Speaker 1: You're listening to a MoMA Mia podcast. Mama Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on Hello, and welcome to Cancel the Lazy Girls Guide for our celebrity cancelations. I'm Claire Stephens and I'm joined by Jesse Stevens.
Speaker 2: You are about to enter the canceled courtroom.
Speaker 1: The defendants are celebrities, the charges are petty, the rulings are final, and on today's episode we're talking about Paul Meskal.
Speaker 3: Rome has taken everything from me, but I will have my vengeance.
Speaker 1: You're always playing such sad, sad characters, but they're also they're quite like set see sad specific genre. Yeah, I feel like you're really owning the sexy SA genre.
Speaker 3: I like to manipulate the tears out of people with sexiness. Is that a big burden to have on your on your shoulders, you know?
Speaker 1: And sexy? Yeah, a big weight to carry.
Speaker 3: No, it's a privilege.
Speaker 2: I love currically thinking I could have a different life put it.
Speaker 3: Having a bit of a background and in Gaelic football.
Speaker 4: Hell yeah, yeah, yeah, loves.
Speaker 3: I think the greatest feeling that any human ever ever gets to experience and to get to play that. Like I'll consciously have to be pulled away from that in my career. I know, because I love it.
Speaker 1: He's the start of Gladiator two, which comes out very very soon. He's recently been in Australia for the premiere and there are many people, including me, who I'm madly in love with him. However, he is not without silly, ridiculous controversy. Now Live James, who works in our social team. Recently we broke her shoulder. Yep, we'll get to it. She recently went to the Gladiator Too premiere and she interviewed Paul. And I'm a journalist. That's what I am. They call me a spotlight journalist. They do bite the movie spotlight. Yep, I'm just like that. So what I did I sent Live a message. I didn't even approach her in person. You just sent a message and said, Hi, Live, What up? I said, you break your shoulder? No? I said, what's the vibe? So you asked her? You straight up? I went no, pussy foot no, And I said you met him? Go on? I thumbs up, thumbs down. Give it to me, straight, unfiltered vibe on what Paul mescal would actually like at the premiere, what'd she say? And she doesn't lie? And I've got no reason to light at us. And she has a good vibe detector, she does and this is what she said. Oh are you actually gonna quote hers straight? Yeah? Wow, okay. I spent exactly forty two seconds talking to him, and the vibe I got was I'm a regular guy who also knows I'm the shit, but I'm also cool because I still get a bit shy about it. He was so hot in person. Yeah I get that sense. Not as tall as you'd think, but definitely not short. He asked how I was twice because we both asked at the same time, and he answered but still asked again in brackets hot, that is hot who loved a cheeky smirk and eye contact. The eye contact wasn't constant, but when he did, it felt like he was actually locked in and really listening. And brackets hot, I want to vomit because the first word that came to mind was enigma. Ha ha ha ha ha. The eye contact was so good I was convinced he kind of liked me too, and had to look away because he didn't want it to be obvious literal insanity, and I said, live live the extent to which I understand and all relate. If liv thinks there was chemistry, who are any of us to say there was that? She was there, Jessy, tell me about the broken shoulder. Do you know about the dessicated shoulder? I've seen as a video of lib stacking. Okay, but went to the Gladiator premiere. Yeah. She interviews her new boyfriend Paul, have a great little chat, and then she's like, I've got to go and do the intro to just like intro it, and I don't know. She falls over and Page dislocates her shoulder and up in hospital. She's got a sling that would have been so cool if she had it when she met Paul, though, because I reckon he'd have asked about it because he'd be like, I also get injured from being gladiator. Yeah yeah, okay, Well anyway, I just thought i'd enter that into the courtroom for vibe purposes, I reckon, for clickbait purposes. She should write the article Paul Meschal dislocated my shoulder. Oh yeah, yeah, how a night out with Paul Mescal dislocated my shoulder? I had a night with Paul Mescal hospital. You can date not lying. She's not lying now, Jesse. Paul Calm is it colml Yeah? Colm, Paul Colm Michael Mescal. Where about sn Island kill Kenny? I killed Kenny. So he's a real Irish Yeah, No, very real Irish. His dad was a heat training his mum was a police woman. Okay, yeah, yeah, he's real. He's real man Manuth yeah, man County, killed air and his mother was a Garter and his father was a school Sorry killed are killed air. His mother's name is dear blah so Irish, so that's probably not how you pronounce it. So Irish listeners are going to be very upset. And I'm sorry I said kill Kenny. That's either not a place it's killed. I'm just don't need to be Irish now, Jesse. He is six years younger than us. When we were in Ireland and we stayed in Shrogcock, you know who wouldn't know where Shirtcock is because everyone in Ireland. We're like, yeah, we're staying in Shucar and they were like, no one's heard, where the fuck is your cock? It's in the bloody middle of Ireland. We did we stay there because there was a nice house fold cheap any wait, anyway, he's not a mess set. It's fine. He studied at the Lear Academy at Trinity College and he graduated in twenty seventeen, and he had an agent before graduation. This is important because he did some theater. He got offered like two plays at once. He's a real actor. He's an actor, and