Speaker 1: You're listening to a Mother Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. We pay our respects to elders past, present and emerging, and feel privileged to continue the sharing of birth stories and knowledge that has been a fundamental part of Indigenous culture.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Cassania Lukic and this is diary of her birth. We all know that having a support system is vital in pregnancy in birth, but sometimes life gets in the way and we're faced with more stressful scenarios than we would like. So what do you do when you're thrilled to be pregnant but your relationship is collapsing. Today's mum had a fairly conventional labor, but within weeks of giving birth, found herself in the midst of a breakup and thrust into single motherhood. She first hit our screens It's a teenager or Australia's Next time Model, and her career has seen her model for the likes of Playboy and Guests with a wicked sense of humor. This fireball has been making me laugh for years. But today's story is about resilience. So let's meet Today's mum.
Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Simone Holtznegel and this is the diary of my birth with baby Ga.
Speaker 2: Simone, tell me about your life before you felt pregnant with Gia.
Speaker 1: I had been modeling for fifteen years. I had lived overseas, was modeling in la and all around Europe for quite a while. I was on the cover of Playboy. I word like eight guest campaigns, did lots of really cool things. I've done a few TV spots here and there, and then yeah, I came back to Sydney right before COVID happened, and I just kind of stayed. I love being in Sydney. Sydney is the best place in the world. And then I was with my now ex partner at the end of twenty twenty one, twenty twenty two, those years of COVID, who knows the lost years, and then we fell pregnant in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: And that wasn't necessarily planned.
Speaker 1: At the time, it wasn't not planned. We had spoken about always wanting to have kids and start a family, and we were like next year, twenty twenty three, and then yeah, it happened. Like we were very lucky that it just kind of happened very quick, so it wasn't completely unplanned at least I didn't think. So.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you have mentioned that ex partner, the relationship was good, and then our relationship.
Speaker 1: Was really good, and then when I got pregnant, I think there was a lot of freaking out, as some men tend to go through.
Speaker 2: So I'm told, so you were pregnant, excited, very excited. Your sister has a bub your sister's got two kids.
Speaker 1: Three So my older sister was pregnant the same time, and I was. Our babies are seven weeks apart.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. Yeah, tell me about the pregnancy itself. How did you feel?
Speaker 1: It was funny because I had been in the Maldives for my thirtieth birthday and literally the day I can't believe I did this. On our last night in the mal Dives, I had this cocktail that was called a cocoa melon. We all know what coco melon is, so it's like coconut watermelon whatever, and I posted a photo of it on my Instagram story and I was like, this is the only coco melon I'm interested at the moment. Next day found out I was pregnant.
Speaker 2: It's very fortuitous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, psychic, but yeah. We got home from the airport and I was like at baggage claim and I was like, oh gosh, I feel very sick. And my ex partner he was like, you always do this at this part of the trip. You just don't want to get you And I was like, no, I feel really sick. And all day I was like, feel really sick. Yeah, I just thought it was flying whatever. And then I did a pregnancy test and I was like, oh my god, really excited.
Speaker 2: Did you feel sick for your pregnancy.
Speaker 1: I was pretty lucky. I didn't really have any morning sickness, but I was quite nauseous that first twelve weeks, and just I'm already a tired person, so being pregnant, I was just completely wiped out. And then I actually remember I had really bad headaches for the first like two trimesters.
Speaker 2: I had that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then everyone was like, oh, it's probably a boy because it's like the testosterone hormones in your body or some weird doesn't really make sense anyway, it was a girl. Think, gosh, did you.
Speaker 2: Have any plans about how you wanted to give birth?
Speaker 1: I really wanted to be completely knocked out and then just wake and the baby was there. But twenty twenty four, you can't do that yet, which is insane to me. I don't know why that's not an option. All I knew was I'm such a baby. I don't even like getting needles. But I just knew that I wanted to be as pain free as possible. A really big caveat to that is me saying I hate needles, terrified of needles. And then the only way to get my pain free birth is to have the biggest needle put into my spine, which was the scariest. I think about it now, it gives you the haby bbs, yeah, a shudder.
Speaker 2: Okay, So tell me about the last few weeks before you gave birth. You were doing March end of March, GA is almost one.
Speaker 1: GA is almost one. Honestly, I've kind of blocked it out because it wasn't the most stress free pregnancy. I spent a lot of time by myself, which was nice, you know, rather than dealing with other unexpected things, I just rested. I just remember being so uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Tell me about going into labor.
