Speaker 1: You're listening to I'm im a mea podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to Unleashed podcast for gen X women who need a laugh.
Speaker 3: If you know Sheira is the princess of power?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 2: Have you every word to greet me? And had more fluo in your wardrobe than a road crew?
Speaker 3: Yes, you're in the right place.
Speaker 2: Yes, now, who is on the sofa this week?
Speaker 1: I'm Sally Hipworth and I'm an author.
Speaker 4: I'm Mary Kustas, I'm an actress writer.
Speaker 5: I'm Bruna Pependrea and I'm a film and TV producer.
Speaker 2: And I'm Cas Mahoney I'm a comedian. Wherever you're listening, unclenching your clinch your pelvic floor and get ready to unleash.
Speaker 3: Ye Okay, who's starting us off this time?
Speaker 1: I am busting to get this off my chest?
Speaker 4: Oh please do.
Speaker 1: Last week there.
Speaker 6: Was a number of messages on my daughter's school WhatsApp school Chats school chat for year eight, and the first message said something along the lines of my daughter Vanessa using fake names, had.
Speaker 1: Her blazer stolen from her locker. And I looked at it and thought, okay, fine, let's.
Speaker 3: All move on.
Speaker 6: And then the next thing, someone emojied the message with.
Speaker 1: A shocked face.
Speaker 7: Oh drama, Sally.
Speaker 6: And then someone else wrote back and said, I hope you've taken it to the school.
Speaker 1: This stuff has to stop.
Speaker 4: Stop it.
Speaker 6: And I was looking at it live thinking and then someone said, well, the other day my Duty's pencil case was stolen.
Speaker 4: No, I've stolen her name. Yes, please go ahead.
Speaker 6: I'm reading these messages and this is a new school, so I don't have a lot of mums to start a snarky side. But all I want to scream is, you know, Duty's pencil case was not stolen.
Speaker 1: She lost it, you know.
Speaker 6: And Vanessa's blazer it's on the train, you know, it's in the lost property. I don't understand why these people think that their things were stolen, Like if it was if it was a vape, you know, or if it was an air pods, perhaps it was stolen. But is there an underworld pencil case transfer business that I don't know about? And it got me thinking. I actually ended up going back to my kids and saying, kids, if you lost your pencil case or your blazer, and you could have sworn that you left it in your locker, what would you think had happened, and all three of them are.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, we lost it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I thought, okay, interesting and probably because I've taught them that most things in general in life are our fault.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 4: But sw there's two types of people victims, yeah, or there are people that want to have someone to blame for everything. Yes, the blame of adults.
Speaker 6: Like I'm actually quite shocked that no one chimed in and said it's on the train. Doesn't matter if she It's like Judge Judy says, how do you know that your teenager is lying?
Speaker 3: Because their mouths removing.
Speaker 7: Judge Judy. It always comes back to Judge comes back.
Speaker 5: I don't know about you, guys, but I find with most shall we say, school chats, that the same people tend to weigh in. Yes, it's always the same. There are those that just watch.
Speaker 7: And here's my problem with school group chats.
Speaker 5: I miss the important stuff because I couldn't give a toss about most of what's going on in there, which is always like, does anyone have the homework that my kid forgot to get? I mean, it's so kind of mundane. And then I have genuinely missed some important things because of all the stuff around it.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mute or archive chats like that, and it's exactly like Bruna said, then you miss the.
Speaker 6: Actual use the points that you need, and we need that stuff, we.
Speaker 3: Do, but the other stuff you just think you need to have a side group on this alway.
Speaker 5: Yeah, every group chat, you need a side group. But my funniest school story when I couldn't stop interfering is my kids went to this preschool in Los Angeles and they've been with all their friends through all the years, and then at one point in the preschool, you're either a blueberry or a raspberry, and all their friends were blueberries. And I get literally, something had happened that I think I had food poisoning. I was in hospital. They might have given me some morphine. And I get the email.
Speaker 7: And it says they're raspberries.
Speaker 5: And I go into you'd think someone had like said you can't ever leave the country. I was so upset, so I write the email of all emails and then just let me put it in context. Here they have released the class list at this point published from public to the other parents. So I have my moment and then there's tears involved, and the beautiful woman running in school, she writes back, and suddenly the lists are reput out into the world, and my kids in our blueberries and the greatest line that any other parent has said to me, and this is for those people who know The Godfather. I just got this email from another father and he said, we knew it was Eufredo.
Speaker 4: Very famous line, very famous line in The Godfather.
