Speaker 1: Welcome to Parenting Out Loud, the podcast that brought you six seven. We're not like every other parenting podcast. We're not here to tell you how to parent. We look at the trends and the culture and sort of like the vibe of parenting and like to kind of pick it apart. It's pretty fun. Actually, I'm monque Bowling.
Speaker 2: I'm Amelia Lesta, and I'm Stacey Hicks.
Speaker 1: Coming up on today's show.
Speaker 3: Our viral dilemma this week has sparked a big conversation about grandparent boundaries and it's quite spicy.
Speaker 4: Deanna Miller Laura Henshaw two celebrities presenting two very different images of what it means and looks like to be a new mum.
Speaker 2: So why are people happy with either of them?
Speaker 1: And the Japanese invention that we're obsessed with.
Speaker 3: But first at first, guys, the biggest celebrity mom group drama of twenty twenty six has been sparked up again.
Speaker 2: Mandy Moore has entered the chat.
Speaker 4: I was so worried that Mandy Moore would enter the parenting chat drama while you were on holiday.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, this has been a story this Sorry, can you explain the story to me.
Speaker 1: It's so there are so many prongs. Now, can you just give me like a quick praise?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're up to Yes.
Speaker 3: I can, as the official Celebrity mom Roup correspondent of this podcast. So this kicked off back on January one, and I love that Mandy Moore has just gone, no, I'm not over it yet. It's May and we're talking about it again. But it kicked off on me January. Sorry, it kicked off on January one because Ashley Tisdale of high school musical fame published a pretty scathing article with the cart explaining why she left her toxic mum guen.
Speaker 5: She published that on New Year's Day. Yes that's some like six. Yes, yes, she's looked at the moon.
Speaker 1: She's gone. You know what I'm doing it. We're changing things up this year. I'm going to start the year with toxicity.
Speaker 3: Yes. Yeah, she was like twenty twenty six, the year of being toxic, and here I go. So she claimed that there was mean girl behavior in this mum's group that she had to she had to leave. She couldn't take it anymore. And it was a celebrity studded mum see it was so it was widely known that she was in a mum's group with Hillary Duff, Mandy Moore, Meghan Trainer, like, they were all posting mom outings together, mom holidays all over the place, so it was widely known that these were the women she was speaking about, despite her never actually saying anything. Now, instead of Hillary Duff piping up straight away, Hillary Duff's husband decided to clap back on her behalf, which I kind of love that she just went, I'm outsourcing this to you, and he kind of did this mock cover of her cut article and he had the headline, when You're the most self obsessed, tone deaf person on Earth. Other moms tend to shift their focus to their actual toddlers.
Speaker 5: Burn Oh yes, I.
Speaker 2: Wish all husbands were as good at clapping back as as it was iconic.
Speaker 3: He even like dressed and mimicked the position that she was in in the photo with the cart. It was all it was all very juicy and very petty, but it had kind of died down, you know, we'd moved on from this. And then Mandy Moore was on Andy Cohen's podcast this week and she got asked about it.
Speaker 2: So this is what she had to.
Speaker 6: Say, it's wild to have anybody talk about your life. And I know Hillary has sort of mentioned this too. It's like we both have grown up in this business and had people dissect who we are and the choices we make and all of that. But this was something altogether different and decidedly like way more upsetting, you know what I mean, because it just like cuts to the core of I think the most important thing in my life is being a kind person and like that legacy of kindness, and anyone even insinuating that that might not be the case, and with the company that I choose to keep is like, is very upsetting.
Speaker 2: How's your legacy of christ?
Speaker 1: I don't mean to laugh. I don't mean to laugh. But when I saw this, I watched this with no sound on, so I didn't hear what she was saying, and all I did all I could see was her body language in this, And I got to say, I'm no body language expert, but I have watched enough Channel nine Today show with body language experts to know what I'm talking about. It is so it is so charged, and it is so defensive, and it does not come across well.
