 3: T time only.
Speaker 2: Maybe want to go to the gym? Go after the kids go to bed or wake up at five. In a few short years, they'll be out of the house and you have all the time in the world for your own stuff. She said, it's okay, come last for a little while. So what do we think of the U come last rule?
Speaker 4: They're sad, So it will it'll surprise everyone to hear this. But I don't think how we approach parenting can be summed up in three to four sentences on Twitter.
Speaker 5: I think it's probably a little bit more nuance than that.
Speaker 4: So, like every take ever, I do feel like as rage baity as this is, there is a tiny.
Speaker 1: Nuggative truth no nuggative.
Speaker 4: I think the nugget of truth is that some mothers unconsciously internalize this and it's how they're living their lives. And so in that case, it would be helpful to have a conversation with your partner where you say, at least we're both on the same page, and then you can kind of ironically end up having a bit more time for yourselves because you're tag teaming rather than your husband living his own life. This is a heterosexual relationship because I'm not at all speaking from experience, but so that your husband isn't just living his life, and then you're kind of doing all the sacrificing at the same time.
Speaker 2: Can I just stop you and ask a question about that, because I think that's a really good point. What do you mean unconsciously internalizing it? Like can you or does it consciously have to come from somewhere? I think it's you don't just suddenly decide to be a certain way, Like there's things that make your way, right.
Speaker 4: I think that for mothers there can be a certain level of guilt that comes with the decisions you make. So for example, when I saw this, I thought of a few a few ways I do this, and no one's told me to do it. But and like, lol, I'm not putting my child first all day.
Speaker 1: Every day or when you see that's the time.
Speaker 4: See that's the thing. I don't play golf, and you know how much I'd love to. But for example, with a lot of social stuff, I will intention on plant like an eight o'clock dinner, because I know my daughter.
Speaker 6: Will not having eight o'clock dinners regularly, are you.
Speaker 4: Well, Like with friends with young kids, eight o'clock is a great time because the kid's in bed, and then you don't feel that guilt that you've left your poor partner to do bedtime or any of that, and I have done that without even thinking about it.
Speaker 1: So I will.
Speaker 4: I'll do a lot of stuff at night. I do a lot of cleaning at night. It becomes my time to get anything done because I'm.
Speaker 3: Prioritizing time clean out the free.
Speaker 4: Don't even because I have this weird idea that it's like I should be maximizing I should be maximizing time with Matilda when she's awake.
Speaker 1: My husband does not do that at all.
Speaker 4: And the golf thing just made me laugh because there are just full saturdays that are riten and I couldn't I couldn't even think of doing something like that. With that said, I don't think that's good, and it's something I want to challenge because when I think about my childhood, I think that some of my absolute favorite memories were being with my parents while they did the things that they loved. Yes, like, every every week my mom would play tennis with her friends and the four of us kids would just literally play outside the court and it was a total vibe. And the thing I loved about it was that my mom loved doing it and she was.
Speaker 3: Why did your mom have to take you to tennis?
Speaker 1: Yeah, great question.
Speaker 2: To babysit her and go to tennis herself. Couldn't your dad have looked after you while she went to tennis?
Speaker 5: I bet you like paying.
Speaker 3: That is not selfless decision.
Speaker 2: No drag four kids to tennis, I know, not me time for an Stevens.
Speaker 4: Mum dragged us everywhere and I loved it because you just wanna You just want to be around and the thing that you enjoy is seeing your parents happy. The older I gets, the more I think the biggest gift that you can give to your children is to see you happy.
Speaker 6: Okay, but I think that that idea of taking the kids with you everywhere is one way to rebut this, and in fact, one of the comments said, my super strong parenting opinion is that you bring the little shit with you to the golf course. You live your life for you, but with the kids. To me, that's another form of guilt tripping.
Speaker 5: I agree, because you genuinely cannot take it.
Speaker 1: I don't want to take the kids to golf.
Speaker 6: Golf is my me time, and by golf I mean margs with my friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't want to take them.
Speaker 6: It's not relaxing, don't paying them in the guise of, oh, it's so easy to bring them along. I agree, I don't think like I wonder if you asked your mom was that stressful to bring the kids along? Like I take your point that you enjoyed it, but there must have been a part of her which was always thinking a little bit, I hope the kids.
