Speaker 1: We acknowledged the traditional custodians of the land we're recording on today. I remember this day, this conversation on the phone. It was a boy that I had booked up with through all high school, were really good mates, and he said these ten words to me. He said, you would be so much hotter if you started running, And with that I ran.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome back to Eat, Sleep, Shit, Repeat, your unhinged podcast about the madness that is motherhood and everything in between.
Speaker 1: I'm Kiri Cells and just a heads up that we are discussing body image, toxic diet culture, and disordered eating today, so this episode might not be for everyone.
Speaker 2: I didn't say my name to know, did you. I don't even know. I think I'm Kelly McCarron. Anyway, I'm pretty sure most of our shitters will know that. But I'm just sitting here going I've got no idea if I said my name before we start. We do have a request, go on and please go and review us on both Apple and Spotify. You can do it while you're listening to us. It takes less than a minute. It's a free and very easy way for you to support the podcast. Now to kick the episode off keys up for peaking pitch.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 2: Let's hope it's a less shit.
Speaker 1: Oh look, it's less physically.
Speaker 2: You're never going to get old.
Speaker 1: It's never going to get old. Oh, but it is a bit sad. So just prefacing it with I'm just going to talk about some grief for my pit and it is the day as well, so it's a little bit of a double barrel sadness. But the past week has been pretty emotional. So today is my mother in law's birthday, so it's been quite a difficult week just in the lead up to it. For context, if you're a new listener, we lost my mother in law really suddenly at the beginning of the year, and the green has been incredibly hard to navigate. Also grieving while pregnant, and it's difficult because you know that these firsts are going to come up, but you don't necessarily realize how victim you're.
Speaker 2: Going to be and the impact that that first will have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know it's coming and you can just feel your yourself kind of like your heart breaking all over again.
Speaker 2: And because it is the first year that you won't be calling her and getting rude of seeing and yeah, all of that stuff and that's so heavy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think it's almost like the lead up is all the makeup I've just put on is coming.
Speaker 2: Off streaming down your face the lead.
Speaker 1: Up to it. I wouldn't say it's worse, but you just you have to live your life, right, So you're living while your body is processing or bracing for like this big emotional sadness and kind of just questioning everything all over again and just really missing that person a lot.
Speaker 2: So the problem with grief and time is that all of these firsts are going to hit you so hard. Yet I think people are empathetic, but no one can really understand to what you're going through. And I mean it's a bit different for you, but for anyone in a normal job, people at work would be like, you've had your time off for grief. What do you you know? You've had your grieving period. Yeah, And it's definitely trying to navigate all of these new parts of grief that will continue to find you while yeah, living your life and working and mothering and everything in between.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the mothering particularly has been difficult. Like I can't tell you the number of times in the last week, like and rue isn't inherently like a mean hid but she or just say like I don't like that or something.
Speaker 2: And they can be jerked. We can acknowledge that they can be real jerks.
Speaker 1: And it's just broken me. Like I've just been really emotionally sensitive and she's seen me cry like three times this week, and I'm just like, fuck, is this like fucking her up right now?
Speaker 2: Like, oh, we've been It's important that she sees that you're a person with varied emotions just like she is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, let me say something all the time, do not go.
Speaker 1: That makes me feel better. You know where I got this from? Though Mummy's flipping house. She's like, I try not to cry in front of my kids, And I was like, fuck, is that bad? Oh my god, I've just not realized, like this wasn't on my radar. I don't think then.
Speaker 2: I'm not a psychologist and I haven't spoken to one about this, but I feel like kids need to be aware that we have different emotions. It's about things. I mean, listen, you don't want your kids to grow up and go, oh my mom just cried all the time. Yeah, fucking but like just like you're happy, you also get angry, and you also get sad, and you also get tired, and you get hungry, and you get everything that they get. Yeah, just totally like a little bit less unhingedly hopefully no exactly.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that was my pit this week, just of the lead up to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a big How are you and Charlie planning on celebrating her tonight?
Speaker 1: Oh goodness, I'm probably gonna start crying again.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Oh my gosh, what are friends in podcasts for.
Speaker 1: We're actually going out to dinner. We got given about in the best restaurant, so we're going out to celebrate her. Yeah, so nice.
Speaker 2: So we are excited for that, and she will be there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we feel her for sure, and Rue is like the spinning image of her, so she is.
Speaker 2: It's wild.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm going to compose myself's.
Speaker 2: So rough, but I'm so sorry for you and Charlie, Like, that's just it's just relentless, isn't it Just one thing after the other you think, oh, you know, it's getting a little bit better.
Speaker 1: Well, her birthday, yeah exactly, and then even just like the leader to the new baby, I think will be quite hard as well. Yes, that's right, we will get through it with some tears.