Speaker 5: And so I was publicly outed. Of course, it was so obvious what I've done. But guess what, no regrets, no regrets no.
Speaker 4: So, Sally, you're the type of person that says it as it is, and you come with a fresh, honest transparency. Why didn't you pipe in and say something, Is it because it was a new school or you know.
Speaker 1: It's mostly because it's a new school.
Speaker 6: And also it's pretty much because I didn't want my daughter to be tainted. If I was the only mum that had any logical sense, I did. Actually, after some time had passed and it continued to escalate, people were saying, well, they should put cameras there to try and catch the thieves, and no one was chiming in. I did have one other mother who I knew reasonably well, and I started the snarky side chat, and she wrote back and said, clearly, these people don't have kids with ADHD. We lose three lunch boxes, not drink bottles, a blazer, and to set a beer ponds every week.
Speaker 1: And I thought, I found my people.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's time for a round of guilty or not guilty in our hands. We all have a paddle that says guilty on one side, not guilty on the other. Everyone has a question that they are sitting on that they do not look at until it's their turn. Okay, Mary, what is your question? We will answer it.
Speaker 4: Okay, here's the question. I've said, Hey, we should catch up soon to someone with zero intention of ever following through.
Speaker 3: That's guilty from.
Speaker 1: Me, guilty for mey guilty unanimous.
Speaker 4: I said something similar without I hope these people don't listen to the show. But my daughter was at a sporting event and I went to order a coffee and they recognized me and they said how they were huge fans. And then I got my coffee. I hadn't taken a sip yet, and they said, well, we see you again next week, and I said absolutely, and then I took a sip of the coffee. And it was so shite and I thought you will never see me never again.
Speaker 3: Shut down, guilty, shut down.
Speaker 7: Next question.
Speaker 5: Okay, guys, I've snooped through a partner's phone and I'd do it again.
Speaker 1: Guilty, guilty, guilty, not guilty.
Speaker 4: Never Mary, Mary is the only Mary. If I've got to look through their phone on with the wrong person.
Speaker 5: You've never looked through never Wow, in the past.
Speaker 4: I don't even think it was so long ago. I don't even think that they had phones. They probably did, but no, I just don't. I just don't question certain things are really just.
Speaker 1: Like I do.
Speaker 6: It's not necessarily because they're cheating or I think that they're cheating. I just like to keep an eye on what they're up to.
Speaker 2: Okay, right, looks like it's my question.
Speaker 3: Okay, ladies.
Speaker 2: I've bought a book put it on my bedside tables, so I look like someone who reads.
Speaker 3: But never opened it. It's guilty from me, guilty from me.
Speaker 2: I've got a nice stack that are color coded next to my bed, and the candle on that are just more of a feature.
Speaker 3: Is that for like? When? When?
Speaker 2: When I ever get lucky?
Speaker 4: And a bit like Kath, I've got them there either someone gave them to me with the hope that I would read them, or with you know, I think this could be nice. They either are someone that has written the book or someone that thinks I would like that book. But when I write, I know this makes no sense. I sort of can't read.
Speaker 5: People say that a lot of people when they're making movies. A lot of directors say that they can't watch other movies.
Speaker 1: When they're making a movie.
Speaker 2: I struggle to read when I'm trying to write Mary Coustas, We've got one from you.
Speaker 4: Yes, okay. My question is I've told someone their haircut looked great when it was a total disaster.
Speaker 3: Guilty, guilty, guilty guilty.
Speaker 1: What else are you supposed to say?
Speaker 6: Like you with the haircut, you have to comment on it because it's screaming at you.
Speaker 1: You can't say it looks bad saying that.
Speaker 2: I do love my friend Michelle, who after I spent a small fortune in the Sydney hairdressers that is so reputable as being amazing, and the guy was unwell when he did my color, I literally came out looking like you know, the gremlin spike that had like just one bit of color and everyone else. So it's fine, and Michelle went, I'm calling them now we're going straight back.
Speaker 3: So here's to the friends that tell truth.
Speaker 1: We all need a friend like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at Sally hepwis what is your question?
Speaker 1: The question is I think therapy is overrated?
Speaker 4: Oh not guilty, not guilty, guilty guilty? Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, there's two of us need to be getting a bit more therapy, and it's not us.
Speaker 1: I want to say.
Speaker 6: I have had a lot of therapy, and I all continue to read books and self help books and all of those things, and I've reached the point now that I think it's a little navel gayzy and sometimes we need to just get on with our lives.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, I, on the other hand, think if you think you've got a problem, then maybe you do. And if you can talk your problem out and hear yourself admit to it and literally be actively looking for a solution, then that's a good place to be.
