Speaker 1: It was a funny thing.
Speaker 2: It was obviously the best day of my life the Aroostorp, and so to also experience such huge amounts of hate, which is what it was. There was varying levels, but there was a lot of just sort of blatant hate and it was a crazy thing to experience.
Speaker 3: Hia, It's free player, the executive producer of No Filter. Today, our host and my friend kateline Brook has very kindly vacated her seat because she felt I was the right person to sit down with today's guest. I first met British pop star Maizie Peters in twenty twenty two when she came to Australia supporting her friend and boss, said Cheron. I remember watching her perform and being instantly struck by how sharp and emotionally intelligent her songwriting was. The way she wrote about relationships and heartbreak felt so funny and specific and painfully relatable. Afterwards, I asked Mazie what inspired so many of her songs, and she said, completely deadpan men, average men, men who absolutely do not deserve the caliber of song being written about them.
Speaker 4: And yet somehow those men.
Speaker 3: Inspired The Good Witch, which is one of my favorite pop albums of the last few years. So today, to celebrate the release of Fluorescence, Maze's new album, I'm sitting down with a slightly different version of Mazie Peters, one who's in love, more settled and genuinely happy. In this conversation, we talk about heartbreak, songwriting, the pressure of turning your real life into art, that viral Taylor swift eras to a moment that brought her both enormous highs and brutal online scrutiny, and what it means to finally move on from mid Men. This is Maizie Peters. Okay, Mazie Peters. Hello, Hello, welcome to No Filter.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, what a treat to have you here in the office. Luckily, actually there's an event going on at Muma mea down the road to half the office has gone because otherwise I think you'd have people.
Speaker 1: Crying at the door. Wow, I'm very excited.
Speaker 3: We did keep it on the download a little bit that you were coming here because we thought no one will go to the other event.
Speaker 1: That's really iconic that I had to be like a secret guest. Were you guys? I watch Australia last night and so you guys are.
Speaker 2: My first Australians on record to chat too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and how are you feeling because it's a fair way.
Speaker 1: Well, it is a fair way.
Speaker 2: But the thing about me is that I am Australian, not in any way in reality, but in my heart. And so I really do feel like it's a homecoming, Like I feel like I'm hum It's my hometown. All of Australia is my hometown. I'm not picky about the city and I just.
Speaker 1: Love being here.
Speaker 2: I love Australians, I love the place out of the country.
Speaker 1: I love of cities. I am just a fan. So it feels great to be back.
Speaker 3: Well, you are amongst friends because everyone is a fan of you here as well. We first were introduced to you when you came here with I'm going to say your boss Charan.
Speaker 4: Yes, Iran.
Speaker 3: Now, for people who don't know that that's your nickname for him, explain how that came about and who edged Charan actually is.
Speaker 1: So is it a nickname or is it his real name? We don't know. It's not for me to say.
Speaker 2: I do think that more people should should be saying ed Charan. I just think it's good for the world and for him and so but Ed and I haven't e shother for a long time.
Speaker 1: I've signed to his record label.
Speaker 2: It's called gingerbread Men, And yeah, we've been friends and colleagues and I've been his.
Speaker 1: Intern for oh wow, maybe six seven, seven years?
Speaker 3: Maybe long? Yeah, I know, don't you feel like you've done the work to get a promotion to be like on stuff?
Speaker 1: I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 2: But also, you know, he's his world's best boss, he's actually won it all seven years. And I'm just really honestly part of the company and trips like this. You know, he lets me come on trips like this and really spread the good word.
Speaker 1: So I am really lucky.
Speaker 4: In that respect.
Speaker 1: And I mean he did bring me to Australia.
Speaker 2: My first ever time in Australia was on his tour and we went, I mean it was amazing, went all around Australia and New Zealand and I got to play. I mean, I think at the time we played the biggest ticted show in Australia ever in Melbourne in at the MCG.
Speaker 1: Yeah at the MCG so.
Speaker 2: Like best instruction to Australia ever. I actually went from Ed Shearan Melbourne. No, I went from Ed Sheeran Sydney Show to Mardi Gras.
Speaker 4: Oh amazing in one ye was Latime of Year as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, three years ago.
Speaker 4: And funnily enough it's in the country now as well.
Speaker 2: Well do you Is that funny enough? Or is that a business trip? Is that what we call a work away?
Speaker 1: I don't like that.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 3: It's like you do your your business conference is in Australia.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is actually a triannual business conference.
Speaker 1: It's just me and Ed Shapran.
Speaker 2: We're on sort of a team's made me every evening just going through our KPIs for the year.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's a one. We do that in Australia because it's our favorite place.
Speaker 3: So let's go back before it, when you were a little mazy b E, before ed b E, before little Maize. Now you're a twin. I am and I think? Are you?
Speaker 4: Are you a gem? And I twin?
Speaker 3: I am a.
Speaker 1: Gem and I twin? Are you a bit?
Speaker 3: We were like into the into the horoscopes?
Speaker 2: I definitely definitely a little bit woo.
Speaker 1: I don't know a lot. That should just be the headline of the whole thing.
Speaker 2: I don't know a lot, but I am into it in a casual way and obviously I am a gem and I twin, which I feel like was of course, I'm a little bit woo because that's kind of iconic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you kind of have to be. And then you know, your last album was called The Good Wirch Tru true. You know, there's there's there's which within you talk to me about your childhood and growing up.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I obviously I am am a twin as you said, Ellen, and the two of us are my parents.
Speaker 1: And it's funny.
Speaker 2: I'm like, sorry, just trying to make a joke, but actually to be serious, No, it was, it was.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 2: I have really supportive, wonderful parents, and I grew up a lot in the British countryside, which was amazing.
Speaker 1: Lots of sort of drinking wkds and fields. I don't have of wahd's have reached Australia. Do you guys know what they are? Yeah, of course you do.
