Speaker 1: It's Monday, March thirty in twenty twenty six and Cassie Servos is getting ready to take her four month old baby to a mum's and Bubbs gym class. She's currently on maternity leave from her job as crime editor at seven News Melbourne. But as she packs the wipes and nappies into her bag while juggling her daughter on her hip, her watch buzzes with a notification. It keeps buzzing. Curious, Cassie checks her phone. One of her police contacts has messaged DF found, it reads. Moments later, another message comes through DF Dead. Immediately Cassie knows what it means. Desi Freeman real name Desmond Philby, Australia's most wanted fugitive for the past seven months. The man accused of murdering two police officers at his rural Victorian property. The man accused of fleeing a home in which police found hundreds of files containing child abuse material. That man, that criminal is dead. Finally, the manhunt that has terrorized a country and a police force in mourning is over. I'm Jemma Bath and you're listening to True Crime Conversations, a podcast exploring the world's most notorious crimes by speaking to the people who know the most about them. Two men, two Victorian police officers simply doing their jobs, were killed on August twenty six, twenty twenty five, by Desmond Philby. Their names were fifty nine year old Detective Leading Senior Constable Neil Thompson and thirty four year old Senior Constable the Dim Devatata. A third officer was left seriously wounded. The deaths of Neil and the Dim have been felt deeply by their families, friends and colleagues. In Blue Neil was just a week from retirement, a dedicated detective attached to the Wangarat A criminal investigation unit. His loved ones describe a man who loved footy and campfires and hammocks, a naturally talented bushman who left behind his partner of six years, Lisa, and two step children. For Dim was just thirty four. He lived and worked in Melbourne. A member of the Public Order Response Team. He was only supposed to be in regional Victoria for a week on deployment to help deal with snow crowds. Born in belgiumvad migrated to Australia as an adult and was known as kind, adventurous, upbeat and worldly, an adrenaline junkie and a romantic at heart bad leaves behind his devastated parents and brother. After murdering these two beloved men, Philby, a self identified sovereign citizen and accused pedophile, fled the scene, leaving his wife and baby at the property. That was the start of seven long months of searching of false leads, of horrific taunts from others in his community who shared his anti police beliefs, of heartbreaking funerals and tearful goodbyes. Then, in March twenty twenty six, while cradling her baby, Cassie broke the news of Philby's death from her living room.
Speaker 2: Well, we have some major breaking news now.
Speaker 3: It regards the search for Desi Freeman.
Speaker 2: Let's go live to Cassie Zervos now in Melbourne.
Speaker 1: A Cassie, this is all happening. What can you tell us?
Speaker 3: Good morning guys. Well this is obviously huge developing news this morning.
Speaker 2: What we can confirm is that Desi Freeman, the man who shot down two police.
Speaker 3: Officers in August last.
Speaker 2: Year, was found in the poor Punker region with this morning by heavily armed officers. But as you can understand, he says, very much a developing story. So details on how it actually unfolded, what went down, how police were able to find him still known, but of course we will bring you these details as soon as we get them.
Speaker 1: Cassie has returned from maternity leave again briefly to release a six part podcast called Desi Freeman The Hunt. Just a note, in this episode, we will be referring to the killer by his birth name, Desmond Philby, not the name he's self appointed to himself in conjunction with his sovereign citizen beliefs. Cassie joins us now to take us behind the scenes of covering this extraordinary and horrifying case. Cassie, thank you for joining us on True Crime Conversations. Can you take me back to August twenty twenty five. Where were you at in your life and career at that point in time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jim, thanks for having me. Wow, it seems like so long ago, even though it was only seven months ago.
Speaker 3: Wait months now.
Speaker 2: I was in my third trimester of pregnancy. It was a Tuesday morning. I was sent out to just another crime scene in Melbourne. I even remember what it was now, but I do remember sitting in the car, my cameramen's car because my feet, we saw, my back was sore, everything was aching. I was at that stage where I was sort of like waddling around and just just sort of counting down the days to maternity leave.
Speaker 3: And my phone is in my pocket and.
Speaker 2: I sort of was checking it and scrolling and I saw these messages that kind of pop up, and there were a number of text messages from contact saying there's been some sort of police incident in the Alpine region in Victoria and a number of members unaccounted for.
Speaker 3: And I was like, what does unaccount for me?
Speaker 2: And I actually said I'm like, excuse my ignorance, but what does unaccounting for me? And the message was Cass, I'll call you, and the conversation was we think there's been a police shooting and we think at least two members have been killed. And I remember sort of looking it was this weird moment because I looked out and it was it was raining and it was cold in Melbourne, and I looked out at the cameraman and I was like, is this happening?
Speaker 3: Like is this for real? And then thinking what do we do?
Speaker 2: Now. So it was just the process of calling the newsroom and hitting the road pretty much as soon as we got word that there was a major police incident. And because it was four and a half hours away from where we were in town, all we could do was just get there as soon as we could safely, of course.
Speaker 1: So without going home, getting supplies or anything. You just hit the road, straight to the scene, hit the road.
Speaker 2: I remember wearing boots with heels because I'd actually made plans with my husband that night to go out for dinner.
Speaker 3: And I was in like a maternity dress, a big kind of.
Speaker 2: Coke and that was it. That's all I had on me. I didn't have anything else, And to be honest, I didn't think I would be there for as long as I did. I genuinely thought by the time we arrived in Port Punka, the accused would have been in custody.
Speaker 3: I genuinely thought that.
