Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mom with mea podcast.
Speaker 2: From MoMA Mia. Welcome to the Spill, your daily pop culture fix. I'm Laura Brodney, I'm Mverner and Happy New Year, Happy.
Speaker 3: Neil Yah, hope you had a good one. I hope you love twenty twenty five, because get ready, you're gonna love twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a lot of energy that your bringing this here. Well, it was beautiful, but I think a lot of people are just there in that mellow holiday phase. Hopefully, hopefully everyone's recovering from a big night.
Speaker 3: Hoursually they're on their second day hangover, yeah, and doing lots of swimming and lounging under an air con avoiding the family. Perhaps if you are going through that, I'm sorry for yelling the last years' ry.
Speaker 2: For that intense cheer. So because of all that, we decided that the only topic we could all as a group handle in these early days of the new year is something very important, and that is the top rom com couples from our favorite romantic comedy movies that we believe ended their relationship in angry, upset circumstances after the credits rolled. Oh controversial and this is a brand new episode we're dropping for you guys to celebrate the new year with a few, like little reruns we've had, but only because we thought this was breaking important news and the first thing you.
Speaker 3: Want to listen to had of your grandma's lunch. We've got something important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so romantic comedy couples we believe didn't stand the test of time. Do you want to kick us off? I don't want to drink.
Speaker 3: Us off with something quite controversial, because this movie is a movie that everyone's watched and everyone always rewatches every year. Everyone would have watched this movie last month, do you think so? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: Cameron Diaz Jude Law playing Amanda and Graham in the Holiday I.
Speaker 1: Just broke up with someone, and considering the you showed up from your insanely good looking Emma probably won't remember me anyway, I'm thinking we should have sex if you want. Is that a trick question?
Speaker 2: Can I tell you what I've always thought this to be true? Well? Both couples? Yeah, I actually think everyone You think both?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Both. It's because it's a distance thing and their lives being so different. But I think the reason that the camera just shows them dancing in New Year's Eve and the camera pulls away and you just have that moment. It's just meant to be a moment in time. Yeah, And they make no plans for the future, Like Miles literally says to Kate Winslet's character, do you have a date for New Year's Eve? And nothing past that? So I think it's only meant to be New Year's Eve. That's the magic of the movie. Don't you think you're upset about this? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean it's one of those ones I feel like all of my options that it's like true in my heart where I know they won't laugh, but I've told myself they will. Yeah, And now I'm like facing reality all this.
Speaker 2: Episode because the thing is, if they have a big conversation trying to sort out their real lifelationship, you're going to see too many floors in the plan. You've got to know they're not together because it just ends with them dancing and you just end with that beautiful snow covered house and nothing is.
Speaker 3: And they don't like resolve. But that's okay in reality because like she's this massive TV producer who works in la He's got two young girls who lives in London. That's not gonna work out.
Speaker 2: It's not gonna work out. But the thing is they all learn to open their hearts and they all let go of past toxic relationships. And that is the lesson of the holiday. That's the true lesson. And also, yeah, I was gonna say, actually, that is the lesson of Christmas that it feels at this moment in time where there are no consequences and you don't have to plan because you're living in the moment of Christmas in New Year and the holidays, and then it feels like this big fresh start where anything is possible. And that's the holiday.
Speaker 3: Ah would come to a happy.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, but yeah, I just don't think of that when you watch the movie. I think, yeah.
Speaker 3: And also my other thing in this movie is that I've got his name, Albert the old guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think about him all the time.
Speaker 3: He's still alive in my head.
Speaker 2: Absolutely lives on forever. Don't google that, don't google that.
Speaker 3: He lives on forever and ever and all the time, he's still making movies, he's still winning award.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think about him all the time because whenever I'm not like taking a risk or doing something or I always think, like, be the leading lady of your own life. I think for that all the time, not even ironically. I really like try and live that way.
Speaker 3: So true. He's so cute. He lives in a beautiful house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's the most important thing I.
Speaker 3: Think when I should married him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, to everyone's longing for jud Law, I'm just longing for Cameron Diaz's house with the button where all the blinds closed and that big pool. I wouldn't need a man if I lived there, I'd be so happy.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, what a spin. Anyway, what is yours? Okay, so full disclosure.