Speaker 2: Lots of WKD in the field and sort of like wearing heels to go out but then having to like put your boots on to go home because you couldn't wear your heels through the mud. And one bus It was very small town, which I think was good because it meant that I just spent all my time writing songs and being a busker and playing in pubs and ale festivals and apple pressing festivals and I mean talent competitions. I really did a lot of that from the age of like thirteen to sixteen seventeen. I would say, which was which was so good? And I'm so glad you did it. And my sister never I was used to try and make her be in a family band with me, and she didn't want to do it. And now I say, Ellen, look look what we could have been. Look who could have been sat here together together?
Speaker 3: And you often are in a podcast studio together now because you do one together exactly.
Speaker 2: So I've managed to bring her into the fold in a different in a different way. But yeah, we have a podcast together called twin Hood's been going. Uh maybe we've been doing it for over a year, but it's been public for about eight months. Yes, And the podcast studio is actually our house because we live together in London also with our boyfriends. There's all four of us in one flat and we do community of the living room and make it a podcast studio once or twice a week, and the boyfriends are sent upstairs really.
Speaker 3: Long, and I know you normally have a glass of wine, which I would have loved to have done for us, but it is early in the morning.
Speaker 2: No, so fair, and we don't. The glass of wine is sort of a special occasions. We had a lot to celebrate last episode we did, so the glass of wine came out.
Speaker 1: But it really is it's very much a family.
Speaker 2: Affair, quite literally, our producer Paul Kersey, who runs it with us, and it really is just the four of us.
Speaker 1: But it's so much fun.
Speaker 2: And I'm honestly seeing when I watch it back, because you just it's just feavursed dream and you forget everything you've said. And I watch it back and I giggle all the time. I'm constantly cracking up at my twin hundred jet.
Speaker 3: When did you sort of discover your talent for songwriting and for music?
Speaker 1: I guess maybe sort of twelve.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I discovered a talent, as I just really fell in love with it and so just did it constantly. From probably the age of about twelve. I was always writing as a kid. I was writing short stories and novels, and I was always almost entering the Guardian Short Story competition for children, and I never would actually enter it because it was I would start and write like a paragraph or two, and then I would get distracted.
Speaker 1: And then I.
Speaker 2: Discovered songs, which are very short stories with lots of repetition, and you're able to finish them in half an hour, an hour or two hours, and I think that medium.
Speaker 1: Sort of spoke to me more. And I was a huge lover of music.
Speaker 2: I mean, when I was a tween tween, I was really into Green Day at all time low my chemical romance.
Speaker 1: But then I also grew up on.
Speaker 2: Taylor Swift and Kelly Clarkson and Sarah Barryeliz and Ingrid Michaelson, and so I think I was always really into super lyrical stuff. And then when I started I borrowed my friend's guitar when I was twelve and started learning a few bits and started writing songs. And from there I really just I'm pretty sure I wrote a song every day for like three years. I would get home from school and open my laptop like I was at work and sit at my desk with my guitar and just write so many songs about things that were absolutely not happening to me. I was writing about my husband who had done me wrong, and I was throwing him in a creek. And I actually wrote that song. I didn't even play guitar at that point. I wrote it to the Cup Song, which for women of a certain time, I see some nodding.
Speaker 1: In the audience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for women at a certain time, that was really important to us. And so I did write my first first song to the Cup Song, to the beat of the Cup Song, about throwing my husband in a river. And I was twelve, And that's what you call ahead of your time. That's yeah, yeah, yeah, and hopefully not a prophecy. No, hopefully not a profit see, but you know, maybe that's the way were yeah, metaphorically, And I have written songs since then about throwing men in bodies of water. Actually a German interview have brought that up to me the other week, and it was really something to ponder because I have done that since, So maybe there's there's something to that.
Speaker 4: How did ed finding you come about?
Speaker 2: So we worked with a couple of the same people. So at this point I was released. I've released a song or two and I was in the studio with so many different people in London. I was maybe seventeen eighteen nineteen and just doing songwriting sessions every day. I was writing, like I think I used to write down every song I'd written that year and twenty nineteen twenty twenty, twenty eighteen, I was probably writing seventy eighty songs every year in the in the studio with other writers, just really learning and creating and and experimenting. And in that time I was working with a few people that I was working with, and I think he heard about me and heard about my stuff through them. I also had just signed to Atlantic Records, which is also where he was signed, and so yeah, I think we were we were sort of crossing paths musically, and he had heard some of the stuff I'd done and reached out just wanting to work. And so I went up to his house and studio in twenty twenty, very early, just before COVID, and we wrote some songs together that ended up on my debut album, which was so cool, and yeah, just really got on and from there I signed to his label and we have worked together ever since. This my third album, launching to bread Man.
Speaker 3: And he is famously not online, has no phone. You are very very Internet literate. Do you feel like you're sometimes kind of explaining TikTok to a boomer?
Speaker 1: I did have a few years ago.
Speaker 2: I did make him do a be real with me, and that that was a lot for him. I think that's maybe even why he's not been on social media since it was it was too much once.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've got him off.
Speaker 2: No, But you know the thing about it is that he is an iPad baby, which is obviously public.
Speaker 1: I'm not sharing that, but his.
Speaker 2: Fingers on the pulse. Like sometimes he's telling me things. I'm like, Ken, how do you know that?
Speaker 1: Like he has fingers on the pulse, especially musically. He loves music.
Speaker 2: He's always finding new artists and new music, and he's really really passionate about it. So he's sometimes he's sending his stuff I've not heard of, and yeah, that's just one of his many, many genius qualities. But yeah, I guess sometimes I am explaining a TikTok to him, but sometimes he's explaining a TikTok to me. And that's what we love about a multi generational relationship, which he would hate if I.
Speaker 3: Said now with working with Ed and writing with it. I mean, he is your boss, and when you are writing a song, you have to really get in the weeds of your feelings and your experiences. You don't normally in a workplace scenario, have to share that much about yourself, but you would with Is that strange or is that just now part of the course.
Speaker 1: I think so much of.
Speaker 2: My music and how I make music is with other people and whoever they are. If they're at or if they're another one of my favorite collaborators, then you often have a most of the time you have a relationship that is built upon that, and so there is a real trust. And also it sounds funny, but if you're another songwriter and we're writing a song together, there's this inherent understanding that we both know that sharing is part of the job.
