Speaker 1: Just because you do one thing that's different doesn't mean you need to do everything else. That is not a betrayal to either side at all. Because you are finding who you are.
Speaker 2: There is going to be someone or some group of people that are always going to understand you and love you.
Speaker 1: For you in permanence is something that I kind of struggle with because I want things to be permanent.
Speaker 3: But I feel so much better after I let it go.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't a waste of work, It wasn't a waste of time. It served its purpose.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Seas the Yay Podcast. Busy and happy are not the same thing. We too rarely question what makes the heart seeing. We work, then we rest, but rarely we play and often don't realize there's more than one way. So this is a platform to hear and explore the stories of those who found lives. They adore, the good, bad and ugly, The best and worst day will bear all the facets of seizing your yay. I'm Sarah Davidson or a spoonful of Sarah, a lawyer turned funt up who swapped the suits and heels to co found matcha Maiden and matcha milkbar Cza is a series of conversations on finding a life you love and exploring the self doubt, challenge, joy and fulfillment along the way. I have been busting to share this week's episode with you, guys, and if you've run into me at all since I met Gabe and Adam last December, I've probably already talked your ear off about them. I was lucky enough to meet this amazing couple during my very quick trip to la as we were on the same shoot together and had a lovely whirlwind few days as a trio. You can probably already tell that meeting new people and hearing all about their lives is one of my very favorite things, and these two are so fascinating, both separately and together. But our time as a trio was short, so you and me both are hearing all the finer details of their ways to ya for the first time, and after this chat, I love them even more. With gay being born without any limbs and then a opted from sour Paolo Brazil to Utah, and both Gave and Adam growing up in the Mormon faith, which came into conflict later with their sexuality, these two bring such unique and interesting perspectives to this chat on finding yourself and your Yay. Then, the story of them finding each other is a beautiful one, with their wedding taking place just before we met, launching Gabe into global TikTok fame and consequently our whole new career. I'll let them tell you the rest themselves. They are wise beyond their young years, with such beautiful messages about self acceptance, embracing your uniqueness, and building a strong relationship. I hope you're all as inspired and delighted by them as I am. Gabe and Adam, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having us so excited to be here.
Speaker 4: I'm so excited to have you guys, for everyone listening. I met this delightful couple during the well Wind trip to la in December for something we're still not allowed to talk about, but I cannot wait to share over the coming months. And we only spent a couple of days together, but I just found them so inspiring and I love their energy, and as soon as I left, I kind of missed you, guys. In any other circumstances, I would have come over to Utah to do this in person. But thank you so much. For joining this way. Nonetheless, well you did both promise me or tour of Vieuta's best and brightest. Actually, you know, you guys recommended to me that true crime podcast about the String of Medals. I listened to it all the way back on the plane and I was like, wow, you Toe gets a lot of action. No, I know, Uta has so much else going for it, including as the backdrop to your love story, which I can't wait to get into. And this is Adam's first podcast ever, so it's even more of a privilege. Thank you so much for joining. But first, I kick off every episode with a little icebreaker by asking what the most down to earth thing is about you? And particularly for you guys, a lot of people will have encountered you on social media and walked into your life at a chapter where you're married, you have a house, you guys have you know, got such a strong sense of self which stood out to me very early on, like so as soon as I met you. But it's easy then to forget that you've been through so many chapters to get here, and there will be so many chapters to come as well, and it's you know, it's easy to forget that for example, all three of us, so Pierre to be not wearing any pants for these episodes. So I mean that's.
Speaker 3: Something right handed.
Speaker 4: Well, maybe you guys can answer for each other, what do you what would you say is the most down to earth thing about the other one?
Speaker 3: Scared to see what you say?
Speaker 1: The most down to earth thing about Gabe? I think, well, I don't know if it's down to earth, but just one of my favorite things about him is that he's always looking for opportunities to bring other people together. Like we're always having people over at the house. He's always hyping other people up.
Speaker 3: He's always like.
Speaker 1: Wanting to share what he has with other people, and that kind of helps ground me because I'm always doing stuff, but I'm not with people as often as I would like that. He's always trying to gather people around him.
Speaker 4: Anyone listening. If you love love, get your two shoe box ready. These two are just secondly perfect for each other. Most people start bagging each other out, but you guys are just the sweetest. Yeah that right, Okay, what's the most down to a thing about Adam?
Speaker 2: I think the most down to earth thing about Adam would be his patience and his level of understanding and care for not only me, but everybody that comes around us and stuff like that. He's always very open and ready to learn and understand people and what they've gone through and what they're still going through, and keeping his heart open and his mind open. And I think it's very sweet.
Speaker 4: Oh you guys, it is so cute. It's ridiculous. You should hear everyone else's ants as it's like he's really gassy. Yeah, all of those beautiful comments about each other were all made under your ass. No, I definitely want to get into your beautiful love story. But the very first section of the podcast is called Your Way Ta, which is first to trace back all of the chapters of your life even before you met each other that kind of made you into the people you are today and led to the positions that you're both in today. Because, like I said before, I think it's easy to assume that you woke up with this sense of direction and purpose, or you woke up with this sense of confidence and knowing who you are to know who you want to end up with. You know, there's there's so many steps to get there. So I'd love to go back separately into how you started what your childhoods were like. And I know you both grew up in the Mormon faith, which is something a lot of our listeners might not have heard about before. So Gabe, maybe we could start with you. I know our stories share a common theme of adoption. You were adopted from sol Pallow, Brazil and into a family in Utah, So tell us about your beginnings.
Speaker 2: Well, I was adopted at nine months old from a Utah family from South Haula, Brazil, and I was born without orange or legs as well. And the family that I got adopted into they ended up having thirteen of their own biological children. And my adopted dad was a seminary teacher for thirty two years, which is a institute teacher that goes in and teaches religion pretty much to either the youth or even in some cases he went and taught the jails and taught the inmates and stuff like that. So I knew at a very young age that I was gay and that I was different, But growing up in a Mormon household and having my dad be a big, well known figure within our community and everything was kind of a huge no no to be gay and to be so open about it and flamboyant, and so there were lots of conversations and stuff like that where I was told not to do this, not to say that, not to act on that, and it kind of just became a rebellious pace for me to be who I was, whether that was either secretively or openly. And so I picked my friends very selectively, knowing whether or not they'd have my back, in understanding that I can only express myself with them and in certain moments, but with other people it kind of has to be very gated and guarded. And I came out to my parents when I was probably in the seventh grade for the very first time openly verbally with them, and they instantly shot it down and told me that it was not going to happen and that they were not okay with it. So I tried to gain in high school steal the same circumstances, and then when I turned nineteen, I decided that I wanted to move out on my own because I wanted to live a life that I wanted to live, not the life my parents want immediately live. And they always taught me to be extramely independent despite having their arms and legs, and always taught me to only rely on people when I really needed them the most, and so I became very independent mentally, emotionally, and physically with doing everything on my own as much as possible. And so when I did turn nineteen, I thought that I was ready, and so I texted my parents and I was like, you know what, I'm gay, I'm moving out. Either you're going to get on board, and if you don't get on board, then this while crow would be our last moment seeing each other really, because I don't want to keep faking that we're cool when we're not cool. And it was a huge eye opening moment for my parents that you know, well, we really did put so much blocking into our relationship with you because we didn't want you to be a certain way, but we also taught you to always follow your heart and be who you are. But the second you want to, we instantly tell, you know, mainly because of our religious beliefs and what we felt comfortable and safe with at the time, And so that really opened up and broke down a lot of boundaries that my parents had set for me and our relationship with each other. And now, as a twenty three year old adult.