Speaker 3: I had a bit of sympathy for her with this, because I wondered whether it was one of those things where she's held a tongue and she's held a tongue, you know, like those people. I'm saying those people and I'm this people that can't have someone else thinking ill of you even though it doesn't really matter anymore.
Speaker 2: And it's like she just.
Speaker 3: So desperately wanted to fix the narrative and say no, but I'm not mean, like I never would have been mean.
Speaker 2: And that's what this felt like, that she was trying to be chill.
Speaker 3: And say, you know, yeah, it is upsetting when someone says that, and you know that's not who I am. But it came across as like, please, don't think I'm a mean girl.
Speaker 5: Please. It has no chill.
Speaker 1: It has no chill. And that's interesting because she would have known that this was going to come up, right, Yeah, Why hadn't someone prepared her and said, Mandy much chill in this situation, like you need to just be so level headed and even like channel a CEO, channel Ted Lasso and just be like, you know what, it's just really disappointing that some people were upset, and I wish them well. All it needed to.
Speaker 4: Be gentle parented, Andy Cohen said was very disappointing. I think the reason why she wasn't able to rain herself in here, despite the fact that I think we can agree that Mandy Moore and Hillary Duff won this narrative, Like, I don't think anyone thought Ashley Tisdale came out looking good from it. Setting that aside, I think that what you see happening in this clip is that realization of the way you think about yourself is different from the way other people think about you. Yeah, that is such a confronting moment in anyone's life because you think, well, I'm putting out kindness in the world. I'm just trying to be kind and clearly it's not coming across that way to some people. And you can almost see like the cogs in her brain like trying to trying to turn over.
Speaker 2: Am I the mean girl?
Speaker 4: Maybe I am the mean girl when I only ever tried to be kind?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do feel I do feel for her.
Speaker 3: I think she's one of those She's had that legacy of being one of those very wholesome you know, she was famous very early, much like Hillary was, and they have both had pretty untarnished reputations as they've as they've grown up in this industry.
Speaker 5: Child stars, Yeah, they were child.
Speaker 3: Stars essentially, and so to have someone saying that you're you're not a nice person would feel like a big affront. But who knows, Maybe Megan Trainer's husband will pipe in soon like another update, and this.
Speaker 5: Story will just go all year.
Speaker 1: Like speaking of child stars, it does feel childish to an extent, And I think for me, what's interesting about it is it's giving high school. It's giving high school drama and me and girl drama. And there is this maybe there's this myth of when you become a mother that you've shared this unique experience with a lot of other women. So there's sort of like this kumbayanas that might come over you and you suddenly feel like, oh, we're a sisterhood, right, I am a mother, you're a mother as a mother. But this just shows that is not the case at all, Like it is still very much high school.
Speaker 5: Two much love.
Speaker 4: Celebrities have lately presented in some ways polar opposite visions of what new motherhood actually looks like.
Speaker 5: So let me tell you about the first.
Speaker 4: Laura Henshaw appeared on the cover of Sunday Life magazine for her first Mother's Day with her five month old son Atlas.
Speaker 2: Very cool.
Speaker 5: And she looked so.
Speaker 4: Gorgeous and was wearing this kind of beautiful coats with her baby nestled under her and you know, relaxing by autumn foliage. The photoshoot was gorgeous. Hensher is the co founder of wellness platform Kick. She has three hundred and forty six thousand followers on Instagram, which is about three hundred and forty five thousand and ninety more followers than I have. She's been very honest and upfront with her community about the challenges of parenting. And this started even before she had kids. She had this podcast that she hosted called Do I Want Kids? And then on her main podcast, she's talked about since having Atlas, for instance, her decision to choose an elective cesarean, how hard it is to co parent in a fair and equitable way with her husband, Dalton. So she is used to controversy, but even she must have been taken aback by what happened last month when she breastfed Atlas. In a conversation on her podcast with Dalton, her husband, here's a bit of that podcast. I don't want anyone to listen and think we had it all figured out before we went in.
