Speaker 1: Welcome to Parenting out Loud, the podcast for news, trends, culture, all kinds of parenting chitchat. What we like to do is talk about the things that parents are thinking about. I'm Monice Boy, I'm Amelia Lester.
Speaker 2: And I'm Stacy Kicks. And coming up on today's show, we have some Muma mea Baby news. But everyone is talking about the name. That's not the part we want to talk about.
Speaker 3: There's an article about how no one is reading anymore. It sent everyone into a tisio over the last week. But we have some counterpoints.
Speaker 1: When you hear the words my daughter is my best friend, what do you think really? Truly? I want to talk about how the biggest show on TV right now is making the case for best friend parenting.
Speaker 3: But first, the Men's World Cup is reaching its final exciting stages. Yes I said it, the Men's World Cup. But one parent may have taken their pride in their child's achievements a tad too far. Have you heard of Erling Harland.
Speaker 2: This is the man with the big blonde pony.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, the Norwegian striker who looks like a Viking and has a man burn.
Speaker 2: I want his haircare routine immediately. That is extent of my knowledge of this man.
Speaker 3: Everyone loves him. He's kind of like the unofficial star of the tournament. That said his team Norway was knocked out by England over the weekend, but Erling's dad couldn't let it go. He happens to also be a former professional soccer player. His name is alf Inger Harland. And instead of saying well done, son, you tried hard, I'm proud of you, I mean he may have said that alf Inger Harland instead took to X and that's never a good sign when you take to X. But someone had posted on X well done to Jude Bellingham, who was one of the English players who kicked a goal during the game, and Alfinger re spawns well done Bellingham and referee, basically implying that the referee kind of rigged the game for England.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: This really tickled me because it reminds me of the signs that I see at my kids football games. There are these signs up basically telling parents to calm down, take a chill, pill, not take everything so seriously, don't argue with the referee. And the sign ends with this is not the World Cup. But the question is what if it is the world this is the actual World Cup, minds, would you be able to resist weighing in?
Speaker 1: Do you know what? I'm over this? Like this is the exact kind of unsports some like behavior that we are trying to stamp out in junior sport. And so to see a parent on the sideline blaming a ref on the world stage is actually disgusting, and I'm not about it, and I think, I just I don't even know what to say. When I saw this, I just thought it's everything we're doing, the kid's sport is trying. It's a horrible example of unsportsmanlike behavior. And I'm a bit over men just thinking that they can come out and just say awful things about people all the time and just get away Scott Free. Not on my watch, girls, not on my watch, but Red Card.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm famously not a sporty gal. You know, I played golf for about four months before before retiring, and that's about as sporty as I get. But you said he was an athlete himself, like he played this game as well, And I imagine it's then very hard once you're retired and you're watching your child do that exact thing that you did to kind of turn off that passion for the game. I'm not excusing him, you know, I agree you probably shouldn't say that, but like, isn't that just passion for the game. Don't you kind of need that passion to get to that level.
Speaker 3: Well it's sort of extra sad though, because earling is kind of a famously good sport, and in fact, when that player, Jude Bellingham kicked that goal, those two players are very close, and so I bet he was really mad at his dad for this, because he's out there giving Drew Bellingham a hug and being so respectful and supportive of the opposing team's achievements, and then his dad just kind of ruins it all. The end of reading is here. That's according to an article from the Atlantic, which is everywhere this week. Now, that conclusion, it feels shocking, but not necessarily surprising. Let's face it, I think we all know how our attentions fans have been shot over the last decade or so by short form video and social media, and we're just generally less likely to pick up a book. I think that's sort of a given at this point. But what I found most chilling about the article was the idea that the kids who are growing up today, so these are kids who are theoretically not yet on social media, not yet on smartphones, certainly not even using the Internet with any regularity or without close supervision, those children are actually facing the same problems and are also not reading. So it might be something like in the air which is causing people not to read. I pulled out some facts from the article to share on this point. First is that this next generation coming up now reads much less than today's adults did when they were kids. Second fact, I've got three of them. Every year older a child gets, the less they are likely to like to read. And then final scary fact, high school students have started to think of reading for pleasure as an alien practice. This is what people told The Atlantic Reporter again and again. In high schools, students just don't understand the concept of picking up a book for pleasure. So that's kind of horrifying. But at the same time, I'm a little skeptical about articles like this. They induce a lot of panicinness there's a lot of kind of getting clicks because you're scaring people, and they don't offer a lot of solutions. And this Atlantic article even concedes this really interesting point that I don't think it makes enough of, which is that people are actually reading more text now than ever before on their phones. It's just that that text isn't necessarily in the form of a bound book that you sit down and read in the way you used to. So the big question that I want to put to you both, and I'm going to start with you Stacy, is this really the end of reading or are people just reading in different ways? Do we all need to come down? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I do feel like this is a little bit of a moral panic and that we're reading in different ways, and that we're consuming knowledge in different ways too, Like if you think about podcasts that people are listening to and audiobooks, and the fact that there's so much more television at a disposal now, it's not the same three channels and you've kind of just got to watch what's on, Like there is so many there's so much slot, But there's also so much educational content on there as well, And isn't that essentially like the purpose of reading is to kind of spark creativity to learn. It's just that we're doing that in different formats. Now, and as you said, we're reading so much like between the school WhatsApp group and the emails you might do during the day, like we are consuming a lot of words. It's more just that it's not the high fluting books that some literary types might.