Speaker 1: Are playing okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I'm sure it was. But the other thing was, you know, that was something that would happen during the week. But I also remember my Nan lived with us when we were growing up, and I remember that Mum would go to dinner, go wherever she was going on a Saturday night, and it would be our responsibility to like get nun ready for bed because she couldn't move around a lot, and like put her pajamas on and stuff. And I loved that, and I loved that it was actually also teaching one the world doesn't revolve around the kids. The kids have to learn to care for other people as well, like the world in that instance revolved around now.
Speaker 6: And the kids also don't want their parent just standing there staring at them all the time, saying you're awake, you're awake, what shall we do. I just think that's not what kids want either.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I think, like my question is like, at what point did being a good parent start to be be totally selfless and put them ahead of yourself? Because it does feel like that's the kind of dominant narrative. And I was like, where is this coming from? Is it coming from the pop culture models that we see? Like you look at Bluie's dad, what's his name?
Speaker 3: We always freaking talk about him.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, he's like the epitome of a good dad, and he is always doing He's not off playing golf, is he He's there with the kids, playing with the kids all the time, or like the kind of parents that we were modeled to us in pop culture was probably like Tim the Toolman, Taylor's wife who just was like the stay at home mum. And I know certainly, like I think when you were talking before about like how we unconsciously internalized stuff, you've got to also think about how it was modeled to you as a child. Like my mum was all about like putting herself last, Like it was always her that had the burnt chop, it was always her that went without so that we could have things. So, yeah, at what point did becoming a good parent look like just being selfless?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great question.
Speaker 6: There was another comment on it that said, I'm big, I'm begging millennial women to do as little parenting as their grandma mothers did. Keyword through is grandmothers because I think that experience you had, Monds of a very self sacrificing mother was I would say perhaps quite common amongst the mothers of millennials m M.
Speaker 1: And I wonder why.
Speaker 6: Then we took that to the extreme and just said that we we have to do everything for them.
Speaker 4: And I now, and I'm not saying this is true of you Monds, but I now look at families or mother child dynamics where that was a thing, where the self sacrifice was just the bedrock of the relationship. And I don't think a child can unlearn that. I see friends in their twenties, thirties, and forties who still cannot see and it often is their mother as a human being worthy of integrity outside what they can do for them.
Speaker 1: And that as a parent.
Speaker 4: Now that scares me because I don't want that kind of relationship with my kid as an adult. I want to be like I want it to be richer than that, So it scares me that you're kind of setting yourself up for a lifetime of being a bit of a slave.
Speaker 3: Do you think kids benefit more from our attention or from seeing us have a life.
Speaker 4: I think it depends a lot on age. And I've also been thinking a lot about the mothers of young kids who feel sick when you talk.
Speaker 5: About attachment theory.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you guys have so many moms I know will just express worries about all the complete You get so much content about attachment theory, and you hear so much about how the way you interact and the amount of time you spend with your child in those early years affects their relationships for the rest of their life. Blah blah blah. I've freaked out about.
Speaker 5: It the more you read.
Speaker 4: It's like, if you're sensible person who there's been no kind of massive thing that has separated you from your child in those early years, it's fine, You're fine, But we panic that we're just going to rupture some part of that bond if we are not with them constantly in the early years. But I do think by the time your kids are primary school age. They want other kids, parents are adults are boring.
Speaker 6: And I also think it's about quality time. And I once did this parenting course with a pediatrician who specialized in children with additional needs. But the point was that he said, to us, seven minutes a day, that's really focused, without a phone, without scrolling, without cooking dinner, that's gold.
Speaker 1: Seven minutes a day. That's not a lot.
Speaker 6: I mean, actually some days I don't even hit the seven minutes. But it's a comforting metrick to think about.
Speaker 2: Quick story about my parents having one moment where they were totally selfless. So my parents had four children, and my dad worked two jobs and was very you know, money was tight, and they really put themselves last in a lot of ways. And I think they must have had this moment where Mum said to Dad, go and do something for yourself. Go and join a club, or you know, you need to find a life outside of the kids. And so Dad joined a malt whiskey club, which is I guess a club where people go and try different malt whiskeys. And someone probably forgot to tell him to like try it and spit it out. Anyway, I vividly remember all four of us piling into the Holden station wagon and Mum going to pick up Dad from the Malt Whiskey club.
Speaker 3: Where he had his like alone time, and then Dad vomiting up.
Speaker 2: Gone to school on the mundane and being like, you know when they always say what'd you do on the weekends?
Speaker 3: I would have been like, well.
