Speaker 1: Narcisst I think the description is more but self love, and I have been a narcissist most of my life. I genuinely believe, genuinely believe that I have cracked that cod, but that I am not someone like someone today said. I mean, obviously I'm on the online. You're ruining your legacy, and that legacy, what legacy is? It's all that's ridiculous. There's nothing to lose.
Speaker 2: My guest today is someone I've shared more hours behind a microphone with than anyone else in my life. For thirteen years. Dave hughes and I woke up together before dawn, talking our way through breakfast radio. We laughed a lot, We argued. We watch each other raise children, navigate marriages, build careers. I know Hughsey as a colleague, but more importantly I know him as a friend. Australia knows Hughsey as one of its most successful comedians, the bloke with the unmistakable voice, the quick wit, and the ability to find the funny in almost anything. But there's always been another side to him too, a more introspective Hughesy, someone who's spoken openly about self doubt, who's questioned himself, even while making millions of Australian's laugh and millions of dollars. Lately, many of us have seen yet another side of him, a man speaking passionately about politics and the direction of the country, prompting plenty of debate about who Dave Hughes really is. So today I wanted to talk to the man I've known for nearly thirty years and find out who he is. Right now, this is Dave Hughes.
Speaker 1: Husy, Katie. It's great to be on no filter. What a what an it is for me.
Speaker 2: I'm supposed to introduce you. Okay, you are my friend. Yes, you are my longtime colleague.
Speaker 1: Yep. You are a self made man. Thank you, which is rare. You are.
Speaker 2: Increasingly, it seems, without fear or judgment, maybe without maybe maybe without common sense.
Speaker 1: Do you think, oh, some would say without common sense. Yeah. I think those people don't have common sense, so I'd beg to differ with those people. I think those people are unaware of what's around them and they're too comfortable in their ignorance.
Speaker 2: Well, you know you are entitled to every comfort now because you've worked very successfully in your career for.
Speaker 1: Thirty five years. Getting added, so yes, a bit less thirty. I really started set up comedy in nineteen ninety three. So I started my comedy journey thirty three years ago. Was that when you went to wa Yes, I dropped out of UNI, spent a year on the dog trying to become a professional AFL player. Account I was getting one hundred dollars a games. There was a lot of money back then. Yeah, right, not bad, yes, but it didn't work out. So you had grown up in Warnable. This is a country town in Victoria. Yep, thirty thousand people's yes, probably twenty five thousand there. So it's gone up slightly in population, but a lot in footprint. There used to be a lot more people in each house, all right, Yes, yeah, the population has spread out far and wide, but every house has less people in it. Population hasn't I mean that? Yeah, it hasn't increased that much. Well that's the story of Australia. It is, aside from newcomers. Yes, so yes, yeah we have not. People have been here for a long time and not having children because they can't afford it, which is ridiculous. Do you think that's the only reason? Partly, yeah, I do partly it is well you have three children, Yes, I have four children. Yes, you're way above average when nation building. I'm just you are definitely with four, but four is a rarity these days. Who was it who said?
Speaker 2: Was it Winston Churchill who said one for mother, one for father, one for the country.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's Peter Castellio. That's when the baby boners came in, remember, and I thought, I think he was quoting someone. He might have been, but that's what I remember it from. And everyone you've got a baby bonus and people bought plasma TVs with you. Yeah, that's right. Had a kid who bought a plasma? Yeah, why not go on for it. I think there should be more reward for children. I think people who have children you should pay less tax. I think it's the only way to increase population in Australia apart from immigration. I think this is to work with the tax system. And you've got so many ideas I do. I've only really started into it, but there's quite a few of them. People say, I don't know what people say, but you know, you know what people say. People. It's a wide range of what people there's a wide range of what people.
Speaker 2: Say, so, you know, we know who have worked in the public eye that and particularly in comedy, I think people are polarizing because you expose yourself in comedy and people always want to shoot down someone and they're not funny, they're not whatever. But you have really taken a step outside of that now to the fact that you are being abused by people, some of whom have been your friends, very close friends and colleagues.
Speaker 1: Tell me, I don't give me the name list. I remember I sent your screenshop the other way. Oh yeah, that was right, Yes, called a monster, called a monster by Greg Fleet, who was a comedian. Yes, I've since I've since refir at my ex account, which is my Twitter account to talk to Greg public forum. Right.
Speaker 2: And yet other people on the street and I have seen this, I have borne witness to this. You are like a popular hero on the streets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, so I'm not. I am experiencing something I've never experienced before. It in its in its volume of congratulations on the street by so many people of so many different demographics, so many ethnicities, so many these sort of income ranges. Yeah, a lot of people which I didn't realize. And I think possible partly when you do attain a level of wealth that insulate you from the problems that most people have. And yes, and that's the problem with politicians. Yeah, and you're always pointing out, well, that's when you know And then yes, but then if you do step into that world, you realize these people have been waiting for someone to speak for them. It sounds ridiculous and I sound like a wanker for saying that, But you just need to spend a day with me and see how many people congratulate me and say that exactly that or you know, not just online but in DMS, or you know, just publicly online or but in the street. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: But also, like you said, it's unexpected, yes, that someone who has achieved a certain degree of success or wealth will put their head above the parapet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I mean I got to the Yeah, I look, I am lucky, as you know, I don't have to carry favor to any particular company at the moment. I'm not you know, I'm not a you know, in a media job that requires appeasement of sponsors or appeasement of the government, who are basically almost the biggest sponsor of much media these days because they're the only under advertising. So I don't have to worry about any of that, you know, And so I just I can speak my mind.
Speaker 2: But I think what I really want to get to is your background. Because you were not born with a silver spoon in your mouth. You were not born into privilege.
Speaker 1: No I was. I grew up in the west of Warnable, which is the Commission area Warnable, so the poor area of one of the poor areas. And yeah, so with a street full of factory workers basically, and your dad was one of them. Yeah. He was a painter and decorator who couldn't work out invoicing and you know, apparently was never very good at chasing up bills. So basically, I think my mother said to him, we can't live like this. You're not You're doing work, but you're not getting paid for it, and so you need to find out a job where he gets a regular income. So he moved from doing that to the Neistleigh factory Nestles we called it Nestles. Sorry that good nestle became a trend, you way to say nestles. So yeah, so it was the Nestles. There's about three factories and Warnerable. There's Nestles, there was the woolen mill where you'd made blankets. There was the cheese factory. The factory was there. The cheese factory is still out, so really the only factory that's that's still there where your brother worked. Yeah, there was Fletcher Jones. They made clothes, clothes. Yeah, there was a number of factories in Warnable when this back when Australia used to produce stuff, make stuff. Doesn't really do it anymore, so I don't know why, but I sort of do because it's cheap labor, you know, the parts of the world. So we ended up, you know, just importing all our stuff rather than making any of it. So and your mum, Carmel was a nurse. Yes, she was midwife, Yeah, in Warnable and yeah Corot local towns and yeah, so started in Sandringham in Melbourne. So yeah she was. Yeah, she was a do you know she was a she grub an orphan with her sister, so they grew up in an orphanage Balarat. So she had a really tough, tough no parents, Yes, so it was it was yeah, but she was looked after a sister in the orphanage. Basically she was a bit younger than hers, and then she had four children with dys Yes, four children quickly with my father and yes, and they were like, yeah, very broke at the time. So your twin sisters, I've got sisters or twins there four years older than me and a brother who's two years older them. Mick, yes, and then you yes, So will they be four under four? She had said, yes, my sisters aren't quite four years older than me though, but yeah, so she had four children under four. They had four children under four.
Speaker 2: So and your family life was interesting because you've discussed before. We'll get onto that the fact that you don't drink. Your dad was fond of a drink to.