Speaker 3: And in fact, arguably we're even writing more than a yeah before too, because so much of how we communicate with people now is through texts, which was not the case to say when we were growing up. Mon's what was your reaction to this article, Amelia?
Speaker 1: This was the longest article you've ever sent me to read, and I didn't. I couldn't even read the whole thing. Case in point, I boring. Oh my god, Amelia, it was four thousand words. So I skimmed it and look, then I got the gist and I went straight to Australian research because I was like, okay, America, shut up, you're just falling to pieces. We don't want your panic to say a state like what are we doing in Australia. It's different, and you're right, it's not so bad here, like everything's going to be okay. But the point you made before about us reading more texts and we read more words, and we read words differently. That may be true, but educators are sort of concerned because what books do is when you read a book across a period of time, you have to There's lots of skills that come with kind of deep reading and long form reading, like you understand metaphor, you understand figurative language. Yeah, so educator is a concern because while kids can read words, and words are great, and it's great that they have good knowledge of what a word is, they're lacking comprehension. They don't understand metaphor, and they can't sort of think more deeply or about books and stories. And so that's I think some of the panic is around that while they can, literacy rates are great, it's those soft skills that come with sitting with a book for a long time. And the other point someone made is that it requires kind of attention and focus because a novel means you have to sit with it and you have to hold a story in your head. You have to think about different characters, different story arcs, you have to think about the entire like sort of life cycle of a book. When you're watching TV or you're consuming other media, it barely asks you to hold anything for very long, and so that was the concern too about sort of like deep focus on something.
Speaker 3: But the funny thing is that when novels first came about in roughly the seventeenth eighteenth century, they were not seen as a worthy endeavor. In fact, people reading novels were seen as wasting time. So it's sort of funny that we've now decided as a society that reading novels is just the most educated era thing you can do. That said, I'm going to argue against myself a little bit and say that there does seem to be something kind of magical about reading books. And just to pick one interesting example, this is Australian research modes. Outside of schoolwork, a child can read as few as one hundred thousand words per year and as many as ten million words a year, and that is just determined by how much they are reading outside of school. That is a huge range. There's a huge opportunity there to kind of stuff a child's head full of interesting words that they can then draw on in their everyday life. So there does seem to be something kind of inherently magical that happens when children in particular.