Speaker 2: It's healthy to get things out instead of internalizing them.
Speaker 1: I actually ordered some flowers yesterday for my father in law and my.
Speaker 2: Sister in law, and that's so nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was fucking comical. I called up the florist and was hysterically clearing on the phone to her, and I said to her, I'm gonna have to text best to chew the card because I don't think I can actually say it out loud, like.
Speaker 2: It's all of these things online. Key.
Speaker 1: I wanted to make sure that it got there on time, like I don't want it to be late, and like it's you know, they live in the Northern Rivers and typically things are, yeah, things are a bit slower, so I just wanted to like make sure everything was good but far out, like you just don't realize something's.
Speaker 2: Gonna affect you.
Speaker 1: And I was just like, this is.
Speaker 2: Not like anyway, to be fair, they would probably be used to it, I hope.
Speaker 1: So she was lovely too.
Speaker 2: Don't think that it would have been the first time someone's had a cry on the phone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. That's a very good point. Thank you. Okay, so peak, which is kind of like pit rising because I'm gonna explain to you. So when we were overseas, I got a message from this daycare that I've had rus list on forever.
Speaker 2: Says outside playtime.
Speaker 1: So much outside playtime, girl, It is like my dream daycare and not getting sick all the time. Learning shit. Anyway, they messaged me saying, hey, we've got spots for five like let me know if you're still interested, and I was like yes, and so they're like, oh, welcome, rue can start in January, and I was like fuck yeah. Like everyone where I live talks about like this daycare being so amazing, so like we're all ready to move through in the new year and everything's going great. Then my girlfriend messages me and her son goes to this other amazing daycare and was like in it, it had a message about they've got spots next year for twenty twenty five. So for some reason, most of the spots typically will go to siblings, so there's very limited spots, right. But for some reason, I think some people aren't having a second, some people are waiting a little bit longer to have a second. So there's like all of the space pretty much a whole class bar three spots. And so I messaged this chick on Monday and went for a tool yesterday and she offered it me.
Speaker 2: So now I have.
Speaker 1: Two offers all my two best daycares in my area, which obviously, because I'm me, is now turning into a fucking catastrophe because.
Speaker 2: I don't know what one to choose exactly. Pretty easy decision. Wasn't only one of them for three days?
Speaker 1: No, both of them have four?
Speaker 2: Oh wow, So okay, see you really are struggling. You've got.
Speaker 1: To help. One is like three minutes further than the other. They're both away from us, like we have to drive, so it's much of a muchness. You know, one could be closer if we do end up buying like this year, one could be closer to that, But they're three minutes apart, so it's not enough to like factor in. But I immediately called Ru's best friend's mum, Beck, who I mentioned from time time on.
Speaker 2: The pod friend of the pod brother's.
Speaker 1: Group's friend of the pod. Beck. We've been trying to get them into the same daycare basically, and I called her and I was like, there's spots at this place like call up. So she emailed and she's doing a tour tomorrow. So and she can't get into the other day care because we already tried that and there weren't any spots. So if she you can get Goldie into this staycare, then I think that will be the one because then they can kind of go up together.
Speaker 2: And yes, and like, oh how nice to have your little bestie.
Speaker 1: There exactly, And then it would just be easier, like we can carpl and like alternate pickups and you know, all things that'll be actually really helpful as well. But the good thing is there's not really a bad choice because both of these daycares have like really great raving reviews from parents and stuff. So yeah, that's my peaks. Finally I've got a little bit of luck with the daycare.
Speaker 2: You've got a little no more flood No more floods. Yeah, high temperatures and not giving a child's water, getting bitten all the time, well that was just one more stuck inside like jail exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: So it's a good problem to have overall. But I'll let you know how it go.
Speaker 2: If you grew up in the nineties and early noughties, and you don't have long standing body image issues. Congratulations, you're a very rare breed.
Speaker 1: Yes you are r kel elephant in the room. You don't.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I did. I just managed to get myself out of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, that middle aged white man energy continues, we see as always for millennials, our formative years were spent in the cultural storm that was the pre.
