Speaker 1: You're listening to a Muma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and waters that this podcast is recorded on Hello and welcome to but are You Happy? The podcast that asks the questions you've always wanted to know from the people who appear to have it all. Arianne Titmas is just twenty three years old and is the reigning Olympic champion in the women's two hundred meter and four hundred meter freestyle. She's the current world record holder in the long course four hundred meter freestyle event. She is literally the best in the world at what she does.
Speaker 3: Aria Tipmas is hanging on can't you get there? World records catching up? Come on an get there, come on down record for can you my good?
Speaker 1: And Marvi parist W was primped from her and Horror Kids a crenting grimmed but I knew world record to our real Chickson, not other thorns.
Speaker 2: But I wanted to speak to her ahead of the twenty twenty four Paris Games about how that kind of success changes the nature of your relationship.
Speaker 4: A lot of people started to come out of the woodworks that you hadn't spoken to for a long time. And maybe I knew them for like a snippet here or there in my life, and people will draw on one experience they have with you to relate themselves to you. Well, I contributed to that or I knew her here, And it was probably the first time in my life I really started to feel trust issues with people around me.
Speaker 2: Why she has intentionally chosen not to have a performance or mindset coach, and how when it comes to happiness, she'd trade in every medal she's ever won to achieve another goal entirely.
Speaker 4: I think it really hit me that I want children so badly one day It's like my biggest goal in my life. I would give up every metal I've ever won to be a mother.
Speaker 2: Here's my conversation with Arianne Titmus. Arianne Titmus, sitting in front of me right now. You are not far from competing in the Paris Olympics. You appear to me to be in peak physical form, although I'm not the expert when it comes to that. You just you look incredibly healthy. And you're the reigning Olympic champion in the women's two hundred meter and four hundred meter freestyle, having won both events at the twenty twenty Olympics and you're the world record holder in the four hundred meter freestyle. I want to start in the present moment. How would you describe your life as it is right now?
Speaker 4: I would say my life as it is right now is probably as physically and mentally tough as a would possibly be. I think right now I'm in the absolute crux of preparing for an Olympic Games, and my life is kind of in hibernation outside of training. I've pretty much had to put my social life, work, outside of swimming, everything on the back burner. There's really no time for anything else other than training. But you have to be content with that decision and that choice, because at the end of the day, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to compete in Olympic Games, and then even more so to have the chance to race for gold and be a legitimate chance. You really have to be content with the decisions you make, to be able to prioritize the training in my life and then know that really it'll be all over very quickly.
Speaker 2: It feels like such a rare skill to be able to put that future goal on a pedestal and sacrifice the present for that. And I think that's what a lot of us struggle with is day to day. We might have a goal that we're working towards, but the short term gratifications in front of us are so much that we stop working towards that. Do you ever feel like you're missing out on stuff in the moment because you're working so hard for those goals, like missing out on being in your twenties and going out and partying or traveling or anything like that because you're working on such a long term goal.
Speaker 4: I think a few years ago, definitely before my first Olympic Games, I always said to myself or my friends that asked me this, do you feel like you sacrifice a part of your life? And I used to always say no, because these are choices that I make, and I get to live such an incredible life and travel the world and represent our country and I've made friends overseas and I get to do something that not many people get to do. But then after the last Olympics, when I had, I guess, my real first time away from the sport, I got to experience a lot of things that I missed out on growing up. I got to really immerse myself into figuring out who I was outside of swimming and spending time with my family and friends and not having to have at the back of my mind or worry about training the next morning. And one of my friends is saying to me a lot at the moment because pretty much the only thing I can do to hang out with my friends is cook dinner at home and lay on the couch or get a coffee or do something really simple. And she keeps saying to me, Oh, my gosh, I can't wait till you're just a normal person in a few months time. But I think the same thing as well. But then I also say, you know what, I have this one chance to go for it. I'm only young once. A lot of people would dream to be in my position, and I think I would regret it for the rest of my life if I resented the work that I have to put in. And I should be grateful that I've been blessed with this incredible gift and opportunity. And so I think it's more the choices you make and not so much sacrifices. And if you look at it that way, I think it becomes a lot easier to live the life of a professional athlete.