Speaker 1: Your fond Yeah. I think it's the Irish heritage of you know, it's a big drinking culture, big drinking tradition.
Speaker 2: And well, you know, that's another quote from a writer and I can't remember who it is who said God invented whiskey to stop the Irish ruling the world. Well, you grew up in Warnable, engaging in what was one of two past times for young men in that town. One was footy and the other one was drinking.
Speaker 1: It was a big combination of both really, So yeah, I mean most boys played footy then in Warnable and you know, got really drunk after the games, and you know, punched each other in the streets or tried to, you know, pick up, and I didn't pick up much. I got punched a lot. So have a kebab and go home. Not abab. It was a lamb jaffle. Actually who made those? Not my sister Robert. Someone else called Amrie. The courthouse kitchen. It was a courthouse kitchen, of course, and it was across the road from the lock up. Actually I ended up in a number of times. Yeah, would you end up in the lock up? But getting that drunk that I would do things. I would never a violent person, So I would get punched being a smart ass, and I might try to punch back, but it wasn't very good really, so not really not violence, just being I don't know. I'd wake up there and don't really know how I got there, and I wouldn't be charged with any like offences apart from drunken disorderly, so basically falling asleep on the road. They're probasly saving me from killing myself, really know, from just falling from my car or walking off somebody. Yeah, one of my last times a drinking. Me and my mate Mano. I can't even remember how we did it, but we must have stolen the ladder from someone's house and then we put the ladder towards next to a Norfolk pine tree. You know, the first branch is way by, you can you could, and then the ladder up to the first branch and then climbed to the top of this one thirty tree or forty minute tree. And I'd just remember coming to and looking down at the police with their megaphone saying come down, like I don't know how I got up here.
Speaker 2: Daylight at this point, like yeahach morning. Had you spent the whole night in the tree? I don't know, but I remember we had barbecue. We had burger ings actually with us soon, so we had burgerings. We were prepared climbed to the dom.
Speaker 1: Will. My mate was a farm boy and he would so he just jumped down the tree real quick, and I was like, I can't remember getting up here. Guys going to take a long time to come down because I'm scared now. So it took a long time, but end up in the back of the div van and went to the lock up for you know, another sleep, I suppose.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, and how long was that before you decided to not drink anymore? But this was all this all happened with your decision to go to Perth.
Speaker 1: It was before that. So I well, like, I was pretty good at school, but I wasn't focused. And you know, I remember the teachers calling me my mother up to school between year eleven and year twelve when saying, and the teachers, you know, the principal or one of the other teachers saying, this kid has intelligence. He could actually do well if he can focus. And it was before ADHD was ever a thing. So and and so my mother said, come on, you can do and it was smart as well, so and so I focused to a degree. In year twelve got the best mark for the school. It was the year with the ducks. Yeah, but it was it was a bad year. It really was a bad It was their worst year. I'm sure it was so. And I'm not kidding because the next year, how big was the school year twelve was probably sixty boys, okay, but the next year, look, generally the Ducks would get presented to the to the school cohort the next year at the start of the year. So you know, you want to be like this person. Yeah, yeah, this is if you study hard, you can be this guy. Yeah. They didn't deal it with me. Oh did you not get invited and get invited back? So they thought it was a year that's one to scrub off the But anyway, so I was a day and I ended up with the you know those days. My none of my family ever been in university, and I'm like, even my cousins hadn't been.
Speaker 2: No one had been so calm when she studied nursing. Would have done it in hospital then, which is what they did.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so you study, but it's not like yeah no, no, not a degree. Yeah yeah, I wasn't so so yeah. So but then I thought, what can I do? I wanted to do law, but I didn't get the marks to get into law, so I was duck without getting a muss. So I'm saying it was not a great mark, but I got the first The thing I could get into is in the cutoff. Did you want to be an elite person? You know? I wanted to be a wanker? Basically was information technology. It was the first year, they offered it as a degree at swin Burn, right, and you got it. I got a scholarship to do it as well, so you got paid to do it. So you got to get a degree and you got paid. Wow. And so I didn't really know what information technology was. The computers. Yeah, it was just was on the cusp of the internet, right, the Internet really started nineteen ninety. This is nine eighty nine, so this is right there where it's like all of a sudden, you know, the next year you're seeing jobs in the paper for it, and they're like two hundred thousand dollars a year, like in nineteen ninety or something. So it was like it was just as that that rocket ship took off. But I could not focus. And this again I read this recently classic ADHD. You can get through school because there's a structure that you can't avoid, but if you're real, but if you're you get to UNI, you can't focus. And I could not focus because they have no structure in place in your brain won't I could not. And also I had no interest in all the maths that went along with it, even though it was pretty good at maths. I just had no interesting coding so boring. So how long did you stick that out? I quit after six weeks, so and then you went to accounting. Yeah, but I worked in an abatoire for a year for that, that's right, Yes, which is a brutal way to make a living. Brutal, that's I'm a vegan, but I didn't become a vegan then. But I always say, and I still if I walk past an animal rights protest and I'll ask them you're vegan, and if any of them say no, I just go go home, because you are not helping animals. Because saying up to the cup is if you don't like horse racing, you don't like animals being treated cruelly, and you eat meat, well you're a hypocrite because meat eating meat is cruel animals. That's just that's just the end of the day. That's just it. So and my kids eat meat, So I'm not like saying, don't eat meat. But I know I love me. I'm not and you're always trying to lecture me. No, I'm just saying no, I'm not. I don't think it's good for health, by the way, and that's why I stopped eating. But I did have a crack at Adam Bant, who was the leader of the Greens back in only recently, because he wasn't a vegan or even a vegetarian. So I'm like, mate, stop banging on about animal cruelty or you know anyway, that's it. I just walk. If you're going to talk the talk, walk the walk. Alright, that's all all, Sadi, all right, so back and warnable. Yeah, what was the talk you were talking? I just wanted to be a hero. I just wanted to be I said to my I used to say to my mates I'm going to have a beautiful wife one day, and they said, no, you won't. I said I will. So I would say, like you were still a virgin at this point, Yes, I was. I was desperately self obsessed. I'd like to think I am less self obsessed. Now some people disagree, and I acknowledge that, but but yeah, so I was. I would when I was growing up, I would thought, no one's ever going to love me. I'm too ugly to be loved. And it's like I used to just think about it all the time. It was ridiculous. I was so so wanted to be romantic, but I had no takers, and I was it was a self defeating principal. I would walk past. If I walked down the street and I heard a group of girls laughing, I'd think I would think they're laughing at me. I was, so I couldn't have walked past a girls school. That was ridiculous. And it was like, now, if I walk down the street, a group of girls are laughing at you, they're laughing at me. Yeah, you know, it's a different perspective in a good way. Yes, well, they're laughing with whatever.
Speaker 2: They're like.
Speaker 1: I don't suggest you walk past girls' schools a lot neither. It's not a good look for you. I didn't say, do I say girls school, but anyway by girls women.
Speaker 2: And yet you know because Australian Story did a story on you last year. Yes, and I didn't know this, but bre Our producer told us that was their highest rating episode that they did.
Speaker 1: Yes, someone told me that Jesus I should remember it, Robin, I think, Rob, you don't need to remember. No. But she was lovely and she did a great job.
Speaker 2: But they described you as this is a great description of you, someone caught between self loathing and self belief.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, there's a lot of stuff. It's a classic narcissist. That's morbid self love. I think is the term narcisst. I think the description is morbid self love. And I have been a narcissist most of my life. I genuinely believe, genuinely believe that I have cracked that code, but that I am not someone like someone today said, I'm I mean, obviously I'm on the online. You're you're ruining your legacy, and that legacy what legacy is? It's all that's ridiculous. There's nothing to lose. I don't believe what they're talking about is you're probably your comedic legacy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, So in comedy you are one of the titans of in Australia. There's no doubt, and you're at the top of your game and your stage craft is.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it. I love stand up comedy the most and I always recommend someone if you've never seen me, do stand up comedy live. Don't judge me, don't judge my comed comedic ability until you've been in a room with me for an hour. I believe I can convert most people if you give me an hour of your time.
