Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mamma Mia podcast. Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and borders that this podcast is recorded on from Mamma Mia. Welcome to this spill your daily pop culture fix. I'm Laura Brodnick, I'm m Vernon and today some news actually on two fronts. Hers upset people about some very prominent women who have been given some very prominent roles. We're talking Krishelle stous and Kim Kardashian. Hot off the heels of North drama. She's in some drama of her own. I might have to defend her, though I don't know how that keeps happening, of course.
Speaker 2: But first, but first, actors Daisy Edgar Jones and Paul Mescale have got us talking. You might know them from their roles in the limited series adaptation of Sally Rooney's novel Normal People. They played on again, off again love interest, and it was kind of the show that just threw them into a list of I'm going to say since that show, they've both been very vocal about how close a friends they are, and fans have been hardcore shipping them together from day one. They're kind of those two people who you just are so convinced to end up marrying each other and staying together forever. So recently, Daisy posted a selfie on her Instagram stories with Paul next to her, with Tex said said, we've got some news to share. Watch this space. Now they knew exactly what they were doing here. Since then, fans have been convinced that they're going to be starring in another rom com together. But I am slightly suspicious because I do remember, I want to say, a few months ago, Iowa Deerbrie, you might know her from The Bear, did the exact same thing. She posted a photo with Paul, and everyone thought they were going to be in a rom con together, and I still think they will be.
Speaker 1: Well, at first, I thought it definitely wasn't anything to do with acting, because the thing is they hang out a lot together. They're always at events together, and lately they've been at a lot of fashion shows together and both very much in that world. So when the photo was first posted, I was like, Oh, I think this is going to be more of a fashion collab or they're doing a campaign together, which would be such a letdown for their fans were so desperate for Normal People season two. But then the studio that made Normal People shared it where and that's got me thinking, like, are they involved in another project with them or are they just jumping on the fandom of like we made these people famous, so we're going to share this cute picture, viral picture that everyone's talking about. But I don't think it'd be Normal People too, because there's not a second book. It'd be hard to know if Sally Rooney would sign off on her idea being used in that way. It really did close a chapter. So if it is a project, I'd say they were working on like a completely different story or movie together. I bet you the news will get announced like while we're in the studio, and this will sound ridiculous, but that's all we know at this point in time.
Speaker 2: I just know they've been paid a lot of money to post effort.
Speaker 1: Well exactly, but also they are I'm not being completely naive. I know there's money behind the scenes, but they do spend a lot of time together. They are, you know, friends in real life. I don't think they're dating. No, they're not dating Ian and she was as a boyfriend for a long time. I do not know if they're still together, but you know, had like a normy boyfriend for a really long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're the biggest culpridge of the soft launch.
Speaker 1: Well well, you know, as I said, we'll probably get the news today, so this will be riveting. Station will be void. But if it is an All People season two, look I'll still watch it, but I hope it's not. So we have some very exciting and I haven't said this a long time Neighbors news this morning. Do you remember that Neighbors is still on the air.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think as a country, well collectively forgot about the time where we had that last the last Neighbors episode forever.
Speaker 1: It's just a slightly awkward thing in Australian TV history that we all are just pretending never happened. Happened because it finished up on Channel ten after decades on air, and it was a really emotional thing. I remember the build up to it was so intense. Channel seven cent me a Ramsey Street sign. I remember you getting that. I know I really liked it. Someone threw it out in the office they said it was clutter, and I'm like, how dare you? It was a piece of history. And then we watched the finale, and it was really moving. We had all these really famous people who had been on Neighbors and started their careers coming back to with Kylie Mino, Guy Peers, the performance of a lifetime. I'm just gonna say, we had all these different people. No, he took it really seriously. I know.
Speaker 2: I'm just never been a Neighbors fan, so I actually hat.
Speaker 1: I mean, I wasn't alive when that stage was on. I'm young too, but I'm just saying I knew it was a big part of history.
Speaker 2: My favorite thing to do when I watched the quote unquote last episode was try to guess who were like the returning characters.