Speaker 2: Internet space and the newly pressure filled world of social media. It was the perfect storm of body shaming forces like magazine covers with loose five kilos fast splashed next to the emaciated bodies of the stars of our favorite TV shows, weight loss Shakes, the heroin cheek fashion era that involved things like low rise genes with razor sharp hip bones protruding like an essential accessory, access to thin spot tumbler sites, and pro ano rhetoric or TV series with rapidly shrinking stars. It was uniquely awful. It was a fat phobic time in cultural history that's left many of us with seriously screwed up body image issues. Can relate, although being thin isn't a new concept for us, Like our mothers and grandmothers grew up using cigarettes to curb their appetites. The harmful messaging we absorbed from every single direction wasn't the same at thin worshipping propaganda that they had, so for us, aesthetics was just one part of the equation. We weren't taught that being thin was just the standard of beauty, but it was the physical manifestation of discipline, dedication, and effort. We were told from every single angle. And as we know, the older we've got, the more different media messages we've received every single day that weight was somehow correlated with morality and value, and that is what has screwed us up in a way that is entirely distinct from our prior generations. As an example of this, if someone admits that they don't exercise if they're thin, it can be pummed off with like an eye roller, but if they're in a larger body, it is met with horror and revulsion. Nothing is more shameful than being lazy or gluttonous, or the perception of such. And people need to know that someone has discipline to increase their moral value, and discipline is synonymous within this. When I was in high school, I, like many teenagers, was obsessed with the notion of celebrity. I cried when I met Tamin Cursock and beck Hewitt Nieka right at the nabiak Thunner Up. I know after them, I actually cried. And I wasn't even allowed to watch Home and Away. So it wasn't like I was huge fans of their work. It was just that I was so in awe and overwhelmed with the idea of celebrity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was wondering how you even knew of them because you were locked up in your room reading the whole time.
Speaker 2: I still I was very into celebrity. Of course, my day to Friday, I would wake up early and run for one to two hours. Then I would come home and shake the toaster over a plate or put some wheat bis crumbs and a bit of milk bowl so I could convince my parents. I'd eat and breakfast. My dad would make me vitiweats or rivatas, those yummy things with vegimite for lunch because I would eat them. And I would also pack of tuna because I hate tuna, and I would then just sit and pick at it. Often I would be so dizzy on the bus on the way home that I would get home and go for another jog. Before being so starving, I would generally eat half a bag of biscuits and then smash my dinner. Thank goodness, because it's the only reason that I never got too thin. Yeah, yeah, I'm tall and broad, and I just wanted to be really small like the celebrities. I grew up in an era when I was told that size ten was plus sized and if you wanted to be a star, you had to be a size zero, which, to be honest, I still don't understand, like that just seems impossibly small. And the crazy thing is is that when we see videos resurface so Tyra Banks calling a model too big, we look at you.
Speaker 1: We don't see a model. And as much as I hate and preach about models not having to be stick skinny, we have to face it that we are in the fashion industry. You don't fit the clothes, you.
Speaker 2: Don't work, Or we see magazine covers where a very small Jessica Simpson is said to have packed on the pounds. The horrifying thing is that I never actually saw these things and thought there was anything wrong with it. Like I was never shocked or confused or saw that and thought are they joking like that was just so normal to me. So, Keith, tell me about your experience and what you think about all this.
Speaker 1: Can I just say, excellent points. I feel like you were kind of narrating my adolescence and probably a good chunk of my adult life, which pains me to even admit, because I just hate that I've wasted so much time thinking about this and being consumed with this. But for me, when I'm talking about the details of my experience, and specifically my experience like my eating disorder, I'm really careful about what I do and don't say about the details of how I achieved that or what I did that was bad, because I feel like people who are struggling go on to use those things to further this sickness. They can also be big triggers, and I know this because I have been that person in the past. But I can kind of give you a little bit of like an overview.
Speaker 2: I never even considered that from an adult perspective, Like I just never thought like mentioning different things that I did could be triggering, even though like as a teenager, of course I would read different things that people did and I thought, oh, that's a great idea. I don't know. I guess I just assumed that because we're all adults now that it wouldn't have the same impact.
Speaker 1: But I tell you what, even to this day, if I see a magazine that has like diet tips, I'll read it. I know to be critical about it, but like you know, so I'm just careful because I mean, I did everything. But I think finding out that I was having a daughter who now know is rude because she has been born, I thought a lot about my relationship with my body image, and I really tried to get the root of it. So I've done a lot of thinking about kind of how this all came about, because it's really important for me to try to not let her waist one minute of her life thinking about her weight, because I feel like I've spent so long worrying about my weight that I could I've done it basically two lifetimes over. But from a really young age, dieting and talk of dieting was really constant. My birth mum especially was obsessed with dieting and was always trying some latest fad that promised you'd shed the kegs, and that kind of language just was right alongside new words I was learning, so it was very much. I consumed it at such a young age, and I was a bit of a chubby kid. I was very aware that my body wasn't I want to.