Speaker 2: I was all on board with this topic when we came up with it, but when I was looking for examples, I really struggled and didn't.
Speaker 3: Really about your own feelings because that's what I did.
Speaker 2: I did because I didn't realize what a die hard rom com family was. I was going through all the lists of my favorite rom coms and I was like, well, know, they're still together. No, they're definitely still together. Oh my god, I can't talk about them breaking up. And so I found it really hard to pick. So I've had to go for some really iconic movies that is probably gonna upset people, starting with one of the most iconic rom coms of all time that is still referenced in so many movies and TV shows today, Sleepless in Seattle. Have you seen it?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, if you haven't seen it, you've seen the MINDI Project where she reenacts shes to react. They're like, man, what are you doing here? Every day I'm looking for a strange man. Movie's left to backpack. So Sleepless in Seattle. I've always had a little bit of beef with this movie because it is supposed to be one of the most romantic rom comms of all time. People still talk about it, and no it's not because so it stars Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan, who everyone talks about having this intense, wonderful But are they your favorite couple in this movie? Because in this movie they spend leslie You've Got Thing is, You've Got Mail? Is an iconic rom com ten to ten they're still together because they spend so much time together, you believe they fall in love. Do you know when Sleeper? Since Seattle, Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks have like less than ten minutes of screen time together. For the entire movie, do they Yeah, they spend no time together, and so I believe that once they left the Empire State Building and the lift on the way down.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so when he broke up on the list.
Speaker 2: I think so. So Tom Brady plays yeah, yeah, yeah, because they really they have nothing to talk about, right.
Speaker 3: Oh, they could have talked about all the cardio they got.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, exactly. So Tom Hanks plays Sam and Meg Ryan plays Annie. He's a single dad who lost his wife. His son calls into a radio station trying to find his dad a date. He gets on the phone. I'm just gonna call them by their own names. Tom Hanks gets on the phone. Meg Ryan hears him, she starts to fall in love with him. She writes him a letter. Other people in their lives intervene so that Meg Ryan ends up flying to New York because she's going to meet him on top of the Empire State Building from the movie and Affair to Remember. It's just kind of homage to that. So they do briefly see each other in an airport and across the street, but they actually only come together in the final few minutes of the movie, where they see each other on top of the Empire State Building and we're meant to believe it's this incredible love story. But they're just in love with the idea of each other, and they also just have the hots for each other because they're both like they've just seen each other, they've had no interaction. So I just don't know how.
Speaker 3: All relationships are from just seeing each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that, but I think to believe that they actually ended up together, we need more than that, right, Yeah, that's what I mean.
Speaker 3: It's just like, also think that's just modern dating telling us that our alarm bells are going off, and sometimes I don't want my alarm bell.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, but I just think. My thought is that they have this beautiful moment on top of the Empire State Building. They look at each other in the lock eyes. It's like it's you. I can't believe it's you. That's the whole vibe. And I think that they had that moment, and then they get into the elevator and I think they run out of things to talk about by the time they to the bottom, and then he's like you went town. They're like you yeah, and I think she's like, I mean, I think maybe I just didn't want to marry my fiance and I'm projecting onto you.
Speaker 3: Sorry man, And he takes it to a steakhouse and she's like, I'm vegetarian.
Speaker 2: Yes, and she's like, oh, actually, don't want to be a step mom. Like the idea of the kid was cute, but now that he's here, and also, you're clearly still in love with your ex wife. So yeah, I don't think that Sam and Annie from Sleepless in Seattle ended up together.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll pay that, Okay, My next one is is Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I nearly picks this in the proposal. Absolutely, we're getting married.
Speaker 3: Who is kidding?
Speaker 2: You and I are getting married? Can't fight in love like ours?
Speaker 3: No, I'm not going to marry you. If you don't, you'll be on the street. I'm looking for a job. Have the two of you told.
Speaker 2: Your parents we're going to their places?
Speaker 1: We can Alaska?
Speaker 2: Alaska?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, they are not staying.
Speaker 2: They had a few weeks of really good hate sex and then they broke up.
