Speaker 1: You're listening to another mere podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello, Unleashes mea Friedman in your ears. And one of the things I love most about podcasts and Unleashed in particular, is the way you get to see different sides of our co hosts on this show. They're all amazing and accomplished in their own fields, and some of them you were probably familiar with before you started listening to the show. Some of them were probably new to you. But what I love about this show is that you get to see different sides of them, and you also get to see that kind of friendship chemistry dynamic that's developing in real time. So they're kind of getting to know and falling in love with each other, and we're all getting to know and falling in love with them. So many of you have said, we actually want more, We want to know these women even better. So today I've brought you from the Art Chives one of my first chats with doctor Ginny Mannsberg. I think it was the first time I met Ginny. She has a fascinating story of her own, and she's the kind of doctor that every woman dreams of having. She's honest, she's got a sense of humor, no bullshit, And she's an absolute expert on what your hormones are up to, particularly in this midlife stage that I'm at, our hosts are at, and you're probably at two or will be at soon. So if you love the unfiltered no Bs conversations that you get here on Unleashed, you are gonna love this episode from the archives of No Filter. Here is my one on one conversation with doctor Ginny Mansburg.
Speaker 3: So, seventy five percent of women will get hot flushes and it's a lot.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's seventy five percent is a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I thought you were going to say, oh, you know, it's only twenty percent.
Speaker 1: No, it's a lot most of us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and a third of those men will find them unbearable. So that in my back of the envelope, Mask says that one in five women will hit menopause with unbearable hot flushes.
Speaker 1: That is a big group of us. Hello, and welcome to No Filter.
Speaker 2: I'm mea friedman and I'm possibly perimenopausal. Before you say to yourself, well that is too much information. I don't want to know about your periods. Thanks, Look, I guess that's fair enough. However, if you are a woman or a man who knows a woman, Perry menopause, which is the little sister to actual menopause, is coming into your life at some stage, and so you better be prepared for it, because you know what, It's not just about your period stopping.
Speaker 1: Oh no, Harry.
Speaker 2: Menopause can last as long as seven years, can start as early as your thirties, and can include everything from changes to your genitals to changes in your mood, big changes. Doctor Jenny Mansberg knows a lot about perimenopause, and because she's in her fifties now and she's going through it too as many of her patients, she's written a book called The m Wor that busts myths and offers plenty of advice. Ginny herself is pretty awesome. She's been a single mum, a political advisor, she has a skincare company as her side hustle. She's hosted TV shows, and she continues to work.
Speaker 1: In general practice. So if you have a vagina or know someone who does.
Speaker 2: You'll really want to hear this conversation.
Speaker 1: Here's Ginny.
Speaker 2: Tell me about your first date with your second husband.
Speaker 1: Have you heard about this? I've heard about this.
Speaker 2: It's the best story I've ever heard about a first day.
Speaker 3: So he had three children. I had three children. I had managed to get all three on a sleep out. The eldest was fifteen. I had wanted this first date for so long, and he was so rude. He rang me on a Thursday and said, are you busy on Saturday night? And I went, oh, no, rang the other blow canceled that date, spent the entire day getting ready.
Speaker 1: We went out to a restaurant.
Speaker 3: It was just going so well for about the first half hour.
Speaker 1: And known each other for a while.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we known each other for ages, but he just had never asked amount of day whatever anyway, So I basically the meals got put in front of us, and I got a phone call from my eldest son's friend, the other fifteen year old, to say, can you come and pick up Sam.
Speaker 1: He's not feeling very well Saturday night.
Speaker 3: Saturday night, it was his first experience of the Schmirnoff virus, which is basically he was legless, he couldn't talk. He was standing there sitting lying down in the guy's driveway in his jeans, covered him vomit. I said to Daniel listen, you don't need to come, just you know, drop me off at home.
Speaker 1: I'll do this. He's like, no, no, no, I'll come, I'll do this.
Speaker 3: So he arrives in his amazingly gorgeous car, not like my, you know, rubbish. So we're in his car. He picks up Sam. Now Daniel's now covered in vomit. He puts Sam on his back in his back seat, so Sam's head is on the baby seat and Sam.
Speaker 1: La, la la, and his vomit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, I think he's spewed about four times on the way home. We get we get home, Daniel picks him up, carries him into the shower. Sam still hasn't opened his eyes at this point, and we put him in the fetal position, the left lateral position, you know, which is appropriate for vomiting, because he's continuing to vomit in the shower. And Daniel turns on the warm water, but it comes out cold, and Sam basically sat up, looked at him. First time he was conscious and yelled out a lot of expletives that I won't repeat here, and then passed out again. And I just said, Daniel, this is my son, Sam, who's a really.
Speaker 1: Nice kid, and he really is a lovely kid.
Speaker 3: And Daniel said, well, I think I'll go now, because he was now literally swimming and vomit. His car was covered in vomit, his baby seat, his baby seat was covered in vomit. And he said, I'll come back to help you get him into bed, because he was a big boy and I'm a small girl. And I was like, he's not coming back. You just ruined my first date. I'm going to kill you, kid. Anyway, I basically managed to drag Sam into his bed. I put it back next to his bed, and I said, if if you want to vomit, vomit in the bucket. I went and had a shower, took all my makeup off, I now had wet hair. I was in a tracksuit. And Daniel came back. What a man, What a man?
Speaker 2: And he hasn't left blended families? Is it like the Brady bunch? He had three? You had three?
Speaker 1: No alice. I'd like an alice. We all would like an alice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you'll find one lying around, give him my number. My husband would say, no Den.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the Den. And also Carol didn't have a lot to do. No Carol Carol quite leisurely.