Speaker 1: So it's different.
Speaker 2: If anything, sometimes it's easier to share with those people than with friends or family because it's sort of an understanding that there's a purpose for what you're saying and you're making something together, and so yeah, I think in a funny way, that's often why it's easier to be honest or easier to share things with people you've just met strangers. You might meet a stranger and you've never worked and you've never seen each other's faces, and within two hours you're like so when I was twelve, And I actually think that's kind of a great part of it.
Speaker 3: And that's kind of because you just feel like it's stripped away from the start. You just leave that at the door and go in and you.
Speaker 2: Just, yeah, you know what you're doing after the process, and it's part of what and we're all there to make something that feels honest or interesting or fun or unique, and yeah, that's and that's that's what we're there to do, and that's what we all love doing. So it depends, and some rooms feel easier to do that than other rooms, for sure.
Speaker 1: And I have so many wonderful co.
Speaker 2: Writers and collaborators and producers that I love to work with because I feel like they really leave me the space and the time in the room to say something honest or difficult or interesting, and those are the best people to work with.
Speaker 3: You are very honest in your songwriting. Does that come easy for you to share when it comes to actually sharing it publicly or do you have this moment before releasing a song or an album where you think I have I said too much.
Speaker 2: I think a crucial thing because people ask me this question, and I feel like a crucial thing that people need to know is that if you ask me to release the song at the time I wrote it, I probably would feel nervous and unsure and embarrassed and maybe like, oh, I don't know if I want to say this. But often by the time you're releasing a song, for me, at least it's at least I mean, it's probably at least six months old, probably older than that. There's songs on Fluorescence that aren't out yet that are going to be almost three years old by the time they come out, because the process is so long, and writing an album at least again, for me, I'm normally taking at least a year or so. And then sometimes there are songs from even before that which you really feel like have a place on the record. So by the time, in a really lovely way for me, by the time the album and the music coming out, I've really come to peace.
Speaker 1: With come to terms with whatever the song is about.
Speaker 2: Often and it feels like a part of my past, and the song then feels, if anything, quite separate from from whatever, from the reality that it's about it, then it's about my experience writing that song and working on that song. And then by the time the song comes out, oh my god, I mean then to me the song is number one really just other people's for them to enjoy and build their own memories on.
Speaker 1: But also for me.
Speaker 2: Then the song really becomes about playing it live and the fans and the shows and the moments. And it's by by that point I find that you know, sharing it is the is the easiest it's going to be because you're just looking forward to all of that and whatever it was about to me personally is sort of a part of the past.
Speaker 3: Because I read that you said you loved what Lucy Daker said in Night Shift about wanting a song in five years that she's written to feel like a cover.
Speaker 1: When, oh my god, that I did say that. Where did you find that?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I've been I've spent my week in the world of Mazie Peters, So I love you know something that you haven't that you've said that I haven't reattena.
Speaker 2: So it's good when I say only really intelligent and important things and not although.
Speaker 4: Do you feel like that now when you sing someone.
Speaker 3: And I know The Good Witch is not five years old yet, but do you feel like you are singing almost covers off at least no longer.
Speaker 1: Go one hundred percent?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I do love that early stak As line one hundred percent. So much of the Good Witch I feel like that about. I mean, and it's funny because some songs will become relevant again. I've definitely had that as well, but lots of song, I mean lost the breakup as a song from Goodwitch, and that song.
Speaker 1: To me is my favorite cover ever.
Speaker 2: It's I love singing that song nowadays because similar to what I was saying when I sing it, it really just makes me think of all the shows we played and all the fans I saw on the front row screaming it and.
Speaker 1: Doing Fallon for the first time.
Speaker 2: And I mean, we actually remember we were practicing that song in Australia in sound checks but without the pa on so one could hear it because we had to go straight from Australia and Asia to New York to play it on Jimmy Fallon and we'd never played it live before. So I also really remember practicing it and sound checks of shows I think we practice it in the Perth shows soundcheck without the paon and on all of those all of those memories become what lost the records about me, And that's why I love that song so much.
Speaker 3: Oh there's a lyric actually from The Good Witch that I love and I'm going to read out to you now because I want to explore it with you, which is, to me, it feels like the thesis of the Good Witch. But I love you can you can correct me on that, but it is about that that line when you say nobody actually happy and healthy has ever felt so desperate to prove it.
Speaker 1: Love Love, That's what I thought you were going to choose. So I love that.
Speaker 3: I love that line because I feel like that album is about knowing you weren't over it, but trying to convince yourself that it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, I think in a really amazing way. I love that album because it's so it's it's a very dramatic and in lots of places quite angry album. I kind of I maybe not angry is the best word, but it's I described the album as being really frustrated and unwilling to accept the circumstances that you find yourself in.
Speaker 1: I think that The Good Witch to me was.
Speaker 2: Really about me disagreeing with what had happened to me and in that breakup and being like, this isn't this isn't what I want, This isn't the life that I want.
Speaker 1: This isn't the choice I wanted.
Speaker 2: And I'm upset about that, and I'm angry about that and I don't accept it.
Speaker 1: And that really is what all of that music.
Speaker 2: I think, among other things, is the place that musically stems from. And a reason that that feels cool now is that with my new record, Fluorescence, it really feels sort of like the opposite of that. It's actually an album a lot which is really centers around forgiveness and really accepting who you are and where you are. And I think the piece and the joy and yeah that that brings you and looking back and accepting memories for what they were and relationships for what they were. And I'm still twenty five, so I'm not to say that I am the leader on forgiveness and acceptance.
Speaker 1: Because I'm not.
Speaker 2: But I think that in relation to The Good Witch, that is why Fluorescence is able to have that feeling and stance because it came from such a different place, if that makes sense.
Speaker 3: I see, something I always say about myself is when that sometimes I have enough self awareness to know that what I'm doing, like about what I'm doing right, but not enough to not do it. And I wondered if that resonated with you in terms of the Good Witch and the way that you wrote about not being able to get over or accept this moment, like you knew that you needed to, you had that self awareness to do that, but not enough to not do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, definitely. I mean one hundred percent the lots of the music on that album.