Speaker 2: Dad was talking funny and informed it outside of the car, so beware, beware of having a life outside.
Speaker 6: There's a story that I cannot stop reading about this week, and it's to do with an experimental school in Sydney's North that was founded in twenty nineteen, by which the New South Wales government has called time on. The experiment just didn't work. It was called Linnfield Learning Village and it tried to do things a little bit differently was K through twelve. In many ways, it was trying to break the mold of Australian public schools. So I'll give you some examples. Students addressed teachers by their first names. They progressed through stages, not by ages, through multidisciplinary learning projects. So it wasn't like they did some English and then they did some Mass. They would like ask a big question about the world and then explore it through various disciplines. There were no report cards for grades through year ten. The parent teacher conferences were student led. Recess and lunch were called KitKat and picnic, respectively. Don't quite get that one, but it.
Speaker 1: Turns out that it's cool. Yeah, I like it, but it's just a little school.
Speaker 4: The KitKat one. I'm gonna need some like picnic. I get Picnic kind of survived.
Speaker 2: Oh what are we gonna call it? Let's call it KitKat because it's a little break. And then they would have said, well, what are we going to call lunch? And then someone would have said, let's keep the chocolate.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, so you should work at this school.
Speaker 6: But it wasn't even the names of recess and lunch that were controversial. The most controversial part of this experiment was to do with uniforms, and there was no uniform and the government noticed that that families who were moving into the area were not enrolling their kids in this school. Like there was a lot of enthusiasm for it when it all started in twenty nineteen, but they started to notice that that enthusiasm was tapering off, and they ask respective parents why aren't you sending your kids to this school? The number one reason that parents gave was a lack of uniform and I thought this was so interesting because it is actually one of those things that is an Australian quirk. And a lot of parents who come from overseas, certainly from the US, but from many European countries as well, comment that it's unusual to see public school children wearing a uniform. Now, I know not all public schools in Australia wear uniforms, but the majority do. And the government has said that they hope that by implementing an uniform is going to do away with a bit of a stigma that existed around having a school without a uniform. So apparently uniforms were introduced to Australian schools in the nineteenth century because they wanted Australian schools to emulate British schools. But a lot of British schools, a lot of British comprehensive schools now have done away with uniforms, whereas we stick with them.
Speaker 1: Why do you think we're so attached to uniforms.
Speaker 4: I know why were so attached to uniforms?
Speaker 5: And I get it.
Speaker 4: Firstly, I did a bunch of research before this because I thought from studying psychology, I thought it was well established that wearing a uniform is an overhall that positive for behavior, because there's all sorts of studies about when you wear a nurse's uniform you behave in a more altruistic manner.
Speaker 6: Start wearing a nurse's uniform, you actually should, yes, And if I were to wear a police uniform, I would kind of assert more authority, like you kind of end up cosplaying.
Speaker 1: To record. We're like, we're just testing out this theory.
Speaker 4: But with school uniforms, I assumed that there was robust evidence that if you're wearing a school uniform you behave better, you kind of slot in more naturally with the community, all that stuff. There's actually not that research. It's it's not as black and white. But I reckon the reason it has stayed as such a kind of hallmark of Australian culture is because it symbolizes equality and it and it flattens all differences in socioeconomic status. It means that there is no room at a school for fashion. Who's got the cool shoes? Who can even like at my high school, you couldn't dye your hair, you couldn't paint your nails. It's kind of this and at the time I was frustrated by it, and I broke many rules many times, but I did actually get the ethos that the idea was an environment where.
Speaker 5: You could keep people as equal as possible, which.
Speaker 4: Is very I think it's quite Australian mons.
Speaker 1: What do you think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's really interesting what you said about being a hangover from Britain, Like it does seem very kind of colonialist in its approach.
Speaker 3: But I think, God, it sounded really serious, didn't it.
Speaker 2: What's interesting about this is that this Linfield College, on paper, it looks like it's doing all the things that kind of we we're asking education to do, pivot be more kind of like less rote learning and more real world learning. And interesting that the uniform is kind of this sticking point. I think we like you know, I agree with your points clear about why we like them, but I think also a uniform is a great signaler saying this is a real school and we are you know, this isn't some crazy experimentation school is one of the places where people where parents don't feel like they have heaps of control over what goes on in a school, whereas uniforms is one way of saying, hang on, this is kind of serious. It's like a visible marker of safety. I guess for people to say, yes, this is a controlled environment, maybe it's that.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's why we like them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd be interested, because I know I'm starting to do this. If people when they're sort of in their local area and you're kind of making a bit of a decision about where you're going to send your kid to school, if you are observing the low cool school uniforms, well not the uniforms themselves, but the kids who are wearing their uniforms and making a judgment on which kids behave well, which kids look like they'd be in a positive learning environment. I mean, I do that all the time in my local area. I'll see kids in a uniform who are being really naughty, and I'm like, well, we won't be sending Mattilla there.