Speaker 1: Pick up books. The other moral panic we see is around book Week, which is coming up in August. FYI, if you haven't sort of your costume thinks, start to think about it now, because August will be here in a blink. Every year the book Week rolls around, we see these kinds of opinion columns come out and say, oh, oh, my school's full of Pokemon characters and we had Disney princesses, and we had Spider Man, and it's just terrible and that all these purists that come out and want children to dress up as proper book characters. And that is also fraught and not entirely helpful. Because I read this great piece in the Conversation by an education researcher Joanne O'Mara, and she says, don't worry about what they come to as book week. The important thing is like, if you want kids that read, you've got to let them choose what to read. So if they read a blue book, who cares, They're into it, they love it. If they read a Spider Man comic, who cares, it's all reading. And she says that's what builds a reading habit, Like, do not judge your kids on what they read. Don't force your kids to read what you deem a worthy book. In fact, too many kids experience what she calls and I love this term. It's actually coined by author and teacher Kelly Gallagher. She called it read aside, which is the systematic killing of the love of reading, often exacerbated by the inane, mind numbing practices of school. So the argument is is like, if you make reading not fun in your house, if you're like it becomes a forced chore and your child doesn't have any choice of what they're reading. It becomes this kind of rote thing that they feel that they have to do, they're not going to love reading. So what they're saying is just let them go for it. Whatever an audiobooks count to. And but I see from what you deem I think that point about listening the range is so important. But at the same time, I'm also told to create habit, and habit is so much about doing something every day, whether or not you especially feel like doing it. So sometimes when I hear that advice, I feel like I'm getting slightly mixed messages from experts, because yeah, I do try and read with my children or have them read to themselves every single night, but that's like brushing her teeth. Sometimes they really don't want to do it. Am I committing read? Aside by forcing them to do it every night? Are you forcing them to read like told story? Or do they get to choose when they read?
Speaker 2: Mostly they get to choose. But I wonder whether this now for parents is a bit trickier because it's like a do as I say, not as I do situation in that when you become a parent, a lot of what you when you read is by yourself once your children are asleep. Is kind of that moment of solitude where you do it. So they're not seeing you do that, but they do see you pick up your phone quite often. So it's very hard to like them be engaging them and making that something that they see as something that they really want to do.
Speaker 1: So I asked Sally Hepworth about this.
Speaker 3: You might know her.
Speaker 1: She's a friend of the show. She's an amazing host of Unleashed, another mum of meer podcast, which is hilarious, and she's also a New York Times best selling author. And she has three children, all of whom are voracious readers. And I said, tell me your secrets. What are you doing in your house to create these conditions where your kids will just dive into books four hours. And she gave me some great tips. The first one was, just as you said before, Stacey, kids need to see you read, so if they're seeing you enjoy books, that kind of modeling is really powerful. And she said reading needs to be valued in your house and prioritized. So she'll say to her kids when they're at the shops and they want a toy, she'll say, no, I'm not getting you a toy, but if you want a book, you can have any book you like. I will never not buy you a book if that's what you want, Like, there is no limit on how many books I will buy you, So she prioritizes books over toys. She says reading to your children long after they can read to themselves, is really important. She says, let them read whatever they want to read. A comic book counts and audiobook counts. And the last tip is kind of like controversial I thought, is that age inappropriate books are fine. In her opinion. She says, kids want to be like titillated, and they want to read things that are scary, and they want to read things that are a bit rude. So if you think like she said, give them books that will make their heart wild and make their brain fire up, you know, like kids want that make it exciting and fun for them. So yeah, I love that.
Speaker 3: I mean, of course, she's a New York Times bestselling author. She just coined the phrase gives them books that make their hearts wild. That is so beautiful, Sally, thank you.
Speaker 1: No one else is cute?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: You know? When it comes to researching for this show, I found out all these great things about the way Australia does stuff. Do you know every single state and territory runs a Premier's Reading Challenge where kids are encouraged to read like twenty or thirty books a year. They write them all down, send them into the Premiere or the head of state of territory and they get an award.
Speaker 2: That's so cute.
Speaker 1: I want an adults Premiers Reading Challenge.
Speaker 2: You know. While we're on reading, I have recorded on this show, but it was a long time ago. Now is that Dolly Imagination Dolly's Imagination Library. So Dolly Parton sponsors books to get sent to kids all around the world. So if you're you're in an eligible area, you get a free book a month until they're five years old.
Speaker 3: Taylor and Travis just don't two million dollars.
Speaker 2: Yes, so they're probably expanding it out now. So my daughter got a book a month from Dolly Parton.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the best and the cues are so carefully chosen, so great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're often really tiny books too, so they're not like these big you know, because they're posting them out to you, so they're very easy to lug around and have them read wherever you are. It's the best thing. So our beloved Claire Stevens, the host of Mum and Me Are Out Loud and the sometimes host of Parenting Out Loud as well, she had her second baby, little boy called Darcy, who is honestly one of the cutest newborn babies.