Speaker 2: But when you started, so when you were growing up and you were kind of you were always kind of an outline, like you always had a pack of mates through footy and whatever. Mentally you were an outlier because you had these dreams for yourself that took you well beyond warnable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I didn't tell people about them for quite a while. But no, so yeah, not didn't want but I wouldn't say.
Speaker 2: Where did they come from? Because the person in your family who always believed in you, because.
Speaker 1: My mother was always absolutely so well, she was always Mum always thought that I I think she thought I had greatness in me. I think she did so, and she always she knew I was smart from the from like I was apparently I was really I would always ask questions about, you know, the world. When I was like three. You could see that I had a curiosity that you know, to be curious is to be intelligent. To be to wonder about the world is a sign of intelligence. And she she could see that in me as a very young person. So yeah, she could see through the way. I was a quiet kid, really quite shy, really shy. I remember I remember being in prep, which is Victoria. That's the first year of school. Others stays, so different descriptions for that year. But in prep I was too shy to talk to anyone, so I would walk around the playground on my own and it was like yeah, so, and it was like I was just yet I was an overthinker. And that's the problem I think sometimes with people who are intelligent, you can think too much and it's not relaxing. So yeah, I was that kid. Then I started playing sport, even at the age even in prepper, I start playing sport, and that got menected, right, that's the language that yes, yes, so that you could speak with others. But Mum could say that I was a smart person and she was yet so she was always on my side that.
Speaker 2: Way, but for them and for your mum and what she knew and the world that she knew, and she was a very salt of the earth, grounded woman who had worked incredibly hard her whole life and forged this family.
Speaker 1: Yes, along with dad and with your dad absolutely.
Speaker 2: But that was also came with its owner chair absolutely different shoes. But when you said to her, I'm going to w a did you say because I want to be a comedian.
Speaker 1: I don't think so no, I did, I, dad said, and she'd help me. I did, said, I think I wrote a letter to the Strain Radio School trying to get in before that. Yeah, before yeah, yeah, And it was a very brief letter and it was funny. I thought. She showed it to me years later said I'm good at dealing with people or something like that. It was, I was right, but it was like it wasn't They didn't. They rejected me, but not that I gave much to reject. Was this when you work at the ABS would have been yeah? So yeah, so and I did a I did a community I got a community radio show actually Dan and Warnable so, which is a three way FM and with mates. Yeah. Well, I had applied for it because I was funny at foot you I was. I was. I was quietly funny and I knew it, and I knew I was funny from the edge of bats. I thought, I've got some I've got a comedy gif. I thought I had a comedy GIF. And I remember lying in bed seriously about the age of thirteen one night. You know, I had terrible trouble sleeping every night. I was a terrible sleeper. Sleep from the age from so young, I had trouble sleeping. Why what was going on? Everything just couldn't stop thinking, okay, generally about worry or worry combined with wanting to be a hero. How can I be the hero I believe I should be? And why aren't I the hero? Why don't other people acknowledge my greatness? Why did they see it? Yes, that was from a very young age, so yeah, like why didn't I get slept in that footy team? I should have been there? Why didn't that girl pick me? Rub out of the dickhead? You know all that stuff. So but I remember think lying, eying, and juice. I think I know what I want to do with my life, and I kid you not the vivid memory of feeling gratitude at the age of maybe thirteen, country lad, thinking I want to be a comedian and it was like, wow, I know what I want to do, just rare for people. How did you know that was what that was? I remember in the family, no god at all, There was no one from Warnable what ever, as far as the back then, no one had ever gone into comedy. It was I had no role models around. I remember in a grade six play like an in pro play on a camp. You know, we didn't go many camps. It wasn't like these days when they got a minute or whatever. And just making people laugh on stage in this little play and thinking, geez, that was good. I can be funny. And so every time I got on stage to win a trophy at footy, I'd made it people laugh. Since I wore on stage, I could just for whatever I had the knack of going, I can make this funny. So and it was just there was speech. I did a speech in year eleven which is probably still my greatest ever gig. It was with a Christian brother, croed brother O'Brien was the class because you went to Catholics. Yeah, so he was. He was a religious education a teacher who he once punched me in the side of the head, like really hard, Like you can't hit me. I don't want to vic and blame. But what had you done? I've done nothing made of my See, one of the angry ones, Moose, had been flicking spit balls at him, little spitballs of paper while it was and I was the only one who saw what was happening. I could see my mate Moose flicking paper at the Christian brother who was at the front of the class, and the christ brother was vague, hadn't known what was happening until he was covered in spitballs and he looked up and Moose was poker faced. But I was the only one who could was watching it, so I was smiling. I didn't want to be. I just I couldn't stop it zom giggling. And this Christian brothers came up from behind me and just can't hit me so hard on the side of the head from behind. It's like he's round armed me, nearly knocked me out for But I never I never lagged on Moose. Did you lag on the Christian brother? No, you're not a lagger. No. I also there was probably not what was going to happen. So it was back in the day when you could get punched in the head by a teacher and he copped it. That was a different time. I mean he would be suspended now when probably might be in jail. I don't know he's passed. I believe he's there now, so I don't know what Whether he was ever dodgy in any other way, I've no idea. Possibly not.
Speaker 2: It's yes, I mean we like to go down the culder sacks. We don't need to go down every single one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of payouts happening. I know that.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's a lot of payouts happening. But that never affected you. No, No, nor any of the kids that you were at school. No, I don't know anyone who's not. So they were in the business of education. Yeah, I mean, yeah, there was a lot of level of frustration with the Christian Brothers. A lot of them were very angry, but I'd never I never saw any There was one Christian brother who was looking back.
Speaker 1: It was weird. He would make boys do angry cats on the ground, so you'd have to crawl around and what's an angry Oh, I don't know what. Something about you on all fours and you'd have to arch your back. Oh that's yoga, ye, classrooms. Maybe it was downward dog. It was doing down with dogs. Maybe kids doing downward dogs for no reason. And also on yoga, the cats not angry. Yeah, it was weird. It was a weird thing. But yeah, so you grade eleven, your greatest ever gig. Yeah, I knew I wanted to be a comedian. I really did. My dream actually was to become an AFL footballer. First get into the media through af right, then it comedian.
Speaker 2: Wow, so you've really had it all plotted out. We'll be back with more from Hughesy in.
Speaker 1: Just a moment. Did you know that you couldn't start, you know, on that quest if you were still in warnable? Yeah. I wanted to get a degree because I wanted to be a huge who had a university degree. So but I just could not focus. I couldn't focus that it read I was at six weeks and then I had a year at the aboutage made me realize that I probably don't want to I want to use my brain because I don't want to spend every day dealing with you know, animals and killing them. And then you know, so are you doing that? And then I then I did two years of a business degree or accounting, which my mates are still my accountants to this day. And yeah, and then I quit that. I actually got asked to leave. Oh did you well? I was. I got through a year that first year of YUNI. You can do without studying, I reckon right, because you just it's pretty simple.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially now because I want to keep kids at UNI longer. Yeah, believing that, so you choose a pathway, so you u first.