Speaker 1: It was just by the way they entered rooms. Yeah, No, I got to be tiary watching it. And then you had all the call ins like Margo, Robbie called in, Nalie and bruli Are Holly Valance that was a big deal. Don't see that billionaire lady anymore. And it came to an end, everyone was like slow clat Neighbors, well done. And then everyone loved it so much and it got such big ratings that it came back with late actors and we were like, oh, okay, bye, see you again, so it's been chugging along. We should say that it has recently been nominated for an Emmy Award for the first time in the Daytime Emmy nomination Outstanding Drama Series. I think now because of the different network it's on, it's now eligible. But that's the big thing for it to be getting a Emmy nomination, which is probably why it has drawn another big guest star, and that is Krishelle from Selling Sunset. But also she has done some soap opera acting before, so you know this is not her first radio on All My Children and Days of Our Lives and she'll be joining Neighbors as a guest star. And here's how they describe her character. Have you read this or I have not.
Speaker 2: I need to know.
Speaker 1: So her name is Yasmin Shields.
Speaker 2: Okay cool?
Speaker 1: Yeahs, yes, Shields, yes.
Speaker 2: For sure, Yes, like my conscioceptor pill.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I wonder if she knows that. When I first saw it written down, I'm like, it is her name, Like yeah, you say that, Like they're really taking this too far, but I think it's Yes. She's a glamorous and successful business woman. I think she'll be able to play that very well. Not much of a stretch. Who is in town for an exciting new opportunity. That's all we know about her. We don't know she's going to be a villain a love interest. She said she was very happy to be in the show and it's got people talking about Neighbors again. This hasn't happened since Misha Button. For Misha Button, she pops into different franchises to kind of give them a little boost when needed. Was on Neighbors, but since then they haven't had a lot of stunt casting.
Speaker 2: I wonder what the opportunity could be that Ramsey Street offers her that no one else has.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess now like she and g Flipp are together and people are obsessed with them, and people love Kroshell after selling sunsets so and they come to Australia are a lot, so I guess there's like a really good tie. The opportunity is chief well as if you wouldn't come to Australia to be close. They're very cute together and also Neighbors has a big international following as well. I mean, not enough to save it from getting canceled the first time around, but it's a pretty iconic role.
Speaker 2: For everyone knows neighbors.
Speaker 1: Do you know how Krishell got her name? I don't. I love to know this. I feel like this is the most important fact. Is everything else.
Speaker 2: I feel like it might be somewhere tucked in the back of my head. And I'm pretty sure you're the person who told me so.
Speaker 1: Her real name is Tarina Krishelle Stous, but she goes by Krischelle, of course, because that is a really exciting name when you're trying to make it in the big smoke of LA. Is that the whole story? I don't know. I'm saying. Chrischelle is her middle name. It but her mother was at a Shell service station when she was heavily pregnant with her and she went into labor at the Shell service station, and that's where Chrischelle was born. And a man named Chris I think he worked at the Shell service station or he was a patron. Either way, Chris was on hand and delivered her. And so Chris and Shelle have been mushed together from the Shell service station where she was born to Chris, the unfortunate young man who was just on hand to pull her into the world. And that is her middle name. Krischelle and now she goes by that.
Speaker 2: God, this story, this is insane, but really that's insane. And I love how this man Chris is forever tied to Shell Yeah Station.
Speaker 1: I think she should be the face of Shell service station. She shure she would make bank on that, and she's very happily tells that story. And she was like, yeah, it's my middle name, but I go buy it as my first name. I've made it my you know, into my home tire brand.
Speaker 2: Sure she's reading some benefits from Shell Service Station.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I think they're probably not involved in that, but you don't get in touch. And if Chris is out there, good job man, delivering a baby. And then she turned out to be famous. That's a good day. Well.
Speaker 2: Coming up next, another woman in Hollywood who's also kind of getting a big break with a big show. We are talking about Kim Kardashian's Actor on Actor Interview with varietya Nana So.