Speaker 2: I agree with your point, but to that point, I was on public transport recently and I saw children in their school uniform that behaved so well that I did the middle aged mom thing, and I emailed the school and I said what a credit these students were to your school. And I remember being in assembly when things like that would happen and thinking, when I'm older, I'm going to be the person that dobs on the students or sends bouquets to the students.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I remember uniforms.
Speaker 4: I remember at school they'd say that in assemblies, and I would think, what kind of person has at the time, has the time to send that correspondence?
Speaker 1: And I love that it's Mon's I really love that.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine being a teenager these days all you're getting from the media and from people is just like your shit, you're stinky, you're gross, your brain's not developed. I want to show shine a light on the ones that are doing it well.
Speaker 1: I think that's beautiful.
Speaker 3: The positive reinforcement teams for.
Speaker 4: Those who aren't aware. I used to host a podcast called Canceled, where I'd prosecute celebrity crimes in a made up courtroom, and one of my favorite episodes was about a little known man named Chris Pratt. Now, Chris Pratt is a dad and he gets a really bad rap online, so I wanted to chat a little bit about his alleged crimes and I wanted you guys as the jury to weigh in. Now he is in the headlines again this week for something new Amelia What happened?
Speaker 6: Yes, so he is, I would say, the Internet's most hated dad. Everything he does, specifically as a dad, people hate. Now this week came some groundbreaking news from People magazine. Katherine Schwarzenegger praises Golden retriever husband Chris Pratt.
Speaker 1: You may ask, why what did he do?
Speaker 6: He built their daughters a Dolls house in their backyard. Now that sounds really sweet, right, that's great, that's really nice. It looks like it's kind of one they can walk inside like. It looks equally impressive as the Barbie dreamhouse that we talked about. And here's the problem. Everything he does is a little bit annoying. Because then Katherine Schwarzenegger, his wife, posted a picture of the Dolls house with him building it, and the caption reads, I'll never understand when women say I don't need my husband, when I very much, in fact do need my husband, because who else would build our daughters a Dolls house? She set this to the song man I Need by Olivia Dean. Good song, but like a little cringe in this cond text, and she also wrote another caption on it, when you have a golden retriever husband. So even when he's doing something ostensibly good like building his daughter's a doll's house, the internet vomits.
Speaker 4: It's annoying because not everybody has a husband for so many different reasons, Like it's just such a dicky, tone deaf thing to say.
Speaker 2: Also, Catherine Schwartzenegger like pick up a spanner instructions. You're fine, you can do this. You don't need anyway, But I digress.
Speaker 4: You don't need Chris.
Speaker 6: But this is the only the latest in a series of crimes that he has perhaps committed as innocential, proven guilty as a dad, right, Claire.
Speaker 5: Exactly so.
Speaker 4: And I do think that one of the reasons that people are so mad at him is because we liked him so much. A little bit of background. He's an actor known initially for his roles on television.
Speaker 1: He was in The.
Speaker 4: Wood, then he was Parks and Recreation andyon Parks Recreation, and then he was he was really good in Zero Duck thirty and Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers. So let me give you a quick rundown of his alleged crimes that came before this, and I think really set the tone for why people feel weird about Chris Pratt. So, he was married to comedy actor Anna Faris from two thousand and nine to twenty eighteen and they share a son named Jack. And they met in two thousand and seven when they were working on a film together. And at the time, she was a far bigger deal than he was because she was in scary movie. I love Anna Faris. I think she is so funny. And over the course of their marriage, Pratt celebrity grew and grew, and Anna Faris has talked since about how it's hard when two actors are in a relationship because you're competitive about who's doing better, and when people read between the lines a little bit, they think was he competitive because she was slag. Then in October twenty seventeen, they released this combined statement saying they were legally separating. It wasn't until the following year that their divorce was finalized, and three months after that, Pratt began dating Katherine Schwarzenegger. Katherine is the daughter of Arnold Swarzenegger and Maria Shriver, who is John F. Kennedy's niece, so it's quite a prominent family. But the vibe generally seems to be we liked Anna. Anna was weird. Anna was funny, and whereas Katherine, she writes self help books and she's written a children's book about adopting her dog.