Speaker 7: But you've had a less therapy than most people.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 4: I know, but when I did have it, it was super powerful.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 7: But you haven't had a ton of it.
Speaker 4: Do I need more? I'm saying no, no, no, But I had a problem I thought I couldn't overcome, and I went to a therapist and they gave me the tool, and then they gave me the bill.
Speaker 5: I I had a lot of therapy when I was younger, and like showering. I just have no time now the therapy. And I think that's what my girlfriends are for.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 3: We've got a sex therapist and I don't have sex. Friend of guys.
Speaker 1: It's been a big few weeks at the Hepworth house. I have been solo parenting.
Speaker 6: I have had my two parents in and out of hospital. I've moved into my new house and the gate's broken, the front door has needed three turns to get the lock fitted. It's been one thing after another, and the most recent thing was last week. I was on the way to pick up my daughter from school, got a flat tire. Oh no, and it was about twenty past three. I had to pick her up at three thirty. I am out of options in terms of how am I going to get her picked up? And I thought I can't get there, what am I going to do? And I had this moment in my head where I thought, imagine, Sally, you were one of those women who could change attire, you know, like I don't know many women like that, but imagine, imagine now what I would do is get out, get out some sort of winch.
Speaker 5: Yes, you know, you know, I don't know that the apparatus I need, but I know about a winch and and I and I got the wognuts or whatever they're called.
Speaker 2: It's it's getting confident with Spanish.
Speaker 1: Have any of these tools, right? Like, I don't even know. And so I pulled over to the side.
Speaker 6: Of the road and I did what every and I called my dad and he was able to pick up Clementine. And I then did the second part of what every girl would do, and I left the car on the side of the road, and I walked home and called my boyfriend and he came and tot with it. Now, as a single woman, single mother, feminist, all of those things, I spent quite a good amount of time thinking, is this something that you should have done? Should you have turned to your boyfriend and your dad in this moment, you know, should you have been able to take care of it yourself? And I decided on reflection, absolutely not, absolutely not. That was a moment that I was able to outsource that bit of my shit life to someone else, And actually I was glad that it was men that had to deal with it. I wasn't going to call any of my girlfriends, my lovely, smart, intelligent girlfriend, well dressed girlfriend and make them get on the ground and change a time. I wanted to call a man to come and take care of it, because how often do men actually come and take care of your problems?
Speaker 1: So I want to know, I feel really good about it. Yeah, I really spent a lot of time on it.
Speaker 6: I want to know, what have you guys accepted that you're never going to learn to do?
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't think it's going to come as a shock to our listeners or to the friends I have here on the couch, but I've almost accepted that I'm never going to be able to put on makeup. Ah, I don't have you guys. I know, and I know we will go down to Mecca. We will try and do a lesson. We will, we will try. But I have tried, and.
Speaker 1: By the way, I can.
Speaker 2: I thought the other day, God, I can.
Speaker 5: Follow a recipe, I can cook. Yes, It's not like I'm totally useless. But when it comes to being a.
Speaker 7: Girl, as we perceive a girl to be.
Speaker 4: I just didn't get the gene.
Speaker 5: I didn't get the style, Geen, I didn't get the makeup Jean, didn't get the I can't even blow out my own hair, Ladies, I cannot. I'm incapable, And I think I just have to accept it an outsource.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: You know what I've accepted. I'll never do is assemble anything from my Keea. It is a recipe for divorce. I mean seriously. I went to my Ka twice, actually three times in three days. Bruner is witness to this. On the first occasion, I bought a beautiful glass cabinet, pale pink with glass bits and everything, and my daughter and I said, we'll do this together. And George, my husband, came out and said, now you're going to read the booklet, aren't you. You're gonna You're gonna read it all the way through, and then you're going to start at the beginning, knowing what steps are coming beyond the first step. And I said yes. And anyone that's seen me perform live knows that I love to improvise. This includes Ikea as well. While I got so stressed and my daughter is like I like this about her, and yet it's a problem because I do believe all our best qualities are our worst qualities as well. I got it, Mum. I know exactly what I'm doing, and I'm like, great, one of us knows what we're doing. Well, three steps in, something doesn't fit. Why doesn't this fit? Mama, I'm gonna ask neat, No, don't step, don't ask ned Dad comes in with his pre prepared monologue. Come on, girls, what did I say? You've got to read it all the way through so you know what's coming. Long story long. We were under so much stress, my daughter and I because we knew he was right and we were wrong, and there were talks of between the tour then maybe we don't need to put the backbits in. Anyway, it was very, very, really hard, So I care is one of the things I will outsource from this point on. I have tried again and again and I've failed.