Speaker 5: Because we absolutely didn't.
Speaker 2: And it has been. It has been really hard, and it was really interesting.
Speaker 1: Yesterday I had a conversation with someone in my DMS.
Speaker 3: She said, are you really sharing the load or are you just telling us that?
Speaker 5: Do you hear Al a.
Speaker 1: Little bit squeaks and then little squeaks of him.
Speaker 4: It sounds adorable, but then he or she is unpacking the response with her co host Steph Claire Smith.
Speaker 3: If you can't look at me breastfeeding without sexualizing me.
Speaker 4: You need to do some work on yourself.
Speaker 2: That is not my problem, he said. Imagine a guy did this because.
Speaker 4: He was in a rush, in a rush, Yes, he just had to film a podcast with his penis. Hat was the most rogue comment, because why.
Speaker 3: The could you need to get your penis out in a podcast?
Speaker 5: So that was yes.
Speaker 4: One of the criticisms was how gratuitous it was of her to take her breast out to breastfeed her son while podcasting. So let me pause there before I tell you about a s who I think is presenting a very different image of New motherhood and ask if you saw this moms, did you see that controversy?
Speaker 5: And is this really where we're still.
Speaker 1: At I saw the original clip and not the controversy, and I just scrolled on past and was like, cool, there's a woman at work doing all the work. The baby's hungry, she has to record the podcast like play on no worries. I'm not surprised that the response to it was so disgusting, and it was because I think we know that there's this lurking manisphere. There's these men out there that feel that they can have these kind of vocal opinions, that they are very aggressive in the way that they go after people on social media. So I thought the response to it was excellent because them laughing at it and ridiculing it almost but then being able to take a step back and just laugh their heads off at what some of these men were saying takes a lot of the power out of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was a vibe of you're at work, why can't you just focus on your work? That was very much the message that these commenters were sending Laura. But what's interesting is that this week Sienna Miller, who was a millennial icon went on Jimmy Fallon's show just three weeks after giving birth at the.
Speaker 5: Age of forty four.
Speaker 4: Just pause for a minute and imagine you are three weeks after giving birth at the age of forty four, and you need to go on Jimmy Fallon's show to talk about your Amazon Prime series with John Krasinski. She also has a toddler and a teenager at home, by the way, and the message.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, Amelia the toddler was on the flight with her to the Jimmy Fallon Show. She had to take a transatlantic flight with a three week old and a toddler to even get to that interview and three week's postpartner.
Speaker 4: She put on a marigold yellow spaghetti strap dress and looks, I think, more beautiful than I've ever I've seen even Sienna Miller look and talks to Jimmy Fallon in a completely coherent way.
Speaker 2: Here she is and I can't even believe that you're here because you just had a baby three weeks ago.
Speaker 4: It's yeah, thank you.
Speaker 1: It's crazy to be talking words and wearing like a dress.
Speaker 4: So she sounds self deprecating in that clip, but then she very quickly does move on to her work project. And I'll call this approach to new motherhood the Margo because you know who else did this had a baby and then went straight back to never talking about babies at work was Margot Robbie Stacy. You had quite a strong reaction to our friend Sienna's address.
Speaker 3: I don't like this about myself, Like, would I ever commented on the internet. No, of course I wouldn't. But internally, when I saw that clip of her, I did go, oh, you're so annoying, like, how do you look that beautiful? And me doing all of this stuff three weeks later? It just makes me feel bad And that's so ridiculous. And I know that intellectually because this was ten minutes of Sienna Miller's day. A person who has access to makeup artists, nanny's stylists, it's her job to look like that. It's her job to go out and present those things. So of course she is going to go and do that. But I don't think you can help but kind of compare your own experience to that and where you were at at that at that point, And even though I know that, you know the rest of her night was probably a shit show.