Speaker 2: Work outside the home, and yet you did so when you guys got together, how do you blend a family?
Speaker 3: Well, we had all these crazy fantasies about how it was all going to work.
Speaker 1: And I remember the first time we got all the kids together.
Speaker 3: And we put on some Sunday night movie and I remember Tara, Daniel's littleis sat on David, my second eldest lap, and they're all watching together, and we just stood there looking at them, going, this is the way it's always going to be? Isn't it beautiful? Didn't we make a fabulous decision here? There's been a lot of ups and downs, a lot of kinks in the road. I think you just need to lean into it and just go with it and don't have too many preconceived ideas about how good it's going to be. You had two sets of kids at different life stages, didn't you. So Yours were kind of teens at the time and his were twains and even littler.
Speaker 1: How old were his when you got together?
Speaker 3: So I think they were like ten, eight and five something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So how do you like?
Speaker 2: They're two very different worlds that you're in. How do you kind of blend those two different life stages.
Speaker 1: Well, it's just.
Speaker 3: Busy because you've got to be running to so many different sports on a weekend, there are six sets of sports to be running to. Someone's got to get dragged along. You can't really do that together anyway. If there's I mean, they's just that he has such gorgeous girls. I'm just very lucky that, you know, none of them were terrible, dreadful, you know.
Speaker 2: Kids, so they were very easy to let, didn't hate you, no.
Speaker 3: And what we're really lucky is that they've got a mom, and so I was able to be that benevolent auntie. And I really love his daughters the way I love my nieces and nephews, because you know, I adore them. But somebody else has got all the responsibility. That's a lovely position to be in, and I'm very grateful for that.
Speaker 2: I grew up in a blended family too. My brother had a different father, so how One of the things that can be hard to manage is, as you say, you know, your first husband was in your kid's life, and Daniel's first partner was in his kid's life. So that's one to three different households that you've got people coming and going from, well, I did manage that.
Speaker 3: So my kids did not have a lot of contact with their dad, so they've never slept over at his place. Interestingly, now as they're all adults, they're all really close. It's an amazingly close relationship, and the fact that he was unable to sort of be there in their childhood has not really made any difference to the way their relationship is now, which I think is amazing and very good news for any dat out there who's really worried about not getting enough access to his children.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter. It can all work out really really well.
Speaker 3: But at the time, there were only there was only one household for my children, and that was so easy. And I could watch what was happening to my stepdaughters having to negotiate two sets of rules to households, two sets of toothbrushes, two sets of school uniforms. That was really tough compared to my kids, who just had a bedroom in a place that they did homework. That was much easier for them, I have to say. And in a way, we've ended up in this really good space where the kids absolutely are very close to their stepdad very close to their dad, and I never had to negotiate one set of rules, so that was really easy. On the other hand, I think my stepdaughter's benefited from two homes and four effective parents, which is really, I guess a good thing too.
Speaker 2: When your first marriage broke down, your three kids were pretty young, and you weren't working full time at that time, and you weren't particularly financially independent, were you.
Speaker 3: I was clueless. There's just no other word for it. I mean, I spent money and I didn't even think about how the credit cards got paid. At the end of the month I worked. My husband said, work. If you want to work, don't work. If you don't want to work, it's completely up to you. So it was wonderful.
Speaker 1: You're a doctor, you're working as a GP.
Speaker 3: But like two mornings away, let's be honest, that's not really going to cut it for most women.
Speaker 1: Know, more like a hobby. Yeah, it was a hobby. It was lovely. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: And if I couldn't go to work because I had a friend's lunch on, I'd just bring my boss and say I can't do that day.
Speaker 1: It was fine.
Speaker 3: Wow, did that all change? And it was literally overnight. I had the full carriage of the finances for myself and my three children on my own, and so I had to learn pretty quickly, and I had to work out how to use Excel and a spreadsheet. So my best girlfriend, who's really really financially savvy and works in the finance industry, was like, so, what do you need to live? And I was like, I have no idea. So she was sitting there with me, going, well, how much does insurance cost? Do they need braces? You know, yes, that all three needed braces at the same time. Yeah, that's fine. So you just need to work out what it is that you need to live, what do you need to earn pre tag to be able to support that, And if you want to save for something like a holiday, how much more do you need to earn? And my first holiday was about five years after I got divorced, and I was so excited.
Speaker 1: I took all the kids to Bali.
Speaker 3: And it's still the most emotional holiday of my life because I did that for them.
Speaker 2: Often when it comes to this idea of women working after they've had kids, it boils down, or some people think it boils down to this issue of feminism, and you know you should try to get the corner office and you should brah rah rah, and I but it's my choice.
Speaker 1: I want to stay home.
Speaker 2: And I'm always like, it's not about It's about being able to look after yourself if something happens, if your partner leaves, if your marriage breaks down, if your partner dies, like you just don't know what's going to happen.
Speaker 1: And if you don't have.
Speaker 2: Any ability, any skills, any job history to fall back on, you are very vulnerable.
Speaker 3: And it's interesting because it has that experiences of having to pick up full time work, be financially savvy, balance the books at home from zero has really impacted on the way I relate to my daughter and to my three step daughters, and in the way they approach school and university. So just I'm so desperate for them to be financially have the wherewithal to be financially independent, and not to assume that their ticket to success and happiness is through a man.
Speaker 1: Is not a financial plan. God, that's great. Love that.
Speaker 2: So, skipping forward, I want to ask about your experience with perimenopause and then menopause. How did you know you were something was up. I mean, you're a doctor, so presumably you're fairly alert to changes in your own body.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I guess.