Speaker 3: Yes, because I was and even the first time I watched this when I was not young, but I was like in my teens, I was like, what's going to happen next? Like do they just go back to work? It quit? He's still going to be her assistant.
Speaker 2: He was getting his book published. That was their deal.
Speaker 3: And where do they live in Alaska? Do they move back to New York?
Speaker 2: I think they moved back to New York because now she has a green card. But yeah, that's the thing. It's it's that idea of like they actually hated each other.
Speaker 3: I hated each other and she was mean.
Speaker 2: I love enemies to love it. It's my favorite trope in rom coms, but this one had too much hate and then really not enough love. It had like hate to lust and hate to love is different, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I think it would have been actually quite a nice ending. Actually no, because I it wouldn't be a rom com. But like if she actually did leave and then they just became friends and then naturally fell in love, Yeah, I just didn't think like the legality is around it. Like that was a third character was basically that guy who was like, I know, you're not rarely married.
Speaker 2: And it's also that classic thing of like she fell love with his family not here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean I would fall in love with Betty White as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would go live on that beautiful arm and like little rituals around Mary Steed Burgin and Betty White. That's the best family you could hope for, best family. And then Ryan Reynolds is just there.
Speaker 3: I was just fall in love with Alaska. Yeah say that, Ryan. You can go write your book, Your luck Luck Ryan.
Speaker 2: So they're not together, those people.
Speaker 3: Absolutely not together. If you think they're together, you can find me, because this is one that I'm like, they're absolutely not.
Speaker 2: Okay, great movie though, fantastic. When the dog gets taken by the hawk, he's one of the top ten scenes of comedy I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: And they're like, look at I'm playing the phone goes, do take the dog?
Speaker 2: I mean, if you haven't seen, it's not a good love story, but it's a good movie, really funny. Okay, this one I probably don't even have to explain to you once I say the name of the movie. Why it didn't work out? Okay, I think trauma therapy, hopefully, some trusted adults. Hopefully some unemployment and firing happened in the aftermath of this particular relationship, which helped our leading ladies see that she should not be around this creepy man. It's the classic rom com Never Being Kissed.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's a good ride.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I actually one hundred percent agree with you on this.
Speaker 2: So I loved this movie as a teen, but obviously I didn't know any better.
Speaker 3: I was just sectible to creepy man in life.
Speaker 2: Oh did you did you have a problem with it? Than you thought it was fine?
Speaker 3: I thought it was fine. Okay, yeah, but maybe later in life. I mean like mid twenty.
Speaker 2: Okay, so your frontal lobe hadn't developed yet.
Speaker 3: It was fine. I was fine.
Speaker 2: So Never Been Kissed if you haven't watched it, and also like still watch, it's a great movie. I think that like the best thing about a rom com is it makes you forget a very problematic setup that's like fifty first dates or something you just like, but they're so cute.
Speaker 3: It's just like, this is going to be controversial. Every good rom com happened in the late nineties to early two thousands.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's mainly because they were also problem bad, because you have to really suspend disbelief to believe in a truly great rom com.
Speaker 3: Like, there's so many things I feel like would not cut today, Like even in You Got Mail, Like that's one of my favorite realm coms of all time. He's so like he goes her and leaves her in a restaurant upon seeing her.
Speaker 2: Can I just say I was about to say, I think You've Got Mail as the only one that potentially holds up.
Speaker 3: But he isn't shocked too, Yeah, he'sn't shocked, but he like leaves her there. I'm like, but also that is too controversial to be redone now.
Speaker 2: Oh see, I think that one would be okay, absolutely only because that's just human behavior. If he had tricked her and then like a man can't do that to a woman. Yeah, I know it was a bad I know, but then they fell in love. It's okay. Oh god, anyway back to this problematic mean sorry. So Drew Barrymore plays Josie Josie Grosie, who is a twenty five year old newspaper journalist who has never been a relationship and because she looks quite young, she has sent undercover at a high school. It's great promise, undercover at a high school to write a bit of an expose and what's going on? And while she she's there, she falls in love with her, it must be said, young and hot English teacher Sam. But he also falls in love with her even though he knows she's a student, and he doesn't like instantly remove himself from the school and leave, which is what he should have done the moment he had those feelings, and afterwards it's all explained a way that she really is twenty five and she waits on a football field for him to come and kiss her, and he does, I.