Speaker 2: Because it was a good four and a half five hour drive. I thought by the time we get there, the narrative of the story would have changed and there would have been, you know, an angle of Okay, we've got court cases and they'll be charges and this kind of thing. But when I arrived in that that wasn't the case. There was still an active man hunt on. I was sort of hit me that I could be here for a while, and it turned out I was there for seventeen days straight.
Speaker 3: So wow.
Speaker 2: It was one of those things where yeah, and then like the messages were coming through from like big emergency saying if you can stay inside, active shooter on the run, do not approach Desmond Philby on the run, do not approach active shooter, and that those messages kept coming through, and we're obviously there and the police were there, and you're thinking are we safe? Like where could this guy be? Could he be hiding in playing sight? What's the situation here? So there were all these different emotions and feelings going on, but you sort of go into like the adrenaline kicks in and I almost forgot I was pregnant. It was just kind of like, Okay, I'm in work mode now. I want to do the best that I can do and cover this as the best that I can.
Speaker 3: And we were just waiting for the next update.
Speaker 1: Really, let's set the scene a bit for listeners of the area. We're talking about poor Punker Regional Victoria. Can you tell us about it. What's it like there.
Speaker 3: It's beautiful.
Speaker 2: It's the Alpine region, so there's beautiful mountain Buffalo in the background. And at the time in August, it was the end of August towards the start of September, it was freezing in Melbourne and the weather was awful, but there was actually snowfall, so it was like this beautiful part of the world, but freezing and tiny, quite rural, lots of farming properties. The area that the police were searching was really dense. The terrain was really dense. I'm on a camper, I'm not a hiker, I'm not like I'm not really familiar with that kind of those kind of activities. But a lot of people who other journalists through there had been camping there and had gone a weekend highs and it's a beautiful tourist town, so it's actually a really stunning part of the world and why lots of people decide to holiday there and you know, go on the camping trips and go on the snows trips as well.
Speaker 3: So it's but it's remote, it's very remote.
Speaker 2: And particularly Desmond's property, it was it was huge and from an outsider looking in like you drive past his street runing a track and you wouldn't know that there's a huge rural property there. But there's so many properties like it around that area where there's farmers and people who are running businesses for caravanning and camping, vanning and that kind of thing as well. So you've got a bit of everything there.
Speaker 1: And Philby's residence on this enormous property. It wasn't actually a house, was it. It was a bus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was like an old rundown bus.
Speaker 2: Was He turned it into I guess a house for him and his family. The owners of the actual property allowed him to stay there, but he didn't own the property, the actual land itself. He was just living on a bus on the property and he'd been living there for some time, I believe.
Speaker 3: But you know, this was a man who was anti society.
Speaker 2: He decided to homeschool his children, he didn't want to get his kids vaccinated, which you know, each to their own, but he made himself known in town for his beliefs, and particularly during COVID and that's something that we really sort of dick dive during this whole period of the man hunt, and particularly posted as well in the last few months.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about what happened before we get to Bilbie's beliefs. It was about ten thirty in the morning and police were attending the property to execute a search warrant. Can you tell us the details of that. Why were they executing a search warrant?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: So there were allegations against Philby that historic child abuse allegations dating back to the past two years, and that's what Victoria Police came out and said. So it was very much fact. So it was a search warrant to go in and search and seize any potential evidence that could be held against him, and that's why they were there.
Speaker 3: It was a routine search warrant.
Speaker 2: Police do these kind of warrants almost every day for all different reasons, you know, And a lot of the people have come out and said, why if it was just a routine search warrant, why were there so many police officers there. And I've spoken to officers who have worked closely on this case, and they said, because the property is obviously so big, it's not unusual to have that many members attend a search warrant because it's a huge property and it's time, you know, being time efficient, and it's quite common even in Melbourne or even in like suburban warrants, it's quite common for there to be more numbers than not for safety reasons as well.
Speaker 3: But there was nothing unusual about this search warrant.
Speaker 2: They didn't believe he was capable of carrying out what he did that day, and I think that's something that will come out now in the coroner's inquest, which he's expected to begin in the next.
Speaker 3: Couple of months too.
Speaker 1: Let's go into Philby's background, because he was known to police. This wasn't the first time they'd had run ins with him. Can you tell us about him? To start with his name. Publicly, everyone will know him as Desmond Desi Bird Freeman. That's not his name, No.
Speaker 3: It's not. It's not Jaman.
Speaker 2: He actually changed his name, I believe in the late two thousands to Desi Freeman and the surname Freeman if you break it up, Freeman, and that's quite a popular name within the Sovereign citizen movement. He was born as Desmond Christopher Philby and that's what his family knew. He knew him as I've been speaking to some of his family members post everything. That's happened, and when I speak to them, they refer to him as Dares or Desmond.
Speaker 3: They don't make reference to that Freeman surname that he changed it to.
Speaker 2: He was, actually, you know, in his early teens, late teens, early twenties, really into the hippie movement and would go to and attend a lot of festivals that often spread messages of love and peace. And he was sort of going down that path. And then an associate of his that I had been speaking to throughout the past seven or so months said that all of a sudden, something switched in him, switched in him where he became quite angry and.
Speaker 3: Resented the world and authority.
Speaker 2: Nothing, there was no sort of like trigger point, Nothing really happened, but he always sort of questioned authority, you know, like why do I have to go to work? Why do I have to do this? Why do I have to perform with society? Why do I have to get a driver's license? Why can't I go to speed that I think is safe? And it's just like, well, it's the law, you've got it, do it, will do where you know it is? This is you know, I don't know necessarily always want to go to work, but you got to like, you've got bills to pay and this to do, and you know, there's responsibilities as an adult and as you get older, and he questioned that very early on, and so much so I believe the first time he's running with the police was with the New South Wales Police when he was like twenty one or twenty two, and it was for speeding and he.