Speaker 6: Did you end up like thrusting the instruction guide at George and storming off?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: Because I like to get on the other side of a problem.
Speaker 3: We persisted.
Speaker 4: When pain persists, call a doctor. I didn't call a doctor. George got in there and we dismantled, and we began from the beginning and we did it the right way, and it took maybe two extra hours, but we got there in the air.
Speaker 7: That's just you can't get back.
Speaker 5: I've been brought to tears by trying to put together furniture. I just think you either have it not. I don't think it's male or female. I think you either have that part of your brain works or you do not. Guys, I've been avoiding something consistently my whole life.
Speaker 3: What's this, dentist?
Speaker 4: Oh, this would be common.
Speaker 5: This is no small thing for me. When I was younger, I had very traumatic experience at the local government dental hospital when I had to get braces and I went in and I feel like, without any kind of anesthesia, they ripped a couple of teeth out and I was traumatized for the rest of my life.
Speaker 3: It's horrendous.
Speaker 5: So several times in my life I've let some time pass before I visited a dentist.
Speaker 3: How much time we're talking?
Speaker 7: Okay, so the first time.
Speaker 3: Was ten years? What ten years?
Speaker 7: Yes, Cath, you did hear it correctly.
Speaker 5: I did let ten years pass before I set any one of my feet in a dentist's office at time.
Speaker 1: What period of your life was this that you didn't go for ten years?
Speaker 5: This was, you know, as an adult in my twenties thirties. But when it really hit me, I was in Los Angeles and married with kids, and my husband was often saying, oh, I just came back from the dentist, just another cleaning.
Speaker 4: Do you feel like he was underlining that dentist.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And at one point he did. He said to me, when was the last time you went.
Speaker 7: To the dentist. I said, all, oh, it's been a while. It might have been a while.
Speaker 5: So finally I was like, okay, Bruna, come on, now it's time your kids are going to the dentist. Maybe it's time you, you know, manned up and went to the dentist. So, of course, when you haven't been to a dentist for ten years, you go. There are some issues, you know. So there was a lot of work that got done, a lot of money spent, a lot of work got done. But no, and bear in mind, I have no pain threshold at all, so I have to be sedated for any kind of dental work. I'm talking valuum sedation or like having a Zadax for I going like, I have to have sedation.
Speaker 7: I cannot be conscious for any of it.
Speaker 1: So someone has to drive you in and pick you up.
Speaker 5: My husband would drive me in and pick me up anyway, so that's cut too. I go, oh, I'm back, okay, my teeth are good.
Speaker 7: And then COVID happens, and.
Speaker 5: Suddenly five years later, I'm in Australia and I'm like, oh, I haven't been to the dentist again in a few years.
Speaker 3: Five years, years, full five.
Speaker 4: I thought that was hand we check up, so.
Speaker 5: I hate going, but then suddenly I have some major issues. So now I'm paying the price. So I had to, unfortunately go and they said one of my tooth was done.
Speaker 7: It's dan skis.
Speaker 5: We're gonna have to take it out and put a pretend tooth in or what do they called it?
Speaker 7: A veneer.
Speaker 5: Now you might think that's a simple process, but apparently that's like a year and a very expensive process. As anyone else like knows, they have to deal with things and they just put it off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got a medical situation, well a medical thing that I'm putting off. I mean, I'm a massive hypochondriac. Me too, but I was putting off, going, I have like a lump in my boom, so sure.
Speaker 1: They're not crystals that you've put hilarious.
Speaker 6: They're not.
Speaker 2: But I was really putting it off, like because I've got really into telehealth. It's COVID, you don't have to see the doc. Yeah, But I finally went this week and you know, she checked it. I'm going to have an ultrasound and stuff next week. She's not worried about it. She thinks it's something to do with, you know, perimenopause and different sort of whatevers. But we're going to check because at three in the morning, that's the I just like touch it and roll my hand over it and go, what.
Speaker 6: Is that I.
Speaker 3: Did two years ago? Okay?
Speaker 2: But then I felt like I was a hypochondriac because this thing kind of appeared and I was like, I'll put it off. But she's like, no, anyway, so have my mamogram booked in for next week.