we've always said that we believe that theater are real actors, because's got to remember your lie very true. He played Jay Gatsby m mmmmm sexy. Oh okay, a remake. We need a remake starring Paul Great Great by twenty nineteen, So just keep in mind he graduated in twenty seventeen. By twenty nineteen, he was cast in Normal People, and man met his moment because I needed a little Irish boy, a little Irish boy. It was like here, I am thick tyes. She says thick. Yes, yeah, we'll get to his thick thies. Do you remember his chain? I made Luca wear a chain fora a week. It was it actually got really icky. But yeah, he didn't look like Paul. No, it wasn't the same. Normal People was the mini series based on Sally Rooney's best selling novel, and his starred opposite Daisy Edgar Jones. It was gone, Oxy Cornell, I've got it was so sexy, the chain, he's five. I don't remember his figs so much. You will. He was absolutely perfect. Normal people were rased in twenty twenty Peak Pandemic and he won a BAFT and he was nominated for an Emmy. He then had a role in The Lost Daughter, which was directed by Maggie Gyllenhorn and starred Olivia Coleman. I've had great things. I haven't watched it. You go watched that. I don't think so Olivia Coleman. She's got like two daughters. And Dakota Johnson's in it. Oh wait, now I have watched the does he play? He's just the little boy. He's just like the little British but he might have any checklin in it. And he's like a little man who works their hangs out with Olivia Coleman for like a day, but he's just kind of remember that there, Yeah, yep. He was lovely in that. Then in twenty twenty two, he starred in God's Creatures and After Sun I haven't seen either, but they have both had excellent reviews and I will be watching them in my own color privately. And then he starred in All of Us Strangers opposite Andrew Scott aka the Hot Priest and Jesse. You've seen the movie, what did you think? Very I watched on aer aplane. Mm hmm, fucked me up. Oh I didn't make you bad. Oh yeah, it's like it is so bleak. Oh but hot, Okay, it's hot. Is he sexy? Yeah? Because it's him? Did you say the other one? Andrew Andrew Scott they're in a relationship, so it's hard hot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And Paul Mescal's really hot. Yeah, and together they're quite it's just like a it's just really hot. Have you seen all the videos that they did together for the promo for that movie. Yeah, they were so cute. They were because they were both Irish, like it was a whole thing. Yeah, but really moving, like you need to say it, it's very very moving, but it's very sad. I will I watched him my own time. That's a sign. Note he was a very very talented Gaelic football player. Of course he was. I can see that and that you do need a strong quad and that athleticism is probably what helped him secure the role. Ingladiated to because when he had a zoom call with Ridley Scott, who saw him in normal people, Ridley did ask him about the Gaelic football. Now, my structure for today is as follows. What happened with Phoebe Bridges yep, running away from dates in parks, Chicken shop date memes and Graham Norton and giving people the ick Jesse, what happened with Phoebe Bridges? I need her contextualized because everyone just talks about Phoebe Bridges as if I know whom. Here's the thing that's really important, Jesse. I need you to understand this. We are not cool enough. She is an indie singer songwriter. I've gone through and searched her music. I haven't heard any of it. Okay, because his Phoebe Bridge is not currently dating Bo Burnham. Yeah, that's what we're gonna get to, jest Buck. Phoebe Bridges had a good run. She's had a great run. She likes dating the internet's boyfriends. Wow, I wish I was her? Yeah, Oh my goodness. She was born in ninety four. Mmmm yeah, she's so thirty, she's beautiful. Okay cool. So on the twelfth of May twenty twenty, indie singer songwriter Phoebe Bridges had just finished watching Normal People and, like the rest of us, message call on Instagram. No, she posted about it. She tweeted, finished watching Normal People and now I'm sad and horny. I'll wait. Turns out Paul mescal Is Slash was a big Phoebe Bridges fan, so he tweeted back, I'm officially dead, and she replied back, no, don't die. You're so talented haha. By this point, is I get a room? Yeah? I don't like watching other people's for letting. I find it uncomfortable. Yeah. On the twenty first of May, so that's nine days later, they did an Instagram Live together Weird, where Bridge we did everyone did weird things. Everyone did weird things because we were like, it's a new era and it's like we're all yeah, okay. Bridges interviewed Meschool for Wonderland Magazine, and I went back and watched some of this and actually had to turn it off because I forgot how painful Instagram Live is just some feedback for Instagram. I've never watched an Instagram line. Sometimes I accidentally no, sometimes I accidentally press one. And the worst thing is it, because no one watches Instagram lines come up, you get a shout out yeah, and people don't just join. You just joined. My thumb slipped and now I'm on them live. I don't want to watch time and I think this is a pyramid score looking for my opinion. I like it. It's a briefinget. No, it's bad and genuinely what it is. You're watching two people on a zoom. You're watching two people. They've got technical issues. The video is just waiting for Paul to direct quote, just waiting for Paul to jump on, and she's like where is Paul? And I'm like, oh god. And then he joins and like he sounds a bit not quite right and he's like this is my pop plan and it's like, oh god, this is