Speaker 3: Copped a fine like you do, and he just refused to pay it.
Speaker 2: So he was sort of in and out of the court system from quite an early age. And it was often things like speeding fines, parking fines that he refused to pay.
Speaker 3: And then of course the COVID pandemic hit and that's when.
Speaker 2: His behavior really escalated, where you know, Victoria had probably the strictest lockdowns in the country, somewhat argue around the world, and you know, he refused to wear the mask, he refused to get the COVID vaccination. There were you know, the vision that is sub merge of him, like baiting police officers when they pull him over. Why are you not within you your five k radius of the rules? And and he just and his family said, he just his his mental health and his health really escalated from that moment onwards.
Speaker 3: But he never hurt.
Speaker 2: Or physically lashed out at a police officer. It was always verbal abuse.
Speaker 1: When you say sovereign citizen, is that just like an organized movement that he would be a part of. Is that a well run group for those that aren't aware, Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, a sovereign citizen is basically a person who thinks they're above the law, doesn't abide by society's laws, doesn't believe in the government, doesn't believe in police authority or essentially the laws.
Speaker 3: There's not necessarily like a group.
Speaker 2: There's a group, you know that there'd be people a movement or his associates, his friends, but in terms of actual group, I don't believe he was necessarily part of, you know, like a sovereign citizen group. It was just he was a self described sovereign citizen during the time of the pandemic, because the police would going to his house and checking on his kids because they weren't going to school and they weren't getting the vaccinations, and there was a lot of sort of welfare checks. He would go on his social media pages and rant and say that the authorities were out to get in purely because he didn't believe in abiding by the law.
Speaker 3: And the rules.
Speaker 2: And it got so bad that he would actually threaten authority online. I remember seeing a post that he wrote saying any good cop is a dead cop and described police as terrorist thugs.
Speaker 3: That's what he posted online. So there was so much hatred towards authority, and.
Speaker 2: It really escalated during the pandemic and post it as well.
Speaker 1: But in terms of like charges against him, was it more of these like nuisance charges like he's you know, verbally abusing or the speeding and stuff like that. There weren't actual serious charges on his criminal history before these allegations of child abuse.
Speaker 3: That's absolutely right. There was nothing.
Speaker 2: There was nothing, you know, obviously speeding, it's illegal parking, you know, not paying fines, but there was nothing like the allegations that we've since learned about.
Speaker 3: But in terms of the seriousness of.
Speaker 2: His offending, it wasn't violent, It wasn't It was more of a nuisance to authorities, and he would fight it and he would go through all the pages of the law and say, well, you know, under this section of this section and this and this, and it was almost it almost became a nuisance for the magistrates as well and the police, but it was never he was charged with anything incredibly criminal, if.
Speaker 3: That makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about his kind of work life, family life?
Speaker 3: Did he have a job? Children knows that.
Speaker 2: And this is what I find quite interesting. He was actually on the doll so he was taking he was on a He claimed a disability pension or something like that, and I don't think he actually from speaking to his associates, he didn't have anything wrong, but he managed to find a loophole where he could claim.
Speaker 3: Tax payers money. So he was so anti government authority.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he was happy to take the money from from us. And that's the thing that gets med as well. You sort of think, Okay, was he a man who really wants to fight in a good fight in his own mind and in his world, but he's so happy to take money from the government.
Speaker 3: But he hadn't been working for years.
Speaker 2: When I spoke to a close relative of his, he actually said he wasn't able to hold down a job kind of for the same reasons. You know, you go to work in their rules. There are rules everywhere you go. That's just the world that that's the world, that's life that's life. He just couldn't handle it. He couldn't handle it. And these allegations that I've been told, you know what, police have since been able to.
Speaker 3: Find on his devices.
Speaker 2: Desmond actually told his family members, Oh, the police are coming after me over these you know, these lies.
Speaker 3: But I do believe.
Speaker 1: Police have since confirmed that they found child abuse material.
Speaker 2: Correct, So the devices that they see from Desmond's property, laptops and iPads, they were able to use specialized technology to download files from the from his devices, and there were hundreds and hundreds of child exploitation material found on his devices. And many people don't believe that, you know, obviously that's come out recently. And if you look at comments online, people who have the same beliefs as Desmond Philby and who are you know, supporters of him so to speak, they're saying, oh, it's fake news, the police are just out to get him. Which there's a whole other debate, like since since really deep diving into this movement and doing the podcast that we have done, the comments online, like I get messages daily being like he's still alive and to cover up all these different conspiracy theories that people genuinely believe, which is like a whole other thing.
Speaker 1: And we haven't got there yet, but that it's just so offensive to the victims of and the families that are grieving to hear all of that nonsense.
Speaker 2: And these are two men who went to work and should have come home, Like they put on a uniform, they go to their workplace, they do their job, and they should come home, and they didn't. And the people who are defending this man, it really makes you angry. And it almost like I've almost had to like mute notifications because you can't reason with these people.
Speaker 3: You're never going to change their minds.
Speaker 2: But because there's so many people who have the same thinking as him, it almost terrifies you because you're like, what kind of society are we living in where people are celebrating this person when they should be mourning the deaths of two good men.
Speaker 3: It just it really baffles me and makes me, actually makes me very angry.
Speaker 1: After the break, we talk about how a search warrant at Desmond's property escalated into a shooting. Let's talk about the circumstances the incident that led to the deaths of Fadim O'Neil. They arrived for this search warrant. There's a number of officers, I believe nine. How did it escalate into a shooting?
