Speaker 1: You're listening too. A Mother MEA podcast, Mother Mea acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waders. This podcast was recorded on It's about eleven PM in the winter of nineteen eighty four in a suburban street in Melbourne, and Rosalind Bomford wakes with a start. She can hear what sounds like a muffled scream coming from the neighbor's house. She waits listening. Her dog growls, but then there's silence. Surely she was mistaken. Across the street, another neighbor hears a sound. Closer to midnight. The Tap family dog is howling. They've never heard the little dog so frantic. The spaniel belongs to shawna Tap. She's only nine. She lives in the ordinary, single story home with her fourteen year old brother Justin, and their mother, Margaret, a local nurse, a single mum and a part time law student. Pretty soon the night is quiet again. But what is discovered the following day in the fern Tree Gully home is so horrible. The season detective who discovers it can't help but weep when he goes home that evening. A crime so harrowing it should be among Australia's most infamous, but instead, all these years later, it's obvious this case has fallen through the cracks. I'm Jemma Bath and this is True Crime Conversations Amoma mea podcast exploring the world's most notorious crimes by speaking to the people who know the most about them. A warning. What happened to Shauna and Margaret tap on a Tuesday night in August four decades ago is hard to hear a crime so harrowing it should be one that's etched into our bones. The killer surely strangled Margaret first. It's inconceivable she would not have fought to save her little girl. Shauna died the same way, except she was raped first. Both the mother and daughter were found still in their nightgowns in their beds. Their names Arena's familiar as some of the most famous crimes of our generation, and yet this happened in a regular Aussie home, to a loving family at the foothills of the Dandenong Rangers. To help us understand the crime, the coverage, and the police investigation that went cold, we're joined by journalist, podcaster and author of Life and Crimes Andrew Ruhl, who covered the story when it first broke in the nineteen eighties. In more recent stories covering the case, Andrew is adamant reporters and police sometimes get it wrong, including him. Andrew joins us. Now, Andrew, I want to start with, do you remember the night or the day that the Margaret and shawna Tap murders came through.
Speaker 2: This is the interesting thing. It was a relatively minor I wasn't a minor murder. It was a double murder of a mother and daughter. But it didn't achieve the splash that it might have had circumstances been slightly different. Looking back on it, I was amazed years later to look back and see that it only generated something like five news stories in newspapers. Five only do you mean.
Speaker 1: In that initial kind of breaking news stay.
Speaker 2: In that first year or whatever, you know when it happened, right, Yeah, it wasn't massive news for days and weeks because there were no developments. And also in those cases, usually the police will wheel out the grieving relatives who make appeals and there's you know, heartbroken people pictures. The family of Margaret Tap, for better or worse, were obviously greed stricken, heartbroken. They are also shocked, and they are also religious people, very respectable, and they were sort of scandalized. Apart from all the rest of the stuff, they were scandalized about her lifestyle, which she'd had a lot of different blogs to visit her and so on, and so they didn't really want to drag it all through the media, and so they did no media and it died to death. And that story, I'm ashamed to say that the media of which I was a part really didn't get teeth into it for years. And the biggest story ever written was on the twentieth anniversary of the murders. I went back to it and said, I'm going to do this properly now, and I did it twenty years later.
Speaker 1: For those that haven't heard the story, because as you've said, it's not a really well known case, let's talk about some of the details. Firstly, Fern Tree Gully, I mean, I've never heard of it. What's that area of Melbourne, like.
Speaker 2: Outer of eastern suburbs, probably now a bit like then working class and up a fair way out out of east. This is towards the dandiong Rangers.
Speaker 1: Family suburbia kind of.
Speaker 2: Oh, definitely family out of suburbia. You know, it's well out. It's thirty odd case from the central city. They were in Calvin Drive, which is just off Ferntree Gully Road, a major busy road, and you could hear that traffic from their house. Their house is number thirteen, so it was only six houses off the big road. It was a rented house which she'd taken possession of through an affair she had with the doctor who bought it for her, which is relevant because his widow, the doctor's widow, was one of the suspects for the murder wrongly in my view, a ridiculous suspect, but the police were pretty keen on her for a while and thought she'd had Margaret knocked off by a murdering pedophile, which would strike me as a fairly long shot that a doctor's widow would employ a hipman who was also an active pedophile who was sexually assault the child. Shawna Well kind of.