Speaker 4: Quick interruption, I did not know Gabe was only twenty three at this point until he had said that, and it blew my mind. As you will hear, he has so many insights and experiences at such a young age. I'm nearly ten years older than him.
Speaker 2: So God, Gat, our relationship is everything and more that I ever even thought it would ever be, because now I'm married. And when I did get married growing up, I always thought that I'd do it all by myself, and none of my family would be there because they all grew up Mormon, and I thought that they would always just follow what my parents did and what my parents said. And so on my wedding day, I thought super emotional to see all fourteen of my siblings and my two parents and their nieces and nephews all a part of my wedding with their spouses and everything. And Chris was so beautiful to me to have their support and their love on that big day.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, Gabe, that is just so beautiful. I hadn't actually realized when we first met. Obviously, you guys have been talking about just having been married, and I didn't know that you'd both grown up in the Mormon faith, and I think it's a really beautiful story that it is possible, even if initially perhaps it doesn't go as well or as quickly as you might have hoped when you first share your sexuality with your family, that you can get to a place where it can be celebrated together, you can have your family members at your wedding. And for anyone else out there who, for reasons of religion or any other reason, perhaps a stricter family, or for whatever reason, if they find themselves in a position where their support network isn't on board straight away, I think it's really heartwarming to hear that that can change over time, even if not straight away.
Speaker 2: And I know that there are people who may be listening or watching that don't have the freedom that we have and the luxury that we have finally having our families on board with our relationship and with us as individuals living our lives as who we are. And I know that when I was in those moments, I relied a lot on my friends instead of my family, because those are the people who support me and love me for me and weren't trying to change me or talk me out of it. And so if you have those kind of people, then definitely stick to those people and know that sometimes it may not be in this life for your family to really truly understand you, but there is going to be someone or some group of people that are always going to understand you and love you for you.
Speaker 4: Oh. That is so beautiful and a really good reminder that for some people it takes a while, for others, it might not be ever in this lifetime that you get the acceptance from your family that you might hope for because we all have different values and perspectives, but that you're not alone in that experience either. And I'm so excited you have the platform you do because you are such a good spokesperson and role model for this kind of feeling. And something else that you're an amazing role model for, which is even more inspiring, I think, is that I asked you, you know, about your childhood and the challenges you face to get here, and the first thing you answered was about coming out as gay. It wasn't about having no arms and legs, which seems like the more obvious, kind of defining feature of your identity, but from the moment I met you, it just wasn't. And you know, Adam came with you but it was basically not necessary. You didn't need him to do anything, and we didn't talk about it. I didn't know what handheart syndrome was until I looked it up for this interview, because it's just not at the forefront of the experience of meeting you. And I think it's for that you're a wonderful role model that you didn't treat that as the first part of the most obvious part of your answer, because I think people tend to ascribe a part of your identity is the main thing that's interesting about you, but it doesn't have to be, and I love that. I think you're a really good role model for that. But of course it is part of your identity. So can you explain what impact it has had on getting you to this point and what the condition actually is.
Speaker 2: Well, handheart syndrome is a birth effect that only affects one in one million people just here in the United States alone. And so what it is is it a birth defect that affects the arms and legs or fingers and toes, or your job to be malformed or missing, And in my case, it's not having any arms or legs at all. And I know that there are some other people that I'm friends with that still have some form of foot or toe or arms still attached to them, that mine's completely rounded off on all four limbs and everything. And honestly, I personally have not found it to really affect me, just because I grew up learning that this is who I am and it's not going to change, and I don't need it to change. I need to just grow with it. And so a lot of people are always thinking that it's always going to to be a physical challenge for me all the time. But really, I grew up like this from day wind, so I don't know any different. And when I was younger, I went to speech therapy because I had a cleft palette that was inside of my mouth, and they didn't know that because usually your clup pallet is out on your lips where you can kind of see it more. And so I wasn't eating, I wasn't talking, and I was about two years old here in the United States, and finally we had somebody come over to our house and they shared a flashlight and they're, oh, he has a club out, but it's within his mouth. And so I had to go get surgery on that, and I was also doing physical therapy, learning how to walk and go up and down the stairs and stuff like that. And there was a place called Sharaner's Hospital here in Salt Lake City, Utah that takes care of people with different walks of life. And one day we were leaving. It was just my mom and I and I was sitting in the backseat and there was this veteran that had gone across a crosswalk in his wheelchair and he was missing part of his leg. And I looked out my window and I was like, man, that is so sad. And my mom just stopped and she's like, why is that sad? And I was like, because he was born with arms and legs and then randomly one day he was without them and is having to start from ground zero aware And for me, it's been my entire life and now he's having to start all over. And my mom was like, WHOA. Because I was probably only five years old when I had that realization. Oh my gosh, it didn't really hit me mentally and emotionally how different I was until junior high. And you get into the big fish bowl with all the piranhas that are willing to eat you alive. There are lots of days that I would come home sobbing my eyes out and locking myself in my bedroom because I was so mortified with the way that I looked, because of the people around me telling me that I wasn't good enough and that I was a waste of life and blah blah blah blah. And as a seventh grader, do you give into those and you believe them because you know no different, And you also don't want to reach out to your parents and tell them that you are being bullied and stuff. But I also had a brother who was the same age as me that was seeing a lot of this, and he was six foot seven, and so he would go and stomp out the bullies and everything. Don't pick on my brother, or he'd be like, why don't you just run them over with your wheelchair my dad over with my whelchair, which I definitely did a few times. There were lots of conversations that I have with my brother and he would just always tell me, you can't listen to those people. You know who you are and they don't know who you are. They're very immaturable. Bloh. But I ended up having to switch schools because it was getting so bad on my mental health, and I went to a charter school that focused on leadership and personal growth, and that really built me as an individual and prepared me to go back into the public school system, which got me into doing dancing, which was a huge creative outlet. And I think it's very useful for somebody who is different than everybody around them to have some sort of creative outlet, whether that's art or music or dancing, something that they can have that's their very own, but also brings a community of people that share that love and interest to help build them up and show them that these differences are what makes you a person. And so my senior year of high school, I was on the dance company team and we took a dance to State, which was a dance that I choreographed all by myself, which was about myself and people who have limbs, who constantly think that I need help, but I don't need help. And so I came out on the stage in a push wheelchair and I get out of the pushwere wheelchair, and then they put me back into the push work cure and then I get back out and then we start dancing into sync and we realize that it's okay to be different and our difference is are what make a shine and everything. And so I was trying to copy his movement even though I didn't have the limbs to show it. I was doing in my own way, and then he was trying to copy my own movement with his limbs and show that at the end of the day, and really, we all have a disability, whether that's mentally, physically, or emotionally, and as society we need to learn to express those and show that it's okay to be different and the beautifulness is in being different. It is so needed and so wanted. What that's with, religion, sexuality, disabilities, whatever it may be, to be shined and shown that being different is okay. And right now on social media, I'm learning that it's not being taught very much within schools or in the workforce or anything like that about other people being different than the person that you are and learning to celebrate that and own it and really love another person for being that. So that's why I love that I have the platform and the voice that I have on TikTok, even though some days I want to crawl in a hole because the comments are and super out of this world. Fay, Oh my god, it's crazy teaching me and making me learn and grow and have more empathy for other people who have it far worse than I do, and it's what keeps me wanting to go more and more so that it's going to get a going to be better again at some point, kind of like that Beyonce song, I was here, and I want to make sure that I was here, I was known, I was seen, and that I made my imprint on the world and showed my difference and express that and showing other people that it's okay.