Speaker 3: Know, we knew you were twenty five.
Speaker 2: I just feel like it's given every inappropriate male teacher a bit of a fantasy to work with, Like what if this girl that I'm lusting after in my class is actual secretly is secretly an adult on a job, and then it's all systems go e.
Speaker 3: I hate that.
Speaker 2: So I don't think Josie and Sam ended up together, especially because that was her first relationship in dating.
Speaker 3: Like, Josie should want to date a man who thought you were a student. Yeah, that is wild, And it's all up to her.
Speaker 2: To apologize to him, which I kind of feel get why he feels a bit tricked, But he feels tricked because he's like, oh, you made me like you, and I felt so bad myself and I was right the whole time. It's like, no, so you still were not right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you're so right. It's one of those movies when you rewatch as like an adult, you're kind of like, what the hell is going on? Yeah, similar to like pretttle liars like Aria and Ezra. Did you ever watch really?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Obviously, well when Ezra were like when I was watching it when I was younger, I was like, Ezra so hot? Why did her dad punch him in the face? And Dad, I'm like, that should have been killed. Like he literally goes to these parents, I'm in love with your underage daughter and I'm gonna keep seeing her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then they just get married at the end, like it's all fine and good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need to change these tropes and should be in jail.
Speaker 3: In jail that should.
Speaker 2: Have been the follow up series. So yes, Never being Kissed. I do believe that once I left that football field and she had a kiss, and part of it she was just like she's like, oh, it's like that whole thing of like the first guy who shows you a bit of attention, you're like, he's amazing. But yeah, I just.
Speaker 3: Feel like she should mean, they're not our teachers, but.
Speaker 2: No, I know, but I just I just feel like, once Josie, you like really got out in the world and and you know.
Speaker 3: It's all like how hot and cute you were.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's freaking Drew Barry More. They try to make it look ugly, but.
Speaker 3: More should legally be in every single rom com.
Speaker 2: Absolutely often I've seen every Drew Barry movie in existence. But sometimes when I'm just feeling like I need a little pick me up, I'll just type Drew Barry Moore into the search and just watch whatever. In the Rain. Yeah, yeah, it's so wonderful. I knew there was that window rain.
Speaker 3: Like true, I'm working.
Speaker 2: I can't go stand the rain. I can't go find a window in my house that no one else knew exists. I can't do an apology in front of the poor wall in my house. I love that woman so much. So yeah, I never been kissed. Great movie, problematic relationship, and they definitely broke up the second they left that baseball field.
Speaker 3: I agree. Okay, my last one for today, I feel like I'm bending the rules a little bit. Okay, you know, I love that because I feel like with a lot of teenage rom coms, I feel like there is a consensus that they're not going to end up together because I teenagers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but this one, I.
Speaker 3: Feel like is like you have to agree. It's Georgia and Robbie from Anger Stung's and Perfect Snogging.
Speaker 2: It's the new song I wrote.
Speaker 3: It's about Georgia.
Speaker 2: Wo life's biggest adventure.
Speaker 1: He's just beginning.
Speaker 2: Like you, Georgia, I know you are lad. Can I tell you something that I've managed to hide from you for an entire friendship that I feel like I've never seen this movie, but I do.
Speaker 3: I i'mctually gonna I'm not gonna cry.
Speaker 2: Are you sure you look like you're gonna cry?
Speaker 3: That's bullshit. You've watched every single movie ever exists I and you know this is my favorite one. Are you asking I open them? I'm gonna cry, but I'm not. Okay, now you've left me explaining this movie. I feel like you can't even help me this time. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But also, which is my biggest sparable because you don't know what this movie is about.
Speaker 3: It's my favorite one. I do know.
Speaker 2: It's about two teenage girls who are best friends?
Speaker 3: Wrong?
Speaker 2: Oh, so Rock the Get Go? Is that in the UK?
Speaker 3: Is it in the UK?
Speaker 2: Great?