Speaker 1: The day that I actually went into labor, I'd had a stretch and sweep the day before, and the day that I actually went into labor, I was not at my house because I did not want to be at my house, so obviously very high emotions, and I was with my mum and dad at my family friend's place, which I am very, very very lucky that I have somewhere to stay when I'm in Sydney. Anyway, we went down to the Kuji Path and I ate the most insane spicy pizza and I'm not like a spicy flavor person, and I had an apparol spirit because I was like, well, this baby's coming out within a day or so, so this might move the process along. And I'd actually been trying crazy old like wife's tales. I do remember that, like curb walking and stuff, because I was like, get out. And my sister, my older sister, has had two of her three babies on her exact JEW date. I thought that was normal. So when that didn't happen for me, I was like, when that's the worst part that last week, Like when you're approaching your JEW date because you just you don't really want to do anything because you could have a baby within hours. So yeah, I ate a really spicy pizza, I had an aperol sprits, and went for a very long walk on the beach with my mom. And then I was sitting at home texting my sister, my little sister Madeline, saying how funny would it be if my water broke while I was sat here? And then I stood up and then I was like, oh, I think my water just broke, which was the plan, because you know how they say when your water breaks, you have to go straight to hospital for you know, the infection risk. So I was really worried that I was going to go into labor and just be having contractions and my water wouldn't break by itself, because I was like, if that happens to me and I call the hospital and they say, I'll just stay at home, absolutely not, because I again I was worried the longer I'd stay at home that I'd missed that window of getting an epidural that worked out. I got to hospital. My mum drove me. She was driving really slow, too slow in fact for my liking. Didn't have the baby in the car though, but I had maybe two contractions in the space of an hour. We got in the car, and then it was on. I was still in the triage rooms of the birthing unit, and I was the person that you get warned about with your midwife when they're like, oh, some people vomit.
Speaker 2: That was me, You were vomiting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have the worst pain threshold. I could not stop throwing up. I waited about an hour, got an epidural. Scariest moment of my life. My partner was there, but I told him to get out of the room. They said, you can only have one person in the room while you're getting an epidural. I think it's just like in case people faint or something.
Speaker 2: So tell me about getting the epidural as someone who is terrified of needles.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. I asked him so many questions, and I was like, okay, how long have you been doing this? And I'd read heaps about it because obviously, as they say, knowledge as power, so I read all about it beforehand. And then at that point I was like timing my contractions because I was like, you have about four minutes or however long it was, and I was like, okay, go, if I close my eyes, I can literally go back to that moment, which makes me feel sick because I hate needles, and I was so scared, but I was just holding onto my mom. I'm not a religious person, my mom is, and I knew she would be doing this, so I was just I think I was saying, like, hail Mary's. Yeah, I've never been more still in my entire life. Is truly terrifying.
Speaker 2: Because what they do is they set you up. They set you up. You have to kind of bend over and hug. You hug a pillow.
Speaker 1: I had my arms around my mum.
Speaker 2: And you hug someone and do you hear this sound when they opened the packet?
Speaker 1: Is this take cace like I'm getting hot?
Speaker 2: And then they put that better Day and all over your back.
Speaker 1: And then in that time as well, I was okay stop. I was like, oh my god, because I started to have a contraction. And then I'm like, okay, go go go, go go coming up. She came and picked up the placenta, it was on ice, took it, cleaned it, did whatever, came back with a little protein shaker that had a three centimeter piece of my placenta in it, with coconut water, frozen banana, and frozen berries.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you have your epidural rule.
Speaker 1: I have my EPI dury, my ex partner orders McDonald's, and then my mum and John. I fell asleep on the floor. I had a bit of a sleep, but I was just so excited and so nervous that I'm like, okay, like, let's get this show on the road. I think I slept for a few hours, and then I touched up my makeup and watched RuPaul's Drag Race, and then I was like, let's go, everybody. I was almost fully dilated, and then at seven or six thirty in the morning, they came in. They're like, okay, you're fully dilated, but almost ready to start pushing. And then they were like, oh, we just have to wait because we're doing stuff. Changeover, and then they came in. By the time we started pushing, I think it was eight. Turns out it's not like the movies, and pushing is a lot harder than what you actually think it's going to be. Had I known that something I would do differently, I would go to a women's physio and learn how to push properly. Because I had no idea and I couldn't do it, and so I ended up pushing for about two hours, So yeah, it started about eight. Gea was born at ten sixteen on the thirty first. But yeah, I just couldn't do it, and I had my legs and stirrups and did you have an epigero I did you know when they're like you won't feel pain, but you can feel the contractions coming. I couldn't even really feel that.
Speaker 2: So did you not feel any pressure when she was coming out?