Speaker 4: And you are absolutely doing that. I'm so excited that you have the platform you have and it's grown so much because I think you are really spreading that message for so many people. And that's what this show is all about, that your life and what makes you yay in that life is meant to be fundamentally different to everyone else. What's one person's joy is another person's nightmare, and the world wouldn't work if it was any other way. And what's interesting is that a lot of people who have come on the show have that same experience as you, that their difference whether it's physical ability, gender, sexuality, or race. Even when they're younger, they don't even notice really that it's a difference. Kids are just so innocent they see the world in a particular way. And then it's later in life, in high school, in that Piranha's den, that we learn that difference is bad. We learn that behavior to think that we need to suppress the things that make us unique, which means it's something that we should unlearn, which I think is where you, as a role model, really come in and are doing some wonderful work. But before we get into how you propelled onto the scene and built the platform that you have, Adam, it is your turn. What was your childhood like? What was the Mormon faith like for you? I read that your first job was actually in dominoes, and then now you've ended up in nursing, working in hospitals, and I know that the past couple of years must have been an absolutely manic time for you in that role. So tell us about your path.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love Yeah, So growing up there was a lot of stuff going on underneath the surface that I didn't realize wasn't normal.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So I'm not gay, I'm by and so I just assumed everyone was the same because I grew up with undiagnosed like anxiety, like just a bunch of just turmoil, I guess you could say. And so I just, you know, like you were saying earlier, were blinded by our own experience. I thought everyone had the same experience as me, so that everyone was attracted to everyone, But people just had straight relationships because that's, you know, how families. I grew up in a traditional family. That's how you have families, and you move on and you move forward and everything. I didn't realize that some of the things I did as I grew up were like coping mechanisms. I would sneak out of the house, not to do anything.
Speaker 3: Like scary or illegal.
Speaker 1: It was to like run two or three miles just to get rid of some excess energy. Or there'd be nights where I'd sleep fifteen twenty minutes, but I'd wake up go to school the next day like nothing was different. I grew up with migraines like almost every day, like it was just you know, I just thought everyone dealt with it the same way I did and pretend not pretended like it was okay because to me it was okay. And so when I went on, like you were saying earlier, I grew up LDS.
Speaker 3: And so I went on an LDS mission to South Africa and.
Speaker 1: That kind of threw me in an environment where I couldn't do a lot of those coping mechanisms.
Speaker 4: Adam, sorry to interrupt. What's LDS standfoard just for the leasteness.
Speaker 1: It's the shortened version of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, which is nicknamed more because they read the Book of Mormon, so it's like and it's just another nickname. So yeah, LDS stands for Latter Day.
Speaker 2: Saying, which now they have changed it to where you have to say the fule thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well they recommend it. They don't like make you have to a bunch of details. They want it to be like more known.
Speaker 1: One of the rumors of the LDS church is that they don't worship Jesus or God.
Speaker 3: It's Joseph Smith. So they just want to.
Speaker 1: Make sure that Jesus' name is in the name so that doesn't get lost. But anyway, so yeah, I grew up LDS. When I went on the LDS mission, I lost a lot of those coping mechanisms and so.
Speaker 3: That like anxiety, the turmoil, everything just bubbled up to the breaking point you know that a lot of people have.
Speaker 1: Fortunately, I was in a space where a lot of the thoughts and a lot of the like impulses to cause self harm or like just escape into like all these things, I wasn't able to do.
Speaker 3: So I was able to come home and get the help I needed. And it was just kind of.
Speaker 1: A really weird time in my life because that was when I was twenty. I was a whole different person than I was before that because I did everything I did before that wasn't necessarily expectations that I was trying to meet. Instead, it was just going with the flow, saying, oh, everyone.
Speaker 3: Does these but they just do.
Speaker 1: Something else instead, and I was I was okay with that. But coming back home and finding the help that I needed, learning that we all have different experiences, learning that I don't need to feel this way like I'm an actual like person myself and it's okay to be that really opened up a lot of opportunities for me, and it really allowed me to be able to find out who I was, because I didn't know who I was before I was a product of the people around me, and so it was really cool to be able to just kind of try something and give myself the opportunity to be honest with myself for the first time, to be like, do I actually enjoy this or am I following the impulse of those around me?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: And so when Gabe and I met, it was a really cool time in my life because I was very secure in myself. I had started dating men and women, like I never really dated before I was twenty either, because it just, you know, I had other things I was doing. It just wasn't a big interest. But then it was interesting in that aspect too, because I'd get a different reaction when I was telling a story about a date I went on with the boy versus a date when I went on with a girl, and it really frustrated me.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like what we were.
Speaker 1: Talking about earlier, where there's more to us than this one specific part. Like Gabe, we were saying, there's more to him than just what he looks like, and then mine was there's more to me than just my sexuality because it wasn't about the date. When I said, oh, he and I went and did this instead, it was like, wait, you did, guys.
Speaker 3: That's when they.
Speaker 1: Started going like, yes, queen, like all this around me, and I'm like, that's not.
Speaker 3: Cute. I don't want that.
Speaker 4: I am not the queen in this relationship.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 4: I actually remember when you told me you were by and you were like when I was younger, I just didn't know that everyone wasn't like that, and I just had this image of you and you're so sweet, just being like, why can't we all just love each other?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Baby, why can't we all just get along?
Speaker 1: I think I still like that, And I think that whole attitude is what like it was saying earlier, how he likes how I'm to learn about people. It's I didn't know there was other people out there. I thought it was all me in a different shell, you know. And so it's just really cool to be able to like learn about other people and like see if what they're doing is something that I want to do too.
Speaker 3: Like, it's just been a.
Speaker 1: Really cool experience the last like six or seven years. This last couple of years with COVID though.
Speaker 3: Has really kind of shaken that.
Speaker 1: And so I think I'm about ready to start another like finding out who I am, and it's like I haven't lost who I am. I'm still really like myself, but it's really hunkered me down to just like doing things around the house. I don't have that urge to go hang out with my friends like I used to, or that urge to like go to a concert or even like go anywhere public.