Speaker 2: With that baby. It did make me bristle, it did.
Speaker 4: I think that's a completely valid emotional response. What happened online is that comment has started criticizing her for leaving her baby God and Margot. Robbie has also gotten some backclash recently from people saying, where's your baby, Margot? Why aren't you talking about your baby? And it suddenly occurred to me, maybe this is what patriarchy is. When a new mother can literally not do anything right. If she feeds her baby, she's told she's not focusing on her work. If she focuses on her work, she's told that she needs to be at home with her baby.
Speaker 3: And what's the other option, Like we want these women to completely vanish, And that's the.
Speaker 4: Thing that's the preferred outcome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that is so such a bad message to send to mothers, that you must be invisible after that point, like you must retreat, so we don't see how you do it, whether it's right or wrong.
Speaker 2: We just know you're with them. Twenty seven.
Speaker 5: That's a great point, Stacy.
Speaker 4: I actually hadn't put it together that that's why this message gets pushed out there, because if both Margo and Laura feel like they're they're doing it wrong. The net result is every day women who are not celebrities look at them and say, there's no right way of doing this. So I'm just going to make sure that I take myself out of the professional sphere altogether. Mons are we overthinking this? Is this just Ciana Milla looking beautiful in a spaghetti strut dressed?
Speaker 1: You know what, I don't think they give a fuck what we all think. I don't think they give a fuck what people on the internet think. I don't think they care. I think they are doing what is right for them in that moment, and that is their choice and more power to them. I think that Ciena Miller might not have even wanted to be there. She probably signed a contract to promote this movie two years ago and the timing didn't line up. You know, Laura Henshaw is running her own business. You can't take maternity leave. You have to just keep working. And I just think we're at the point now where there is so much noise towards mothers that it's like become white noise. And I just really hope that they just shrug their shoulders and get on with it, because who cares is that too simplistic.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I just think that women in the public eye, they've just got an impossible task. But I at least like that we're seeing different versions of what motherhood can be at that point, because I think, yeah, there is actually a lot of movement in that space to women seeing different ways of doing things. So at least that's something. But it's a shame that they need to take such backlash in order for that to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. At some point in the journey of becoming a mother, you're just too tired to care what other people think. You're just too tired, and your head is down and you are getting on with it. And I hope that that's what these women are doing and not even reading the comments. The other point is that like women are being asked to make motherhood look compatible with everything else. That's the frustrating bit is that this is a lie, like Ciam Miller thing is a total lie, Like you can't.
Speaker 3: That's so true, that's so true, that's seemlesstncient bold.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and that's that's difficult. But aren't we smart enough now to all look at it and go, wow, She's amazing. She must have had a whole team of people. She probably didn't even want it.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm projecting too much onto her.
Speaker 3: Okay, there is this trend popping up in Japan at the moment that I think is one of the most brilliant ideas for mothers I've ever seen, and they need to have them everywhere.
Speaker 2: They're called nighttime crying cafes.
Speaker 5: I love it already, It's so good.
Speaker 3: So they essent spaces for women where they can take their babies late at night or into the early hours of the morning, free of charge, and just be with other mothers who are also going through the same thing while their babies cry it out, essentially. So one woman, Medoka Nazawa, she runs one of these crying cafes in Hakkaido free of charge, in a space that is actually used as a specialty French toast shop during the day, which I want to go to quite badly.
Speaker 1: But smell delicious, wouldn't it.
Speaker 3: But this place is then run by volunteers at night so that these women can bring their babies. The babies can play or sleep, they can breastfeed, change nappies there and just be heard these by these volunteers in that space.
Speaker 2: Isn't that so genius?
Speaker 4: I love that I had a baby in Japan, and it is true that is of course in many ways, the public spaces are really nicely set up for babies.
Speaker 2: I remember there was a cafe near.