terrible. And once I had to join Instagram Live and I just kept thinking, I hope no one's but the problem with people get notified and you're like, I just went to cut off. Don't look at me, don't look at me. I've been asked to do this for professional reasons. It's like one of the humor lands. No, because there's a delay. Yeah yeah, and I don't want to die. But it was a bit like watching your first day. At one point, Paul told Phoebe, I think it's well documented that I love your music, and she said, well that makes me blush. Mmm. Okay, so it's like again, get a room. There's a rumor they stayed online after the chat and had drinks together, but I was like, no, you've got to hang up from the yeagram live like and then it's weird, you know, when you're like coming to the end of riber zooms used to time out, Yeah, are you sending another link? Yeah, being like join this? Oh god, I hated zoom drinks anyway. A few weeks later, in an interview, Bridges referred to Mescal as the cute boy from the show and said she got a little pitapatter in my heart when she saw he'd followed her on Instagram in July, so she'd only done the body to tweet you may in July she flies to Ireland to see him, and a little Cafe posted about how they'd come in for break. In November, he talked about his girlfriend in an interview in December twenty twenty, he appeared in the music video for her song Stave Your Complex alongside Phoebe waller Bridge. Oh yeah, I remember that. About a year later, they made their Red Carpet debut, and then they were posting cute photos together on Instagram. It was very, very clear that they were together, and there were rumors that they were engaged because at the Met Gala in May twenty twenty two, Paul was wearing a ring on his engagement finger and people thought maybe she proposed and he said yes, and there he just didn't know. It was also awkward because there are a few examples of interviews with one of them, the journalist writing in the copy for the interview that they were engaged. So it wasn't a direct quote oh song like Paul, but it was in the context of a published interview, So you're like, surely his signed off on that, but then it would be amended later and so you engage? Are you not engaged? Then in December there was controversy the foot Bridges collaborated with Scissor for a song Ghost in the Machine. You know I've been calling Hazzar anyway, Scissor, Okay, do I know the song. I don't think that you know, Okakay, it's not for you, Okay. So Phoebe Bridges is with siss does the song with Scissor, okay, and she sings about screaming at another person and ending up alone in an airport bar or hotel lobby. The timeline of how quickly the song came together also appeared to kind of further point to the real time nature of the breakup, Like she talked about how her and Sissor had just collaborated and released this really quickly, all right, and so it's like just interesting that you know, you're talking about a friend. It feels urgent, feels urgent. Yeah, then can I just say, you know, it just pops up. It's Matti fucking Elie Matt Healey. He was just at the Gladiator premiere or was it the Wicked premiere. I don't know, is it one of them. It's probably at all of them. But he just turns up and he was why is he here? Though he was in Australia, Jesse, he was just in a lobby getting selfies with people, and it's like, you are a famous person outside your cage. Yeah, why are you here? Mate. Okay, did he pop up here? Yes? Because the nineteen seventy five front man Matt Heally posted a baffling photo on Instagram that showed him and Bridges kissing, with Bo Burnham standing behind them with his hands on both of their shoulders. I remember this because everyone's like, isn't Phoebe Bridges with Paul Mescal And isn't Bo Burnham with a woman he had been with for like a death a million years? I remember that, And also, Matt Healley, are you not with Taylor Fucking Sweat at some point you were? It really confused fans. Then Bridges was spotted at a show with Burnham in New York. She did Chicken Shop date with Amelia de Moldenburg and talked about heartbreak, and she continued being seen with Burnham in early twenty twenty three, while Mescal avoided any questions about their relationship. Then it was clear that Bridges was officially dating Burnham. It's funny. There's this video of Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman dancing at a concert and in the background you can see Bo Burnham and you're like, oh my god, it's Bo Burnham, And then you just see he's just hooking up with fevere Bridges. You're like wild wild he's so tall, he's so tall, how beout that makes Paul Meschyl feel insecure. We'll get to his height really yeah? Yeah, well, I mean you heard what Live said. He's not that tall, but he's not that short. But he's not that tall. Now, there are rumors that Meschuol and Bridges secretly got married right before they broke up. This is according to the dou Nois podcast. Wouldn't we see that in the paperwork? I don't know, is that public? Yeah? I thought it was. I don't know anyway the podcast unless you get a like, what like an annullment or something. Well, on the podcast, they said, I can confirm that Paul is telling people that him and Phoebe were married in secret. This was an anonymous source. Not sure if they were actually married or not, but this is what he's saying. Someone I know went on a date with him where he told her he wasn't over his ex and that a big reason was that they were married in secret not long before they broke up. Apparently. He also cries a lot about Bridges, which you will get to. Okay, because weirdly. I had the vague impression that he did something naughty