Speaker 4: And so it's just any people, just anything at all.
Speaker 2: I think that, yeah, it sucks, but it's going to be fun.
Speaker 3: We're all going to be rediscovering it together.
Speaker 4: I think totally. I love about both of you that a lot of people come on the show and their pathway is all about and first I was five and I wanted to be a doctor, and then I got to six and I was like, no, I want to be a teacher. And then at nine I was like, I want to be a lawyer, and then I became a lawyer. Like it's often their identity is so wrapped up in what they do, not who they are. And the original reason why I started c ZA was because I want to know who people are. I don't want the first thing that you say when you meet someone to be Hi, what do you do? I want it to be high. Who are you? What do you find interesting? What are your values? What do you want to you know? What you want your legacy to be in this world? But I didn't have to ask either of you that because you both first went into who you are and what you do is not really even figured into the equation, which I just find so refreshing because it's so rare that productivity isn't your entire personality or lifestyle.
Speaker 3: It stresses me.
Speaker 1: Out want it to be my whole personality.
Speaker 4: But that's so good around, which is kind of how it should be right work, as you know we have. I think this generation has this idea that you have to be passionate about your work, otherwise you shouldn't be doing it. But sometimes work is just to support the life of who you are when you're not working. It shouldn't necessarily be the other way around, but it's become that. So I love that you guys have such a healthy, like a head on your shoulders about the separation between those two identities. And before we go onto how the chapters have sort of merged since you guys have met and followed in love and on very typical gay time, have done it all in like twelve months, which I think is amazing.
Speaker 3: People here get married so quick.
Speaker 1: My parents their first date to their wedding day was ninety days. They were engaged two weeks after a meeting.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Well, you guys have Utah and gay time, so it's like Utah gay time. It is just like so you might as well have done in like two days. You know, just get it done, Get it done. But before we move on to the love story, I think what's really interesting with you two is you both grew up in the Mormon faith and seem to have had very safe and loved childhoods and still get on with both of your families even though you've since come out. I think a lot of people assume that if you leave a tight knit community united by values, whether that's religious or otherwise, but particularly religious, that it's black and white, and that you would be you know, like, I'm so glad to not be Mormon anymore and to leave going to the church. And you know, I think it's not that simple. I think it's possible to move on from a chapter of your life and maybe not be part of that faith anymore, but not regret it either, and not think that none of it was good for you in that chapter. I think you can move on from a chapter without regretting it or without thinking it wasn't the right thing for you.
Speaker 1: Then.
Speaker 4: So do you guys look back on, you know, being part of the raised in the Mormon faith fondly? I think there's a book, Ah God, what's it called Educated by Tara Westoiba that covers that gray area really long.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of hard for one thing too, because, like you're saying, a lot of people do think it's black and white, especially here in Utah, because there's such a di dichotomy.
Speaker 5: Diiconic dichotomy, because as like, growing up in the church, you're told that it's the only true church, and you're kind of this is kind of stretching it, So don't take.
Speaker 1: This like word for word. But there's a lot of phrases that are part of the church that when you're you're a kid can kind of be taken as a victimization of themselves and so it becomes a very much like them and us. And so when I saw a lot of my friends like start to leave the church and explore other lifestyles and other things, it was very like we're one way and then we have to swing all the way. We can't just like dabble and find out what is ours or not. It's all acceptance either way. You can't be somewhere in the middle. And that was really hard for me too, because that was my first reaction. I still have a very good relationship with my family and with the churches, like the membership. Maybe not on the whole, but like I do think the people around us who are members of the LDS faith are trying to do their best with what they have, and so I don't ever hold it against someone if they mentioned that they're a part of the church or what. I just don't go to church. I've never been a very religious person. I've been spiritual, but I.
Speaker 3: Don't like ritual. I don't like I call it some.
Speaker 1: Poetry, you know, or some scripture, because a lot of that can get lost, the meaning behind it, can get lost in the words or in the motions. And I want to feel things for what they are instead of for what I expect them to be.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: And so that was something that I had to break through as I was figuring out, like I mentioned before, if I like something or if I didn't that I didn't automatically swing all the way the other way like some of the people.
Speaker 3: Around me have.
Speaker 1: But I guess my advice for those people that are listening that feel like it is all or nothing, like it doesn't have to be. Just because you think, or you expect, or the people around you have enjoyed something doesn't necessarily mean you have to participate. And just because you don't participate in something doesn't This is a lot of words that I'm trying to like put piece together at the same time. But just because you do one thing that's different doesn't mean you need to do everything else. And that's not a betrayal to either side. That is not a betrayal to either side at all.
Speaker 3: Because you were finding who you are, you're not.
Speaker 1: Finding out anything else besides.
Speaker 4: That so true, and I think something that I try to emphasize on the show is that life really unravels in chapters. It's not just one book where you have to decide something when you're young and then stick to that for the whole rest of your life, like or you choose one career and that has to last you forever. It's okay if you close one chapter and start a totally different one without regretting the one before, or without thinking that if there was anything bad about it or casting judgment on it. It's okay if you know that did serve you well when you were younger. And then you just decide, Okay, this isn't me anymore, and you close it and you slowly move on to the next one. And same with relationships. It's the same thing. I think it's possible to not want something anymore without regretting it. And I think a lot of people would struggle with that concept, particularly in terms of something where their values change as they get older, and then their values are no longer consistent with an earlier chapter. They tend to not be able to acknowledge that there are good things in some tougher chapters that you end up leaving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in Permanent is something that I kind of struggle with because I want things to be permanent, and so like, I'll try to set things up for what they are, and so when it's time to let go of something, I'm like, that should have been permanent, and it's just like I don't have to let.
Speaker 3: It go, but it's trude.
Speaker 1: I let it go, and it wasn't a waste of work, It wasn't a waste of time. It served its purpose and now it's time to upgrade, you know, like when the new phone comes up, a new pair of shoes, like work with it, Like just enjoy what you have now, enjoy.
Speaker 4: The new I always say, nothing is ever a waste if you learned something from it. So even if it was a chapter that you absolutely hated and you never use that skill set again, if it teaches you what you don't want, that still gets you a step closer to what you do want. So a lot of people look back at chapters of their lives and they're like, oh, I was you know, like me, I was a lawyer for ten years of my life studying to get there, And people like, do you think that was a waste of time? I'm like, absolutely not. I wouldn't be where I am without that ten years. So how could I ever regret even though I didn't stick with it, obviously, Like, how could I regret that it taught me what I didn't want and it made me who I have become. So yeah, I think if you look at life that way, you live without a lot of regret because you're sort of like everything has a purpose in getting you in all those little dots connecting, which connected so beautifully when your paths collided, the ultimate Parthia to each other. How did you guys meet? I hear your first date was like a proper like three pm to two am situation. Next minute Adamson drops to one knee and has proposed, and then you're having the wedding.
Speaker 1: Of the year.