Speaker 2: So what I've my ownstanding of what happened that day is Neil was and had a lot of dealings with Desmond in the past, with you know, being in town. Neil was a thirty seven year police veteran of the force. He he knew everyone, you know, and he was just days out from retirement, and he thought, I've dealt with this guy before, I'll leave the team in.
Speaker 3: It'll be like another another search warrant.
Speaker 2: And I understand that there was a lot of back and forth.
Speaker 3: Desmond refused to come out of the bus.
Speaker 2: So what police would have done is they would have entered the property and they've got all the right paperwork saying, you know, we've got a search want we got here to execute a search warrant? Desmond, anyone else inside please come out. His wife, Marley was also inside the bus at the time. I understand she was actually breastfeeding their youngest child, their baby, and they refused to come out, and there was this standoff for some time.
Speaker 3: I don't in terms of time frame how long it went on for.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure, but during what I've been told, during that period, Desmond's behavior and language really escalated. He was becoming very angry, very volatile. You know, in his mind, he was there to protect his family. This is my property. You're not welcome on my property.
Speaker 3: Leave, leave, leave. And then it got to the point where the police ended up.
Speaker 2: Going in and Neil, being the true leader that he was, he led his team in and he was the first to get shot, which was just absolutely tragic, and then the dim was behind him, and then my understanding is everything from that moment was very quick and a bit of a blur for.
Speaker 3: The other members.
Speaker 2: Desmond tried to fire at the third female police sergeant, but it didn't go off. You can only imagine how she would have felt in that moment, but also months later as well. And there was another other police officer who was shot in the leg, and my understanding is that he had to take shelter under the bus until more backup arrived. But it's just it's when you think about it, these men and women, you know that they're there to protect their job as a police officers, to protect the community, and that's what they were doing. There were some serious allegations against Desmond, and they were there to seize evidence, and for whatever reason, he thought in his sick minds, no, you're not coming onto my property. It's my right to do to protect my property in my family, and that's what he decided to do, firing the gun in front of his wife, in front of his.
Speaker 3: Baby, and he's middle child.
Speaker 2: His middle son was also there who witnessed the ordeal as well the shooting as well. So just a really dark day for obviously the force and a force that's still incredibly grieving with what's happened.
Speaker 3: And I don't think I don't think members.
Speaker 2: Who work in that and that region and members who worked with for Dim, I understand he was actually working in the Public Order Response team and he was on a sir comment in Langerado, And I've spoken to a lot of members from the Port unit and they're not the same. How can you be because you sort of think, oh, that could have been me on the comment, you know, starting in my career and what I've been told for Dim just showed so much potential as a police officer as well, and learning from his colleagues and from senior members, well.
Speaker 1: I believe for dim was actually only therefore, he was only supposed to be there for a week. He was dealing with the snow crowds. This is a man that wasn't even supposed to He doesn't even live in that area. He's from Melbourne, that's where he lives and works. And he went to help out on a search warrant while there for to help with tourism and snow and he lost his life.
Speaker 2: And it's just when you break it down like that and you think, wasn't supposed to be there. Had he not have taken their comment, howd he have gone to a different region? All the what ifs, you know, that's what plays in your head.
Speaker 3: What if? What if they had more heavily armed police that went in. What if? Well, all the what is?
Speaker 2: What if Desmond decided to come out and actually do what he was told?
Speaker 3: And you know, my understanding is they didn't know that he was armed.
Speaker 2: He actually lost his firearms license years ago, so my understanding was that he didn't There was no awareness that he had weapons inside that bus. Had police have known that, there would have been the Critical Incident Response Team there, potentially even the Special Operations Group, the Victoria's most elite police squad and they have the right equipment to deal with offenders like Desmond Philby.
Speaker 1: I shared with listeners a bit earlier, a little bit about Vidim and about Neil, But can you tell us about their funerals, about the outpouring of grief and love for these two men.
Speaker 2: The services were just beautiful, the love and the police chapel and the guard of honor that they did.
Speaker 3: It was it stops you in your tracks.
Speaker 2: For Vidim's funeral, for listeners who don't know, was from Belgium, so his family flew to Melbourne, and I remember seeing his mother and she was dressed in so much color, and there were songs that were play throughout the service, and often she would stop and sing along while crying. And that was just this, so much raw emotion for DIM's brother got up and spoke and told the chapel of for DIM's love for Batman and how he'd often where Batman socks under his unifor his police uniform and go to work and wear his Batman socks under the Victoria police uniform. And he stood up for DIM's brother and said, he was my real life superhero.
Speaker 3: He was my very own Batman, and he asked.
Speaker 2: The mourners to remember for Dim for the way that he lived and not for the way that he died.
Speaker 3: And I think that was a really.
Speaker 2: Powerful message because obviously during the time of the funerals, there was still an active manhunt going on. Esmond was still somewhere out in the community. So you've got the police chapel packed with hundreds and hunt I think it almost got to over a thousand people, and those people on the street that sort of spilled out onto the road and they had to close roads down for the Guard of Honor.
Speaker 3: And all these men and women in blue grieving.
Speaker 2: And then you got the other side of it, where you've got, you know, five hours away, an active man hunt, and that morning police on the ground they were they said, we never felt more determined to find justice for the families of Nil and Dim. And obviously it came months later, but there was this real hunger and real determination that the police just said, we are not going to give up. And obviously this story led our news bulletins night after night, and the search itself started to slow, like from what resource picture wise, you know, started to slow down, and we'd asked, you know, in press conferences down the track or how many members do you still have there? And our chief commission, like Mike Bush, he came out and said, we will not give up until there's justice. It might take weeks, months, years, but we are determined to find justice. And so everyone else gets on with their lives, and you know, the headlines change and the top story of the news of the day changes. But these are people who kept fighting, kept looking, following up all the tip offs. There were thousands and thousands of tip offs to crime stoppers, and there were a lot of false leads.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of false sightings.
