Speaker 1: Hello, out louders, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to what women are actually talking about on Friday, the tenth of July, and Mama Mia out loud.
Speaker 2: My name is Holly Wayne.
Speaker 3: Right, I'm m Vernon and I'm MEA Friedman.
Speaker 2: Whoo, We've got mia On. I love it. And here's what's made our agenda for today.
Speaker 3: Two women with very high public profiles are going through some very private tragedies right now in front of the world, and I really want to talk about how on earth you handle that.
Speaker 4: There's also a very new podcast that's going viral because the hosts are unexpected.
Speaker 2: I think they're coming for our job.
Speaker 1: Oh no, And I thought that I needed couples therapy, but actually all I need is was this pithy new Instagram trend. Just wait and find out what that is. But in case you missed it, there was another big wedding this weekend. So we talked on the show obviously on Monday and on Wednesday and every day really about Taylor Swift's enormous wedding.
Speaker 2: And on Fridays we don't.
Speaker 1: Do news, but I would suggest that this doesn't break that because it's not really news because you've never heard of these people. But this wedding story bumps up against a lot of out loud law, so I feel like the outlouders will be into it. Will Pelts, right, I don't think that's the name that many of us know. But the Peltzes, you do know, because they're embroiled in the Beckham.
Speaker 3: They're Beckham adjacent.
Speaker 1: They're Beckham adjacent exactly. Nicola Peltz Beckham is, of course Brooklyn Beckham's wife, and their wedding a few years ago, as we know well.
Speaker 3: Of course, really delivered.
Speaker 2: Of Mayhem. Taylor should have taken more notes.
Speaker 4: They're like the Harry and Meghan, except they have money.
Speaker 1: Four ouch from Harry and megsim Anyway, Nicola Peltz's parents are called Nelson Pelts and Claudia Pelts, and they have been married for forty years, which is no smaller gievement.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Nelson is eighty four years old. He has ten kids, eight of those are with Claudia, So the empire is big. So we know that one of those eight children married a British prince.
Speaker 2: We know that happened.
Speaker 3: What's so interesting is to me about this story is that Nicola gives such only child energy. I never knew she had siblings.
Speaker 2: Not just some siblings, because she said all of those, because.
Speaker 3: You know they's so. It's always posing for pictures with her parents, her parents. It's Brooklyn and her and her parents. There are never any siblings.
Speaker 2: In the picture because they won't fit in the frame, many of them. Anyway.
Speaker 1: Her brother Will is a forty year old actor and he just married for forty eight.
Speaker 3: Hey, he looks eight.
Speaker 2: He does look really young.
Speaker 1: We discussed this is the age is really young, averys not to ev it's not me. He just married his long term partner who has blistering gen X credentials. Some of us will care about this, some of us won't. His partner is called Kenya Jones. Her mom is Natasha Kinsky.
Speaker 2: Do you know that name at all?
Speaker 1: She was a really she's an actress in a model right, and she's really big in the eighties, very cool, very beautiful, was in like art house movies. Was like the thinking man's obsession.
Speaker 3: For a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, remember I do remember him embroiled in a few dudars.
Speaker 2: Anyway. Her dad is Quincy Jones.
Speaker 1: You've heard of Quincy Jones, legendary music producer, died a couple of years ago. It produced all Michael Jackson's big hits.
Speaker 3: So another Peltz child has married into a Nippo family.
Speaker 2: Absolutely right.
Speaker 1: And the wedding, well, let's just say that it seems that Kenya, who is the bride, learned some lessons from what happened with the Brooklyn and Nicola wedding. And this wedding is all over vogue and it is beautiful. But what is notable about it, Mia, is it appears to have been entirely orchestrated by the Peltzis. Would you agree Claudia was the matron of honor, so her mother in law was the matron of honor. It would be like Jesse having Mia as her matron of.
Speaker 2: Honor, didn't she I didn't even know matron honor was a thing. Well it is if.
Speaker 3: Your very you've made me think about this differently now whole, because it's now all the clear that all the children are jockeying for position to get paid well in the will, and so it's how much can you suck up to mom and dad to get number one positions? So there were so many things about this that were different, and it was an exercise in sycophancy. Really is that how you say it's sick of fancy? I'm looking at you. Do you have a tertiary education?
Speaker 2: You've been planning and giography.
Speaker 3: You're the only one here. So Also, Nikola was a bride'smaid, she was the bride's mother. Nostasy Kinski was completely omitted from the folk coverage, and she's iconic, and the bridal party photo focus was just it. Actually it wasn't her getting ready with her sisters or bridesmaids. It was just the groom getting ready with his brothers, and just mostly pictures of her with her mother in law.