Speaker 3: I've honestly said, this is what everyone is saying about this baby.
Speaker 2: He is so so cute. He's like a fully conscious baby, like he looks like he's been here before.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: But there is a detail that really spoke to all of us in the photos that Claire posted, and that was Claire's Claire just looking so so happy with her post birth meal, which was a large macas meal, which I think is brilliant. She had gestational diabetes. She has been waiting to have some junk food and I can just imagine how good that would have tasted to her. So it got me thinking about, like, what was your post birth meal, because so many people are like, I'm banging it for sushi, Like I want sushi or I want a champagne? What did you two have? I when I had my.
Speaker 3: First child, I had no idea about how it would all feel afterwards, but I had this vision that I would be sweaking champagne. Yes, so we bought champagne to the hospital, And as you may know, it's not really the thing you do after giving birth. So I think my first post birth meal slash treat was not realized.
Speaker 2: Oh maybe you need to just treat yourself to a really nice meal. Now I've been treating myself ever since.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, mon's.
Speaker 1: I remember the cup of tea that I had in the birthing sweet was the best cup of tea of my life. And they gave me an egg sandwich as well, and I've never been happier, Honestly. I remember saying to them, this is the best cup of tea I've ever had. It was because I just lipped in in a polystyrene cut, just yeah, you're so, you're just a different person after you give birth, and it just yeah, it just felt really intense.
Speaker 2: I remember the similar mons having a sandwich, like the sad little sandwich they give you on the tray, and being like, oh, this sandwich is the best sandwich. I think it was about two days old, like it was not fresh. But I remember thinking how amazing that sandwich was. But I ordered a family pizza for myself to the hospital that night. I ate a whole good pizza and it was iconic. Yeah, it was great. All of this to say, congratulations, Declare, and I hope you have many more macas meals in.
Speaker 3: Big Macs to come.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to.
Speaker 1: Talk about a different parent child relationship, and that is the mother daughter relationship in l Now, this is the number one show on Prime at the moment. It's the Legally Blonde prequel, right is it good about blonds?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: It's unbelievable. I I am so happy to bring this recommendation to you because I feel like all I do is watch what Stacy tells me, and now I shall bring this to you. Please, watch l and the Reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I haven't seen any I'm really glad to hear this.
Speaker 1: If you're not across it. It's kind of the Legally Blond prequel. As I said, it's Elle Woods when she's a teenager, so before she goes to Harvard, before she goes to law school, before she does the bend and snap.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like when her family moves from LA to Seattle. And the story is that she's this LA girl living in an LA world, and then she goes to the very grungy city of Seattle. It has to kind of find her bearings there. But everyone's talking about sort of the love triangle part of it, the best friend part of it. But the thing I can't stop thinking about and why I want you to watch this is because of the relationship with the mum, Eva Woods. And she's played by June Diane Raphael, who is mesmerizing in this. She is magnetic. You cannot stop watching her. She's so much fun to watch. And what's interesting is that she is positioned as Elle's best friend.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: So Elle's an only child. She's got this mother who they watch the same TV show they watch, Bold and the beautiful or days of our lives, whatever it is. Together, they tell each other everything, They dress the same, They love each other in a very best friend way. It's very much we tell each other everything. Vibes and normally the second a mum sort of says, oh, my daughter's my best friend, we're supposed to clock it as this sort of warning sign, as a bit of a red flag. It's that do you know that cool mum trope that I'm not like coolmay Yeah, the idea is like, oh no, it's a mother that's just like living through her daughter, and it's quite cringe. But I what Eva and L and I thought, oh I love this. I think I want this, like this very aspirational kind of best friend parenting. So it sounds wrong, but it feels so right when I watch this, So I want to talk about it and kind of like pull it apart, Stacy, Why does like my mum is my best friend get red as a red flag?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It's so interesting, isn't it? Because on one hand, I'm like you. When I hear you say that, I'm like, oh, I hope my daughter affuse me as her best friend when she's older. Like it does seem like a lovely thing to have, but at the same time it's given a bad rap because it comes across as maybe that the mother is living vicariously through her child, that she's kind of unwilling to grow up and see herself as the age she actually is. And in a real world sense, like experts worn against this often they're kind of like, you know, it leads to parentification of the child because you're making them kind of mature before they should be. That they're that you're acting immaturely and not acting your age, And to me, it kind of feels like that thing of why they tell you should never be best friends with your boss, Like it's okay for a while, but then eventually the boss or the parent is going to have to set a boundary or tell you to pull your socks up in some respect, and then things get awkward because it's a big shift in the dynamic. So I think that's I think that's why we're kind of told no, no, no, no no, like be close with them, but but don't be that close, right.