Speaker 1: I don't think we need to explain why the vibe was given the caption exactly exactly.
Speaker 6: He had one child with Anna correct, yes, Jack, and has two daughters with Catherine.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: So there were also some cheating rumors around Chris Pratt. They seem to have been based in nothing. But it wasn't even that he was cheating with Katherine Schwarzenegger. The idea was that he was cheating with Jennifer Lawrence while they were filming Passengers.
Speaker 5: But it didn't happen.
Speaker 4: And it's also I just like, didn't have happened?
Speaker 1: I heard, didn't Jennifer herself?
Speaker 5: No, genuinely.
Speaker 4: But I will say I don't think it's a crime to get divorced. Are we on the same page there?
Speaker 6: Do you?
Speaker 2: There are no crimes so far? Okay, he got separated, he met someone else. She's vastly different from the first lady.
Speaker 4: Not illegal, not a llegal, good point mons annoying maybe okay, this is the bit that might be illegal. In twenty twenty, Pratt and Schwarzsnagger had their first baby, daughter Lilah, and in November twenty twenty one, Pratt posted a photo to Instagram of he and his wife with this caption, Guys, for real, look how she's looking at me? And that was about Catherine. I mean, find you somebody that looks at you like that. You know we men in church. She's given me an amazing life, a gorgeous, healthy daughter. She choose so so loudly that sometimes I put in my earbuds to drown it out.
Speaker 5: But that's love.
Speaker 4: She helps me with everything. In return, periodically I opened a jar of pickles. That's the train. Her heart is pure and it belongs to me.
Speaker 5: It goes on.
Speaker 4: And looking at the comments, the thing that people were so angry about and the potential crime here was the wording around Catherine giving him a gorgeous, healthy daughter. So the comments were, f off your own chromosomes contributed to your firstborn complications, You're an asshole, trash post devalues your wife's a person, devalues your ex for giving you an unhealthy child, because the post was perceived to be a dig at his son, Jack, who he shares with Anna Faris, and Jack was born nine weeks early, and his premature birth caused.
Speaker 5: A lot of health issues.
Speaker 4: At first, they were worried that they would be really, really severe because he had brain bleeding, and they thought that Jack would have a developmental disability. After eighteen months, it appeared he didn't have those issues, but he does have visual impairments and an ongoing heart problem. So if you ever see photos of him, he is so gorgeous. But if you ever see photos, you can often see that he's wearing special glasses and that kind of thing. So the question was was he having a dig by saying healthy baby daughter?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I hate this so much, the word healthy.
Speaker 6: I hate this, and I hate the Internet for making this a crime because first of all, it's none of our business about Jack and his health, and the fact that we're even having to explain he has maybe a visual impairment.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter. We don't need to.
Speaker 6: Know, and maybe just let this speaking of someone who has mentioned in this episode had a premature baby, I'm very sensitive to the idea that people who have premature babies or in any kind of birth complications, somehow wanted that or somehow that was preferable to having a more straightforward delivery.
Speaker 1: That's not at all.
Speaker 6: The case, of course, like you love the child, who you get and however that child arrives in the world is totally up to them. But the idea that I wouldn't have preferred to have a more straightforward birth is nonsense. Of course I would have preferred to have a more straightforward berth. Everyone wants to have a quote unquote healthy baby. That's not saying anything about anyone's child's health.
Speaker 4: I think you're so right, Amelia, that the idea of the idea of using the word healthy can be so politicized and controversial, and that is what really got people upset. Mon's do you think do you have sensitivity around that? Do you think it was a dig Do you think that when Chris Pratt wrote this caption, he was thinking I'm going to have a dig at my ex wife and my eldest child.
Speaker 6: And more broadly, do you think that we should be avoiding the word healthy around babies?
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't think, Ah, I don't think it was a dig. It might have just been a genuine mistake, but the Internet does not forgive mistakes.
Speaker 3: There is no nuance anymore.