Speaker 1: I want you to read between the lines of this quote in Vogue. Planning alongside family was something I'd always looked forward to. Will's incredible mother, Claudia was the heart of the process, as with everything she does, I found myself learning so much from her.
Speaker 2: I think Claudia planned the way she has been taken as hostage.
Speaker 1: I think, basically, I think what ken you worked out is surrender, just surrender to the Pelts is because do you remember that when Brooklyn and Nicola got married and all the hell broke loose and are currently Victoria danced on Brooklyn and all those things. They then had a second wedding. Do you remember the Pelts house where it looks a lot like this one. I was the only family in the picture of the pelts.
Speaker 3: Is, and nobody danced up him.
Speaker 4: I also remember the leaked group chat screenshots of Brooklyn going burgers for the boys and vegan burgers for the girls, and Nicola going, don't listen to Brooklyn. He has no idea what he's talking about. Guys, I have terrible news. The nuns are cutting our grass. The nuns explain yoursel Dominican sisters. They've started a podcast and it's hosted by sister Miriam. So it's gone absolutely viral. If you're on TikTok or Instagram, you might have seen some social clips.
Speaker 2: There was a huge.
Speaker 4: Conspiracy that it was so wild that this was Ai. It's not AI.
Speaker 3: I thought it was maybe satire. I did see a social clip and then got quite involved and found it quite soothing to listen to them.
Speaker 4: It is amazing. So the purpose of this podcast is to nurture academic, emotional, and spiritual growth by equipping individuals or tools for self knowledge, virtue, and a deeper Relationship with Christ and others, and it is one of the best podcasts I've ever listened.
Speaker 1: Okay, that sounds no offense to all our religious listeners. That sounds really boring, So tell me why is this not boring.
Speaker 2: Here's a little clip of the sisters talking.
Speaker 3: I heard of one since super Lance. She tried to drive the speed limit like the whole time, so.
Speaker 2: She gave up speeding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she gave us speeding.
Speaker 1: She's like, I want to like work on having a work, like a contemplative piece of Like she gave.
Speaker 2: Up speeding for Lance.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't want to be really judging, but I thought that was like DCC.
Speaker 2: Oh, it is very similar to DCC.
Speaker 3: I think that's what's they're rebranding Nunnery.
Speaker 4: They're rebranding Nunnery, And from watching a lot of clips, I was like, why do I want to join a convent? Like, I don't understand why I am so obsessed with this?
Speaker 2: And then I saw it.
Speaker 4: I saw a TikTok by a stand up comedian named Yvette Sagan, and she explained perfectly why we are all obsessed with these nuns.
Speaker 5: Keep getting videos of nuns doing a podcast and I'm realizing that I've never been happy before because these women. They have one of them just like being like, what do you like to do for fun?
Speaker 3: And then the other one's like, I don't know, I just really like cooking.
Speaker 6: And then the first time's like you're so good at cooking, sister, and she's like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just really love it.
Speaker 5: I watched him talk for like a minute and a half about ultimate frisbee.
Speaker 3: There's just like gas each other up. They're just like, you love altimate frisbee. She's like, I just love it. We all flee together like yes, sister, Like, how are they doing this? I know it's because they don't talk to men? Oh my god?
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 3: So it's everything the Internet is not. It's positive, it's optimistic, it's simple. There are no hot takes, there's no snark, there's no Devil's Advocate quite literally.
Speaker 2: Do you know what else? There's no talking to men, oh or about men, or about men.
Speaker 4: They pass the Bechdel test every single time. It is just so good.
Speaker 2: And wholesome, cool Bechdel test.
Speaker 1: No. The podcast The Dominican Sisters, that's what it's called, The Dominican Sisters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, and I you know what, I think we need.
Speaker 3: Aand can you explain to me why they're doing it. I mean, everybody's a brand now because God needs some brand.
Speaker 4: They want to re educate people about Christ, so a.
Speaker 2: Lot of it.
Speaker 4: It's a lot about like prayers and talking about God, which is the only man I guess they speak about.
Speaker 2: But they're all controversial takes.
Speaker 4: There are episodes where it's literally them just talking about their hobbies and what they like to do for fun.
Speaker 3: I would have loved to be in that strategy meeting. Guys. We need to rebrand. We need to rebrand, We need to make the convent sexy.
Speaker 2: Look with the nuns listening to this show right.
Speaker 3: Now, I would like to know if there are any none out louders.
Speaker 1: I will too, But don't start thinking you're going to make a podcast. In a moment, we will be back with a conversation about women going through unbelievable things in the glare of publicity.