Speaker 2: See so cute too?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I was just all cheeks. I mean, I'm still like a cheeks now, but I was so cute. But I remember, actually, you still have really good cheeks. I know that's succulent me Philip for more. But I do remember feeling really embarrassed and all of shame whenever I had to get changed, you know, like just out with like an aunts or uncle with the other cousins and having to get changed. I like really felt that shame. I didn't understand necessarily why, but I remember feeling it around my body and wanting to cover up. But fast forward to year eight, I had this like massive growth spurt and I dropped a bunch of weight and I didn't really feel that different. But the thing that stood out to me the most at that time and like reinforced that I should feel like proud, was how people treated me. And this is so lame, but this is literally what happened. So in the space of a year, I had moved into a different group at high school, and then I started dating the hot guy of the grade, so like completely like something out of a teen movie. And that's so lame and I'm cringing, But that reward for my body looking differently was like so obvious at that time, and I felt like that really loud laid the foundation in my psyche of like the value that's society puts on people with smaller bodies, all this idea of like thin or skinny privilege, which I'll get to in a second, but I would say that the trigger of my eating disorder. And that's fucked because I remember this day, this conversation on the phone. It was a boy that I had like hooked up with through all high school, are really good mates, and he said these ten words to me. He said, you would be so much hotter if you started running. And with that I ran. I ran every day, I ran very far, and I became completely obsessed. And then you know, around the same time, the invention of the Internet was just kind of like where I got my PhD in eating disorders, Like if you put lists together of the things like I have done it. But the really sad thing about that is that all of those tricks that I practiced to be thin for so many years. I now live with the repercussions of and I have the side effects of today. So I have a bunch of food intolerances. I now have ibs. I have a really incredibly lazy boo, and those are my daily reminders of how poorly I treated my body. And it is heartbreaking, like heartbreaking that these are all things that are self inflicted. But I think a lot about the turning point, because even though I'm not cured, I don't think I ever will be.
Speaker 2: You've gotten a lot better, like even when we met, much better that period between you and your late twenties to now, you've changed so much.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much because I try to remember that, because I do go through bad periods of course still, but they're few and far are between. Is that the same? I don't even know, you know, they're not as frequent, and I feel like I often think to myself, like, wow, you've come so far. And it was very much when I started working on a daily entertainment podcast with a dear friend of mine who's just the most incredible, intelligent person, amazing journalist Laura Brodnick We worked on this podcast together for four years, and it was my job basically every day to dissect celebrity culture and entertainment, and I had to critically examine things that were happening at a time when collectively we were all re examining a lot of things, but specifically diet culture or toxic dyt culture and how Hollywood largely perpetuated these ideals. And that's when, for the first time, I came across the term that I mentioned a little bit before, which is thin or skinny privilege and also pretty privilege. So when I discovered the idea of thin privilege, it fucked me up, but in a good way because suddenly I was like, Wow, I realized that I was perpetuating the stigma around wait as well as fat phobia by kind of buying into this thin privilege. And once I understood that, and I also have to shout up Lucy Neville because I know that she's going to be listening like she's from jen Z. Once I became friends with her specifically as well, I was finally able to improve my body image because I literally had this deeper understanding of this phenomenon that had kind of like taken hold of me. There's something that was like so tied to our culture and our value and our worth. And then I had someone younger than me going like, why do you say that stuff to yourself? Like that's so crazy, Like can you hear what you're saying to yourself? And then Lucy would always say, well, I'm bigger than you, so am I fat? And I'd be like, oh, you're not, Like it used to be not a youth thing.
Speaker 2: I used to say that to people all the time too. I'd be like, or if someone would be like, oh, so and so's a bit big, I'm like, I'm bigger than that person, and you're saying it in a negative way, so what do you say about me? And I also what you're discussing with Lucy, it makes me think of you know, whenever a friend is being really rude to themselves, it kisses me off because I'm like, don't fucking say that about yourself. If you wouldn't say it about your friend or someone you love, why are you saying it about yourself? One hundred percent like treat yourself kindly. Of course we all have bad days, but don't treat yourself like shit. Don't treat yourself like someone you really dislike.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. I wanted to quickly sorry, and I've just been gasbagging for so long, but I wanted to quickly explain thin privilege using the words of someone way smarter than I am. And I found this article that was written in twenty nineteen, and this is I think that the term was coined by a chick on Twitter who is tweeting about thin privilege. And it was as we were kind of like understanding like the privilege of wealth, the privilege of race, all of that kind of stuff, and then thin privileges ideal came up. So this is from a Sydney Morning Herald article thin privilege is real and it's time we fest up. It was written by Elana Seltzer. Hopefully they got her last name correct, so it reads the thin and thin privilege is not about being supermodel skinny, but being at a weight that means that you're not subjected to judgment and harassment from strangers. It means that you can go into almost any clothes shop and find something that will fit. You can eat a hamburger in public without people clearly judging your decision. You can wear something figure hugging without people's sneaks at you, and like, I just added the sin exactly what you said before kel is say that you don't work out, and it's okay. You know. The article goes on to say, when I speak about thin privilege, I'm talking about the advantages that thin people in Western culture experience, such as being assumed healthy and having a wide array of clothes available, as well as a body that aligns with dominant ideas of what is attractive.