Speaker 3: So I'm now fifty one, which is plum menopause age. And I don't think home anywhere close to menopause yet it doesn't look like I'm at this late stage of perimenopause. But the first thing was just not being able to sleep. And I guess you know, I just went, well, you know, I'm forty six. I guess you know I'm plum perimenopause age. I've always been an Olympic level sleeper. I can yeah, we say, yeah, like eight hours on a plane, no drama. I don't need to sleeping pill. I can sleep sitting up, standing up. Probably that has never been an issue. And all of a sudden, I'm not great at that whole sleeping thing anymore. And I remember my parents complaining about sleeping, and I'd been like, oh, come on, guys, you know how hard can it be?
Speaker 2: Just shut your eyes, go to bed so you can't get to sleep, or you wake up through the night.
Speaker 3: Both get back more than waking up. I mean you're often so exhausted, often by you know, eight o'clock when you want some scintillating conversation with your partner and all you can do is just one word, monosyllable come out that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that word is Netflix.
Speaker 3: Netflix is like, that's all I want to do right now. We swore, we swore we would never have a TV in the bedroom. We just didn't want that sleep.
Speaker 1: Howd that go for you? It's so there now.
Speaker 3: Because I can't dog and you know, and I'm falling asleep, like literally three minutes into whatever's on. But you know, come eleven o'clock, I'm up, and that has I have not been a good sleeper now for five years.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to try to not treat this as a consultation with you as my doctor, but possibly I will because I am going to describe some of my symptoms to you, and you tell me if they seem perimenopausal. I'm angry a lot, yep, I'm weepy a lot, yep. My skin is itchy. Yes, I've got a marina and which I had to have because my periods suddenly became very heavy after never having heavy periods. But and that's been great for the last few years, and it was making me very iron efficient. But I'm now even getting breakthrough periods through my marina.
Speaker 1: What else.
Speaker 2: I've got a hair coming out of my chin off, only one in one, very persistent one.
Speaker 1: I call it Erica.
Speaker 2: And it just appears overnight and it's like the length of a dog lead, just overnight, and the night before it wasn't there.
Speaker 1: Is it gray yet? It's not gray?
Speaker 2: But yes, there's gray issues happening in all sorts of places, including even the odd gray eyebrow that was fun.
Speaker 1: I've got to pluck those out of it.
Speaker 2: I've got wind caused and pimples and I haven't had pimples for ages.
Speaker 1: Amazing speak to me.
Speaker 3: Okay, So menopause happens when your ovaries basically stop working all together. So that's you know, it's fairly obvious, and you stop having any periods whatsoever. But in the lead up to menopause, your ovaries don't do very well what they're designed to do, which is basically to produce egg of the months to go off and meet the sperm of its dreams.
Speaker 1: That bit doesn't work that well.
Speaker 3: So normally we don't even know why One egg gets selected and it basically goes off, it grows in a little bubble, and then when that bubble gets big enough it bursts. It goes into the fallopian tube to do what it does, and that bubble then becomes a progesterone producing factory. It is maze balls. So basically the way it does it is it takes your male hormone, your androgens and spits them out as progesterone. Now, progesterone is awesome because it calms you down, it's sort of quite relaxing, it helps you sleep, and it's also good because it gets rid of your male hormone. If that system is not very efficient, which it really isn't for quite a few years, you get a couple of things happening. Number one, not enough progesterone, so you're not a good sleeper anymore, and you can get really angry, and you can get really weepy and teary because you don't have any calming hormones in your body. And on top of that, you're getting a build up of androgens male hormones, so chin hairs, pimples, fantastic oily skin, but also you've got really dry and itches thin. At the same time, it's all happening on the one.
Speaker 1: Face itching myself now a happy days. Yes, I call it hormone hell. It's just the absolute worst.
Speaker 2: And you talk in the book about how it's kind of there's not much points. I keept saying I'm going to go to my GP and get my blood my hormones tested, but you kind of say that there's no point in doing that.
Speaker 1: And why is that?
Speaker 3: Because hour to hour they're different, minute to minute, they're different day to.
Speaker 1: Day they're doing That's how it feels inside. You can almost tell.
Speaker 3: You can almost tell when your estrogen is surging, and there's no balancing progesterone. You can tell when that's happening. And so there's no point in getting a blood test because it might be different in three hours time, So there's no I often get asked for hormone tests, which I think a code for I'm really weepy and really teary and I'm just yelling at the kids and I'm yelling at my husband, and help me, I listen to the help me cry in that rather than sort of going down the blood test route, which is often unhelpful.
Speaker 1: I mean, we do need to look at.
Speaker 3: Your thyroid and your land, particularly if we're going through what you and I. I've also got the marina in at the moment, I'm getting a new one, I think next week, but it's you know, I'm also getting periods despite the marina.
Speaker 1: I went to my gynecologist and my.
Speaker 3: Six week check up after my daughter twenty three years ago and said, can you put this in? I never ever want to have a period again, And I didn't until I turned forty six. And now I've got periods. And now I'm fifty one, and I'm going to need to get another one because we're still fertile despite all of this. If we actually are ovulating, and it is a bit sporadic, you can ovulate twice during perimenopause, so you can get twins. Yeah, and if you do go on hormone therapy, it's not enough to stop that. It won't be a good contraception.
Speaker 2: How long does perimenopause last?
Speaker 1: On average? About seven years?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Cool? Yeah, great, isn't it fantastic?
Speaker 2: And I hear a lot about hot flashes. You know, that's kind of like the I'd never even heard of perimenopause. I'd heard of menopause, but I always said that was something for old ladies and then this pary thing seems to when does it sort of to kick in for is it all women or just some women?