Speaker 1: Variety's Actors on Actors Lineup has been released for this year. This is the twentieth season that this interview series has been running.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, I didn't realize it was going for that long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. It's become a huge deal too, because what it does is it takes people who are going to be the front runners inwards season, or they're attached to big, buzzy projects that are releasing around this time, and it pairs people who Sometimes there have been co stars that have worked together for a little long time and they have this really intense friendship and they just sit down just the two of them and have a very intense conversation about acting in their careers and the business. Or sometimes they just pair different people who have nothing in common but both in the industry, and then you end up having these really interesting conversations between two actors who would normally never sit in a room together. So I'm a bit of a nerd, and I'm always really excited to see the lineup and get excited about which sessions I'm going to watch. And so the lineup has been released for this year and there's a lot of interesting ones. One I thought was quite interesting was Lea Woddell, who is in White Lotus but has also recently started One Day. And Nicholas Gallotzin from well they say here Mary and George, but everyone obviously knows him mostly from Red White and Rayal Blue and the Idea of You. Yeah, And when I was looking at Lea Whdell and Nicholas Scaletzine in their photo to promote it, I was like, this is the first time I've realized this. But they are the same person.
Speaker 2: They're both.
Speaker 1: So true.
Speaker 2: That's true, and they both play very like boy toy rods.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they do. I think they're going to talk about that, which I'm excited about. Also, quinter Bronson, who absolutely love Love from Abbot Elementary, is teaming up with Jennifer Aniston and from The Morning Show obviously other stuff. That's what she's there, A really good dynamic together.
Speaker 2: Amazing and I know Quintera Brunton will be so excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd love that for her, like little fangirl moment. Also bre Larson and Andrew Scott teaming up. Love that one that I think, Yeah, that's one of those kind of different conversations where they have both been in the industry for a really long time together. No, so that'll be super interesting. And we just love Andrew Scott. He hates you for calling him hot priest. He's in the new show Ripley, which is a remake of the talented mister Ripley.
Speaker 2: Do you are a hot press with it?
Speaker 1: You'll be okay.
Speaker 2: But then there was one.
Speaker 1: Pair on there that people are very, very angry about, and that is the fact that Academy Award nominee, critically acclaimed actress, fashion icon Chloe Sevini obsessed, ultimate cool girl, ultimate girl forever and always and one of my favorite actresses. When I discovered her in my late teens, I think I just binged every movie she'd ever made, and I continue to just like be across because she was in Like Kids. That was her first big breakout role and that is still kind of a life changing movie. And then Boys Don't Cry, that was what she got nominated for for an oscar. And then she's also in that TV show Big Love. Did you ever watch that?
Speaker 2: I didn't watch it, but I've seen a lot.
Speaker 1: Of You've watched the whole show on clip and she's incredible on that. That went for many seasons. And she was also in American's Horror Story, and at the moment, she's in another Ryan Murphy series, Few Kapodi Versus the Swans that we've talked about, and she's excellent in that. And so she has been paired with Kim Kardashian. I am very upset about that. Oh you're one of those people, even.
Speaker 2: One of those people. I know I'm gonna get hate for saying this, but I always saw the variety actor on actor with actors who have been in the industry for a really long time, or haven't been in the industry for a long time, but have had a real long background of acting and have really well versed and educated in their career journey and in the industry in general. And I don't know how to say this without sounding so mean.
Speaker 1: This is a safe space. We know you know what I mean. Mean, just say you say what you need to say.
Speaker 2: The first thing that popped into my head when I saw that Kim Kardashian was going to do Actor on Actors, I was like, Oh, it's cheapening the show.
Speaker 1: Look that's fair. I think that is fair.
Speaker 2: I know that she has been like in acting roles, but I think this has opened a doorway for people who are influencers who want to try acting, to be on the show, Like I just want to see my A listers, Like this is the only show that I don't want to see modernized.
Speaker 1: Look I understand that, and on paper, it seems almost fair. They're there. Obviously, she doesn't have the extensive list of hits that Chloe seven Ye has, who's been in the industry for decades. But they're both there as the two leads of Ryan Murphy's shows. So obviously Chloe's on Feud and Kim Kardashian was pretty much the co lead with Emma Roberts on the recent season of American Horror Story Delicate, so they're there for that. A lot of people also like Chloe must be so upset, she'd be fuming, and to that, I'd say, like, she would have to agree to this before going into it, So it's not like she walked into the room beforehand and was like, oh, Kim Kardashian's here, like she would have agreed to it. So because she has to do her research well exactly, and they have to prep it's been pre filmed, so it's not like she came out today and she's surprised.