Speaker 4: So you guys meeting each other is like a fairy tale. Like I feel like you're both just two jigs or puzzle pieces that fit each other's everything so well. And from the minute I met you, I was like, these guys have something so good, Like you have such a good balance between supporting each other in each other's things even though they're so different, but also having independence, Like I love that you know, Adam, you go hiking and Gabe can't always go hiking with you, but you pick a flower for him every single time you go on a hike, which I just think is so beautiful, Like little things like that. You guys have so much independence, like and Gabe has his whole TikTok career about Adam's kind of like part of it, but like not because that's you know, I don't know. I just think you guys had such a perfect match. So tell us the love story and how you got to this beautiful moment today where you're renovating your house together, which is why Adam could just paint all over his hands and face.
Speaker 1: So the time that Gabe and I like met and first started talking, it was actually on Tinder, which is kind of embarrassing, but.
Speaker 4: It's the greatest.
Speaker 1: It's twenty twenty. Well, it was twenty twenty when we met. Yeah, it was twenty twenty when we started talking. And so yeah, it's the like with the new normal, I guess to meet online.
Speaker 4: But totally that's how it's done.
Speaker 1: Now. I had just gotten out of a relatively long relationship and had been single for a minute and thought it would be good to get jump back in the dating game. And so I was walking on my way to work and I pulled out Tinder and he was the first face that popped up, and I started scrolling through his pictures and I just had that like jump in my chest and in my throat, knowing that this was someone that that was important.
Speaker 3: It didn't tell me that it.
Speaker 1: Was, you know, soulmates yet or anything. But it was definitely like that feeling that I get when I'm about to meet someone that's going to be important to me in my story. And so I was looking through his pictures again because I was going to swipe right, but got that feeling not yet, which I thought was weird considering the other feeling I had just gotten right. And so I was like scrolling through his pictures again and that's when I noticed he didn't have arm or legs, and anyone in that situ suation would have the whole like is this a deal breaker moment? And so like I moled it for a minute, I was like, no, absolutely not. Whatever happens happens, like we'll just we'll just we'll just take it as it counts.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 1: I worked all day that day, then I went to bed that night, and then onto work the next day, like exactly twenty four hours later, I had that feeling.
Speaker 3: To just pull out my phone and swipe. So I pulled him up. He was still I had screenshot at him.
Speaker 1: I'd like done everything to make sure every plant him that he would disappear, and so I swiped right, and it was a swipe and type, you know, like you swipe right and it's an immediate match to type.
Speaker 4: And so no, I don't know with my husband, Sin's before the app, so I have no idea.
Speaker 1: I made up the pree swipe and type, so I don't even know if anyone else knows what that is.
Speaker 3: So it's fine. So it's a swipe and type.
Speaker 1: And so I did this cute little message and he immediately responded, which I think set the energy for the rest of the relationship.
Speaker 3: It was just like immediate back.
Speaker 1: And forth, like we were just like just getting to know each other. It was it was a great time. I had a trip planned that weekend and so our first date wasn't for another week. But after we had been dating for a little bit, we decided to look back at our messages and he had snuck a message in before my first one, and so his was a swiping tight too. We had swiped at the exact same second.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that is so cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we know it was meant to be. There's something or someone out there like forcing us to and it's been perfect.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh. And I just love so much that you know, people are like, oh love that best sign like doesn't really happen, but obviously I think when you're really connected to someone, it does. And when you can turn that into a conversation and then turn that into a date, and then you know, like I understand the whole, Like why waste time, particularly in the middle of a pandemic. It's like, if you found someone that you love to spend twenty four seven with and who makes you feel like a better person and opens up the world to you, Like, why are you going to waste time?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, So how was it for you, guys? Because I think if you haven't lived with or had a close friend who's had a physical disability before, I feel like the first time you broach a lot of things like I think some of my friends who have physical disabilities or who can't do certain things independently, but you can do everything else independently. I get kind of awkward sometimes about when I offer help or when I don't offer help without seeming like, you know, without doing the wrong thing. You just want to do the right thing. You don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable. The first date and then how that unraveled into like we're dating and then we're moving in together. How did you guys navigate all that?
Speaker 3: That's another one for you, another one for me.
Speaker 1: Okay, well I guess I'll keep doing all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was something that I thought about.
Speaker 1: You know, my go to first date has always been a coffee shop because we can both drive there independently. We've already paid for our drinks and so, and it's public. It's safe for both people because one I don't want the other person to feel intimidated. I don't want to feel intimidated. And if they suck, I can leave, Like it's not like we have to work for the chet and I have to drive home awkwardly to Yeah, and so it was. It was the coffee shop date, and I was I had to pick him up, like obviously. So I went and picked him up, and I just tried to make it as normal as possible. And I told him right off the bat too. I was like, just just to kind of help me know his limitations and give him a window of opportunity to explain them to me. I was just I'm going to assume you can do everything and tell you tell.
Speaker 3: Me you need help.
Speaker 4: Oh good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so I just kind of you know, made it like anybody else. The only thing that I did of my own volition was push his wheelchair, like that's the only open doors. But that's something I would do for any date at the time. And then if he needed something, he asked for it. And I think that's kind kind of just how it's been our whole relationship.
Speaker 3: Not that I'm like, do it yourself, but.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to assume until you do it. Yeah, and I've been surprised because I've had to do hardly anything.
Speaker 3: The dishes.
Speaker 4: You literally said that to me the first time. You were like, I do know things, basically, Yeah, like everyone is always surprised.
Speaker 2: I could fall laundry too. I just don't.
Speaker 3: You can't. Okay, Well we've got to. We've got to reach up of the bag.
Speaker 4: Gabe. How about you? I feel like you seem so balanced and after I'm sure having done a lot of work, feel very secure in your abilities and have so much independence and have obviously I mean, guys, I can't believe it's taken me this long to get to because the story is just so interesting. But if you haven't seen Gabe on TikTok, he does make up better than ninety five to ninety nine percent of the population without arms can put lushes on, Like there is basically nothing you can't do, and I love I asked for Game's email to send him the questions for this interview, and it's limitless, but like limb itless, which is just amazing. I love it because I'm like, he is limitless and liveless, so this is just amazing. How did you get to a place where And I think everyone has this situation in relationships often where the gaps that we find in ourselves we often try and fill them with other people when we're first dating, and it's hard to just figure out who you are, be comfortable in you, and then find a healthy relationship in that. Did you ever find like that you've saw validation and other people? Has it been awkward for you the first time you go on a date and you're explaining what you can and can't do, Like, how have you navigated the dating world? And what was it like then to meet Adam and be like, this is my person except when we get married, he can't take my name because then it'd be Adam Adams and it'll be really awkward.
Speaker 1: Think it would be cool as hell, but he thinks it's not the vibe.
Speaker 4: Adam Adams is such a vibe. It would be a It would be amazing.
Speaker 3: I go back to school and get my degree.
Speaker 1: I'll be doctor Adam Adams Like, how lad would that be?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Well I believe it could still happen anyway, Gabe, how has it been for you and what was it like to meet your person?