Speaker 3: Okay. It's about Georgia Groom. She's a teenage girl. She has like a group of girlfriends, but it's not one of those like I mean, there's second friendship stuff going on. And then another girl in the group, Jazz, her and Georgia want to like have a relationship. They want a boyfriend. And then these two boys joined the school, which is Aaron Taylor Johnson who plays Robbie and another guy who plays is really hot brother. Yeah, and they call them the sex gods, so important, and Georgia and Jazz tries to just get with them, and they like have iconic lines. Oh, it's just such good, good rom com storytelling. It is just so funny. I read the books first when I was young, So it's based on book. Yes, it's based on a series of books.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: And this movie was just the best. And also there were like so many rumors that Georgia would which is the name of the girl who plays Georgia. Yeah, and Aaron Taylor Johnson had a thing going on, but wasn't.
Speaker 2: He married then not yet? Okay, so he got married really young.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he got married literally after that, Like he met his now partner literally after the movie You're Up, when he was seventeen. Oh, and she married Rupert Grant and had a marribe.
Speaker 2: No, I'm across there, and their baby's name is Wednesday. I know that's okay.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad you know that. Anyway, So the whole movie is about her pining after Robbie. It's just one of those movies where you're like, you want her to end up with him so badly because she's like the shobby girl. They were doing all these like friendship things where they all like raid each other's features, like in the Girls, and she's like, who gave my nose a four? What's wrong with my nose? It sounds she like, so has to like tan her legs and they end up being orange and she does hands and he's like, Georgia, what have you done to your legs? He's like, they're like big cheesy pops. It's so funny. But it's like one of those movies where they do end up together, like a cute little teenage rom com, but you just know they're both going to go to different universities. They're both going to have different friendship. Groops are so different. She had this bigcoming of age and the thing in the movie, but the whole movie just shows him just being hot and that's why she wants him.
Speaker 2: That's so important, so.
Speaker 3: Important, especially for teenage. And he can sing and play guitar. Oh so so important. Oh my god, I need to send you to soundtrack You're going to fall in love?
Speaker 2: Why do to watch the movie first? I feel like I've watched it because I feel like I missed the boat, like I feel like you. It's like everyone's favorite movie. Everyone watched it together. I watched it sleep over.
Speaker 3: You have to watch it. I mean it sucks that Christmas is just over. Yeah, but you have to watch it with your sister.
Speaker 2: Oh which one?
Speaker 3: Lucy?
Speaker 2: Okay, Like this is a yet bit. She's seen it.
Speaker 3: She probably has seen it, and she'll probably be as mad as me. You haven't seen it, But you have to watch it with Lucy like some wine. All right, maybe maybe I'll come to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe you'll come to. I'll send her this Clipper's Wave invitation.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think you'll really enjoy I'm sure I will.
Speaker 2: It just hasn't come up so you've.
Speaker 3: Been like not understanding any of my quotes. Whenever I quote the mo He's going along, It is like.
Speaker 2: The fifth time We've talked about this movie every time, but this time I'm like, there's no way, I can't wait to talk about this all the time. And I look, I do a really good job of looking interested.
Speaker 3: This is not the way I wanted to start twenty twenty six. So sorry, but I'm glad we started off with the truth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we didn't lean in with the life. Yeah yeah, the lies in here.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Okay. So I was looking for a movie that could represent all the rom coms where we have a plague boy guy who sleeps around and suddenly drops it all for one woman, for one woman, and we're supposed to bleed it that this couple stays together and they didn't break up in a few months into relationship once he got over it, and the movie I have selected to represent all these movies. Wait, what do you think it's going to be?
Speaker 3: I'm scared I'm gonna guess it, and the I won't.
Speaker 2: Be a surprise, no, no, try and guess.
Speaker 3: Okay, is it? I forgot the name of it? Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling. No, is it pretty woman?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: But a Pretty Woman was on my list of movies, so obvious. No, but you know what, that was one of my movies. I couldn't bear to have that conversation, so I took on the list. Is it what are you gonna say?
Speaker 1: Sound?
Speaker 3: Amus, It's not it.
Speaker 2: It's not the sound of music. Do we think Maria and Captain von Trump stayed together?