Speaker 2: And I say this with love because I love the Good Wation and I love the music on the album, So I say this with love, but it's a little bit ridiculous, Like it is dramatic and insane and ridiculous. And I mean was about the situation that was so uh, what's the word I'm looking for here? About a situation that was in no way momentous enough to be the inspiration of a fifteen track album, like and I was self aware about that at the time as well. I knew that I know it now, but one hundred percent, And also as a songwriter. I think that's the joy of songwriting. That's actually what's so amazing about it is you're able to it's literally like magic.
Speaker 1: You're able to turn memories and moments in months.
Speaker 2: And weeks and years into this like beautiful, interesting, sweet, funny, lyrical body of work that so many people respond to and inspires them and make them dance and sing and laugh and cry.
Speaker 1: And that's that's definitely the point.
Speaker 2: It's it's in a funny way, it's sort of the inspiration is this is the smallest part of the record.
Speaker 1: And of the song. There's so much else in it that comes from me.
Speaker 2: And actually, sorry I'm rambling, but you've reminded me of something somebody asked me the other day. Do you ever send people the songs you write about them? Or are you ever worried about what they're going to say back to you? And I kind of was like, you know what, I don't really write the songs for them. Even though a lot lots of my songs are about other people, a lot of the time, they're really about my experience and my feelings and.
Speaker 1: My interpretation or internalization of the event.
Speaker 2: I don't really write it for if I ever do write a song to send to somebody else. I probably have sent that song because I wrote it to do that, but that's quite rare. I'm way more often writing about my own life, my own experience, and my own feelings, and so I don't really feel the need to share it or to hear a response back. It's not really for that. It's it's very much for me, and it's my art that I'm proud on, and it's my music and my words and my melodies and my instrumentation, and it's not it's not really about somebody else.
Speaker 1: It's for me.
Speaker 4: Have you ever heard from someone that you've written about? Have they responded when you haven't necessarily sent it out?
Speaker 1: Do you know what somebody else asked me this the other day? I don't think I have. I guess maybe the songs aren't really inviting feedback.
Speaker 4: They're a full stop from you. Yeah, it's kind of a.
Speaker 1: Full stop from me.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I've never had anyone specifically reach out about a specific piece of music.
Speaker 4: Do you think that they know that it's about them?
Speaker 3: I feel like, for example, and this is going right back, that Kate's brother might have had an when you named the song.
Speaker 1: Actually, it's a good point I have.
Speaker 2: I have heard back from Kate's brother in that time. That's a good one, no, I mean, yeah, Kate's brother obviously is a real man. Shout out Kate's brother. And yeah, we obviously did converse. I mean, he's obviously a friend of mine. Yeah, and Kate's my best friend. So yeah, I have spoken to Kate's brother. That was quite clear that it was about him. Yeah, no, he named it. That's her real name, her real brother, and that he all the all the things in that song, like all the things I say about him are just him, I will say, Like the song was a joke song.
Speaker 1: It was we I.
Speaker 2: Had a joke with Kate that if I ever met her brother, I would fall in love with him, which is so funny now because I have since met her brother and we're.
Speaker 1: Not in love.
Speaker 2: It's definitely a plastronic pro ship. But it was like an inside joke. You have good friends and so, and after that joke had happened, after the Hallowe party where we had this big joke about it, I went to Sweden and I wrote the song really as a joke with my with my girl group chat and I was texting the chat like, Kate, tell me more things about your brother, like what does he like? Because I'm putting it in this funny song. And then lo and behold. I released the song and led a whole online campaign about how I was.
Speaker 1: In love with Kate's brother.
Speaker 2: But no, that was in fact lying for sport and it was a beautiful time.
Speaker 1: But no, Kate's brother obviously is.
Speaker 3: Fam After this break, Mazy gets candid about her thoughts on mailpop artists. Now, I love what you said before about the good witch not warranting fifteen songs written about this situation.
Speaker 4: Because I remember when I met you when you were here touring with.
Speaker 3: ED and you played a little showcase at Bondai Pavilion with the label here right. We had a little chat afterwards, and I asked you about your back catalog and what you know was the like number one thing that inspired your songwriting, and you told me that it was a series of mid men.
Speaker 1: Oh beautiful. Yeah, it's gonna see how times changed of that from me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would love to hear you expand a little bit.
Speaker 2: Less.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's go through the weeds of no, because I do feel like some seriously brilliant songs written by women by female pop stars are inspired by the midst of men.
Speaker 2: They are inspired by men that would not reach out their pinky finger to hold your pinky finger if you are lying on a railroad track and a train was approaching like that is the sort of men that these songs are inspired by. And more power to them, because you know, we get all two well tenmened version, and that's really important exactly what I was again, yes, no, And I think if you want me to expand upon that in a more intelligent way than what I said three years ago, which God knows there's no need, but I would say that a lot of my music, and a lot of my favorite artists music I think is is made. Maybe the simplest way would be a sort of an unrequited an unrequited love and unrequited feeling that you feelings.
Speaker 1: That you have somebody that if they're maybe not the saying back.
Speaker 2: To you, and there's a there is a lot of there is a lot of magic in that, I think. And I talk about this as a song on Fluorescence called Flat Earther, which I'm not gonna spoil, but it's a lot of that song is about actually the magic in an unrequited love and how much.
Speaker 1: You learn about yourself. And I think you learn about your own.
Speaker 2: Capacity for love and frustration and anger and and just deep feeling. And I do think that you learn about that when you're in love, obviously, and you learn about that when you're heartbroken, but maybe you can learn about that the most when you're in that sort of space in between all three.
Speaker 4: I do have a theory as well, okay, that.
Speaker 3: A lot of songs written by men are about the most extraordinary women in comparison.
Speaker 1: Well, I have a feelings on men of the music that I'm not.
Speaker 4: It's we're not filtering, so.
Speaker 1: Funny, No, but yeah, I obviously one hundred percent agree.
Speaker 2: I think that women are incredible and amazing. That's really all I have to say. And it's so good to chat with you. Noh, yeah, I agree in a big way.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about the Eras tour. So how did that come about?