Speaker 3: Most women or women will have a perimenopause period and it can be look one in four of us get heavy periods, but and the others don't. Not everybody gets more aggressive, not everybody gets less sleep, not everybody gets skin changes, but everybody gets something that's absolutely for sure. When does it start around sort of seven to eight years before you go through menopause, so that can be in your late thirties for some women that can definitely hap Is.
Speaker 2: It good to ask your mum how old she was? Is that an indicator of when it might happen to you?
Speaker 3: We don't have really good study data on that, but anecdotally, all the menopause experts that I speak to you say absolutely yes, yes, you can almost date it to when your mum had menopause, which is not good news for me because my mum was almost sixty.
Speaker 2: Treatments of also changed a lot. Like when my mum was my age. I guess her perimion apausal symptoms were incredibly heavy periods that were so debilitating and the answer back then thirty years ago its heystroctomies which brought you into sudden onset menopause. It's not treated like that anymore though, now, is it like what are if someone comes to you presenting with perimenopausal symptoms, will you try to treat the individual symptoms or is there like a pill?
Speaker 3: So it depends on what the symptoms are, So we would really break them down because at the end of the day, something like mental health issues, we need.
Speaker 1: To take those seriously, regardless of the cause.
Speaker 3: I mean, it doesn't matter if it's happened because you've lost your job or because you're in perimenopause. If you are not coping, that is potentially a fatal illness because you know, we still do see suicide amongst menopausal perimenopausal women. So we need to take it quite seriously, and we might need to treat that in its own little bubble, quite separately to the chin heads, which we do have treatment for that as well. Tweezers I like those, but you could also get electrolysis, and you could also get laser, and you can also get a cream that actually slows down hair growth on your chin. We can talk about that later, but we can also treat your acne. We wouldn't treat your acne differently to the way we would treat let's say, acne when you're twenty. Seriously, we've got all the same sort of creams and even tablets available to you that we would just use short term. But if you can get away with hormone treatment that will scoop up all of it into one little bucket, how good would that be? I can't promise you, but it has reasonably good evidence for it.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about HRT hormone replacement therapy. I, like most women of my age, my only knowledge and understanding of menopause really is through half listening to my mother and half thinking, you know, conversations or things that she might have said, or conversations that we've had. And you tend to be pretty uncurious about what your parents are going through in their lives, and it feels like it's a long way away and it will never.
Speaker 1: Be relevant to me.
Speaker 2: But I do have in my head that HRT causes bread cancer and that it's a terrible thing and that no one must ever have it. And in fact, I said to my mum the other day, are you an HRT or not? Because like should I be worried, and she said that she had a really good gynecologist who had calmed her down during the big HRT scare of a number of years ago. Can you just talk a little bit about HRT and whether it's evil or a great thing?
Speaker 3: So I think it's a great thing. Basically all of the drama happened in two thousand and two. So in the nineteen eighties and nineteen nineties HRT was amongst the highest selling medication in the world, and drug companies were cleaning up from HRT. And one of the things that it did, apart from relieving hot flushes, and they said, keep you more youthful and make you look fabulous and keep your vagina healthy, which is all fantastic, it also seemed to prevent chronic diseases, particularly osteoporosis with fracture, which can be fatal. That's actually quite a nasty one.
Speaker 2: Because your bones lose density around it peratidly.
Speaker 1: First year it starts happening and it really unwinds quite quickly, which makes you more prone to breaks.
Speaker 3: Yes, which is if you just fracture your wrist, that's inconvenient, but if you fracture your hip you know, a third of people will die within a year, so it's a really nasty fracture.
Speaker 1: We want to prevent that if we can.
Speaker 3: But it also prevented heart disease to the point where the American Heart Association indoorsed HRT as a preventor of heart disease for women. And so there was a massive study that was undertaken called the Women's Health Initiative Study, designed to look at exactly that did HRT taken regardless of menopause symptoms, reduce heart disease. And so they recruited one hundred and sixty thousand women for what we call a prospective trial, and it was randomized and place Ebo control. Now doctors just go gaga over these trials because we weren't looking backwards and going hey, did you have HRT or not, because sometimes that data is unreliable. This was looking forward, and we literally put women into two groups, those who took HRT and those who didn't, and we followed them up designed to see, hey, can we prevent heart disease even if we're not trying to get rid of your hot flushes. So the average age of women who were recruited into this troll was sixty three, well past the age where most women are even getting hot flushes anymore. In fact, twenty percent were over seventy, so we had a very old cohort, and in fact most of them were overweight, so they were already at risk of heart disease. And guess what, five years into it, we found that there was a small but significant increase in the women who took HRT having breast cancer. So for every ten thousand women who took a place Ebo, we would expect thirty breast cancers, but thirty eight in the group who took the HRT. The HRT that they were taking is in a form that is basically not used today. It was an oral form of HIT. We don't tend to use a lot of tablets these days. And it was also an old school formulation that again we just don't use anymore. But they needed to stop the troll early and that had huge media attention and the headlines read HRT causes cancer. If you looked at the subset of women who were taking it between the ages of fifty and fifty nine starting it, they actually had no higher risk of breast cancer whatsoever. And if you look at the fact that the group that were taking the HRT were much older, they were much fatter, they were at higher risk for breast cancer. Anyway, when you look at the fact that even in that trial, taking HRT increased your risk of cancer about the same as having a glass of wine a day, or being overweight or not doing exercise, and less than having all of those three together, which is not an uncommon combination for women our age. So that bit was not in the headlines. And all we know is that eighty percent of women who were at that stage taking HIT chucked it in the bin and stopped. There were three hundred and thirty million dollars worth of lawsuits against various drug companies. It set one of them bankrupt. The biggest maker of HIT at that stage went bankrupt.