Speaker 1: She was fine, but for second, first semester, second, no, the whole actually second semester of second year, I failed every subject and I was I was Also I was blatantly cheating in exams, like just asking someone else, can I just look at your exam in the exam just get I think I think didn't they see the air someone did useless, but also I don't think that they were any good anyway, So he got wrong. It was cheating off the wrong. But I think possibly the people watching saw that and just failed me with every for everything. So I was still quite surprised. I failed everything. But then that was I had to write a letter to go back, and I couldn't be bothered. So that's when I decided to and why w A. I had a mate, a few mates living over there, and my mate Rat was driving his panel van over there. I had a year, actually a year after I flunk union. I had a year just playing football for one hundred dollars a week when that was not the way no I was. So that was my most depressed year. That was nineteen ninety two. I was really depressed. I was really I was playing at another footy club away from my mates. I wasn't going well with this footy club. Well, I got told I was the worst recruit they've ever had. So that was not good. Wow what did that do to your unerring self belief? It was not in a good way. I was, and I was drinking way too much, and I was like, I was just I was in a bad You talk about people who if there was ever gonna you know, And I think the early twenties are really vulnerable time for men and probably women as well, but for men because you're not, I don't know, you're taking life way too seriously at the same time, just doing way too many, you know, things that are dangerous for you. And yeah, anyway, and I was I was not way so. But then I went my actually said to my mom, I think I might have schizophrenia because I was really freaking out and I was, yeah, I was not pot, yeah, but pot alcohol and just a morbid self love and just thinking I'm a loser and so all combined. And she took me to a doctor and he said, you don't have schizophrenia. That's all you just said, basically said that, But you need to probably ease back on the weed. And so I quit weed then and and I did you, Yeah, that was it. I quit weed, cigarettes and alcohol within six months of each other in nineteen ninety two. At the last part of nineteen ninety two, after so we won the Grand I got I left this team. I was getting a hundred dollars a week for to come back to my old team and we ended up winning the Grand final. So it was like, in a way, that was great. And I still haven't won a grand final that club, old Collegiance, so that was their last grand final win and it's now thirty odd years later. So and I was with my mate, so that was good, but I was that was the last, my last hurrah with partying really so. But I got to the tree incident where I'm eating the burgerings at the top of the tree, and I said to my mate then a few weeks where I probably were still getting hammered all the time, I said, I'm going to stop drinking for six weeks. I'm going to stop till Christmas. And this thing probably six weeks out from Christmas. He said, I will too, he laughed at about a day. That's fine. Mate was that mana oh mar oh, yeah, Marna. So he's still drinking, you're parting, So good luck to him, good luck to anyone, do whatever you like. But I six weeks later, I got to I got through that six weeks and I'd driven my mates around from pub to pub craziness as a designated driver, got to got to Christmas Eve and I just thought to myself, if I start again now, I'll just be like I was before. And I just said that was nineteen ninety two. I said, no, I'm not going to drink anymore. And that was the moment I just stopped drinking. And how did that go down with your mates? They took a little while to compute it. And because I was one of those guys, if someone wasn't drinking on a night out, I'd be like, come on, man, what are you doing? Why are you ruining our lives? Get drunk? You know. So I would put the pressure on people to get drunk, and whenever they decided, I'm going to get drunk on party like it just one powerball. Loved my mates getting hammered alongside me. But very quickly they got used to the idea and it was not in this is a country town where everyone got drunk. I think it was Warner will Per Capita back then was one of the biggest drinking towns in Australia. It was a big drinking town. But they got used to it really quickly, and I didn't feel pressure from them at all, really, And I'm still friends with all those guys, you know.
Speaker 2: And what when you went to w A, which is for me, that really marks a.
Speaker 1: Fork in the road for you, which really led you to here. Yeah, my mother cried when Rat came around with his panel van to take me to ways and she must have known that I was that was going to be a moment. Yeah, and I went to w A. I did you drive across a nuther board where the photo? Will? You hit an eagle? Not didn't mean to, but a big eagle got stuck in the real of the panel van.
Speaker 2: What in the middle of the road, so the nuther boar It could have been anywhere when it happened to be.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, we hit a big eagle got stuck in the there's a photo that was holding his dad eagle totem. That's a bad totem. Well, yeah, anyway, so we went we went through Espirants and pembered and beautiful part of Australiat the bottom of the w A and we ended up in a two bedroom flat in scarb which is a beachside suburb of Perth, and started playing footy for the Scarboroughooty Club. And that was hard actually going to a new place where no one knows you as a twenty two year old and telling your these new teammates at a footy club you don't drink. That was harder than stopping drinking with me. What would people ask? Why? Yes, I said, I'm not good drinker. But you had a lot of a lot of my dad said don't never trust anyone who doesn't drink. It was a lot of that stuff going somehow you're not to be trusted.
Speaker 2: So but your father said about me, never trust the dart. Yeah, but at you before.
Speaker 1: It was about my father. Who wasn't about your father. It was before I've never met you. Yes, but he did say never trust Dutch but he since denied that. He said it. Why would I make that up? But so yeah, So I was, yeah, in Perth, playing footy over there and not drinking, which that was hard. But you know what, I ended up so much more social, Like I remember it in Warnable. I one day I got a job selling raffle tickets to you could win a Bart Simpson doll at the local show. And so I'm just standing there during the show, you know, the Royal Show and Warnable saying the people as they were pass who wants a Barts Who wants to win a Bart Simpson doll? My first real sales work. And this young woman, attractive young woman, said you can speak. I said, what are you talking about? She said, I've seen you at the pub every weekend for the last couple of years, and you've never been able to speak. I would get that drunk I would just stand there, but like just staring. Oh no, no, not good. But also without the capacity to speak that drunk I couldn't speak. Was she flirting with you? Did she want a bart Simpson doll? I probably sold her a ticket or two or I know she won, but yeah, so yeah. But then I was as a sober person, I'd say to any young male, if you think that stopping drinking is going to stop you meeting women, for me, exact opposite. And you know what, even back then, when I would say to women. I didn't drink respect, like proper respect like you. This guy is and I think a lot less people drink now anyway, But back then everyone drank. But when I said I didn't drink, I would get I was more chance than I was if I was like, they're going, all right, this guy's got something. This guy's different, he's not one of the crowd. So and yeah, so word work from When did that start to work for you? No? It did. I know you're thinking it didn't, but you did, honestly did. I was right. You could sense that there was a shift in the way that you were kind of yeah, and confidence started to come with it. And then you got on stage. Got on stage not long after I got to Perth, and I said, I'm going to have a crack. A part of being so white, far away from anyone I knew, was that I could fail in private, I suppose, But got on stage first night was frendous. All my insecurities came flowing back. Can you remember what gear you were doing first night on stand up comedy stage. I was trying to talk about being teased at school, like being called frog or other losers. I would have a losers and like whatever, just talking about being mocked at school, and obviously I hadn't worked the jokes out or I was so uncomfortable that no one laughed and they didn't laugh when when you that science was like i'd been I was being bashed, you know. I was so mortified. I'm on stage on stage thinking I'm deluded. I'm not a comedian. I'm never going to work a day in my life. I'm just I'm unemployable. This is all on stage and it's not doesn't So no one laughed, and I walked off stage humiliated, and I walked out of that little comedy club and someone at that as I'm walking out said they were right to tease you because you're a loser. Because that was really hurt. So this was a tough day. And then when how long until he got up again? I thought, I don't do it next week. I'm never going to do it again. I knew I had to do it straight away. I had to get back a straight away, and I did. I went next week, I'm gonna I'm gonna do it, and I talked about having been terrible the week before, right, yeah, and yeah, I've said this before, but Rove actually told me. He said he was there. He was started comedy at exact same time he started the week after I started. So his first gig was my second gig, and he saw my second gig. And he's told me recently for this a strange story that you've talked about. He said, he reckoned I'd cracked the code of comedy within one week because I got a laugh out of the fact that they didn't get a laughter week and so you'd worked out what to do. I'd worked out what to do it. And yeah, so he was impressed with that, even though he said he I remember saying once he was he sort of started. He booked in because I was so bad the first time. He thought, well, I let anyone do it. So I've impressed him twice. I've inspired twice. So yeah. But the third gig I ever did, which is a few weeks later, maybe six or eight weeks later, I was so nervous that I just need a break from And then there was an ad in the paper in West Australian. It said new comedians required. I rang the number and I didn't even know it was the same comedy club, but it was, and they said, oh we remember you, I said, I do, yeah, yeah, you weren't that bad. Come back and the third gig really just it just it took really and that from that third gig, it was like I walked on stage and I had a thought, I'm a winner just for doing this. I don't have to prove anything. It actually just occurred to me and that relaxed me. And then it just I feel like I'm still chasing the last I got that night. So and but that was a night where I floated out of that venue that night, and that's where the night I knew I think, you're right, You've got You've done the right thing. This is for you. And I've never looked back from there.