Speaker 4: Where I lived which had a broom which was covered in those like play mats that you get for kids. Yeah, like where they can crawl around. There was just one big round table so there were no sharp edges and I could just take my baby there and have the baby crawl around while I was drinking my delicious coffee. That's great and I just wish that more places in Australia would do that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I know this is meant to be like a funny light segment, but I have such a visceral reaction to reading this story and I feel like the pin prick of tears behind my eyes because I had two babies with colic. I don't know if either of you had a baby with KIT and that is the most intense and relentless experience in those early early months, and I would have loved to, like I remember that feeling of four o'clock coming and the feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach. The crying was going to start, and then it just wouldn't stop until ten o'clock at night. And it's that I would love to go to a crying cafe where you can just I don't know if I would have had the energy for it, but just to know that there was a space where other people were going through it.
Speaker 3: It's so important, Yeah, because those hours really do feel like the loneliest of your entire life, horrendous, they will never ever end. And to just think of this like going out into the night and literally seeing that light at the end of the tunnel, like that light at the end of the street that you could go to and just be there and know someone else was there, would just be the coolest thing.
Speaker 2: So I hope these pop up more and more.
Speaker 4: I feel like I need to interject also, though, and say that the flip side to Japan having a lot of really lovely spaces for babies is that those spaces are very much designed for mothers and babies. It's a lot of the expectations and responsibilities around child wearing in Japan still very much lie with mothers, and in fact, recently in the same newspaper that we read this in, which is The Japan Times, there was a headline about how Japanese dads are so overwhelmed that they've started Isakaia support groups.
Speaker 5: Isakaias are of course bars.
Speaker 4: And the dads going to isakia support groups there are not There are no babies in isakiah's, so the mothers go to a place with.
Speaker 5: Their babies for emotional support.
Speaker 4: The fathers are heading out to Kiski sour at the isakayah And look, I don't think any society is perfect on this note. But there was an article in Time magazine just a couple of years ago about a government flyer that was being distributed in on Amishi, which is a city in Hiroshima Prefecture, and it was a pamphlet of advice to new mothers. This was twenty twenty three, not that long ago, and it included a list of behaviors that men didn't like in their wives.
Speaker 5: These include, I want to know if you're guilty of this.
Speaker 4: Being busy taking care of the baby and not doing chores, failty of that? And what about this one getting frustrated for no reason?
Speaker 2: H Yeah.
Speaker 4: It also recommended that new mothers prepare their husband's lunch every day, thank men for doing basic household chores, and always have a smile on their faces.
Speaker 5: So look, I don't mean to be a downer.
Speaker 4: I think that we should bring the crying cafes to Australia. Absolutely, but also maybe the moms go to the Yezekaiah every now and then too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, So there's a grandmother that went viral this week for a small crime of love and maybe overstepping depending on how you feel about it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: The Washington Post has an advice column called life Hacks because the columnist is called Carolyn Hacks, and it went like.
Speaker 3: This, After my son's family moved back to the area, I told them I joined my grandkid's pta.
Speaker 5: My daughter in law was so upset they stopped speaking to me.
Speaker 2: What should I do?
Speaker 1: Okay? How involved is too involved?
Speaker 3: The biggest crime here comes down to one thing that she didn't ask before she joined. She mustn't have because she told them after the fact, and that is the part that's the crime. This is equivalent to saying, oh, I took your baby for their first haircut while I was looking after them. Hope that's okay?
Speaker 5: It's my god, it is not it is because it's like.
Speaker 3: The parent's probably not going to have a problem with it. They're probably happy you're taking them, but like, just run it by them first.
Speaker 5: It's a free country, right.
Speaker 3: I just think there's some things that walk that line of that's that's for me to do, and I'll tell you if I need your help with it, or just ask me if it's okay.
Speaker 5: No, Mom's what do you think?