Speaker 1: Well, I've been a swifty for my whole entire life.
Speaker 3: Oh, I want to ask you, what was the album that made you a swifty?
Speaker 2: So hard to say, probably realistically the album I was.
Speaker 1: Hard?
Speaker 2: Do I say that I was about saying realistically the album was cognitively aware of would be maybe Speak Now. But then I think when you're so young, I mean I was. I think Debut tates Off. Debut came out in night two thousand and nine. I'm gonna say I think Felis was like twenty eleven. I'm really going for some guesses here. I know that nineteen eighty nine was twenty sixteen, but.
Speaker 4: I think fourteen.
Speaker 1: Do you think twenty fifty.
Speaker 2: I don't think I think eighty nine was like fifteen or sixteen because I was I'm the year. I was born in two thousand, so I'm a year of the millennium, and I think I was like fifteen sixteen.
Speaker 1: When it came out.
Speaker 2: But I will say so I was probably too young at that the early albums, but I remember watching music videos, so like white Horse music video, I was definitely watching that.
Speaker 1: Obviously Loves Story music video. I was definitely watching that.
Speaker 2: And then I mean tear Drops of my Guitar as Song, all those songs I.
Speaker 1: Was watching the music videos of.
Speaker 2: So I mean maybe up into fifty since the beginning, but I would say probably Speak Now back to December was like a huge song for me.
Speaker 1: When I was at school.
Speaker 2: I remember going to my music practice rooms and playing back to December every lunchtime on my guitar, not even really learning it, just singing it, which is so sweet. And then I was I was locked in from then, really, but I was big time locked in for Red and nineteen eighty nine and all those things. I mean, it was so important to me when I was growing up. And then I, you know, fast forward ten years and I get a call for my manager and he says, what are you doing on August the nineteenth?
Speaker 1: What was I think?
Speaker 2: And I just think he's gonna say something really annoying that I have to do, so I'm like nothing, I don't know.
Speaker 1: And I was also in a shop called new Look. I don't know if you have these in Australia.
Speaker 4: Oh I don't.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, So I was in a new Look in the UK with my sister and London in Brighton, where we're sort of hometown and actually fun treat for no filters.
Speaker 1: Feels correct?
Speaker 2: Is that in that moment I was quite mad because I just found out that my sister had gone up several copsizes and had way bigger boobs than me, and that had never been true in our life, and I was like, how has this happened to me? What? Like? This was?
Speaker 1: How's this happened to me?
Speaker 2: So I was sort of in a grumpy mood outside the changing rooms of New Lark, waiting for her to try things on, and then my magic calls me when she's feeling out every yeah, and I was like, what the hell sort of to see my own feelings on that, and then my magicals and do you want to support to it was the years tall and I was obviously gagged and said yes please, And then I ran into the changing room and I said, Ellen, you will literally not believe what.
Speaker 1: Just happened you because that you know, everyone had to win that day and that's important.
Speaker 4: Tell me about the experience.
Speaker 2: It was amazing. I mean, it was a real dream come true. I've wanted to support half of my whole life. And obviously the Air's tour was such a feat of touring and stage whenship.
Speaker 4: Had you been to see it before you not?
Speaker 2: No, I'd actually never seen her life before that either, so that was pretty epic for me getting to see her life for the first time.
Speaker 1: And I'm on the on the show, but she was.
Speaker 2: The show is obviously unbelievable, and as a swifty as well, was just, I mean, the dream show for a fan, and I loved the whole thing. And I actually had purposefully not. I tried to stay away from too many spoilers online. I mean, obviously I've seen a couple.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I obviously knew a couple. I knew to dive into the stage, but I didn't know the set list. I didn't know the running order. So that was so special and so cool.
Speaker 3: Well I think the setlist had changed when anyway, when you saw it, Yeah, yeah, definitely, but I mean, yeah, it's so cool.
Speaker 2: And my parents were there, my friends were there all. I mean, my sister was actually in the pit because randomly she'd got tickets for that night, even though she hadn't known that I was the support that day.
Speaker 1: Isn't that crazy that's randomly tickets to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she was there. Oh, everyone in my life was there. The show was amazing. It was like the greatest drugs ever. I actually, yeah, I've not done that many drugs, but I've done no drug better than the errors to all, and I can say.
Speaker 1: That, and I can say that to camera as well, yeah, I agree.
Speaker 4: I can say that to camera too.
Speaker 1: We can clip that clip that yeah clip that I heard.
Speaker 4: You bought her some books? I did, What what do you buy Taylor Swift? Well?
Speaker 1: I went.
Speaker 2: I actually sent my her suite manager to Bricklyne Bookshop on the way and I was like, you need to get her some books as a person, and you have to go to this bookshop. Andy, So we bought her. I took it back from that purple one. And and what books did I buy out? You know, I need to go back and find the actual list, but from memory it was I think it was. It was a Wendy Cope poetry book is a British poet who I love. I think it was a Margaret Atwood short story's anthology called Lubird's Egg, I think. And then I probably bought her a Secretstory Better on a tart. And I also maybe bought her The Idiot by Elip Pitumann. I think I would have to check that for sure, but those definitely the first two and maybe the other two as well.
Speaker 3: There was the huge Eras moment for you where the clip went viral suggesting that you couldn't sing What did that feel like?
Speaker 4: In real time.
Speaker 2: So it's sort of a complex thing because there was a few different factors. I think, not publicly, not at the time, because didn't I didn't speak about it publicly really until now they're.
Speaker 1: Going into this album.
Speaker 2: Was that six months prior to that, I'd actually had real issues with my vocal courts. I had UH vocal pollups, which are like a medical condition on issue.
Speaker 3: And I had common with singers as well, Yeah fairly common.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fairly common with singers, but not good and dangerous. And there was a time when I was going to have to have surgery and be completely silent for like a month or two. And it was very scary at the time and was a real thing in my life.
Speaker 1: And that was six months before the Year's tour, and after.