Speaker 5: There is no easy way to say this or to talk about any of this. But late last year, our daughter Whimsy got diagnosed with cancer and after a lot of X rays, ultrasounds, and finally a biopsy, they immediately called us and said that she had cancer, told us it had spread and that she needs to come and start chemo treatments immediately. Having found all of this out and navigating this while postpartum, also loving and caring for our other kids at home, also being in the hospital with Whimsy a lot, and balancing work on top of that has been really challenging. And finding that balance is something that I struggle with on a daily basis. Some days are a little easier, some days are really hard.
Speaker 3: And that's Narsmith, the twenty four year old model turned TikTok phenomenon. She's famous for those dreamy, slightly unhinged videos where she makes everything from scratch, like bubblegum, fruit loops, butter cheese, green.
Speaker 1: Gown with a full face of maker. People often call her trad wife, but she's not a trad wife. That's not what she does.
Speaker 3: Well, it's the tradi it's not the trade wife aesthetic, you're right, but it's the trad wife idea of sort of doing everything from scratch and being a wife and mother as your top you know, missions and purpose in life. She's married to another model called Lucky Blue Smith, and they have four little kids, including a newborn, and yeah, it's sort of high Ballerina, but make it high fashion. So she it's almost quite camp what she does. It's very controlled and very esthetic though. And then, as you heard last week, she posted this announcement about her two year old daughter as cancer diagnosis, and I've been thinking so much about it, and she started sharing she said it happened actually last year, and then some people noticed that she went a little bit more quiet on social but now she said, whimsies through the first part of her chemo, the first part of her treatment. And so now she's sharing a few of the images and footage that they took during the treatment. And I thought about what an incredibly difficult line she now has to walk, because she's not one of those influences that has ever talked about the mess of her life. It's always this very controlled, very esthetic idea of what her life is like. It's as if someone did cooking or mothering for Vogue magazine. That's what it looks like. Yeah, and how do you marry the brutal reality of what's happening to her and her family and her privately with what she still has to do publicly because she is. I imagine she's the main breadwinner. She's got a whole lot of contracts and things that she needs to keep doing. She's a brand, she's a business. Influencers are businesses, and so how do you balance the privacy of her children with her brand. It's just unimaginably difficult. And I've been thinking about this a lot, particularly because also last week a very long feature dropped in New York mag about another woman with a very public profile who's also going through an unimaginable tragedy in real time. Can you fill everybody in on Savannah Guthrie.
Speaker 1: So we've talked about Savannah Guthrie on out Loud before. She is the Today's Show anchor in the US who sort of think about like nap bar. You know, she's been on Breakfast TV for a really long time, on a high profile show. It's obviously bigger than Australian telling Bell Doyle at the Height the Sunrise.
Speaker 2: Yes, very much.
Speaker 1: Yeah so in lots of people's living room. And her persona is very calm, very positive, very like nations mum a little bit right.
Speaker 2: And she found out just on the eve of she was supposed to.
Speaker 1: Be flying to Milan to cover the Winter Olympics when her eighty four year old mum, Nancy went missing. And I'm sure this case is ringing bells for a lot of listeners. She has not been found, no credible leads have been found. So at some point and obviously in the immediate aftermath of her mother going missing, Savannah of course used her platform and her media profile to ask for as much help as possible with the case. Here is a grab of her talking not long after the disappearance.
Speaker 6: Who took an eighty four year old woman in the dead of night, in her pajamas, with no shoes, without her medicine? This little person, This isn't that case that you are used to where someone wanders off.
Speaker 3: She can't under art.
Speaker 6: I think my brother, he said, I think she's been kidnapped for ransom. I didn't want to believe.
Speaker 3: I just sad because of me.
Speaker 6: To think that I brought this to her bedside just.
Speaker 3: Too much to be.
Speaker 1: It's just the most Both of these stories, obviously in different ways, are just the most nightmarish scenarios. And so Savannah in talking about that grace under pressure and how you handle this when everybody's obsessed with your case or your story or you She took nine weeks off work, focused entirely on this and the search for her mum, and then of course she had to make a decision whether or not she was going to come back, and she did, and when she first came back the Today Show audience really welcomed her in. There was quite an emotional return. She talked about it a bit, but since then she just she's just been carrying on and doing her job as normal, because what are your choices? The thing that's interesting about your question, mere about what are you supposed to do when the private and public life is so out of whack. Of course, one of the things that's different about this is that Nara Smith in a way was able to This happened at the end of last year, as she said that her little daughter was diagnosed, and she has been able to keep it under wraps, which to your point, Man, if she was a different kind of content creator, she probably wouldn't have been able to.