Speaker 2: You had huge success at the Tokyo Olympics and you were just Australia's Golden girl, and it was there were memes about Dean and just how much joy he got from watching you. I can imagine that is some of the greatest success a person could imagine at an incredibly young age. But you say there were parts of that that the world would think it was the absolute happiest moment of your life, that that would be conducive to pure unbridled happiness. But you've kind of said it was a bit more complicated than that. Do you want to speak about that a little bit?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think there's like a few aspects to it. For me, going into those games, I definitely knew there was an expect on me to win, like there is going into these ones. And for me when I did win the four hundred, and it wasn't a sense of joy or happiness that I kind of initially felt. It was relief and like a thank God, like the monkey's off my back. And when you really think about it, that's probably not how you should feel when you've achieved your greatest dream. And once the games were over and things started to sink in a little bit. Then I did start to feel the joy in elation that you should feel, and I finally realized what I had achieved. But one thing is when you're preparing for an event like an Olympics, like I am now in the final stages, you really have to know who in a circle is and have a small group of friends and family around you that truly understand what you are preparing for and understand that maybe I don't have time for them right now and that's okay, but they completely stand that. And one thing that really hit me after the last Olympics was I got so many messages of support and congratulations and it's overwhelming. And I definitely did feel the support from hundreds of people, but a lot of people started to come out of the woodworks that you hadn't spoken to for a long time, and maybe I knew them for like a snippet here or there in my life, and people will draw on one experience they have with you to relate themselves to you. Well, I contributed to that or I knew her here, And it was probably the first time in my life I really started to feel trust issues with people around me. I have always been someone who's had my heart on my sleeve. I have no filter. I say it how it is, and I've always trusted people quite easily and felt like I had a pretty good gut feel and good read on people around me. And I questioned whether people wanted to be in my life and be my friend because of who I am at the core and who I am as a person as arian me, or whether they wanted a piece of me just because I was this new golden bill in the limelight and they could draw on that. And it was really hard to navigate that, and even though there was so many people around me, I felt quite isolated and had to really think about who I could truly trust in those moments. And you figure it out quickly, because as soon as I guess the whole Olympic hype dies down, you realize who still hangs on and still wants to check in and see you and make sure you're okay. So I think that's something that I really had to learn to navigate. And I was not even twenty one when I wanted the last Olympics, and so it's something pretty challenging to navigate. But I feel really lucky that I do genuinely have a really great close group around me.
Speaker 2: It's something that you think a lot of successful people must experience, and people don't talk about it a lot that I can imagine. I mean, if I'd gone to primary school with you, I would have been thinking, yeah, no, we were best friends and one time we raised and I just really think I motivated her, and so I can understand how that happens. Why do you think it feels so disappointing? Was there anything kind of hurtful about people reaching out? Does it make you feel like your only worth is in that external success when people reach out to.
Speaker 4: You like that, Yeah, I swim, I'm not a swimmer. Swimming is an aspect of my life, and at the moment it's a major aspect of my life, but it's not who I am, and a lot of people never ever ever wanted a piece of me before all this success came. So it does kind of put your worth on the joy and success from tangible things like Olympic gold medals. But I was having a conversation with someone the other day and what we said was, I'm going to go to these paras Olympics, and of course I have big goals, but you can't let your joy be determined by what you do and don't achieve. And I think that that's what I've realized now, that you can't base someone or look at someone and think you know who they are because of what they've achieved in the world. And so I think that's something that I've realized, and it's also made me realize definitely in tough times since the last Olympics. You go through tough times and you realize who you real people are and they still want just as much of you, even when you're not the best version of yourself. And so I think that's also probably been a wonderful thing that's come out of it. Since the last Olympics, met so many incredible people and a lot of them have stuck around, and so that's a positive I guess that I'll take from the experience as well.