Speaker 2: I'm so clever and so clever because it's so true when people comment, like on someone's body on Instagram, going unhealthy, I'm sorry, are you that person's doctor?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How can you assume that? Of course there is some face? But skinny does not mean healthy. I wrote a list of pop culture references I was having a little think about God memory Lane, and I want to read them to you, and I think that, like every single one of them, you'll probably go on my own. The discourse around Britney' stomach and her stomach in general, remember everyone was like a thousand crunches a day. Who didn't try to do a thousand crunches a day? That's ridiculous yep, the way that the Sweet Valley Twins size was always mentioned, and it was mentioned everywhere, and on that note hand spanned waste, which that was the description for every leading lady in books. Celery is calorie negative food. Kate Moss, nothing tastes as good as skinny feels. The chubby girl in Love actually the god, I know what.
Speaker 1: You know, Natalie who works there, the chubby girl who would we call her chubby?
Speaker 2: I think there's a pretty sizable ass there, yes, sir, huge thighs, the Kate Winslet jokes around Titanic Bridget Jones being called fat and like being the larger lady in the bunny outfit. The bunny outfit stands out to me everywhere.
Speaker 1: It looked like a common prostitute until that was actually the point.
Speaker 2: She has one hell of a body, I know, I know, Oh my god, that she was considered big, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's actually rude, Like she looked so fucking banging in that bunny costume.
Speaker 2: Alia McBeal Friends Dawson's Creek, Buffy, the oc where stars just shrunk before our very eyes.
Speaker 1: Wait, Ali mcbeill was so bad, like Porscha to ROSSI I remember she came out years later and talked about her eating disorders, and they all had them, yea, but she was the only one really to ever address it, And I just thought, imagine being an actress on that set. It would have been terrible.
Speaker 2: The Rachel Zoe aesthetic, I know, I know.
Speaker 1: And then New Caffany every hour that you can and drink lots of water.
Speaker 2: And Paris Hilton in low rise jeans. Those photos are just like imprinted on my mind.
Speaker 1: The way I worshiped Rachel Zoe and all of those same. I mean, I still do think that she's I love her style. I don't love her aesthetic, but I love her style. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. When I remind you all that, does it make you think that maybe things have gotten better? Because sometimes I worry that it hasn't, especially when I think about things like our current Zimbic obsession, or the AI trickery with face tune, or just like the exact same problems but masquerading as wellness.
Speaker 1: Oh the wellness thing. Yeah, for sure, Well on a zenpic, I do think it was like quite a step backwards. But I think only really for certain generations, like mainly the generations that spent their whole lives trying to be a size zero when their body type was not that, but the fact that this was like now achievable. I mean, I understand the appeal when you've spent your whole life trying to be a size and then there's an option, like I don't blame people for doing.
Speaker 2: That, but I think it's hugely problematic. I think it's fine. Yeah, if people need it for health reasons, fine, but I don't don't want my kids to walk out in a world where everyone's a tiny size when that isn't how the world is like.
Speaker 1: And that's where I think we're lucky, right because I do see growth and change in young It doesn't mean we would.
Speaker 2: Never take a zem pic they would be like why.
Speaker 1: I don't think it means that diet culture doesn't like suddenly exist. Of course, a new cohort of kids, right, and they're going to have other problems that are going to affect their generation way more so. It just means that they aren't the only voices in the room, and often they're not the loudest. So I think it's just more balanced or more balanced in the way of being more positive or neutral about bodies like, this is my body. I'm showing up every day and my body, and I think that is where it is. I think before it's been greatly unbalanced with media, with culture, with society, everything like that. But suddenly we're kind of flipped it on its head. So I've got a lot of hope for our kids.
Speaker 2: Me too, Me too. I also didn't realize that dit culture is rooted in racism. I had no idea. And it's funny how many things that are perceived as okay in Western culture and just the norm actually are because I've talked to you before about other different things that I read studies about. But this article by Marissa Crane was called dit culture is rooted in racism, white supremacy, and colonialism, and I knew that it was obviously directly connected to fat phobia. I didn't realize that fat phobia then had roots in the Transatlantic slave trade. So Marissa says, white European colonists labeled Black people as gluttonous, undisciplined, and hyper sexual, and held that their love of food made them fat. Meanwhile, the colonists considered themselves the superior race because of their self control and moderation, which caused them to be thin. Soon, fatness became associated with racial inferiority and immorality in the United States, and subsequently, bodyweight and size became a way for people to distinguish between slaves and non slaves, with a common belief being that fat people didn't deserve to be free. When I asked our shitters, ninety eight percent said that they had body image issues growing up and were affected by toxic diet culture, and ninety percent said they still suffered the same issues. And that makes me so fucking sad, because that's an awful lot of fabulous shitters walking around the world not feeling great about themselves.