Speaker 1: Can?
Speaker 2: I tell you yes? Because they didn't have a choice because they were running over the mountains with no money and seven children running from Nazis, And that will just make you say together. That's the thing.
Speaker 3: I like her children, You're gonna run the other way.
Speaker 2: She knows better than anyone. It's so true. That's one of those ones where it's a marriage of convenience. They have just stating up there, so unfortunately Maria couldn't escape. But I don't know, watch the watch the sequel. No, I don't know. If you've seen this movie, it's worth watching. It's a really good movie. But it is made of honor. The two thousand and eight rom com with Patrick Dempsey. Do you know this movie? Wait?
Speaker 3: Is this the one where like she liked him first.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's that whole thing of like two best friends. He doesn't love her, so the movie is so it's made of honor. So it's Patrick Dempsey who plays Tom, and Michelle Monagan as Hannah. So a lot of people would know Michelle from the last season of Whitelader. This is like the sexy movie star, but here she's just the kind of quiet girl next door best friend. So Tom and Hannah meet in college and they have like this almost took up but not really, and then it cuts to them as like full blown adults over a decade later, both living in New York, and Hannah is like very sweet, very girl next door, very very work focused, and Tom has become like a multi millionaire of this little coffee invention, so he just hangs out all day. And his whole thing is that he's like a playboy, and he hooks up with a different woman every Saturday night, and then every yeah, every Saturday night, he finds a new woman, goes on a date, it, comes back, has sex with her. Sunday morning, he wakes up early and kicks her out of the house because he spends every Sunday with his best friend Hannah where they do all the fun things like go to Central Park, get coffee, rent a boat, go and get dessert to share.
Speaker 3: So he's like dating Hannah but having sex with these other.
Speaker 2: Women, yeah, because she's just his best friend. And there's like they're so platonic. It's that whole thing of like two each different sex people who are just completely platonic because he's a playboy and she's like, you know, looking for true love and they just don't see each other that way. But then they have just a little bit of a moment at his dad's wedding where of course he brings her as his date because he doesn't bring the girls he hooks up with because he doesn't want anyone to think that he's like ready to date. And then they have a bit of a moment at the dad's wedding on the dance floor and he's like, oh, what does this mean? And then she says, Hey, I'm going to Scotland for works for six weeks. While she's away in Scotland, he starts to think, maybe I'm in love with Hannah, maybe she's the one, Maybe she's not just my best friend.
Speaker 3: Was sleeping with women on the Saturday.
Speaker 2: Still you gotta get yours. So when she comes back six weeks later, he's like, I'm gonna tell her I'm in love with her. And a lot of it is just that he's really lonely and it's kind of sick of hooking up with all those women and he misses his companion really, but Hannah comes so hard. It's so hard being rich and having all this time in the world. It's not good for the mind and body. So plot twist, he gets the airport and Hannah has come back from Scotland with a man, with her fiance with her fiancee. Yeahah, they fell in love, I know, because she was like stranded in Scotland and he saves her. And he's like the heir to this very rich family. He's like a low understand engagement Colin. He's from a very rich family who like invented Scotch or something like that. Played by Kevin McKidd who plays Owen on Grey's Anatomy. He was actually Scottish, but on Greys Anatomy here has an American accent.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, was this before Greys Anatomy? Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's like young.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like rugged Scotchman, and so Hannah's like, oh my god, I'm in love with him. I'm gonna move to Scotland. I love his family. We're gonna be together. And she's like, Tom, I want you to be my maid of honor, as in like my best man, because you're my golden Yeah, exactly. So then it's this whole thing, and then they all go to Scotland for this big, fancy wedding and a castle. It's one of those like week long weddings, and the whole time, Patrick Dempsey's character is trying to make Hannah fall in love with him and like sabotage the wedding, and it's this whole thing of like.
Speaker 3: Him trying to like I can't just leave women.
Speaker 2: I know, this whole thing.
Speaker 3: He goes two years to do this.
Speaker 2: She's like he like literally the night before her wedding half hooks up with another woman. Busy Phillips's character, she's so good in.