Speaker 6: Good girl, Well I have one that I have been putting off. I actually also have health hypochondria. And I went to the dermatologist yesterday to get my skin check, which was great. I got that off my list. But while I was there. The dermatologist said, do you want to do anything about your facial hair? Oh? And I said what I said, because I have a beard since menopause, and and I had been thinking about doing it, but you know, it ended up, you know, down the list of things because there's a few things going on. And I actually really like her, so you know, it wasn't that bad. But and she said, you've got to get, you know, a move on it before and I'm like, before they turn gray and you can't lazer them anymore.
Speaker 1: And it's true o'clock. Yeah, I've finished it off for it because I already knew.
Speaker 6: And that's why all of us here, I know, so really, So essentially, what she said is that if they're dark, or if they're pigmented, go now because you can.
Speaker 1: Do because it's it's it's cheaper. This is there works very well.
Speaker 6: But as soon as they're gray, you're on the electrolysis, which is much more painful and invasive and expensive.
Speaker 7: Mary, what have you been putting off.
Speaker 4: Dealing with my super?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I do feel like it could be working harder for me. I feel like my super is like a cleaner that I've ignored, you know, like how cleaners always clean the best on the first time they clean your house, and then they start cutting corners, like before my cleaner comes and I like this cleaner, but I'm still pulling things away from the sides of the walls. Like I'll pull out every you know, chopping board away from where it leans on the wall so they can get behind there and clean there. And I'll pull furniture away from the wall so that they get behind the furniture. I feel the same with my super that I've you know, it's not working for me to the degree where it should and I need to sort of manage more of my super so that it earns more.
Speaker 7: I don't understand. Can you control your that you can.
Speaker 4: You can go in and you can control and you can make some cash and some you know like this, there's stuff like this. I do believe for many, many women, and I'm speaking very generally, that how we deal with our money is a blind spot for us.
Speaker 3: Just super.
Speaker 6: I mean, there are so many things like that that if you just ring up with your mortgage, you can get you know, just one phone call can get a discount, or your or your energy companies or that is a constant thing that's on your list, thinking of insurance, the car insurance, you know what else? I've been putting off a wool wash. Just got this pile of jumpers sitting there like they've gone there to die.
Speaker 1: And I look at them every.
Speaker 6: Now and then and I'm like, I know I need to do a wool wash, but like I pretty much should just put them in the bin because.
Speaker 4: I never winters. Where were we're in winter?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I'll get to it.
Speaker 7: Mary.
Speaker 1: It's been a pretty few weeks.
Speaker 3: I think it's fair.
Speaker 5: So I've never heard the words wool wash.
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 1: What about don't I don't like wool.
Speaker 7: I don't. It doesn't.
Speaker 5: It just grades on my skin. So I don't have a lot of wool, so I don't have to do a wall wash.
Speaker 1: You don't have your cash me or your marine or wool.
Speaker 3: You can't just put it in the.
Speaker 1: Machine because it felts.
Speaker 2: Oh, and I've got a wool cycle on my machine.
Speaker 1: This has motivated me. I'm going to go home and wash those wooly jumpers.
Speaker 4: Okay, bit of a gear change here. Speaking of things we're trying to avoid, here's one thing we can't avoid death. I mean, we can take better care of ourselves and we can try not to think about it, but it's not really listening to us. What I was listening to was Roy Valentine's eulogy for his beautiful father, James Valentine, who died recently. For those of you that don't know, James Valentine was an incredible broadcaster. His parents came from broadcasting as well, and he was on the ABC for many, many years. But he was also a horned player that played for the Models, and he had a whole big music career prior to this. He died recently and his beautiful son, Roy Valentine, gave one of the most incredible eulogies, and what I loved about what he had to say was what his father would say to him and his sister most days, which was how do you want to live? Which is a really interesting question. Here's a little of what his son Roy said at his memorial service.
Speaker 8: How do you want to live? How do you want to live? My dad figured out how to ask us this question rather than what do you want to be? The first question suggests a way of living that could be fast or slow, rich or poor city or country. It also implies doing it now. The second question ignores all that stuff that matters and focuses on some endpoint. Happiness will be yours when you reach it, but you never do. The person who aspires is not the person who attains. How do you want to live? My dad lived exactly how he wanted to live. His days consisted of conversations, friends, family, music, laughter, cooking, bushwalking, swimming, A life prioritizing joy, A life insisting on silliness while finding the depth in the mundane, A life prioritizing what nurtured his soul. My dad lived exactly how he wanted to live.
Speaker 3: Brilliant, isn't it?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 8: Wow?