Speaker 1: What is the crime? A succulent PTA? I say, let the grandparents at it. Seriously, if my mother in law joined the PTA, you know what, I'd think, Great, one less job for me to do. I think, you know what else can we get them to do? Can they do my tax? Can they take the kids to the orthodontis appointment?
Speaker 5: Please? Like please?
Speaker 4: I was kind of curious about the context for this, and so I went and read the actual letter that was sent to Carolyn Hacks, who, by the way, is my favorite advice columnist and has been doing it for like three decades.
Speaker 5: She's the best.
Speaker 4: The original letter is kind of like a walking red flag for a bad mother in law.
Speaker 2: I knew it.
Speaker 5: I'm just this is not her first charge.
Speaker 4: This is not one little, one little paragraph count the red flags. She says, I don't understand what's happened. I always have had a frosty relationship with my daughter in law. She is not my favorite person. I did not approve of my son marrying her and found her immature since the kids were born. I tried to let by gones be by gones.
Speaker 5: He is not letting bygones be by.
Speaker 3: I knew that this woman had a rap sheet, like I knew that this was not the first time that this mother in law has stock.
Speaker 5: She says.
Speaker 4: She responded with ignoring any advice I've provided and making it as difficult as possible for me to visit. She's cordial, but not friendly, and I feel she excludes my husband and me from some events. I cannot imagine why. I cannot imagine.
Speaker 3: Oh damn, as much as we're saying she's a menace, like tension is the price you pay for community. Unfortunately, like if you want to have family help you, if you want to have people around that help you out, there's always going to be discrepancies in the best ways.
Speaker 5: It's really profound. Tension is the price you pay for community.
Speaker 4: Did you just make that up.
Speaker 2: Yeah I did.
Speaker 5: That came out of my little tired brain.
Speaker 3: But I just think it's true, like we have differing ideals than our parents did or our parents in law do, around how we raise children, the decisions around them, and so if you want their help, if you want their participation, and you want to be around them and your children have a relationship with them, you're probably just gonna have to deal with like a little bit of that and a little bit of just going Okay, you do that thing and I'll do this thing.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so true. We say we want the village, and then when the village comes, we're like, no, not too much village, or.
Speaker 2: Don't do the village that way.
Speaker 3: That's not how I like the village done.
Speaker 1: I do think though, this has sparked an idea, an entrepreneurial idea that I have. It's like Air tasker, but for grandparents. Grand tasker, so you just like find a grandparent and then assign them a job that you don't have the time to do in your life, like, oh, the school's got an AGM, cool off you go, gramps.
Speaker 2: Yeah that takes some notes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is a great idea. I would like one of those too, that would be great.
Speaker 1: All right, So grandparent air tasker or grand tasker aside, what else are we recommending this week?
Speaker 3: I am recommending a show, and you know my taste in shows that this is not going to be high brow people.
Speaker 5: You were the first person to tell me about here did why?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: And this show is similar to Heated Rivalry. It is the other hockey show. That's what it's been referred to.
Speaker 5: As so boring. It's no, it's great.
Speaker 3: Okay, let me convince you. It is a college romance between the sweet natured music student and the star hockeyslayer. And it starts with My Loves where they're trying to make someone else jealous, but then their chemistry can't be denied.
Speaker 2: Is this a trope you've seen a million times? Yes?
Speaker 5: It is?
Speaker 2: Are these people.
Speaker 5: Beautiful book student?
Speaker 1: Yesh? Does the music student have like nerding glasses and oily hair? And do they have the makeover the money?
Speaker 6: No they don't.
Speaker 3: She's absolutely stunning from the get go, absolutely stunning. But this show has gone off like everyone and their mother, I'm the mother is watching this show and like m Vernham mentioned this on Friday in out Loud as well, it's cool. See our cool girl m Burnham is watching it as well. But also I have friends who are around my age texting me and going, oh I checked. The lead is actually twenty seven, so it's not that bad that I find him.
Speaker 5: So entracted.