Speaker 1: It doesn't surprise me, though, I was like, if you think about girlfriends, would that surprise you.
Speaker 2: I don't really talk about that stuff with my girlfriends.
Speaker 1: But just because you don't talk about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, you know, Like I mean, if it does, it's more so.
Speaker 2: Well. Me and my sister often say that we're like, why don't we have worth body image issues? Because our mum honestly like, yeah, And which is funny because sixty three percent of SIT has said that they've said something negative about their appearance in front of their child. But ninety eight percent said their care, which is super important because my mum, I mean, she didn't know any better. But we grew up in a house where she was always trying to lose weight completely. She did the fat Blaster pills and we would just laugh because we'd be like fat bluster and she'd do intimate fasting and she'd do all the remember the real replacement shakes. Oh yeah, exist those weird exercise things from the infomercials, like.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, the infomercials blaster and like the away.
Speaker 2: Yes, she poured them all. So me and my sister always like, why do we not have worse body imagicies? Because you should, but you don't, which is great. Oh it's that middle aged white man.
Speaker 1: Thing coming through, coming through shrunk.
Speaker 2: We asked people for their thoughts and experiences, like so when I did a little survey to the shit is, I could not believe how much much of the toxicity stems from within the home. So we can blame like it's funny. We can blame media all we want. We can be like goddamn a I and the bloody Kardashians or whatnot, But our issues actually seem to primarily come from the language our parents use, which is why it is so important that we try and break the mold for our own kids. This got the most responsible we've ever gotten from a survey, so I'll only read some. We'll use some of them for socials because it's just so interesting. People had so much to say about this topic. So the first open ended question was to tell us about your experiences with self image and your perception of toxic diet culture. And then the second question was what are you implementing in your house to help produce negative self talk slash body image in your child slash children. I love that we're going the problem, but we're having solutions exactly. Well, there's no point just winging. We need to come up with ways to make sure that it's a little bit better. So, okay, my grandma weighing me at visits and telling me how much I had to lose by the next visit, the shame. I'm very much aware on what we say and how we say things are impacting young children. What to avoid saying. There are so many more positive things that we can focus on that doesn't involve the way someone looks. Yes, I can never remember a time that both my mom and grandma weren't on some sort of a diet, constantly talking about their weight and ideal weight and how fed up they were with their bodies, despite both being very healthy, straight sized women. During my teen years, when I was taller and bigger than average, I was constantly wishing to be smaller and thinner like the popular girls at school. I actually don't remember too much of the diet culture in the media, apart from that fat photo of Jessica Simpson and she's put fat in like commas because it's quite ear. But I acutely felt the lack of body positivity in my family, and I still it's not just media. My mum still was always on a diet exercise regime, always up and down, and still comments on people like what they wear because they shouldn't wear this because of that body part, or they should wear this because of this body part. Being tall and curvy, there was never anyone like me on TV unless they were an athlete, but you never usually saw them dressed up. You always just saw them like in athletic gear, and that's what I d most of the time. My mother is the biggest culprit of forcing toxic diet culture on me. She recently said to me, I can't wait for you to start losing your baby weight so we can share diet tips. My son was six months old at the time. He's now thirteen months. I have yet to share dieting tips with her because I'm trying to love my body and respect the time it needs to heal after pregnancy, birth and raising a baby.
Speaker 1: Ah. Oh my god, Oh my god. That is I feel for her. Go her, though, stay to her, honestly to She's obviously had a fucking generation of this said to her her mom. But like, good on you for recognizing that you've birthed the baby just over a year ago. Like take your time, girl, whatever your body looks like, that's your body. Like it's fine.
Speaker 2: I've always thought I was fat, even before I got fat. The amount of crazy diets I saw my mom do was unreal. She's doing better now that she's ever done, which is good.
Speaker 1: But like good, that's really good.
Speaker 2: It's so hard for people. It's just the amount of these responses that involve the person's mother or parents, but mother in particular. Oh my goodness, if one thing everyone can take away from this episode. It's actually and I didn't even know this, and I was doing like I thought that I knew this, but I would have blamed the media mostly. Actually, it's what's happening in home, and it's a bit of a cop out to blame the media. Of course the media have a lot to answer for, But where.
Speaker 1: Are those mums getting the pressure from it. They're getting it from the media, from the world telling them to be a certain way.
Speaker 2: I know, but we now know better, So it's our job to change that for our kids. Our moms didn't know any better.
Speaker 1: We do, Yeah, definitely, And I think we're lucky in that media is different now as well, so independently kids will have more representation and diverse exactly all of that stuff. So all of those things working together is going I mean it already has.