Speaker 3: Well, we have a comparison in our own Mum and Meir family in the form of Kate Langbrook, whose son was diagnosed with leukemia when she was hosting Breakfast Radio and there's nothing more. I mean the whole bread and butter of breakfast radio as the host talking about their lives, and she was co hosting. I think it was Nova Breakfast with Hughsey, and for the I think it was a number of years that he was in treatment and people did know, but the media never Everyone who knew guarded her privacy ferociously and it was never made public until she was ready to make it public. And I've talked to her. I interviewed her about this actually and talk to her privately about you know, the toilet takes when you can't be your whole self. But at the same time, she said it was a respite, like going to work and getting to joke around with Hughsey and do something that had nothing to do with the absolute crisis her family was living through. She said that was actually a lifeline for her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's a Nara Smith. I think if her content was here are all my kids, everybody knows them all really well.
Speaker 2: But that's not really what she.
Speaker 1: Does like And so I guess one of the things it's all about perfection, yes, And one of the things is that's quite jarring about it, really is it makes you realize, although in the case of Narasmith, it isn't jarring because that is what she did, that we follow these people's lives and we're invested in them, but we don't really know them, nor should we have that parasocial. It's a reminder that Nara Smith is a human. She cops a lot of criticism for whatever she presents, as well as a lot of fandom. But like the post that she posted immediately before this, for example, was a classic, a Narasmith classic, in that she was in a revealing like red evening gown and sonnies that were spon Con and she made this whole amazing meal in her spon Con sonnis and it got lots of followers and it was great and everything. She's been doing that and doing that four months while dealing with a little child in hospital, so it's extraordinary.
Speaker 4: I also think a difference between these two cases is that one is self employed in the other one is an employee, and I wonder how that plays out differently Because I was looking through Naras Smith's Instagram and she's been posting throughout the year, the gap wasn't huge, like it was a big gap between her doing pieces to camera, but she was still doing carousels of like her holiday with her family, and then her last two posts have been about her daughter and her daughter's health journey, And the only thing I could think of is like, what could she possibly post next?
Speaker 1: But I think that the way that Nara Smith has handled this, which is like at the crux of it, as you say, is basically a woman with a job dealing with something very hard and having to keep doing her job. It just happens that her job is incredibly forward facing. It looks like she is held off posting til now because her daughter seems to be doing well. Yeah, her first round of treatment has finished. She obviously feels that now they can breathe out a little bit and go public with it.
Speaker 3: And she hasn't. I thought it was interesting she didn't disclose what cancer it was. She did disclose that it had progressed. She talked about a biopsy. I'm not in Reddit threads, but I imagine there's a lot of speculation.
Speaker 1: But I think that in the long term, what this says about her brand resilience, empathy, Like who doesn't love in a way like I have a lot of empathy for her.
Speaker 3: We should also make clear that we are not criticizing these women in any way. We're very much coming at this through the lens of as if it's not enough what they're going through, Like so many women who are facing grief or illness or tragedy or bereavement, you still have to turning up and earning a living. I think she has to do that when you're one of the most famous women in the world.
Speaker 2: I think she's handled it faultlessly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think pausing, like not telling everybody the minute it happened, giving the family six seven months of privacy and keeping the keeping everything moving.
Speaker 3: Is hipping the child's face out of She's posted photos that show her face in the hospital and the back of her child's head, and that they've had to They shaved Whimsy's head because she was going to lose her hair. So they've what I've noticed, though, and again, this is something that is so such a burden on women in the public eye. We saw this a long time ago with Heather Armstrong, who was one of the original when they were what they were called mummy bloggers, and she had a blog called Deuce and she wrote about parenting, and she was one of the biggest influences on me. I thought she was absolutely amazing and that was her. She started a sort of as a way to express herself. It then became a business. She then got divorced, and that's when her audience turned on her because they had invested in her in this parasocial way, and she never portrayed her marriage as perfect or anything. That was what was so great about her. She was one of the first to portray parenting and mental health and relationships and marriage in all its hilarious, annoying, you know what's in all way that it is. But when she then shut the gate on what she was prepared to talk about when she got divorced, her audience turned. They were like, you owe us this.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's the case with Nara because she's never she's never been in been that. But with Savannah, she's had her mother on the show before. She's spoken that's breakfast television is like breakfast radio. You have to your family becomes very much part of the cast and part of the story and part of your story. And so again, from a business point of view, they had to navigate that. I was watching her do this interview with j Loo and about her new movie the other day and talking about Brett Goldstein and are you two really dating? And she's so professional, she's so brilliant, and I just imagined her thinking, oh wow, what you're going through the awkwardness of it all? And she was amazing, But it was overlaid when I was watching thing.