Speaker 1: Gives you an idea of what the police were working with, which is not a lot.
Speaker 2: Not a lot, and the police don't always get it right. In the eighties in Melbourne homicide Squad had patchy results, and in the seventies with several murders that didn't get investigated properly in my view, for various reasons. One is they were busy doing other things, and of course in those days they didn't have all the things that we have now to find people. These days, you go out and say, where's the cameras on them highway, where's the cameras at the seven to eleven, where's the cameras next door? Where's the credit card stuff? And all that registration plate recognition. None of that existed. So if somebody got away with murder in nine to eighty four or before, if they shut up about it, they had a big chance of getting away with it for good.
Speaker 1: From your recollection, what happened to Margaret and shaunatap late on the.
Speaker 2: Night of August seventh, So the Los Angeles Olympics are on at this stage, someone a male person obviously, has entered the house without forcing anything. This would suggest there was somebody that might have had some knowledge of the place, or that they knew possibly, but those who knew them well knew that the back door didn't lock properly. It was faulty, and you could walk in the back door quite easily, and that would have been known to a few people. Next day, the little girl next door usually walked to school with Shauna, and Shawna was nine years old. She looked up no sign, as Shauna, the blinds are still drawn, the newspaper is still on the porch. The newspapers delivered, it hadn't been picked up, and she wondered, what's happening. So she walked to school by herself. Later that afternoon, a man who knew Margaret, a nice fellow carpenter, armless guy. He came around to see her to see if she wanted to go to the opera with him, and knock, knock, knock, no sign. Her brother in law is another one who turned up and saw the paper, saw the lockdoor, no sign. One of those two guys, Jim, the carpenter, the friend of the opera guy. He goes in the back door and finds the crime scene. He finds both of them in beds with the covers pulled up to their necks as if it's done by somebody covering up the crime, the psychology of it, and both of them had been strangled with something. In the case of Shawna, the nine year old girl, there was seamen found on her night dress, which would suggest a sort of a sexual motive. So this wasn't a burglary gone wrong. This wasn't a hit on Margaret performed by a hitman. This was a weird sexual murder. Perhaps somebody has known to them that had done something bad with Shauna, and then Margaret realized or yelled, or you know, the little girl yelled, and maybe then the perpetrator killed both the cover up. This is what it looks like to me.
Speaker 1: I know you've spoken to one of the detectives that found that scene and he was pretty shaken up by it, wasn't he.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's detectives, many of them are married with kids. It does shake them up when they see dead kids. That really wears them. The problem with this whole case, and there's no use sugar coating it, is that from the start the police wasn't a case of not having suspects. They had too many, and all about equal height. So okay, let's look at Margaret. Who's she know, her ex husband that she divorced five years earlier. Get him in. He'll be good. Well he's not, he's harmless, alibi, not a problem. Then the Margaret's sister's boyfriend, he was sort of brother in law. He'd come around there. They'd have to clear him. Then the alleg's boyfriend, the guy that came around to take her to the opera, But he was a harmless guy and nice guy. These three they clear rapidly. Then there's Margaret's brother, who's a strange cat. Lindsey. I talked to him quite a lot, and he worked at the local council with a lot of rough guys, truck drivers and sort of rough blugs. Some of them might had a bit of form for crimes. One of them drove a really hot Falcon newt red with mags. Such a vehicle was seen in that street at some point that week. Some of those guys had helped move furniture into the house as a favor to the brother, so you had that. Then Margaret, she was a nurse at a local hospital in the Hills. She was very friendly with a lot of different doctors. She'd had affairs with seven of them, including a leading an ethetist.
Speaker 1: There were all of those, so seven more suspects.