Speaker 2: People who thought they may have seen in the local Woolworths, the local calls, oh yeah, we think we've seen Desmond, and so of course police have to follow that up because what if it was that critical tip of if that eventually that eventually did come this year. So I just think it was a remarkable effort by by a team, by a force that was grieving, hurting, they were angry, they were emotional, and they just kept going and then you've got Neil's funeral. So Vidim started his career in twenty eighteen. He was very much at the start of you know, he was just going up, up, up, whereas Neil was at the other end. He was days out from retirement. I believe the day of Vidim's funeral. Neil was actually supposed to retire that day, that's my understanding. And he was described as a man who you know, you know those people where you walk into a room and you've got their attention and they make you feel like you're the only person that matters. He was that kind of guy that would make you feel like you're the only person that mattered. And I feel like those people have this special art of making people feel special. And you know, our days are busy and our lives are busy, and he was a busy man, you know, protecting his community, but he would make the community feel loved and special in his colleagues, particularly his colleagues, and true to form, he said, yeah, I'll do one last I'll help my team one last time.
Speaker 3: I retire and enjoy my retirement years. And that was the decision that essentially cost him his life, which I just think, you know, when you think about it, God like, you work so hard, and.
Speaker 2: He worked so hard and just had so much to look forward to, and it was taken away from him, and it's just so much grief.
Speaker 3: I think for both of those funerals.
Speaker 1: I think for the colleagues of these two men, you have to remember that they do a very very dangerous job, so when they lose people, it's like it does happen. We have lost quite a number of police officers in Australia and then they have to go out and continue doing the dangerous job and try and find the person that killed one.
Speaker 3: Of their colleagues.
Speaker 1: It's just it's really hard to imagine having to do that like that, that's your job. You have to just kind of put the uniform back on and go out there and find the guy.
Speaker 2: And I spoke to the Police Police Association union boss Wayne Gatt, and I asked him, I said, this is probably going to sound like a really dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway, and he goes, yeah, of course. And I said, when the manhunt was going on, and you know, the hours turned into days and the days turned into weeks, was.
Speaker 3: The feeling for members Were they scared?
Speaker 2: Were they worried that, you know, this was a person they were looking for who would kill again, who was armed, who was dangerous. He stole a police firearm, and he said, Cassie, these are members who chose to stand in the dark on busy roads at roadblocks because it was almost safer for them to stand in the dark on a road than be out, you know, on display in case Desmond came across them. And as everyone knows, it's never safe to stand in the dark on a road, but in their minds it was. And I think that just shows the severity of the situation, just how they were feeling. They wanted to obviously find him, but they I mean, everyone wants to.
Speaker 3: Go home at the end of the day of their workdays.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned that you were on location for seventeen days. So at the start of that man hunt, did you feel scared there was a man with a gun running around?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I really did.
Speaker 2: I Actually it's when I arrived in Port Punker, I think I was in sort of gay mode, like there was a job to do, there was so much adrenaline.
Speaker 3: But I remember getting back to the motel that night.
Speaker 2: And in my heart I genuinely thought this they'd find it straightaway, like I'd be there for maybe a couple of days, we'd go.
Speaker 3: To court, and we'd come back.
Speaker 2: When I went back to the motel that night, and it was windy and I just couldn't sleep because I was like, this guy could be anywhere. This man could be hiding in the bush, he could you know, you know, at night time, everything.
Speaker 3: Just seems worse as well.
Speaker 2: And we were doing were yeah, we were doing door knocks the next day. So as a journal, like what we do is we go to properties nearby where something has happened, and we're trying and get as much information or get interviews with people. And I remember myself and a couple of the other TV journals, we were like, let's do it together because the properties are so big, and I was tired, like I was waddling around. I was like, I just want to work smarter, not harder, almost, And we knocked on a property next to Desmond's and it was a big rural properties, so it took a while for the for the owner to come out, the person who lived there to come out. All of a sudden, dogs starts running over to us and I was like, that's a good dog's fine.
Speaker 3: And this man emerges and he's got a.
Speaker 2: Gun over over his shoulder and I'm looking at my cameraman thinking.
Speaker 3: I don't feel good. I'm like, we're defenseless here.
Speaker 2: Not that I think he would do anything, but you don't know, there were no police around, and he just goes, who are you And we just all said, all the boy from the media, we're following up, you know what happened.
Speaker 3: And he just didn't say anything. And I just said, we're going to go. We're going to go, and that's scary. He looked at us and he goes up yeah, and he goes I just goes, I think that's a good idea.
Speaker 2: And I remember getting in that car and I said to my camera and let's go, like, we're not going back there, and he would. I just when someone comes out with a gun and you're you know, I'm I was like thirty two weeks pregnant, I think at the time, and you sort of think, God, like, what am I doing?
Speaker 3: Like this is what's what's the reward versus the risk in this situation?
Speaker 2: And I remember speaking to some of the members from a Special Operations Group because there were so many roadblocks, like you'd go to get Mine check point and they're like, oh, yeah, you can go to there, but don't go anywhere further. But you know, people were getting around and there's always different ways to get around to get the best spot, to get the best location where police were going in and searching and everything.
Speaker 3: And this Special Operations Group member and he's in like.
Speaker 2: Full bulletproofessed helmet, everything, and he comes over to our car and he goes, I'm not going to tell you guys how to do your job, but we've got the full gear on. So where as protected as we can be, you don't have a helmet on, you don't.