Speaker 2: I'll pop some of the tips because we've got heaps of like different things that people are implementing in their house to reduce that negative self talk and body image. It's mostly just about like talking about food neutraally, don't commenting on people's bodies, and like not giving your child an appearance related compliment.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is a huge one for me. Like I never call ru beautiful. I never comment on that stuff, like I just don't want that to be an important thing.
Speaker 2: I think reading through the responses made me deaf definitely realize that I need to get better with my language around food at home. Yeah, because that's like, oh, it's so hard with toddlers because I'm like and also, you know me, I've got such a sweet tooth.
Speaker 1: Oh same, but I'm like, bro, you can't live on sugar, just because I know we need to do a follow up episode on like with a kid's dietician or something around, like or a kids suck and a dietitian around like what the yae language is, because we do want to say you shouldn't eat a chocolate bar, but we want to say it in the right way.
Speaker 2: Like, you know, the advice is always you know you sometimes food and always food, And it's like, have you met a toddler They want the sometimes food all of the time and you can't help it slip into no, that's a treat, like you're not having a treat for breakfast or I don't use the word bad food to be fair, but I definitely say treat all the time.
Speaker 1: Well, do you know, what's actually so annoying is that I have the biggest sweet tooth and Rue just does knock give a shit about sugar, and so I'm always trying to do shit with her, like I want to take her out for a treat, and she's rather shit about it.
Speaker 2: And I'm just like, can you just be a normal kid, and like, she's so funny, I'll come out with you. You can take me out for ice creams Helena.
Speaker 1: I often just go by myself with her and get myself on ice cream, and I'm just like, this is not as fun as sharing it with someone else.
Speaker 2: And do you feel a little bit ridiculous that you're the adult with the ice cream and your kids make make better choices?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yes, yes, definitely.
Speaker 2: Make better choices. Do you have any final thoughts? Because I have just been rambling this episode I found it so interesting, But I did say to Key, I was like, I'm gonna do this episode because I feel like you're still very don't need to be triggled by all of the different information and articles out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm glad that you did take the lead on the set for sure, or because I think that to be honest, and I think we are going to do this as a follow up episode. I think that it's interesting. With my first pregnancy, I really embraced my changing body and everything like that, but this time around it was really different, and I found myself like with a lot of negative talk, which has been really hard.
Speaker 2: Do you think that that could also have something to do with that you're feeling worse in general mentally because of the grief.
Speaker 1: I think it's a number of things. I think it's not being able to exercise, like, yeah, understanding, like saying to myself, hey, you're growing a human. This pregnancy is different. You are allowed to rest, like you don't have to move your body if you're not feeling up to it. But then it's also like, well, the result of not moving my body is that mentally I feel really down. So it's kind of like the cycle of like which then in turn, you know, you look different in clothes, and I was, you know, quicker to get out of genes time around, and I was really left with not a lot of options.
Speaker 2: Which is why you wore your fish clothing.
Speaker 1: No, the fisherman invest is Sheikh Kelly, even though you don't think so. So the point I was trying to make was I'm glad that you took the leader on this at this point in time, because I think that I'm definitely in one of those moments where I've become a little bit critical of my image, but I also am not. Like the interesting thing about it is you're aware of it. I'm aware of it, and then I'm also aware of the fact. Well, I think that I'm quite evolved in the body neutrality space, like you've gotten a good day, right, But I worry about women who aren't, and I worry about you know, pregnant women or women who are raising kids and them still struggling. So I think it's an important conversation to talk about, and hopefully we do do that.
Speaker 2: Definitely listen this topic. There's probably like bloody twenty episodes in it. I'm glad that you are open about it, though, because if you weren't, I would probably And like I said, it's not really something that me and my friends talk about, Like, I find it very hard to understand that someone that has so many interesting things about them and so much to live for, like, would waste too much time worrying about that. And that makes me sound evangelical, But he can back it up that I genuinely ninety five percent of the time do not have any body image issues.
Speaker 1: And that is such like honestly cal that is such a good thing to have. It's really difficult to understand when you haven't had to diagnose eating disorder, about how much of a hold it can really take on your life. I mean, people die from this every day, and which is kind of show how severe it is, like it is an illness, oh and oh absolutely, and there are varying degrees of it. But I think that it's just proven by the number of shitter is that responded. Actually, they were saying like it has been something that has always been there and changes only really just started to happen. So we are getting there. But I do love talking about this because I think.
Speaker 2: That I love juicy stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I think that the reason why I finally turned a corner was through the conversations that I had about it and challenging my beliefs and challenging why I think a certain way, and just being exposed to a different way of thinking, Like if you're living in an echo chamber of people talking about their weight and their diets and boring fitting into this, but that's what you're going to believe. I think it's really important, like to broaden the conversations that you're having, or what you're listening to or things like that, because that is what changes your actual psyche around how you think about things like body weight and type culture and body neutrality and just living in a body without any kind of value attached to it.