Speaker 2: Well potentially. And then she was a nurse, but she was doing law at Monash University because she wanted to become a medico legal. She was bright, she was smart. She clearly had an enormously warm and engaging personality because men just fell for her one after the other. She was clearly an intriguing person with a force field of charisma. You know, she'd met a guy at UNI that used to come over and see her. And then she was having truck driving lessons from a bloke who had a truck, who was giving a lessons driving the truck. And so there's you know, ten eleven, twelve suspects right there, let alone anyone those guys knew what about that guy's friend, what about that guy's brother. And in the end it sort of collapsed under the way to all these potential suspects that I don't believe were cleared properly back then and only half heartedly cleared later because Margaret's brother, Lindsay, assured me that he hadn't been cleared by DNA samples until twenty years later, a big gap he himself. Now he had to be regarded as a suspect.
Speaker 1: Because they had DNA from the scene, They had DNA from this, they had semen, they had fingerprints.
Speaker 2: They did not have finger or footprints. They had a footprint. The one clue no one's ever been able to explain it who it is, if it's innocent, was the footprint of a Volley sanchu. Now you may not remember them, but when I was young, everybody had Volly sancho's that are Rippley sold.
Speaker 1: Now they're back again, they're back, pleased to know.
Speaker 2: And you know everyone more than then. They wore them with jeans. And it was a thing, and it was a certain size, and it had left a mark on a clean floor because it had been recently used on it. Probably they think on an onto car tennis court, you know, the red dust tennis courts. And I were never able to work out whose it was, and it would strike you as a very intriguing clue. I have to say. Among the other clues we haven't been through. Down the road was a kid that all the neighbors said, this kid's win, he's a teenager, right them down on his bike and make filthy comments to women working in the garden. I went and found this guy as an adult, very strange cat, but he knew exactly where the grave was. Explained to me how to go to their graves to Margaret, and he said, yeah, you're going there, and then you walk about fifty minutes in your turn left at a black grave and it's a shiny one. He knew it precisely. Just down the road, I think next to his house was a house full of pretty rough people. One of them had some form for badness and madness. His sister lived at a caravan out the back of the house. That guy did jail for rape on a separate case. So our pool of potential suspects is what thirteen and fourteen and fifteen, But.
Speaker 1: That shouldn't matter, doesn't a police investigation.
Speaker 2: It's interrogated that I found those guys. I found those brothers from that house. They were all rough heads. Obviously they can't all be guilty or none of them are guilty, right, And I spoke to them. They said, yeah, the couples should have come and say ah's he said, I was working night shift. I was a perfect candidate. Why didn't they come and talk to me and clear mate? Why didn't they clear my brother? Yeah? They reckoned. The police just didn't do their job properly, so it fell through cracks. Another potential thing is, you know, Shauna was a Brownie, the junior girl gods. We now know looking back on it, that girl gods, brownies, cubs, scouts were full of pedophiles, which, looking back, with the wisdom and mindsight, you think that would have to be an interesting connection. Having gone through all these things, I wrote a big story about it twenty years later and since then. Some years ago now I was approached by a young man said he was a friend of the estranged children of a local doctor from up there. This doctor was a GP who lived in the dandinongs, so Danny Loong Rangers. I've got pleased hills with trees and birds and flowers and pedophile doctors. This doctor was popular, He was well known. He was well liked by some people, not by others. He had three kids of his own. Turned out he was a sexual deviate of the darkest dye. Turns out that he molested a lot of kids, including his own, and including patients. So this is an interesting figure because he was very well known up there as a GP. He would go regularly to that hospital where Margaret worked. He wasn't one of the hospital doctors, but he would go there to treat you know, somebody's granny or whatever it might be.
Speaker 1: So it's another potential call totally.
Speaker 2: And he was a sexual predator, and he was a good looking athletic tennis playing fellaw.