Speaker 2: Well, I first started dating when I was probably like fifteen, and so I kind of wasn't new to it when it came to Adam that still everybody gets as butterflies. And what if he doesn't like me? What if this goes wrong? What if I'm too heavy for him to lift? What if he grabs me awkwardly to pick me up? What if I fall out of my wheelchair in front of him? And all these different tings on, like the first date not just offend that a bunch of other guys and stuff like that. But one thing that stood out to Adam when we were dating, Like on our first date, we went to that coffee shop, and in that coffee shop you could play games, and I was like, I don't want to touch any pieces with my mouth.
Speaker 3: This was before COVID too, so it's not just like COVID in general. If it was.
Speaker 1: During COVID, it would not have been in the coffee shop in a public place with germs and pieces to touch, Like, yeah, just just to throw out there.
Speaker 2: If I don't own it, it's not like mine personally, I won't touch it with my mouth, but if it is mine that I'll touch it with my mouth because I know exactly where it's been and I can't. And so we walked in and we started to look at the game selection and everything, and Adam, without like asking or anything to straight off about, was like, Hey, could I get a cup for him to play this game for like rolling dice and everything. And I was like, oh, wow, he's already thinking like two steps ahead of me of like how could he play the game and everything, And so that really stood out to me. And then when we were driving home from the coffee shop up it was probably like four thirty something, yeah, a couple, and I thought he was just going to drop me off at home and go on about his day and never really talk to me again, because that's what I was used to in the dating scene, where guys just being curious of what it would be like to wannagate with me or try and get in my pants and do all these things. But with Adam it was completely different. So we started driving back to my house and I was like, well, it was really fun to see you. Thank you, and he's like, what are you talking about? And I was like, you're are done right, and he's like, oh, I want to come over. Let's hang out more. And I was like, oh, okay. And I was living with my brother and my sister in law and their four kids at the time, and so I texted my sister in law because I'm super close to her, and I was like, hey, mar D, it's going to come over. And she's like, oh, perfect, I'm making a big meal for dinner. He should stay over for dinner. And I was like, no, he doesn't need to.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, you met the family on day one.
Speaker 1: None of this was expected by the way, you know, like I go into every first date giving it the option of being longer or as short as five minutes, and so this was just like going with the flow, Like I genuinely wanted to meet everybody and see his life and get to know him a little bit and well a lot a bit, but at.
Speaker 2: The coffee shop, we FaceTime my mom and my aunt and my sister because my sister at the time was serving a LBS mission a few states away from us, and so every Tuesday week her and so we happened to do the at the same time.
Speaker 3: We were at the coffee shop, I met everybody.
Speaker 2: So we met my mom and my aunt that day, and then we went to my plust that I was looking at with my sister in law and my brother. And when we first walked into the door, I hadn't asked him to stay for dinner yet, it was my sister in law was like, Hey, do you want to stay for dinner?
Speaker 3: And I was like, would you like to stay forever? And he's like yeah, so sorry kidding.
Speaker 2: And so then all the kids were jumping on him and everything. That like really stood out to me that my nieces and nephews really liked him as well, and he was really good with them, impatient and fun with them, and so I was like, oh, okay, that's kind of cute. And then my thirteen year old niece at the time was like, you guys want to go watch Kardashians downstairs with me? And I was like, yeah, sure, and Adam have never seen the Kardashians really, so we started watching The Kardashians and were like bench probably like six episodes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then he was getting ready to go like two in the morning, and I was like, well, it's good to see you, thank you. And he's like, oh, I'll be back tomorrow. And I was like tomorrow and he's like, yeah, I just got to go home and sleep and go to work and everything. Then I'll be back. And I was like, oh, okay, and he's like, do you want to like have an actual sleepover? And I was like yeah, sure, And so in my head I was like freaking out. I was like, Oh, she's going to see that I snore. He's going to see that. I knew that he was definitely a keeper, and then laid down our relationship before I had ever met him. When I was I think sixteen, I had a dream about the guy that I would marry and what my wedding would be like and everything, and it was always a guy waiting for me at the end of the aisle. He had glasses, he had brown hair, he was cute, he was funny, but his face was always very blurred out, but always envisioned what I was going to wear as well for my wedding outfit. So I sketched my wedding offit years and years and years before our actual wedding, and I just needed somebody to create it for me. And so a few months before the wedding, I reached out to a bunch of designers on TikTok that weren't like super well known, and seven of them got back to me out of ten, and there was one that I just instantly connected with that was from California and she was the sweetest, sweetest, sweetest person I've ever met in my life. And I sent her my designs and everything and she's like, oh, I could easily delete delete that because I in that. And I was like, oh my gosh, really and she's like, oh, yeah, for sure. And so we like went over designed details and then we went and met each other and it was very cool because it was also during the height of COVID as well, and so we wore a mask. We met in a hotel. Adam went down to the lobby for like two hours while we did the dress fitting and everything, and we just really connected to dress fitting and everything and walking down the aisle. It didn't hit me during the wedding, like prep and everything, that I was about to marry the man of my dreams and that this was my dream wedding and I was going to have everybody that I loved and wanted there and there and so walking down the aisle, I was probably just a few steps from Adam and we both locked eyes, and I think it hit us both and we both start getting tearied eyed and choking up. And I told Adam might speak for the wedding, and I was like, if you don't cry, well, I walked down the aisle, I'm going to turn back around and we're gonna all again.
Speaker 3: I cried the whole night.
Speaker 2: Then I was like in the moment, I was like, wait, I can't cry. I have makeup on, it's gonna smear and everything. I bo Adam and like, wiped my tea.
Speaker 4: You your tea.
Speaker 3: He was going to complain about his makeup if I didn't.
Speaker 4: Such a diva.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was definitely my dream very till wedding, and I'm so happy that all the pieces connected and that I had Adam to the my forever stouse and my family there and his family there and a few close friends and everything just super cute.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, you guys the wedding photos and videos and you showed me the sketches and your fittings and it was just gives me goosebumps, Like watching you guys dance, and I think you posted a video the other day of Adam putting you into a dip in the middle of one of your dances, and it was just like you've like thrown your whole head back and it's just this beautiful, y, antique moment that just looked so filled with joy but also propelled you into internet fame. Now as this incredible creator who has also become very very well known for your outstanding makeup skills. You now have how many millions of followers around the world.
Speaker 1: Two point two million or you hit two point two.
Speaker 4: So what has that been like? Like, I feel like a lot of people build their audiences gradually over time, and they have time to adjust to what it means to be in the public eye. Like they get small increments and as they grow, they get a tribe and then they you know, get to figure out trolling and they get to figure out content and managing balance between real life and content like they have time to do that. But because it's happened so fast for you and for both of you as a unit, like people love you together, how have you adjusted to that?
Speaker 1: How?