here. Yeah, I'm probably gonna need a few more details, but to speak back to them about about Yeah, it doesn't sound like he did noughty that we know of yet. Oh well. No. One of the rumors was at that met gala where he was wearing the ring and people thought that he might be engaged to Phoebe Bridges. There was a photo taking with Daisy ed Ga Jones and in the background there is poor Mescu standing next to Phoebe Bridges but staring at Daisy. What do you make of this? Excuse me while I look at this. He's very a man posing for a photo, which is that he's weirdly smiling at the camera. No, you know what he is. He's when you're in a situation where people say, hey, I'm just gonna take candid photos, don't look at the camera because he's looking dead down the camera with a big smile on his face. Incredibly awkward and it's not very celebrity. It's just I hate it, though, when those things get blown out of proportion, because it's like, God, we do weird shit. When cameras are about yes, correct, Hello canceled listeners. The Month of Move has started. Every day in November, the Move team will drop daily workout recommendations to keep you company all month long. The Month of Move was created to take the mental load out of exercise. There's no pressure and absolutely no experience required, which we love as lazy Girl. It's just enjoyable movement that leaves you feeling good. None of it's a marathon because some of us don't want to run marathons. If you want to join in, you can get thirty dollars off a yearly Muma mea subscription which gets you unlimited access to Move with the code month of Canceled. The offer is valid until the end of November. You can find all the details in the show notes Running Away from Dates in Parks. In late December twenty twenty three, a rumor began circulating about mescal One that really challenged his beautiful reputation. According to entirely unsubstantiated sources and a lot of this we're off on TikTok, he has a habit of sleeping with women he meets in pubs, and then the following morning he asks them to go for a walk with him in the park and then he runs away. It's just he runs away right right away. Why it's so unnecessary, there's no sense. It too it ish, it's so dumb because it's like he's too famous to be running in the public, he's too famous to be darting from someone else's and even the running right like, I've had a one night stanwn. I'm in the park, I'm walking alongside them, and let's say I don't want to be there anymore. I could just walk away. I don't reckon they're going to chase me. They might go, oh Jesse, and they might fall out. And if I just look back and give him a look, I think I'm right to just kind of be on my way. The reason why running away is such a power move is that it says I'm worried you're going to chase me, which puts you in a position of feeling clinging, and it's like, I'm not feeling clinging. I just want to know where you're going if we're currently in danger, Because if I was with someone and they started bolting in the other direction, I go, have I missed a cute?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is there something for us to be afraid? Is there a tyn army that I didn't see coming? Yeah? Yeah, Well, clips began circulating on TikTok of these blind items, claiming that he developed the habit while living in London. Yeah. One of the first to talk about the rumor was a woman called Aaron Mary Smith, and she said, Paul meschool basically goes around North London and this is from lots of lots of them begging women for threesomes. And when he does actually get with a girl, he'll say to them, hey, want to go for a walk, And then in the middle of the chat he would just lay and just do a runner and leave her in the park. Because even bolting, I don't know a lot about running. I'm not a runner. Going from a standstill to a speedy sprint, you'd want to stretch. Well, he's oh, you're going to pull a handstring. Well. The thing that adds credibility to this, he's a river. He does run. Well, you know what if you're a runner and you do run, you know the importance of stretching and a warm up. You don't go from zero to one hundred. We know this because Dad does it every six months, pulls a hammy yeah, because he goes I'm going to go for a run. He puts on his sheer, runners, gets on the concrete and just bolts until he feels sick and he's hurt himself, and it's like, this is why we stretch on me warm ut good point. Aaron mary Smith added that Mescal was also maybe hung up over his ex singer Phoebe Bridges. Well, if Aaron mary Smith said it, because nothing says I'm hung up over my ex fee Bridges, Like like bolting away from a girl I asked for threesome from and then said, Hey, I might be one of the most famous people in the world, but you know what I'd like to do? Walk around the park, walk around and be papped publicly till a paparazzi's watching, then bolt. There's no way he could be bolting away from women regularly and not be photographed of video exactly. That's the biggest thing that makes me know this isn't true is that I'm like a paparazzi would love that. Is that Paul meschool with a girl? Oh my god, is bolted? That's very what's he running away from here? Running away from a bee? Is he scared. What's happened? Why is he running so fast? My god, he's running away from that girl, that poor girl, and then zooming on. Aaron Mary Smith also said on top of this, he also liked to violently cry about Phoebe anytime he gets a bit pissed or shit faced in the pub. Okay, well that's just normal. That's just normal. And you know what else it is private. Yeah, but it's like, don't mix fact and fiction because that's fat, that's even that's fine. Yeah, but