Speaker 2: But it's not normally just an upwards trajectory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it takes a look. It was quick for me in Perth to be honest, because I was. I actually when I started, I don't think I could repeat a joke. And you know, as you, I don't like to repeat. That's why I don't do stand up and I would I would go on stage every time I got on stage at this little club, I would think if I repeated something I've already said that the barman's gonna hackle me, right. I was so naive, so naive to the craft, and so I would every time I got on stage. You'd be new and you're waiting for that first laugh. Once you get the first laugh, you're fine. But some nights you wouldn't get that first laughs and it'll be hard, and people going, what are you doing, mate? What do you do? You did last week? You got to laugh? And I'm like, I can't, And so I would churn through material. And I was doing so many odd jobs during the day to try to make a living. I was doing all these laboring jobs. I'd get sacked every second day. I was trying really hard. I got sacked from dish washing and I tried hard. I tried really hard, and I could not. I was like, it's like, oh my god, I can't even wash dishes. What about your male modeling job? Yeah, that was terrible. Yes, it was. I put an ad in the cab in the paper labor requires work, and I would get calls from all sorts of people. And I got a call from someone who said they were an art student. No, I'm a laborer, and they go, yeah, I need a model. Was it I'm twenty two, it's form and I said ten bucks an hour, yep, sure, And I turned up to her house in Subiaco. I really it was expense. It was it was a well to do house. It was like this person must have done really well with her student house. It was an older guy and yeah, he ended up winded up dude in his swimming pool. Was he taking photos of you? Well, I don't know if it was a film with the camera. I've never seen the film. I've never seen what point did you realize this is not wrong? It was pretty soon, but I understand how it happened. It happened to me, Yes, you take you you know, he looked at me. I was pretty fit then, yeah, I'm still looking how it looked. Yeah, so I was lean, I was, you know, a muscle. It wasn't that much, but it was muscle. And but he was must have been happy enough. And he said take your shirt off. Sure, and take take your shirts off and you're on a but you're on a lie wind up on a lilo in the back of this in this pool, in my undies. And he said, let's lose the undies. And I'm like, oh, sure, you lost the It was just I mean it was it. I'm laughing through the prism of it being a different time. Well, I mean, yes, I mean I can't hold I mean it's obviously not people have had many traumatic experiences. But I mean, you know, even then, I was did you do that in stand up? I did absolutely everything straight up, so straight away you got the scene. What ever happened to me became stand up. I've said this before in a podcast or whatever I said, And many times. I lost my virginity in a brothel in Perth. And because again I was, I had girlfriends. I just could not complete deal through narcissism. But that's true. I couldn't scissism through morbid self love. What do you mean I thought, I'm not worthy of ever having sex. I'm not. I'm not lovable enough to ever have sex. I'm going to die a virgin, even when you're you're seventeen eighteen, Like, even when you're in the lying in bed with a girl who's my girlfriend, right up with the girls who would be officially my girlfriend, I could not have ex It was weird. Obviously it was weird, but I was so stressed about it. I just wanted to get it done. But I couldn't because I was so like stage front, you know, and so ridiculous. And then I lied about Some of my mates thought I wasn't a virgin. They had every right too, because I had a girlfriend. She doesn't tell anyone, No one will know, right did they think it was odd? The women, well, they were like trying to get it to happen. They were like nice people who like, we can make this happen. And I think eventually I got frustrated. Myster finally liked you. Yes, they saw the talent, they saw them the potential. Yeah, so, but it hadn't happened. So and so I'm there, I am, I'm twenty two, I'm still a virgin in Perth. And I had mates from Warnable who probably didn't even know that I'd been lying about being a virgin coming to a shot and I've been doing comedy like three months about being a virgin. Well no, they didn't know what I was going to talk about, right, But I'd been to a I mean getting deep. But my mate Graham, who was no longer with us, who was he was? Graham was an extreme character who would now would be diagnosed with something he was proper He was right. Have you ever seen a train spotting when the beg Bee, like the young blokes and this older guy would knock on their door. His name was beg Bee. He was crazy and that they have to open the door and let him. Right. Remember the dangerous character. Gray was a dangerous character. You knocked on it, open the door, you let him in. But anyways, he was. He cottoned on to me in perse from Warnable cotton on me in Perth. And one day he said, let's just go to a brothel. And I'm Tosnock. I told you, but actually I told people by then, I think I told him. He said, it's not gonna happen. I can't do it. I can't do it when when I'm not on the clock, you give me half an hour, I'm not going to be able to do it. He said, let's see how you go. And and this and this young woman I should never I sure wish I could find it. I don't know where she is now.
Speaker 2: I don't know that she wants to be found.
Speaker 1: Well, she helped you. She just said just lie back and just just let me do it. So I lay back, and before you knew it, it was happening. The funny thing is once it's happening, it's like, yeah, well I need it. I need to I know we're being crassy, but I need to whatever. I need to complete this mission, if you know what I mean. Of course, And then, but you think it would take two seconds because it's my first time, it was exact was. It still took a long time because I wanted because it was part of me like, oh no, you you want it to happen, so it's not so I'm not getting to the end. So you were still in your head. Yeah, but in that way it would work for me because it was like I've got control, I can't, so we end up in a number of positions. On my first time, I'm just saying it was a wind. I was like, it's now filter felt sufficed to say I was overjoyed, right, and then that would have changed everything as well. Well. Yeah, but also the next night I had a comedy git with all my friends there, and you talked about it. I went through the whole story on stage as a new comedian, right, you know, and it was really funny, Like I made it really funny. Within twenty four hours, I had an ability to turn my life into comedy straightag I still do. Yeah, so not still so still Whenever something happens to me, I think there's comedy here, no matter what it is. And that's why I love about comedy. Whatever happens in my life is funny because it's all your perspective and I know how to I can see the funny bit.
Speaker 2: We'll take a quick break, then we'll be right back with more from Dave Hughes. You were already doing incredibly well in stand up and then you and I started doing Breakfast Radio ticket. Yes, they really took me to another level two thousand and one. Yeah, it did, and so every morning we were making things funny.
Speaker 1: Yes, we had a mean you had an ability with Dave Vanielle as well to start to yeah, make and that was really our show really took Melbourne by storm.
Speaker 2: Yeah we're not number one in the first server on a new radio station, which was only remarkable because every that was technically impossible.
Speaker 1: Yes, and yet it happened. But also we were doing it differently. We're doing it a unique way.
Speaker 2: And we'd come from community radio, all of us commersion. We didn't really have rule didn't we didn't know what to do. So we just did what we always did, which was we just talked.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so yeah, and people obviously still want us to work together again and still fondly remember now, you know, twelve years on radio, thirteen years, whatever one was.