Speaker 2: I'm very interested to hear the kind of questions Kim is gonna ask Chloe.
Speaker 1: Isn't that the thing? Though, as much as I was like.
Speaker 2: I know, I want to be proved wrong, Like I do want to genuinely be proved wrong.
Speaker 1: You saying that it's the one you're most interested to watch, and for me now it kind of is not just because I'm a massive Chloe seven year fan, but it's the one now that has this kind of interesting risk factor of what's going to happen, And now it's the one I want to watch the most too, which is exactly what this series is about. It's getting eyeballs on this series and getting people to talk about it, and so in that, like Kim Kardashian gets used for that a lot. You know, She's brought into things so that people will talk about them, but that is what she's built her brand off.
Speaker 2: And so I think Chloe has a really hard job.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I mean she's been in entertainment for decades, but at the same time, this is the first time she's had a lead acting role. And it's interesting because when it was first announced that she was going to be on American Horror Story, I was furious. I was like you were this morning because I love that show so much and I loved Chloe on it, and I was sad that she wasn't going to be in this season, and I was just like, it's going to be so distracting, because that's such a world building show, you know, with like the kind of horror and magical sci fi, all those things elements. They always have this incredible cars like that cast of American Horror Story is usually stacked with like Oscar winners, amy when as critically acclaimed stage performers, like, it's not just like a throwaway thing. It's a really good cast. And I thought Kim being in there was going to be just distracting and gimmicky. Like Ryan Murphy is good at casting for gimmicks, but it's usually just like a smaller part or a one episode. In that case, I think it really works. But she had a big part to play in every episode, and as I watched her, I was like, oh, my god, what's wrong with me? She's actually fine. Yeah, she was fine until she had a scene opposite Leslie Grossman, who is an incredible actress who is on American Horror Story a lot, and they had a scene together and I was like, Oh, she's just not good because Leslie Grossman, in like a few lines just blew her out of the water. And the reason it was so obvious is that if Kim hadn't played the part of Shivn, this like high profile publicist with all these biting kind of comebacks, it would have been Leslie because that's often the role she takes on in this franchise. So seeing them together, I'm just like, oh, once you see her against a strong actress like that, you can see how green she is and just how it's not her thing. But I mean she did Okay.
Speaker 2: I think it's really interesting that you said that because I remember the same kind of commentary happened around when Ryan Murphy casted Lady Gaga. Yeah, an American heart not to this level, definitely, but I think Lady Gaga just proved everyone wrong because she ended up being brilliant.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think with these roles that you can't just be fine, you have to be really good.
Speaker 1: But I think that, yeah, it's hard to bet, like she is there as an actress because she was the leader of a TV show and she has now started like producing movies and getting scripts made movies that she is going to star and like she is going to be an actress. That's her next big thing that's happening.
Speaker 2: Well, I did say, I'm happy to be proven wrong, and I hope she does because we're going to be seeing.
Speaker 1: More of her good. One other little bit of information just as we finish off that I think people have missed, is that John Hamm has also been announced as part of the variety Actors on Actors and hear and Kim Kardashian have a long standing feud over the fact that he thinks she's stupid, and I think out of everyone, he's probably the most angry because back in twenty twelve, he gave an interview to l and he said, whether it's Paris Hilton or Kim Kadashian, whoever, stupidity is certainly celebrated, and then he said Kim's name again. He said, being a fucking idiot is a valuable commodity in this culture because you're rewarded significantly, and him really not nice the statement saying calling someone who runs their own businesses is part of a successful TV show, produces rights, designs, and creates stupid in my opinion, is careless. Then she knows. I respect John ham and I'm a firm believer that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that no one takes the same path in life. We're all working hard and we all have to respect one another. Really fast forward many years later, and now they're both the headliners of this It's crazy that he just did that unprovoked. I wonder if there's like a variety shoot and I have just stand next to each other and he's like, hey, I called you domb. But now we're both being celebrated as like the biggest actors of the moment. He's still a wife, but maybe not. After this announcement. We'll link the four list of actors on actors in our show notes so you can have a look.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for listening to the Spill today. If you love listening to the Spill, we would love it if you could give us a five star rating or review on whichever podcast app you listen to us on. We will be back here in your podcast feed at three pm tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Bye bye.