you've mixed it with a rumor about running running away from you one night stand after you've invited them to your home and you've said let's go and get some eggs, and then running away on because you've the breakfast. Yeah, because what she to do? Where do you go? Do you stand there for a minute, going will he come back? She's just going for a short yog around the park. Perhaps he's unwell, he needs a toilet, needs to a vomit. The rumors quickly became part of Internet folklore, with multiple people jumping on to talk about Paul He's tiny running shorts and how he likes to run. He's tiny running shorts. By the way, they're apparently Gaelic football shorts. These shorts he's photographed wearing in public all the time, and they are tiny hot and they're really hot okay, and they've got no pockets. So he's also like, mate, it's coldon island to have your legs out of it. Oh no, because he's in London whereas allso oh, but with these little shorts apparently they don't have pockets. And so when he has like headphones, he's got a stuff from down his pants. Women like that. They say, oh, to be his headphones. Ladies, k pet and your pants stop. Can't panting, stop it, put your tongue in your mouth, stop it. This is why he's running now. School does have a history of lying to get out of a bad date. In February twenty twenty three, he confessed to lying to a girl on a first date so he'd have a good excuse to leave. He said, we're walking along some lovely canal in Amsterdam and it should have been very romantic, but it wasn't. There was a lot of silence and the only way for me in my head was to fake a phone call and pretend my friend was in hospital. I got off the phone, and I thought I'd given my greatest performance. The first question she asks me was were you acting? Eventually I got her to believe me. I doubled down. I was like, why would I joke about that? My friend is in hospital. I'm a bad person. Sucks to be her hearing that on the TV. Paul I went on a date with Oh yeah, I went on a date with him. And then it was so sad. Sad. Actually he's never spoken about the friend who is in hospital, and he tells that story and it's like, I'm ugly, I'm fick. Only recently he has addressed the running away from women in Parks rumor during a press interview for Gladiator. He gave an interview with GQ, and he said, oh fucking hell, clearly, where what the rumor was. We were looking at the videos and we were pissing ourselves at it. Categorically untrue, and we were laughing, laughing, laughing, laughing. He says that he saw the rumor during the Christmas holidays while hanging out with his siblings, which, by the way, if you work in media, these sort of stories always go off same time of year. It's at Christmas when everybody's trying to avoid their families. So you know what else broke at the same time, Ilaria. It was Ilaria and her accent and her accent and how she didn't know the word for cucumber. Yeah, we love this harmless story, like this victimless crid. No one likes this story like Paul Mescal likes this story. Really funny, he said. And the one thing that upset me was that I was in the kitchen. I remember my mum looking at the videos and she was getting upset, and she said, isn't that devastating. However, he said, it's funny to us, my brother, me, my sister, because we know that is the way the internet works. It's hilarious. If it was true, it would be bad, but as a rumor, it's funny. Then I was like, oh, if you're a mother, her impulse is to come out and be like he wouldn't do this. So basically, poor med School's Moum's upset. The interviewer goes on to say that while they laughed about it, it was clear that Meschool had an edge of nervousness that the topic had come up, and then later on he was in a bar lined with bookshelves, and he picked up a copy of a book called London's Hidden Walks, and he said, three volumes. I should take these from my running away dates. So clearly I would. If I was por were school, my go to move would be, whoever I'm with, pretend I'm doing a little run, just like get my arms and just like O paparazzi could get that moment. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Every time I saw the paparazzi, i'd puller I'm about to run face. That would actually be funny. Yeah yeah, Jesse, Chicken Chop Date are.
Speaker 4: Romantic person, I would say yes, But it's all like I mean, romance is subjective, right, Okay, what's romantic to one person isn't romantic to another person? That's true.
Speaker 1: What's romantic to you?
Speaker 3: Apart from this right now? I love walking. A good long walk is a romantic simple pleasures, Simple pleasures, some simple a man.
Speaker 1: Earlier this year, Paul Mescul appeared on Chicken Shop Date along with our other friend of the Council Courtroom, Andrew Garfield. Yes, here is my recap of what happened. Firstly, he's wearing this open like greeny blue shirt and Amelia acknowledges that it is the color of his eyes, and he says it's his date shirt. Oh my god, sorry, your eye is mature.
Speaker 3: It this is my day shirt.
Speaker 1: But you see warm this before on a day.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're at chicken cottage. You know, I like to put down where they're getting. What do they ate chicken chips? Okay, yeah, he's nervous. I mean acknowledges they've built up to the moment for quite a while. He says, playing sad and sexy characters isn't a burden, it's a privilege. She says, I think I've seen all your movies, and he's like all my movies And she's like, yeah, you've not done loads. True, that's what I thought. You could knock him out in a Sunday after she's so good, she asks if Gaelic football is how he got his thighs?