Speaker 1: Right, and he's never been investigated for this crime.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a good question. When I was told about this fellow only a few years ago. Now they nailed one pedophile incident to him, obviously it'll be one of many. But and he got struck off as a doctor. His wife left him, his kids hated him, and he moved up to a riverside town on the Murray River where a lot of people go to retire and play golf. That's where he's gone. And not long ago, a couple of years ago, I went up there and sat off his house and watching Walky's little dog down the street. And everybody locally knows who he is in the background, and they all watch him, all the parents. If he ever steps out of line, he'll end up in the Murray. That guy is intriguing because he played tennis with a group of other men, one of whom I know. One of them was the father of a girl that was molested by this doctor, and he used to play at a little tennis caught up there Fernie Creek and it had an onto car court, you know, the red dust stuff. I'm told that his feet were about the right size for the shoes. Now, whether that's just a lot of coincidences, I don't know. It may well be, but he's a doctor that should easily have known Margaret. He played tennis e will volley sanshoes. He was a sexual predator. He was a sexual predator with a lot to lose and later lost it. He was a big, strong, sort of athletic guy, be quite capable of strangling mother and daughter there. He is living in a country town in New South Wales on the just on that side of the river.
Speaker 1: You're listening to true crime conversations with me, Jimmy Bath. I'm speaking with Andrew Ruhle about the murder of Shawna and Margaret. Tap up next, we discover why this unsolved case didn't get the coverage it deserved. It's interesting because hearing that obviously there's a lot of alarm bells there, but then there's another really credible suspect that you write about a lot, which was Margaret's dad's friend, the ex policeman who we haven't even.
Speaker 2: I haven't because there's number what don't we can talk about him? He died. I went knocked on his door twenty years ago to find he was on a cruise somewhere. He was an amateur door but he used to paint. He painted a picture after Margaret and Shawna were murdered of Shauna beside a campfire, and it ended up with uncle Lindsey, with Shauna's uncle. He sent me a photograph of it, and I was very intrigued by they saying Cook he was a bit of a predatory guy. That doesn't make him a killer and a pedophile. I have to say he was an old copper that he'd known the family for years. They were sort of friends. I reckon he was in the Masonic lodge with Margaret's father. I reckon there's a bit of a bond there, which might be one of the reasons the case didn't get publicized much. The police force in those days. There are a lot of that Masons versus Catholics very big in the police force until recent times, and those sort of things would apply that if they said, oh, he's a brother and he does on this publicized it's embarrassing. That might well happen. So that fellow Anne Cook. He'd known Margaret when she was a young runaway. She'd run away from home at sixteen, and he'd gone to Saint Kildraa somewhere and picked her up and brought her home. But he used to visit and she used to complain to her sister, so that bloody and Cook's coming around here. Da da da da da. And he was allowed back into the crime scene. He said to retrieve a book or books or letters or something, and the coppers let him in because he was either still a serving copper or just out of the job. Now that puts him at the crime scene. That means he can get his fingerprints there legitimately, which covers him if his prince are found back. I think so, But very hard to get the sense out of the police later, because I think there were a lot of gaps. They had different waves of DNA test over twenty years, and they didn't clear everybody in the first instance. When DNA came in, they cleared you know, a short listen, and they cleared a few more, and then a few more. And if if these guys were too far away or too hard to find, I think they slipped through the net for a long time.
Speaker 1: Would you give people a little bit of an idea of the developments that did happen. They did actually charge someone with the murders in two thousand and eight. Tell us about that.
Speaker 2: Well, there's front page news.
Speaker 1: Finally makes sense.
Speaker 2: It was leaked by a friendly homicide squad detective to a colleague of mine. You know, big breakthrough. We've got him. He's a boats in jail at Sale, which is a regional city in Victoria. We've had a match with DNA. It's him and front page news. Great crime solved. And then there's a photograph of Margaret's poor ole father holding a photograph of Margaret and a little girl and wrong. Within days, turns out that he's been a balls up in the laboratory. They'd spatted DNA around the room and had fallen on the microscope and it wasn't him at all. He gave no comment interview, which made the place pretty keen on him. But when his lawyer pointed out that his client was in Darwin at the time, provably or somewhere, it all fell apart and they realized it was a screw up at the lab not the only screw up. They've had the lab either, it has happened before.