Speaker 3: This because it's like, no, you can't kick a habit even if it's a Saturday. His clock is something that's missing right.
Speaker 2: Now, and so it's actually a really good cast.
Speaker 3: So Busy Phillips is just in Everythinguzy Phillips.
Speaker 2: Is in it, Whitney Cummings is in it. It's a really good cast. Yeah. Like, literally the night before her wedding, like she thinks, oh, maybe I do want to be in love with Tom and he's kissing Busy Phillips. To be fair, he did try to stop the kiss and then he's literally banging on her door the night before her wedding, being like, I want to marry you, and she's like, go away, I'm marrying Colin.
Speaker 3: So she literally sends the room guys need a minute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I also try to make like Scottish traditions look really yuck. And I was like, how dare you how? It's a very romantic place, and then yeah, exactly. That's the thing. One of the reasons she doesn't want to marry him is he wears a kilt for his wedding. Oh my, he looks hot.
Speaker 3: Forget the one you don't deserve, Colin.
Speaker 2: I'll marry Colin. I still want to role still available. I'll go live in a castle in Scotland. So good. So literally, you have Patrick Dempsey in the last year riding a horse towards Hannah's wedding to like break it.
Speaker 3: Up where the horse.
Speaker 2: Well, he was leaving the wedding. Then he decides that he can't do that, and so the whole thing is them kissing and they go back to New York, and the whole thing is that they fall in love. Mum. Yeah, she leaves him in Scotland. It's the whole thing. But you know what, he dodged a bullet. I do believe he did it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're not gonna last.
Speaker 2: So my thing is that they it was all hot and sexy in Scotland after they broke up the wedding. They got on the plane once they landed and they got back home and she was like, okay, I'm going to work now, and like we're in a relationship. Do we live together? And he's like, oh, like he didn't think it. He didn't think this through. It's the whole thing that we see in rom comms of like the guy only wants the girl once he realizes someone else wants her, or because he wants to keep her there as like companionship into like y you know now she.
Speaker 3: Would have thrown off his routine. Yeah, and he loved his routine.
Speaker 2: He loved his routine. So his thing is like, Oh, I'll just marry her and we'll sleep together and we'll be great. But you just know the moment these guys go back to New York, Prick, it all crumbled away. Patrick Dempsey, that man has rouen so much, baby, this everything, so come on, put a stop exactly. This is a caveat that. I just need our producer Minitia to not listen to this because she's going to be quite upset. But I rewatched this movie recently and I just thought these guys did not end up together. And it's the movie music and lyrics is literally crying, starring Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore, Queen of our Hearts when it comes strong comms, you've seen this movie.
Speaker 3: I've seen this movie ages ago coms that I like see on repeat. Though, yeah, I watch it like it was one.
Speaker 2: Well, as I said, I watched Drew Braymore movies on repeat that I do love Hugh grand in everything, but this whole set okay, So if you're a cross, Hugh Grant in this movie plays Alex, who is a failed pop star. He had this big pop group and they had a few hit songs. He lives with those royalties. But his partner played by Shane who's so good in this left him and stole their songs and now he just does little part time gigs where he gets up on stage and sings his old songs by himself and gets drunken stuff. So Drew Barrymore plays his plant waterer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's that housekeeper.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, she's just said water the plants. Oh that's a whole job.
Speaker 3: Why did I picture her in like a maid's outfit?
Speaker 2: She doesn't just know she's she's that whole like eclectic girl living in the big city like two Cardians, two.
Speaker 3: Job Becken documentary that they get paid quite a lot.
Speaker 2: Houseplant water is yeah, yeah, but no in a huge mansion. I understand that you have a person just four plants. And I was like, so if you're having to do these gigs a business partner, I was like, so, if you're worried about money, can I tell you if I looked at your budget, the first thing I would cut is your plant waterer.
Speaker 3: And maybe the plants as well.