Speaker 2: And the main guy.
Speaker 3: Not that this matters, but it is a nice bonus. Before he became famous, he donated a kidney to a stranger in one of those kidney swaps to like get his friend a kidney. He tried to donate to his friend and wasn't compatible, so he gave one to someone else.
Speaker 5: And I just think that's very.
Speaker 2: Love, Like, what a nice man.
Speaker 5: It's very nice.
Speaker 3: It's on Amazon Prime. It is nothing but sugar and fairy floss. And that is why what's that cold?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: Off campus? And is it Canadian American?
Speaker 3: No, it's American, but yeah, off campus. And there's actually an Aussie star in it, Josh Houston. He's an Ossie actor and he's in it as well. It's just the hottest cast you'll ever see, yes see young but you'll enjoy it anyway.
Speaker 4: Okay, so what's your show? I have another show. Yeah, my show is called The Other Bennett's Sister. I've heard about that it's on Binge, and I basically watched the whole thing on a glorious Sunday when I was under the weather, and it was just the most posey show. It's based on the book The Other Bennett's Sister, which is a spin off of Pride and Prejudice, and it's about im pride and prejudice that the Bennett sisters. There's five of them, and there's one who's very very bookish, who doesn't get married to anyone, so it's sort of left out of the main plot, and the novel imagines what her life was like after all her sisters.
Speaker 5: Went and got married.
Speaker 4: And the show is just so well cast, well done. It's like little like thirty minute fite sized episodes. It's not sort of an epic historical drama. It feels very pacy in terms of its plot. But the reason I think it's really interesting to recommend on a parenting show is because it gets you thinking about how families tell certain truths about their dynamic and their relationships. And this sister was always told by her family that she was not beautiful like this sister, and not like this sister, and not popular like this sister, and the show is about how she manages to create her own more positive self image away from maybe the stories that she got told in her family unit. So I think it just it's a reminder that your kids are always kind of listening to the stories you're telling them about themselves.
Speaker 5: And that's my.
Speaker 4: Very convoluted way of tying it into parenting. It's just a great watch.
Speaker 2: Love it. What's yours, Mamsie?
Speaker 5: Great?
Speaker 1: I'm going to recommend another podcast and I know people are always looking for the next thing to listen to, and it's a MoMA Mere Network podcast that I also work on Caveat. It's called Unleashed. And the reason I wanted to bring it is because it's a show where you don't have to think too much. It's just very much light distraction. But in this episode this week, one of the hosts, kath Mahoney, talked about long weekends as a single parent and how there's this myth of like when there's a long weekend coming up, everyone's like, Yay, what are you doing for the long weekend? Can't wait for the long weekend? But her experience as a single parent is very different.
Speaker 7: Take a listen, I actually dread holidays and long weekends, Like since I've been divorced and a single parent, I really struggle with holidays. Oh I do, like like that'd some good ones.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I love you.
Speaker 2: You're talking about care are you talking about like holidays.
Speaker 1: And then just long weekends, like anything that feels like time?
Speaker 7: Yeah, something should be happening, and yeah, if you don't set something up, you know, it's also really lonely.
Speaker 2: So it's really yeah, crappy time.
Speaker 6: No, I mean I think that could happen to any of us, you know, being a single mom, single.
Speaker 5: Parents, right, so I completely understand.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I've like never really said that out loud, because first of all, you put on a happy face, don't you for holidays, and you don't want to sound like the person you know, Yeah, yeah, miserable. So that's the first time I've shared that on a podcast.
Speaker 1: She's just a darling. It's a really great show. It's got a lot of humor and a lot of warmth and yeah it's called Unleashed, all right. So there you have it, something to watch, something to listen to, something to do. It's been great spending time with you on parenting out loud. We will be back in your ears or in your eyeballs if you're watching on Apple Podcasts next week. Have a great week. MoMA me acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we have recorded this podcast.