Speaker 1: It just feels like with this police investigation, there was holes, but then there was these big bungles that happened.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, tell me a better. Homicide squads are interesting. They're regarded as an elite squad, but they're regarded as sort of corruption free because there'sn't a lot of opportunity. Really, those would be good detectives doing their best, and most of them are or were. But you have to realize that homicide scott is mostly a case of turning up at an address where somebody's rung in and said two dead on the floor, and they go in and there's you know, mumster skilled dab with a breadknife and says, I'm sorry, I couldn't take it anymore. Take me to jail. You know, it's that easy. Most homicides, eight out of ten of them, are like that. Their clean up rates are artificially inflated by those walk up starts. It's not like catching arm robbers who run away from you and are good crooks. You're catching basically mostly people that have been involved in a once in a lifetime domestic incident where a murders b and then says, you got me GV.
Speaker 1: Can we compare it, because when you look at this story on its own, it feels kind of mind blowing, all of the mistakes. Let's compare it to one of the stories that you cover in your latest book, which is the Easy Street Street which most people will know about.
Speaker 2: Easy Street correctly has become one of the most celebrated unsolved cases in Australia. I guess there's others that compare in scope. It's two young women with a little child in the house who wasn't hurt. The two suits. One was Suzanne, one was Susan, our friends. They were living together in a rented housing Easy Street, Collingwood in Melbourne in a suburbs nineteen seventy seven, very hot summer. They're found by a neighbor who'd found their dog wandering around and went through the back gate in the back door and walked down the hall and found a total scene of chaos and blood everywhere. Both of them stabbed to death multiple times. And in the middle bedroom. There were two bedrooms and a long, thin terrace house. So one is dead in the front room. Then there's a middle room with a little boy dehydrated, very thirsty, very sad eighteen month old baby Greg in his cot and then then the other young woman is dead in the other bedroom, stabbed in a frenzy by an unknown assailant. Similar problem. The police when they looked into it, they said, oh god, you know, says An Armstrong was going out with this sheer from Euroa and his brothers knows them, and then there's this one. They backtrack and find all these different people that had been the parties there whatever, and in the end the police couldn't sort of work out who was the best candidate, and they ended up with a least to go to and no pretty keen on a few of them. They were keen on Susan Armstrong's boyfriend, but ultimately they got nowhere. It was a very patchy investigation. Another generation of police were shocked when they pulled out the easy Street file. It was a Manila a little Manila folder with twenty four sheets of paper in it. I mean, school essays are longer than that, you know. It was just rubbish and they had bugger roll. They just didn't get anywhere. And again they had too many potential candidates. One guy climbed through a window after the murders gone in and left a note for them on a cigarette packet, you know, ring me on this number. The police track him down and said what's with you, and he said, well, I've been there before. I knew I had to open the window, but I didn't go that way towards the bedrooms. And he was one of two people that did that. The boyfriend, the sheerer guy, had also walked in the back door and called out no answer, so he didn't being a well mannered country boy, he did not walk up into the house. He just called that from the kitchen. So two different men that are known have been in that house after the murders.
Speaker 1: Do you think that particular case did get more attention from police in the end because it was getting more attention from us, from the public, from the media.
Speaker 2: Big media story. Easy Street. There's something about the name that just works. It's the Beaumont children an Easy Street have always been. They just caught the imagination, they caught the headlines, and people never forgot them. You know. The Margaret tap case actually is just as awful in every way, but never caught attention in the same way. And that's why I concentrated on it years later to sort of remedy that.
Speaker 1: And what do you put that down to?
Speaker 2: Well, is nowhere to go. See, the thing is about day to day reporting. You need a development of some sort, or you need somebody saying tomorrow we're going to have Margaret's sister, and next day we're going to have a grandma, and next day we're going to you know, we're going to have something. So everything just split it out. It was awful and I feel bad that that's what happened. But it wasn't a media conspiracy. It wasn't a police conspiracy. To some extent, it was the family. If the family had been really keen to pursue it, they would have fed the media. They weren't going to do that.