Speaker 3: Is out how you got your thighs? Yeah, yeah, that's how that's genetics.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, you got family, big thighs, Yeah, big, big thigh family. He tells her she's brilliant at her job. She's like, this isn't a job, this is a date. This is real to me, that's what she says. She makes him read a script for her rom com that she wrote, so he's like, would you She's like, would you do a rom com? And he's like yeah, and she's like, well, I've got one. And he's like, you've got a script and she's like, yeah, it's one page. She says he has to audition, okay, and so she hands it to him and he starts reading and he says, wow, Amelia, you look so beautiful today. I've never in my life seen someone so gorgeous in a chicken shop. I always used to think people who believe didn't love at first sight were stupid until now. And then he's like, did I get it? And she's like, if you could start reading the script now? So good? It's iconic and he comes across so well, he's like shy, but it's very natural. There's something very natural, likable, charismatic, and I would say down to earth about the Irish. Yeah, without ego, without ego at all. And he's like, I'm so bad at flirting. Well, why am I in love with you? Okay? Why they all know each other too? Yeah? Oh, because you've got all You've got it Okay, we'll get to it. Jes. Memes. This man has been memed so many times. There are so many memes that I can't even fit in. I follow on Instagram Connell's chain. Well, first it was Gonald's Jane Yes in Normal People Meschool played Conall Waldron, and someone literally started an Instagram account for Conal's chain. Jesse, I want you to describe these photos and read out that quiet lately Conall's chain, Yeah, posting as much as it once did, more content. I guess there's only so many screenshots you can get out of a mini series. You like, just repost, okay, Conall's Chane Conall looking at Marianne's away. We are looking at his chain. Such deep thirst. Connall's chain, Alexa play Image and Heat, Hide and Seek. It's so sexy. I was gonna read out the other one, but there's a better one. Yeah, and Jesse, how about this last one? The last one? We are here for a full frontal chain. It is a full frontal chain. It's the way it sits is that at silver he just looks like a real He looks like how we imagine the boy that we fell in love with when we were eighteen. But then you look back and you're like, he didn't look like Paul Meschal, but in our heart he did. Yeah. Oh there's something so sexy about him. I think my taste right, It's like like, yes, yes, sexy, beautiful, all of that. There's something just a little bit rugged about Paul Meschal, isn't It's quite boyish? Yeah? I agree. Then there's the Hobbit meme. Jess, I haven't heard of the Hobbit meme. Okay, can you describe this photo and read the caption? Okay, so this is a photo with Andrew Scott is in there as well as Paul mescal and Jonathan Bailey. And Jonathan Bailey, who's the other one? I don't some like Irish or British actor the Hobbits after the Shire God Azara. Yeah, what does that mean? Okay? It's firstly white. They all look so short, they all look really short, and it's saying that they're Hobbits who have been to Zara. Wow. Okay, yes, their Hobbits like from Lord of the Rings. Yeah, that have been dressed at Zara. Yeah, but it's all the Irish ones are Irish people short. I don't know, they look as I don't think Jamie Dornan is that short, No, Phoebe while the bridge is actually quite tall. Yeah, maybe the wall Bridge isn't Irish because I've got confused because of Andrew Scott. I think that the thing about Irish people is that some are tall and some are short. Great observation. Well, Paul me School was asked about that particular meme by Greg James on Radio one in the UK.
Speaker 2: The Hobbits after the Shai got Azara. I mean, we look so unbelievably short, and you're not a short man. This photo doesn't do anything to credit that series. I think it's because the lenses above. I think that people are taking the photo from too high, that someone's up a step ladder taking the photo.
Speaker 3: I mean, it doesn't do any of us any favorites, but particularly Andrew.
Speaker 1: The other meme that goes around the internet is about his Gaelic football shorts. Because I haven't seen them, I needed a visual describe this and then I want you to read the caption. Okay, oh wow, he does have beautiful thighs, does me. They're like rugby league shorts is how I describe them. Okay, there's a caption that says, babe, wake up new Paul mescal in short shorts just dropped, which is so true. It's hot because he has a coffee. It's hot because he's got raunos on. He never has air pods. He's always got headphones with wires, which I can't imagine is particularly conducive to a front. I know, I know, right up a bit. Yeah, there's a whole thing about the same. Okay, there's a whole thing. And he is actually a big advocate for men to wear short shorts are good, but I think only some men should wear short of shorts. I also think that as an Irish man, I am an Irish woman and we've just got to be careful with our skins. Yeah, okay, so we can wear the short shorts. Let's reapply, let's slipstop sla, Let's make sure that in Australia we don't go out between twelve and two. Okay. As an Irish man, I think, did you get some bad in Australia? Oh? I think he apparently it was in Bonda. It was mear me shit. I know, I'm quite sad to have missed him, Graham Norton and giving people the ick In October, Paul Mescal appeared on The Graham Norton Show alongside Shersha Ronan, Eddie Redmain, and Denzel Washington. During the episode, Redmain was telling Graham Norton a story about how he was preparing for a role and he had to be trained in self defense, including how to use a phone as a weapon.
Speaker 4: Some of the things Paul taughtois is how you can use how you can use your.
Speaker 2: Phone if someone's attacking you the butt of your who's actually.
Speaker 1: Going to think about that?
Speaker 3: Tho, if someone attacked me, I'm not going to go phone.