Speaker 1: But I think that if you watched her every day, you'd forget, like I genuinely do, because I think the thing is is that as you've already made this point, but I think that women and men are doing their jobs every day with all kinds of shit going on, sick parents, trude, sick children, grief, loss, divorce, and they're getting on with it. And you'll be working with someone and you often have no idea what's happening behind the scenes. Now Savanah Grothrie doesn't have that luxury because also what happened to her mother is an enormous national crime story, so every development is interesting to the people. But if you watched her every day, that would just become sort of part of her story, part of her myth. You wouldn't think twice about the fact she's interviewing Jalo today and tomorrow. I mean, I don't know whether it would be a good thing or a bad thing to have closure on such an awful story, but tomorrow she might be reporting on something awful having happened in this case.
Speaker 2: I did read that her.
Speaker 1: Employers, because she's news adjacent and what she does, well, not even news adjacent, but news is what she does. They have barriers and boundaries in place for if what would happen if there was a development in the case, and her not having to react in real time to it, and her being able to come off the show and all those things. I think it's extraordinary. But I think that women, and I'm sure meant to, but we're extraordinarily resilient in the face of this kind of stuff, and I think we get on with it.
Speaker 2: Look at Princess Catherine. She just climbed three mountains.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was incredible. The way she was able to to keep control what she kept private and speak on her terms.
Speaker 1: It started in a shamozzle. Remember when two years ago, Kate, when Princess Catherine was first diagnosed with cancer, it was this global mess, and I think they bungled the beginning and they.
Speaker 3: Learned a lot, and I think what they learned is that people were really invested in Kate. You know, it wasn't just the gossip. People really cared and when she disappeared, people were concerned and they wanted to know. And yes, that must feel intrusive, and it is intrusive, but in many cases it comes from the fact that people feel very invested in their relationship.
Speaker 1: And they handled it slow return, like just dropping her into things slowly, slowly, slowly. And now she's very respective and it's become part of her story and she's raising money for the hospital where she was treated.
Speaker 2: So it's amazing.
Speaker 1: Really, in a moment, we're going to be back in your ears talking about airport.
Speaker 2: Believe me, you might need one.
Speaker 1: Look, I thought I needed to go to couple therapy, but actually I just needed a pithy little Instagram trend and thank God for that. Brent and I are good together almost everywhere except for airports, train stations, shopping centers, supermarkets, all of those places we need a divorce, and luckily for me, that is now becoming acceptable quite a lot of places.
Speaker 2: There's quite a lot of places.
Speaker 1: Let me introduce you to the concept of an airport divorce. This is all over social media at the minute. Because in the Northern Hemisphere, of course everybody's traveling, and down here too, it's the school whole days. Everybody's traveling. And the idea is that very often in couples, and not only heteroscial couples, but it might be your friend, it might be you know, and also same sex relationships. People have different traveling styles, like Mia likes to wander an airport, for example, I've traveled with you, you like to wander. M likes to be at the gate early. Yeah, yeah, right, And this is the case in lots of relationship We all should be Sunday Times travel color Miss Hugh Oliver wrote about he and his wife getting an airport divorced in a column last year.
Speaker 3: And I need to be paged for my flight. Oh no, it's not time to go to the gate until you hear your name called over the loud.
Speaker 4: I need you to stop, because I'm actually getting really anxious.
Speaker 3: He wrote.
Speaker 1: When we get past the bag scanners and snake through Judy Free, the friction begins. I'm just going to have a look here. There's more Wana in the smellies area. You know, we all know that this is like an International, when you want the smelly's area perfume, you know, may the smellies area. I'm just going to have a look here, I shuffled along behind her. She handled the moisturizer for a few seconds and then returned it and again and a third time. Are you just going to pick objects up and then put them back down for half an hour?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, she said, that's what I like doing at the airport.
Speaker 1: And it was at that fateful moment that we chose to park company and link up later on the plane. Therefore, the airport divorced. Our mutual travel history is a series of episodes involving me repeating, shall we get in the queue then, and her responding, but why so the airport divorce. You get through security, you say I'll see you on the plane. Yeah, bye, of course, And this everybody did that.
Speaker 2: No, they don't do that at all.
Speaker 3: Oh I do that. It doesn't it anyone that I'm traveling with. I say see you at security because I like to run my own race, and run is often involved. Because I'll give you an example. The last time I traveled a few weeks ago, I was going to Japan. I was traveling on my own so that's the most dangerous time because there's not even anyone who's like, where are you, So I must have lost track of time. And also I was thinking, well, they say boarding starts at this time, but it's an international flight, so it would take a really long time and I'll just get in at the end. So I wandered into I realized I needed an extra power cord or charger, so I was just buying that and put some chewing gum, and then this woman comes running and I recognize she recognized me because she checked me in, and so she said, quick quick, we've got to go, and we ran. She grabbed me and she made me run. It was quite a long way. She said, I you're the last one. The plane's waiting. This is an international flight. Yea planes waiting. And we ran. We ran quite a long way, and I was like, I kept saying, I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: We should be she should be sorry.