Speaker 2: And I think it's unfortunately included that word because it is just that one word that feels problematic. And yeah, Amelia is it's a loaded word to describe a baby now, and I think it's not the most sensitive word to use given his past. I also wonder if Katherine Schwarzenegger is kind of pring him, you know, like there is something like there's a stink around Chris Pratt. There's this I learned this week that there's a Hollywood Chris ranking where people rank Chris Pine, Chris Hemsworth, Chris Pratten. Chris Pratt always is bottom no matter what. And I just wonder if she's kind of trying to renovate his via the Dolls house via look at this great husband.
Speaker 3: She's trying to bandit her husband.
Speaker 4: And I think it's a mix because I reckon that caption. I almost reckon if the caption itself hadn't been so annoying, people might not have jumped on the healthy baby thing. But it is a little bit annoying and gushy, and it's just annoying and I think our vibes around Chris Pratt are that he's religious, which we know he is, that he's Christian, although he has not explicitly said anything super conservative or anything that would offend anyone. It's just that he's Christian, which I've checked also not a crime, and that he's like giving Republican, but again he hasn't even said that he's a Republican.
Speaker 6: Maybe we just said to be like, I'm so glad the daughters have a Dolls house or a cubby house, as you've pointed out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, having a closer look while we've been chatting, I have my real crime here is that's not adult out.
Speaker 5: So that's a cubby house. It's huge.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Every week we like to bring you the best of the Internet, the best of the shops, things that we're reading, watching, looking at, listening to. With our recommendation segment, Claire, I have you got from the world of Pragante Pregante?
Speaker 4: Well, I have the most practical recommendation ever that's going to be born to anyone who's not in this phase and life changing to anyone who is a promise. It's called the Houdini strap, and you get from big w and what it is when you have your frickin' child in a car seat and they learn to Houdini. They learn like I have what is meant to be the safest car seat on the market, and I look at it and I'm like, not when she's not got straps on, it's not freakin' safe. And I yell at her and I bribe her about like mummy will t the car around if you don't put your straps back on all of that stuff, and she just laughs at me. No, there is this thing you can buy that is a chest strap and it clips to the car straps and holds them closer together so that your child cannot wriggle out. And it has changed my life. My friend lies shout out to lives front of the pod. She told me about it, And you can also use it in high chairs and prams and so you will be protecting your stupid little child from Houdini.
Speaker 6: I love that you've reminded me of the threat of turning the car around. I feel like every every nineties baby has a story of their dad literally turning the car around, and it became like family law.
Speaker 4: I've been tempted, but usually it's like, damn it, I'm going somewhere I want to go.
Speaker 6: You come last. I have something called brain Quest smart cards. These are these little sort of like card decks. They come in packs of two in a little box, and you can get them for each of your school as well as age two and preschool. And they're basically like multiple choice quiz questions. And I love doing the big quiz in the newspaper on the weekend. And this is a way of involving the kids because they don't seem to know many of the answers, and I'm like, come on, kids, how are you not helping me get trivia? But they know the answers to these. They're on Amazon. They're about twenty five dollars. I'm sorry to recommend something on Amazon, but they're actually Americans, so a little bit hard to get in regular brick and mortar shops. Another reason I love them is you can take them to a cafe on the bus. It's a way to keep kids engaged without running down your phone battery.
Speaker 5: That's really wholesome.
Speaker 3: That is great.
Speaker 2: I love I also have a wholesome recommendation, but mine is Australian and mine is free and so for anyone connection with nature this weekend. If you're out camping, what are you doing. I have a recommendation for a podcast. It's called Noisy by Nature and you find it on the ABC Kids Listener app.
Speaker 3: It is it is so wholesome and pure.
Speaker 2: The host her name is Anne Jones, and she's like the David Attenborough of Australia, but she's sort of David Attenborough crossed with the Wiggles, so she's like this.
Speaker 7: You Hey, I'm Ann. Do you know what I love?
Speaker 3: I love a boo book ol And.
Speaker 2: It's just like our noises, fog noises, you're learning things.
Speaker 3: It's nature. It is just so I love it.
Speaker 2: It's such such a great nighttime thing to listen to as the kids going to sleep. Noisy by Nature just like Undiscovered Gem I reckon on the ABC Listen app.
Speaker 1: Oh that's all right, so cute.
Speaker 3: So thank you. That's all we have time for this week. A big, big.
Speaker 2: Thanks to our team Junior content producer Tessa Kotovich, Exec producer Sashtanic, audio producer Jacob Brown and content manager of Podcasts is to Listen, Azaz Chocolate Eggs to you all. Have a great week. We'll be back in this feed next Saturday morning. Bye mm hmm