Speaker 2: Coming up, Marianne talks about what it was like for her whole family to move into State to support her swimming, and the anxiety of not fitting in when they got there. So you were in Tasmania and your training and then you and your family moved to Brisbane in order to have the best training you could possibly have. I think you've said something about how being in Tasmania wasn't conducive to super high performance, which is fascinating because Brisbane is just where the best people are for swimming. So you move to Brisbane, but that means a total upheaval of your life. How old were you and what changes and challenges did you face when you moved to Brisbane.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I was fourteen when we made the move, and I will be forever grateful for my family to do that. I look at a fourteen year old girl now who's Sumi, and I think to myself, how did my mom and dad have the belief in me to think that she's going to make it and quit their jobs look for new work. I remember we moved to Brisbane and we legitimately didn't have a place to live. We stayed with my coach at the time, had a friend who had a spare bedroom and we all stayed in there together, the four of us, for like two weeks until we found a rental. And I think there were a few challenges. I mean, growing up in Tazzy, I had the most incredible childhood, Like Loncessen is such a small town and I never had to make a friend in my life. I went through primary school and then went into high school. My entire class went to the same high school, and I never had to try and fit in. I guess everyone knows everyone in Tazzy and I enjoyed that small town vibe a lot. I always said to myself, I would never want to live in a big city, even the thought of moving. A couple of years prior to moving, I was adamant we were not. But then it wasn't until I think I really truly realized if I wanted to make something of myself as an athlete. I was kind of left with no choice and I was just very lucky that my parents were willing to back me. But coming to Brisbane, I remember before we left we were looking at schools and where to go, and I was very lucky. I was offered a swimming scholarship to one of Brisbane's top private girls schools. And Tazzy can be a bit rough around the edges, but so proud of it, and came into this entirely new environment that I'd never been exposed to before. With it was so prim and proper and just exposed to girls that had been brought up in such a privileged lifestyle. I was just blown away with everything and totally didn't feel like I fit in and you almost have to fake it. And I'm very lucky that I had my swimming to kind of draw back on, and that's why we moved. But it was really challenging, and my dad actually stayed back in Tazzy for six months working while he was looking for work up here, and my mom and dad had never spent that long a part and it was really challenging on them. And I still feel like, really like I owe them for putting them through that, and so that was definitely a big challenge for us. And it was really tough in the beginning to make friends as well, Like going into an all girls school in year ten is really hard. So I found that really challenging actually when I think back on it. But I'm lucky that when I then moved swimming clubs to where I trained now at Saint Peter's, you had to go to school to swim there, so in the squad I had once I moved there, I had a bunch of friends that I walked up the hill to school with, so I had that when I moved schools for swimming, but in the beginning it was actually really hard. I'd never been excluded or felt like I didn't fit into my entire life, but I definitely would say that I felt that in the beginning.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine that decision from your family and then the pressure that you'd feel to be like, oh wow, I better actually work hard at training if they've made this decision for me. And that contrast of coming from your sharing a room and then turning up to a private school and knowing that you've got a bit of a different lifestyle to the others must have been really jarring.
Speaker 4: Yeah it was, and you just have to pretend. I guess I was just blown away, like I'd never seen wealth like it in my life. You know, kids getting dropped off to school in their dad's ferrari or whatever, and you're just exposed to that in little old contestins. Yeah. So, yeah, it was a whole new experience for me. But at the same time, I was also juggling like the expectation to truly make it as a swimmer, Like I never ever felt a sense of pressure for it all to come to fruish from my mum and Dad like, that's something that I will be always so grateful for. I never ever felt a sense of you have to make it. We've made this big sacrifice for you. I never ever felt that from them, but within myself I did because it was such a huge sacrifice and a massive upheople of our life that if it hadn't have all happened, I think I would have felt like I'd let them down. So I was managing that as well. So I remember when we first moved, I was training so hard. I just was doing everything I possibly could to become a success, and then it would have been within a year and a half that I made the Australian team. So I guess it all did happen, but it could have easily gone the other way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's the risk you've got to take after the break. Arianne shares what happened when she had a scant and doctors made a worrying discovery. You had a bit of a scary experience late last year with a health issue, having a scan and finding some ovarian cysts. When that happened, what kind of impact did that have on your mental health and where were you in terms of your happiness when there's such a big threat to your health and your well being.
Speaker 4: I just kind of got back into the group of swimming after a break following Worlds last year, so I was still kind of in mind. I wasn't taking training too seriously. I was back and I was getting fit again, but we weren't in the super specific crux of high performance training yet because we just came back off a break.
Speaker 2: And when you have a break from swimming, are you not swimming or are you still training but just not as hard as you usually do.