Speaker 1: Well, it got sold for a very low price to another drug company.
Speaker 3: A lot of drug company said we're not going to invest in the women's health space around menopause anymore. It's just too risky and there's too many lawsuits, and doctors wouldn't prescribe it because doctors were sued too, and so doctor said, we're not prescribing this anymore. It's too dangerous. Governments came in and insisted that HRT has black box warnings, so like cigarette, exactly like cigarette, saying this can give you breast cancer. And despite the fact that subsequent analysis of this study has said, no, it doesn't really increase the risk of breast cancer at all if you take it, even in those old formulations which we don't use anymore, if you took it at when menopause just started for the relief of hot flushes, it doesn't increase the risk of breast cancer. We still have this fear that is pervasive today that I see daily in my practice that women if I say, you know, we could try HRT, you.
Speaker 2: See, I would go, oh, no, I won't do that. I'll try lighting a candle instead.
Speaker 1: Yes, let me you know, I'll meditate, I'll have some macupuncture. Yeah. Do any of those things work? Some of them might work.
Speaker 3: The problem is with any trial that the more statistical power we have, the more we go that definitely works. So a trial, an unrandomized trial of thirteen people for three weeks, is never going to get any power behind it. So we have lots of these little trials that show lots of benefit for lots of different complementary and alternative therapies, but doctors can't really go, yeah, that's great evidence. It's not evidence the way a one hundred and sixty thousand people, you know, prospective randomized plus EBO controlled trial is. And we're never going to get those big trials because who's going to pay for them. I mean it's drug companies that will pay for that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: On the whole, you talked about how in your book that because of what happened in two thousand and two, there's a whole generation of doctors who don't know anything about prescribing HRT because what I didn't realize is that it's not just a one pill. It's like a quite bespoke, isn't it, depending on what your symptoms are and what you're trying to cure.
Speaker 1: I think that's absolutely right.
Speaker 3: And a lot of the newer, more popular formulations amongst people who like prescribing for menopause have come on to the market since the WHI the Women's Health Initiative study back in two thousand and.
Speaker 1: Two has stopped.
Speaker 3: And therefore the doctors who said I'm not prescribing that never got familiar with these newer forms things like micronized progesterone or estrogen gels that you put on your skin. Those doctors never found out about it, and they're too scared to prescribe it anyway. But they really don't prescribe it very well if they will prescribe it, and so a lot of women will say, oh, I tried HIT and it didn't work for me, And in fact, they just didn't get the right formulation for them.
Speaker 2: You've mentioned hot flushes a couple of times. That's kind of the most commonly understood and recognized symptom of menopause. Can you explain what a hot flush is physiologically and the so, what does it feel like?
Speaker 1: Like? Do you have? Have you had them? I think so, but I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: I know that I'm very hot at night now and I drive my husband crazy, but it's never been a flush. So I think women do experience them differently. So some women go from zero to like fifty degrees break out. You've seen them, you know, they go bright red, they start sweating, they start fanning themselves. A lot of them just quickly stripping off their clothing and it's quite dramatic. There are other women who just run hot and they drive everybody mad at work because they want, you know, the temperature of the air conditioning sort of set to thirteen degrees and everybody else is in a ski parker and they're just sitting there going, oh goodness, it's just so.
Speaker 1: Hot in here.
Speaker 3: And there are some women who run hot at night, and it is different for everybody, and we still don't really understand the physiology of it.
Speaker 1: Does every woman get them?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, So seventy five percent of women will get hot flushes and it's.
Speaker 1: Still a lot.
Speaker 2: Well, it's I think it's seventy five percent is a lot. Yeah, and I thought you were going to say, oh, you know, only twenty percent.
Speaker 1: No, it's a lot most of us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And a third of those men will find them unbearable. So that in my back of the envelope, MASK says that one in five women will hit menopause with unbearable hot flushes. That is a big group of us, a big group of our girlfriends that it's happening to.
Speaker 1: What are the treatments for hot flushes?
Speaker 3: Well, you could do some really simple lifestyle stuff like you know, carry a fan and dress in layers so that if it happens. You can get undressed really quickly and have cold water on your desk and always have you know, ice with you, and that's really helpful. It is definitely helpful. We know that women who smoke have worse hot flushes. We know that women who are overweight have worse hot flushes. So if your doctor tells you to lose weight, it's not entirely being patronizing. However, that will at best manage it, and it's probably less likely to take them from unbearable to bearable.
Speaker 1: It's probably just.
Speaker 3: Going to make the unbearable moments maybe from ten to nine and a half. I don't call that a treatment. I call that kind of okay. It's not bad advice.
Speaker 1: If you want to get rid of them.
Speaker 3: The one that has ninety six percent efficacy is hormone replacement therapy. So here we are back in this catch twenty two where there is a treatment that's available. It's incredibly effective, and yet it's very hard to access for most women.
Speaker 1: But why is HRT hard to access? It's not an illegal drug, no, but it's expensive.
Speaker 3: A lot of it is not funded through the Pharmaceutical Benefit Scheme, so a lot of it is super expensive, particularly the better newer forms of HRT like how expensive, Oh like it could be like seventy bucks a month, which is very expensive. Plus you still find it difficult to find doctors who go absolutely, let me get my scriptpad out.