Speaker 2: I'd just come off of the Wembley show for Good Witch, and so I had all of these issues and I had to work really hard to get my singing voice back and do a lot of vocal therapy and be very quiet. I sort of I didn't sing for months, I barely spoke, and that was all behind the scenes, but it meant that when I got back to touring the next year and I was doing nuh and colplay and the Year's tour. It was definitely on my mind, and so I think when that happened and I had such an influx of hate that was definitely a component of that that I obviously people didn't know about.
Speaker 1: That made it much harder me. And it was a funny thing.
Speaker 2: It was obviously the best day of my life, the Arestorp, and so to also experience such huge amounts of hate, which.
Speaker 1: Is what it was.
Speaker 2: It was. There was varying levels, but there was a lot of just sort of blatant hate, and it was a crazy thing to experience. I mean, it was for a human being to experience that much attention, that much high and then that much low and that much critique and thought it was it was so crazy. I mean, it's like such a relatively unique experience. And yeah, I actually so I woke up the next day and I had to go to Birmingham to the snow Can show, and I woke up feeling literally hungover, even though I had not a drop of alcohol. And I posted that video day before. The ironic thing is I posted it because I thought it was good. Obviously I was proud of it. So I was like it's not like it went viral someone else.
Speaker 3: Posted to get And it was also that moment in the song where you're you know, declaring it's you know, I'm on the eras too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so ironic.
Speaker 2: It was. Yeah, it was a real moment of pride for me. But the clip had gone super viral in a way I didn't expect. And I went to Birmingham and yeah, I think it was just it was there was so much adrenaline and so much high and so much low. And I ended up doing the sound check for that show, for that Noah show that night, and I'd had all these issues my voice, so I had a lot of anxiety around losing my voice and doing shows where I'd lost my voice because I'd done so many shows with these poly ups I hadn't known about and it was very difficult. And so yeah, I ended up doing the sound check for that Noah show and all day I've been like, oh, I'm fine, I'm fine. And then I did the show and I just burst into tears and the soundcheck and but then got it together, did the show.
Speaker 1: The show was great. Life went on, and that's what's very important to say.
Speaker 2: Obviously, life doves go on and it feels like this massive thing and in reality, I mean, two thousand worst things are happening every single day than what.
Speaker 1: Happened to me. But I did then write about it.
Speaker 2: There's a song call Mary Janes that opens the album, and there's a lyric in Mary Janes about crying and crying in Birmingham, I say, in Birmingham Jesus Christ, which feels relevant.
Speaker 4: You responded at the time with the Taylor Swift lyric.
Speaker 1: I think I posted me and all my Instagram stour. But honestly I stand by that that was a good response.
Speaker 4: So did I do it again a flawless respond?
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I actually think I might have given you a round of applause when I saw your response. The Internet does have a way of taking a moment and really flattening it like that and not giving it any context. Which is it cathartic now to be able to give that context?
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean it was obviously a few years ago now, but I am pleased now with how I responded to it back then and reacted to it. I'm proud of myself, and I think even then I knew that it was often very little point in reacting or engaging with that. And also I was able to tther enough to be like, I just had the best day of my life.
Speaker 1: I was on the Airs tour like you are sending me a hate comment on TikTok.
Speaker 2: It's very incomparable experiences, and I was luckily, I was really able to hold onto no matter what people said. I was, well, you can't take away that I had the best day ever yesterday.
Speaker 1: And I lived my dream, literally.
Speaker 4: Lived my dream, and you know it. I remember when it happened to Alanna del Rey on SNL.
Speaker 2: It was and has all adventurous women do.
Speaker 1: On the internet. I love to be in my land at that very moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 3: Don't go anywhere. After this short break, I asked Mazie about her mystery boyfriend. Now, let's talk about fluorescence. I loved to so if the Good Witch felt like kind of survival and coming through something, what is fluorescence about?
Speaker 2: Well, fluorescence is means to blossom, to bloom, develop richly and fully.
Speaker 1: Obviously, I know that, and that's very much what the album is about. Really.
Speaker 2: I think it is about a journey into love, into happiness, into peace, and those are things that are quite hard to write about, I think, and as a result, it's rarer to get albums and music written about being happy or being content, and so that was very much something that I was not grappling with, but with the whole process of making Fluorescence, it was maybe it's probably it was a harder album maybe to finish and to write than Goodwich, because it's so easy to write songs that are really dramatic and an upset and so full of emotion that it's so close to the surface, and I think happiness is a much more complicated and quiet thing to write about them, It's quite hard to write songs about like little quiet moments. But that was very much my intensive with Fluorescence, and it was the life I've happened living and was living at the time in the making of and so I knew I really wanted the album to represent that, and it was sort of a challenge to myself to make an album that felt lighter and especially seeing as The Good Witch was so far from that, and I knew that my fan base loved that, and so it was sort of a cool challenge to make an album that felt very different to that and very true to who I am and how I was living.
Speaker 3: Do you feel like it's the first time you've written from a place of stability rather than chaos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, definitely, because my first album, I was nineteen, enough.
Speaker 1: Said, and good Witch was written during a year.
Speaker 2: I was on tour, I mean more than I was not, and I was stealing away moments and I was sort of going through these heartbreaks, and yeah, it was a very chaotic time, which is why the music is chaotic in an amazing way. And Fluorescence was made really predominantly, I mean, it was started whilst I was on tour with that year.
Speaker 1: When I was on the Noah tour and Connan and Colplay and Taylor. It was kind of made in those gaps.
Speaker 2: But I was in a really happy, stable relationship and then I was really predominantly in London after that when I recorded them properly finished the album, and yeah, living a very much more stable, peaceful little life than good Witch.
Speaker 3: Has it been interesting for you writing about being in love when it was something that you were chasing in the past and we were dealing with more the flip side of it, the breakups.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: I was definitely interesting and I've sort of said throughout making the process, I knew I needed to have love songs on the album, but they're so hard to write. And I'm really proud of the ones on the album. They actually all feel maybe about four or five of them, and they all feel really important to the story of the album, but all feel really like one of one, like they're very specific to me and my relationship, and they all feel, yeah, like unique little stories and moments, and I'm really proud of all of them, and they're all quite different. They're not I think in writing this, people expect a love song to feel quite classic and quite earnest and broad and maybe because some of our the world's favorite love songs, and I love those two and I've definitely got some.