Speaker 3: That's I love it.
Speaker 4: It's just such a great reminder of, you know, just being true to yourself and having you know, a vision that you can actually execute, you know, like the all things, our little passions, scattering passions throughout our days and our lives, and stop waiting for that moment where everything has to perfectly align in order for you to achieve what you need to achieve in terms of how you want to live. I just love that. Also, you know you're gonna ask yourself, how do you want to die, you know, because I used to work with a very famous entrepreneur and producer called Harry and Miller. I don't know whether most of the listeners remember Harry, but Harry used to go to a lot of funerals, as we all do, and he kept a file on his computer of how he wanted his funeral to be, and you know, and said, this is where I want the speakers to be, this is who I want to speak, this is how I want it to look. And you know, we don't think about that because it's a hard thing to think about death, and yet it's the thing that's the one thing we all share in common. Brunna and I went to our good friend's mother's funeral a few days ago, and.
Speaker 3: It was beautiful.
Speaker 4: It was beautiful to see a whole life put together for what was an incredible service. The three daughters got up and spoke, as did the grandchildren, and we learned more about their mother in that like small little service that was beautiful and intimate and personal than we'd known. We'd known this woman for the last thirty thirty five years, and there was so much we didn't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Mary has this great line in her stage show, which is like death that has one billion followers and zero likes, which is the last something that is.
Speaker 7: So kind of profound.
Speaker 5: I love that eulogy, and it's something I've been thinking about so much. And we've all lost people over the years, some old, some way too young, and I've got to be honest, like, I don't drown now in sorrow. I just asked myself that same question that he talks about, how we're going to live, and it is this thing we talk about it exactly like you said, it can't be an idea you aspired to.
Speaker 7: It has to be something that you're actually doing.
Speaker 5: Yes, And so that's what I keep thinking about all the time, and thought about that same as Mary at the funeral the other day, looking at how she lived. I'm not interested in thinking about how I die or what that funeral looks like. I couldn't care less. I'm interested in what we do when we're kind of on this earth.
Speaker 6: So it occurs to me that when people are close to death or they know that they're going to die, often their minds seem to turn to what am I going to leave?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 6: And it might be financially, what am I going to leave? What am I going to leave my children with? You know, both emotionally as well as you know all of those other things. But to then flip that on its head and go, how am I going to live? Instead of sort of working your whole life to what you're going to leave behind, by thinking how I'm going to live, you end up leaving so much more, don't you get? Hundreds and living for yourself? I think that sometimes the circle of life can be that you're always trying to, you know, to leave something and to do better for the next people that are coming, and to look after your children. But actually our lives are for us, and by living completely fully and so earnest, doesn't it, But we are actually leaving such a richer kind of generation.
Speaker 7: I think too.
Speaker 5: Isn't it like this idea that you can't sell anything? I have to leave it. You have to build this legacy or financial stability for my children. And I'm like, why we built it?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 5: Why not let them build it themselves? And why not live and enjoy those experiences. I prioritize experience above all else, I think financially.
Speaker 6: Bruna, you told me something the other day about just speaking of death and about if you.
Speaker 1: Ended up on life support, can you share that with us?
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe I'm an outlier here because my husband and I have completely different directives. You know, We've talked about all that stuff and maybe it's selfish, and I think it is. But I am the person who says, keep me alive at all costs, and.
Speaker 3: That's kind of what I mean. Like, I've worked hard my whole life.
Speaker 5: I hope I'm in a position where I'm like my husband's like, so you would be fine becoming a financial burden, and I was like, yep, because I believe medicine is moving at such a fast pace then maybe something will come along.
Speaker 2: So save me.
Speaker 6: Your brain did and you are on lot. You're on a machine that's keeping you alive, no brain function. They're all saying that she will never wake up. You want to keep your whole family in limbo and financial distress.
Speaker 1: I really hope to get your whim.
Speaker 5: But if you saw my Google history, it literally is like cry it.
Speaker 7: What's it called criogenics?
Speaker 5: Like I'm literally always trying to find out, like what's the cost of, you know, putting yourself on ice and tell something shifts? Listen medicine is changing faster than any of us can ever imagine.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, sorry, but.
Speaker 5: I like being in the world and I am that person. I'm not brave enough to be the opposite.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean bringing it right back to the living, the very much living. My seventeen year old son just hearing Roy Valentine's speech, that's really filled me with because we are right in the what am I going to do when.
Speaker 3: I leave school? We're right in the what do you want to be?