Speaker 1: That's a very good point, like girls have to think about all the time. Now, this got applause from the studio audience, and then a clip of it went absolutely viral on social media because the men sort of fell silent for a moment. They didn't know how to react. Yeah, it was kind of like an awkward Well, I don't know. Watching the whole thing is very different to watching the clip. Ire. Yeah, I don't think anybody was awkward. It was just that she kind of said it and then the audience didn't react, and then she said it again, and then the audience apported like it was fine. Yeah, it was fine. Now, bizarrely, people have said it gave them the ick about Paul mescal. So, Jess, these are a couple of just little reactions. Two, I'm gonna read out these reactions. Okay, we've got Paul Meschal is the biggest ick ever, and the Graham Norton interview just reinforces it. Also very average looking. Yeah yeah. But then weirdly, the next picture she's posted is her and her kids waiting to watch Disney on Ice with just the post waiting for the show to start. Yeah, and it's like, Hm, go and hang out with the kids Disney, and I stop dissing Paul Meschal. Yeah, very that After watching the Graham Norton interview, seeing Paul Meschal's face gives me the ick. I mean, I never was a big fan of his anyway, but at least I could tolerate his face. Gonna have to mute it. Now with the release of Gladiator coming, ah, people love to be like I always hated him. Now, Jesse, you have an interesting point about why that was a bit of an awkward moment. Yeah, that clip pissed me off. Okay, I'm entirely alone I'm not spoking to a single person who agrees something go on which is always fresh, always refreshing, and everyone on the internet round. I'm like, she'll agree with me, and then they just all have the same take, and I'm like just feeling very alone. That clip pissed me off a bit. What sirsh Nan said didn't annoy me. It was the reaction of everyone being like, men will never understand. And it's like, all of those men, a black man, a gay man, are a lot more likely to be attacked on a street than she is. And I know that women carry the burden of having to protect themselves, and that the way that the media like tells those stories very very different. I appreciate all of that, and the in built fear that women walk away, Yes, but it is a myth and it's called i think it's called the gender violence paradox. That women walk around full of fear, whereas men are more likely to be attacked. So if a man and a woman are walking down the street at night, a man is far more likely to be the victim of crime. He's also obviously a lot more likely to be the perpetrator of crime. But the idea that it's only women who have to think about protecting their safety is actually incorrect, and I think that it can be a bit oppressive to always put it on women, like, oh, we can't even leave the house without our keys between our fingers. It's like, well we can. And if men aren't carrying that burden, then I think that we've got a disproportionate understanding of how in danger we are all the time because of how the media blows it out of proportion. Yes, And a lot of the commentary around that moment was about like how embarrassing for those men, like they'll never understand, and people like slowing the clip down and zooming in on poor mescal and being like yuck, like he doesn't get it. We don't know if he's been the victim. Yeah, of And I was speaking. We did a segment on My Mirror outloud about it, and I was like, Graham Norton in his twenties was stabbed and basically left to bleed to death by a stranger. It's almost kill. He was almost kill a random attack. Yeah, Like you can't tell me that that man's not walking around the world. Yeah, probably scared. And so it was just the way that people were acting, like saying that it gave them the eck. Like, I think that the idea that a phone could be is the weabonar. That probably is a bit stupid, I know, and it's just unfair to take it out of the original context and be like, look, he was laughing at how women go through the world, and Sir Sharman and Paul Meschal, I like Bessie's They're really good friends. They've worked together, and I'm not canceling none of those men, No, none of them. I like any Red May Yeah, he's hot, he was great and lame is he was. I like Denzel Washington. He's hot, he was great in all the movies. I like Graham Norton. He's not hot, but he's great on the Graham Not Show. He is Jesse. It's time for charges and sentences. Okay, my charge. I don't want to charge Paul mescal with anything. I think he is beautiful and I think, yes, lovely but absolutely great actor, excellent ability to select Yep. I may be speaking too early, but I think Gladiator two is gone to beg I think it will yeah, yeah, loved it. Yeah, So my charge leaving me uncertain about what happened with Phoebe. If you're going to start a relationship on Twitter, you're gonna end it on Twitter. Yeah yeah, Okay, I need to know were you engaged, were you married? Did she cheat on you with bo? Yeah? Were you checking out Daisy at the metca et cetera? As you run away? Did you run away? Literally? Yeah or metaphorically either one? So my sentence, I say this because it is the least irish thing, okay that a person could do. Red Table Oh shit, okay him? Is that still on? I don't know where is Jada. She released her book. I think she was tired from all the revelations because we did say in our episode it's one of our most listened to episodes that and we said enough revelations enough, you can over revelation. Yeah. What we've said is we've under revelation. Yeah, Paul, Yeah, so we need a few more, but Jada just kept I think there needs to be an Irish version of Red Table talk. Yeah, Guinness at the table, you know what it is? What we're doing a bit of a confession. I was thinking more of pub and we're sinking Guinness. We're sinking Guinness until we say some shit. Okay. I say this because when Paul Meschool did his chicken shop date with Millie Aldenberg, she's like, do you like Guinness? And he's like, yeah, I've just started getting into guinness. And then she's like, oh cool, I've got one, but she had one just for herself, not real. And then he was telling her how you've