Speaker 3: Have a vest on.
Speaker 2: This man hates the authority, he hates mainstream media, he hates police.
Speaker 3: He's just killed two of our own. I wouldn't be here if I was you.
Speaker 2: And I remember going, no worries, we're out, and I remember just saying to all the other crews, this is just not worth it, Like this is you know, we're here to do our job, We're here to cover a story. But at the end of the day, like nah, like I'm not risking anything, and hearing it from someone who is so oh no, and I was.
Speaker 3: Like, I've got my belly, and you know I've got nothing.
Speaker 2: I've got my At that point, I think my dress was five days old, and you know you're running on empty a bit because being pregnant as tiring as it is. Plus you know all the live cross commitments and you're not sleeping because there's an active shooter on the run, and just all the emotions said to my cameraman, let's get a coffee, let's get a hot pie, let's just take a breather.
Speaker 3: And at the end of the day where a tame.
Speaker 2: We've got to agree on everything, and I just said if we miss something, I'll wear it.
Speaker 3: I don't know at this point, we're all just doing our best right now.
Speaker 2: So there were just all these different layers of difficulty to covering this story and also making sure that you covered it in a way where, because you know family member's place are watching everything, you want to do the best you can in a way where you're not disrespecting force or adding any trauma to the families that are already going through so much too.
Speaker 3: So yeah, there was a lot to take into consideration. Definitely.
Speaker 1: Up next the moment Kathy's maternity leave was interrupted by the news that Desmond had been found dead. So if you were thirty two ish weeks pregnant. You went on maternity leave not long after all of this happened. Were you able to Obviously, having a baby is very time consuming and it changes your whole world. Were you able to park this story or were you constantly kind of checking in.
Speaker 2: I remember when I went on leave, I said to my boss, I'll only come back if Desmond is found to cover it. But I genuinely didn't think it would happen. While I was off, I'd spoken to a lot of officers who were working on this case, and you know, at the start of the year, they put out an alert saying that they brought in Cadava dogs, which are dogs that are trying to specifically smell sniff out human remains. So when I went on leave, I was sort of like, oh, I don't know what's going to happen, but I just really wanted to enjoy that baby bubble as well. Yeah, so it's a bit of a me It's a weird feeling, like as someone who's like put their career first, just forever really, and then you sort of pause that to focus on something completely different.
Speaker 3: It was a bit of a mix.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was sort of checking in every now and then but I didn't know how I would feel if it was to happen.
Speaker 3: And then of course it did happen, and then it was like just.
Speaker 2: I still can't like it was just a massive blur when it did, because I just didn't think it was going to happen while I was off.
Speaker 1: Well, it happened when you had a if I'm correct, three month old baby, like you were very much in the depths of postpartum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like a Monday morning and I'm trying to get back and like, exercise for me is sort of like my outlet and I love doing it before I felt pregnant, and I'm a lot of getting back into it. So I joined a mum of Bubbs gym class, you know, nearby my house.
Speaker 3: And Monday's always.
Speaker 2: Chaotic, as is let alone when you've got a baby, and I've got two step kids that are with us full time as well, so I'm just trying to get everyone to school, trying to you know, clean vomit off me and my watch. I had a Apple Watch on and just kept vibrating and I was like, oh, someone's you know, must be something on Instagram sending me funny reels or something.
Speaker 3: And then I must have.
Speaker 2: Looked down and it caught my eye because I was like, DF found and in my head, I'm like DF and it took me.
Speaker 3: A good couple of seconds to process.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, they're talking about Desmond Philby and then the next message DF dead. And so I'm standing in my living room. My husband's working at the table and I'm holding the baby and I'm and I'm like what, And.
Speaker 3: I walk over to him. He's like, what's wrong.
Speaker 2: You're going to gym and I'm like, I think they've just found Desmond and I think he's been killed. And I remember my husband was like deep in whatever he was doing, and he sort of always looked at me. He's like actually, and I'm like I think so yeah, because I give me the baby, make calls to what you've got to do. So I'm handing the baby over call the newsroom and I'm like, I'm so sorry, like sorry, like I hadn't I didn't have the TV on, so I wasn't sure what was on morning.
Speaker 3: News and everything, and I'm like, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: If this is like old information, and they're like, no, this is not old information. You're going to break it. Right now on live television. And I'm like, I haven't done a live cross in or five months. I don't know, I can't string acent, I've had no sleep, I've got no I don't know where my makeup bag is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we ended up we ended up doing it.
Speaker 2: I remember going like after we came off their, my husband said, are you sure you're right?
Speaker 3: Like, are you sure it's him?
Speaker 2: But during a live cross, Victoria Police sent out a media alert confirming that it was So call my mom and I said, Mom, I need you to come over and help with the baby. And she raced over and cameraman came to my house and it was just a long four and a half hour drive to where the scene was. And I this time had more time to a chance to pack things, and I remember all I took was my spectral breastpot.
Speaker 3: I'm like, it's all I really.
Speaker 2: Need right here.
Speaker 3: But I didn't realize it was like on one bar of charge, so it actually died on the way there.
Speaker 2: So I had to get the cameraman to stop at baby bunting in Aubrey so I could get like one of those like let down things.
Speaker 3: And it was just the whole thing. It was just like, it's just a crime scene done completely differently.
Speaker 1: But no, but these are the logistics that people don't understand, like your three months postpart and you've got a breastfed baby, you're trying to break a story like that's Cassie, that's a lot to deal with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was you know when you're in the moment and you're like, all right, I've just got to do what I've got to do and then I'll worry about everything else afterwards. It was kind of like that, like I was so determined to get there. My husband was like, you know, you were so invested in this. You've got I have a lot of you know, police officers who are just friends that like, you know, get coffee.