Speaker 1: I know what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: My recommendation is we start with this and this, and I'll see you again another month and we'll kind of go from there. I mean, when it comes to testosterone for women, which is endorsed by the International Menopause Society for low libido in particular women, and it really can be quite amazing.
Speaker 1: Try and find doctors to prestis that for you? That is really really difficult.
Speaker 3: But I think times are changing as more doctors are women, and as more women doctors are reaching my age, so those of us in our fifties all of a sudden super super interested in this.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And so weirdly enough, the ranks of the Australian Menopause Society are starting to swell. It has been slow, but we're getting there.
Speaker 2: What should you do if your symptoms are unbearable?
Speaker 1: Should you? I rang?
Speaker 2: I mean most GP practices now there's a bunch of people and you have to be comfortable with whoever you see. And I rang and said, is there anyone who specializes?
Speaker 1: Is that what you should do? You can, but there are so few.
Speaker 3: YEA, Since I wrote this book because I'm a member of the Australian Menopause Society, so I just thought, you know, you'd go and find your local Australian Menopause Society doctor and you'd go to them because we all really really interested in it, except for there's not a lot of us, and for example, there's nobody in the Northern Territory at all. So I've had lots of women reach out from the NT going well, okay, that's great advice, but there is no one in the entire territory.
Speaker 2: That is an expert in understanding HIT and the different you know, treatments and therapies.
Speaker 3: The number of doctors in New South Wales alone, which is my state, is really small, and there might be like there's one in Orange and there's one in Newcastle that there's just not a lot of us around.
Speaker 1: So then I guess you're going to need to go to.
Speaker 3: Hopefully your doctor can help you. But I think this is one of the reasons I wrote this book is because it is so hard to go to your doctor, and if your doctor says I'm not prescribing you this for you it's dangerous, or gives you a formulation that is I mean, I've heard of patients who've been for ten years on formulations I don't think are great. You know, they are not as safe as some of the other formulations we have today, or they might give you something that you know, because the guidelines were back then, start as lower dose as possible. I can tell you that if the lowest dose possible fixes your hot flush, as you probably didn't need it in the first place. It's one of those things where you need to need to give it a reasonable dose, so there's just kind of no point in taking it.
Speaker 1: So but if there are doctors who say, I.
Speaker 3: Won't give you anything more than the absolute lowest dose of ATEN, and it's not going to do that much for you. So one of my concerns is it's very hard to access good treatment and it's almost the only area. I mean, I would say gps in this country are excellent and practically everything. If you've got asthma, heart disease, a gastrobug, if you've even if you've got depression, if you've got acne. Doctors are all over this and they're really good treatment algorithms out there, but when it comes to treating the symptoms of menopause, it can be really, really tough.
Speaker 1: There's been a.
Speaker 2: Lot of sort of pop culture references to the Karen, Yes, the Karen true Karen, the Karen with the asymmetrical blonde haircut, who is always wanting to complain to the manager.
Speaker 1: Is Karen just hairy aphosal?
Speaker 3: I reckon, Karen could absolutely be in plum perimenopause and you just feel like going.
Speaker 1: You could go to the soccer coach, or you could go to the doctor and get some HRT, you know, go and complain to the teachers.
Speaker 2: Like because I feel very Karen at the moment. It feels like a bit like when I used to get PMT when I was younger, where it's like you're you just have no tolerance for anything, and so all the kind of the buffer that's usually between you and the world that's like, I'll let that slide, I'll let that slide. It suddenly feels in my life that I can't let anything slide in any area of my life, whether it's a conversation with my husband, or you know the coffee that I got served that's not right. Yeah, Is that symptomatic of perimenopause or have I just run out of shits to give?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, that's I mean, probably a combination of both, but it is definitely, I mean, that is almost you're describing the classic perimenopause kind of symptoms. And this is often happening to him, like you had PMS when you were younger, But this is often happening to women who have never had any mental health stuff go on in their life ever. And I've had patients come to me like who are losing it from anxiety and depression and just fighting with every It had been big bus stops at work, like was always the easy going one and then just like yelling her people at work, and then when you go into it, like that's what's really worrying them. They're coming to me thinking, oh, I need a bit of an antidepressant, which they might it's possible, but also at the same time, they've got aches and pains, and they've got sore legs, and they've got sore back, and then they're just not sleeping very well and they're getting some hot flushes and then they're just not wanting sex anymore at all. Like sex is just like, oh, please go away with your hot body, get.
Speaker 1: Away from me.
Speaker 3: And when you put all those things together, often the HRT will get rid of all the moon swings as well. So it's I can't promise, but in my experience as a doctor, it's a pretty good place to start because it wraps up.
Speaker 1: So much of the symptoms that you're having.
Speaker 2: Can we talk about sex and vaginas?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Please please tell me what impact perimenopause has on your vagina enormous?
Speaker 3: So what powers the vaginal cells to there like a self cleaning oven. They are just amazing little cells, so they keep their cells are quite plump. They have a nice buffer between you know, the penis that's coming into it, or possibly the finger or the tampon, and you know the rest of the tissues deep inside the pelvis. They make a lot of lubricating fluid, They make yourself cleaning fluid, and that all just goes to hell basically when there's not enough estrogen going on. So in the second half of perimenopause, you don't only lose your progesterone, you start losing your estrogen as well, and that really has lots of women disproportionate effects on the vagina. So instead of sex being enjoyable, it really does feel like a sandpaper cupvered baton is being rammed into your vagina. It's not fun and sex and that doesn't do great things for your libido if it's uncomfortable, but then.
Speaker 2: Sign me up for that, please, Yes, more sound paper, Yes, love that.