got to sink the gen when you do it, you've got to drink down to the g thing. When we were in Ireland, a lot of people said, yeah, the thing about Guinness a lot of time on the toilet the next dome. Yeah, a lot of people said, it's the people that we were with a lot of Aussies. We weren't drinking guinness because I think it tastes like pins. But our friends we're going, it's trying to for hours on the toilet. Comes out as it goes in. This is interesting culturally, not which might be if Paul's had a night out on the guinness. He's taking a girl home for a threesome. He's walking through the park and he's coming it's coming out like it went in person. I've got to go to the toilet. Yeah, well, I think pub red table talk I reckon potentially hosted by Brian Norton, but anywhere. This is who's at the table. But it's not a red table. It's like a brown sticky Yeah. It's dark at two beer yeah yeah, and the people at the table are as follows, Paul, Yeah, Phoebe yeah, bo, Daisy shit yes, and maybe a million to a million. She can come, Yeah, she can come. She'd be good for the vibe, all right. Yeah. So that was also my charge was that you can't meet in front of us and then not follow up. And I've written loud on, loud off, so if we're going to go on really loud, then what I'm probably gonna need is for you to just as loud announced what's gone wrong. But you had that, so I thought, I'm going to do something different, and I am going to charge him with dislocating lives. Shoulder shit poorly because live went to see Gladiator too, which you wouldn't have done if it weren't for Paul. No, I was established yep, yep. So it's like a butterfly effect moment. She went because Paul was in it. You're the drawer card. Yeah, if I go to see you in Gladiator too, and I walk away with a dissiccated shoulder. Whose fault is it? She should send him her medical bills, except that we live in Australia, so the fraid so there aren't medical bills. But there was a doctor who didn't save a wife that night because that doctor was dealing with lives pain. Because actually, there's not a lot you can do about dissiccation. It's not my favorite thing is when you go to the hospital, they would have said, how'd you do it? She would have said, well, I was with a premiere. I was trying to do an intro to an interview had already done with Paul. He was tall, but not short. But not tall, but he wasn't short. But he looked at me, and I think he may have really liked me. And they'd say, are you experience confusion? No, I'm completely I'm completely coherent. I do need a slink. I do need a slink. So my sentence for that would probably be take live on a date at least, especially given the chemistry. And he does seem single. I've seen the interview. I believe that was chemistry. I think that's really important. And I also think we write into do more, and we say I went on a date. We can write at first person, doesn't matter. It's anonymous. I went on a date with Paul and let up in with a dislocated shoulder. I will offer no more details for the full story. Yeah, yeah, great idea before we go. I have a lazy girl story that I got from a lazy girl in the wine. She's a lazy girl. She told me her name and I forgot it, and I feel awful, but she told me, and I did. I prosecuted this in real time with her because I said, what you're telling me is actually really smart and worried that there's work involved, and she said, no, no, no, I promise you this is lazy. Okay, okay. So I'm just going to put it to you. So her son loves some dirty Xbox. I love sitting there with Xbox. And her issue is that she makes dinner and she yells dinner, dinner doesn't listen. You've got to hit the headphones on, can't he. So she was like, what am I going to do when I need him to do something for me and I can't get his attention. So what she did when she went and she bought a doorbell and she stuck a doorbell, the doorbell buzzer to the top of his computer. Oh my god. In the kitchen, she's got a thing which goes that's dinner. What I would say, it's as lazy situation. I hate you, lazy boy, boy, boy boy, lazy boy. Oh wow, lady boy. And I said that sounds complicated, and she said no, no, no, it's really cheap. And I said, is there wiring involved? Because that worried me because I'm not doing a no, no, no, no, just plug it in. It is ultimately lazy because what she's saving is time in yelling, time in yelling and also steps. Yeah, because if she's having to walk, is there anything worse in my house? Yelling out to my husband? He says, I can't he It's like, well, I'm not coming closer. Yeah, So what I'll probably do is yell at the same volume. My biggest fights with my husband are him shouting out to me when I can't hear him. Yeah. I think we need walkie talking too in my home. Actually me too. Yeah, Jesse, that is all we've got time for today on canceled. We'll be back next week. Canceled is produced by Kimberly Bradish, audio production by Leah Porgees and leave us a five star review that would be Blair. It'dy la Blair, Bye bye friends. We are doing a live event, Canceled Live at the University of Sydney. You can come and see us in real life at the Alumni Festival the University of Sydney on Saturday, November the thirtieth. The event is free, but you have to register for tickets, so we'll pop a link in our show notes. But that is just so lazy girl that we don't expect you to pay. We would never know. Well, we shouldn't say never, because one day we might like to profit, but not now. Today is not that day. I think it's going to be quite almost an emotional event because you and I both went. The last time we're at Sidney UNI was when we were at Sydney UNI. Yeah, was when I was graduating. We were studying there. Yeah, we're doing all of our courses in celebrities. Yeah, we studied a degree in pop culture cancelations. We did, and they don't offer that. They don't they're not off very good degrees. There are a bunch of other events happening across the day. They're not just putting the festival on for us. Oh they might be. Would we call ourselves headliners? No, because Doctor Carl's going to be there. Oh my god. Yeah yeah, there are some brilliant events on. Go and have a look. It is University of Sydney, November the thirtieth, See you there.