Speaker 2: Before we move on to recommendations, I want to ask you a rhetorical question. Well, everyone's playing a long at home. Yeah, imagine the life you could live if you just allowed yourself to weigh what you weighed?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, wow, all.
Speaker 2: Right, recommendations on the topic of today, I would like to recommend Loucinder Price aka Froom's new book All I Ever Wanted to Be Hot? If you've enjoyed this conversation, because oh my goodness, it was just like I also listened to it like on audible, and she is reading it, and it's honestly like listening to that Australian accent someone you know. I think she's around my age. Actually I don't know, I think so, I assume. So it was honestly just like reading my own experience in high school and oh my goodness, I just yeah, it was amazing. So that's my recommendation has got a very important one.
Speaker 1: Yes, So at the top of the episode, I talked about it being my mother in law's birthday and something that we are really passionate about as a family is just raising awareness for the Australian Organ Donor Register.
Speaker 2: Can you just explain to people, because it shocked me and I think it would shock a lot of other people how hard it is. It's really hard.
Speaker 1: So a lot of the time because people aren't registered. It comes down to the family at the end of someone's life who have to make that decision. And it's obviously a very emotional time. So even if you do get the family's approval to do that, so many things have to go right, like the organs have to be in good shape, the match has to be in good shape. There's paperwork that has to be done, and things can get delayed. It's just it's honestly a mirror call when an organ donation does happen.
Speaker 2: How many did you say had been donated successfully in the last year when you talked to that doctor.
Speaker 1: It was something tiny and I'm sorry sorry that shocked me start, but it was like in one year, I think they had maybe eight, and you just think of organ donation as being this thing.
Speaker 2: I just thought it was something. I thought eight would happen an hour. Like I just assumed everyone was an organ donator and that organ donating was just something simple. So this is so important.
Speaker 1: Process changed as well, Like I know, when I was younger in Queensland, going for your driver's license, you just tick a box, but now it's all been centralized and you have to go to Services Australia dot gov do AU and actually register, like it's a national register where you can record your organ in tissue donation decision, which means that they haven't on a file. You have to be over sixteen to do it, which most of our listeners definitely would be. But I think because it changed, even if you had previously ticked a box on whatever kind of driver's license form or something, that actually took away the register that you are registering for organis tissue donations. So I think that something that really stood out to me was just so how grateful the people at the organization were and how much just how precious they know that that gift can be.
Speaker 2: Oh it's the most heartbreaking gift. I just finished reading a book where the mother had to, you know, choose to donate her daughter's organs, and it was so horrible because I was reading it through the lens of the mum and she's like, oh my god, these people just asking me these questions like it's so insensitive, blah blah blah. But it's like, but they actually just they're just doing their job. They have to. That would be the hardest job, but they would be so grateful for the amount of lives that they can save.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, And honestly, like the amount of lives that are touched by a loved ones's organ donation is just incredible. And when you lose someone really in any way, whether it's like suddenly or a long illness or whatever, like you just need there to be like some happy news, you know. So for us, it's a family, it's been really important that we made that decision and and it's beautiful. There's like a little organ donation ceremony happening in the next couple of months in Sydney and Newcastle for the families of organ donator. So just even like recognizing that, like even though you'll love, especially like how they like live on you know, yeah because they do, Yeah, they do, and just how thankful those families are. You also find out about those families, you know, it's all very like you don't know their names or anything, but you know their location and you know the family that they haven't so you really understand like the depths of the impact. That's something like so small. It's not small, but like something so easy to do. Not easy either, but like something so selfless can.
Speaker 2: Have on this something selfless exactly because the yeah, the easy small they're huge, big decisions, but there's no alternative that wouldn't have that impact. So it's kind of like, yeah, it's hard. The language around it's very hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I know like culturally and some religions and stuff like. Of course there are going to be roadblocks if your beliefs don't allow you to do that. But if it's something you haven't thought about or considered before, I would definitely encourage you to at least read about it and make that decision because it is just such a gift. And I'll put the link to the Australian organ don't register in the show notes, so go and check it out and read all about it.
Speaker 2: Make sure that you're registered as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, do it, do it, do it.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for joining us today. Please, like I said at the top, make sure you rate and review us and share the pod on your socials. Send us a DM let us know what you want to hear. You can find us at Kiris, at Kelly Underscore mccaren, and at AESSR dot pot.
Speaker 1: This episode was produced by myself, Kiri Cells, and Kelly mccaren, with audio production by the lovely Maddie JOANNU. See you next week.
Speaker 2: She is bye bye