Speaker 3: With and whatever, and this is something that really.
Speaker 2: Affected them and the way that they went about working in the months that followed. And for me, it was almost like I needed personal closure in covering a story like this and to do it right and to do it I hope where the families felt like, you know, as best as it could have been dealt with. And it wasn't about thinking, oh I'm going to you know, come in on that leave and do it. I didn't even think of it. It was just like I put my journalist my journalist hat came back on and I parked my mum one for a bit and then you've got all the feelings. Four and a half hours is a long time to get from A to B. And my phone was blowing, you know, there was interviews and crosses and everything, and I kept thinking, am I doing the right thing? Like? Am I doing the right thing? And it was too late. I was already three hours doing up the road and it was again, it was adrenaline. And it wasn't until I sort of stopped in the evening that night and I thought, I just really want to get home now and see my baby and.
Speaker 3: Made her and get the milk out.
Speaker 2: And it was dealing with that too, Like I was pumping in between news commitments on the side of a road when there's a crime scene and you've got people kind of walking past, go oh, well, can't look at you. You're you know, got your boob out on the side of the road, and I'm like trying to do it discreetly and trying to get my head in it.
Speaker 3: Hey, I got to say this.
Speaker 2: I got to say that I can't do this, you can't do it, you know, just just balancing it all and.
Speaker 3: We got there in the end.
Speaker 1: I definitely couldn't have done that three months postpartum, so kudos to you. Can you tell us how police found Desi and how it ended in him being killed.
Speaker 3: He was killed on March thirty this year.
Speaker 2: My understanding what I've been told from contacts is that they received this critical tip off just a week before and from there they didn't think. Their initial reaction was like, okay, well we'll check it out. And the biggest thing for them is of course identifying that the person that they're looking for is Desmond. But I understand too, it had been seven months at that point. His appearance was very different. His hair had grown, he had beard and everything. So once they realized this, he's here, Yep, he's alive.
Speaker 3: He's here.
Speaker 2: This is the man we've been looking for for seven months. It's their risk assessment. So is there anyone else with him? Are the people coming and going? Are there who's living at this property? Who owns this property? Are there any kind of you know, traps that he may have set up for an ambush?
Speaker 3: Are their paths where he can get away?
Speaker 2: What this.
Speaker 3: You know, he was living inside a shipping container.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure if this is how in depth police were thinking, but just ways that he could escape, so there's a risk assessment and making sure that he's there, yeah it's him, and making sure there's no one else there. Once all of those things were ticked off, it was then gay modes. So obviously these are you know, confidential ways that they carry out operations like this. But Special Operations Group were called in and they surrounded the property. They went in at five point thirty in the morning Monday that Monday, March thirty, and their goal was to get him into custody.
Speaker 3: They didn't want to kill him, they didn't want to shoot him.
Speaker 2: They had a police and agotiator there and that person's job is to purely negotiate with the suspect, with the accused, and that is to get this man out safely, handcuffed, no one else injured, no one else hurt, and intercut and you know, interviewed it into the cells.
Speaker 3: Once that.
Speaker 2: Wasn't going the way that they had originally planned for, they things escalated during the police negotiations with Desmond. There were things that he was saying to the officers there.
Speaker 3: That only he would know.
Speaker 2: So I don't know what was said between them and the team that was there. But after the fact, when police confirmed that it was him, they said, you know, there was things that he was saying about what happened on August twenty sixth last year that only he would know. And his demeanor became so volatile that he started to defend what he did that day, why he killed the police, why he decided to open fire. And so you've got a team of police who are grieving, but whoever job to do, and you never want to act out of anger or out of rage, so they've got to just sort of almost like in one ear out the other kind of just focus on what you've got to do to get this man out safely or then what ended up happening. So because he refused to come out, they used this tool on the bear Cat that essentially pierces the shipping container and they use like a capsicum spray or like an oc spray to essentially like smoke bomb him out. I'm not sure if you've ever had capsicum spray in your eyes, were down your throat, but it is brutal, like it really throws you off it, sorry, im takes you. So that's what they wanted to do, and it worked. He eventually emerged. He was wrapped in a donner, but he was holding the police firearm that he stole and as soon as they saw the gun, and my understanding now is that he did, there was cross they were shots fired. That's when police opened fire on Desmond and killed him and shot him dead.
Speaker 1: Can he take us through the reaction from his community when that happened, because they didn't even believe it, did they No.
Speaker 2: So it's this online community of like minded people to Desmond who believe they're above the law, and many commented saying it's not true, it's fake news, it's not real.
Speaker 3: He's still alive.
Speaker 2: Then there was other people saying, oh, he was actually killed on August twenty six and this is just a huge police cover up. And the comments were just coming in coming in. You're like, do you bother responding or do you just leave it? And my take was I'm just I can't. I'm not going to change his people's minds. If they can't see the evil and what Desmond has done and carried out, you're not going to convince them otherwise, So I'm like, I'm not going to waste my time, energy and emotions on these people.
Speaker 3: So you've got that side of it.
