Speaker 1: You're listening to a Muma Mia podcast. Mama Maya acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on.
Speaker 2: I am pregnanty.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Hello Bump. We're making pregnancy less overwhelming and more manageable. I'm Grace Ruprey. I'm pregnant for the first time and it's probably at the point to start making bets on the day that your baby will come.
Speaker 2: I'm Jana Pittman. I'm a former Olympian, mother of six little humans, and I'm a training obstetrician and gynocologist.
Speaker 1: Each week, we'll be holding your hand, week by week through the mysterious, perplexing, and sometimes very silly miracle that is pregnancy, all the way from a poppy seed to a pumpkin.
Speaker 2: Week Oh, get this thing out of me.
Speaker 1: Thirty nine? What size is our baby?
Speaker 2: I don't know what a jack fruit is, but apparently that's what Google says a baby is at this size.
Speaker 1: I wrote, just big, just big.
Speaker 2: Yes baby, Well, we hope babies just big at this point, but yes, most babies are nice grown between around the three point four to three point five kilos by now.
Speaker 1: And what have they developed or they're just ready. They're ready.
Speaker 2: Thirty nine weeks is that milestone. So a lot of obstetricians are sort of saying, okay, anytime now, all right, let's come baby, let's go, let's go, because we know that at this point you have done a wonderful job. The baby's fully grown. There's very little benefit. I mean, don't get me wrong, there's still the growth of fat, the nutrition and all that kind of stuff that mummy can provide, and we certainly do not do in most public hospitals won't do an induction before forty one weeks for a well healthy mummy. We wait for the spontaneous lay because we know that's better for baby's lungs, it's better for mum's overall experience, and it's better because baby will get into a good position to come, hopefully in the birth space. But you know that, we do know that if Bubby needs to come, it is very very safe. Now, even if it's just mum's choice to have a baby to be birthed.
Speaker 1: What's happening. What's happening to me and what is happening to our bodies?
Speaker 2: Your stretch marks are getting more if they're going to be there your cervix is hopefully thinning out and getting very ready for birth lot more discharged. So it's very similar to the last two to three weeks. It's just that now it's real. So now tightenings are probably contractions. Your leaking is probably amniotic fluid. So all the things that we query as to whether it might be labor are very likely now labor.
Speaker 1: Well, look, I'm not a doctor. When your placenta gets tired or old, when it comes out, does that does it look like it's organ that has gotten tired and old?
Speaker 2: Occasionally, Yeah, so we call all placcea insufficiency. When when I like to say calls tired and placenta gets tired. You can sometimes see it smaller in size. You know, it's got everything, and it's just particular like it's just little. Sometimes the vessels. It's got this quartz called Warburton jelly around the cord. Sometimes it's just a really skinny, I'm sorry, but pathetic looking little cord. Sometimes it's got the li infunctions all over it. So little areas where it's obviously blown, like little parts where the placenta's actually died. It's sometimes you can even see blood clots or it's abrupted, and sometimes you can just see calcifications. Now, calcifications percenter after forty weeks is actually some are quite common, so it's not a sign of placentlence efficiency. It's just a sign that it's been working really hard for forty plus weeks. But it's amazing. I love placenters, just say ye, so I inspect all the placenters afterwards because I just I don't know. I find them so incredible that we grow a whole organ to support our baby and then it's done.
Speaker 1: How many women want to see their placenta?
Speaker 2: Oh that's okay, I thought the don's how many people want to eat their whole center? But okay, I do.
Speaker 1: Have that question as well, because I know that they can become a pill of some sort encapsulate them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, most people want to see their placenter, so there's lots of well, I think it's more that they want to have a little look and gross. I just it's just very do you want to see your placenta when That's why I laughed.
Speaker 1: They're so beautiful.
Speaker 2: They've got one side is obviously it's all covered in the beautiful veins as well, so you can actually see how the blood flow actually flowed into the placenta there. I mean, you don't have to You can always get someone to take a photo of it and have a look later.