Speaker 3: And then also it affects your bladder, so like you feel like you're needing to pee in the middle of the night all the time.
Speaker 2: Yes, I need to get up. I never used to get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. What's that about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So that is all to do with a combination of getting older and the tissues of the vagina and the urethra that comes out at the vulver. So the urethra is the little tube that takes wheed from the bladder into the vulver at the front, just in front of your actual vagina, And when those tissues start getting weaker and thinner, then your bladder just becomes a lot less able to sort of hold your WII and it just discharges and that's the other thing. The key in the door, you know where you just basically if you don't weigh right this second, you're going to wet yourself. That's another feature that happens. More urine retract infections. Like you feel like you're back to you know, when you're swinging from the chandeliers when you first started having sex.
Speaker 1: You're getting more.
Speaker 3: Urine infections all the time. You're like, come on, I'm not even having sex that often. What's going on with that? And all of that stuff? Like, you know, doing a gym class is just going to be very hot, very sweaty, and very similli in your underpants as well. So a lot of women stop doing as much exercise. It's just too hard and that doesn't help their mental health. So you just get this kind of big circular spiral of yuck.
Speaker 2: That makes so much sense because I was saying to someone the other day this thing happens seems to happen as you get older, where it's like your eyes you need to go to the toilet, and your eyes see the toilet and then your body just goes, oh, we're going to the toilet.
Speaker 1: And now I was like, no, not yet, can I just pull my pants down for sin, sit down. Your timing is off, give you a second. It's just totally what happens.
Speaker 3: And then you know that's your what we call the urging continents. And then stressing continence is when you jump up and down at an aerobic space, which is just not joyabul anymore. It's just potentially very embarrassing, where dark gym pants is my advice, but you know that kind of stuff happens as well, and then you've often got a combination of the.
Speaker 1: Two, which is just awesome.
Speaker 2: I watched an interview that you did on Sunrise with Koshi and Sam, and it was to talk about your book. And in the introduction, Sam, who is younger than us, she's I think maybe forty or in early forties, and she said, oh, we're going to be talking about menopause, you know, hang on to your hats Koshi, as if like Koshi was going to hate this, and then it was actually Koshi who was like leaning in and saying this is really bad and this is really hard.
Speaker 1: And can we talk about this?
Speaker 2: And I thought, ah, so interesting, Like you would expect the woman to be more sympathetic, but I can also relate to Sam, it's like, oh, menopause or crazy women stuff when you're not up to that stage yet. But Koshi's I've obviously been through it with his wife, and I thought that was really interesting his insight, because it really can impact on marriages and relationships.
Speaker 1: Come on so much.
Speaker 3: I mean, for a start, a lot of women don't want to have sex anymore, so that's a big thing. Number Two, if the woman's cranky and just yelling at him all the time and he doesn't know what he's done, and he personally because we all do see everything through our own lens instead of from the other person's lens, and then you know, sleep is interrupted because the doners on, the doners off, the doners on, the doners off. She wants the air conditioning on to twelve degrees and he's like, I need five sets of pajamas. It does impact on partners a lot, and they're expected just to shut up, and the women are expected to just shut up. And I don't think we I mean, I think there can be this stereotype of feminism that we've got to be allowed to bring all of our complaints out into the open, and everybody's got to be clucking around us and going, oh, you poor thing. I've never been somebody to wallow in self pity. We've got great treatment. But instead of taking treatment off the table and shaming women from seeking treatment, we've got to say you have a right to access every treatment that there is out there in an evidence based way, and not to be harmed with fear that is unnecessary that takes treatment off the table, which implies that you should just suck it up.
Speaker 1: Princess.
Speaker 2: Do you think a lot of marriages and relationships break down because women think that that's what's making them angry and weep?
Speaker 1: I wonder.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a really interesting how you'd study, but like there's a real sense of midlife crisis about it, because just nothing in your life sort of seems right. And you mentioned also anxiety, depression. Just list some of the real off some of the symptoms of perimenopause and menopause.
Speaker 3: So we've already talked about the vagina, we've talked about the hot flushes, we've talked about the mental health stuff, but we haven't talked about the itching, the bloating, the weight gain, the aches and pains, which in some studies are actually more common symptoms than hot flushes, and that's particularly true of women who are Asian ethnically Asian, so they have a lot of back pain, leg pain, shoulder pains that often will get a lot better from HIT, which is really interesting. But I also have a lot of patients who come in to get relief from their hot flushes and then go, you know what, Actually, I had all this back pain before, and I don't have that anymore. That's really an interesting one. But you sort of wonder if a bloke is feeling like he can't do anything right, that his wife just yells at him all the time that she doesn't want sex with him absolutely ever, and then some other girl starts making eyes at him and making him feel like a really hot stallion, and that everything he says is hilariously funny and incredibly interesting.
Speaker 1: Is it any wonder.
Speaker 3: That there are quite a lot of affairs that happen with husbands at this age and they go for younger women who are not going through the same stage of life, And what a I mean, I think that's an issue in the relationship. I'm not sort of condoning that whatsoever, but it does make it a little bit more understandable if no one's talking about it.
Speaker 2: And getting context, because he's like, well, clearly she doesn't love me anymore.
Speaker 1: She's just shouting at me or crying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and rejecting me and thinking that I'm horrible and ugly and terrible in bed and these other chick things that I'm awesome. I kind of I do understand. I think it's a shame because it's so avoidable, because there are such great treatments that we have for all of these stages, if only we would talk about it and get doctors more on board with it.