Speaker 4: I mean, obviously it gives you a wonderful platform for visibility and to spread your message about embracing your difference and uniqueness. But I'm sure it also comes with challenges as well, with privacy and dealing with some of the terrible people who live on the internet. You know, how are you adjusting to this fame all around the world? Like you literally said to me when we're away, I'm obsessed with this couple Compia and Kine from Australia, And I told them and they were like, yeah, we know, Gabe, And then like all away from Utah, you know this Australian couples, Like yeah, we follow them, Like that's insane.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I know it's super cliche to say, but it really happened over a few nights. And it all happened on our honeymoon, really, And we had our honeymoon in New York and I think it was probably like our third day, really, we went to the walk around like the Tracks in New York and there's like this bridge that's like built in two tracks that people can walk and tour around.
Speaker 1: So it's called a park that used to be a subway thing about ground and so they have tracks on it. That's why he's calling it.
Speaker 4: Oh I know, it's the high Line.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 4: And Chelsea Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we were doing that and there were a bunch of people that would stop us and be like, you're that couple from TikTok. Oh my gosh, we just saw your wedding video. Oh my gosh, we just saw your husband thirty in the pool. Oh my goshs oh my gosh, you do this? Oh my gosh, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: I'm my home.
Speaker 2: It's like, what the sick is going on? And the funny thing is that Adam also posted content.
Speaker 1: On his and for about six hours I had more views than he did, so I was like, who's the influencer now.
Speaker 3: I was so proud of that.
Speaker 1: And then like like after four hours he immediately like doubled it.
Speaker 4: And I think it's at like sixty full million views or something.
Speaker 2: Now insane, And even just coming home, it didn't hit me like mentally and emotionally like how far I come in just my it's time until all the real negative comments came in. And I know that people who don't do social media always say, don't look at the comments, don't look at the comments, But as a social media influencer, it's part of your job to kind of see how people are taking your content, whether they love it or they hate it, the good and the bad, and it's going to take central armumental and emotion because sometimes it's content that I really, really really love and I pour my heart into it, Like there was one that I posted that was about my sexual abuse story and coming out of that, and it was instantly flooded with negativity and being made fun of and having stitches and duets. Not even the fact that it was sexual abuse, but the fact that I was born without arms and legs and my physical disability, And that's kind of what a lot of my videos have been about. And sometimes it's not even about my sexuality. It's really just back that I have no arms and no legs, and people think that it's so funny to call me a nugget or a vegetails character or this and that, this and that. So I've kind of gotten to the point where I'm on the TikTok creator fund and I'm also under management from the UK, and I will let my content go for about three days and then after that three day mark, I will turn off the wedding stitches and commenting because after the three days, I get my bag of money. And as dirty as that sounds, it's worth it to me to be able to make a living and know that I somehow deserve the income that I'm coming from. The negativity that comes up with it, but also there is always a lot of positivity that outlaighs the negativity and you just to fund it. And that's within the LGBTQ plus community, the disability community, the Latin ex community, and just other people that really want to love and understand the appreciation of what I do on a daily basis, whether that's showing my independence like going up and down the stairs. There were a lot of comments like why would you buy a level home? Is your husband going to carry up those stairs? And it was a big conversation with him and I that if we were going to buy a stair hall, I was going to go up and down the stairs. And it's not that I learned to go up and down the stairs and one night. I've been going up and down the stairs my entire life. But we moved into an apartment where it was just one flour and so I wasn't having to go up and downstairs for a year and a half and I kind of actually missed it. And when we moved into this house, my bathroom or I s our bathroom. I like to have my own bathroom.
Speaker 4: I see how it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not a lotid shower. It's a tub shower combo. So I had to use a stool outside of the tub and then a stool with inside of the tub to get in an out. And at first We're like, well, we need to rip this out and turn it into a walking shower so it's easier and more convenient. But now having it, I'm like, no, I actually love the test my independence every day of having to get in and that shower, even if it takes a few more steps in a few more minutes. I enjoy and appreciate the hard work that I've had to do over the years to get to where I am physically to get myself up and down the Sperris in and out of the shower and up on the toilet, off the toilet and dress and brush my teeth and brush my hair and do my own makeup. And I think when I was living at the apartment, I kind of took that all for granted, and I didn't realize that until we moved into this counse and I was like, oh wow, I actually really really appreciate all the hard work that I've done over the years. And I don't really give myself that pattern on the back because once again, it's my everyday life, and so it becomes the everyday norm for me. I don't second guys, I don't set or anything. And when I was eighteen, I went to New York Fashion Week and I walked as a model, and I went there all by myself. I traveled there all by myself. And when I first told my parents, I didn't tell them until the day before I left that I was going to be going there on my own, and they were freaking out and everything. I was like, no, it's gonna be fine. You guys got me to this point mentally, physically, emotionally like I'm ready to do it. I want to do it, and I'm like, okay, we'll just leave your phone on, don't talk to strangers, stick to yourself, don't drive, don't ride a taxi, blah blah blah blah. And I was like, yeah, yeah, you know, I definitely broke a lot of those rules my first day there. I reade a taxi, I talked to strangers. But I was doing that. And the whole reason that I was doing that fashion show was because they were about showing people with all different walks of life, whether they're blind or missing limbs or amputated limbs or in wheelchairs or whatever it may be that makes them stand out differently. They were getting showcased in the fashion community and making noise that not everybody is the same, and not every piece is going to be easy for somebody who was different to be able to put on, Like for me, I need elasticitywear in my pants owndwear for me to be able to put it on by myself, where some people need a magnet where the button is so that they can flop it open and step and be able to get themselves dressing undressed. And I was getting ready to walk the runway and they played the song just the Way You Are by Bruno Mars, and I was eighteen years old, and I had never pat myself on the pack or all the hard work, but I hadn't gotten too and I instantly hit me and I broke down emotionally and started sobbing as I was getting ready to walk the runway because I was like, Oh my gosh, I am eighteen years old walking New York Fashion Week all on my own. I get myself dressed, I get myself in another shower, I did my own hair and makeup. I really truly made this happen for myself, and I'm so proud of myself. And I got home to my hotel and I called my mom and I was like, I just want to thank you so much for all the tough love that you've given me, because none of this would have been possible if you would have babied me and never let me really grown and saw my potential long before I could see it myself. And I just really appreciate that and love and respect you and Dad for always pushing me knowing what I was truly capable of. And even now I'll go to her house and sometimes she gets frustrated because there are things that I'll be doing and she's like, do you want me to help you with that. I'm like, no, no, my got it. I got it. He's like, well, it would just be faster if I helped you do it. And I was like, no, I got it, and she's like okay, but yeah, and that this plays a huge role in adamized relationship as well, going back to the independence in him learning what I can and can't do on a daily basis. I think we both shop each other with what I'm able to do. Like those times that I'll call and I can't do this.