Speaker 1: If you have a cesarean, do you have the same option of being shown it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Absolutely, Okay, yeah, we exactly the same thing. So the same process is that gets put in a little white bucket and then they ask mum afterwards, would you like to see it now. The caveat there is if there's something wrong with your placenta and we need to send it for pathology, so we can still usually show you pretty quickly, but occasionally there might be a reason we send your placenta for histopathology, which means we look at it to see if there's anything abnormal with it, or it might get used you know for like, you know, if there's something wrong with your baby, to check if there's a genetic issue and things like that. So we use the placenta sometimes for a diagnostic reason.
Speaker 1: Interesting, but otherwise.
Speaker 2: You can usually get thrown out. When I say ninety to nine persent of the time we get thrown out. Some people take it home and bury it under trees and things like that certain religious groups and things that do that, and there's definitely some people encapsulate it.
Speaker 1: When do they put that request in to keep their placenta.
Speaker 2: Well, look, we ideally have it before you arrive because often hospitals don't have fridges, and it's obviously human. It's a human product, so they don't love them just sitting around unrefrigerated and whatnot. So it normally needs to be something where we sign a document like a release of tissue document, and the plasenta needs to be picked up quickly by a friend or family member.
Speaker 1: In an esque.
Speaker 2: It's in a little white to little like a little white almost looks like a paint tin, interesting with your with your MRN and your logo and your name on it, so it doesn't get mex up.
Speaker 1: So people who do put it in a capsule or get it in a capsule one. I have no idea where these services exist. But what are the perceived benefits of it? Yeah, I think perceived is a great way. And look, I have lots and lots of people who've done it. I've certainly looked into it myself because you know, animals in the wild do it. So I think one of the arguments is that animals eat their own placentas, whether it's for a huge boost in iron. You know, we eat animals livers and things for the same iron increase and things like that, because it's a very dense source. The flip side of that argument is the animals eat it so that predators don't come, so we don't know. We can't ask, you know, a kangaroo why things happen that way? Or sheep is the one I've seen most. They eat their percenters very quickly. The positives I guess may be that it helps with breast milk and when you've lost blood during birth. That's the main argument.
Speaker 2: The flip side of it in Australia is it's not TGA approved yet, so you don't know who is encapsulating, what storage messogs they're using, what type of preservation methods they're using for that. So again, guys, it's a personal just ye you know, I think if you want to eat it raw, fine, that's your choice. As long as you're aware that there could be something infectious that may make you sick, then it's a discussion. You have to have these for yourself, and I know where I sit on it, but As a medical person, I'd keep very neutral in this space, but it's one to have a discussion with your midwife about. There's plenty of duelers that do it. It's definitely in other countries something that's un more commonly, but here you just gotta be really careful and find out very strictly how they preserve and how they encapsulate them. Is this normal? Is normal?
Speaker 1: I've got it? Is this normal question around? You can be one to two centiment is dilated for potentially days or weeks correct one not even know or be having like contractions and just be living life for and not technically in labor.
Speaker 2: That's right. You service could be very dynamic and look after after thirty seven weeks. We don't really mind. If your service is open, it'll eventually either open up and have a baby or it won't. But it's definitely a fear that people have, is that am I just going to drop a baby in the street? Most of the time not. There are definitely women though, that have what we call soolent labors and feel nothing and they come in for a review and they're found to.
Speaker 1: Be fully dilated.
Speaker 2: But it is rare, It's very rare. It's not actually something you want, so people go, oh gosh, I wish that was me. The problem is they can't feel their contractions to push, and so it becomes hard in that second stage of labor because you actually need to push your baby out, and if you've got no contractions or no idea when they're happening, you don't have that extra support to help bear down and push baby down. So there's pros and cons to both, and you know, I sort of look at it and think, Okay, look, an open service is always a good thing after thirty eight weeks because it means that hopefully, if worse clam scenario and we needed to do an induction, we at least get that process started with minimal intervention.
Speaker 1: My toolkit of this week is about preparing animals if you have them. This is the only stuff that I've read, and I want to know if you know more about this, it's probably like you're not the expert.