Speaker 2: And that has just totally reframed how I want to have that conversation with him. Yes, about It's not the end game or being the astronaut or the mechanic or the footy star.
Speaker 8: Is it.
Speaker 2: It's about how you want to show up? Is your life fast or slow?
Speaker 3: Do you want to.
Speaker 2: Live it here or oversee? You know what a what a fabulous waiter. Yeah, it's great to repaint the kind.
Speaker 3: Of the chat. So that's that is my takeaway from this.
Speaker 4: I think you could equally substitute how do you want to live with how do you want to love? Too, and then that might inform the other because I think at the end of the day, and that day will end for all of us. It's how you've loved. That's what you've left behind more than anything. And going to our friend's mother's funeral, you know, it was all about that, nothing more. And that's a simple reminder. Sometimes we need to keep it simple for ourselves.
Speaker 3: We get so.
Speaker 4: Overwhelmed with bigger ideas and concepts and more achievements and more this and more that. How do you love and how do you want to be loved? I think is an equally important question.
Speaker 6: I know that I haven't known you guys all that long, but I really love you guys.
Speaker 3: We love you.
Speaker 4: I love you. It's so bad. I feel like we fell in love on the first date. I feel like that mental person that the minute we all got together for that photo shoot at the beginning, I was like, has my heart just expanded with time?
Speaker 5: I'm not sure I'm in love completely head over heels.
Speaker 3: I'm only kidding.
Speaker 2: Big week in the Mahony John's household.
Speaker 3: Last week, lou my.
Speaker 2: Son had his year twelve formal. Oh that deal, it was a big deal.
Speaker 1: Has he got a girlfriend or did he take a date?
Speaker 2: Or a boy took a date? You know they're not boyfriend and girlfriend. There were strict rules around you know, not talking to her because.
Speaker 3: I don't are you talking to her?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: It was very clear.
Speaker 2: So this is all new to me. There's there's things called prieze have you.
Speaker 3: Heard of those?
Speaker 1: We had PRIs so a pre.
Speaker 2: For those that don't know is where all the parents get together with the kids before they go in formal. So we had our lovely friend Lusette god bless Her hosted about sixty people forty year twelve couples.
Speaker 3: And then their parents.
Speaker 2: You know, you get the photos before they go off in the sort of bus or whatever they go on to the year twelve formal and lou was very specific that we basically don't make eye contact or speak to his date to to dad and I, which was difficult when you're having a group photo.
Speaker 1: Did you go with his dad?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, we did that. So it was lovely.
Speaker 2: We've got some great photos, some awkward family photos and for me like so obviously if I had a daughter, we would have gone dress shopping and there would have been makeup.
Speaker 3: I'm sure there would have been a spray town.
Speaker 2: There would have been some hair situation, makeup shoes like the lot where it comes to boys.
Speaker 3: Dad was on suit duty. So the only thing that I.
Speaker 2: Could get involved with was to buy the corsah. They still do the yes for his date, and so I inquired what color dress she was wearing and.
Speaker 3: I was told it was black.
Speaker 2: And I was so then that the florist was like, do you want a black ribbon with the flowers? And I was like, I don't know if I should make that choice for her, you know, like, Luke, can you ask her? He didn't want to ask her. I was like, can I have a number? Absolutely not, So to be safe, we went with white in case she didn't want that so or in case she didn't wear the black dress.
Speaker 3: But when I picked up.
Speaker 2: The corsage, I just thought I never had a formal.
Speaker 3: I never went to a formal.
Speaker 2: No one Zeba bought me a corsage like I wanted to have, like a Mother of the Sun formal corsage made so that I could just wear a little cheeky corsar.
Speaker 1: Why did you not did they not do that in the UK? Or why did you not go to a formal?
Speaker 3: They didn't do it in the UK, you know.
Speaker 2: So the pain of growing up watching American movies and prom and grease and pretty and pink and just wanting the dress and the hair and the dance, and yeah we never had it.
Speaker 1: So do you feel like you've been jypped? You know, you haven't been able to you know, because you would have been the perfect girl to go to a formal. You're so beautiful, you love the frogs. You could have got the hair done. Like, how do you feel?
Speaker 3: I feel really ripped off? Yeah, I feel really ripped off.
Speaker 2: And like I just I don't have a care memory of the taffata one shoulder dress.
Speaker 1: Oh, you would have looked so beautiful in.
Speaker 2: I think, looking back with my very very sort of tweezed eyebrows, A don't how good I would have looked.
Speaker 1: Tapeta blue Tapeter with the eyebrows would have been great.