Speaker 1: Of those as well.
Speaker 2: But I actually think a lot of the love songs on this album, I mean, Vampire Time, my regards Mary Jane's are quite sort of wonky and unique and specific and.
Speaker 1: Personal to me. So I really love that.
Speaker 2: And actually there's a couple of love songs that didn't make Fluorescence the first version of the album that I really love and would love to make the deluxe for what that comes about. There's more that didn't unfortunately make the whole whole record because you.
Speaker 1: Can only do so many songs. But yeah, they're definitely harder to write.
Speaker 2: But I will say I found it interesting when I was writing love songs for Fluorescence, a lot of them felt very lighthearted, which was cool. I think again a preconception is a love song has to feel very earnest and heavy and deep. And actually the songs that I've really found myself gravitating towards were writing songs like my Regards that were really fun and sort of sexy and silly, yeah, and right and not super serious, which was so fun to do after making sort of and in a way that's again maybe a part of my music that will always retain remain and similar to good Witch, which is also not super serious that good Witch in a more sort of dramatic, insane way, And I think with Fluorescence, the fun is yeah, more lighthearted and sort of silly and sexy and yeah, sort of I describe it.
Speaker 1: It's like a sort of it's a ry smile, It's like an iraw raised.
Speaker 3: Was it interesting being able to share it in real time with the person who inspired mister.
Speaker 1: Mister emo emotion man y. Yeah, it was so sweet.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know you're saying, do you are you sending people's songs? You write about them?
Speaker 1: And I what was I doing? Would I send them to him?
Speaker 2: No, I probably wasn't sending him songs, but I would play them to him when I got the demos back and we'd be driving and he would Yeah. Obviously he's my number one fan, so he loved them. And yeah, that was a really sweet, lovely thing to do and cool to immortalize your relationship and the moments of your relationship and and get to have.
Speaker 1: Them as a little sing along forever. That's so cool.
Speaker 3: And for listeners who are not familiar with why we are referring to your partner as mister Peters or emoji men, could you please explain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I really believe in the thesis of what is it private not secret? That's really my uh, the way I choose live my life. So that is how we my very sweet, respectful fans. And I refer to boyfriend on the internet because he is a private person.
Speaker 1: And I'm very very much of.
Speaker 2: The opinion that you know, I write music about us in our relationship, and I share that so willingly and I'm happy to talk about that.
Speaker 1: But I have.
Speaker 2: Pretty defined boundaries. I guess on my relationship and how much that I want to share and how much of our life that we want to share. And so yeah, as a very sweet compromise the fans, I basically never post a picture of him. I put an emojio over his face like famous people do with their babies.
Speaker 1: And it kind of stuffed that.
Speaker 2: I don't know why it started, and now it's become kind of a funny thing that I do. And there's, if anything, it's way better than me posting his actual face, Like it's way funnier. And so yeah, they called him emoji man for a bit.
Speaker 3: And have they been really respectful of it or is there like a people digging to find out who he is.
Speaker 1: For the most part really respectful. I think that's quite unusual.
Speaker 4: I find.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have, I really do have such an amazing, amazing fan base.
Speaker 2: They are so respectful, they are so understanding, they are so sweet as we supportive, they're so funny, Like, I really do have a really exceptional group of people that is.
Speaker 1: In my music.
Speaker 3: Do you feel like they are respecting this boundary because you are very giving with.
Speaker 4: What you do share with them.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's a yeah, that's a lovely idea, that would be so great if that was the reason I think that. I mean a lot of my familyse we've all grown up together, and I think and there's obviously new people joining all the time, which I love. But yeah, I like to think also maybe the music, and I like to think that the music and the way that I present online is you.
Speaker 1: Know, respectful and intelligent and.
Speaker 2: With enough nuance that I like to think that that's all the sort of people that I attract, and that then listening to music and buying into the project and so yeah, as a result, I do just have this amazing group of people that are really respectful and I mean I'll take you know, we'll be out and about in London and people will ask for a picture and people are so sweet to us both and really like sweet to him, and yeah, it's really lovely.
Speaker 4: That's really nice.
Speaker 3: So you don't you do feel like you can go out and about and be in a restaurant together and not feel like someone's going to oh, yeah, snap and say this is him, this is one man unveiled.
Speaker 1: I just we're just not that famous. Which is you false are Yeah, we're out about all the time.
Speaker 4: So this is a new era for you.
Speaker 3: This is this is you writing from a place of being in love and experiencing that, and you have now today we will say not today physically because we're here recording in advance, but today, when this episode comes out, this body of work will be out in the world.
Speaker 4: What do you want listeners to take from it?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think the way I normally answer this question is it's really not for me to say what they take from it, And I would hope it's a lot, because there's fifteen songs. They're so varied and their inspiration and their genre and their feeling and their their tone. But kind of what I always say and what I feel most deeply is that I would love this album to mean to people what my favorite album means. So when Lord released Virgin, I loved that album.
Speaker 1: And I've been a fan of her for.
Speaker 2: You know, ten years, however long it's been, and you know, with the with Virgin, I felt like I was fifteen again and maybe even maybe my favorite law about Lord album and I listened to it all year. I listened to it in the summer I listened to on the automatic It's not on the train in the car. I played it when I was making dinner. I played it when I was walking to the overground, and it became such a huge part of my life, and I talked about it with my friends. I spoke about the lyrics and the production and what I thought it meant and how much I loved the title, and it just was a piece of music and art that stuck with me so so much. It's sort of I felt it so deeply, and I love it, and I would love it. Would just be my dream if that could be what fluorescence is to somebody else, that's like the ultimate dream.
Speaker 1: And you know that's a maybe, that's.
Speaker 2: A high high ass, it's a big ask, but that's I would love this. That's the one thing I say. And then the other thing I say is when I was a teenager and my first friend got her driver's license and she would drive us around, drive us.
Speaker 1: To school, drive us to the beach, whatever it was.