Speaker 2: But at that point, well that was in Breakfast and then we did draft after that, Oh yes, as much twenty yeah on stuff. Yeah yeah, but at that point you were coming from a stand up background and with your attendant, you know, whirly gig of thoughts, you were not very collaborative. Yeah, not naturally collaborative, because the comedian stands there with the light on them and everyone else sits in the dark.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I had come from a different background, so I was very collaborative, and I think at the start you're a little bit suspicious of me about what I would want or what I wanted from the show, or or if there was going to be an ego disparity.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I can't. I don't remember about those days. I just remember it taking off, but also taking off as a group, not as a singularity. The group things that we took off, And I mean, obviously we had our issues over the years, as every duo or trio does so, But yeah, I mean partly was you know what issues we have definitely were partly my ego to with it.
Speaker 2: Not in your ego, your ego. Your ego is what you always were consumed with, the taming of the ego, the recognizing of the ego.
Speaker 1: So it's caused all my misery over my whole life, back to when I was a child, lying in bed crying about not getting picked in the footy team or not no girls at school wanting to kiss me or whatever you know, in primary school. So it's morbid self love.
Speaker 2: But you it's also hard because the nature of your work you need a certain degree of ego to be able to.
Speaker 1: Do that work. Yeah, so I have this argument a lot. I just think whenever I'm at my best, it's so that third time I walked on stage, I was good because I said it doesn't matter. And I think I think getting beyond your ego is where the real work is. And I think that's my opinion. So I could be wrong, obviously, but yeah, so I try, And you know, I've been talking about it a lot lately, but it really has helped my life to not to stop the comparison meditating well, it's just an attitude. Stop the comparison, stop the stop thinking about yourself. Stop wanting like wanting to have a legacy or wanting to have people think about your certain way or you know, all that. It's just absolute noise and that you don't have to you don't have to do that. But along the way, you've also met and fell in love with Holly. Yes, absolutely, that was early. We met just after our radio shows started, partly thanks to it, probably mainly thanks to our radio show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we spoke to her on air after the date where you thought she didn't like you.
Speaker 1: There wasn't a date because I met her at Cherry Bar, which you and your Yeah. So yeah, so not at the time, not at the time, but yeah, so I've seen her out on a night and I was I had a girlfriend. My only other real long term girlfriend apart from Holly, was a girl I had been with for five years in a very tumultuous relationship. So we broke up eventually. Back when you were while starting radio with you and I think you and her had a bit of a you know, she wasn't You were sus on her and she was sus on you. To be honest, So did you think I liked you? No, I don't think so. I just I don't. I don't know about that. I don't think so. But I think it was just like, for whatever reason, it was like you know what I mean, it was like, so I think I can say I didn't like the way she treated you. Yeah, there was a moment yeah, yes, yes, where I turned up to work one day not looking at my best. Yeah, that was when we broke up. But it was one of the time we should have broke anyway, So we broke up. I remember once I got hanged up from one of that Today morning radio show, and because you would sort of slightly get me in trouble sometimes and you'd always have your co hosts. I had shoes on one day on a Saturday morning, and I might have set off air that the you know, the person who brought me that sold me the shoes was pretty or something, you know, and then it ended up on air on Saturday morning. So I remember walking getting home to my house, so I was living with my girlfriend, and she opened the door, looked down on my newshoes and just slammed the door in trouble. So that sort of thing that's a very standard sales device.
Speaker 2: I know that, but it was my husband was a sponsor of green Peace for many was a pretty girl bailed him up the shopping center.
Speaker 1: Two days ago. Wanted more money. Yeah, they're already giving him money, but I want more. And that was because of a pretty backpacker seven selling thirty years ago. That's a pretty standard. Yeah, I get it, believe me. But she was looking for and to get angry, and that was anyway. Holly is very temperamentally different to you, Yes, but she still has you know, you know, everyone, no one's perfect, but yeah, mate, compared to you, she's perfect. Well, I don't take that away from her. The woman is a saint. She loves issues. I mean, she loves you.
Speaker 2: I often say she's like Maria from the Sound of Music. She's a very beautiful, humble Yeah that's fair loving. Yeah, also exquisite looking woman who seems to be totally without any of the ego that plagues you. Yeah, definitely, And that is definitely. That's a win.
Speaker 1: And I would say to my kids the main thing I say to my kids now is honestly my main advice, which I said to my son even last night, as I drove Mane from his shifted Woolies. I said, Raffi, who's now seventeen seventeen two. You be at Wullies right now. He does too. He's a permanent part time just Sunday afternoon. We don't need to know fivence Monday night. Put in ten hours and he's doing well. He's still for money and he's very all money every day. So as long as he's saving it anyway, and I want him to put it in. So what was I saying? I said, as I said last night several times, the biggest win is in life are the ones who realized being alive is the only thing, the only when you need. And the people who realize that life is a gift and it's a we don't know what we're doing here and just enjoy it. The biggest win is in life. The most relaxed people are the biggest win is in life. All Right. You say this to your kids all the time. Every day is motivational. Yeah, they tell me to shut up, But I hope it's getting through and I think it is.
Speaker 2: I think it is okay because in quite recently you've had what some.
Speaker 1: Would call a pivot with the political stuff with the politicals. Yeah that was. But how do you reconcile that we're happy to be alive? Yeah? I mean I do, because I think you can be happy to be alive and still call out and be angry and still call out bullshit. Yes, okay, So that's what I honestly think were the changes that were made after that budget. And a lot of people don't even really aren't aware of it. It's just that it takes away people's motivation to get ahead in life. And that's really makes me angry because you know what, I've used how it was to get ahead in life, and they've taken that away from people, and.
Speaker 2: So have the politicians. Yeah, and that's always been a pathway for Australians. So I understand, but.
Speaker 1: I didn't even ever do. I never, And I need people to know this because it annoys me. I never negative. I never negative gear of property. I hate that. I hate right, I haven't taken advantage of No, I haven't, So they've taken more advantage than I have. People are calling me a slum lord or whatever somebody years, you know, some of those slaps. I we're renting people who don't have much money. Correct. Anyway, So I know I know who those people are so and I know that there would literally be hardly anybody in Australia who would be renting out a two bedroom apartment to someone who they feel is in need for one hundred and twenty and one hundred and fifty dollars a week. Yeah, so anyway, and you've always been a very generous person. I'm not, but I'm not like my president. My wife wants to be more jourinous. She wants to give us all our money away. I'm saying no, we're not getting it all. But anyway, so I yeah, I want people to have that right too, And it's mainly through that I want people to be able to go. As I say to my children, I say, guys, you work a shift at woolies, you make fifty bucks or one hundred bucks. You can buy some shoes which you'll throw away any six months. Or you can buy some shares in a company, often an Australian company, because they have good dividends and go and that you can sit that there and you can the dividends that that company pays you get, but the share stays there and over time you accumulate more shares, and you still get the income from those shares, but you can stop being a wage slave, so you can use the money that you make now in small increments to eventually give you yourself financial freedom. Okay, how's your twelve year old daughter when you're saying this to her? Well, she needs to know, and she needs to know, so I honestly, that is a way for anyone to make their way in this world financially. This government lied before the election. When they asked one hundred times were they going to change these rules? They said no because they knew it could risk their re election. So they've lied deliberately to get reelected. Okay, that angers me. So you have lived through a lot of governments lying yeah, this is the worst ever, right, that's why this Yes, no other government, and that's what people say. I was on the phone today Dave Thornton, who's a friend of mine. He does an impersonation of me. Good luck to me. He's done it for you twenty five years. He dropped off for a bit and now you've recognized Yeah, so he rang me. I'm not complained about this latest thing he's doing at all. He can do whatever he likes. He goes, I just want to talk to you about it, and I said, your mate, look, you can do what you like. I think you're writing needs to improve because it's not there's no there's no, there's not much to it.