Speaker 4: I had two weeks out of the water. Oh wow, so yeah, yeah, so nice little sabbatical, I guess. Yeah. Yeah. When I get back in the water after two weeks, I feel like I forgot how to swim. Wow. Yeah. So I was kind of getting my groove back a little bit. And prior to World's last year, I had a bit of a I've had a hip injury ongoing for a few years that kind of flares up and goes away, and we didn't bother about getting a scan before Worlds because I was doing everything I could. It was just a bit of pain management. But I said to my physio when I come back and I've got more time on my hands and training is not as hectic. Let's scan my hip. I just want to know what's going on in there. And when I did my scan foot nothing of it. I was thinking it was going to just be something to do with the tendon in my hip. Flakes are and I remember my physio told me everything with my hip, which was fine, and she said, oh, has the doctor phoned you? And I said no, but like she's like, oh, just wait for him to call you. I said, oh, can't you tell me, because when they say that, you know something's wrong. Yeah. So I rang my doctor straight away, and so he told me that they'd scanned me very thoroughly and they'd found on the right ovary, which was the opposite side to my sore hip, this big growth and they thought it was a dermoid to start with, which is what it ended up being, but they still can't really tell. So she said, you need to go and see your go on to acologist. And I'm very lucky that I have a great relationship with her anyway, So I said straight away, like I want her to do the surgery if that's what I need. And she said to me, well, you need to go and do all these tests. I need you to go and do cancer markers. I need you to go and have an internal ultrasound to figure out how big it is to help navigate the surgery, and we need to make up like a rehab plan. And I was like, oh, you know, I'll be able to go back in the water in a week or whatever, and she said, no, like you need to have like a proper time out of the water, Like an incision through your abdominalt wall is like a proper thing. And I was like, this can't be real, Like I can't be in the peak of my athletic career and getting blood tests for cancer on my ovaries. And for me, I think the biggest thing was once we found out what it was, and it was pretty harmless, but it was huge. It was eight by seven centimeters, which is just incredible that it was inside me for so long, and I didn't realize. I think once all the surgery happened and I was fine and everything was all good and I was recovering, the thing that I realized was that it put a lot in my life into perspective. It really hit me that I want children so badly one day it's like my biggest goal in my life. I would give up every metal I've ever won to be a mother. And I just feel so lucky now that I'm fine and I still get to train every day and chase my goals in the pool, but also hopefully be a mum too.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I think life does that on purpose. I found when I'm going too far down a path where I'm very focused on achievement or very focused on outcomes, You'll have this scary moment like that that you go, oh, hold on, none of that matters. What matters is my health, Like the fact that it reminds you in a scary way that you have so much to be grateful for and so much could be taken away out of your control. You have talked a little bit about when you're training and competing, you have to work quite hard to block out the noise, whether that's social media or actual media, things being written about you, the expectations and the pressure that people are putting on you. How does that work? Because the idea that you consider that noise and you've kind of just got to focus on the task at hand seems so obvious, But I think it's something most of us don't think about seeing that as a bit of a decision to block out things like social media that are so unnecessary. When you're now training and going to the paras Olympics, are you going to completely get off social media and try and block out all of that for want of a better word, bullshit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, Olympic sport is quite strange how I mean, swimming gets a little bit of media attention every year when we go away and compete internationally and we do incredible. I mean last year we top the metal tally, which is unreal. And then but as an Olympic sport that is so successful, I don't think you're prepared for the massive amount of who hear around swimming once every four years. So for me, I know a lot of the well wishes and media articles and write ups and everything about swimming all comes mostly from a good place. But when you read every time how everyone thinks, how great you are, everyone thinks you're going to win, it can kind of like build up, build up, build up, and make you realize, oh shit, Like if I don't win, people are going to be sad, not just me, but I've let people down, and so I think The best thing I do is the expectations that I put on myself, and the goals I set have to be firmer than what I feel from external noise. I guess. So what I do do is at Olympics, I delete every social media off my phone. Even if you're getting hundreds and thousands of messages of well wishes and congratulations, it's way too overwhelming to even deal with. One. You can sit there for hours reading it and then you're like, oh shit, I'm not asleep, so then my effectual performance. But two. At an Olympics it is a pressure cooker environment. You have to keep the lead on the entire time, and one tiny thing that can release the valve could undo your entire week. So I just think it's not even worth engaging in any of it. So I won't be on anything while I'm racing. I'll probably get my manager to run my Instagram, and then once I go back on when I finished racing, I remember last time, it was the most unreal feeling, like seeing all the support all at once, but it's just with the task at hand. At an Olympic Games, it's the most exhausting week of your life. You just can't afford to engage at all in anything else.
Speaker 2: I think that's probably something a lot of us should be aware of that if we've got a massive goal, social media isn't helping in such a distraction for everyone. And I mean, I can imagine with swimming, and when what you're doing is so incredibly public, it's just even more of a distruction.
Speaker 4: Could be wrong. There's a lot of good stuff, but there's also a lot of crap, and there's a lot of people with opinions that don't matter.
Speaker 2: Arianne and I had such an incredible conversation that we decided to split this final episode of the season into two parts just to share the entire interview with you. You can listen to part two right after this there's a link in the show notes. In part two, we dive deeper into the reality of preparing for the Olympic Games, how Arianne would feel if she doesn't win gold in Paris, and her biggest personal insecurities outside of swimming. She also reveals if she has a backup plan for life after retirement from the sport. This episode was produced by Tarlie Blackman, with audio production by Scott Stronik.