Speaker 1: I think it also comes down to what people want to read as well.
Speaker 2: It does. And you know what, there's not an appetite for child's sex stories. I have to say, they're so awful abhorrent that nobody approaches them the way we approach when a gangster gets shot, happy days, it's wonderful. As long as no one innocent gets hurt, we're all happy. No one thinks it's a great story to do something about a dead child that's been sexually assaulted, it's just too awful to contemplate.
Speaker 1: When you did pick up the story twenty years after the fact and started writing about it again, did you find that people were interested they wanted to hear more.
Speaker 2: Well, they really. If you write a story graphically enough and with some sort of style and timing and effect, that people will read it for sure. But it wasn't until I did it for Good Weekend magazine. It was the twentieth anniversary of Good Weekend Magazine and it was the twentieth anniversary of the Tap murder, so that was the perfect crime story to put in that mag and I did it as a big, long piece. It's probably five thousand words and read, examining a case that most people couldn't remember or had never heard of. No one in Sydney would have heard of it at all before that.
Speaker 1: I don't think many people in Australia might.
Speaker 2: Have heard of it. Oh true, But I'm just saying, yeah, I mean some Melbourne people. I mean I certainly remembered it happening, but I was a crime reporter, so naturally I should remember. But it's only become more notorious in the last twenty years, when we'd focused on it a bit.
Speaker 1: Do you think that that crime could ever be solved now that we are forty years down the track.
Speaker 2: It depends on whether they have usable DNA. I don't know if they have or not. And if they have, who knows. One day somebody somewhere might fall into the net.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you more generally, because you've written about a lot of crime in your career, what has it taught you about people looking into the worst of society.
Speaker 2: Nature and nurture both apply. But most of the most awful violent killers have been to a large extent, created by what happened to them as kids. And this is not to excuse anyone, but I've just realized in the last decade or so that I keep saying these patterns emerge. The family caught bomber up here. Leonard the mad fireman, killed people everywhere, shot them, he bombed them, he burnt places down, He did terrible things, very angry man. And when you go back and look at that story, you go now, Leonard was all right until his mom died when he was ten, and then he ends up in that notorious boy's home where kids were abused. And so this smiling little kid pictured in grade six, by the time he's fourteen, he's sullen and vengeful and weird. Were why because he went to that place and he will have been raped undoubtedly that place. Christoph Dale Flannery, the big time hit man, was disappeared in Sydney, murdered by gangster's prolific killer known as Renter Kill. Very violent man was sent to a boy's home in Victoria called Morning Star, run by the Franciscan monks. His cousin told me that he used to cry when he talked about what had happened to him at the boy's home. Now, this is true of so many of these guys that if you go back through it, you find out that they were exposed. I can do this for an hour. I can tell you examples of it, and I won't bore you with it. But trust me, so many of them, including that you know, the Russell Street bombs in Melbourne, the old guy Stan Taylor, who was the mentor to those young bucks. He had been put in a Salvation Army boy when he was nine for good reason. His own life would have been awful. His father was a brute. He'd been brutalized as a youngster, an intelligent youngster, brutalized and then always trying to get back at the world in some way, and it turns them into very, very violent, evil people. And I think that's something I've realized more and more and more that you see that pattern repeated often.
Speaker 1: What about the criminal justice system, because I think doing this podcast, obviously there are so many police officers out there doing the right thing, but then there are certain cases like the one we've been talking about today, where things haven't been done correctly, people have potentially fallen through gaps or there's corruption. What have you learned from that or do you feel a bit jaded?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Look, I think police forces have probably improved in many ways. I think they're more honest now, please, Because it used to be a step away from poverty for working class boys. If you're big and strong and were smart enough to get into the police source. You had to have a certain level of proficiency. It was a way to get away from swinging a pick or you know, working on the tramways. It became a very corrupt brotherhood for that reason that these were poor people on the make they were battling to pay off a house, battling to pay off a car, and the way they could do that on their relatively poor wages was to take money from sp bookies and from publicans and whatever else. And that's what made police force, particularly in New South Wales and Queensland but everywhere. That's what fostered that low hum of corruption that bloomed magnificently in Sydney. I have to say where it went right to the top. These days, police work I think is more of a middle class aspirational thing, and that you know, you may well know people that are police officers. I'm getting your parents may not have had a while guest, you know, back in the day, or your grandparents. I may not making gross assumptions, You're actually correct, you know.