Speaker 1: I don't remember, Like, I don't think I did. So what happened was I just couldn't do that last part, you know when it's like turn they say, or like that last because obviously you're sitting down, legs up, stirrups. That last little like dip sounds like a ride, but it's not. I could not do that. And then they called in a bunch of doctors. John I was eating a croissant. It was Easter, and we had friends who worked at the hospital, so they dropped off bake goods anyway, so we kind of had a break and then a bunch of doctors came in. We could see the monitors. Ga was fine, her heart rate and everything was fine, and they said they were like, she's right there, Like we can see the top of her head. She's got lots of hair. And the doctors came in and they were like, okay, like we've got to decide what we're doing. We can either do vacuum or fourceps or episiotomy or both. And I was like, absolutely no episiotomy. Don't come near me, nightmare fuel. So I was like, can we just try and do fourceups? So they did, and the doctor who did it, she was amazing and literally she just grabbed onto a little noggin and gave her a little tug and then she was right there. So I didn't have any tearing, No apisiotom me, no nothing.
Speaker 2: She comes out does she goes straight onto your chest?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What was that moment meeting her for the first time.
Speaker 1: I just remember I was just like so happy. I just had like the biggest smile on my face, and I like I cried a little bit, but I was just more like, oh my God, like so excited. I mean to think back on it, it's really such a blur. Yeah, every photo I have my face Like, even thinking about it now, my mouth hurts from smiling.
Speaker 2: What was your recovery from the birth, Like totally fine.
Speaker 1: I had one internal stitch. Actually that's a lie. I mean I did have one internal stitch. I had a spinal injury. Can't believe I forgot this. I had a spinal injury from my epidural but it wasn't in my back, it was in my leg. I walk in to be able to have a baby come out and can't walk properly. So basically because I was in stirrups for so long, I had a neuropraxia of the femeral nerve, and that essentially means that my nerve had been like crushed or something, so I could not feel and I still kind of can't feel it like a patch on my leg that goes up around my knee. I'd have had injuries on this leg, like disslcating my knee a few times. That was the worst part for me recovery. I had obviously appointments in the hospital like lactation consultants and stuff, and I had GA in the basinette, and I was so scared to walk and like getting in and out of bed because I felt like I couldn't put my full weight and I couldn't put my full weight on my leg. So I saw everybody. I saw new people after I had the baby. I saw physios, lots of different visitors to my hospital room trying to figure out what was wrong with my leg, and I ended up having to go and do this is months I'm talking later, like it did come back, and they were like, look, we don't want to tell you it's going to be back in two weeks, because it could be two months, it could be six months, but it will eventually come back. I had to do nerve testing with the neuro team. They basically said that they were trading it as if I'd had a stroke. It was like the connection between this and this go on.
Speaker 2: You're pointing at your brain and your leg leg. I can't believe you'd forgot to tell me that.
Speaker 1: It's funny because I guess when people talk about their like birth recovery, they're talking about like their vagina and stuff. I'm going about my knees.
Speaker 2: No, No, I mean I think there's there's so much to it. There's you know, the first toileting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't remember, Like honestly, it was pretty stock standard. It wasn't like, oh my god, I'm coming back next week. Let's do it again. But I think I'd heard so many horror stories or had such expectations of how bad it could be, and then it wasn't that, and I was like, this isn't so bad. But I know I'm extremely lucky, and I know there's a lot of like my mum talks about she had like a really bad episiotomy with first baby, my older sister, and I guess my recovery would have been different. But again, I drank my placenta. Have I told you this?
Speaker 2: You haven't told me that you drank your placenta. So did you put it into capsules or.
Speaker 1: Did you Yeah, so put it into capsules. Then the lady who does said encapsulation, she came and picked up the placenta, was on ice, took it, cleaned it, did whatever, came back with a little protein shaker that had a three centimeter piece of my placenta in it, with coconut water, a frozen banana, and frozen berries. You have to sign a thing saying that no one else is allowed to have a sip because technically you're eating like an organ, like a human organ. It's just like the legal form of cannibalism. It's true, I did that because I was really concerned, and I know we've talked about this before. I was really concerned about postnatal depression because I dealt with like anxiety and depression stuff years ago. So I was really worried about that. And because my at home life relationship wise, this was obviously very new for both of us, and I was concerned about that level of support from my partner. So yeah, I was really worried about all of that stuff. So I did a lot of research. I knew I was going to do the capsules, and then I saw she offered the lady whose service I used offered this smoothie thing. So I did that and I feel like it worked amazing. Also, like you know, could it just be a place ebo effect. I don't know, but ten out of ten would recommend I stopped bleeding after three days, three or four days, which apparently that's unheard of. That is unheard of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So I mean, look, you had a physically really great Yes, Physically it was kind of textbook. It came out perfectly healthy. You didn't really struggle with breastfeeding much. That all came really naturally, But you'd were left kind of as a single mom relatively quickly after she was born.
