Speaker 1: So you're listening to a Muma Mia podcast.
Speaker 2: Mamma Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of the land and waters that this podcast is recorded on. I'm a Shiny Dante host of But Are You Happy? Did you know that one in five Australians experience and mental health condition each year, Yet too many suffer in silence. Talking about our feelings and experiences is one of the most powerful steps towards healing and knowing we're not alone. That's why we're introducing I Never told You This, a series created to spark honest, meaningful conversations that support better mental well being, brought to you by Medibank.
Speaker 1: There's been a change, and I just feel as though you rely on me a lot.
Speaker 3: I feel bad for leaving.
Speaker 4: Two people one big reveal. I never told you this A simple card game where one question could change everything.
Speaker 3: It starts like, what more thing brings me joy?
Speaker 2: I'm not going to answer that.
Speaker 4: Then comes the moment that could shift a relationship forever. As they finished this sentence, I never told you this.
Speaker 3: I've never told you. They never told you this.
Speaker 4: Today, mother and daughter, Amelia and Slavka will be sitting down together.
Speaker 3: My mom and I often have these conversations.
Speaker 4: Amelia has something big to tell her mother.
Speaker 1: It's always a little bit scary bringing something up hearing her response. But I'm excited, welcome. So how are you feeling, Mum feeling a.
Speaker 3: Little bit nervous, which is normal.
Speaker 1: I think you know that I enjoy these types of conversations. So now I'm going to do keen to chat to you about it in depth and in an environment where you can't run away from me and not tell me.
Speaker 3: That you don't want to talk about it.
Speaker 5: That's true.
Speaker 3: I agree, that's not running. What is the game?
Speaker 1: The card game is called the Medibank Family Roast Cards, and we're going to each take turns asking each other some questions.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll go first. I'm going to pick up a card and read the question. Now, tell us about an embarrassing child childhood memory.
Speaker 5: And I fell off the bike. We were showing off, obviously as a teenager, so it was like a little stupid competition. Do you have to close our eyes open wide arms blinded? Down the hill? Nearly broke my knee and everyone was laughing. There was a really embarrassing moment for me. So tell me about an act of kindness you remember me doing for you.
Speaker 1: You're an act of serviceman. If you could do anything for us, you would do it.
Speaker 5: Oh, I want to always be there for my kids. Yes, you definitely thank you, so it was good to know. Actually, thank you, of.
Speaker 1: Course, And I'm sorry if I don't say it enough, because I really do think that.
Speaker 2: The rest of this episode of I never told you this right after the break.
Speaker 3: Now we're up to the big reveal.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the card says I never told you this. Sorry, I'm getting a bit of a sure. Sorry for a bit of backstory. We know that I'm going to Europe very soon. I bought a one way ticket. Yes, but I've never told you that. It's actually pretty hard for me to leave because I feel almost guilty for going. So for a bit of context, obviously Dad passed away, and you know he was sick for a very long time, but still it was unexpected. And obviously you and I became really really close.
Speaker 5: Even more closer.
Speaker 3: I wanted to be around you.
Speaker 1: I felt safe and comfortable, and you really helped me heal and it was beautiful. We know, since Dad passed away about a year and a half ago, there's been a change, and I just feel as though you rely on me a lot. I feel bad even more so for leaving, and again, I don't want to feel that way. I feel like that is holding me back. I think five years were really, really hard. He was diagnosed with dementia and Parkinson's and see how did you feel during that.
Speaker 5: I don't mind looking after That's something in my nature. I believe it's I don't mind changing him and bathing him and giving him medication. But the hardest thing is to see him every days deteriorating and his health is getting more and more sick. After I quit my work, my job, and that was the hardest decision. I felt like my freedom was taken away from me. At one stage, I was thinking, how long is this going to last? Yes? Wow, At first I was feeling like, oh my gosh, you know she's leaving me.
Speaker 3: How can she do that to me? Those other things in.
Speaker 5: My mind, I was actually thinking, what if she feels that way, that's not good.
Speaker 3: We have this good relationship.
Speaker 5: And I don't want any secrets between us, so I don't want you to feel that way anymore. I'm kind of came with ease, with that it is going to be hard for me without you. But that's not fair to not let you go just because I need to hold you next to me. I left my mum too, I went for another life, and she didn't say why you're going.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I'm actually pleasantly surprised by your response, But in saying that, I could sense that you were feeling a little bit more at ease, because initially, when you remember, when I would mention me booking I was angry.
Speaker 3: I would often get the response off I.
Speaker 6: Talk about it, you would just walk away, And that was honestly pretty hard for me because I've often been the sort of holder or the safety in that of our family family, and it's a lot.
Speaker 3: Of weight to carry.
Speaker 5: I have to, as I said, give you my bossing and let you go. And you do need to follow your dreams.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much mum for sharing. Oh thank you for inviting me.
Speaker 5: You know how much I love you.
Speaker 3: Are we going to hug each other.
Speaker 5: I have to hug you now and