Speaker 3: I'd be in a shop in the middle of the Sydney's International Airport and she said, I reckon remembered you from when I checked you in, and so I've just been looking for you. Look for the brighter colored lady, and so then there were just all people just and then I'm just going to play going. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. No, that is a routine for me.
Speaker 1: For a lot of couples, the airport experience is part of the trip, right, Like you're if you're going on holiday, you don't fly all the time. You're going on holiday. You get there three hours early or two hours early or whatever. It's like we're gonna have a drink, We're gonna do it like it's part of the trip. The point about it port divorce is recognizing that, no, if your travels styles are different, you've got to get divorce. It's like sleep divorce where they say I still love you, but sleep in another room. Yeah, as I say, I think they should be supermarket divorce and train station divorce.
Speaker 2: I just think when.
Speaker 4: We're at an airport, it's really important that we stay.
Speaker 2: In a group.
Speaker 4: Yep, you're not going to like that, and that we all know what everyone is doing at all times. I once went on a work trip to Perth and it was one of those work trips where it was like me and then other journals from other publications. And then a few of us had the same flight back to Sydney and we were sitting at the gate, and then one of them got up to go get a sandwich, and she didn't tell me.
Speaker 2: Well, why would she tell?
Speaker 4: Well, she got up to leave, and I thought we all agreed that we were all just going to stay together.
Speaker 3: You're not penguin. We are though.
Speaker 4: You are because we all need to know where the gate is and we all should walk there together to see where the gates.
Speaker 3: Would always like to have someone to supervise me in an airport, my husband jokes, excepts not funny that they've got me on a little like not a no fly list, but a little thing that it reads my face when I walk in to an airport and they just page me automatically to go to the gate. It happens all the time, like all the time.
Speaker 2: Brent likes to plod up.
Speaker 1: He likes to he'll walk into the terminal once you've gone through security, and he likes to find a seat. Maybe there's beer there, He would like that even better. But he would like he likes to find a seat where you can see the gate. But like you know, the departure's board and tells you we would travel very well, and he will stay there until he's called, and not he's called until the flight's called, and the minute the flight's called, he will be straight there.
Speaker 2: So as I like to wander, do.
Speaker 3: You guys get wrung by the plane much? That's another thing that happens. My phone will oft and ring all the time. I thought, anyway, my phone will oft and ring. Like most times when I fly, my phone will ring and they'll say, are you still catching this flight? And I went, well, obviously, I'm at the airport. We're leaving now.
Speaker 4: You do know, some gates are quite far right, so you have to walk like good time.
Speaker 3: Know this. And also sometimes you get to the gate and you get to the front and you swipe your boarding pass and they say you are meant to be going to Melbourne and these plane is going to Brisbane, Mia.
Speaker 1: No, I actually can't continue to All of the airlines have It's true, they have a blacklist view and if your flight has ever delayed, maybe Mere Friedman's on it. Who knows, if you've messed up a lot of holidays. The other problem with that is you can never get your.
Speaker 2: Can baggage in the thing. If you're late, you have to get in.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 1: I'm a middle ground person because I want to get my hand baggage up, but I don't want to stand in the.
Speaker 2: Queue for ages.
Speaker 4: You know, I was so stressed about traveling with you guys for the Out Loud tour that they put me on a different flight.
Speaker 3: Late to the gate. Baby all the way.
Speaker 5: Vibes ideas, atmosphere, something casual, something fun.
Speaker 3: This is my best recommendation.
Speaker 4: It is Friday, so we want to help set up your weekend with our very best recommendations. Do you mind if I go first, because I'm recommending a movie that is out right now in cinemas. And I know it's a big deal to recommend cinematic movies because they do cost a lot of money.
Speaker 2: We have to take out loans these days. But this is a really, really good one. To tell it to me.
Speaker 4: Been labeled as the Comedy of the Year from the Carnes Film Festival, and it is. It stars and is directed by Olivia Wilde. It also stars Seth Rogan, It stars Penelope Cruz, and it stars Edward Norton And there's no one else in the whole film.
Speaker 3: Oh really?
Speaker 2: It is a play. It is basically like a play.
Speaker 4: It's one location in an apartment, and it's open dialogue. It is so, so so funny. When I watched it in cinemas, the whole cinema was cackling the entire dialogue.
Speaker 5: Me.
Speaker 4: It means that it's all just like it's dialogue first, So it's dialogue heavy because everything else is very simple. So it's reliant on the actors bringing their best game forward.
Speaker 2: Did she write it as well, Olivia Wild?