Speaker 2: I don't think you can to water those four plants. It's different if you have an office space or a mansion. But anyway, so already their relationship is going to fail because it's set up on a silly idea. So he gets tasked to write this song for this pop star called Korra who's kind of loosely based on Britney Spears, and he can't come up with the lyrics because the lyrics would never his thing. The melody is his thing. And then he realizes Sophie, which is Drew Barrymore's character, is this amazing writer, but she stopped writing because again this has coming backs never been kissed dry Barrymore's full circle. She hooked up with her professor in college, who then wrote a book about her and completely shattered her confidence. So Drew Barrymore and Q Grant's characters hook up to write this song, and as that happens, they start to fall in love and it all culminates and that is Yeah. Those scenes were at the piano are very sweet, like the words and yeah, and then it all culminates with her I'm getting to that. So it all culminates with her thinking that he's sold their song without her and her like ending their partnership, and then him coming out on stage and singing this beautiful love song that he wrote just for her because he found the words once he thought of how much he was in love with her.
Speaker 3: It's very like Lizzie Maguires.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, sure, that's not quite the same thing, but I guess there's a song at the end. There is, and that's what I was getting to. And that's literally the only thing the whole thing is. And we're supposed to think that Alex and Sophie live happily ever after. The thing is, these two don't have chemistry as people. That don't have chemistry as a couple. They only have chemistry as collaborators. So I believe they were collaborators who could occasionally have some good sex. But there's nothing about these too that made me think they stayed together. I think they hooked up a few times.
Speaker 3: I think Fleetwood Max situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, potentially, like they create good art together and that leads to good sex.
Speaker 3: I but you know what, I kind of agree. Yeah, not just saying that because I think it makes Manicia mad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, she's been very quiet join the sulting.
Speaker 3: In fact, I think they should have never been together.
Speaker 2: Fired. I mean probably there's there's would have been better. Yeah, and that in that moment. But yeah, I mean, look, he does do a few nice things for her, like that scene where they meet the professor who wrote the book about her after he slept with her in the restaurant and she tries to confront him and he goes and like gets his friend to give her the red dress to put on. I really do so, Okay, that's a huge point of the movie, so that she looks gorgeous when she goes up to confront him, but that she can't do it. So then Hugh Grant's character comes over and does it and they get in a fight. It's a whole like it like getting insoide that's nice. But I just don't think that they could sit on the couch together, or like have a home together, or go grocery shopping together, or get married. I don't believe that. So I believe they wanted to write a lot of songs together, hook up a lot. And then there's also a bit of a dick. Yeah, he was a bit of a dick, And I think that's kind of cute when like the jerk guy likes it's always kind of interesting when you're having sex with a guy who normally either ignores you, which he ignores her a lot or is kind of bit shitchy because in this one moment, their attention is completely on you and that's really addictive. Yeah, and so I think that is the basis for a lot of these rom coms of like the jerky guy who who decides to give her a chance, give her a chand and then you have sex and you're like, oh, but he does. He gives me attention that moment. But I don't think that their relationship could extend beyond the piano in the bedroom. Yeah, so they didn't say.
Speaker 3: Any seems like where she'll be like, hey, babe, can you do this one thing for me? And you'll be like, oh, but you're so much better at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's like, could you want of those plans because I'm not going to do it? Yeah, come on. So I hope we haven't crushed too many dreams today. I should say these are all great movies, because like if they were ship movies, we.
Speaker 3: I think we gave sound evidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and as we said, not every movie is meant to be about a long lasting love. Sometimes it's just a story about two people who fall them up with the moment and then the beauty from rom Com is the credits role. We never have to deal with the fallout, and that's why Romcom should never have sequels. I'm a big believer in it, okay, because then you have to break up the couple in a way or try and figure it away.
Speaker 3: How they say to me, another problem.
Speaker 2: They have to be one and done.
Speaker 3: I agree. Thank you so much for listening to the Spill today. If you love listening to our podcast, please give us a five our review on Apple or Spotify. It helps us bring you the best, best best content that we can and get excited because we are right back into the swing of things. On Monday, your regular Spill episode will be back in your feed at three pm as usual, bringing you all the latest celebrity news and pop culture deep dives. The Spill is produced by Minitia's Wine with our production by Scot Stronik and we will see you then.
Speaker 2: Bye bye bye, Mamma. Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land. We have recorded this podcast on the Gatigol people of the eorination. We pay our respects to their elders past and present, and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait islander cultures,