Speaker 2: We had certain albums that we would play in the car, you know, seventeen eighteen. And that's another thing which I'm like, if I can be the album that the girls put on on their way to school, on their way to whereverever it is, on the way to the hang which I think. I like to think the good which was, and I would like to think even more that fluorescence could be.
Speaker 3: When you and I think this is also interesting when you're playing old songs live, but you are in a long, happy relationship now with mister Peters. So when you're writing and you're looking back in the past and delving into that, how does that intersect your current relationship and that space And when you play, say, old songs live about past relationships, is that a thing or not a thing?
Speaker 2: I am lucky And also I was about to say I'm lucky, but also I just am with a good partner who is mature and understanding and respectful and knows that this is my work, this is what I do, this is my passion, and I've worked really hard to do it, and he would never want to stand in the way of that. I mean, he's really proud of me, and he loves my music. And you know, we joke. We'll joke about songs I write about the past and he'll say they're really they really flop that one, like they really could have been getting there my regards, but instead they're getting.
Speaker 1: Their uuu and that sucks for those boys.
Speaker 2: But no, I mean, and that's I mean as it should be. And I would encourage all women to be with somebody that supports them. And I wouldn't really stand for anything but that. I think that it's part of the job, as part of what I do. But if you're mature and.
Speaker 1: Thought, don't show if you are.
Speaker 2: If you're a mature person, then you can very much understand that songwriting and writing about the past and then living and being in the present a very different things. And I like to think that we have a really great understanding and.
Speaker 1: We have a really great understanding of that.
Speaker 4: Ultimately, Mazie Peters has moved on from Midmen.
Speaker 1: That's the headline. That's the mother freaking headline.
Speaker 3: Now, before I let you go, I'm going to ask you, because I know that you used to go busking, your dad would take you.
Speaker 4: I love I love the story how he'd stand like away from you, which is so like teenage girl being like dad like be there, Yeah, I need your support, but don't.
Speaker 1: But but don't crack my side. Yeah, so funny.
Speaker 4: So looking back at that girl, what would you tell her now.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I don't even know. She would be so mind blown. I think, to know everything that I've done, she would be mind blown.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've got these shows. I mean, by when this comes.
Speaker 2: Out, I will have played these shows in Australia at the Forum and at the m More and I just it's so crazy that I'm just coming to Australia all this way around the world. And I mean those shows, but those shows sold really quickly and we had to put second nights on for both of them. And I mean, and I mean I've actually played even bigger shows here for Good Witch, and but that was amazing. But it was sort of even more amazing. She's taken this time off. I've not been hit. This is my first time back in two and a half years and two yeah, to have been away for all this time and been working on this album, and you know, everyone has that little feeling of a people going to care are people going to still be interested in this new album? People just you know, do they just like the Good Witch and that's just that? And are they interested in what I have to offer? And are they going to want to come to the show and to have that happen and be back here and be playing these shows this weekend, and yeah, I just I think back then, I just would not have believed that that that would happen. I don't know without that's maybe a boring answer, but I just would have not believed it. And I have so many goals and ambitions and dreams for the rest of my career. But also to be at this level and be playing those types of rooms and have the types of fans that want to come back and the album's not even out and they still want to come is so amazing and such a feat And I'm really proud of myself on.
Speaker 3: That well maze. You have proclaimed Australia as your hometown. That's hilarious because it is such a massive country. Yes, and all of it is my hometown. The whole thing is every single well Yeah, So that means you do have to keep coming back.
Speaker 1: And the thing about me is Rvey back, about me as Alvey Back. I'm here for two.
Speaker 2: Weeks, which is not long enough, but I yeah, I'm really hopeful. I've never been to the arias me just.
Speaker 1: Putting this into the asist so funny. I'm just on the fucker like yeah, okay, anyone wants to.
Speaker 2: Invite you to the Arias as I mean, as I guess I'd love to sing God God Forbid a nomination, but I'm really not asking for that universe, like I mean I am, but like I would actually just love to go.
Speaker 1: I just love to be part of the vibe.
Speaker 2: My like one of my best friends school gratuation's an artist here and she's like my sister.
Speaker 1: She's the best, the best of the best.
Speaker 2: And also, this is so funny what I have to do, but she's gonna have a new album coming out this year maybe or early next, I don't know. Don't come from me, Gretoraray fans, but it is so so incredible and it's her best work. She's the most incredible artist and like the best of Australia. And I'm manifesting like Gretoray Aria norm like Maje Peter's is her date for the Arias, Like that's sort of what I'm manifesting.
Speaker 1: So just putting that into the universe. And it's so funny that she has no idea.
Speaker 2: And it's going to come out in like four months, and you know, it's good to put that intoview to us, but I would, Yeah, that's my that's my dream.
Speaker 3: Well I hope that that comes true because I would love to party with you and Greta at the after party.
Speaker 2: You would, I mean all of the girls. Like, let imagine the power of the two of us. I mean, it's it's hardly worth thinking about. Also, I mean there's actually a lot of Autralian dreams I have also, Like Triple J Hot one hundred. I would love to be an entry on that, Like I think I have been over one hundred and fifty maybe or a hundred.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure not another rockstar made it.
Speaker 2: But if a song from Fluorescence can make the Triple J Hot one hundred, that would also mean a lot to me.
Speaker 3: Oh well, thank you for coming on No Filter, Mazie and coming into your office.
Speaker 4: It's, as I said, such a trait to have you here.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much amongst friends, amazing. Thank you so.
Speaker 3: Much to Maizie Peters for joining us here on No Filter and honestly, after spending time with her again for this conversation, I think what strikes me most is just tell self a where she is.
Speaker 4: There's something really special about and I.
Speaker 3: Who can look back at the chaos and heartbreak that inspired albums like The Good Witch, and then arrive at a body.
Speaker 1: Of work like Fluorescence.
Speaker 3: It feels softer and more grounded and genuinely hopeful, without losing any of that sharpness that made people fall in love with her music in the first place. Fluorescence is out now wherever you get your music, And if you enjoyed this episode, please make sure you follow no Filter in your podcast app so you never miss an interview. Imbrie Player filling in for Kate Langbrook, who will be back on Monday with another extraordinary story.