Speaker 1: Left as a single mom when she was three weeks old when my partner when I were on a boys trip, and then I was left as a single mom when my partner went to Thailand because he was tired when she was seven weeks old. So it was an easy decision at that point because I'd already been doing everything by myself anyway. So what was the difference. Yeah, if I just made that decision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we talk a lot about the fourth trimester on here, and I think that that's like something that's really interesting is you know that part of a newborn is really challenging. It's such a shift in how you go about life, like being a new mom and then also emotionally for you, you know, the end of a relationship and being a new mum. It's a lot. But you always has such a great positive outlook and I love how you're like I can just I've got this. Well.
Speaker 1: It's one of those things where it's like if you don't laugh, you'll cry. So the whole looking after babies been newborn just kind of comes very naturally to me. I had a lot of experience my older sister's first baby, Miller. I spent a lot of time with her. I mean I still do, but particularly in the first like two years of her life. I looked after her a few times a week and I've just always I mean, who doesn't love babies. Honestly, it didn't feel completely scary. Of course, there's the moments when you first get home and you're like, oh my god, I'm a mom. That's scary, but I wasn't completely going and blind, Like I knew how to burn a baby and you how to rock a baby.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I knew how to get a baby settled, give a baby a bar, yea, all that kind of stuff. So, yeah, I guess that's the lucky thing of having siblings have children.
Speaker 2: I think there is a lot, yeah, unsaid, but I think the core of it is you went through a birth and a labor during a very emotional time, but you are thriving.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I know. It sounds really like, obviously this is not how I planned for it to be. And you know, young me, when I would think about my life when you're older, you're like, oh my god, I'm going to be married by the time I'm twenty and I'm gonna have seven babies and like a house and you know what I mean, Like when you're a little girl and you think about that and you think about your wedding and stuff. I never thought that i'd be firstly having a baby before I was married. Like I wouldn't say that I'm like a super traditional person, but I just that's how you're supposed to do it. I didn't plan for it to be like this, but turns out it is. At They're probably the best outcome for me.
Speaker 2: I love it. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Here at Diary of a Birth. We want you to be armed with all the information and today we have obstrution and gynecologist Dr Bronwin Devine here to answer all of our burning medical questions. So what is the science behind encapsulating a placenta?
Speaker 3: So look, there are a number of people who will either organized for someone to take their placenta and encapsulate it, and then they'll take it as a tablet, which is sometimes for some people, a more palatable way of consuming your placenta post birth. Other people will be very brave and cookt or incorporated in some other sort of food, which it sounds like Simone's done with the smoothie. The science and the understanding of why this is done is still there's a lot of mysticism around it, and there's not a lot of really clear, high quality scientific data that says it's definitely the right thing to do, But there's more and more people who believe that it is a good approach to take. I think the sort of understanding is that all the you know, so the rationale is that post birth people do go through a huge flux in their hormones and that can be associated with significant mood change. And so the belief is that if you don't just take your placenter or have your placenter of birthed and then thrown in the bin, then at least you can, you know, in some way recuperate some of those very potent hormones that the placenta makes, because the placenta is an amazing hormone factory and it makes so many incredible mediators and hormones and proteins and things like that. So the rationale behind consuming your placenta in some form post birth is to really sort of ease yourself into a more gentle transition to the post birth state. As I say, not a huge amount of really high quality scientific evidence to support that, but there certainly is more and more people who are electing to either have their PERCENTA turned into tablets or to consume it some other way.
Speaker 2: And how common is the injury that's some mind sustained.
Speaker 3: Bearing in mind I'm not in anithetis, so this will be a fairly simple explanation. But neuropraxia is just usually some temporary trauma to a nerve, often pressing on a nerve for a prolonged period of time that can cause the nerve to get a little bit damaged, but it usually recovers fully, but it then can have effects like numbness and tingling, or sometimes weakness of the muscle supplied by that nerve, and often femeral nerve. Neuropraxia is not so much due to the epidural but things like the position that people might be in when they're pushing, or the position that people might be in when they're lying in a particular position for a long time as a result of having a regional block like an epidural federal nerve. Neuropraxia is not uncommon with childbirth, but it's often more associated with being up in stirrups, not so commonly associated with epidural anesthesias. Happen you've got pressure on a nerve after being in a position for a fairly extended period of time. Usually with the neuropraxya of the nerve recovers completely and the muscle weakness resolves, or the numbers and tingling resolves. So it's not something that requires anything further than just a bit of rehability of stuff, maybe some physio things like that.
Speaker 2: Dary over Birth was hosted by me Casanulukitch with expert input from doctor Bronwin Devine. If you have a birth story, we'd love to hear from you. Details are in the show notes. This episode was produced by Tina Mattalov and myself Casanu Lukitch, with audio production by Leopordiz