Speaker 4: I think that's the same in all relationships. Like you guys are an acute example and a visible example of something we should all take into all of our relationships in that really subtle balance between really supporting and facilitating the best life for your partner that you can, but also giving them the space to figure out some things by themselves. Because when my husband's around, I won't even try because I'm like, you know, I won't try something like I won't try something scary if he's there, because he'll pick me up and be like, oh no, it's fine, you know, like we've done. There's an example. We went to India and we were hiking in the Himalayas, and I at the time hadn't really hiked that much and he got food poisoning and he couldn't come. So I did this like multi stage, long day thing and fifty degree heat and like with water, like it was vertical scrambling. And when he was there, I would have a burst into tears, sat on the floor and had a massive tantrum and knock on any further and turn around, and then Dan he would have had to nurse me back because I would have been like, no, no, it's so scared. But when he's not there, I'm like independent, one man like. And I think that's the thing that stood out the most to me about you guys, was this beautiful push pool of support, independent, support, independence that I thought everyone needs that in their friendships with their parents to the children, Like every relationship could benefit from that dynamic. And I think you're just such good role models and I love that you have a platform now to show that because we all need a bit more of that, We all need a bit more of just just give it a go. Like I love when you were like I'm just gonna Adam, it was like I'm just gonna throw a game in the pool, like, let's just see what happens, you know.
Speaker 3: That was the thing. There was a pool there, and he was like, I think I want to jump in the pool. And I was like, are you sure. One, you're mate up to your outfit, three.
Speaker 4: One your make up, three you're no limbs.
Speaker 3: But I was like, are we getting ahead of ourselves?
Speaker 1: Because sometimes you'll like do decisions is that He'll be like, oh wait, no, never mind.
Speaker 4: And so I want to traveling.
Speaker 3: He was like, no, it's such a.
Speaker 6: Trend right now. Everyone at their weddings are jumping in the pool at the end of it. And I was like, cool, let's do it then and then, and then I got roasted for it on the internet too, because everyone was all like, you just threw them in there.
Speaker 2: You're just letting them understand that I've been swimming. Yeah, I was four years old. That was one thing that my parents made sure that I was able to do because with not having arms or legs, my body overheats really easily. And so they instantly found out that going to the pool was that we could do as a family, but also give me that time to cool off, and that I wasn't going to be held when I was in the pool. I needed to make sure that I was able to travel in the pool, And so I got to the point where I was going off the diving boards. I'd go off the low dive and do back, but where I'd go off a high eye, even though I get on top of the high dive, and I'd stand up there for like twenty minutes, and everybody at the pool just sit there and stare up with me, and my Dad's like, either you go off, or all come up there and kick you off there to your joys. And so that my siblings would like start to climb up the lowry They're going to kick me off and jump off. But I really love to test the norm of what people think I can't and can't do and prove that I can do it or I'm going to figure out a way to do it.
Speaker 4: The last question that I finished every episode with, because I love quote so much as you guys know, is what is your favorite quote?
Speaker 1: I used to be a quote person. Now I don't like keep them in my pocket, but I do have one.
Speaker 4: Do you really?
Speaker 2: I know?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that makes me so happy. Your makeup desk is insane. Guys, you have to go and watch gabees makeup tutorials. They are like I just can't even explain. I barely know how to use foundation, let alone like setting powder and like all the fancy thing contouring. I don't even know where to draw the line. And Gabe has no arms and literally draws the most precise, beautiful contoured line in the entire world. I just you blow my mind. You're like dexterity with your shoulder is insane.
Speaker 2: It is crazy sometimes impress myself.
Speaker 4: Also, quick random question for TikTok because you guys know, I'm like trying to like figure it out. So when you do the hectic makeup transitions, like do you go out after or do you literally just do the video and then just take it off.
Speaker 1: I come home from work and he's laying in bed with a full face sometimes full lushes because the white ones started getting makeup.
Speaker 3: So now we have black.
Speaker 4: This is the bts of TikTok life. It looks super glamorous, but really like Adam comes home from a full day nurse seeing and a hectic healthcare system and Gabe's just sitting there with like euphoria makeup, playing like Grand Theft Order with you Foria makeup on I love it.
Speaker 3: Before you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what are you? Quotes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's like your whole big old thing too. So I'm not really big of a like I used to be more into quotes than I am now. But one that's always stuck with me is one that my mom would say all the time, and it was and it kind of fits the vibe to which I think is fun. But it's something that I always have going through my head. It's and it sounds awful at first. It's I don't care what happens to you, it's what you do about it.
Speaker 4: That's such a good one, and.
Speaker 1: It's it's really good because it's really put into perspective some of those things where it's like this sucks, like but like what are you going to do about it? Like are you going to fix it? Or are you going to like do better? Or if something great happens, it's like what are you going to.
Speaker 3: Do about it?
Speaker 1: Like are you going to share it? Or are you going to like enjoy it and revel in it? Like it's it's really put a response to some things, and that's what's locked a lot of cool experiences in For me.
Speaker 4: I love that so much because you know, you can't control a lot of what life throws your way, good or bad, but it's really what you do about it and how you action that that makes a difference between a really yay field life or just sort of existing and coasting along. I love that quote so much.
Speaker 2: For mine, it's more of like a slogan flash model that my mom inserted in me at like a very young age, and she'd always make me say it when I never wanted to say it, but it was I can do it, I can do it. I can do it with a smile on my faith, And I feel like saying that just makes a lot of the things that you don't want to do a lot easier, and just when you do it, always smile because it just makes it totally.
Speaker 4: Those are both very on brand for CC, and we thank you guys so much. You nailed the assignment. I think we've all had a really hard start to the year, where we thought, going into the third year of this madness, you know, things would be going back to normal, including our motivation and energy and drive to try new things, and I think all of us have found ourselves coming up a bit short, So if anyone has been sitting there needing a kick up the butt to think, whatever that thing is that you think you can't do, you can probably fucking do it. Listen to these guys, like I don't think there's a better example going around that you can just push your limits and see what happens, and if you've got the right support network around you, you can achieve your dreams and beyond. You guys are absolutely extraordinary. Thank you so much for joining the show. It was just so nice to see you again, and you continued to inspire me every day.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for having Yeah, this was awesome and it was really sweet to be able to see you again.
Speaker 3: We've got to catch up more often then, you know.
Speaker 4: I just can't wait to share you with the world. So exciting, ah, I just love these two so much. They are so wholesome and so grounded. I can't believe that only in their twenties, and I'm just so pleased to have met them. Please go and have a look at Gabe's incredible TikTok videos. He blows me away by his makeup looks and how he puts lashes on without limbs better than me. It is absolutely insane. The link to his page is in the show notes. If you enjoyed the chat, please shower these guys with love or share and tag us and them and anyone else who you think might benefit from this conversation so we can reshare and keep growing the aighborhood. Their tags are also in the show notes. I love it when the neighborhood ramps up the interaction on socials after an episode and in real life, which has happened a few times lately. Nothing makes my life more than being stopped on the street. It happened in NUSA the other day. It just makes me want to cry. It makes me so unbelievably happy to connect with you guys, beyond just knowing you've listened, because the download numbers go up, the messages and hilarious photos coming through after our Gallantines episode just made my week. We had a lot of otters and a lot of really hilarious best photos, so keep those coming along with anything and everything you guys know. I love me a DM back with and again for the next dose of years of our lives, so stay tuned for that. In the meantime, I hope you're having an amazing week and are seizing your yay