Speaker 2: No, No, I'm going to have a lot of animals.
Speaker 1: Yes, but personally, this is where I'm asking for your mother hats mother hat. I like it. I can put that on. I've got two cats. One of the cats is already sleeping in the cops. Yes, so we've tried to put stuff in it. But one of the things that I've read about is like bringing something home from the hospital for them to smell before. I don't know if that's more cats than dogs.
Speaker 2: I think it's both from what we've heard.
Speaker 1: And then anything to watch out for. What are the things to watch out for when the baby does come home.
Speaker 2: It's a really tricky one because they're your loved ones too, aren't they, especially dogs and cats, And unfortunately it's not safe to have them sleeping in the same room as the baby. And I think it's a really hard one. And I have woken up to my cats sitting on top of my baby and I was like, oh god, I forgot and it just it just did and I was like, oh my god. Go And you think, oh, it's so sweet. But they're doing it because the bubby is warm, not because they're loving the baby. Okay, they don't love that baby just yet. It's cries and it makes noise and cats don't like that. So it is the warmth of your bubby and it's not moving, and it just likes to sit in that space. So largely things may not go wrong, but the last thing you want to do is wake up and find the cat sitting on the little one's face. It's the same thing of removing things like, you know, the cords on your blinds and just taking them of the way so toddlers can't reach them, and things like that. So it's an introduction space that, yes, maybe bringing something home is a good idea, and then introducing them slowly during daylight hours and you can leave baby unattended. The cat's not always going to get in the way, but just being aware that both are in the same space.
Speaker 1: Is there any chance that they'll show an allergy to them this early on?
Speaker 2: Theoretically, I suppose they could. They build that the IgE response in the first couple of months of life. So I assume that theoretically, But you know, that's have to be a question for a pediatrician, but it's worth asking someone might be able to write into us and let us say, yes, what the answer to that is if they've had a child that's had allergies. I mean, if you have allergies, the chances are there's an atopic picture in the genetic composition of mum and dad, then babies likely to have them, but it tends to be a little bit more later than that, but they can get food allergies, like if you think about babies can be allergic to lactose and things. So that immune mediator response is there. So I guess you have to be careful.
Speaker 1: Do you have any checklists for week thirty nine?
Speaker 2: If you have to have an induction? Now we've talked about that plenty already, but it doesn't just mean coming in and having a putting put in your arms. So we want to optimize your cervix. So that is called cervical ripening, ladies. It's not the nicest word. It's obviously been as I by a man in the past. Anyway, moving on, Basically, it means we need your servix to be open enough for us to be able to break your waters, because we know that if that's the case, you have a much better chance of that medicine we put in your arm, called sintocinin working nicely to continue the labor in it in as most a natural way as possible. And sometimes when your first time mum, your cervix is going to be very long and closed, even at thirty nine and forty weeks and so we have to ripen it, which basically means make it soft. So you have two options, which one is we put it with a servidil, which is a progesterone medication that helps soften and open it up. And the other one is we put a folies which is actually a catholic just like you put in the bladder inside the cervix and it's a balloon. It's called a mechanical ripening, so we actually open the cervix mechanically and that usually goes in the day before. So if a doctor at thirty nine weeks is starting to tell you, okay, guys, it's starting to think about an induction, they'll have to do a vaginal exam to assess your cervix. So my thing is be prepared for that. If an induction is on the cards, we have to do a vaginal exam, so I guess just feel prepared and ready to have that.
Speaker 1: We hope you enjoyed this episode of Hello Bump. We have so many episodes of this series filled with tips and stories from women and experts who've been through it all before.
Speaker 2: You can go back and listen to everything else Hello Bump related in this podcast.
Speaker 1: Feed and while you're there, we'd love if you could give us a five star rating and maybe leave us a review, or even share this episode with a friend.
Speaker 2: This episode was produced by Courtney Ammenhauser with audio production by Tom Lyon.
Speaker 1: We'll catch you next time. This episode of Hello Bump was made in partnership with Huggies Bye Bye