Speaker 1: What I mean, grandparents and parents. I don't think I know a police officer, but I know several. Yeah, it's a very esteemed profession.
Speaker 2: It's changed and those people, the sort of modern, well fed, clean cut kids. They don't tend to be corrupt. They're not looking to steal twenty bucks for a start. They don't feel poor. They might not be wealthy, but they don't come from grinding poverty the way a lot of people did. You know, people who were joining up in the fifties, they remembered the depression, they remembered what it was like to be hungry, and that made them pretty mean.
Speaker 1: But I guess with so many crimes happening today, we don't have all of the resources to go back and undo all of the potentially bad police.
Speaker 2: Work of the past dead right. And I can recall this. I worked in this a tail end of that era. Place. You know, the hard drinkers. What you did if you wanted to get stories, You went to the pub and you put them drink for drink and sometimes I'd tell you something and write it down on a beer coaster, put it in your pocket.
Speaker 1: So you have, I guess a lot of hope seeing the police work of today.
Speaker 2: Look, it's technologically advanced. I mean, you know, it's like flying aeroplanes. These days, there's a computer, this it for you, and then the olden days you had to look at the sky and working out for yourself. It's that different.
Speaker 1: Well, as you said, it's harder to get away with crime nowadays.
Speaker 2: I think that in a modern Western world, you know a place like Australia, Canada, US, whatever, those sort of countries that a serious crime like murder is almost impossible to get away with telephones, credit cards, FPOs, cars, registration, all that stuff. You're traceable, and as soon as they suspect that you're a potential candidate, they can backtrack and work out where you were and when you were there. And then suddenly they go, oh, well she was here when so and say was killed twenty five feet away.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's good news right now. It does make me sad for the Margaret's and the Shawnas of the world.
Speaker 2: It's a terrible story, both of them, but poor little Shauna.
Speaker 1: It's actually a really sad story about what happened after the murders because there was another child involved.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're right. The last major story I did about this, I went to England on other business and I went to a regional town out of London called high Wickham to find Sureness brother I'd arranged to go and see. Well, by the time I got there, he was dead. But you know, in the intervening weeks when I decided to do this, he had essentially drunk himself to death and perhaps even suicided justin Tap was older than short, so I think he was thoughteen when the death happened. He had an English passport, I think his dad might have in English, and he used that to get back to England and work there. And I went and found the woman that he'd been living with at one point. She was very nice and she picked me up from the station and we out of long talk and she told me about his sad life. She said he came in and he played cricket and the local team and everybody liked him, but he just couldn't get away from the nightmares and the demons. And he always blamed himself because he had he been home that night, which he wasn't. He was staying with his grandparents, it wouldn't have happened. He thought that he would have saved them. And so the next, you know, thirty years, he blamed himself and eventually it killed him. He basically drank himself to death. He might have suicided. They couldn't tell when they found his body. It was so badly they're composed that they couldn't really tell.
Speaker 1: So when we talk about the Tap murders, we talk about Shawanna and Margaret, but really we should include Justin.
Speaker 2: And oh yeah, there's that, and then the father of the two children. I mean that poor man, innocent, nice, harmless man whose life has just been wrecked. But it's possible that there's some DNA sitting somewhere and one day they'll nailor it's conceivable.
Speaker 1: Thanks to Andrew Rule for assisting us to tell this story. True Crime Conversations is a Muma Meer podcast hosted and produced by me Jemma Bath. Our executive producer is Lift Proud. Thanks so much for listening. I'll be back next week with another True Crime Conversation