Speaker 2: Then you've got the community and Bright and in Port Punker who are so angry at Desmond for what he's done and for what he's done to their community as well, because they said, we're not all like this, we don't all have these sick beliefs. We love the police and you know, we follow the rules and we follow the law. And a lot of them actually donated food and coffee to the officers who were working relentlessly for the seven months that were based there for so long. So you've got that side of it. You've got all these different little sides of a town that's grieving in their own way. And then of course you've got Desmond's family. So his son actually posted pretty soon after this long post on Facebook in their community page basically just saying that those people who are celebrating my dad's death, you know you're with this and that and and he said what my dad did was wrong and he should never have done that, but he's my dad, and people who were celebrating his death, you know this is not nice, it's not fair, and and so there's just all these elements to it of grief. But the biggest one, of course, was for the families of Neil and for dim like, this is a man who had been on the run for so long and so many unknowns, like, you know, was he alive, was he dead? Everyone had a theory. Everyone thought, oh, he's done this, or he's gone here, or at the end of the day, you've got two families who you know, finding him is not going to bring their love once back. But it's a little bit of I can only imagine it would be a little bit of closure.
Speaker 1: I think it's also unfair for these conspiracy theorists because that's what they are, and I remember dealing with them during COVID as a journalist as well, and their beliefs just get so warped and they get so kind of removed from reality and say things like you're celebrating his death. No, they were probably relieved it was over and that, you know, it had finally come to an end. These people aren't cheering that the man's died. They're just glad it's over, and it was.
Speaker 2: I think you're right, it's that it's that it was over, like that man hunt, the search for Desmond, the appeals, the you know, there'd always be like little oh potential sighting was it was it is he there? Or is he here? Or the gossip as well. I think kind of puts an end to that town gossip. But with that said, there are still, like you mentioned, the people who genuinely think that it's a police cover up and it's or you know, the police are out to get him, and like it's I personally can't see.
Speaker 3: Any sense in any of that.
Speaker 2: And to me, anyone who is murdered the way that for Dim and Neil and had their lives taken from them in such a violent way, there's no ifs, there's no butts. It's evil, it's brutal. And they didn't deserve to die like that. No one deserves to die like that. Everyone deserves to go home to their families and loved ones at the end of their working day, and they didn't. And people defending Desmond, like I said, you just can't.
Speaker 3: It makes you angry.
Speaker 2: It makes even talking about it, you're like, oh, I just it infuriates you, because how can you be so cold herded to think there's any sense to it.
Speaker 1: I think you're juggling a baby, You're juggling step kids everything. Is this a story that you have found quite defining in your career covering this?
Speaker 2: I think it has been, but not by choice, if that makes sense. Like for me, my job has always been really important to me, and I think being a journalist is a privilege. And I think covering news and giving people a voice and maybe they don't have a voice or can't get their message across is It's something that I don't take for granted ever. But I think this story, I think because it just went on for so long, and I think the added layer of like you know, I was pregnant with my daughter when the man Hutt was on, and then my daughter was here when they found him.
Speaker 3: It's just like all these different little bits to it. I think for me, my.
Speaker 2: Biggest thing is I never I always want to treat people that I interview and speak to you with respect.
Speaker 3: And I have a lot of respect for the police. I think what they do is bloody hard work. And you know, when.
Speaker 2: I spoke to Wayne Gatt, the union, the police union boss, he said, post COVID is so much anger towards police, and we see it like in protests. There's almost a protest every single weekend in Melbourne, and I see.
Speaker 3: What they have to put up with. And it's only because they're in uniform.
Speaker 2: If they took the uniform off, they probably would have be spoken to the way that they'd spoken to it. It's the uniform that upsets people. And I think my job is really important. And I I remember saying to my boss at the time after all this happened, I'm like, I don't want.
Speaker 3: This to be about me, Like this is about them. This is about Neil and the dim in the forest.
Speaker 2: So I just I just want to do the best that I can do as a reporter to cover the facts accurately and fairly and represent that as best as.
Speaker 3: I can do.
Speaker 2: And he was like, yeah, fair point, that makes sense. So yeah, it's been it's been a lot. And even now I'm like, oh, did I do the right thing on the day, Like should I have left my baby?
Speaker 3: But everyone I've.
Speaker 2: Spoken to you said she won't have any clue and it's a story to tell her when she's older, And I'm like, true, but it's.
Speaker 3: That guilt, right, You get guilt, like as a new mom. I'm like all these different.
Speaker 2: Feelings and thoughts, and you want to protect your career, but then you also want to be present as a parent, as a partner.
Speaker 3: So just juggling all of.
Speaker 1: That, Cassie, this will only happen. What's seven eight months ago, it's so fresh. The murders of the Dim and Neil. Their families are still in deep grief trying to come to terms with what happened. This is something the Force, their families are going to be dealing with for many months and years to come, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Oh, Jim, Absolutely, I think this is something that their families and the Force, it'll always.
Speaker 3: Be with them.
Speaker 2: The brutality of it, of course, and also the other people and the other officers who were involved in that search warrant that day. There was a third police officer who was shot and injured and he literally had to hide under the bus to protect himself until back up arrived. So you can only imagine what he's going through. And in his recovery. You've got the other members who witnessed it. You've got that fourth police officer, the female sergeant who had a gun pointed at her and it didn't go off. You can only imagine, and I haven't spoken to them, I don't know, but the ripple effect mentally and physically that this will have on the Victoria police community will be ongoing. I'm now band together and they'w mourn and grieve and work towards, you know, some sort of new normal. But then you've got the families like Vidim, he was in his early thirties, there's so much, there was so much ahead of him. And then you've got Neil who right now should have been enjoying his retirement years, going camping and spending time with his partner, and they don't get to do that. So the ripple effect that this shooting will have on the Victorian community and the policing community will be in what I believe, ongoing for some time.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Thank you to Cassie for joining us on this episode. You can find a link to the six part podcast, Deisi Freeman the Hunt at the link in our show notes. Thanks so much for listening. I'll be back next week with another true crime conversation.