Speaker 4: It is written by Rashida Jones. It is And I wonder if she's got her new brother in law to help her with this.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, And I've listened to a lot of intusays Olivia Wild about this, because everybody's talking about it. Apparently it's the musty relationship movie and guidant to hear what we said about that.
Speaker 2: But she says she let them in provides heaps.
Speaker 4: It felt very improvised because the acting is so phenomenal. So it's about Olivia Wild and Seth Rogen. Their characters Angela and Joe are in our long term relationship. They're married, they have a kid. They're living in an apartment in San Francisco and It starts off with Olivia Wilde's character telling set that she's invited the upstairs, their upstairs neighbors who are also a couple, Penelope Cruz and Edwin Norton, down for dinner, and it becomes this whole You get a sense of their relationship in the beginning because they just start to bicker, and it comes throughout the whole movie. And then you're watching these two couples navigate each other and it has done so well. They'll be sometimes focused on one person, sometimes focus on a duo.
Speaker 3: It is so interesting because I loved Olivia Wilde's first the first movie she directed, Book Smart Amazing, which was so great, and then the second one went to shit. Don't Worry Darling with Harry Styles and Someone's Battherone and Florence Pugh and Book.
Speaker 2: Smart went to shit as well.
Speaker 4: Like she had to get celebrities like Selena Gomez to promo the movie because no one was watching it even though it.
Speaker 1: Was such a funny, but it ended up being seen as a big success. She is like building a really credible career as a director in Hollywood. Esther Perel is a consultant on this film, and Penelope Cruise allegedly plays her is that does that come.
Speaker 4: Across one hundred percent? And she does it in the most funniest, like slapstick way.
Speaker 2: So she's the relationship guru.
Speaker 3: By the way, very interesting that this is a cinema release, because usually the only reason to release something in the movies is that if it's like Wathering Heights or a Marvel movie. So to have such a small movie release cinematically it's.
Speaker 2: A cinema release.
Speaker 4: I think because it's a must group watch. You have to watch it with other people because straight after the movie, I came out and I'm like, I need to discuss this film because it was so funny. It's just funny the whole way through that there's parts where you forget that your friend will remember, and it's just such a good time. I understand exactly why it's labeled as movie of the Year.
Speaker 1: Do you have one more question? Should you watch it with a romantic partner? Because I I've heard on the podcast some people saying absolutely, it will make you examine your relationship, and I'm like, do I want to do that?
Speaker 2: I think I want to do that.
Speaker 4: I think it'll make you examine your relationship if there's something in your relationship to examine.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that's English. I don't want to do that. Now go with your girlfriend. It's fun. Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Mine is a bit of a sad one, and it's it's a really interesting, hopeful story.
Speaker 2: I hope so, Brent and I. We lost somebody last week.
Speaker 1: A good friend of us from trivia died of a heart attack, a bit like just an enormous heart attack, absolutely out of the blue.
Speaker 2: You no, it is really sad.
Speaker 1: We play we play trivia with that couple. They're lovely, their retirees who lived where we live. They're a bit older than us. We really like them. And anyway, it is a very sad story. But when I was talking to my friend about what happened last week, and she was with her husband when he died, she called he had a heart attack, and she called Triple O and they were Weirdly, they weren't down where we lived. They were in Sydney visiting their adult son, and they were staying that night in a motel in Sydney. And she's just told that the operator on the phone that she believes her husband's having a heart attack, and within minutes about four different off judy nurses and paramedics arrive at the door of the motel. And what I didn't know and she didn't know, but is incredibly important to know, is that there is an app called the Good sam App, as in the Good Samaritan App that first aid responders, maybe nurses, but also just people who who have done first aid qualifications and who are interested in helping people in their neighborhood can sign up for this app, and if there is an incidence of cardiac arrest within five hundred meters of where you live, you will immediately get a notification and if you call Triple O to the emergency services, they immediately activate that app. And so what had happened is my friend it was early in the morning, it was about nine o'clock in the morning, and the operator had alerted these press go on the app, and it so happened that there's an apartment block across the road that some nurses live in. Their app went off and so they were there in seconds, absolutely amazing. So my friend told me about this, She said, have you heard about this app? And I was like no, and she said I. Unfortunately for them it was too late and it's very sad. But the thing about cardiac arrest is you have to act really quickly. And the operator was talking my friend what to do, of course, but you have to act really quickly. And they say this app saves lives all the time. So I called New South Wales Ambulance and I said, do you need more volunteers because I said maybe I could talk about it on the show, and they do need more volunteers, and so do other good Sam operations around the country. So at the moment, the good Sam app operates in New South Wales, Victoria, Tazzy in South Australia. Apparently ACT and Queensland are looking to implement it. Anyone who's over eighteen can register to be a responder and they train you.