Speaker 2: And also so he's basically for people who haven't seen it, he's impersonating you, so pretending he's you. He gets in the shower. I'm not going to chain this red knob. This is labor blood. And I just don't want to pay tax. I hate negative gear. I want a negative gear. I've never negative to get it probably might and that's all. And there's a lot of people taking the piece out of me and I'm happy to provide laughter. You know you've been taking the piece out of me for thirty yes, so and I'm happy for a laugh to laugh, and I don't care how it happens. Yes, But and I just want to people to know that what I'm trying to do here is not about me, because I honestly, as you know, money's not an issue. I all my most of my wealth now is in the share market and none that's getting changed.
Speaker 1: Whatever it's like, it's not. It's not in housing. Melbourne Housing has gone backwards in last year. Okay, ye, So, but I want people to have the opportunity that I had, which is to acquire financial freedom through hard work, and that hard work turning into buying assets.
Speaker 2: You know what's interesting your conversation that you're having with Raffi about the fifty dollars that you've visited Will Works. You've already paid tax on that. Yes, so you're not talking about not No, you've already paid tax.
Speaker 1: And any of those and you pay tax on any dividends you get from those companies.
Speaker 2: And anything you buy and any service that you absolute in, any car you drive, and any house you buy.
Speaker 1: And but what what people? Why don't people have realized that the ridiculousness of what they've done, and again, none of it is legitimate because they hit it from the electorate because they knew they wouldn't get re elected, And it's already playing out in the economy like it is an absolute nightmare, these idiot politicians. I say it because I fly, you know, I fly economy all the time because I don't want to waste money. I walk past these idiots in business class who have put the country in a trillion dollars debt, still sitting in business class between Melbourne and Sydney, which is an hour, which is ridiculous, But they don't understand. They're prepared to waste hard working people's money and do decisions which put the country further in debt. Australians now our standard living living is lower. It's gone down for the first time in ever, basically because the decisions they made. And they're still in first business class talking about fairness and it just it drives me insane. Okay, so how do you how do you control this awareness? People aren't aware of it? No? No, how do you control your anger? Yes? And like how do you channel it? And what is the endgame for you? Not? I don't want. My ego is completely satisfied with whatever has happened in life. I honestly could not care. It's not about me. I honestly, I know people won't believe me, but I if they would just come to their senses and stop wasting people's money, because okay, and I would just want a government who go, all right, it's your money, We're going to keep it in your hands because you know what to do with it. Because we're just going to waste it. And we're going to make the country poorer. The more we take off you, the poorer the country comes becomes. Because we don't care about the money. We didn't earn it, we're not smart enough to use it properly, and the country is going to get poorer. So leave as much money as you can in the hands of the people who made it. All right, I'm less concerned about the government. I am. I'm concerned about our future.
Speaker 2: I'm more interested in what this does for you. Well, do you know what I mean? So you've spent all this time, you said your ego. That's been the greatest battle of your life to keep your ego and keep whatever. But you cannot tell me, Hugh, And I know you so well that you're when you're walking down the street and people coming out of small businesses to give you a hug, shake your hand, keep going, mate, that you are not getting that Pavlovian response that dopamine ding ding.
Speaker 1: Well, of course, I am, so how do you? I could you not if if there was a government who would respect people's money and lower the government in Australia's got so big. We've got the biggest public service in the world, and they make so much money. But also you know why we've got the biggest public service in the world. Why, Well, because they vote for the government. I know that's what happened. I understand that, and I get it. Self interest is self interest is the greatest motivator.
Speaker 2: But what's happened to you now is you are now seen as once where you were once one of the brethren.
Speaker 1: Because it's a great for everyone listening that Kate was under this way before I was. Kate had Kate's no bullshit meet up was way ahead of mine, and she was more into this way of thinking, into realizing we're being lied to way before I was.
Speaker 2: And I actually believe that there's no This is my personal belief that people have replaced in their life where once there was church or whatever. As people have moved away from that, they have moved towards other things to fill the spiritual void. So they've got their sport clubs, they've got politics, and so they believe they are so religious in the zealoutry about whatever their political beliefs are.
Speaker 1: And people need to know I voted for Elbow if they don't know I voted for this guy, correct, So I'm not like this is.
Speaker 2: But my point is that because people are feeling a spiritual void with this belief or you saw during COVID where how people were about science during COVID.
Speaker 1: Him filling the void. COVID freaked me out, you know that.
Speaker 2: But what happens now is that you are taking on people's religious zealotry. Yeah, well, look, and their religious zealotry is about their political affiliations and in showbies. And this is why I think a lot of people have lost faith with showbies. They tend to be left leaning. Well, you know, that's interesting, and of course they do. And you see that with basically no one supporting a Republican party in America, no any showbies but Hardy. So yeah, that's what's really shocked me is I had no idea, honestly, no idea how many people who aren't in showbies or don't have a profile, how many people were waiting for someone in showbiz or someone with a profile to say what I've been saying. So I had no idea, no idea what people were thinking out there. But yet now you who has always been left leaning from the background that we've discussed, now you discussed you're just dismissed as a right wing nut job by people who don't want to discuss what you're saying. Yeah, absolutely, and how does that feel? And how does it feel within the fraternity of say comedians, Yeah that you are like yeah a karah.
Speaker 1: Look to be honest, I don't care honestly, and I what if someone is like that towards me? I think, good, I now I know who you are, Jane, So I now I actually I am happy for people to express that opinion towards me, because then I realize who they are and I know who is the one who has the closed mind, and it's not me. So that's my opinion at least. So I've got no I've got no issues. I will be kind to people as I always have been, and people can lie about me if they want to. You know what. I recently a quote from Kippling actually came to me. I thought, yeah, now I really get that, and it's that's the poem if if I can keep your head when if you can, if you can you know how I learned that on the back of people's toilet do I think if you can gather up all your winnings in one turn of pitch and toss and lose and keep going and don't never breathe a word of your loss. Yeah, I love that poem. But as there's a line and if, if, if you can stand your words being twisted by knaves to set a trap for fools, And that's I feel, really feel that that line. If you can stand for your words to be twisted by knaves, and you know what knaves is, look that up K and a V. I imagine arseholes, but whatever to be to be a trap for fools, And that's happened to me recently actually, So in this way, the people want to turn what I'm saying into a trap, and they have and other people have believed them, and those fools have believed them, and that's and that's it's interesting. But there's a there is an agenda by and I get it by people who some what I put this out the other day, I said, this is what I wrote. This is what I did as a reel, which is, you know, it's heading towards a million views, so it's done. Well, yeah I know that, but at least I'm getting but I'm getting but the work, but that's getting out there, and I want these probably I said to That's what I wrote. I said. I said, I want to speak to all my all the people who have criticized or ridiculed me recently, and I want to I just want to say to you guys, if you're just doing it for if you're if you've criticized, ridiculed me for trying to keep the government to account, and you're just doing it for likes or views, you're selfless because there is tax payer money to be had. You deserve it. The government is willing to pay you to diminish its critics. Take that money. So that's the thing, and I know they are. What have you been offered? I've been offered money by business people to continue my crusade. Honestly, I have by very wealthy people. And for you to say no, I've said no. I know that must have heard. I don't need the money, right, I'm not doing it for money, so it's not I honestly don't need any money to continue what I'm doing. I've got enough money. And that's why when people say you're only doing it because you want to protect your money, my money's fine. It's Look. If I had spoken everyone twenty years ago, I would have told them I should have said, which I did. I invested in American tech stocks twenty years ago because I could see the future. I couldn't see it nineteen eighty nine, but I could say it twenty years ago. So money is not an issue for me, all right, But you know what is an issue? But I don't want to I'm not getting paid for anything I've done. You're not going to politics, No, I don't know. But no, I'm not. Well, you're in politics. I know. I don't want to be in posts. I don't. I just be aligned with a party. I'm not aligned to a party. Look in Victoria, I'm going to put it out there. I'll put it out there right now. I am. I'm in the corner of Jess Wilson, who's a liberal leader. No, I want them. I want Victorian Labor has to go. They have to go. And Elbow is too connected to Victorian Labor, they are he has to go as well. There's too much criminality going on and it has to stop. All right.