Speaker 1: So count counterpoint, wouldn't you want your best friends to tell you to pull your socks up when they thought you needed it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but not the other way around. You don't want your child telling you what to do. Like that's a weird flip when it gets to that point, right, I think you're.
Speaker 3: Both completely wrong. I do not want my daughter to think that I'm her best friend. I want her to have a best friend. Yeah, I mean, like that's why why doesn't she have a best That's so weird, Like that's a completely different role in someone's life.
Speaker 2: Do you know who I think has a lot to answer for for this is Laura Gilmore and Rory Gilmore in The Gilmore Girls. I think it romanticized that mother daughter relationship, that best friends tell each other all this secrets, Like we don't actually have good examples of normal mother daughter relationships in pop culture, like we have that we have the extreme closeness, or we have like Moira Rose and Alexis.
Speaker 3: And mother's son relationships. Even you've got literally psycho on one end of the spectrum. Yeah, I think that What makes me uncomfortable about this is that friendship versus a parent child relationship, there's a very different notion of privacy and what's appropriate to share. So I think with your best friend you can share a lot of details of your emotional life that I don't think would be right to share with your mother, Like your mother isn't designed to solve all your problems. I think that friends are performing a different function.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I entirely agree with that, because Amelia, I think we're seeing millennials and generations below millennials, that one's coming up, the z's, the alphas doing more best friend parenting, and I think it ties into relationships. You know, parenting styles have changed, and Boomers and Gen X it was very much like do as I say, lots of like stick and no carrot, discipline and authoritarianism. But now we're seeing the rise of gentle parenting and permissive parenting, and so there has been this dynamic shift. And I don't necessarily I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. I don't there I've said it. I think best friends is a trusting relationship and I think that that can hold between a mother and a daughter.
Speaker 2: And I mean we're seeing a lot of we're seeing a lot of estrangement now on the rise as well, between like the boomer generation and the millennial gener Like aguably, estrangement is kind of at an all time. How does that fit in with this? Well, that's the thing is that is this now that millennial parents are trying to correct that and go the opposite way. So if they had that really authoritarian parenting that Mon's is talking about, then they go, okay, well I have to do something else to ensure my child wants to be around me, and so then that seems to be okay, Well I just have to make them.
Speaker 3: It's basically a marketing exercise. Yeah, your parents, millennial parents are saying, I'm not only your parent, I'm also your friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's going to make it harder for you to cut me off. Yes, exactly, you need to keep me well into adulthood.
Speaker 1: It's funny that you mentioned Gilmore Girls before as a good pop culture example of this same thing, because this show Elle was modeled on that exact Gillmore Girls show. So the writers, the writers said, we want it to be like Gilmore Girls, and Jeane Diane Raphael in interviews for the show, said that TV mother daughter relationships usually come loaded with competition and with criticism, and they wanted this to be deliberately different. And I think the word competition's really key here because, like picture two moms that say, my daughter is my best friend, and in one corner we've got mum A and her whole personality is her daughter.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: These are kind of like dance Moms, you know that sort of show where she has no interests outside of her daughter's life and when her daughter wins, she wins. Like that is not an ideal mother daughter relationship, right. But Mother B the other mom. She has her own stuff going on, She has her own life, she has her own story arc she has, and she has her own friends, and she still chooses to spend time with her daughter because she just likes her. So that's what we're seeing in this l movie, in this LTV show, it's like Mom A as my daughter is my best friend feels problematic. Mum B just feels good.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking about it. The Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader season three that you recommended, I think Stacy and I started watching the new season and this is not a spoiler because this storyline existed in season two as well. There's a mother who was a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader and her daughter who has never made the team and who keeps auditioning, and I feel so uncomfortable when her mother. Her mother is a lovely lady by all accounts, and she's so encouraging and nurturing, and she says, I just want Dayton to be herself. But there's a part of me that feels viscerally nervous about a mother encouraging her daughter to do the same thing as her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like this is maybe a new breed of mother daughter in this show. Mon's in that it's not that thing of they have to follow in my footsteps and they have to or they have to achieve what I wasn't able to achieve. This is just genuinely, I just want to be around them, like that's all you want, right, for them to just like you as a person and you like them back.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to posit one theory to you both that I read, which I thought was really interesting, that duel income households are now the norm right in a way that they weren't for boomer raised millennials like us. So one proposed theory is that this shift towards best friend parenting is partly a symptom of nobody having time to be like the boring authority figure anymore. Yeah, like, we don't have time, we can't be bothered. It's just easier to take the path of least resistance and let's all just be friends.