Speaker 3: So it's not an app to download for people who might need it.
Speaker 2: That's no, not at all.
Speaker 3: It definitely don't like think it's something. It's not.
Speaker 1: No you you don't need it, you call Triple zero. This has nothing, no, not at all. It's for people who want to respond. And the woman I spoke to on the phone from New South OL's Ambulance said that she had signed up to the app because where she lives she knew she had some elderly people living around her, and she was and they said that often. The way they asked people if you'd like to sign up for it is would you like to help a neighbor, you know, in that circumstance. Now, of course, I'm not suggesting that everybody should sign up for an app like this, because you have to be prepared for what you might be walking into, and that is a serious thing.
Speaker 3: But if you're a first responder, yes, if you've got you have medical training exactly.
Speaker 2: She says.
Speaker 1: A lot of the people who respond to this might be retired health professionals or like nurses who are on matt leave, or you know, people who are basically work in that area or have first aid qualifications. And so you can sign yourself up to good Sam and you become a volunteer and basically the call goes out in that situation and in a regional area. It's like about a kilometer away in a city area. It's really close. And I just thought it was an extraordinary thing out there. So we'll put a link in the show notes for the good Sam.
Speaker 3: App and condolences and love to your friends exactly. She She knows that because of that, everything that was possible, yes, could have been done, because there's I know that in situations when a loved one has to perform CPR and they wonder if maybe they got it wrong, and in most cases they didn't, and they always say, you know, if there's no one around, you can't make things worse, So just always try. But at least she she can take some tiny comfort in knowing that exactly.
Speaker 1: And she also said that the operator, you know, the triple operator, was just outstanding, like calm and talked her through what to do. Like we all know that people who work in those kind of professions and first responders are a very special breed of people. We know that, and it's very stressful. But I just thought the good samap sounds like an amazing thing that we put a link in the show notes so people can can.
Speaker 3: Register if they're qualified. I am going to end on something just absurd and wonderful, and that is Neil the Seal.
Speaker 2: I love that so much, me too.
Speaker 3: Have you spoken about him on the show. I am obsessed with Neil the Seal. Here's Tasmania's viral Elephant Seal. My whole feed is just on Instagram and TikTok is just Neil.
Speaker 2: He loves causing a ruckus.
Speaker 3: He's back. Neil is a one thousand kilogram that's a ton elephant seal. He was born in twenty twenty Nijobat and now he's huge. He's five. He's a male. He's still growing and.
Speaker 2: He's still growing.
Speaker 3: He's still growing. If you see him, he waddles into these streets. He lives in the water around. You know, he's not a permanent resident of any of these little coastal towns. He hauls out for between four to six weeks every year, and then he heads back to the southern Ocean and repeats the cycle. I don't know, maybe somewhere else the behavior is very normal, but it's during it's called molting season. Seals come ashore to rest and to molt, and they play fight. That's what he's doing. Because he does things like he attacks poles. He like knocks down ballards, he knocks down fences because he's like practicing.
Speaker 2: He loves an orange cone training.
Speaker 3: He loves an orange It looks.
Speaker 2: Like he's in it. It's like quite a belltoped neighborhood. It's like he isn't he. I wonder if thrown out loud as he lived there.
Speaker 1: Neil.
Speaker 3: Oh, Please, if you've actually seen Neil the Seal, please tell us. I was watching one reel and it was this woman Neil came and her car was parked in the driveway, and Neil just came and went to sleep behind it. She had to call a boss and go, I can't come to work today legitimately because Neil is asleep by behind my car, and that's a legitimate extremes be like understand, yes, So they've been trying because Neil's not aggressive to people, but he's quite disruptive and he's destroying things. He caused a lot of traffic jams, a lot of traffic jams, and a lot of damage to property. And he doesn't like fences. He'll he'll knock them down. So he watch some of these reels and we'll link to them in the show notes. But he he's this mix of aggressive and rogue but also very lazy, so he'll just be like knocking things down and then he'll be like time to map, time for sleep in the middle of the road. I'm just going to sleep and no one can move him, so At times they've tried to get like cherry pickt like cranes in and tried to like scoop him up, and they've tried to take him back, and at one point they had like a they weren't hurting him, but just to like get him out of the way. But Neil, we love you. You're iconic. Please bear our mascot.
Speaker 1: Absolutely out loud as that is all we have time for on today's show.
Speaker 2: Thank you Mia, Thank you am. It's been amazing.
Speaker 1: We are going to be back in your ears. What are we going to be back in ears on Monday morning? See you then, bye bye, Mamma. Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of the land on which we've recorded this podcast.