Speaker 4: Kath you are the most stylish woman I know. I feel like you're dressing from a prom every single day exactly, the only thing that's missing is the corsage, the rest. You always look immaculate, like every day's a prom for you.
Speaker 6: Guys, I went to quite a few jimals, Yes I did. Yes, well, we had one in year eleven and year twelve, and then I was invited to guy I went to an all girls school, so then I was invited to a couple and I can just give you the quickened dirty. Basically, you go to a dress shop. In my day, you would buy a dress. We all went to this one called Memphis in Melbourne.
Speaker 3: You'd go and.
Speaker 6: When you bought a dress, they they would write down in a book, in a paper diary, which dress you'd bought and which ball you were going to, so there wasn't two people wearing the same. And then you'd have your hair appointment and you'd go in there and you'd end up with some Betty Boo hair and they'd assure you that it would drop, and it never completely dropped.
Speaker 4: That was in the years of Moose and Dray and.
Speaker 1: Never ever dropped.
Speaker 6: And then the makeup artists would come and do like fifteen artists.
Speaker 1: She was absolutely not an artist.
Speaker 6: She had pancake, remember that, like orange pancake, a lort of eyebrows.
Speaker 1: Actually she might have been good for you, Cath and we all looked like Dolly Parton.
Speaker 6: Yeah, anyone with boobs had them pushed up to their necks. I didn't, and then you got your corsage. But one of my core memories actually it was my very first. It was my year eleven ball. It was the first one i'd been to. I had a boyfriend, which was one of those year eleven type boyfriends that we didn't really talk to each other much, and we kissed a couple of times, but you know, and I thought we were going to get married. He was very handsome, and he arrived at the we caught it before parties, the pre which was at my house. He arrived late in a taxi with a bag of McDonald's.
Speaker 1: And he had a little bit of ketchup on his fail and came in, didn't talk to me, didn't have a corsage, and then.
Speaker 6: We got to the ball. We went in our limos. We got to the ball, he broke up with me, kissed another girl, interesting twist, married her and they have three.
Speaker 1: Kids together, so that's nice for them. Were heartbroken on the night, Not really, I wouln't kiss someone else too. We did, okay, but that was the kind of thing.
Speaker 6: That would happen at these balls. But that was getting ready, the shopping for the dress. All of those things were so lovely and I'm.
Speaker 1: Sorry that you didn't.
Speaker 6: I have that like it feels like of all people, kath you were the one who should have had this formal experience, or at least had a daughter to you could go and do all the frock I've got two nieces.
Speaker 3: I'm just gonna yeah exactly.
Speaker 6: And you can take my daughter, Clementine dress shopping when she goes to her ball. She actually looks a lot like you, so they'll mistake you for mother and daughter for sure.
Speaker 3: Lock me in is Memphis still open?
Speaker 1: I think we can do better.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well that is all we have time for today.
Speaker 2: Now, before you go back into the world, can we ask you one tiny thing. If you have that one friend that you know needs a bit of unleashed in her life, share the show, Share the show, share the love, send her the link. We don't have a big budget for any billboards or any advertising, so you ladies out there are our walking share the love. And I just have to say before we go, I had one of the loveliest things happened to me on the weekend. I was getting my hair blow dried and there was a beautiful lady who was sat at one of the other chairs just having her hair finished, called Melissa, and Melissa I could see was kind of looking at me, and then when I sat down and she was.
Speaker 3: Like, you have my home said yes, I'm so excited. I never support it before, and she said I knew it was you.
Speaker 2: She said, I was just texting my daughter because I love Unleashed and she was like, whatever you do, don't fan girl the lady mum, but she said so, I just can't help myself. Anyway, we had a chat. She told me about how she loves all of us. Tuesday is a favorite day and anyway, she was kind of done before I was. And then she left, and a lovely lady that runs the salon came in and said, she's just paid for your blow dry. I've never done anything like that. Very lovely. I love that.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Thank you Melissa very very much.
Speaker 1: And if you ever visit Melbourne, I like to go to this.
Speaker 2: Honestly, you guys are why we make the show. We bloody love you back.
Speaker 3: We do.
Speaker 2: You can DM us anytime at Unleashed dot show on Instagram.
Speaker 3: We love getting messages.
Speaker 2: Don't we, ladies do we see them all And as we like to say, ladies seeing it Tuesday. Until then, stay unfiltered, stay unreasonable, Stay unleashed by Mamma Mia acknowledges the traditional owners of land and waters that this podcast is recorded on