Speaker 3: But doesn't someone have to set boundaries and create rules like and is that perhaps why teachers are complaining that more and more is being put on them, because parents are thinking, I'm stressed, I'm harassed, I've got all this work to do. I'm just going to pass the discipline part of this relationship onto my child's educator totally.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying that. I'm not saying that there's no discipline in this. Like one of the things that parenting experts talk about a lot is like if you put those their working in the early years, that all the years are easier for you. And like, we don't know, we don't Maybe we need like the pre prequel to it and see Elwoods as a child and a toddler. But one thing I noticed in this is there's lots of scripting that the mother does about what Woods women do, so Elwoods and Evil Woods. And that's another thing I picked up from this show because I remember parenting experts. It might be Maggie Dent talks a lot about the words that you use around the home of what kind of a family you are are really powerful and they call it scripting. And so Eva Woods says a lot of things like woods women lift people up. Woods women are really resilient. You know, us woods women, we can't wear green. You know, there's lots of like this is what we do and this what we don't. And yeah, I just thought that was an interesting bit to love her recommendations, Amelia, what have you got this week?
Speaker 3: So Christopher Nolan's Odyssey is coming out in movie theaters this week. Yes, it is starring quest to.
Speaker 1: Know about this? Is this a big blockbuster?
Speaker 2: It's got like every star in the world in it, Like name a person they're in it? Ze Day, Matt Damons, I'm stealing your thunder, Amelia under Anne Hathaway, Charlie Saran.
Speaker 3: I'm not recommending that you take your children to go and see a three hour ultra violent movie. But what I am doing is reading to my kids a version of the Odyssey which stars Nanny Piggins.
Speaker 2: Oh So.
Speaker 3: Ari Spratt is the Australian author of the Nanny Piggins series. She lives in Barrel, New South Wales, and her new book is the epically awesome Odyssey as told by Nanny Piggins, and it stars Nanny Piggins, who, if you're not familiar with her, she is a ca Yeah, it's a great Aussie book series. God, she is a cake loving pig and she is in the role of Odysseus. And one thing that's great about it is that you're reading it to your kids, and if they're vaguely familiar with the Odyssey, they'll be like, isn't Odysseus supposed to be a boy? And you say, yes, but now he's a girl and he is a pig, and so you're kind of like introducing them to the idea that these kinds of stories can be told again and again in different ways. And I love expanding their brains, making their hearts wild in that way. It's also just very funny. It's brilliantly told. I don't know the story of the Odyssey, but I do want to see the movie, so it's helping to sort of prepare me for the movie. And I also feel like I'm expanding their brains at the same time.
Speaker 1: You just expanded my brain. I have no idea what you're talking about. I have not heard of the Odyssey. I have not heard of Nanny Piggins.
Speaker 3: I realize if you were not tuned into The Odyssey or Nanny Piggins, what I just said bonds must have sounded. It's so strange.
Speaker 1: It was like another language. I had to focus so hard. But there will be people out there who are with me.
Speaker 2: I think. I also think there are people with me.
Speaker 3: The ven diagram of people who want to see the biggest movie of the year and also have kids into Nanny Piggins. That is a real group of people, those of my people, and I see them and this is for them.
Speaker 1: I believe you. Stacy, what do you recommend this way?
Speaker 2: Mine is very different to that. My recommendation.
Speaker 4: You're both just looking at me like I am like Bony, your most famous story of all time re told in the form of a beloved Australian children's work characters.
Speaker 1: I've never heard of The Odyssey. What are you even talking about?