Speaker 2: I just want to end by asking you about self esteem around this time, because it's a time when we start to become invisible and a time when we're literally our body is saying you're not of use anymore. You can no longer make a baby, you know, and that can be quite confronting, Like once upon a time, women were only here to make babies and continue the species, and once we couldn't do that anymore, we tend to just.
Speaker 1: Die yeap because we were of no use.
Speaker 2: And even though, of course there are many many different ways to be a woman and a value and lots of different choices to be made, whether you have children or not, there's something about that part of your life being over, even if you decided to stop having children or ever have children many years previously. Yeah, that can be quite a confronting time, kn't it. Yeah, left rounds as women.
Speaker 3: And you just accept that no bloke in the street is going to stare at you and think you're, oh, she's hot, because there's like so many other much better looking girls out there.
Speaker 2: I thought that cat calling was no longer a thing in the street, and then I was walking along with a younger friend and a guy like, and I'm like, I didn't think that happened anymore, And then I went, oh, just doesn't happen to me, so because it's a weird thing because I don't like being cat called, But when it's not there, you're kind of like, right, I'm invisible now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's crazy because you look twenty two. But I think that you know, it's menopauses where ageism and you know, misogyny kind of come together and in a hybrid that's really dreadful. And yet if you look at the purchasing power of the perimenopausal and menopausal woman, she spends more at Bunnings, she spends more at Toyota, she spends more at Woolords and at Priceline pharmacy, and.
Speaker 1: It's Sephora and Mecha. Correct. So I'm spending all my money because they Because.
Speaker 3: We finally actually have a bit of money which we didn't have before. We've got our kids out of the house often which is much cheaper.
Speaker 1: We actually have got some We've risen up the ranks in our jobs.
Speaker 3: Unlike our poor mums who encourage not to have a career, we have been able to have careers, and we're actually earning much better than we did in our twenties and thirties. We've often paid off the house at this stage, where our mortgages are quite negligible.
Speaker 1: At this stage. So it's actually a really good time.
Speaker 3: And certainly the big businesses out there, the consumer businesses, they know they want us and so they make us invisible at their peril. We actually are a really big force, and I think we've got to now. We want to have sex. We possibly we're quite happy to write off our sex lives at age fifty. You know, twenty years ago, we're not anymore. We want to look good now. We didn't really care before, we do want to now, and we're going to live close to half our lives on this side of menopause. So actually, we need to get this right. We need to get it right for every woman. And at least if we don't say that every woman should have HIT, and I certainly don't think every woman should have HI, but I think every woman should have access to the best treatments for her, regardless of what they are.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad we're going to end on that note, because if there's younger women listening to this thinking, oh, that sounds like a massive bummer. Like, I've never been happier than I am at forty eight. I've never been more self confident. I've never been more sure of who I am. I've never been less willing to take shit. I've never needed approval less than I do. Now I know who I am all of those things. I feel less guilty than I used to and more capable than I used to.
Speaker 1: So it's not all bad news, it's mostly good news.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why get make this period of your life terrible when it could be unbelievable.
Speaker 1: As you say, the best ever stage of your life. So let's talk about it.
Speaker 3: Let's get it out in the open, and let's get access to treatment.
Speaker 2: And let's start by reading the M word How to Thrive in Menopause, Doctor Ginny Mansberg, Thank you.
Speaker 1: This is bloody brilliant.
Speaker 2: And there's a chapter at the end which I love, which is for your partners, which I'm going to give my partner to look at as well. And if you think, oh, I'm not at menopause yet, well anytime from your late thirties. The thing with women is that we always want to know about the stage that's coming up in our life. So you know, if you're in anywhere from your late thirties or even your mid thirties, and you want a bit of a sneak peek as to what your forties might bring, just so that you can be alert to what those symptoms are and not just go God, it's weird that I'm itchy.
Speaker 1: All the time.
Speaker 2: I mean, until I read this book, I was like, God, I'm just itchy.
Speaker 1: What's wrong with me? I had no idea. I know that itch is a thing. Genny, thanks so much. Thanks Maa. Well, that was enlightening. Do you feel a little less scared?
Speaker 2: I do. Ginny Mansberg's book is called the M Word. I've been texting her a few times because there are things like itchy skin that I never knew were part of perimenopause. Ginny is also a host of Medicine or Myth, which you can find on SBS on Demand, and she's the host of Embarrassing Bodies Down On. But she's also a passionate anti aging skincare geek, and her skincare company is called eskcare dot Com.
Speaker 1: I'm Meya Friedman.
Speaker 2: This show was produced by Melanie Tate and I'll see you next week. That was doctor Ginny Mansburg on No Filter. Did you love it? I loved it. If you like that kind of vibe, go follow No Filter. It's hosted by Kate Langbrook now and god, she does a cracking job. I get to be a listener now. I don't have to do any of the work. I can just enjoy it as part of the audience. But if you love Ginny, Cath Sally, Mary Grace and Brunner as much as I do, as much as so many thousands of women do the whole Unleash crew, do us as solid and make sure you are following Unleashed, because fifty percent of the listeners that we have don't actually follow the show. They just go every week. They remember it's Tuesday, and they go, I'm going to go and look for.
Speaker 1: My episode I've unleashed.
Speaker 2: But you know what, guys, that is too hard. I don't know about you, but my memory is shot to shit. I can't remember all the podcasts I need to listen to or when they drop.
Speaker 1: So the trick is follow. There's a little.
Speaker 2: Plus on the homepage of whatever podcast you like listening to. I reckon it's Unleashed. Click on that little plus and you don't even have to think about it anymore. If you don't remember it's Tuesday, not a problem. The show will find you. So thanks for listening, and the Unleashed team will be back with a brand new episode next Tuesday. Mamma Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on