Speaker 2: So when you say things like that, yeah, how is it for your wife, who's a state school teacher?
Speaker 1: No, she's so anyone in Victoria.
Speaker 2: Everyone in Victoria no, No, I just mean it wholly in relation to being married to you.
Speaker 1: Look, she's had a lot of people at school going, I like what your husband's doing, people other teachers. Yeah. Absolutely, definitely she had any blowback, No, not really. I mean I'm not saying she likes she doesn't like any she doesn't like it, she doesn't like No, she doesn't like I've said to her, Honey, this is I'm sorry, but I'm really well, I'm talking out for the future of the country. I know it sounds dramatic, but I really, I really believe that we've got to change what we're doing. Otherwise we're going to really go down a plate to a path that is really going to be It's gonna be dark for our kids.
Speaker 2: So I really believe in this, I really do. She could have had such an easy life, Holly. She's OK, and she can divorce me to any moment. She can take a lot of money, and I do.
Speaker 1: You want to know? Do you want to know what she loves about you? Absolutely if you had texted her of him, well recently we were in contract, right, we have robust conversations about Yeah, yeah, have robust conversations sometimes I think I'm talking to my detractors, I'm living with my detractors. I'm paying they can take half my money. What are the kids?
Speaker 2: What do the kids make of it? I'm are they like old man yells at clouds.
Speaker 1: Well, the other day one of my daughters said, and I pulled up, and she said, who cares? She said, like, who cares what an old white man things? And I said, no, that's funny, But let's have a look at a lot of old white men have sacrificed a lot so that you can have the life you've got. So just just just pump the brakes on this stuff, you know, right, seriously, just pump the brakes on who actually has given you the life you've got, And that's it. I'm a bit sort of yeah, I am like this stuff. And the schools, the indoctrination in schools has gone too far into this bullshit. So yeah, I think we need to just realize and go back and realize, you know, a lot of old white men have done actually really good things. I think that's reasonable to say.
Speaker 2: I worked with an old white man and I found out after two years he was getting paid forty percent more than I was for doing the same radio shop.
Speaker 1: I did both names on it. That all man did not know at the time. Is that old white man going to pay reparation at all? Not know at the time, remember that, And then I went and dealt with it at the once I found out, even though he didn't ask.
Speaker 2: So this is your wife, Holly, who you've been married to for twenty five years.
Speaker 1: You know what I was in. I was in April hour hour of springs only on the weekend, and I'm flying up there thinking, I think we got bloody engaged in our springs, and we did. You did driving to the airport. So I was going to do it all the route, okay, that's in TheRoom. That was back when you were allowed to climate. So now she already knew not to climb all the route and you didn't. But I had spoken to a local, an indigenous local at the time, and said it okay to climate. He said, mate, go for it. Just don't have a heart attack. It's okay. So that was that was my okay back then. Anyway, twenty years later, I was in, I was springs on my own thinging, I think this might be to the day that we're going to engage.
Speaker 2: We're being together twenty four years. I love that Dave is curious about people. He is a kind and empathetic person, and he asks interesting questions and genuinely listens to people's answers. He's open to changing his mind, which is a rare trait, and he doesn't want to exist in an echo chamber, which is also rare. I love his commitment to self improvement. I love the way he finds joy and humor in silliness and has taught our teenagers to do the same. He's a great dad, very open and honest with the kids about his successes and failures. He wants our kids to be kind, respectful, hard working, and happy, and he models these traits to them every day. We argue about politics, but it's never personal, and he's interested in all of our opinions. And five minutes after a heated discussion, will all be laughing at something together. That's very special too.
Speaker 1: You're meta crime, that's lovely. Thank you. You're a very lucky man. I am, I am. We all are that we all are lucky. We just need to realize we're lucky and just enjoy each breath. Each breath is a gift.
Speaker 2: It is and you say that because I know after this you're going to see your mate in Warnable.
Speaker 1: Yes, and yeah, I mean I mean life can end at anytime, you know, and people get diagnoses, which means it's a lot short than they thought it was going to be. So yeah, I've still got many friends in Warnable who are I grew up with, and we're all kept close to you. Yeah, my mate who I worked at the advertise with back in eighty who's still working there, but he's recently meting knows with the cancer and it's yeah, it's not going to be long for him, So it's yeah, he's a great guy. Two beautiful daughter's still married to the same woman he was going out with at school. I still remember the day that when you lived in a house called the Madhouse, and she was the receptionist at the real estate agent that we rented the house off and on our where the motorbike was inside, there was a different one before that. This house was Uh anyway, the day we were leaving that house, we basically almost burn it down, And she's going to burning down My house wasn't her house. They're still together, Nurrel and Jack. They're a beautiful couple. Yes, so they're going through a real tough time. But then it could happen. So it going happen all of a sudden any time. We're all got a terminal illness, if it's called life. So we should all just enjoy each day. But you can still yell and still truly right right wrong at the end of the day, I have a laugh. Oh you, and I've you know, our friendship spent a big part of my life, and I fail yours, And yeah, so I love you and I loved the white Knuckle ride. You take us all loong? May you live in interesting times? And I think we are well.
Speaker 2: You know when the Chinese said that it wasn't a blessing, Yeah right, apparently it was a curse.
Speaker 1: But but whatever we I think comfort turns into harshness. Yeah that yeah, good mate? Good mean what is it? Soft mean make hard time? Times?
Speaker 2: Hard mean, make good times good times? Make soft means soft mean make hard?
Speaker 1: Yes, so it's a cycle. Yeah, it's a cycle. There you go. What are you? You're a hard side? I remember I was walking down the street the other day and the scroop of bandidos were sitting at a sitting at a bike. Yeah, because bikes have been very connected to what's been going on in I've been very vocal about it. So and walk past. I hope they don't recognize me, and kept walking and then I heard us a ship and walk around the corner and he's kept yelling ship, I'm going to go back. So I went back to his bandido sitting there, I just wanted a photo set up a great guys. So yes, I could have walked away scared, but I walked back and faced it and then got an ego boosts. So you know when you were thirteen and dreaming of being a hero, Yes, every night in bed, kicking the winning go on a Grand Final, hitting the run that makes us win the ashes, or hitting a tennis shot that made me win when Wooden holding an Oscar as the best actor? Is what you're doing? Now? Does that make you feel like a bit of a hero? It probably does, but I don't, honestly, just think about it for a moment, does it? I think it does. I want to forget about myself, honestly want to forget it myself. But I don't think you do. I don't think you do. Oh you would be doing this, I know, but everything is temporary. So I know, I do this and everyone calls me, you know, not everyone obviously something like me, but a lot of people go, I love you or want hugg you, but in that way, and then I'll be where's everyone want to hug me? What were you doing next? Thanks hughsy goody, Katy. It's fun.
Speaker 2: One of the privileges of this job is getting to sit down with remarkable people and hear their stories. Every now and then, though, I get to interview someone I've shared a chapter of my own life with. I've known Huey for more than twenty years, nearly thirty.
Speaker 1: In fact.
Speaker 2: We've laughed together, we've worked together, We've watched each other grow up in many ways in public. He was there for me like a soldier when my eldest son, Lewis, was diagnosed with leukemia, when his own son was only a few months old. What I was reminded of today is that beneath all the comedy, all the opinions, and all the noise, Hughesy is still someone asking the same questions so many of us are asked, Who am I, What's enough? And what really matters? I'm your host, Kate line Brook. I thank you for listening to No Filter. If you enjoyed this episode, please follow the show, leave us a review, and tell someone you think would love it also, And I will see you next time.