Speaker 3: The producer has her head in her hands, That's all I'm saying, Stacy.
Speaker 2: And now now you've said that you're going to see The Odyssey absolutely everywhere, You're not going to be able to scams movie. Yeah you are, get ready. Buckle up, mine on the Venn diagram is a very broad range of people that would be able to appreciate my reco this week because mine is a particular type of apple. Stick stick with me.
Speaker 1: Everything Oyssey bigger than is the Odyssey? Bigger than Titanic? Like I thought Titanic was the biggest story.
Speaker 3: If the if Homer's Grand Epic is bigger than the Titanic, yes it is. The It is the most famous story humans have ever told to each other outside of the Bible. Now it is with Matt Damon. I don't know what more to say to you about how big the Odyssey is. Like it's yes, it's bigger than the Titanic.
Speaker 2: Okay, back to Apple.
Speaker 1: We've just been told to move it on by our producer Tessa. She's like, get off the Odyssey.
Speaker 2: And she's like recommending the apple. Goddamn it, Stacey. Okay, this is a new type of apple. This apple got released two years ago. I didn't know they were developed different variations of apples, but they are. It is the cosmic crisp apple.
Speaker 3: Okay, so tell me what it's like.
Speaker 2: Okay. It is like the crunchiness of a red Delicious and the sweetness of a Royal Gala. They are huge. They're like the size of an orange, kind of kind of like kind of like that, but they are massive, and the thing that they have is a really long shelf life, so they're really slow to brown. Even if that's the.
Speaker 3: Least sexy thing anyone's ever said about apples, it's basically like a cyborg apple.
Speaker 2: Amelia, I brought you one of these apples to try today, and can you at least tell me that it's delicious? It is so delicious, Like I'm obsessed with them. People think I have shares in this apple. I don't. I buy this apple every week. I really really love that.
Speaker 3: She's not going to be back next week. She's going to be off on a yacht in the Green Island. Apple profits.
Speaker 1: I wish with apples with Apple branding, Like have they gone right? Guys? Listen, We've got We've got the Pink Lady, We've got the Granny Smith. They're all sort of like homely. They're there for women, the women's apples, Pink Lady, Grace. We need a man's apple. What are we going to call it? Fuck it? Call it cosmic cris that's sick cosmics. It does does need an apple tech bros. We need futuristic apple anyway.
Speaker 2: The bit about the browning was that you could put it in a kid's lunch box and it wouldn't look like dirt by lunchtime. Wow, stay like apply. Do you see how.
Speaker 3: Your apple recommendation because the.
Speaker 1: Then diagram of people that eat apples is just one big circle. Amelia, we all know what an apple is.
Speaker 2: What's your apple? I think Amelia is telling us we need to read Mormon.
Speaker 1: Tell me, I'm recommending it's it's a book, it counts as a book. It's an audiobook. I guess it's an audio story.
Speaker 3: You said all that stuff before about audiobooks counting exactly.
Speaker 1: I was setting myself up to look good at the end. So Sally Hatworth says, audiobooks count because it's even though it's not words on a page, kids are still having to use their imaginations. So I'm bringing you this show that I've only just discovered, which is terrible of me, given I used to work there. It's called Story Salad by the ABC. It's on the ABC Listen app. It is so fun. It is these two hilarious kids from drama school. I guess they're adults, they have drama kid vibes. And what they do is they pluck three words out of nowhere. They get children to submit words, any random words, and then they have ninety seconds to tell a story with those three words. And it is so heavenly to listen to. It's just a really really funny concept and a fun show.
Speaker 2: It's really into it.
Speaker 3: I have listened to it with my kids. And the thing I love most is that the hosts are just living their drama kid best lives, like ye, having so much fun. And I love when they make each other just crack up spontaneously.
Speaker 1: Yes, and they're so good at it.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: So that's my reco good to listen to when you're lying in bed on the little smart speaker. That's when we do it. All right, that's all we have time for this week on Parenting out Loud. If you have to see The Odyssey, good luck with that. If you're diving into a cosmic crisp, keep an eye out in the fruit aisle for the cosmic Crisp, Give a little head nod the tech apple and get some story salad into you. Have a great week. We'll be back next Saturday morning for more chats. Mummy acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we have recorded this podcast.